- Business Insider 19:07November 30, 2020Tesla surges 4% to record high amid approval from China to sell its Model Y SUVTesla has already been selling its Model 3 in China, and delivered 13,000 vehicles in the country last month.
< Markets, Tesla, tesla stock, Tesla stock price, tesla stock analysis, Tesla Model Y, Model Y, Tesla vehicle delivery, China, China auto sales, Stocks, Stock Market >
- Breaking Defense 18:27November 30, 2020Space Force, AFRL To Demo Mobile Lunar Spy SatThe highly mobile D2S2 satellite will carry a 20cm camera to test the sensor performance needed for lunar imaging.
< Air Warfare, space, Air Force Research Laboratory AFRL, Center for Strategic and International Studies, China, Cislunar Highway Patrol System (CHPS), cislunar space, Lagrange points, space domain awareness SDA, Space Force, Spacepower Capstone Doctrine >
- Business Insider 17:38November 30, 2020China is trying to make up for its military commanders' lack of experience in modern warfareUnlike Russian and American defense forces, China's military has not seen real combat since the 1980s, leading to a lack of warfare knowledge.
< Military & Defense Contributors, Military & Defense, South China Morning Post, News Contributor, China, chinese military, Chinese People's Liberation Army, combat experience >
- New York Times 15:12November 30, 2020Australia Condemns Lurid Tweet by Chinese Official as ‘Disgusting Slur’The post, with a doctored photograph showing an Australian soldier with a knife to the throat of an Afghan child, sent relations between the two countries to a new low.
< Australia, China, International Relations, Defense and Military Forces, Afghanistan, Morrison, Scott (1968- ), Politics and Government, Civilian Casualties, Zhao Lijian >
- New York Times 11:00November 30, 2020Hong Kong’s Courts Are Still Independent. Some Want to Rein Them In.The judiciary is crucial to the city’s status as a global hub for trade and finance. But the Chinese Communist Party has been gaining more authority over it.
< Hong Kong Protests (2019), Politics and Government, Demonstrations, Protests and Riots, Law and Legislation, Courts and the Judiciary, Hong Kong, China >
- The Guardian 07:36November 30, 2020Australian PM demands China apologise for 'repugnant' tweet with fake image of soldierScott Morrison says China should be ‘totally ashamed’ of digitally altered image depicting Australian soldier posted by foreign ministryThe Australian prime minister, Scott Morrison, has demanded the Chinese government apologise and take down a “repugnant” foreign ministry tweet that depicted an Australian soldier cutting the throat of a civilian in Afghanistan.As the outrage over the digitally altered image threatened to sink already tense relations between the two countries to a new low, Morrison said on Monday the Chinese government “should be totally ashamed of this post”, which he said diminished Beijing on the world stage. Continue reading...
< Australian politics, Scott Morrison, China, Australia news, Asia Pacific, Brereton report >
- The Guardian(UK) 06:13November 30, 2020Huawei: UK bans new 5G network equipment from SeptemberDigital secretary says he is setting ‘clear path for complete removal of high risk vendors’ from 5G networksTelecoms providers must stop installing Huawei equipment in the UK’s 5G networks from next September, the government has said.The digital secretary, Oliver Dowden, set out a roadmap to remove high-risk vendors ahead of the telecommunications (security) bill coming before parliament. Continue reading...
< Huawei, UK news, China >
- Modern Tokyo Times 05:45November 30, 2020Art of Japan and the holy Buddhist monk Kaō NingaArt of Japan and the holy Buddhist monk Kaō Ninga Lee Jay Walker Modern Tokyo Times The holy Buddhist monk Kaō Ninga belongs to the world of bygone days. Hence, while the ideas of the fourteenth century represent the highpoint of his artistic life during the Muromachi period, earlier ideas equally blessed this gifted monk. […]
< China, Japan Art, Japan culture, Art of Muromachi period, Art of the Middle Kingdom, Art of Zen Buddhism, Japan art, Japan art and culture, Japan culture. Tags: Art of Kaō Ninga, Japan news agency, Japanese Buddhist art and Kaō: Fourteenth-century art and the Middle Kingdom, Japanese Zen Buddhist art, Kamakura art and culture, Kaō Ninga art, Lee Jay Walker, Modern Tokyo News, Modern Tokyo Times, Muromachi art, Nanboku-chō period, The Middle Kingdom and art, Tokyo art, Tokyo news agency, Tokyo news and ideas, Zen Buddhist art >
- Business Insider 02:48November 30, 2020China's new stealth bomber will allow it to make 'truly intercontinental' strikes, report saysThe subsonic jet will be a "major break" from China's current capacity and could allow it to target more distant US bases.
< Military & Defense Contributors, Military & Defense, South China Morning Post, News Contributor, China, Chinese air force, Chinese Peoples Liberation Army Air Force, H-20, stealth bomber >
- Breitbart News 01:19November 30, 2020Report: U.S. to Have 500K Fewer U.S. Births in 2021 Due to Coronavirus CrisisThe United States is expected to have up to 500,000 fewer births next year as a result of the Chinese coronavirus crisis, according to research.
< Health, Politics, birth rate, China, coronavirus, pandemic >
- Breitbart News 16:27November 29, 2020SAGE: No Hugging, Carolling, or Playing Monopoly on Covid Christmas, Say Govt AdvisersBritons should avoid gathering around the Monopoly board, singing with family members, or hugging loved ones during the Christmas season, the government's scientific quango has warned.
< Faith, Health, London / Europe, China virus, Chinese coronavirus, Chris Whitty, Christianity, Christmas, coronavirus, COVID-19, Family, holidays, lockdown, national lockdown, pandemic, SAGE, United Kingdom, war on Christmas, Wuhan virus >
- The Guardian 10:15November 29, 2020A year after Wuhan alarm, China seeks to change Covid origin storyReports in state media signal an intensifying propaganda effort to place the birth of the virus in other countriesCoronavirus – latest updatesSee all our coronavirus coverageNearly a year after doctors identified the first cases of a worrying new disease in the Chinese city of Wuhan, the country appears to be stepping up a campaign to question the origins of the global Covid-19 pandemic.State media has been reporting intensively on coronavirus discovered on packaging of frozen food imports, not considered a significant vector of infection elsewhere, and research into possible cases of the disease found outside China’s borders before December 2019. Continue reading...
< China, Coronavirus, Media, Asia Pacific, Infectious diseases, World news >
- Business Insider 19:29November 28, 2020China is testing homemade engines that would allow its transport planes to carry tanks to the front lineChina is reportedly testing a domestically designed engine for military transport planes that could increase the loads they can carry by about 20%.
< Military & Defense Contributors, Military & Defense, South China Morning Post, News Contributor, Y-20, 99A, Chinese Peoples Liberation Army Air Force, Chinese air force >
- Business Insider 16:28November 28, 2020Trump's overinflated macho persona could spark international problems in the waning days of his presidency.
< Opinion, Politics, Military & Defense, BI Commentary, Opinion, President Donald Trump, Joe Biden, 2020 election, Iran, China, Venezuela >
- New York Times 07:40November 28, 2020Beijing Takes Its South China Sea Strategy to the HimalayasChina built a village in territory also claimed by the kingdom of Bhutan, echoing its aggressive tactics at the border with India and in places much farther away.
< Defense and Military Forces, Territorial Disputes, Politics and Government, Bhutan, China, India, Tibet >
- New York Times 14:52November 27, 2020They Beat Back the Virus (Again and Again and Again)Hard-to-trace clusters, along with pandemic fatigue, have forced officials in Hong Kong, South Korea and Japan to keep recalibrating their responses.
< Coronavirus (2019-nCoV), China, Hong Kong, Japan, Far East, South and Southeast Asia and Pacific Areas >
- Coindesk 13:35November 27, 2020Chinese Authorities Have Seized a Massive $4 Billion in Crypto From PlusToken ScamCryptocurrencies worth billions of dollars have been seized during the police crackdown on the PlusToken Ponzi scheme in China.
< Policy & regulation, News, Crime, China, Ponzi Schemes, PlusToken, CoinFlash >
- Breitbart News 13:35November 27, 2020Communist China Waging 'Shadow Trade War' on Australia(AFP) -- Biting new Chinese trade tariffs have stoked fears that Australia's virus-weakened economy is being targeted for political retribution and the two countries may be sliding into a shadow trade war.
< Asia, London / Europe, Politics, Australia, CCP, China, Chinese Communist Party, Chinese Communist Party (CCP), communism, communists, coronavirus, COVID-19, pandemic, Scott Morrison, Tariffs, trade, trade war, Wuhan virus >
- Coindesk 12:18November 27, 2020China’s Xi Asks ASEAN Nations to Join in Building of ‘Digital Silk Road’Xi Jinping pushed for digitally enhanced trade among Southeast Asian nations in a keynote at the China-ASEAN Expo on Friday.
< Policy & regulation, News, China, Southeast Asia, Trade, Xi Jinping >
- Business Insider 21:58November 26, 2020China's Sinopharm has applied for regulatory approval to launch a COVID-19 vaccine for public use, but nearly 1 million people have already taken experimental shotsThe rush to access coronavirus shots from Chinese vaccine frontrunner Sinopharm is spurring fears that a black market is forming and booming.
< Healthcare, Science, News, International, Healthcare, COVID-19, covid vaccine, vaccine news, Vaccine trials, China, Sinopharm, coronavirus, Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca >
- New York Times 13:00November 26, 2020Chinese Statue of Yang Asha, Goddess of Beauty, Sparks DebateAs China fights to end extreme poverty while also recovering from the economic damage of the coronavirus, the supposed wisdom of building huge statues in poorer areas to grow tourism is coming under harsh scrutiny.
< China, Economic Conditions and Trends, Politics and Government, Poverty, Monuments and Memorials (Structures), Local Government >
- Business Insider 12:48November 26, 2020Apple is moving iPad production out of China for the first time ever because of Trump's trade warA source with knowledge of the matter told Reuters Apple wants to "diversify production following the trade war."
< Tech Insider, Apple, iPad, MacBook, China, Vietnam, Foxconn >
- The Guardian 09:45November 26, 2020Xi Jinping calls to congratulate Joe Biden on election winChinese president told future counterpart he hoped two countries would ‘uphold sprit of non-conflict, focus on cooperation’The Chinese president, Xi Jinping, has congratulated Joe Biden on winning the US election, leaving just a handful of world leaders, including Russia’s Vladimir Putin, who have not recognised Biden’s win.Chinese state media said that in a phone call Xi told Biden he hoped the two countries would “uphold the spirit of non-conflict, non-confrontation, mutual respect and win-win cooperation, [to] focus on cooperation, manage differences, advance the healthy and stable development of China-US ties, and join hands with other countries and the international community to promote the noble cause of world peace and development”. Continue reading...
< China, Xi Jinping, Joe Biden, Asia Pacific, World news, US news >
- Business Insider 02:23November 26, 2020A day-by-day breakdown of coronavirus symptoms shows how COVID-19 goes from bad to worseThe first symptom is often a fever. By day five, the person may have difficulty breathing. By day 10, they might be admitted to the ICU.
< Science, News, China, Symptoms, Disease, COVID-19, coronavirus >
- Breitbart News 02:02November 26, 2020Georgia Democrat Senate Candidate Jon Ossoff Claims ‘Oversight’ in Omitting Payment from Chinese Communist-Linked CompanyGeorgia Senate Democrat candidate Jon Ossoff's campaign said its omission of a payment from the CCP was a result of a "paperwork oversight."
< 2020 Election, Asia, Politics, China, Chinese Communist Party, Georgia, Hong Kong, Jon Ossoff >
- Coindesk 22:57November 25, 2020Blockchain Infrastructure Firm BSN Adds Polkadot, Oasis, Bityuan to NetworkChina’s state-sanctioned blockchain infrastructure provider BSN is adding cross-chain protocol Polkadot, decentralized cloud data startup Oasis and China-based project Bityuan to its network.
< Policy & regulation, China, Blockchain, Polkadot, Oasis, BSN, Global >
- Business Insider 21:33November 25, 2020The US Air Force has 'studied every single piece of concrete in the Pacific' to find new places to fight fromThe prospect of a war with China's rapidly modernizing military and its growing reach across the Pacific has the US military looking to spread out.
< Military & Defense, International, US Air Force, Pacific Air Forces, Indo-Pacific, Agile Combat Employment, China, distributed operations >
- Business Insider 17:58November 25, 2020China's Xi Jinping finally congratulates Biden on his 2020 election win, with only a few world leaders still holding outThe Chinese president had stayed silent while other world leaders rushed to congratulate President-elect Joe Biden weeks ago.
< Politics, News, International, Xi Jinping, China, Joe Biden, 2020 election, Asia >
- New York Times 23:40November 24, 2020Pope Calls Uighurs ‘Persecuted,’ Prompting Pushback From ChinaIn a new book, Pope Francis mentioned the crackdown on the Muslim minority group for the first time. Beijing rejected his characterization as “groundless.”
< Priests, Uighurs (Chinese Ethnic Group), Roman Catholic Church, Francis, Beijing (China) >
- Business Insider 23:26November 24, 2020Biden's foreign policy will be 'day and night' from Trump's but he faces massive challenges, veteran diplomats warn"You're not going to have daily, sometimes hourly tweets on sensitive foreign policy matters," one veteran diplomat told Insider.
< Politics, News, Joe Biden, Donald Trump, Foreign Policy, China, Iran, Russia, Barack Obama, original reporting, COVID-19 >
- Coindesk 21:52November 24, 2020OKEx to Resume Withdrawals Before Nov. 27, Offers New Compensation ProgramsOKEx will compensate those users who have been frustrated by its suspension on withdrawal service.
< Markets, News, China, OKEx, Crypto Exchange >
- Business Insider 14:24November 24, 2020Shanghai's airport — the 11th-busiest in the world — ringfenced 17,700 employees for COVID-19 testing after finding 5 positive cases linked to the cargo unitShanghai Pudong International Airport has canceled hundreds of flights since testing began on Sunday. It is the second-busiest airport in China.
< Science, Transportation, News UK, Shanghai, China, coronavirus, Airport >
- Breitbart News 05:02November 24, 2020James Mattis: Joe Biden Must Eliminate 'America First' from U.S. Foreign PolicyFormer Secretary of Defense James Mattis declared in an article in Foreign Affairs on Monday that the "America First" foreign policy had damaged national security, and called on Joe Biden to "eliminate 'America first'" from U.S. strategy.
< National Security, Politics, America First, China, foreign policy, James Mattis, Joe Biden >
- Business Insider 23:36November 23, 2020China just launched a mission to the moon to collect rock samples — the first time a country will have done so in more than 40 yearsThe Chang'e-5 mission is the latest step in China's ambitious plan to land on and study the moon. The rock samples will come from an unexplored area.
< Science, News, Moon, Spaceflight, lunar lander, China >
- Business Insider 20:49November 23, 2020Alibaba's CEO said China's new tech regulations are 'timely and necessary' as the nation aims to keep internet firms from growing into powerful monopoliesAlibaba CEO Daniel Zhang's comments contrast sharply with those made by Jack Ma, whose Ant Group IPO was pulled after he snubbed Chinese regulators.
< Tech Insider, Retail, Finance, Alibaba, China, Ant Group, Tech Regulation >
- New York Times 17:12November 23, 2020China Says It Remains Open to the World, but Wants to Dictate TermsChina’s leader, Xi Jinping, is pursuing a strategy to make the country’s economy more self-sufficient, while making other places more dependent on it than ever.
< Economic Conditions and Trends, Politics and Government, International Trade and World Market, United States International Relations, International Relations, Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation, Communist Party of China, Xi Jinping, China >
- Guardian 16:17November 23, 2020From Trump's failures to frustration in Wuhan: the rise of Covid documentariesAmong a growing number of films about coronavirus, artist-activist Ai Weiwei takes a citizen’s-eye view in China while Alex Gibney counts the cost of America’s distrust of scientific adviceAs early as April this year, Vulture reported that at least 20 coronavirus-related documentary projects were shooting or seeking funding. Seven months later, five significant feature documentaries about the virus have been completed, with countless more due to follow. Made from various perspectives, each film has something different to say about the earliest days of the pandemic. Continue reading...
< Documentary films, Film, Culture, Coronavirus, Alex Gibney, Ai Weiwei, China, US news, World news, Art and design, Asia Pacific >
- The Guardian 13:52November 23, 2020Trump’s US investment ban aims to cement tough-on-China legacyMove is latest chapter in deteriorating relationship with Beijing and improvement under Joe Biden is unlikelyDonald Trump has banned US investment in a further 89 Chinese companies, and reportedly sent a navy admiral to Taiwan, as he seeks to secure a tough-on-China foreign policy legacy.Multiple media outlets have reported plans by the Trump administration for a series of confrontations with China before Biden’s inauguration on 20 January, and the moves were largely expected. Foreign policy and political analysts believe Trump wants to leave a legacy of being tough on China, while simultaneously conducting a “scorched earth” policy on his way out of the White House. Continue reading...
< Donald Trump, US news, World news, China, Asia Pacific, Taiwan, Joe Biden, Xi Jinping >
- Coindesk 12:39November 23, 2020China Construction Bank Pulls Planned Listing of Bitcoin-Tradable BondThe "Big Four" Chinese bank has suspended the listing of a $3 billion bond issuance that was intended to be tradable for bitcoin and U.S. dollars.
< Business, News, Malaysia, Bonds, China Construction Bank, CoinFlash >
- Breaking Defense 12:01November 23, 2020Chinese Party Sets Bold Military Goal: ‘Mechanized & Informationized’ By 2027This marks Dean Cheng’s first op-ed for us as a member of the Breaking Defense Board of Contributors. One of the world’s preeminent experts on the Chinese military, Cheng demonstrates here the sophistication and subtlety of analysis he is known for. What does the west need to do to better manage its relationships with China…
< Allies, Pentagon, Threats, Belt and Road Initiative, China, op-ed. op-eds. commentary, peoples liberation army >
- Coindesk 11:38November 23, 2020China to Hold Second Lottery Trial of the Digital YuanA lottery in Suzhou will additionally trial the offline feature of the digital yuan, per a Monday report.
< Tech, Policy & regulation, News, China, PBOC, Digital Yuan, CoinFlash >
- The Guardian 08:46November 23, 2020Hong Kong activist Joshua Wong faces jail after guilty plea over police HQ protestsJoshua Wong urges everyone to ‘hang in there, add oil’ as he, Agnes Chow, and Ivan Lam are taken away ahead of sentencing next weekHong Kong activists Joshua Wong, Agnes Chow, and Ivan Lam face the prospect of jail after pleading guilty to charges relating to protests outside a police station last year.The trial was scheduled to begin on Monday, but after pleading guilty they were taken away ahead of a sentencing hearing on Wednesday next week, where they face a penalty of up to five years in prison. Wong said he expected to be jailed. Continue reading...
< Hong Kong, China, Protest, Asia Pacific >
- The Guardian 07:09November 23, 2020Head of Tibet government-in-exile visits White House for first time in six decadesThe visit by Lobsang Sangay, president of the Central Tibetan administration, could further infuriate BeijingThe head of the Tibetan government in exile has visited the White House for the first time in six decades, a move that could further infuriate China, which has accused the US of trying to destabilise the region.Lobsang Sangay, the President of the Central Tibetan administration (CTA), was invited to Washington to meet officials on Friday, the CTA said. “This unprecedented meeting perhaps will set an optimistic tone for CTA participation with US officials and be more formalised in the coming years,” said the CTA, which is based in India’s Dharamshala. Continue reading...
< Tibet, US politics, China, Asia Pacific, US news, World news >
- Breitbart News 05:17November 23, 2020Report: Biden to Name Russia Hoaxer, CNN Analyst Tony Blinken Secretary of StateFormer Vice President Joe Biden is reportedly set to announce this week that Tony Blinken, who supported the idea of "Russia collusion," would be his Secretary of State.
< 2020 Election, National Security, Politics, China, Hillary Clinton, Jake Sullivan, Robert Mueller, Russia collusion, Tony Blinken >
- New York Times 05:00November 23, 2020Intel and Nvidia Chips Power a Chinese Surveillance SystemIntel and Nvidia chips power a supercomputing center that tracks people in a place where government suppresses minorities, raising questions about the tech industry’s responsibility.
< China, Xinjiang (China), Surveillance of Citizens by Government, Computer Vision, Facial Recognition Software, Computer Chips, Computers and the Internet, Artificial Intelligence, Cameras, Muslims and Islam, Uighurs (Chinese Ethnic Group), Human Rights and Human Rights Violations, Intel Corporation, NVIDIA Corporation >
- The Guardian(UK) 17:32November 22, 2020Hackers 'try to steal Covid vaccine secrets in intellectual property war'Agencies point finger at state-sponsored hackers from China, Russia, Iran and North KoreaWho is targeting vaccine developers?Coronavirus – latest updatesSee all our coronavirus coverageState-sponsored hackers from China, Russia, Iran and North Korea are engaged in concerted attempts to steal coronavirus vaccine secrets in what security experts describe as “an intellectual property war”.They accuse hostile-state hackers of trying to obtain trial results early and seize sensitive information about drug mass production, at a time when a range of vaccines are close to being approved for the public. Continue reading...
< Coronavirus, Infectious diseases, Science, China, Russia, Iran, North Korea, Asia Pacific, Europe, Middle East and North Africa, World news >
- Breitbart News 16:50November 22, 2020China Issues Instructions for 'Incoming Biden Administration'Obey Beijing, do not challenge China's assumed economic superiority and open your domestic markets without restraint: these are the three key instructions for Joe Biden issued in an op-ed piece published Sunday by the Global Times, official propaganda mouthpiece of the Chinese Communist Party.
< Asia, Economy, Politics, Beijing, China, Donald Trump, Global Times, Joe Biden, trade >
- Breitbart News 12:27November 22, 2020Chinese Communist Party Accuses Italy of Being Origin of Wuhan VirusThe Chinese Communist Party (CCP) has jumped on a medical study that suggested the Wuhan virus was present in Italy as early as September to claim that the European nation was the epicentre of the virus rather than China.
< Asia, Health, London / Europe, CCP, China, China virus, Chinese Communist Party, Chinese virus, coronavirus, COVID-19, Italy, Matteo Salvini, Wuhan, Wuhan coronavirus, Wuhan virus, Zhao Lijian >
- Business Insider 23:48November 21, 2020China's Xi Jinping pledged to work with other countries to accelerate COVID-19 vaccinationsPresident Xi Jinping said China is "willing to strengthen coordination" internationally for vaccine "research and development, production, and distribution."
< Science, coronavirus, Xi Jinpeng, China, COVID-19, Vaccines, G20 Summit >
- Coindesk 23:16November 21, 2020China’s Xi Asks G20 Countries to Be ‘Open and Accommodating’ to CBDCsIn a wide-ranging speech, Xi said that the G20 group “needs to discuss developing standards and principles for central bank digital currencies.”
< Policy & regulation, People, News, China, G20, CBDC >