- FoxNews 03:21July 15, 2020California's Death Valley could hit 130 degrees, the hottest temperature ever recordedThe temperature hit 129.2 degrees on June 30, 2013.
< article, Fox News, Shawn Carter, fnc, fnc/science, fox-news/weather, fox-news/science, fox-news/us/disasters/heat-wave >
- FoxNews 03:19July 15, 2020Chinese companies with US subsidiaries got coronavirus stimulus funds, report saysMultiple subsidiaries of Chinese companies based in the U.S. have received millions in coronavirus relief loans, according to data from the U.S. Treasury Department.
< article, Fox News, Bradford Betz, fnc, fnc/world, fox-news/world/world-regions/china, fox-news/politics/defense, fox-news/health/infectious-disease/coronavirus >
- FoxNews 03:18July 15, 2020The Miami Herald's Casey Frank on key takeaways from Ghislaine Maxwell's bail hearingJeffrey Epstein associate Ghislaine Maxwell was denied bail after the prosecution argued she posed an extreme flight risk; reaction from The Miami Herald's Casey Frank.
< video, 6171677748001, FoxNews.com, Martha Maccallum, fnc, the story with martha maccallum, requests/root, requests, on_air, personality/martha_maccallum, us/crime/sex_crimes, primary_us, on_air/the_story_with_martha_maccallum, us/crime, us, personality >
- FoxNews 03:02July 15, 2020Black conservatives kick off campaign to save Emancipation MemorialThe statue has been the target of recent protests and even D.C. delegate Eleanor Holmes Norton called to remove the “problematic” statue.
< article, Fox News, Morgan Phillips, fnc, fnc/politics, fox-news/us/washington-dc, fox-news/us/us-protests >
- FoxNews 02:55July 15, 2020Human rights activist Ayaan Hirsi Ali praises conservative columnist Bari Weiss' courageNew York Times opinion columnist and editor Bari Weiss announced her resignation on Tuesday, saying she was bullied by colleagues; reaction from Hoover Institution fellow Ayaan Hirsi Ali.
< video, 6171672053001, FoxNews.com, Martha Maccallum, fnc, the story with martha maccallum, requests/root, requests, on_air, personality/martha_maccallum, on_air/the_story_with_martha_maccallum, personality, media >
- FoxNews 02:50July 15, 2020UK outlet mocked for describing statement 'only females get cervical cancer' as 'transphobic lie'The U.K.-based LGBT-oriented outlet PinkNews received a wave of mockery Tuesday after claiming that feminists were "transphobic" for claiming that only females are able to get cervical cancer.
< article, Fox News, Sam Dorman, fnc, fnc/media, fox-news/media, fox-news/world/world-regions/united-kingdom, fox-news/tech/companies/twitter, fox-news/health/cancer, fox-news/health/cancer/cervical-cancer >
- FoxNews 02:48July 15, 2020Trump calls Confederate flag ‘freedom of speech,’ gives heated response on police brutalityPresident Trump said the Confederate flag should be protected under the First Amendment.
< article, Fox News, Nick Givas, fnc, fnc/politics, fox-news/person/donald-trump, fox-news/politics/elections/first-amendment, fox-news/politics/executive/white-house, fox-news/media >
- FoxNews 02:44July 15, 2020Rep. Shelia Jackson Lee reacts to surging gun violence in USAt least 21 children have been killed in the U.S. since July Fourth; reaction from Texas Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee on 'The Story.'
< video, 6171674442001, FoxNews.com, fnc, the story with martha maccallum, requests/root, requests, politics, on_air, primary_politics, politics/house_representatives, on_air/the_story_with_martha_maccallum, politics/house_representatives/democrats >
- FoxNews 02:39July 15, 2020California bars LAPD info in gang database amid alleged falsified records scandalCalifornia's top law enforcement officer has pulled access to data entered by the Los Angeles Police Department into the state's gang database amid a criminal investigation into more than a dozen of its officers for possibly falsifying records.
< article, Fox News, Louis Casiano, fnc, fnc/us, fox-news/us/crime/police-and-law-enforcement, fox-news/us/us-regions/west/california, fox-news/us/los-angeles, fox-news/us/crime >
- FoxNews 01:35July 15, 2020Aztec palace and conquistador’s house discovered beneath historic Mexico City buildingArchaeologists have uncovered the remains of an Aztec palace and a conquistador’s house in the heart of Mexico City.
< article, Fox News, James Rogers, fnc, fnc/science, fox-news/columns/digging-history, fox-news/science/archaeology, fox-news/science/archaeology/culture, fox-news/science/archaeology/history >
- FoxNews 01:33July 15, 2020Geraldo Rivera accuses judge who denied Ghislaine Maxwell bail of 'copping out to the mob'Fox News correspondent-at-large Geraldo Rivera accused the New York federal judge presiding over Ghislaine Maxwell's case of "copping out to the mob" Tuesday after she denied the British socialite's bail request as she awaits trial on sex trafficking charges.
< article, Fox News, Yael Halon, fnc, fnc/media, fox-news/media/fox-news-flash, fox-news/shows/bill-hemmer-reports, fox-news/person/jeffrey-epstein, fox-news/person/ghislaine-maxwell, fox-news/us/crime/trials, fox-news/us/us-regions/northeast/new-york >
- FoxNews 01:32July 15, 2020Trump lashes out at Biden in Rose Garden: 'There's never been a time when two candidates were so different'Trump laid into his Democratic rival for his policy proposal on immigration, criminal justice reform and climate change among other issues.
< article, Fox News, Andrew O'Reilly, fnc, fnc/politics, fox-news/person/donald-trump, fox-news/person/joe-biden, fox-news/politics/2020-presidential-election >
- Business Insider 01:30July 15, 2020How Rupert Murdoch turned a small Australian newspaper into a global media empire — and built a family dynasty worth $17 billionKeystone/Getty Images Australian-born billionaire Rupert Murdoch, 89, helms a media empire made up of newspapers like The Wall Street Journal, television networks like Fox News, and a handful of other publications across the world.
A new three-part documentary on Murdoch's life and influence debuted on BBC Two this week.
Murdoch inherited his very first newspaper from his father, who was a war reporter turned publisher.
Bloomberg estimates his individual net worth to be $6.34 billion as of July 13, while Forbes pegs the Murdoch family's collective fortune at $17 billion.
Following Disney's $71 billion purchase of 21st Century Fox assets, Murdoch distributed $12 billion in proceeds to his six children.
In December 2019, Murdoch's son Lachlan purchased Chartwell, a historic Bel-Air estate, for $150 million. The purchase set a California record and is the third-priciest home sale ever recorded in the US.
Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories. Rupert Murdoch's name is one synonymous with media, but it took decades to build his sprawling empire.
He owns dozens upon dozens of newspapers spanning three continents, founded the Fox network — responsible for revolutionizing cable television to what it is today — in the 1980s, and has a net worth $6.34 billion, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index, which pegs him as the 300th-richest person in the world. Forbes, meanwhile, ranks Murdoch and his family at No. 68 on their own billionaires list with a combined net worth of $17 billion.
Over the span of his five-decade career, Murdoch has been in four marriages and has six kids. He's also been the subject of a variety of scandals, most prominently when his UK-based paper News of the World was forced to shutter after it was found to have hacked the phone of a slain teenager.
In March 2019, Murdoch received $12 billion from Disney's purchase of Fox assets and distributed the proceeds to his children, boosting his dynasty's collective wealth.
Take a look at how Murdoch got his start, the deals he has made, and the growth of his family and empire.Rupert Murdoch graduated from Oxford University, then known as Worcester College, in 1952.
David Madison / Contributor/ Getty Images
His father, Sir Keith Murdoch, a war reporter turned publisher, died the same year, and Murdoch went back to Australia to take over the family business at the age of 22.
Source: BBC News
Murdoch, seen here in 1960, inherited a chain of Australian newspapers from his father. According to Bloomberg, Murdoch embedded himself in all matters of production, from writing copy to managing the printer and redesigning page layouts.
Keystone/Hulton Archive/Getty Images
He especially made it a priority to include "lurid stories and scandals," which made paper sales boom. He began buying other publications, including The Daily Mirror and the Perth Sunday Times.
Murdoch then went on to found Australia's first nationwide newspaper, The Australian, in 1964.
Amer Ghazzal / Barcroft Images / Barcroft Media via Getty Images
Murdoch later founded News Corporation, known as News Corp, which now owns more than 170 papers worldwide.
Source: BBC News
See the rest of the story at Business InsiderSee Also:Meet Goya Foods CEO Robert Unanue, who sparked a protest of his Latino foods company after saying the US was 'truly blessed' to have Trump as presidentWealthy New Yorkers are snapping up homes in Greenwich, Connecticut — one of the richest cities in America — as the pandemic progresses. I spent a day there and here's what it was like.Inside Britney Spears' conservatorship, the 12-year legal arrangement that prevents the pop star from controlling her life and $59 million fortuneSEE ALSO: A $150 million estate with an underground tunnel just shattered California's real-estate record. Here are the 15 most expensive homes sold in the US over the past decade.
NOW READ: Meet the 15 richest American family 'dynasties,' who have a combined net worth of $618 billion
< Features, Rupert Murdoch, Wall Street Journal, Fox news, News Corp, Murdoch, Billionaire, BI Select, Arts & Culture, Lachlan Murdoch, Disney Fox, Murdoch family, >
- FoxNews 01:27July 15, 2020Arkansas police officer charged after colleague's shooting death on his doorstepArkansas authorities say a police officer allegedly told a co-worker that he’d shoot through his door if protesters arrived on his front step in May following nationwide unrest over the police-involved death of George Floyd in Minneapolis. Then a colleague was shot to death through the officer’s door.
< article, Fox News, Michael Ruiz, fnc, fnc/us, fox-news/us/us-regions/midwest/arkansas, fox-news/us/crime/police-and-law-enforcement, fox-news/us/us-protests, fox-news/person/george-floyd >
- New York Magazine 01:20July 15, 2020Joe Biden Needs to Win Big to Avoid a Contested ElectionIf Donald Trump is ahead on Election Night even with a majority of the vote uncounted, look out!
< politics, vision 2020, joe biden, donald trump, voting by mail, contested election, 2000 presidential election, 2018 midterms, kevin mccarthy, paul ryan >
- FoxNews 01:19July 15, 2020Tennessee doctor who tested positive after leading coronavirus meeting now on the mend, said he almost diedDr. Daniel Lewis claimed to have almost died when he contracted COVID-19 after attending a meeting about how to limit the spread of the virus.
< article, Fox News, Nick Givas, fnc, fnc/us, fox-news/health/infectious-disease/coronavirus, fox-news/us/us-regions/southeast/tennessee, fox-news/us, fox-news/health >
- FoxNews 01:04July 15, 2020John Legend admits he cheated in the past before meeting Chrissy TeigenJohn Legend admitted he wasn't the best boyfriend in the past.
< article, Fox News, Jessica Napoli, fnc, fnc/entertainment, fox-news/entertainment/celebrity-news, fox-news/entertainment/events/couples, fox-news/entertainment, fox-news/person/chrissy-teigen, fox-news/entertainment/events/marriage >
- FoxNews 01:03July 15, 2020Trump signs executive order to hold China accountable for actions against Hong HongPresident Trump on Tuesday announced two actions his administration has taken against China as tensions between Washington and Beijing continue to rise.
< article, Fox News, Andrew O'Reilly, fnc, fnc/politics, fox-news/person/donald-trump, fox-news/world/world-regions/china, fox-news/world/world-regions/hong-kong >
- FoxNews 01:00July 15, 2020Jemele Hill on DeSean Jackson's anti-Semitic posts: 'Unfortunate truth' is Black Americans have 'cultural blindspot'The Atlantic staff writer Jemele Hill addressed the anti-Semitic posts made by Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver DeSean Jackson, suggesting in an op-ed on Monday that it stems from a much larger issue among Black Americans, including herself.
< article, Fox News, Joseph Wulfsohn, fnc, fnc/media, fox-news/media, fox-news/sports/nfl/philadelphia-eagles, fox-news/sports, fox-news/us/us-protests >
- FoxNews 00:57July 15, 2020Free agent OF Yasiel Puig, Braves reach 1-yr dealFree agent outfielder Yasiel Puig and the Atlanta Braves have agreed to a one-year deal, a person with knowledge of the deal said Tuesday.
< article, Associated Press, fnc, fnc/sports, fox-news/person/yasiel-puig, fox-news/sports/mlb/atlanta-braves, fox-news/sports/mlb >
- FoxNews 00:51July 15, 2020Chinese state media editor-in-chief asks if US is 'mentally retarded'The editor-in-chief for The Global Times, a state-funded newspaper in China, asked Monday if the United States is “mentally retarded” for rejecting Beijing’s broad territorial claims in the South China Sea, a region with long-standing disputes between China and other Southeast Asian countries.
< article, Fox News, Bradford Betz, fnc, fnc/world, fox-news/world/world-regions/china, fox-news/world/world-regions/asia, fox-news/us/washington-dc >
- New York Magazine 00:38July 15, 2020Feds Restart Executions, Killing in Our Name During a Deadly PandemicAfter a 17-year hiatus on federal executions, the Justice Department had no good reason to execute prisoners this week.
< executions, brennan center, president trump, justice department, william barr, justice, politics >
- Business Insider 00:27July 15, 2020The 5 questions I've gotten most as a financial coach since the COVID-19 pandemic began I work as a financial coach, and since the pandemic began I've been getting a lot of similar questions.
My clients have been curious about how much to save in their emergency funds, and what to do with money they've saved for houses or other large purchases.
They've also been asking about how to start investing, and how to prioritize their savings in a financially uncertain world.
SmartAsset's free tool can find a financial planner to help you take control of your money » As a financial coach who speaks and teaches courses on financial literacy, I get a lot of similar questions about money. Most have to do with paying down debt, saving, setting up a budget, and general investing questions.
My goal as a coach is to educate and inspire, and then guide others to a decision that feels right for them and fits with their financial values. Like everything in life, there are tradeoffs to choosing one route over another and there is not a "one-size-fits-all" approach to personal financial decision-making. See the rest of the story at Business InsiderSee Also:Gen Z banks, invests, and manages their money via app — but they still want to talk to a human for adviceI'm using a 4-part strategy to save for retirement thanks to some advice I got from my financial adviserHow to flip the 'debt snowball' strategy to build an emergency savings fund fast
< Financial Planning, Financial Coaching, saving money, coronavirus, Personal Finance Insider, PFI Related Content Module, pfi, PFI Related Product Module, PFI SmartAsset, PFI SmartAdvisor, PFI-XAMP, >
- AdWeek 00:21July 15, 2020Microsoft Creates AI That Can Generate a Realistic Singing VoiceMicrosoft is proving that artificial intelligence can realistically carry a tune in a new experiment published this week called DeepSinger. The company's researchers trained the system on data from music websites, using machine learning to isolate the vocal tracks from the instrumentals, then had it sing sets of lyrics in both Chinese and English acapella....
< Artificial Intelligence >
- The Daily Beast 00:06July 15, 2020Geraldo Rivera Blasts Judge for Denying Bail to Ghislaine Maxwell: She ‘Chickened Out’Fox NewsFox News correspondent-at-large Geraldo Rivera vehemently disagreed with U.S. District Judge Alison Nathan for denying alleged Jeffrey Epstein madam Ghislaine Maxwell bail on Tuesday, claiming the judge caved to the “mob” and “chickened out.”Maxwell, who has been charged with four counts of child sex trafficking and two counts of perjury, pleaded not guilty to the charges on Tuesday and her trial was set for July 2021. Nathan then denied Maxwell bail, meaning the accused sex trafficker will remain in custody for a year.“The court finds by a preponderance of the evidence that no combination could reasonably assure her presence in court,” the judge said. “The risks are simply too great.”Read more at The Daily Beast.
< Arts and Culture >
- FoxNews 00:03July 15, 2020Biden unveils $2 trillion plan to boost clean energy, rebuild infrastructureDemocratic presidential nominee Joe Biden on Tuesday unveiled $2 trillion plan to boost clean energy, rebuild infrastructure.
< article, Fox News, Paul Steinhauser, Madeleine Rivera, fnc, fnc/politics, fox-news/politics/elections, fox-news/politics/2020-presidential-election, fox-news/us/environment/climate-change, fox-news/health/infectious-disease/coronavirus, fox-news/politics, fox-news/person/joe-biden, fox-news/politics/elections/campaigning/trump-2020-campaign, fox-news/person/donald-trump, fox-news/us/us-regions/northeast/delaware, fox-news/person/bernie-sanders, fox-news/person/alexandria-ocasio-cortez >
- Coindesk 00:03July 15, 2020This New Coding Language Could Help Unlock Bitcoin’s Smart Contract PotentialWith the introduction of Sapio, Jeremy Rubin hopes to expand Bitcoin's smart contract use cases and increase the "financial self-sovereignty" of its users.
< Tech, Smart Contracts, Coding, Sapio, CTV, Jeremy Rubin >
- FoxNews 00:03July 15, 2020Tourists cause problems at Spanish beaches by claiming spots and then leaving for hours: reportSome people will always try to cheat the system.
< article, Fox News, Michael Hollan, fnc, fnc/travel, fox-news/travel/general/beach, fox-news/health/infectious-disease/coronavirus >
- FoxNews 00:02July 15, 2020Liberal journalists dismiss, mock Bari Weiss' departure from The New York TimesMany liberal journalists shrugged off the fiery exit of New York Times opinion editor Bari Weiss, some even mocking the writer over the open letter she had penned to the paper's publisher.
< article, Fox News, Joseph Wulfsohn, fnc, fnc/media, fox-news/media, fox-news/tech/companies/twitter, fox-news/us/us-protests, fox-news/politics >
- Breitbart News 00:00July 15, 2020Joe Biden Proposes New DOJ Environmental Justice Division to Fight PollutionFormer Vice President Joe Biden is planning to create a new division within the Department of Justice (DOJ) to combat pollution and advance "environmental and climate justice."
< 2020 Election, Environment, Politics, 2020 Presidential Race, Bernie Sanders, Climate Change, Department of Justice, Joe Biden, Mike Bloomberg >
- FoxNews 23:54July 14, 2020Odell Beckham nearly retired after gruesome Giants injuryOdell Beckham Jr.’s broken ankle in 2017 had him so down, he nearly quit. The then-Giants receiver was so upset about the injury and what he was dealing with at the time, he thought about retiring.
< article, New York Post, Zach Braziller, fnc, fnc/sports, fox-news/person/odell-beckham-jr, fox-news/sports/nfl/cleveland-browns, fox-news/sports/nfl >
- FoxNews 23:54July 14, 2020Maroon 5 bassist Mickey Madden taking ‘leave of absence’ after arrest for alleged domestic violence incidentMichael “Mickey” Madden is taking some time away from his band, Maroon 5, some two weeks after he was arrested for an alleged incident involving domestic violence, the bassist said on Tuesday.
< article, Fox News, Julius Young, fnc, fnc/entertainment, fox-news/entertainment/events/scandal, fox-news/entertainment/celebrity-news, fox-news/entertainment, fox-news/entertainment/events/arrest >
- Business Insider 23:48July 14, 2020Wealthy millennials are rethinking their money habits and investment strategies because of the pandemicA report released by UBS on Monday found that the pandemic has changed wealthy millennials' attitudes toward their money and how they want to invest it.
Many of the millennial investors surveyed revealed that the pandemic has hit them hard financially.
But despite the economic impact, millennial respondents were more likely than other generations to increase financial support for friends and family members in need.
Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories. The pandemic has changed the financial habits of wealthy millennials, according to a new UBS Investor Watch report released on Monday.
In May, UBS surveyed over 3,750 investors across 15 countries, including the US, the UK, Germany, and Hong Kong. The respondents comprised three age groups: those between the ages of 25 and 30 with at least $250,000 in investable assets, 31 to 39-year-olds with at least $500,000 in investable assets, and those 40 or older with at least $1 million in investable assets. See the rest of the story at Business InsiderNOW WATCH: How 'white savior' films like 'The Help' and 'Green Book' hurt HollywoodSee Also:The prospecting secrets of a 26-year-old real-estate agent who hit $12 million in sales volume last yearPioneering luxury streetwear brand Hood By Air is back 3 years after going on hiatus, and it's partnering with Cash App on a new 'Cash Card'All-cash offers and 18 bids on a single home: Realtors describe the frenzied state of the suburban market as people abandon New York CitySEE ALSO: Henrys — millennials who earn 6 figures but still feel broke — were forced into better money habits during lockdown, but they're facing a new challenge as businesses reopen: resisting their old lifestyle
DON'T MISS: The pandemic cut off the ultrawealthy from their favorite places to spend money — and their lagging spending, even as lockdowns lift, is hindering the economy's recovery
< Feature, Millennials, Money, Finance, BI Select, Arts & Culture, UBS, Wealth, Rich millennials, >
- FoxNews 23:11July 14, 2020'4 Horses' still key for World Series champion NationalsFor all of the opt-outs and rule-change oddities, the spring training interruption and social distancing, Washington Nationals manager Dave Martinez figures his team’s bid for a rare repeat World Series championship during this pandemic-affected season might very well come down to what gave the franchise its first title a year ago.
< article, Associated Press, fnc, fnc/sports, fox-news/sports/mlb/washington-nationals, fox-news/sports/mlb >
- FoxNews 23:03July 14, 2020Iranian dissidents to hold summit calling for regime's overthrow, as US ramps up pressure on TehranTens of thousands of Iranian dissidents and supporters of regime change are expected to gather for a virtual summit this week -- as the U.S. continues to ramp up the pressure on the regime in Tehran over its terrorist activities.
< article, Fox News, Adam Shaw, fnc, fnc/politics, fox-news/world/conflicts/iran, fox-news/world/terrorism >
- FoxNews 22:59July 14, 2020Charlie Blackmon returns to Rockies after recovering from COVID-19All-Star outfielder Charlie Blackmon, the first major league player known to have tested positive for the coronavirus, returned to the Colorado Rockies for his first workout Monday after getting the all clear to rejoin his teammates.
< article, Associated Press, fnc, fnc/sports, fox-news/sports/mlb, fox-news/sports/mlb/colorado-rockies >
- New York Magazine 22:58July 14, 2020Control of the U.S. Senate May Not Be Decided Until January in GeorgiaThere’s a nontrivial chance that there may be one or even two general-election runoffs for Georgia’s U.S. Senate seats on January 5.
< politics, 2020 elections, u.s. senate, georgia, david perdue, jon ossoff, kelly loeffler, doug collins, raphael warnock, matt lieberman, libertarians, saxby chambliss, jim martin, karen handel, 2017 special election, paul coverdell, wyche fowler, vision 2020, joe biden, donald trump, stacey abrams, brian kemp, keisha lance bottoms, coronavirus >
- FoxNews 22:44July 14, 202028 Hezbollah missile launch sites detected in civilian areas, highlighting its 'human shield' tactic in LebanonHezbollah is continuing to bolster its cache of weapons by storing them in more urban, densely-populated locations throughout Lebanon, a new study has revealed.
< article, Fox News, Hollie McKay, fnc, fnc/world, fox-news/politics/foreign-policy/middle-east, fox-news/world/conflicts, fox-news/world/conflicts/iran, fox-news/world/world-regions/israel, fox-news/world/terrorism, fox-news/tech, fox-news/politics/judiciary/international-law >
- FoxNews 22:43July 14, 2020Dispute over wearing coronavirus mask inside Michigan convenience store leads to stabbing, fatal shootingA Michigan man suspected of stabbing an elderly man outside a convenience store after being refused service for not wearing a mask was fatally shot by a sheriff's deputy, authorities said Tuesday.
< article, Fox News, Louis Casiano, fnc, fnc/us, fox-news/us/crime, fox-news/us/us-regions/midwest/michigan, fox-news/us/crime/police-and-law-enforcement, fox-news/health/infectious-disease/coronavirus >
- Forbes 22:38July 14, 2020The Harper’s Letter, Bari Weiss And Tucker Carlson: Why Are We Still Talking About ‘Cancel Culture?’A power struggle, in the name of free speech.
< Arts, /arts, Lifestyle, /lifestyle, Arts, /arts, Business, /business, Hollywood & Entertainment, /hollywood-entertainment, lifestyle, danidiplacidoblog >
- Business Insider 22:34July 14, 2020I'm using a 4-part strategy to save for retirement thanks to some advice I got from my financial adviser Planning for retirement is a critical financial task, and there are many ways to build your retirement income.
In my first meeting with my financial adviser, he used a rowboat analogy to explain why diversifying your retirement income is key. At different times, different boats may be ahead — and that's true for investments, too.
I save using tax-exempt and tax-deferred accounts, as well as taxable accounts and rental properties.
Use Blooom to analyze your 401(k) today and see how you can grow your retirement savings » Saving for retirement is one of the most important financial tasks out there, and there are many different thoughts and strategies for how to save for retirement.
One area where there is a general consensus is that the earlier you start, the better (to take advantage of compound interest). Determining the optimal investment allocation is important, too, and is best decided with your financial adviser.See the rest of the story at Business InsiderSee Also:11 states helping people save for retirement when their employers don'tGen Z banks, invests, and manages their money via app — but they still want to talk to a human for adviceInterest rates on high-yield savings accounts may be down, but there are still plenty of cash bonuses to be had
< Retirement, Retirement Advice, Retirement Savings, 401 (k), Roth 401(k), Roth IRA, Traditional IRA, Savings, Personal Finance Insider, PFI Related Content Module, pfi, PFI-XAMP, PFI SmartAsset, Blooom, >
- Breaking Defense 22:20July 14, 2020US Warns Putting China On Law Of The Sea Panel Like ‘Hiring An Arsonist’In rejecting Chinese claims to the South China Sea, the Trump administration is in the opening throes of a rhetorical offensive, promising more concrete moves
< Naval Warfare, Pentagon, Threats, asia, China, freedom of navigation operations FONOPS, law of the sea, Malaysia, Mike Pompeo, National Defense Strategy, Pacific, philippines, south china sea, State Department, Vietnam >
- FoxNews 22:12July 14, 2020Tribalism and triumphalismIf Dems had to start all over again, would Joe Biden be able to repeat his performance?
< article, Fox News, Chris Stirewalt, fnc, fnc/politics, fox-news/columns/fox-news-halftime-report >
- FoxNews 22:10July 14, 2020US lawmakers welcome UK’s ouster of Huawei from its 5G networksA number of U.S. lawmakers have welcomed the U.K.’s decision to remove Huawei from the country’s 5G networks by 2027.
< article, Fox News, James Rogers, fnc, fnc/tech, fox-news/tech/topics/security, fox-news/tech, fox-news/newsedge/politics, fox-news/world/world-regions/china >
- FoxNews 22:10July 14, 2020Trump to hold Rose Garden press conferencePresident Trump will hold a press conference in the Rose Garden.
< article, Fox News, Morgan Phillips, fnc, fnc/politics, fox-news/person/donald-trump, fox-news/world/world-regions/china, fox-news/health/infectious-disease/coronavirus >
- FoxNews 22:08July 14, 2020RG3, Emmitt Smith and Calvin Johnson teaming up with team BidenJoe Biden’s getting a helping hand from one current and two retired National Football League football stars.
< article, Fox News, Tyler Olson, Paul Steinhauser, fnc, fnc/politics, fox-news/politics/elections, fox-news/politics/2020-presidential-election, fox-news/person/joe-biden, fox-news/politics >
- FoxNews 22:04July 14, 2020Broward County superintendent pushes for full online classes if coronavirus cases don't declineOfficials in Broward County Florida are not optimistic that coronavirus cases will decline low enough to reopen schools at the start of the semester.
< article, Fox News, Vandana Rambaran, fnc, fnc/us, fox-news/us/school-reopening-plans, fox-news/us/us-regions/southeast/florida, fox-news/health/infectious-disease/coronavirus, fox-news/health/infectious-disease, fox-news/health/education >
- Business Insider 22:02July 14, 2020Allbirds' sustainable 'Tree' sneakers were a game-changer when they debuted in 2018 — here's how they've held up after 2 years of regular wear Sneaker startup Allbirds became famous for their cloud-like, super comfortable Merino wool sneakers.
The direct-to-consumer brand has a deep commitment to sustainability, and as such, released a line of sneakers made from Eucalyptus pulp called the Tree collection.
The collection features four styles, the Runners, the Skippers, the Loungers, the Toppers. We tried the the Runners and Skippers to see if they're just as comfortable as the originals. You can find our separate review of the Toppers here.
Spoiler alert: They're amazing, and now they come in limited-edition colorways. Read our reviews, plus an update after nearly two years of wear, below. Chances are you've heard about Allbirds, the internet-famous $95 sneaker made from a soft, almost cashmere-like Merino wool.
Currently, Allbirds makes three types of wool shoes — the wool "Runners" (which is also available in a water-resistant style), the wool slip-on "Loungers," and the wool high-top "Runner-Up Mizzle" (which is water-resistant as well).See the rest of the story at Business InsiderSee Also:We tried Everlane's recycled cashmere sweaters — they're just as comfortable as the originals, making them the perfect spring layerThis touch-free dispenser moistens regular toilet paper to make wet wipes that are actually flushableREI has a little-known section of its website that sells gently used gear and clothes for up to 70% off — here's how it worksSEE ALSO: Every Allbirds shoe, reviewed
< Sneakers, Allbirds, Startups, Shoes, Reviews, women's shoes, Insider Picks 2020, IP Style, Mens Shoes, Women's accessories, men's accesories, >
- The Daily Beast 22:00July 14, 2020Kate Middleton Keeps Calm and Carries On With New HighlightsWPA Pool/GettyOut of the numerous scandals and secrets plaguing the royal family, one remains the most enduring, year after year: what is up with Kate Middleton’s hair? How does it stay so shiny? Who gave her the right to such great blowouts? Does she really change it up before each pregnancy to divert attention from a budding bump, per an infamous conspiracy theory? And this week, as the Duchess continues to emerge from lockdown for public appearances, such as one on the British show BBC Breakfast, her new look made onlookers wonder: what’s up with those new highlights? Read more at The Daily Beast.
< Arts and Culture >
- Business Insider 21:50July 14, 2020The ICE policy that would expel international students taking online classes is reportedly already close to a rollbackAnik Rahman/NurPhoto via Getty Images The Trump administration is considering rolling back last week's ruling that would revoke the visas of international students studying at colleges remaining entirely online this fall, The Wall Street Journal reported, citing people familiar with the matter.
The July 6 directive was met with swift backlash, with 17 states and Washington DC filing a lawsuit to block the motion, while Harvard and MIT led a similar, different lawsuit, soon being supported by 200 more.
According the the Journal, a scaled down version of the directive could apply only to newly enrolled students, ensuring international students already in the country can stay.
The initial directive is already impacting American schools — with many foreign students saying they feel unwanted and a study predicting international enrollment could decline to World War II lows.
Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories. The Trump administration issued a directive on July 6, stating that international students attending schools operating entirely online may not remain in the US. Schools, according to the initial directive, are supposed to report their reopening plans by Wednesday.
Now, the White House could be reconsidering that amid swift backlash.See the rest of the story at Business InsiderNOW WATCH: Why thoroughbred horse semen is the world's most expensive liquidSee Also:New York City public schools will only partially reopen in the fallHarvard's international students are begging the school to let them come to campus in the fall, citing fears of being stuck in unstable home environments if they're forced to leave the US17 states are suing ICE over its policy that would revoke the visas of international students at colleges operating entirely online in the fallSEE ALSO: International students are losing their 'idealized vision' of the US and weighing options to leave the country if Trump wins in November
DON'T MISS: Harvard is suing ICE for threatening to link remote learning to deportation, right as the school announced its remote reopening plan
< Education, Ice, Harvard, International Students, Strategy, Department of Homeland Security, >