- Business Insider 16:33April 10, 2021As a Korean national studying in the US, I've seen how racism in America affects Asians around the globeAs a Korean national studying in the US, I've seen how racism in America affects Asians around the globe.
< Opinion, News, Politics, Opinion, BI Commentary, InsiderAsia, Racism, anti-asian violence, Atlanta shooting >
- Business Insider 16:04April 10, 2021Musicians deserve a raise too, and they're right to organize against Spotify's exploitative practicesMusicians are the original gig workers, and they are demanding an end to exploitation from their Big Tech overlords.
< Opinion, Tech Insider, Media, Entertainment, Opinion, BI Commentary, Spotify, music streaming service, Union, Contract, Tech, Big Tech >
- Business Insider 15:27April 10, 2021I will not mourn for Prince Philip. I will mourn instead for the people and countries destroyed by British imperialism.The Duke spent his entire life in service to the British imperial machine which murdered and enslaved people in countries around the world.
< Opinion, News, Nordic, Opinion, BI Commentary, Royals, royals insider, Prince Philip, Prince Philip Death, Imperialism, UK, InsiderAsia >
- Business Insider 15:06April 10, 2021The US needs to use its vast cultural resources to crush China in the global influence gameIt is time the US government restores America's tarnished international image and curb the rise of Beijing's global power.
< Opinion, Politics, Military & Defense, Opinion, BI Commentary, China, Biden, Politics, Foreign Policy, International Relations, US china tensions, InsiderAsia >
- Business Insider 18:42April 7, 2021Big tech can't keep our kids safe, so the platforms need to at least make it easier for parents to protect their children onlineThe developers of social media apps will never be primarily focused on the safety of the kids who use them. But they can let us parents to the job.
< Opinion, Politics, Tech Insider, BI Commentary, Opinion, YouTube, Social Media, Instagram, Parental Controls, TikTok, Cyberbullying, Facebook >
- Business Insider 17:29April 6, 2021Despite the backlash, Pete Buttigieg's idea to tax drivers by the mile to help pay for infrastructure is actually a step in the right directionIf we're going to sufficiently pay for infrastructure, we must find new ways to do so. A mileage tax could be a step in the right direction.
< Opinion, Politics, Transportation, Economy, Opinion, BI Commentary, Transportation, Politics, Pete Buttigieg, Infrastructure, Gas Tax, Taxes, Biden infrastructure plan, Roads >
- Business Insider 16:08April 6, 2021Social media's booming 'armchair expert' culture is dangerousDuring a pandemic, the prevalence of conflicting information from self-proclaimed experts allows users to believe what they want about the crisis.
< Opinion, Tech Insider, Science, Opinion, BI Commentary, COVID-19, COVID, Twitter, Social Media, Pandemic, Misinformation >
- Business Insider 17:33April 5, 2021It is time America takes Asian American policy concerns seriously"This is the moment. But we have to use this moment very wisely," said Leong-Hong, chair of the DNC's AAPI caucus."We need to prioritize our demands."
< Opinion, Politics, Opinion, BI Commentary, Politics, Asian Americans, Asian American hate crimes, Policy, AAPI >
- Business Insider 16:18April 5, 2021After my sister died trying to stop gun violence, the Senate couldn't find the votes for background checks. We can't let that happen again.Gun violence kills over 100 people a day a wounds hundreds more. The senate must pass common sense gun legislation.
< Opinion, Politics, News, Opinion, BI Commentary, Sandy Hook, gun violence, Mass Shootings, Gun legislation, Senate, Gun Deaths >
- Business Insider 16:32April 4, 2021Democrats can learn something from the most powerful Joe in WashingtonSen. Joe Manchin is the deciding Senate vote and the most powerful "Joe" in DC. He may frustrate some progressives, but he's also a great example.
< Opinion, Politics, Joe Manchin, Joe Biden, Democrats, Senate Democrats, Chuck Schumer, BI Commentary, Opinion >
- Business Insider 16:04April 4, 2021Marijuana prohibition is withering away, but the human carnage it caused is permanent. Governments should take action to atone for their Drug War sins.Expunging marijuana convictions in states that legalized is a nice start, but the Drug War's victims deserve more.
< Opinion, Politics, News, Cannabis, BI Commentary, Opinion, Marijuana, Drug War, War on Drugs, Joe Biden, New York, New York State, legalization, Marijuana Legalization >
- Business Insider 15:27April 4, 2021Robinhood and other 'low cost' brokers are still quietly screwing over their usersRobinhood and other "free" retail brokers are quietly making it so that their users don't get the best prices on their trades.
< Opinion, Politics, Markets, Finance, Virtu, Citadel, Robinhood, retail brokerage, TD Ameritrade, Charles Schwab, GameStop, payment for order flow, BI Commentary, Opinion >
- Business Insider 15:04April 4, 2021Biden's infrastructure plan does not come close to tackling the vast extent of America's new housing crisisThe lack of affordable housing is not reflective of national resources - it is reflective of a long debate about who deserves public investment.
< Opinion, Politics, Real Estate, Economy, Opinion, BI Commentary, Biden infrastructure plan, Infrastructure, Housing, Housing Crisis, Politics, Policy >
- Business Insider 16:33April 3, 2021YouTube just took another big step towards total online video dominanceTwitter's decision to allow YouTube embeds moves the video platform closer to becoming the primary way videos are watched online.
< Opinion, Tech Insider, Opinion, BI Commentary, Tech, YouTube, Twitter, Online Video >
- Business Insider 16:32April 3, 2021Bad politicians should be held accountable by the American people, not by corporationsWe need the For the People Act to amplify and protect the voices of regular Americans. Corporations are not reliable to hold politicians accountable.
< Opinion, Politics, Retail, Finance, Healthcare, Opinion, BI Commentary, Politics, Political Donations, For the People Act, HR1, S1 >
- Business Insider 16:03April 3, 2021I came to the US when I was only 2 years old. Without action from Congress, I could be deported to a country I've never known.I'm one of over 2 million "Dreamers." Unless the Senate passes the American Dream and Promise Act, I'll continue to live in uncertainty.
< Opinion, Politics, News, Opinion, BI Commentary, DACA, Undocumented Immigrants, Immigration, Congress, Senate, Biden administration >
- Business Insider 15:02April 3, 2021The death of a former Guantanamo prisoner exposes how the US controls the life and death of its captivesAfter Lufti bin Ali was released from US custody, he realized that life after prison would be another form of captivity. The US did nothing to help.
< Opinion, Politics, Military & Defense, News, Opinion, BI Commentary, Guantanamo Bay, Prison, War on Terror, Terrorism, Politics >
- Business Insider 17:02April 1, 2021America's water infrastructure is a ticking time bombAs we saw in Texas, climate change will continue to put pressure on our water infrastructure. We need massive investments to improve these systems.
< Opinion, Politics, Energy, Opinion, BI Commentary, Infrastructure, Water, Drinking Water, Politics, Climate Change, Policy >
- Business Insider 00:59April 1, 2021President Biden's dogs must resignWith great power comes great responsibility, and the Biden dogs have failed to rise to the occasion.
< Opinion, Politics, Opinion, BI Commentary, President Biden, Major, Champ, White House, Resign, Scandal, Dogs >
- Business Insider 19:02March 31, 2021It's about time for Congress to pay its interns a fair wage - it could help introduce some much-needed diversity on the HillThe State Student Internship Program Act aims to pay interns at the State Department. The rest of government needs to follow suit.
< Opinion, Politics, Opinion, BI Commentary, Interns, Congress, House, Senate, Pay, Bill, Politics, Education >
- Business Insider 16:04March 31, 2021The next 'meme stock' is the US job marketDeclining COVID cases, increasing vaccinations, and reopening businesses are going to bring back millions of American jobs.
< Opinion, Economy, Markets, Jobs Report, Labor Market, Employment, Dave Portnoy, Meme stocks, GameStop, BI Commentary, Opinion >
- Business Insider 16:08March 30, 2021Employers claim they want to improve workers' wellbeing, but refuse to do the one thing that will actually help: pay them moreHR departments are obsessed with employee wellness programs and apps that don't work. What does work is paying people more money.
< Opinion, Strategy, Economy, Opinion, BI Commentary, HR, Wellbeing, Mental Health, Management, Workplace, Labor >
- Business Insider 19:05March 29, 2021Vaccine 'FOMO' might just end the pandemicThe fear of missing out is a powerful psychological impulse that might drive vaccine skeptics to get the vaccine and avoid missing out on life.
< Opinion, Healthcare, Science, Opinion, BI Commentary, Pandemic, coronavirus, COVID-19, COVID, covid vaccine, Vaccine, FOMO >
- Business Insider 16:10March 29, 2021I was fired for trying to unionize my bank. I want Congress to pass the PRO Act so that never happens again.The banking industry has the lowest rates of unionization. If congress passes the PRO Act, employees will no longer risk losing their jobs doing so.
< Opinion, Politics, Economy, Opinion, BI Commentary, Unions, Unionizing, organize, Workers Rights, Politics, PRO Act >
- Business Insider 16:31March 28, 2021It's time that Fox News is considered a political organization, not a news networkGiven Fox News' sensationalist punditry, it should be labeled a political organization raising money from donors, not cable subscribers.
< Opinion, Politics, Opinion, BI Commentary, Politics, Fox news, Tucker Carlson, Sean Hannity, political organizations, Cable, Regulation >
- Business Insider 16:04March 28, 2021The 'COVID-industrial complex' - a web of Big Pharma, Big Tech, and politicians - are profiting off the pandemic at the expense of the publicWhile there is nothing wrong with making a profit, there is something morally wrong when the excessive gain is made on the back of people's misery.
< Opinion, Healthcare, Politics, Tech Insider, Opinion, BI Commentary, COVID, COVID-19, Politics, Big Pharma, Big Tech, UK >
- Business Insider 16:04March 27, 2021Freelancers are freaking out about the PRO Act. Here is why they should - and shouldn't - be worried.The right to collective bargaining is good, but the way the bill reclassifies workers - as we saw in California - sets a harmful precedent.
< Opinion, Politics, Economy, Strategy, Opinion, BI Commentary, Politics, PRO Act, Freelancer, Gig Workers, Independent contractors, Labor law, Policy >
- Business Insider 15:33March 27, 2021From kids missing classes to seniors unable to book vaccine appointments, the pandemic blew open the global digital divideAs the world moved online, digital skills and access became more vital than ever. Yet millions of people around the world are falling behind.
< Opinion, Tech Insider, Science, Politics, Nordic, Opinion, BI Commentary, COVID-19, coronavirus, Tech, InsiderAsia, digital accessibility >
- Business Insider 15:03March 27, 2021There's a blatantly obvious way for the US to fight climate change and pay for new infrastructure: a carbon taxIt's time for the US to implement a carbon tax on corporations and use the money for something in dire need of support: infrastructure.
< Opinion, Politics, Economy, Science, Opinion, BI Commentary, Carbon Tax, Economy, Climate Change, Oil and Gas, Infrastructure >
- Business Insider 16:18March 26, 2021Support for political violence among Americans is on the rise. It's a grim warning about America's political future.A new poll shows that a third of Americans support the use of political violence - a troubling finding that extends beyond the 2020 election.
< Opinion, Politics, Opinion, BI Commentary, Politics, political violence, Poll, capitol riot, Capitol Siege, Elections, Donald Trump >
- Business Insider 18:17March 25, 2021How one of the most pro-gun states in the US managed to pass gun reform - with the backing of gun advocatesAs public health officials, we focused on a clear and common goal: no person in a suicidal crisis should have ready access to a firearm.
< Opinion, Politics, News, Opinion, BI Commentary, gun reform, Politics, Gun Policy, Suicide, Utah, Public Health, Health >
- Business Insider 16:04March 25, 2021Bush, Obama, and Trump all failed to jolt the US out of its economic malaise. Biden's huge stimulus package could finally break that trend.Biden's direct checks and infrastructure investment could actually kick start the US economy by focusing aid to areas where it's actually needed.
< Opinion, Economy, Politics, Joe Biden, Barack Obama, Donald Trump, George W. Bush, BI Commentary, Opinion, US GDP, Fiscal Stimulus, COVID relief, American Rescue Plan, Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, Trump tax cuts, American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, Financial Crisis, Secular Stagnation, Inflation >
- Business Insider 16:06March 24, 2021Radicalized Christian nationalism is one of the biggest threats facing the US. Christian leaders need to root the extremism from their communities.Like Muslim extremists, Christian extremists believe they must upend the balance of power and impose their beliefs by any means necessary.
< Opinion, Politics, News, Opinion, BI Commentary, Religion, Politics, Christianity, Islam, extremism, QAnon, capitol riot, Donald Trump, Josh Hawley, Evangelical Christians, Christian Nationalism >
- Business Insider 21:11March 23, 2021The FBI's long, troubling history of targeting the left raises questions on how effectively they can police far-right extremismThe FBI has no trouble mobilizing against racial justice activists and peaceful organizers but completely dropped the ball on the insurrection.
< Opinion, Politics, News, Opinion, BI Commentary, Insurrection, capitol riots, FBI, Black Lives Matter, far right hate groups, extremism, Policing >
- Business Insider 17:11March 23, 2021INTERVIEW: BioNTech founders Özlem Türeci and Ugur Sahin on developing the BioNTech-Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine, the future of fighting cancer, and whether people can live to 200Pfizer-BioNTech officials Ugur Sahin and Özlem Türeci talk to Axel Springer CEO Mathias Döpfner about their world-changing COVID-10 vaccine.
< Opinion, Healthcare, Science, BI Commentary, Pfizer, biontech, COVID-19, Vaccine, Health, Politics, Interview >
- Business Insider 16:08March 23, 2021A higher federal minimum wage is not sufficient. It is time for companies to share profits with workers.Neither party has the right solution. To provide living wages, profitable companies must equitably distribute profits and disclose wages.
< Opinion, Economy, Politics, Opinion, BI Commentary, Economy, profit sharing, Minimum Wage, Policy, Income Inequality, Fight for 15, American Rescue Plan, Wages, Job Market >
- Business Insider 16:02March 22, 2021Michigan is offering free college for essential workers. The rest of the country should follow suitThe best, most effective way to thank essential workers for risking their lives to service us is by allowing them to complete college free of cost.
< Opinion, Politics, Opinion, BI Commentary, COVID-19, Michigan, College, Essential Workers, Pandemic, Politics, Governor Gretchen Whitmer >
- Business Insider 16:31March 21, 2021The GOP's voter suppression mania is threatening American democracy. Democrats need to step up and fight back.The GOP is pushing to pass a slew of laws that will make it harder to vote - especially for minorities and working Americans. This can't stand.
< Opinion, Politics, Elections, Voter Supression, Republican Party, GOP, Voting Rights Act, Stacey Abrams, Georgia, brian kemp, BI Commentary, Opinion >
- Business Insider 16:04March 20, 2021The NHS' tiny 1% pay raise is a slap in the face to the UK's frontline workers who've risked their lives to protect usNHS employees were offered a 1% raise. For a health service already facing budget cuts, this is a slap in the face of workers who've risked their lives.
< Opinion, Politics, Healthcare, Opinion, BI Commentary, NHS, Healthcare, Politics, UK, International, COVID-19, Pandemic >
- Business Insider 16:04March 20, 2021A handful of states have refused to expand a life-saving healthcare program for years, denying millions of Americans health coverage. They're finally out of excuses.Biden's COVID-19 stimulus package includes incentives to expand Medicaid, making it more affordable for states to expand than ever.
< Opinion, Politics, Healthcare, Opinion, BI Commentary, Politics, Medicaid, Medicaid Expansion, Biden stimulus, Healthcare >
- Business Insider 15:27March 20, 2021I am a British citizen, but thanks to the racist two-tiered citizenship system, I find it difficult to truly feel at homeBy stripping Shamima Begum's nationality, the British government created a two-tiered citizenship system. As an immigrant, I may never feel at ease.
< Opinion, UK, Politics, Opinion, BI Commentary, UK, UK Government, UK Politics, Immigration, UK Parliament >
- Business Insider 15:03March 20, 2021To fight 'fake news,' the US media must push for Big Tech to pay for journalismAdditional revenue streams will help media outlets fund rigorous journalism, regain trust, and combat fake news.
< Opinion, Media, Tech Insider, Politics, Opinion, BI Commentary, Journalism, Media, Big Tech, Australia, Facebook, Google, Tech >
- Business Insider 17:16March 19, 2021Millions of Americans have struggled to get access to their stimulus checks. The government needs a better system so getting cash to people isn't so painfully slow.We need to fortify our structure of stimulating the economy, and cash has proven to be a key tool to building a safety net for Americans.
< Opinion, Politics, Economy, Markets, Opinion, BI Commentary, stimulus check, federal aid, Cash, Economy, Biden administration, American Rescue Plan >
- Business Insider 15:07March 18, 2021Sarah Everard's death opened the floodgates of women who want to be heard, rather than told to 'be better'More than 3 million women in England and Wales have been victims of sexual assault. Everard's death has spurred calls for much needed action.
< Opinion, News, Opinion, BI Commentary, Violence Against Women, womens right, UK, Police Brutality, Sarah Everard >
- Business Insider 16:32March 17, 2021I'm a doctor and the Chief Medical Officer of WebMD. Excessive negativity about the pandemic and vaccines is hurting public health.Health experts should start acknowledging how close we are to the end of the pandemic. Negativity can only make people less likely to get vaccinated.
< Opinion, Politics, Healthcare, Science, Opinion, BI Commentary, Public Health, Pandemic, COVID-19, Vaccine, WebMD, variants, Moderna, Pfizer, CDC >
- Business Insider 16:04March 16, 2021Prisoners like me haven't had contact visits in a year. As the world reopens, we deserve to see our loved ones.Prisoners like me have no idea when we'll be able to hold our loved ones again. We deserve transparency.
< Opinion, Politics, News, Opinion, BI Commentary, Prison, Prisoners, COVID-19, prison visit, Lockdown, Pandemic, Quarantine, reopening >
- Business Insider 17:21March 15, 2021Biden should use America's massive vaccine stockpile to help Africa and rebuild the world's confidence in the USChina's "vaccine diplomacy" is trying to sway African nations. Biden should counter by sending COVID vaccines, boosting the US' international image.
< Opinion, Politics, Healthcare, Science, Opinion, BI Commentary, Africa, Biden, China, COVID-19, Pandemic, Vaccine, International, Sinopharm >
- Business Insider 17:02March 14, 2021The terrible advice of personal finance 'gurus' shows they don't understand povertyDave Ramsey's take on stimulus checks illustrates the privilege and poverty shaming so common in conservative personal finance circles.
< Opinion, Economy, Politics, Opinion, BI Commentary, Personal Finance, Dave Ramsey, Poverty, Economy, economic justice, Stimulus checks, Safety net >
- Business Insider 16:37March 14, 2021Big Tech's head-scratching terms of service agreements need simple, specific government regulationGovernment intervention may offend market purists, but simple, specific regulations are far less intrusive than inflexible one-size-fits-all mandates.
< Opinion, Tech Insider, Politics, Policy, Opinion, BI Commentary, Big Tech, Tech, Terms of Service, Law, Legal, Tech Regulation >
- Business Insider 16:02March 14, 2021In a post-Trump world, far right policies are still taking hold in EuropeIn Europe, the far right's utilization of the internet has driven their popularity, and may lead to electoral victories.
< Opinion, Politics, Opinion, BI Commentary, far right hate groups, Politics, Europe, Dutch elections, Trump, COVID-19 >