- The Guardian(UK) 01:00July 15, 2020Livestock farming and fossil fuels could drive 4C global heat riseHuman activity behind half atmosphere’s load of methane, a gas 28 times more powerful than CO2 at trapping heatAnimal farming and fossil fuels have driven global emissions of the potent greenhouse gas methane to the highest level on record, putting the world on track for dangerously increased heat levels of 3C to 4C.Since 2000 discharges of the odourless, colourless gas have risen by more than 50m tonnes a year, equivalent to 350m cars or double the total emissions of Germany or France, according to the latest Methane Budget study by a global team of scientists. Continue reading...
< Climate change, Greenhouse gas emissions, Fossil fuels, Gas, Agriculture, Meat industry, Fracking, Landfill, Food, Environment, Science, World news >
- Breitbart News 00:08July 15, 2020Joe Biden Unveils $2 Trillion Plan to Address ‘Climate Justice’Joe Biden is proposing, if elected in November, to spend upwards of two trillion dollars to remake America's energy infrastructure so it betters addresses "environmental and climate justice."
< 2020 Election, Environment, Politics, 2020 Presidential Race, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Chuck Schumer, Climate Change, Donald Trump, Green New Deal, Joe Biden, Mike Bloomberg, Steve Scalise >
- FoxNews 00:03July 15, 2020Biden unveils $2 trillion plan to boost clean energy, rebuild infrastructureDemocratic presidential nominee Joe Biden on Tuesday unveiled $2 trillion plan to boost clean energy, rebuild infrastructure.
< article, Fox News, Paul Steinhauser, Madeleine Rivera, fnc, fnc/politics, fox-news/politics/elections, fox-news/politics/2020-presidential-election, fox-news/us/environment/climate-change, fox-news/health/infectious-disease/coronavirus, fox-news/politics, fox-news/person/joe-biden, fox-news/politics/elections/campaigning/trump-2020-campaign, fox-news/person/donald-trump, fox-news/us/us-regions/northeast/delaware, fox-news/person/bernie-sanders, fox-news/person/alexandria-ocasio-cortez >
- Breitbart News 00:00July 15, 2020Joe Biden Proposes New DOJ Environmental Justice Division to Fight PollutionFormer Vice President Joe Biden is planning to create a new division within the Department of Justice (DOJ) to combat pollution and advance "environmental and climate justice."
< 2020 Election, Environment, Politics, 2020 Presidential Race, Bernie Sanders, Climate Change, Department of Justice, Joe Biden, Mike Bloomberg >
- Breitbart News 21:33July 14, 2020Joe Biden Promises 'Second Great Railroad Revolution'Former Vice President Joe Biden promised a "second great railroad revolution" as part of his climate change pitch on Tuesday in Wilmington, Delaware.
< 2020 Election, Economy, Environment, Amtrak, Climate Change, Gavin Newsom, Green New Deal, high-speed-rail, Jerry Brown, Joe Biden, railroads, stimulus >
- Breitbart News 20:14July 14, 2020Joe Biden's Climate Plan: AOC's 'Green New Deal' Plus 5 YearsFormer Vice President Joe Biden will introduce a plan Tuesday to tackle climate change that borrows the central element of the Green New Deal of Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) -- and simply adds an extra five years to achieve it.
< 2020 Election, Economy, Environment, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, AOC, Barack Obama, clean coal, Climate Change, fossil fuels, Green New Deal, Jay Inslee, Joe Biden, Oil >
- Business Insider 18:50July 14, 2020Oatly just got a $2 billion valuation and $200 million investment from Blackstone, Oprah, and others. Here's why oat milk is the one plant-based milk to rule them all.Paul Zinken/Picture Alliance via Getty Images Swedish oat milk company Oatly just received a $2 billion valuation and an investment from Blackstone Group and investors including Oprah Winfrey, Natalie Portman, and Howard Schultz.
Recent events prove that the rise of oat milk is unstoppable, and that other milks should be prepared to take a back seat.
Grocery demand for oat milk has skyrocketed since the pandemic began in comparison with demand for dairy overall.
It's also catching on commercially, with big names like Starbucks, Dunkin', Trader Joe's, and Chobani adding oat milk to their offerings.
Oat milk has a rich, neutral taste and dairy-like consistency that make it a perfect dairy milk substitute, and it's also one of the most environmentally friendly options out there — setting it up for massive growth in the future.
Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories. The rise of oat milk is inevitable, and the fall of dairy milk has already begun.
A cohort of investors led Blackstone Group and including Oprah Winfrey, Natalie Portman, and Howard Schultz just bought a $200 million stake in Oatly, the Swedish oat milk company that's been taking the world by storm. Oatly's latest funding round scored a valuation of $2 billion.See the rest of the story at Business InsiderNOW WATCH: Why thoroughbred horse semen is the world's most expensive liquidSee Also:Popeyes' latest free sandwich combo codes show it's desperate to keep customers ordering delivery — and maintain the chicken sandwich crazeWorkers speak out against Black Lives Matter face mask bans, as companies like Starbucks, Taco Bell, and Whole Foods grapple with viral backlashHow much should you tip during the pandemic? We asked 3 experts.SEE ALSO: Meet Flippy, White Castle's new robot chef that can fry food and flip burgers
< Coffee, Latte, Milk, Dairy, dairy industry, oat milk, Oatly, almond milk, Soy Milk, rice milk, Agriculture, Environment, Environmental Impact, plant-based, Opinion, Food, Livestock, Farming, Fast Food, Grocery, Blackstone Group, Oprah, Howard Schultz, Starbucks, >
- The Guardian(UK) 18:00July 14, 2020Car tyres are major source of ocean microplastics – studyWind-borne microplastics are a bigger source of ocean pollution than rivers, say scientistsMore than 200,000 tonnes of tiny plastic particles are blown from roads into the oceans every year, according to research.The study suggests wind-borne microplastics are a bigger source of ocean pollution than rivers, the route that has attracted most attention to date. The analysis focused on the tiny particles produced by tyres and brake pads as they wear down. Continue reading...
< Plastics, Oceans, Science, Environment, World news >
- Observer 18:39July 13, 2020The Notre Dame Spire Will Be Reconstructed, But At What Cost to the Environment?The spire that collapsed last year was made of wood and coated in lead, and France’s chief architect thinks this should be recreated.
< American Geophysical Union, Environment, French government, lead, Notre Dame Cathedral, Paris, Spire, Wood >
- The Guardian 14:00July 13, 2020‘Compelling’ evidence air pollution worsens coronavirus – studyExclusive: best analysis to date indicates significant increases in infections, hospital admissions and deathsCoronavirus – latest updatesSee all our coronavirus coverageThere is “compelling” evidence that air pollution significantly increases coronavirus infections, hospital admissions and deaths, according to the most detailed and comprehensive analysis to date.The research indicates that a small, single-unit increase in people’s long-term exposure to pollution particles raises infections and admissions by about 10% and deaths by 15%. The study took into account more than 20 other factors, including average population density, age, household size, occupation and obesity. Continue reading...
< Coronavirus outbreak, Air pollution, Environment, Science, UK news, World news, Infectious diseases >
- Guardian 08:00July 13, 2020Eight go mad in Arizona: how a lockdown experiment went horribly wrongIn the 1990s, a troupe of hippies spent two years sealed inside a dome called Biosphere 2. They ended up starving and gasping for breath. As a new documentary Spaceship Earth tells their story, we meet the ‘biospherians’It sounds like a sci-fi movie, or the weirdest series of Big Brother ever. Eight volunteers wearing snazzy red jumpsuits seal themselves into a hi-tech glasshouse that’s meant to perfectly replicate Earth’s ecosystems. They end up starving, gasping for air and at each other’s throats – while the world’s media looks on.But the Biosphere 2 experiment really did happen. Running from 1991 to 1993, it is remembered as a failure, if it is remembered at all – a hubristic, pseudo-scientific experiment that was never going to accomplish its mission. However, as the new documentary Spaceship Earth shows, the escapade is a cautionary tale, now that the outside world – Biosphere 1, if you prefer – is itself coming to resemble an apocalyptic sci-fi world. Looking back, it’s amazing that Biosphere 2 even happened at all, not least because the people behind it started out as a hippy theatre group. Continue reading...
< Film, Exploration, Environment, Human biology, Space, Culture, Social history, Plants, Society, Science, Architecture, Art and design, Arizona, Documentary films, US news, World news >
- Mashable 14:00July 12, 2020Yes, alternative meat can help stop climate change. Here's why.We live in a rapidly-warming world that is saturated in meat. Even in the wake of a pandemic that shuttered processing plants, raised prices, and boosted sales of alternative meat, the $1.7 trillion global animal meat industry didn't go anywhere. Beef is still a staple at supermarkets, restaurants and family tables across the U.S. (Pork remains the most popular meat in most of Europe and Asia).
That's a shame because cutting down on meat consumption in general — and beef in particular — is one of the best things we can do as individuals for the environment. Livestock is the cause of one-fifth of all greenhouse gas emissions, according to a landmark 2014 U.S. land use study. And not all livestock was created equal. Each cow needs 28 times more land and 11 times more water than the average agricultural animal; each cow leads to 5 times the emissions. Read more...More about Social Good, Impossible Burger, Beyond Meat, Science, and Climate Environment
< Social Good, Impossible Burger, Beyond Meat, Science, Climate Environment >
- The Guardian(UK) 09:17July 12, 2020Making a beeline: wildflower paths across UK could save speciesConservation charity aims to help restore 150,000 hectares of bee-friendly corridors to save the insects from extinctionAndrew Whitehouse has been on the cliffs at Prawle Point, south Devon, searching on his hands and knees for a rare bee. He saw only one last year, and so far this summer there has been no sign of the six-banded nomad bee with its striking yellow markings.Whitehouse fears it is on the brink of extinction because, as a parasitic bee, it depends on a host – the long-horned bee – in whose nest it lays its eggs, and the host is now also scarce. Continue reading...
< Bees, Environment, Agriculture, Insects, Wildlife, UK news >
- Breitbart News 18:05July 11, 2020Dem Rep. McEachin: Racial and Environmental Justice 'Intertwined'During Friday’s Democratic Weekly Address, Rep. Donald McEachin (D-VA) stated that Americans recognize more has to be done to deal with “two critical and intertwined issues in our nation: the unfinished work of racial justice and the need for environmental
< Clips, Environment, Politics, Donald McEachin, environmental justice, racial justice >
- The Guardian 18:42July 10, 2020Iran denies latest blast reports and accuses west of misinformationTehran says incident in early hours in garrison town of Gamdareh was a power outageIran has denied reports that fresh mysterious explosions rocked two towns close to Tehran, accusing the west of waging psychological warfare by spreading messages on social media.Reports suggested the blasts had occurred in the early hours of Friday in Gamdareh, a residential town that houses a number of military garrisons, including bases of the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC), and in Shahr-e Qods. Continue reading...
< Iran, Iran's nuclear programme, Nuclear power, Middle East and North Africa, World news, Environment, Energy, Israel >
- The Guardian(UK) 14:30July 10, 2020UK air pollution still down despite return to normal traffic – studyExclusive: reduced congestion most likely reason for lower nitrogen dioxide, scientists say Coronavirus – latest updatesSee all our coronavirus coverageAir pollution has remained at lower levels in UK towns and cities despite a return to near-normal traffic levels after the easing of coronavirus restrictions, according to research.Analysis of data from more than 100 urban roadside locations shows nitrogen dioxide pollution levels were 30% below normal at the end of June, despite HGV traffic being back at 95% of normal levels, vans at 90% and cars at 75%. Continue reading...
< Air pollution, Coronavirus outbreak, Road transport, UK news, Environment, Climate change, Health, Society >
- The Guardian(UK) 09:00July 10, 2020Parts of England could run out of water within 20 years, warn MPsWater firms not addressing problem of leaks, causing loss of 3bn litres a day, report finds There is a serious risk that parts of England will run out of water within 20 years, MPs have warned.The public accounts committee said the bodies responsible for water in the UK had “taken their eye off the ball” and the scale of leakage – more than 3bn litres a day – was “wholly unacceptable”. Continue reading...
< Water, Utilities, Environment, Rivers, Pollution, Environment Agency, Climate change, UK news >
- Breitbart News 22:50July 9, 2020Democrats Vow 'Environmental Justice Fund' in Biden-Sanders 'Unity' PlatformDemocrats are promising the creation of an "environmental justice fund" as part of the proposals outlined by the radical Biden-Sanders "unity" platform released this week.
< Environment, Politics, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Bernie Sanders, environmental justice, Joe Biden >
- Breitbart News 19:32July 9, 2020Ocasio-Cortez: Collaboration with Sanders 'Substantively Improved Biden's Positions' on ClimateDemocrat presidential nominee Joe Biden and Sen. Bernie Sanders have released recommendations for the party platform crafted by task forces.
< 2020 Election, Environment, Politics, 2020 Presidential Race, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Bernie Sanders, Climate Change, DNC, Joe Biden, New Green Deal, RNC >
- Breitbart News 18:04July 9, 2020Biden-Sanders 'Unity' Platform Pledges to Close ANWR Again, Reversing TrumpFormer Vice President Joe Biden released a set of policy recommendations on Wednesday that included a proposal to close the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR) to oil and gas exploration and development.
< Economy, Environment, Politics, Alaska, ANWR, Arctic National Wildlife Refuge., Bernie Sanders, Climate Change, Joe Biden >
- FoxNews 17:46July 9, 2020Greenpeace activists hang banner on Notre Dame Cathedral craneGreenpeace activists hung banners from a huge construction crane atop Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris on Thursday, accusing France and President Emmanuel Macron of not doing enough to fight climate change.
< article, Associated Press, fnc, fnc/world, fox-news/world/world-regions/france, fox-news/world/disasters/fires, fox-news/person/emmanuel-macron, fox-news/us/environment/climate-change >
- The Guardian(UK) 12:50July 9, 2020CO2 in Earth's atmosphere nearing levels of 15m years agoLast time CO2 was at similar level temperatures were 3C to 4C hotter and sea levels were 20 metres higherThe amount of carbon dioxide in the Earth’s atmosphere is approaching a level not seen in 15m years and perhaps never previously experienced by a hominoid, according to the authors of a study.At pre-lockdown rates of increase, within five years atmospheric CO2 will pass 427 parts per million, which was the probasble peak of the mid-Pliocene warming period 3.3m years ago, when temperatures were 3C to 4C hotter and sea levels were 20 metres higher than today. Continue reading...
< Greenhouse gas emissions, Climate change, UK news, Environment >
- The Guardian(UK) 03:46July 9, 2020Global temperatures likely to hit at least 1C warming for next five yearsExperts say new climate data shows how close world already is to breaching 1.5C Paris agreement pledgeThere is a one-in-five chance annual global temperatures will be at least 1.5C warmer than in pre-industrial times in the next five years, experts have said.Annual global temperatures are likely to be at least 1C above the levels they were before the industrial era in each year between 2020 and 2024, a long-range forecast by experts led by the UK Met Office shows. Continue reading...
< Climate change, Environment, Paris climate agreement, Greenhouse gas emissions, Arctic, Science, World news >
- The Guardian(UK) 18:31July 8, 2020Spreading rock dust on fields could remove vast amounts of CO2 from airIt may be best near-term way to remove CO2, say scientists, but cutting fossil fuel use remains criticalSpreading rock dust on farmland could suck billions of tonnes of carbon dioxide from the air every year, according to the first detailed global analysis of the technique.The chemical reactions that degrade the rock particles lock the greenhouse gas into carbonates within months, and some scientists say this approach may be the best near-term way of removing CO2 from the atmosphere. Continue reading...
< Greenhouse gas emissions, Carbon capture and storage (CCS), Climate change, Farming, Environment, World news >
- Huffington Post UK 09:03July 8, 2020How The Coronavirus Pandemic Is Affecting Councils' Plans To Tackle The Climate Emergency
< uk news, Politics and Government, Nature and Environment, Greenhouse gas, Liverpool City Council, Climate variability and change, corinavirus, news, politics-and-government, nature-and-environment, greenhouse-gas, liverpool-city-council, climate-variability-and-change, NEWS, Politics, politics >
- The Guardian(UK) 09:00July 8, 2020Halve UK pesticide use to save insects, say conservationistsWildlife Trusts report also calls for expansion of projects such as flower-rich road verges and butterfly reintroductionsThe use of pesticides in the UK must be at least halved to reverse steep losses in insect abundance and boost the natural world that depends on them, according to a report.It warns that insects are the “canaries in the coal mine” of the natural world and that everyone, including the government, local authorities, community groups and individuals, needs to become insect champions. Continue reading...
< Insects, Pesticides, Bees, Conservation, UK news, Environment, Wildlife, Farming >
- Breitbart News 04:42July 8, 2020Joe Biden Enlists Clinton/Obama Loyalist, Tom Steyer to Advise on Climate ChangeJoe Biden has recruited controversial environmental activist Carol Browner and billionaire Tom Steyer as campaign advisers on climate change.
< 2020 Election, Environment, Politics, 2020 Presidential Race, Barack Obama, Bill Clinton, Clean Air Act, Climate Change, Donald Trump, EPA, fossil fuels, Joe Biden, junk science, Paris Climate Accord >
- The Guardian 13:00July 7, 2020Over 5,600 fossil fuel companies have taken at least $3bn in US Covid-19 aidBusinesses include oil and gas drillers and coal mine operators, an analysis by Documented and the Guardian findsMore than 5,600 companies in the fossil fuel industry have taken a minimum of $3bn in coronavirus aid from the US federal government, according to an analysis by Documented and the Guardian of newly released data.The businesses include oil and gas drillers and coal mine operators, as well as refiners, pipeline companies and firms that provide services to the industry. Continue reading...
< Fossil fuels, Coronavirus outbreak, Business, US news, Environment, Energy >
- The Guardian(UK) 09:00July 7, 2020Treasury's 'green recovery' not enough, say campaignersProposed £3bn environmental funding for UK contrasts with Germany’s £36bn investmentEnvironmental groups have reacted with disappointment to details of the government’s Covid-19 economic rescue package released by the Treasury.On Monday night the government announced some details of the announcement expected on Wednesday, including a £1bn energy efficiency upgrade for public buildings and insulation for some social tenants, who could save up to £200 a year on their energy bills as a result. A Green Jobs Challenge fund will provide £40m for green charities working on improving England’s landscapes, with the money to be spent on projects such as tree-planting and cleaning up rivers. A further £50m will go to innovative approaches to reducing greenhouse gas emissions from social housing. Continue reading...
< Green economy, UK news, Coronavirus outbreak, Environment, Economics, Climate change, Charities, Business, Voluntary sector, Science, Society >
- FoxNews 06:57July 7, 2020EPA approves use of Lysol surface disinfectant products against COVID-19The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) announced Monday that it has approved the first two surface disinfectant products, both made by Lysol, against the novel coronavirus.
< article, Fox News, David Aaro, fnc, fnc/health, fox-news/health/infectious-disease/coronavirus, fox-news/health, fox-news/us/environment, fox-news/us >
- FoxNews 04:13July 7, 2020'Plume' spreads in Baltimore's Inner Harbor; water main break to blameA water main break was blamed for a reddish "plume" spreading in Baltimore's Inner Harbor.
< article, Fox News, Tiffany Watson, Fox 45, fnc, fnc/us, fox-news/us/us-regions/northeast/maryland, fox-news/us/environment/water, fox-news/science/planet-earth/water, fox-news/us/disasters/environmental >
- The Guardian(UK) 00:30July 7, 2020Chancellor set to announce £3bn green investment packageCampaigners say Rishi Sunak’s plan to decarbonise public buildings does not go far enough Rishi Sunak is to announce a £3bn package of green investment to decarbonise public buildings and cut emissions from Britain’s poorly insulated homes as part of the government’s Covid-19 economic recovery plan.The chancellor will seek to use Wednesday’s summer statement on the economy to fend off criticism that his proposals lack ambition by insisting that he can “kick start” an environment-friendly revival through the creation of thousands of green jobs in the construction industry. Continue reading...
< Economic policy, Rishi Sunak, Environment, UK news, Coronavirus outbreak, Politics, Infrastructure, Climate change, Greenhouse gas emissions >
- The Guardian 19:00July 6, 2020Coronavirus: world treating symptoms, not cause of pandemics, says UNOngoing destruction of nature will result in stream of animal diseases jumping to humans, says report Coronavirus – latest updatesSee all our coronavirus coverageThe world is treating the health and economic symptoms of the coronavirus pandemic but not the environmental cause, according to the authors of a UN report. As a result, a steady stream of diseases can be expected to jump from animals to humans in coming years, they say.The number of such “zoonotic” epidemics is rising, from Ebola to Sars to West Nile virus and Rift Valley fever, with the root cause being the destruction of nature by humans and the growing demand for meat, the report says. Continue reading...
< Coronavirus outbreak, Environment, Wildlife, Infectious diseases, Farming, Medical research, Science, World news, United Nations, Health, Sars, Meat industry, Farm animals >
- The Guardian 09:00July 6, 2020Britain beyond lockdown: what we learned from two weeks on the roadPeople do not want to go back to the way things were, but the good intentions could fade without the right leadershipBritain is crying out for a better normal. Communities across the country are emerging from lockdown with a new sense of what is possible and what is necessary – and the answers to both go a lot further than Westminster’s efforts to drive the country back to business as usual.That was the overriding impression from a two-week reporting trip around Britain, asking people in different regions how they view recovery and whether there is an appetite for more fundamental change. Continue reading...
< Coronavirus outbreak, Environment, Economic recovery, Politics, UK news >
- The Guardian(UK) 02:57July 6, 2020Algae turns Italian Alps pink, prompting concerns over meltingPink snow observed on parts of the Presena glacier believed to be caused by plant that makes the ice darker, causing it to melt fasterScientists in Italy are investigating the mysterious appearance of pink glacial ice in the Alps, caused by algae that accelerate the effects of climate change.There is debate about where the algae come from, but Biagio Di Mauro of Italy’s National Research Council said the pink snow observed on parts of the Presena glacier is likely caused by the same plant found in Greenland. Continue reading...
< Italy, Environment, Europe, World news, Climate change >
- New York Times 22:12July 5, 2020An Ancient Valley Lost to ‘Progress’In his push for economic development, Turkey’s president has flooded the archaeological gem of Hasankeyf and displaced thousands of families.
< Politics and Government, Water, Hydroelectric Power, Rivers, Levees and Dams, Demonstrations, Protests and Riots, Archaeology and Anthropology, Environment, Reservoirs, Kurds, Erdogan, Recep Tayyip, Hasankeyf (Turkey) >
- The Guardian(UK) 19:18July 4, 2020'UK countryside at risk from Boris Johnson’s planning revolution'The prime minister’s ‘build, build, build’ strategy could harm habitats and reduce wildlife protection, critics warnThe British countryside and its wildlife are at serious risk because of Boris Johnson’s pledge to revolutionise the planning system, leading green groups warn today.In a joint letter to theObserver, the organisations, which include the National Trust, the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB) and the Wildlife Trusts, say wide-scale deregulation leading to lower environmental standards and less protection would be a betrayal of promises by Johnson and Michael Gove to deliver a “green Brexit”. Continue reading...
< Environment, Planning policy, UK news, Politics, Boris Johnson, The National Trust, RSPB, Wildlife >
- FoxNews 00:02July 4, 2020Biden campaign announces climate council to help mobilize voters, members include ex-rival SteyerPresumptive Democratic nominee Joe Biden’s campaign on Friday announced the formation of a Climate Engagement Advisory Council, which is designed to inform the campaign how to mobilize climate-focused voters to back Biden in November.
< article, Fox News, Adam Shaw, fnc, fnc/politics, fox-news/person/joe-biden, fox-news/politics/2020-presidential-election, fox-news/us/environment/climate-change >
- The Guardian(UK) 09:00July 3, 2020UK risks missing net zero target in Covid-19 recovery, Labour warnsChancellor urged to prioritise plans to realign spending with cuts to carbon emissions Coronavirus – latest updatesSee all our coronavirus coverageThe chancellor of the exchequer must lay out urgent plans to realign government spending with the target to cut carbon emissions to net zero, or risk missing the target and fuelling high carbon emissions for years to come, Labour has urged.The warning comes as the Treasury prepares key policy announcements on the UK’s recovery from the coronavirus recession, which Rishi Sunak is expected to set out in his spending review next week. Continue reading...
< Climate change, Coronavirus outbreak, Rishi Sunak, Greenhouse gas emissions, Environment, Climate change >
- Breitbart News 05:39July 3, 2020National Parks Are Latest Target of Systemic Racism Claim in AmericaABC reported on a National Park Service study that said national parks have a racist past and need to increase appeal to minorities.
< Environment, Politics, Social Justice, Camping, diversity, Donald Trump, National Park Service, racism, Sierra Club >
- The Guardian 20:30July 2, 2020Ocean swimming has been my greatest discovery of the coronavirus pandemic | Alison RourkeGetting into the ocean every morning has been a reminder of what a tiny speck I am on this planetI’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a little freaked out the first time I saw a shark on my swim out of Sydney’s Manly Beach. Time almost stood still as the sleek figure weaved below me. Disbelieving, I thought: “That looks like a shark.” No one around me in the water even blinked an eye, and the baby grey nurse drifted off into the deep blue.I have been a swimmer all of my life, but the idea of a shark encounter had pretty much kept me out of anything beyond the surf. That was until the Covid-19 lockdown. I had been covering the pandemic for the Guardian since the virus first emerged in China in January. At times I had found myself overwhelmed by the story’s immensity and the grim reality of how it had taken over our lives. Continue reading...
< Swimming, Oceans, Coronavirus outbreak, Fish, Environment, Fitness, Sydney, Australia news, Marine life >
- The Guardian(UK) 17:00July 2, 2020Revealed: raw sewage poured into Olympic Park wildlife havenThames Water overflow pipe pumped waste for 1,000 hours into London wetlands last yearExclusive: water firms discharged raw sewage into England’s rivers 200,000 times in 2019Raw sewage was discharged for more than 1,000 hours from a Thames Water overflow pipe into an environmental wetland at the Olympic Park last year, the Guardian can reveal.The combined sewer overflow (CSO) at Mulberry Court pumped untreated waste 91 times into the waterway that feeds into the River Lea. To April this year, the same CSO has so far discharged for 34 hours in 20 incidents. Continue reading...
< Environment, Wildlife, Cities, London, Green space, Pollution, UK news, Utilities, Business >
- The Guardian 17:00July 1, 2020Exclusive: water firms dumped raw sewage into England's rivers 200,000 times in 2019Untreated effluent flowed into waterways for more than 1.5m hours, data showsOne man’s fight to get bathing water status for a stretch of river near BathWater companies in England discharged raw sewage into rivers on more than 200,000 occasions last year, according to data obtained by the Guardian.The analysis reveals untreated human waste was released into streams and rivers for more than 1.5m hours in 2019. Continue reading...
< Rivers, Environment Agency, Environment, UK news, Pollution, Water >
- The Guardian 16:01July 1, 2020Air pollution likely to make coronavirus worse, say UK expertsGovernment advisers call for urgent investigation of link between dirty air and pandemicCoronavirus – latest updatesSee all our coronavirus coverageAir pollution is likely to be increasing the number and severity of Covid-19 infections, according to the UK government’s expert advisers.In a report published on Wednesday, the experts said further investigation of the link between dirty air and the coronavirus pandemic was “urgently required” and may be relevant to how the pandemic is managed. Continue reading...
< Air pollution, Coronavirus outbreak, Health policy, Health, Public services policy, Environment, Politics, Science, Society, UK news >
- The Guardian 12:00July 1, 2020Revealed: Covid-19 outbreaks at meat-processing plants are being kept quietTesting has found positive cases at North Carolina facilities, but officials refuse to release the informationA chicken processing facility in western North Carolina reportedly underwent widespread testing for Covid-19 in early June.Workers at the plant were scared. Several employees had already tested positive and the company, Case Farms – which has been repeatedly condemned for animal treatment and workers’ rights violations – was not providing proper protective equipment. Continue reading...
< Environment, US news, North Carolina, Meat industry >
- The Guardian(UK) 18:00June 30, 2020Likelihood of 40C temperatures in UK is ‘rapidly accelerating’Such deadly heat may become regular occurrence later this century, scientists findThe likelihood of the UK experiencing deadly 40C temperatures for the first time is “rapidly accelerating” due to the climate crisis, scientists have found.The research shows that such searing heat could become a regular occurrence by the end of the century unless carbon emissions are cut to zero. Global heating has already made UK heatwaves 30 times more likely and extreme temperatures led to 3,400 early deaths from 2016-19. Continue reading...
< Climate change, Greenhouse gas emissions, Extreme weather, Environment, World news, UK news >
- Huffington Post UK 17:08June 30, 2020Koalas May Go Extinct In The Wild By 2050 In Australia’s New South Wales
< Environment, Nature and Environment, Australia, koala, Endangered Species, environment, nature-and-environment, australia, endangered-species, NEWS, news >
- Huffington Post UK 12:43June 30, 2020You Can Now Buy Wine In A Recycled Paper Bottle
< Environment, plastic, Green Living, Wine, environment, green-living, wine, LIFE, lifestyle >
- Breitbart News 11:12June 30, 2020Delingpole: Forbes Cancels Environmentalist Who Wrote 'I Apologize for the Climate Scare'"On Behalf of Environmentalists, I Apologise for the Climate Scare," said an article published in Forbes magazine by Mike Shellenberger.
< Environment, London / Europe, Politics, Apocalypse Never, Climate Change, Global Warming, Green, Mike Shellenberger, Streisand Effect >
- The Guardian 13:41June 29, 2020US to join summit on global green recovery from Covid-19 crisisExclusive: IEA chief warns rebound in emissions would be missed economic opportunityThe US is to join with other major powers including China, India and the EU in formulating plans for a global green recovery from the coronavirus crisis, in the only major international summit on the climate emergency this year.The idea of a green recovery to prevent a dangerous rebound in greenhouse gas emissions to above pre-Covid-19 levels has been gathering steam, but few governments have yet committed to plans. Continue reading...
< Green economy, Coronavirus outbreak, Environment, Greenhouse gas emissions, Climate change >