- Business Insider 06:39January 27, 2021Prosecutors can cite previous incidents in case against cop charged with murdering George Floyd, judge rulesProsecutors can cite two previous incidents where former police officer Derek Chauvin is accused of using excessive force.
< News, Politics, Law, George Floyd, derek chauvin, Black Lives Matter >
- Huffington Post UK 21:13January 26, 2021The Army Veterans Who Cleaned DC Streets After US Capitol Riot And Support Black Lives Matter
< Donald Trump, Joe Biden, black lives matter, Huffpost uk now, Kamala Harris, election, Capitol Hill, HuffPost NOW News, Veteran, trump supporters, Rubber bullet, nonprofit organization, Lafayette Square, donald-trump, joe-biden, black-lives-matter, huffpost-uk-now, kamala-harris, capitol-hill, huffpost-now-news, veteran, trump-supporters, rubber-bullet, nonprofit-organization, lafayette-square, NEWS, news, Huffpost Originals (Video), huffpost-originals-video >
- Guardian 16:28January 25, 2021Black images matter: Shade, the powerful podcast unpicking the tumult of 2020Lou Mensah explains why the new season of her podcast about art, race and identity examines the defining images of 2020 and beyond, from BLM protests to Vogue covers and Trump supportersLou Mensah spent the 1990s working in PR but her favourite part of the job was not the to and fro with clients. What she really liked was meeting and briefing photographers. So when she fell ill at one point, a friend gave her a camera and said: “If you’re well enough to go out today, just take some pictures.” And Mensah did.Six months later, another friend submitted that work to a competition Alexander McQueen and Nick Knight were judging. To Mensah’s surprise, she won. Soon she was shooting for GQ magazine and exhibiting with Helmut Newton and Damien Hirst. Artistically and professionally, she had arrived. Yet, as a mixed-race woman, she couldn’t shake the feeling she was an outsider. Continue reading...
< Podcasts, Identity politics, Race, Culture, Black Lives Matter movement, Digital media, Podcasting, Internet, Technology, Media, Society, Television & radio >
- Breitbart News 03:47January 25, 2021Several Super Bowl Advertisers Bow Out over Fear of Offending ViewersA growing number of big-name advertisers, including Coke and Hyundai, are skipping the Super Bowl this year for fear of offending people.
< Media, Politics, Sports, Black Lives Matter, Coca Cola, Pepsi, social justice, Super Bowl >
- Business Insider 16:27January 23, 2021I was in DC for the inauguration. The overwhelming security state felt disturbingly similar to the worst parts of the post-9/11 response.We overreacted to 9/11 by adding new laws and easily-abused surveillance powers in the name of "security." We shouldn't make the same mistake again.
< Opinion, Politics, News, Military & Defense, BI Commentary, Opinion, Homeland Security, 9-11, Domestic Terrorism, Security, Surveillance, Muslims, arab americans, Black Lives Matter, Capitol Siege, Civil liberties >
- Business Insider 18:07January 22, 2021Rep. Rashida Tlaib on why she's rallying progressives to fight back against calls for sweeping new government surveillance powers after the Capitol attackRep. Tlaib spoke with Insider about why she's leading the charge to defend civil liberties amid calls for a massive expansion of the security state.
< Opinion, Politics, News, Military & Defense, BI Commentary, Opinion, Rashida Tlaib, Michigan, House of Representatives, The Squad, Civil liberties, Capitol Siege, white supremacy, Terrorism, Black Lives Matter, FBI, National Security, Domestic Terrorism >
- Breitbart News 15:59January 22, 2021L.A. Mayor Eric Garcetti Announces 'Implicit Bias' Training for All City EmployeesMayor Eric Garcetti announced Thursday that the City of Los Angeles would require all employees to undergo "implicit bias" training as part of an effort to achieve "racial justice."
< Health, Politics, Black Lives Matter, Critical Race Theory, Eric Garcetti, implicit bias training, Los Angeles, racial justice, systemic racism >
- Huffington Post UK 14:25January 22, 2021Mohamud Hassan: Campaigners Urge Police To Release Footage Of Hours Before Man's Death
< uk news, Crime and Justice, black lives matter, Closed-circuit television, South Wales Police, Body camera, Police body camera, news, crime-and-justice, black-lives-matter, closed-circuit-television, south-wales-police, body-camera, police-body-camera, NEWS >
- Breitbart News 05:22January 21, 2021WATCH: Antifa Blocks Streets, Sets Fire in Seattle Inauguration Day ProtestAntifa and Black Lives Matter protesters joined forces in Seattle to block traffic in the downtown area. A video shows the protesters setting a large fire in close proximity to several commuter buses.
< Law and Order, Politics, Pre-Viral, Antifa, Black Lives Matter, DisruptJ20, Inauguration Day, Seattle Protest >
- Business Insider 04:16January 20, 2021Read the email Expensify's CEO sent to customers on MLK Day outlining the company's plan to fight injustices with a 'highly experimental' crowdsourced campaignExpensify will spend an extra $3 million in 2021 on efforts to tackle climate change, homelessness, hunger, criminal justice, and youth issues.
< Tech Insider, Politics, Enterprise, Finance, Expensify, David Barrett, Philanthrophy, MLK Day, CSR, Corporate Social Responsibility, Black Lives Matter, Climate Change, Criminal Justice Reform, Homelessness, Food insecurity, CEO activism, Racial Inequality >
- Business Insider 17:07January 16, 2021Democratic leaders are demonizing 'defund the police' - but they don't have a better plan for reformDemocrats have come up with police commissions in the past. But if they want to axe "defund the police" they'll have to come up with a better plan.
< Opinion, Politics, Opinion, BI Commentary, Biden, Black Lives Matter, Defund the police, Protests, Social justice >
- Huffington Post UK 09:00January 16, 2021I've Experienced US Capitol Security Firsthand — And It Was Nothing Like The Rioters Saw
< Personal, black lives matter, Activism, disability rights, personal, black-lives-matter, activism, disability-rights, NEWS, news >
- New York Magazine 01:34January 15, 2021New York Attorney General Sues NYPD for ‘Pattern of Abuse’ at BLM ProtestsThe state attorney general asserts that cops illegally used “excessive force and [made] false arrests” during last summer’s demonstrations.
< black lives matter, nypd, george floyd, politics >
- The Guardian 09:00January 14, 2021US police three times as likely to use force against leftwing protesters, data findsLaw enforcement responses to more than 13,000 protests show a clear disparity in responses, new statistics showPolice in the United States are three times more likely to use force against leftwing protesters than rightwing protesters, according to new data from a nonprofit that monitors political violence around the world.In the past 10 months, US law enforcement agencies have used teargas, pepper spray, rubber bullets, and beatings at a much higher percentage at Black Lives Matter demonstrations than at pro-Trump or other rightwing protests. Continue reading...
< US policing, Protest, The far right, Black Lives Matter movement, US news >
- Huffington Post UK 09:00January 14, 2021I Don’t Tell My Immigrant Parents About The Racism I Face. This Is Why
< Personal, Racism, black lives matter, personal, racism, black-lives-matter, NEWS, news >
- Business Insider 08:10January 14, 2021Prosecutors are looking to modify Kyle Rittenhouse's bail conditions after the Kenosha shooter flashed white power signs and was spotted out with Proud BoysSecurity camera footage appears to show Kyle Rittenhouse at a bar with members of a far-right extremist group after posting $2 million bail.
< Law, Kyle rittenhouse, Black Lives Matter, Kenosha, Proud Boys, white supremacy, Hate Groups >
- Breitbart News 03:13January 14, 2021Donald Trump Again Denounces Political Violence After House Vote to Impeach Him"There is never a justification for violence," Trump said in a video released by the White House on YouTube. "No excuses. No exceptions. America is a nation of laws."
< 2020 Election, Politics, Black Lives Matter, Capitol Hill, Donald Trump, impeachment, White House >
- Breitbart News 17:52January 13, 2021CNN's Chris Cuomo, Don Lemon: BLM Riots More Justified Than Capitol Hill RiotCNN anchors Don Lemon and Chris Cuomo asserted Tuesday night that the riot on Capitol Hill last Wednesday was different than the Black Lives Matter riots last summer.
< Clips, Media, Politics, Black Lives Matter, Capitol Hill, Chris Cuomo, Don Lemon, Ken Cuccinelli >
- The Guardian(UK) 12:29January 11, 2021Black Lives Matter UK to start funding groups from £1.2m donationsMore than £100,000 will be released in January to black-led organisations in cities and rural areas Black Lives Matter UK will be releasing more than £100,000 pounds to black-led organisations in cities and rural areas across the country by the end of the month, as protesters pledge to build on last year’s anti-racism demonstrations.The campaign group received £1.2m in donations via a GoFundMe appeal, following widespread protests last summer. Continue reading...
< Black Lives Matter movement, UK news, Race >
- Breitbart News 01:41January 11, 2021WATCH: Antifa in Riot Gear, BLM March in NYC, Female Journalist AttackedA large group of Antifa and Black Lives Matter demonstrators wearing black bloc and carrying shields marched in the streets of Manhattan on Sunday. While the group remained mostly peaceful, a female social-media journalist came under attack for "supporting Trump."
< Law and Order, Politics, Pre-Viral, Andy Ngo, Antifa, Black Lives Matter, BLM, NYPD >
- Business Insider 18:45January 9, 2021Martin Luther King III on the Capitol insurrection: It's 'white privilege on steroids'King said that if Black Lives Matter protesters tried to do what the pro-Trump mob did, there would have been "a massacre on the Capitol steps."
< Strategy, Martin Luther King III, Martin Luther King Jr., Capitol Siege, Black Lives Matter >
- Guardian 18:11January 9, 2021Booker winner’s mission to put UK's forgotten black writers back in printThe Black Britain, Writing Back series curated by Bernardine Evaristo aims to correct ‘historical bias in publishing’Bernardine Evaristo, the Booker prize-winning novelist, is heading a major project to republish books by black British writers that generally disappeared without trace before they could receive the recognition they deserved.The author of Girl, Woman, Other has curated “Black Britain, Writing Back”, a series that launches in February, with six initial titles ranging from literary thrillers to historical fiction. Evaristo said she is seeking “to correct historic bias in British publishing and bring a wealth of lost writing back into circulation”. Continue reading...
< Bernardine Evaristo, Books, Race, Fiction, Black Lives Matter movement, Booker prize, UK news, Culture >
- Business Insider 17:36January 9, 20217 months after George Floyd's death, corporations are still 'diversity washing' instead of making actual changes"Green washing" was an 80s term that described sanitization of problematic images. We can't let the same thing about to diversity efforts.
< Opinion, Politics, Opinion, BI Commentary, Diversity, Black Lives Matter, Protests, Corporations, Companies >
- Business Insider 16:03January 9, 2021Joe Biden has a valuable chance to reform the way police deal with protestersIn the 1970s, police were less combative with protesters. Biden has a chance to emphasize this form of police moving forward.
< Opinion, Politics, Opinion, BI Commentary, Protests, Black Lives Matter, Police, Police Brutality, Joe Biden >
- Breitbart News 19:49January 8, 2021Marco Rubio Calls for 'Honest Reflection' in the Conservative Movement After RiotsSen. Marco Rubio called for "honest reflection" in the conservative movement on Friday after a group of President Donald Trump's supporters stormed Capitol Hill on Wednesday.
< 2020 Election, Politics, Black Lives Matter, Capitol Hill, CNN, Donald Trump, Marco Rubio, MSNBC >
- Huffington Post UK 11:52January 8, 2021For Black Americans, The White Terror In DC Looks Familiar
< Donald Trump, Racism, 2020 election, black lives matter, white supremacy, civil rights movement, us congress, donald-trump, racism, 2020-election, black-lives-matter, white-supremacy, civil-rights-movement, us-congress, NEWS, news, Politics, politics >
- Huffington Post UK 11:30January 8, 2021Michelle Obama: ‘We All Know’ What Would’ve Been Different If DC Rioters Were Black
< Donald Trump, Politics, black lives matter, Michelle Obama, Raphael Warnock, livingintheblack, donald-trump, politics, black-lives-matter, michelle-obama, raphael-warnock, NEWS, news >
- Guardian 09:00January 8, 2021'Being black in America requires emotional aerobics': Regina King on 'powder keg' movie One Night in MiamiThe Oscar-winning Beale Street actor on success and her sharply topical feature debut, a civil rights-era film that coincided with the explosive rise of Black Lives Matter To say Regina King is “having a moment” feels a little inappropriate, considering that she is 35 years into her career. But it also feels like an understatement. In the past five years she has won an Oscar, four Emmys and numerous other awards for her performances in a string of acclaimed titles, including Barry Jenkins’s If Beale Street Could Talk, the prescient comic-book miniseries Watchmen and the Netflix race-crime drama Seven Seconds. As well as marching her down several miles of red carpet, the flurry of attention has catapulted her into a new echelon of star power.Now she is also making waves as a director. Her debut feature, One Night in Miami, was the first film directed by an African American woman ever to screen at the Venice film festival. The resultant acclaim, combined with the resonance of the civil rights-era story, puts it in contention for the upcoming awards season; she is considered a shoo-in for the best director shortlists. Everything King touches seems to be turning to gold right now. What’s her secret? Continue reading...
< Film, Regina King, Television, Civil rights movement, Malcolm X, Barry Jenkins, Muhammad Ali, Culture, Television & radio, US news, World news, Black Lives Matter movement, Women, Race >
- Huffington Post UK 02:55January 8, 2021Biden Calls Rioters 'Domestic Terrorists' As He Blames Trump For Inciting Mob
< Politics, Joe Biden, black lives matter, Capitol, us congress, Department of Justice, politics, joe-biden, black-lives-matter, capitol, us-congress, department-of-justice, POLITICS, News, news >
- Business Insider 01:55January 8, 2021Police have arrested only 69 people connected to the Capitol building invasion, far fewer than those arrested during BLM protests this summer194 were arrested in an anti-racism protest in DC after the killing of George Floyd, which didn't involve a violent attack on the halls of government.
< News, Politics, BI Graphics, Sawyer Click, Capitol Siege, Donald Trump, capitol police, Police, Washington DC, Black Lives Matter protests >
- Breitbart News 23:26January 7, 2021Biden Claims U.S. Capitol Rioters Treated 'Differently' than Black Lives Matter ProtestersPresident-elect Joe Biden claimed Thursday that the rioters who stormed the United States Capitol earlier this week would have been treated "very differently" had they been protesters associated with the Black Lives Matter (BLM) movement.
< 2020 Election, Politics, 2020 Presidential Race, Black Lives Matter, Department of Justice, Donald Trump, Joe Biden, Kamala Harris, Merrick Garland, U.S. Capitol >
- Huffington Post UK 22:24January 7, 2021The Big Difference Between Trump’s Mob And BLM Activists
< Donald Trump, black lives matter, Washington, D.C., president trump, blm, Capitol Hill, BLM activists, US Capitol, donald-trump, black-lives-matter, washington-dc, president-trump, capitol-hill, blm-activists, us-capitol, NEWS, news, News & Politics (Video), news-politics-video >
- Huffington Post UK 20:49January 7, 2021How US Police 'Showed Restraint' For MAGA Mob – After Violent Attacks On Black Lives Matter
< uk news, Donald Trump, us news, Racism, global news, black lives matter, white supremacy, Washington, D.C., Proud Boys, Capitol Hill, news, donald-trump, us-news, racism, global-news, black-lives-matter, white-supremacy, washington-dc, proud-boys, capitol-hill, NEWS, Politics, politics >
- Business Insider 19:41January 7, 2021'You opened the f---ing doors for 'em!': Joe Scarborough tears into Capitol police over flimsy security and racial double standards"If these insurrectionists were Black, they would have been shot in the face," the host of MSNBC's "Morning Joe" said in a rant about Capitol police.
< Politics, News, Media, Morning Joe, Joe Scarborough, Capitol Siege, Black Lives Matter, capitol police >
- Breitbart News 00:22January 6, 2021No Charges Against Police Officers in Jacob Blake Shooting in KenoshaKenosha County District Attorney Michael Graveley announced Tuesday afternoon that no police would face criminal charges in the August 2020 shooting of 29-year-old Jacob Blake Jr., which triggered large riots in the Wisconsin town.
< Crime, Law and Order, Politics, Black Lives Matter, Jacob Blake, Joe Biden, Kamala Harris, Kenosha, Riots, Wisconsin >
- Breitbart News 16:34January 5, 2021Wisconsin Governor Deploys 500 National Guard in Kenosha for Jacob Blake DecisionWisconsin Gov. Tony Evers has authorized the deployment of 500 National Guard members to help local law enforcement prevent violence in the city of Kenosha ahead of an anticipated court decision about the shooting of Jacob Blake Jr. last year.
< Crime, Law and Order, Politics, Black Lives Matter, Jacob Blake, Kenosha, Riots >
- The Guardian 08:00January 5, 2021Budapest Black Lives Matter artwork sparks rightwing backlashOfficials from Viktor Orbán’s rightwing party stoke outrage over two-week installationIt will be only one metre high, and will be on display for just two weeks. Nevertheless, a planned art installation dedicated to the theme of Black Lives Matter is causing uproar in Budapest, where the rightwing, nationalist government of Viktor Orbán has taken aim at the movement and all it represents.The installation won a recent tender for public art in Budapest’s ninth district, an area on the city’s Pest side that combines streets of grand turn-of-the-century buildings with communist-era social housing projects. Continue reading...
< Hungary, Black Lives Matter movement, Europe, World news, Viktor Orbán >
- The Guardian 05:03January 5, 2021Enrique Tarrio, leader of rightwing Proud Boys, arrested ahead of ralliesHe was charged with destruction of property – related to his role in burning a Black Lives Matter banner – and a firearms offenseThe leader of the Proud Boys, the violent far-right group, was arrested in Washington DC and charged with destruction of property and a firearms offense, according to local police.The arrest of Enrique Tarrio on Monday comes ahead of pro-Donald Trump protests in Washington planned for Tuesday and Wednesday to coincide with the US Congress’ vote on Wednesday affirming Joe Biden’s election victory. Continue reading...
< The far right, Law (US), Protest, US news, Donald Trump, Black Lives Matter movement >
- Business Insider 03:17January 5, 2021Proud Boys leader arrested in Washington, DC, on charges of destruction of propertyEnrique Tarrio was arrested in connection to a mid-December protest where a BLM banner belonging to a historically Black church was burned.
< Politics, News, Proud Boys, Washington DC, Black Lives Matter, Black Lives Matter protests >
- Business Insider 02:13January 4, 2021Kyle Rittenhouse shooting victims seek $20 million in damagesA victim and relatives of a man killed in Kenosha, Wisconsin, claim police and local officials were negligent, enabling the violence that erupted.
< Law, Kyle rittenhouse, Black Lives Matter, Kenosha >
- Breitbart News 19:37January 2, 2021D.C. Officials Slam Pro-Trump Rally Planned to Oppose Biden's ElectionOfficials in the District of Columbia are characterizing a pro-Trump rally planned for January 6 as backed by extremists
< 2020 Election, Law and Order, Politics, Antifa, Black Lives Matter, Congress, Donald Trump, Electoral College, Harry's, Hotel Harrington, Joe Biden, Karl Racine, Muriel Bowser, Proud Boys, rally >
- Breitbart News 18:49January 1, 2021Sadiq Khan Lights Up London Sky with BLM Fist for New Year FireworksMayor Sadiq Khan surprised locked down Londoners with a divisive New Year display which used fireworks and drones to light up the night sky with the clenched fist symbol of Black Lives Matter.
< London / Europe, Politics, Social Justice, Black Lives Matter, Black Lives Matter UK, BLM, Community Cohesion, diversity, Identity Politics, labour, Labour Party, London, Mass Migration, Multiculturalism, New Year, sadiq khan, Social Cohesion, Stormzy >
- Breitbart News 17:26January 1, 2021Lori Lightfoot’s Chicago Sees 55% Rise in Homicides in 2020Chicago has just concluded one of the most violent years in its history, with a massive increase in shooting incidents and homicides, Time magazine reports.
< Crime, Economy, Politics, Black Lives Matter, Chicago, Homicides, Lori Lightfoot, shootings, Violence >
- Business Insider 20:46December 31, 2020A Black man who was wrongfully detained by a maskless police officer tested positive for COVID-19, his fiancée saidJamar Mackey was eating with his family in a mall food court when officers approached him and handcuffed him before telling him why.
< News, Black Lives Matter, Detained, coronavirus, COVID-19, Virginia >
- The Guardian 12:48December 29, 2020Oakland police investigate smashed statue of Breonna TaylorArtist Leo Carson calls damage ‘act of racist aggression aimed at suppressing fight for black freedom’Police have said they are investigating what appears to be an act of vandalism after a statue of Breonna Taylor, erected to honour her memory, was smashed in Oakland, California.The Oakland police department said late on Monday it was looking into the incident, although it had not identified any suspects or motives. The statue was found smashed on Saturday, about two weeks after it was installed. Continue reading...
< Breonna Taylor, Oakland, Black Lives Matter movement, US policing, Race, US news, World news >
- The Guardian(UK) 09:00December 29, 2020UK government accused of pursuing 'white nationalist' agendaBoss of Runnymede Trust says white working class being prioritised at expense of BAME people to win votesThe head of a race equality thinktank has accused the government of pursuing a divisive “white nationalist” agenda, prioritising the white working class at the expense of ethnic minorities in an attempt to win votes.In her first interview since being appointed director of the Runnymede Trust, Halima Begum said ministers had failed to respond meaningfully to the “seismic shifts” represented by Black Lives Matters (BLM) protests and the disproportionate effect of Covid-19 on black and minority ethnic (BAME) Britons. Continue reading...
< Conservatives, Race, Social exclusion, Black Lives Matter movement, UK news, Society, Politics >
- The Guardian 04:05December 29, 2020Andre Hill: white officer involved in fatal shooting fired amid investigationAuthorities call killing ‘a tragedy’ after Hill, 47, was shot while holding a cellphone and then denied aid A white Ohio police officer was fired Monday after bodycam footage showed him fatally shooting Andre Hill, a Black man who was holding a cellphone, then refusing to aid him for several minutes.Columbus police officer Adam Coy was fired hours after a hearing. His firing was announced in a statement from Ned Pettus Jr, the director of Columbus public safety. Continue reading...
< Ohio, US policing, Black Lives Matter movement, Race, US news >
- Guardian 18:17December 28, 2020Back to Black: how the music industry reckoned with race this yearBlack Lives Matter sparked overdue changes – but if deeper prejudices go unaddressed, they could be all too fleeting“In the wake of George Floyd” is a sentence I have both read and written too many times this year. His brutal and racist killing forced an elevated conscience across every industry: suddenly, organisations cared about Black lives and everyone wanted to amplify Black voices.The global music industry acknowledged the tragic event in May particularly strongly because so many global superstars, if not Black themselves, are influenced by Black music. Universal Music Group duly pledged $25m towards a “change fund”, while both Sony and Warner Music each pledged $100m for social justice and anti-racist causes – laudable, but ultimately minuscule compared with the value Black artists and creatives have brought to the industry. Continue reading...
< Music, Race, Culture, Rap, Hip-hop, Pop and rock, Music industry, Black Lives Matter movement, Megan Thee Stallion, George Floyd >
- Huffington Post UK 10:17December 28, 2020The 12 Absolute Worst Takes Of The Absolute Worst Year In Living Memory
< uk news, uk politics, coronavirus, matt hancock, black lives matter, Paul Joseph Watson, news, politics, matt-hancock, black-lives-matter, paul-joseph-watson, NEWS, Politics >
- Business Insider 21:53December 27, 2020Year in review: The stories in 2020 that shook and shaped America2020 was an unprecedented year full of some of the biggest events that rocked Americans to their core. Here's a recap of the year's biggest stories.
< News, coronavirus, Biden 2020, Kamala Harris, Black Lives Matter, Murder Hornets, 20/20, 2020 election, Stimulus, Kobe Bryant, Qasem Soleimani, Ghislaine Maxwell, Trump impeachment, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Breonna Taylor, jacob blake, George Floyd, Kim Jong Un >