- Huffington Post UK 13:57November 19, 2019Taylor Swift And Her Former Label Appear To Have Reached Agreement In Row Over Old Songs... We Think
< ukmusic, Taylor Swift, Scooter Braun, Big Machine Records, Dick Clark Productions, taylor-swift, scooter-braun, big-machine-records, dick-clark-productions, ENTERTAINMENT, entertainment >
- Breitbart News 07:14November 11, 2019Dick Morris: Any GOP Senator Who Votes to Impeach Trump 'Is Signing His Own Political Death Warrant'Sunday on New York AM 970 radio’s “The Cats Roundtable,” political commentator and former Bill Clinton adviser Dick Morris advised GOP senators against voting to impeach President Donald Trump. Morris said any GOP senator who does vote to impeach the president
< Clips, Media, Politics, Dick Morris, Donald Trump, impeachment, John Catsimatidis, The Cats Roundtable >
- Business Insider 17:27November 9, 2019Plummeting participation in youth football is a huge opportunity for fall baseball leagues across the US, according to the CEO of Dick'sHollis Johnson/Business Insider Dick's Sporting Goods CEO Ed Stack said that youth football is on the decline in the United States.
In a recent interview with Business Insider, Stack said that he's observed that consumers are increasingly flocking toward merchandise associated with youth soccer and baseball.
The CEO singled out the rise of "fall ball" baseball leagues for kids as providing an alternative to football.
Sign up for Business Insider's retail newsletter, The Drive-Thru.
Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories. Sporting goods stores are probably the best places to get a decent idea of what's going on with youth sports today. Where else can you observe firsthand which pieces of equipment are getting grabbed up and which products are striking out with shoppers?
In a recent interview with Business Insider, Dick's Sporting Goods CEO Ed Stack said that he's been noticing one pattern in particular in his fleet of stores: the decline of youth football. Parents are dodging pigskins, shoulder pads, and bulky helmets in favor of soccer balls and baseball bats. See the rest of the story at Business InsiderNOW WATCH: 96% of the brains in an NFL study tested positive for diseaseSee Also:Target is expanding active-shooter training for hundreds of thousands of employees across the USWe went to Barneys right after liquidation sales began and saw the measly discounts that have prompted complaints from shoppersMcDonald's new CEO had a global town hall about the future of the fast-food giantREAD MORE: Tom Brady spotted in a new helmet as his old headgear will soon be banned due to safety concerns
SEE ALSO: Washington State football player who committed suicide had extensive CTE and the brain of a 65-year-old
< Dick's Sporting Goods, Dick's, BI Select, Football, Baseball, Concussion, Concussions, CTE, Retail, >
- Huffington Post UK 19:49November 8, 2019Dick Cheney Blasts Christian Bale's Portrayal Of Him In Vice
< ukfilm, Christian Bale, Dick Cheney, christian-bale, dick-cheney, ENTERTAINMENT, entertainment >
- Business Insider 00:11November 6, 2019The CEO of Dick's weighs in on why 'buycotts' didn't help out the sporting goods retailer when it was getting slammed by the NRAHollis Johnson/Business Insider Dick's Sporting Goods CEO Ed Stack said that "buycotts" in support of the company's decision to nix sales of AR-15-style rifles were "appreciated" but insignificant from a financial perspective.
In a recent interview with Business Insider, Stack said that boycotts of Dick's ended up having a far greater impact on the chain's bottom line.
Stack added that shareholders, unlike customers, had a far less intense reaction to the announcement.
Sign up for Business Insider's retail newsletter, The Drive-Thru.
Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories. Dick's Sporting Goods contended with both boycotts and "buycotts" in the wake of its decision to draw back from the gun business.
But according to CEO Ed Stack, the consumers who gave the company the cold shoulder had a far greater effect on business than any newfound supporters.See the rest of the story at Business InsiderNOW WATCH: HENRY BLODGET: The NRA's extremism hurts gun owners, NRA members, and AmericaSee Also:Under Armour executives defend accounting practices as 'appropriate' and say the company is fully cooperating with federal investigationI just went to Wegmans for the first time, and now I see why the grocery chain has such a massive cult followingPeople are obsessed with buying their cars through Costco instead of at auto dealerships — these are the biggest differences between the twoSEE ALSO: Dick's Sporting Goods CEO, who is reportedly testing a presidential run, told us why he doesn't regret losing $250 million after taking a stand on gun control
DON'T MISS: The CEO of Dick's explains how Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson has helped his company turn the corner with Under Armour
SEE ALSO: The CEO of Dick's, which banned AR-15 style rifles last year, says he wishes Sen. Mitch McConnell would have the 'guts' to address gun reform
< BI Select, Ed Stack, Dick's, Dick's Sporting Goods, >
- Huffington Post UK 21:33November 2, 2019BBC Privately Apologises To Harvey Proctor After Naga Munchetty Interview Walk Out
< uk news, uk politics, bbc, BBC Breakfast, Cressida Dick, Naga Munchetty, Harvey Proctor, news, politics, bbc-breakfast, cressida-dick, naga-munchetty, harvey-proctor, NEWS, Politics, Entertainment, entertainment >
- Observer 17:13November 1, 2019Can Apple TV+ Overcome Its Lackluster Content by Sheer Market Domination?Apple TV+ launches today worldwide with a less-than-inspiring scripted content lineup. But as the most-used brand across the globe, can Apple still win the streaming wars?
< Apple, apple tv, Dickinson, disney, For All Mankind, HBO Max, Netflix, Peacock, See, The Morning Show >
- Business Insider 16:48October 23, 2019Dick's Sporting Goods CEO who led the chain in ending assault rifle sales and destroying $5 million in guns is reportedly testing the idea of a presidential runHollis Johnson/Business Insider Dick's Sporting Goods CEO Ed Stack is reportedly testing the idea of running as a third-party candidate in the 2020 presidential election.
According to a new report from Politico, a focus group in Wisconsin was shown videos with Stack messaging and asked whether they would consider voting for a third-party candidate.
A spokesperson for Dick's did not immediately respond to Business Insider's request for comment. A source close to Stack told Politico that he has "no plans to run for any elected office."
Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories. The CEO of Dick's Sporting Goods is reportedly testing the idea of running as a third-party candidate in the 2020 presidential election.
According to a new report from Politico, Dicks CEO Ed Stack has been doing a bit of research around whether a campaign could be successful, floating the idea to a focus group in Wisconsin. See the rest of the story at Business InsiderNOW WATCH: Hugh Hefner's Playboy empire became an iconic part of pop culture, but struggled to keep up. Here's what led to the company's rise and fall.See Also:I went shopping at Kleinfeld, the high-end bridal salon where TLC's 'Say Yes to the Dress' is filmed — here's what it was likeFrom a Champagne vending machine to a 007 Aston Martin, here are the over-the-top gifts on Neiman Marcus' gift guide for the ultra-wealthyThe CEO of Dick's explains how Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson has helped his company turn the corner with Under ArmourSEE ALSO: Dick's Sporting Goods destroyed $5 million worth of assault weapons — and its CEO tells us the gun industry's blowback has been 'a blessing in disguise'
< Dick's Sporting Goods, Ed Stack, BI Select, 2020 Campaign, >
- Breitbart News 16:45October 23, 2019Dick's CEO Ed Stack Tests Third-Party Presidential RunDick's Sporting Goods CEO Ed Stack may parlay his corporate gun control push into a third-party run for the presidency in 2020.
< 2020 Election, Politics, Pre-Viral, corporate gun control, Dick's Sporting Goods, Ed Stack, President Trump, Second Amendment >
- Breitbart News 09:04October 22, 2019India's Visa Workers Raise Funds to Launch Attack Ads on U.S. PoliticiansIndia's contract workers in the United States are raising funds to run attack ads against the Democrat Senator who is blocking their demand for fast-track green cards.
< Economy, Immigration, Politics, Dick Durbin, Donald Trump, H-1B, Mike Lee, OPT, S. 386, U.S-India Outsourcing Economy, visa workers >
- Breitbart News 05:49October 21, 2019Dick Morris: 'If You Feel a Pulse, You Know Hillary’s Going to Run'During Sunday’s broadcast of “The Cats Roundtable” on New York AM 970 radio, political commentator and former Bill Clinton adviser Dick Morris weighed in on the prospect Hillary Clinton adds her name to the crowded field of 2020 Democratic presidential candidates.
< 2020 Election, Clips, Politics, Dick Morris, Hillary Clinton, John Catsimatidis, The Cats Roundtable >
- Business Insider 16:12October 19, 2019The CEO of Dick's explains how Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson has helped his company turn the corner with Under ArmourAndrew Kelly/Reuters Dick's Sporting Goods CEO Ed Stack credited Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson with helping to shape up his company's Under Armour sales.
In 2018, Stack expressed concerns that Under Armour's "expanded distribution" strategy was hurting sales of the athletic apparel at his sporting goods retailer.
Under Armour first partnered with Johnson in 2015 and has unrolled Project Rock products in the years since.
In a recent interview with Business Insider, Stack said that Dick's has seen Under Armour sales recover since it amped up a "big presence" around The Rock in stores.
Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories. Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson is famous for saving the day in action flicks like "San Andreas," "Skyscraper," and "The Scorpion King." But beyond the world of Hollywood blockbusters, Johnson's Project Rock apparel collaboration with Under Armour can also be credited with helping to rescue the partnership between the Baltimore-based clothing retailer and Dick's Sporting Goods.
In a recent interview with Business Insider, Dick's CEO Ed Stack said that Project Rock was responsible for boosting sales and setting the partnership between the brands back on "solid" ground."See the rest of the story at Business InsiderNOW WATCH: How Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson could make a real run as president — according to someone who's known him since 1999See Also:Chick-fil-A's first UK location will close after 6 months, revealing how the chain's polarizing reputation could impact a key aspect of its explosive growthThe CEO of Dick's, which banned AR-15 style rifles last year, says he wishes Sen. Mitch McConnell would have the 'guts' to address gun reformMore than 8,600 stores are closing in 2019 as the retail apocalypse drags on — here's the full listSEE ALSO: Dick's Sporting Goods destroyed $5 million worth of assault weapons — and its CEO tells us the gun industry's blowback has been 'a blessing in disguise'
DON'T MISS: Dick's Sporting Goods is selling 8 of its hunting-centric Field & Stream stores, and it could signal a shift in the company's gun strategy
SEE ALSO: Major retailers are facing backlash for selling guns. Here's how 13 chains across America sell them.
< dwayne the rock johnson, Dwayne Johnson, The Rock, Dick's, Dick's Sporting Goods, Ed Stack, BI Select, Hollis Johnson, BI Photo, >
- Business Insider 21:02October 17, 2019The CEO of Dick's, which banned AR-15 style rifles last year, says he wishes Sen. Mitch McConnell would have the 'guts' to address gun reformHollis Johnson / Business Insider Dick's Sporting Goods CEO Ed Stack supports HR8, a bill that would require background checks for all firearm sales.
The bill passed in the House of Representatives in February, but Republican Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has not yet brought it to a vote in the Senate.
Citing a swell of public support for the measure, Stack said that he doesn't understand why Congress has not taken action.
"It's not a political hot button any longer," Stack told Business Insider in a recent interview. "I don't know what McConnell's afraid of."
Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories. Dick's Sporting Goods CEO Ed Stack wants to know what's got US Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell so scared about gun reform.
Speaking with Business Insider about his new book "It's How We Play the Game" on October 7, Stack addressed the sporting goods retailer's pivot away from the gun business. Dick's ceased sales of "assault-style rifles" – semi-automatic rifles like the AR-15 — last year and destroyed $5 million worth of the guns in the wake of the Parkland massacre.See the rest of the story at Business InsiderNOW WATCH: 'These jobs are not coming back': Watch Mitch McConnell get confronted by an upset constituentSee Also:16 wild details that reveal the lavish life of WeWork founders Adam and Rebekah NeumannBurger King follows in McDonald's footsteps with Uber Eats deliveryStartups like Glossier and Rent the Runway love throwing Instagrammable 'summer camps' for employees — but WeWork's version has become a cautionary taleSEE ALSO: Dick's Sporting Goods will stop selling guns in 100 more stores after a successful 10-store test
DON'T MISS: Dick's Sporting Goods destroyed $5 million worth of assault weapons — and its CEO tells us the gun industry's blowback has been 'a blessing in disguise'
SEE ALSO: Dick's Sporting Goods is selling 8 of its hunting-centric Field & Stream stores, and it could signal a shift in the company's gun strategy
< Dick's Sporting Goods, Dick's, Ed Stack, BI Select, Mitch McConnell, Gun Control, gun reform, >
- Business Insider 18:36October 13, 2019Companies like Walmart and SoulCycle are facing more boycotts than ever in the Trump era, but many are still clueless in how to respondROBYN BECK/AFP/Getty Images) Company boycotts are becoming more prevalent in our highly-politicized culture.
Companies like Walmart and SoulCycle have faced boycotts.
Companies can no longer ignore their customers when it comes to boycotts and hope it blows over. They must act definitively to address customer concerns.
Michael Gordon is a long-time Democratic strategist and the principal for the strategic communications firm, Group Gordon.
Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories. Boycotts seem to be a dime a dozen in our culture. With the gale-force influence of social media as the wind in their sails, boycotts spur a media blitz that quickly subsides in our whiplash-inducing news cycle. Then, media and public attention shift to the next big scandal.
But the ubiquity of boycotts does not diminish their seriousness. They remain a powerful form of consumer advocacy that tests the values and standards businesses purport to represent.See the rest of the story at Business InsiderNOW WATCH: How Area 51 became the center of alien conspiracy theoriesSee Also:If American companies seem pathetic when it comes to China, it's because they areJoe Biden has a serious college-voter problemHow Tesla could rescue the US motorcycle market
< Opinion, Walmart, SoulCycle, Dick's Sporting Goods, Boycott, >
- Huffington Post UK 09:13October 12, 2019This Is How Extinction Rebellion Is Funded, And Where It Spends The Money
< Extinction Rebellion, Cressida Dick, extinction-rebellion, cressida-dick, NEWS, news >
- Huffington Post UK 21:40October 10, 2019More Than 1,000 Extinction Rebellion Protestors Have Been Arrested, Met Police Confirm
< uk news, Climate Change, Metropolitan Police Service, Extinction Rebellion, Cressida Dick, news, climate-change, metropolitan-police-service, extinction-rebellion, cressida-dick, NEWS >
- Business Insider 00:13October 9, 2019Dick's Sporting Goods destroyed $5 million worth of assault weapons — and its CEO tells us the gun industry's blowback has been 'a blessing in disguise' (DKS)Eduardo Munoz/Reuters Dick's Sporting Goods destroyed $5 million worth of assault weapons in 2018 after banning them from its Field & Stream hunting and fishing stores in the wake of the Parkland shooting. Dick's banned them from its signature big box stores in 2012 following the Sandy Hook massacre.
Dick's CEO Ed Stack spoke with Business Insider about his company's pivot away from the gun business.
Stack called the changes his team made after the AR-15 move a potential "blessing in disguise," due to better sales performance in stores where hunting was removed and market-specific bestsellers expanded.
This article is part of Business Insider's ongoing series on Better Capitalism.
Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories. Dick's Sporting Goods destroyed $5 million worth of "assault-style rifles," semi-automatic rifles like the AR-15, last year after it stopped selling them at all of its stores.
"We had a fair amount invested in these guns," Dick's CEO Ed Stack told Business Insider on Tuesday. The company announced last April that it destroyed the guns it no longer sold, but Stack only just now disclosed the value of the destroyed guns in his new book, "It's How We Play the Game."See the rest of the story at Business InsiderNOW WATCH: Henry Blodget: Will arming teachers with guns help stop school shootings?See Also:These are the 6 nastiest cruise ships15 things you're doing that make people dislike you immediatelyThese 4 sites have emerged as alternatives for Tumblr users in the wake of the platform's ban on NSFW imagesSEE ALSO: Dick's Sporting Goods will stop selling guns in 100 more stores after a successful 10-store test
READ MORE: Major retailers are facing backlash for selling guns. Here's how 13 chains across America sell them.
SEE ALSO: We shopped at Dick's and Modell's to see which was a better sporting-goods store, and there was a clear winner
< Dick's, Dick's Sporting Goods, ar-15, Gun Control, gun debate, Assault Rifle, BI Select, Better Capitalism, DKS >
- Breitbart News 02:54October 7, 2019Dick's Destroyed $5 Mil. Worth of 'Assault Rifles' to Keep Them 'Off the Street'Dick's Sporting Goods CEO Ed Stack told CBS News that his company destroyed $5 million worth of "assault-style rifles" to keep them out of private hands
< 2nd Amendment, Politics, corporate gun control, Dick's Sporting Goods, Ed Stack, Second Amendment >
- New York Magazine 01:07October 4, 2019For Presidents and Candidates, Heart Disease Is Not So UncommonBernie Sanders’s mild heart attack offered a reminder that past presidents and candidates had heart ailments and other life-threatening medical conditions, sometimes hidden, sometimes overcome, sometimes the result of unhealthy choices.
< politics, vision 2020, disease, heart disease, stents, presidents, presidential candidates, bernie sanders, lyndon johnson, dwight d. eisenhower, john f. kennedy, bill clinton, george w. bush, ronald reagan, woodrow wilson, franklin d. roosevelt, dick cheney, warren harding >
- Business Insider 00:06October 1, 2019JJ Redick had a simple message for Zion Williamson about continuing his playoffs streak: 'Don't f--- this up for me'Ethan Miller/Getty Images J.J. Redick has made the NBA playoffs in all 13 years of his career and will try to keep the streak going with the New Orleans Pelicans this season.
Redick said after one of his first meetings with Pelicans rookie Zion Williamson, he gave the No. 1 pick a stern message: "Don't f--- this up for me."
Williamson confirmed Redick's message, saying he then asked Redick why he was pinning his hopes on a rookie.
Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories. NBA veteran sharpshooter J.J. Redick left the Philadelphia 76ers for the New Orleans Pelicans this offseason, joining one of the NBA's youngest, but most intriguing teams.
Redick, 35, has made the NBA all 13 years of his career and will try to help an upstart Pelicans team built around No. 1 pick Zion Williamson make the leap right away.See the rest of the story at Business InsiderNOW WATCH: Statistics tell us today's NBA teams would beat the 1996 BullsSee Also:LeBron James said Staples Center was the big winner of the wild NBA offseason and joked that his son Bronny could play thereKobe Bryant was ranked below Shaquille O'Neal, Tim Duncan, and Magic Johnson in a list of the top 50 NBA players of all timeAfter a wild, circuitous path to the NBA draft, LaMelo Ball is suddenly drawing rave reviews and hype as the No. 1 pick
< NBA, New Orleans Pelicans, Zion Williamson, J.J. Redick, >
- Observer 14:15September 27, 2019‘The Death of Dick Long’ Gets Laughs by Playing It Dead Serious'The Death of Dick Long' switches from rural drama to yokel comedy to police procedural so quickly you often wonder what kind of movie you're even watching, never mind what caused the death of the titular character.
< The death of dick long >
- Breitbart News 03:00September 26, 2019Sen. David Perdue OKs Silicon Valley Takeover of College Graduate Job MarketSen. David Perdue has dropped his opposition to Sen. Mike Lee's green card giveaway bill which would convert the employers' portion of the nation's immigration system into a machine for converting college graduates' salaries into Wall Street stock gains.
< Economy, Immigration, Politics, American jobs, David Perdue, Dick Durbin, FWD.us, green card giveaway, H-1B, India, Mark Zuckerberg, Mike Lee, visa workers >
- Breitbart News 06:19September 25, 2019Democrats Wrote to Ukraine in May, Demanding It Investigate TrumpDemocrats wrote to the Ukrainian government in May urging it to continue investigations into President Donald Trump's alleged collusion with Russia in the 2016 presidential campaign -- collusion later found not to exist.
< 2020 Election, Crime, Politics, Corruption, Dick Durbin, Hypocrisy, impeachment, Marc Thiessen, Nancy Pelosi, Patrick Leahy, Robert Menendez, Ukraine, Washington Post >
- Huffington Post UK 14:41September 17, 2019More Met Police Officers Will Carry Tasers, But 20% Don't Want Them, Chief Says
< uk news, Metropolitan Police Service, Crime, Police officer, Cressida Dick, Taser, stun guns, news, metropolitan-police-service, crime, police-officer, cressida-dick, taser, stun-guns, NEWS >
- The Guardian(UK) 12:55September 17, 2019Cressida Dick criticises PM over speech to police recruitsBoris Johnson’s speech was ‘problematic,’ says Met police commissioner The UK’s most senior police officer has criticised Boris Johnson for making a political speech in front of a backdrop of police recruits and expressed puzzlement at how it was allowed to take place.The Metropolitan police commissioner, Cressida Dick, was away earlier this month when the prime minister was accused of abusing the impartiality of the police by making partisan comments about Brexit and the next election at a police training college in Wakefield. Continue reading...
< Cressida Dick, UK news, Police, Boris Johnson, Politics >
- Breaking Defense 00:38September 13, 2019Note To Putin: Trump Unleashes $400M For Ukrainian MilitaryAfter weeks of uncertainty over the Trump administration’s policy toward Ukraine, senators and State Department officials say the spigot of aid has been turned back on.
< Congress, Land Warfare, Pentagon, europe, fms, foreign military sales, NATO, pentagon, putin, Russia, SAC-D, Sen. Dick Durbin, Sen. Rob Portman, Senate Appropriations Committee, State Department, Trump, Ukraine >
- Breaking Defense 00:05September 11, 2019Will Trump’s Wall Mean a Delay in Defense Funding?Senate Republicans and Democrats remain far apart on using DoD money for the border wall — so far that the government might not gets its 2020 budget on time,
< Air Warfare, Congress, Land Warfare, Naval Warfare, 2020 budget, f-35 joint strike fighter, Missile Defense, missile defense agency, Next Generation Interceptor, Sen. Dick Durbin, sen. patrick leahy, Senate Appropriations Committee, shipbuilding, Virginia class submarine >
- Guardian 16:24September 6, 2019The Personal History of David Copperfield review: Dev Patel shines in Iannucci's charmerThe satirist proves to be a perfect match for the ups and downs of the Dickens wordsmith in a buoyant and incredibly funny crowd-pleaserIn theory, it might not seem like the most blissful marriage: the sharp-tongued, often foul-mouthed, satirical comedy of Armando Iannucci with Charles Dickens’ most personal and optimistic novel David Copperfield. But within minutes of this thrillingly realised adaptation, any assumptions are quietly kited away, and a once unusual idea unfolds into something strangely fitting. Related: Oscar season heats up as J-Lo, Hanks and an imaginary Hitler head to Toronto Continue reading...
< Toronto film festival 2019, Toronto film festival, Dev Patel, Armando Iannucci, Charles Dickens, Comedy films, Tilda Swinton, Comedy, Books, Culture, Festivals, Film, Hugh Laurie >
- Breitbart News 02:44September 6, 2019National Democrats Dodge Questions on Whether NRA Is a 'Domestic Terrorist Organization'National Democrats in Congress and on the presidential campaign field have dodged questions of whether they agree with the San Francisco Board of Supervisors' decision to declare the National Rifle Association (NRA) a "domestic terrorist organization."
< 2nd Amendment, Politics, Bernie Sanders, Chuck Schumer, Dianne Feinstein, Dick Durbin, Elizabeth Warren, Joe Biden, Kamala Harris, Nancy Pelosi, National Rifle Association, San Francisco Board of Supervisors, Wayne LaPierre >
- Guardian 20:11August 27, 2019From Little Women to Dickinson: how modernised should adaptations be?Recent trailers for Greta Gerwig’s take on Louisa May Alcott and Hailee Steinfeld as a punk rock Emily Dickinson suggest a resurgence for 1860s literary womenThe girls of the 1860s appear to be having a moment. Two weeks ago, the trailer for Greta Gerwig’s adaptation of Little Women – featuring a stacked cast including Emma Watson, Saoirse Ronan, Meryl Streep, Laura Dern and Timothee Chalamet – dropped with much fanfare, depending on your cultural circle. The Lady Bird director’s take on Louisa May Alcott’s classic novel, first published in 1868, seems ready to breathe a modern, candid air into the story of four sisters confronting change and (often thwarted) ambition during the Civil War. In the trailer, Ronan, as Jo March (the young, tomboyish writer Alcott modeled after herself), punches Chalamet, as neighbor-boy Laurie, in the arm; the sisters wrestle; Jo and Laurie dance in the dark and then break into a full, joyous flail. Related: Greta Gerwig: why Little Women still generates a big buzz | Lucy Siegle Continue reading...
< Culture, Emily Dickinson, US television, Books, Television, Television & radio, Greta Gerwig, Film, Poetry, Apple TV >
- New York Times 19:41August 14, 2019As Hong Kong Struggles for Its Identity, Protesters Look to a Jailed 28-Year-OldA call to “Retake Hong Kong,” coined by the jailed activist Edward Leung, galvanized a generation and put it on a collision course with China’s Communist Party.
< Hong Kong, Demonstrations, Protests and Riots, Leung, Edward (1991- ), Political Prisoners, Communist Party of China, Propaganda, Police Brutality, Misconduct and Shootings, Olympic Games (2012), Hong Kong Indigenous, University of Hong Kong, Xinhua, Chu Hoi-dick, Eddie, Xi Jinping, Lee, Bruce, China >
- Breaking Defense 20:15August 9, 2019Army To Pick LTAMDS Winner By September“This is a radar they’re going to buy for, I don’t know, 30 years? So you want to make sure you’ve got new technology that can meet the threats of the future.”
< Air Warfare, Land Warfare, acquisition, Air and Missile Defense Cross Functional Team, anti-aircraft, army, cruise missile defense, gallium nitride (GaN), Gen. James Dickinson, Iron Dome, lockheed martin, Lower Tier Air and Missile Defense Sensor, LTAMDS, Missile Defense, Northrop Grumman, Patriot, Raytheon, SMDC, Space and Missile Defense Command >
- Breaking Defense 15:00August 7, 2019Army Seeks Small Satellites To Support Ground TroopsSuch smallsat payloads, hosted on commercial satellites, are an important piece of the Army’s evolving concept of Multi-Domain Operations, which seeks to combine efforts on land, the sea, air, space, and cyberspace to defeat sophisticated adversaries such as Russia and China.
< Land Warfare, space, army, Gen. James Dickinson, multi-domain operations, Multi-Domain Task Force, satellites, small satellites, Space and Missile Defense Symposium 2019, Space Development Agency >
- Breitbart News 23:09August 2, 2019Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Predicts Democrats Will Win Texas in 2020Rep. Alexandria Ocasio Cortez (D-NY) said in a tweet Friday that Democrats will work hard and win Texas over in 2020.
< 2020 Election, Politics, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Beto O'Rourke, Chris Hayes, Elections, James Dickey, Texas >
- New York Times 12:09July 24, 2019Hong Kong Lawmaker’s Video Is Seen as ‘Death Threat’ to Fellow LegislatorThe comments by Junius Ho, widely perceived as threatening toward a pro-democracy legislator, were an escalation of sharp words amid a violent period in Hong Kong.
< Chu Hoi-dick, Eddie, Hong Kong, Demonstrations, Protests and Riots, China, Yuen Long (Hong Kong), Politics and Government >
- Huffington Post UK 21:07July 16, 2019Sacha Baron Cohen Thanks Dick Cheney And Sarah Palin After Who Is America? Emmys Nominations
< uktv, uk celebrity, emmys, Sacha Baron Cohen, Dick Cheney, Sarah Palin, celebrity, sacha-baron-cohen, dick-cheney, sarah-palin, ENTERTAINMENT, entertainment >
- Huffington Post UK 15:37July 7, 2019Wreaths Laid On 14th Anniversary Of 7/7 London Bombings
< sadiq khan, Metropolitan Police Service, mayor of london, British Transport Police, Cressida Dick, Act Of Terror, City of London Police, 7 July 2005 London bombings, sadiq-khan, metropolitan-police-service, mayor-of-london, british-transport-police, cressida-dick, act-of-terror, city-of-london-police, 7-july-2005-london-bombings, NEWS, news >
- Guardian 15:40June 26, 2019Top 10 books about the River ThamesFrom bucolic source to marshy lower reaches, London’s mighty river has inspired great writingThe Thames is 215 miles from source to sea, and for centuries writers of all kinds have been inspired by it, returning to its banks again and again to explore what it can tell us about memory, history and landscape. It’s one of the most written-about parts of Britain – there’s something irresistible about the river that makes it a perfect background to all kinds of storytelling.My introduction to this wealth of river writing began at the end: I grew up sailing on the Thames estuary – the muddy, sometimes smelly, coastal area downstream from London where the famous river finally joins the North Sea. My parents arrived here after sailing thousands of miles from South Africa in a boat they had built themselves. By the time I was born a few years later, the estuary had ceased to be just a point of entry for them. It was home. Continue reading...
< Books, Culture, Autobiography and memoir, Science and nature books, Fiction, Nicola Barker, Kenneth Grahame, Joseph Conrad, Peter Ackroyd, Sylvia Townsend Warner, Charles Dickens >
- Guardian 15:45June 25, 2019Oliver Twiss and Martin Guzzlewit – the fan fiction that ripped off DickensPress baron Edward Lloyd caused outrage with his cheap imitations of Dickens’ great novels – and paved the way for his own hugely popular ‘penny dreadfuls’They are both orphans who leave the poorhouse to fall in with a criminal gang, but while Charles Dickens’ Oliver Twist has stood the test of time, Oliver Twiss, a cheap copy that was rushed out to cash in on Dickens’ popularity and which the novelist despised, has largely been forgotten.Oliver Twiss was one of many plagiarisms of Dickens published by the press baron Edward Lloyd, with Barnaby Budge, Martin Guzzlewit, The Penny Pickwick and Nickelas Nickelbery also hitting shelves in the mid-19th century. Dickens loathed the rip-offs, and went to court to have them banned. The judge refused, ruling: “No person who had ever seen the original could imagine the other to be anything else than a counterfeit, bearing no resemblance to the thing it was intended to imitate.” Continue reading...
< Publishing, Fiction, Charles Dickens, Books, Culture >
- Huffington Post UK 13:56June 25, 2019Boris Johnson Neighbours' Decision To Call Police Is Defended By Cressida Dick
< uk news, Society and Culture, Crime and Justice, boris johnson, Police officer, Cressida Dick, Nick Ferrari, news, society-and-culture, crime-and-justice, boris-johnson, police-officer, cressida-dick, nick-ferrari, NEWS >
- Observer 22:46June 20, 2019Why SCHEELS Is the Best Sporting Goods Retailer You’ve Never Heard OfSCHEELS is an entertainment and technology company disguised as a retailer.
< Academy Sports, Bass Pro Shops, berkshire hathaway, Costco, Dick's Sporting Goods, Duluth Trading Company, Gun Sales, outdoor leisure, Retail, SCHEELS, sporting goods, Target, virtual reality, Walmart >
- Breitbart News 00:33June 12, 2019Democrats Block Emergency Funding for Border CrisisDemocratic Senator Pat Leahy bluntly told GOP Senators that Democrats are blocking $4.5 billion needed to manage the Central American migration emergency until Republicans submit to their pro-migration demands.
< Economy, Immigration, Politics, catch and release, Central America, Dick Durbin, Donald Trump, Gang of Eight bill, immigrant, Kevin McAleenan, Migrant, migration, Mitch McConnell, Pat Leahy, Remain in Mexico, unaccompanied alien children >
- Guardian 13:30May 29, 2019Top 10 teenage friendships in fiction |From Great Expectations’s Pip and Estella to My Brilliant Friend’s Elena and Lina, these volatile years have inspired many brilliant novelsNo wonder adolescent years are such fertile ground for novelists. It is one of those times when change is accelerated as we are pushed into unavoidable, exciting, frightening adulthood. Sometimes willing, sometimes not, we become aware of the controlled safety of childhood slowly retreating into the shadowy past. I always think of A Midsummer Night’s Dream as the essence of adolescence, where danger and excitement hang in the air but can evaporate in a puff of wind.Things can happen in that cliff-edge time. “There’s something dangerous about the boredom of teenage girls.” So says a character in Megan Abbott’s thriller Dare Me. It’s something I wanted to capture in my new novel Crushed. The three girls in the novel are from very different backgrounds but the various alchemies of home life, coupled with their emotional trajectories, collide and explode and what could have become simply a rueful memory of youthful difficulties turns abruptly toxic and marks them forever. Continue reading...
< Fiction, Books, Culture, Kazuo Ishiguro, JD Salinger, Charles Dickens, Edna O'Brien, Elena Ferrante, Emma Cline >
- Breitbart News 04:46May 23, 2019Durbin: There's a 'Strong' Case Trump Obstructed JusticeDuring an interview broadcast on Wednesday’s broadcast of CNN’s “Cuomo Primetime,” Senate Minority Whip Dick Durbin (D-IL) said there is an “obviously strong” obstruction of justice case against President Trump. Host Chris Cuomo asked Durbin where he stands on impeachment. Durbin
< Clips, Dick Durbin, Donald Trump, impeachment >