- Guardian 10:45April 11, 2021Another huge data breach, another stony silence from Facebook | Carole CadwalladrThe social media giant is still a law unto itself. Can anybody hold it to account?Half a billion Facebook users’ accounts stolen. Personal information compromised. Telephone numbers and birth dates drifting across the internet being used for God knows what. And for four days, from Facebook’s corporate headquarters, nothing but silence.If this sounds familiar, it’s because it is. This week saw reports of a massive new Facebook breach and everything about it, from Facebook’s denials of the words “data” and “breach” to its repeated refusal to answer journalists’ questions, has been uncannily reminiscent of the Cambridge Analytica scandal. Continue reading...
< Facebook, Technology, Internet, Social networking, Cambridge Analytica, Business, Media, World news >
- Guardian 08:45April 11, 2021Facebook ‘still too slow to act on groups profiting from Covid conspiracy theories’Over 100 Instagram accounts are promoting dangerous antivax views and selling ‘detox’ products, investigation findsCoronavirus – latest updatesSee all our coronavirus coverageCovid conspiracy theorists are seeking to profit from the millions of followers they have built up on Instagram during the pandemic by marketing health supplements, wellness courses and juicers to them.The Bureau of Investigative Journalism has identified more than 100 Covid conspiracy accounts promoting products to an audience of almost 6 million people on Instagram, which is owned by Facebook. Continue reading...
< Facebook, Coronavirus, Vaccines and immunisation, Social networking >
- Business Insider 23:35April 10, 2021Personal data of 1.3 million Clubhouse users has reportedly leaked online days after LinkedIn and Facebook also suffered data breachesThe leaked data of Clubhouse users includes names, social media profiles, and other details. It's the latest in a recent string of data breaches.
< Tech Insider, News, Clubhouse, Apps, Social Media, Data Breach, Facebook, LinkedIn >
- Guardian 23:00April 10, 2021Who will deal with your online presence when you die? How to create a ‘digital will’Making a plan now can prevent identity theft, save records and stop friends getting painful pop-up reminders when you’re goneTwo things are certain in life: death and the internet.With so many day-to-day functions, tasks and memories now taking place online, the question of what will become of your digital legacy – who will preserve, control or delete your accounts when you are gone – has become increasingly important. Continue reading...
< Social media, Digital media, Facebook, Google, Twitter, Social networking, Internet, Technology >
- Business Insider 16:46April 10, 2021It's smackdown season in techlandIn this week's edition of Insider Tech we take a look at some of the big rivalries shaping the tech landscape.
< Tech Insider, Enterprise, Newsletter, Facebook, Apple, Oracle, Google, Databricks, Snowflake Computing >
- Business Insider 16:44April 10, 2021A Muslim advocacy group just sued Facebook for failing to remove hate-speech, and it's the latest example of the tech's patchwork polices that fail to crack down on IslamophobiaMuslim Advocates said it presented Facebook in 2017 with a list of 26 groups that spread anti-Muslim hate, yet 19 of them are still active.
< Tech Insider, Facebook, Islamophobia, Mark Zuckerberg, Diversity, Hate Speech, analysis >
- Business Insider 13:40April 10, 2021Trump's plan to start his own social media platform is doomed to failure, say expertsDonald Trump is very unlikely to launch a successful new social media network, experts told Insider.
< Politics, Analysis, Tech Insider, Trump, Twitter, Facebook, Social Media, UK Weekend >
- Business Insider 12:30April 10, 2021Remote-work salaries are higher than office-based salaries in some cities, a new study has foundHere's where employees can find the most opportunities for remote work and the cities paying the highest salaries for such work
< Careers, Weekend BI UK, Remote Work, Spotify, Twitter, Facebook, Careers >
- Life.ru 11:36April 10, 2021Стало известно, во сколько Facebook обходится безопасность ЦукербергаСудя по данным, расходы на охрану основателя популярной соцсети значительно выросли за последний год.
< маркцукерберг, безопасности, соцсети, бизнесмены, facebook >
- Snopes 23:02April 9, 2021Study: Facebook Delivers Biased Job Ads, Skewed by GenderFacebook is showing different job ads to women and men in a way that might run afoul of anti-discrimination laws, according to a new study.
< facebook analytics >
- Business Insider 18:09April 9, 2021Facebook will convert part of its headquarters into a vaccination site for underserved communitiesFacebook's headquarters in Menlo Park, California, is being temporarily converted into a COVID vaccination site, COO Sheryl Sandberg said on Friday.
< Tech Insider, Healthcare, Facebook, Pandemic, Vaccine, COVID, coronavirus, COVID-19, Sheryl Sandberg, Mark Zuckerberg, Vaccinations, California >
- Guardian 17:29April 9, 2021Facebook removes over 16,000 groups trading fake reviewsFirm takes action after criticism by UK competitions regulator for failing to clamp down on illegal tradeFacebook has removed more than 16,000 groups trading fake reviews after the UK’s competition regulator criticised the company for failing to make good on a previous promise to clamp down on the practice.In January 2020, the Competition and Markets Authority secured an agreement from Facebook to “better identify, investigate and remove groups and other pages where fake and misleading reviews were being traded, and prevent them from reappearing”. Continue reading...
< Facebook, UK news, Media, Social networking, Technology, Competition and Markets Authority, Business, Regulators >
- Life.ru 02:38April 9, 2021Facebook и Instagram восстановили работу после глобальных сбоевРанее пользователи в разных частях мира жаловались на проблемы со входом в аккаунты. У некоторых не получалось даже зайти на сайты платформ.
< соцсети, сбои, facebook, instagram >
- Breitbart News 02:20April 9, 2021Top Republican to DHS: Stop Human Smugglers from Advertising Safe Passage on FacebookTop Republican this week requested a briefing from DHS about human smugglers "brazenly" advertising safe passage into the U.S. on Facebook.
< Immigration, Politics, Tech, Border Crisis, Bruno Lozano, DHS, Drug Cartels, Emanuel Cleaver, Facebook, Henry Cuellar, House Committee on Homeland Security, human smugglers, John Katko, U.S. Department of Homeland Security >
- Mashable 01:24April 9, 2021Stop yer scrollin': Facebook and Instagram are downYou have reached the end of your feed.
Facebook and Instagram websites, and the company's internal sites, appear to have gone down for some people since around 2:30 p.m. PT Thursday, according to social media and DownDetector reports. It's the second outage in just the last three weeks. Instagram outages spiked at 2:30 pm PT.
Image: screenshot: down detector
Everyone naturally rushed to Twitter to commiserate over the problem, and DownDetector showed issues in multiple cities across the U.S. Navigating to Facebook and Instagram on web browsers delivered a "This site can't be reached" error message. While it was possible for Mashable employees to access the Facebook and Instagram apps, posts were slow to publish. Read more...More about Facebook, Instagram, Outage, Tech, and Social Media Companies
< Facebook, Instagram, Outage, Tech, Social Media Companies >
- Business Insider 01:08April 9, 2021Facebook, Instagram, and WhatsApp appear to be experiencing issues as thousands report outagesReports on Downdetector skyrocketed just after 5 p.m. for the popular social media sites with no word on when they'll be back.
< Tech Insider, News, Tech, Tech Insider, Facebook, Mark Zuckerberg, Social Media, Downdetector, Apps, Apps and Platforms, Instagram >
- Life.ru 00:40April 9, 20215 альтернатив Zoom: подбираем новые инструменты для видеоконференцийВ начале недели поползли слухи о том, что Zoom может оказаться под запретом в России. Если быть точными, то новость о том, что Zoom отказывается от услуг посредников при продаже подписок российским госорганам, благодаря СМИ превратилась в новость о том, что компания собирается уходить из России или как минимум намерена прекратить сотрудничество с госпредприятиями и ведомствами внутри страны. И хоть к настоящему времени ситуация с ней прояснилась и в компании заверили, что никуда уходить не собирались и не собираются, — разумно иметь про запас несколько альтернативных вариантов для видеосвязи.
< telegram, google, facebook, whatsapp >
- Petapixel 00:06April 9, 2021Facebook Tests Hotline, A Mashup of Clubhouse and Instagram LiveFacebook has launched Hotline, a question and answer-style app that combines the features found in the popular app Clubhouse along with Instagram Live features, into a public beta test. TechCrunch reports that Hotline, led by product developer Eric Hazzard, has been launched into beta testing by Facebook’s New Product Experimentation (NPE) Team, which develops, releases, […]
< Mobile, News, clubhouse, Facebook, hotline, instagram, instagramlive, liverooms, livestream, livestreamapp, podcasts, socialmedia, socialmediaapps >
- Business Insider 23:16April 8, 2021Facebook, eBay, and other online marketplaces are working to clamp down on sales of doctored COVID-19 vaccine cardsOnline scammers have profited throughout the pandemic by selling fake face masks, treatments, and vaccines. Now, they're selling vaccine cards.
< Tech Insider, News, COVID-19, Vaccine, Facebook, Fraud, Social Media, eBay, Shopify >
- Guardian 21:47April 8, 2021Facebook will not notify more than 530m users exposed in 2019 breachCompany spokesperson said Facebook was not confident it had full visibility on which users would need to be alertedFacebook has not notified the more-than 530m users whose details were exposed on a hacker forum in 2019 and has no plans to do so, according to company representatives. Continue reading...
< Facebook, Hacking, Technology, Social networking, US news, World news >
- Business Insider 21:03April 8, 2021Facebook was running ads with voter fraud conspiracies as recently as this weekA Facebook ad featuring voter fraud conspiracies from the conservative super PAC Restoration Action was running until Insider contacted Facebook.
< Tech Insider, Politics, Advertising, Elections, Facebook, Advertising, Ads, Voting, President Trump, Donald Trump, Mark Zuckerberg, Politics, political advertising, Political ads >
- Petapixel 18:01April 8, 2021Facebook Won’t Notify Users About Data Breach, Blames Them InsteadFacebook does not plan to inform any of its users if they were affected by the massive data breach that affected over half a billion people. While the breach occurred in 2019, it was only revealed in the last week. Additionally, the company is blaming its users for not securing their data better. A company […]
< News, databreach, dataleak, emails, Facebook, leaked, phonenumbers >
- Business Insider 14:28April 8, 2021Facebook is testing Hotline, a Q&A app that's a bit like Clubhouse, but with video. A real-estate investor hosted the app's first live session.Hotline, which Facebook is currently testing, lets creators chat to their audience via livestreamed video, instead of just audio.
< Tech Insider, Facebook, Clubhouse, Instagram, Social Media, hotline, Tech Insider, Test, App, Twitter >
- Life.ru 13:20April 8, 2021Роскомнадзор привлечёт к ответственности Facebook, Twitter и Google, если они не сообщат о локализации данныхСоцсети уже получали наказания за это в прошлом году, однако до сих пор не выполнили требования.
< twitter, facebook, google, роскомнадзор, законы, штрафы >
- Breitbart News 08:13April 8, 2021Peter Thiel on 'Woke' Big Tech: They Don't Consider Themselves as 'American Companies'Tech entrepreneur Peter Thiel said Tuesday that American Big Tech companies do not consider themselves to be "American companies."
< Politics, Tech, Amazon, Apple, Big Tech, Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Mike Pompeo, Peter Thiel, Robert O'Brien, Silicon Valley >
- Business Insider 00:25April 8, 2021After data from half a billion Facebook users was leaked, the company isn't planning to tell people if they were impactedFacebook accidentally leaked the personal information of over 533 million users, but is unable to alert them because it's not sure who was impacted.
< Tech Insider, News, Facebook, breach, Hack, Data, User Data >
- Business Insider 18:42April 7, 2021Big tech can't keep our kids safe, so the platforms need to at least make it easier for parents to protect their children onlineThe developers of social media apps will never be primarily focused on the safety of the kids who use them. But they can let us parents to the job.
< Opinion, Politics, Tech Insider, BI Commentary, Opinion, YouTube, Social Media, Instagram, Parental Controls, TikTok, Cyberbullying, Facebook >
- Breitbart News 18:21April 7, 2021Indiana Attorney General Begins Probe into Five Big Tech Corporations for Conservative Censorship Involving Biden's Nominee Vanita GuptaIndiana Attorney General has begun investigations into five Big Tech corporations for censorship of conservative content involving Joe Biden's nominee, Vanita Gupta.
< Economy, Politics, Tech, Amazon, Apple, Big Tech, Dick Durbin, Facebook, Google, Indiana, Joe Manchin, Todd Rokita, Tom Cotton, Twitter, Vanita Gupta >
- Business Insider 13:49April 7, 2021Facebook says the leak of 533 million users' data online wasn't a hack - but its explanation of what happened doesn't quite add upFacebook said Tuesday the breach was old data obtained via scraping - but the timeline it put forward in its explanation doesn't quite make sense.
< Tech Insider, Facebook, Data, Hack, leak, breach >
- Типичный программист 11:24April 7, 2021Хакеры разослали пользователям вредоносное обновление смартфонов, взломав сервер их производителяВ результате атаки, множество пользователей потеряло доступ к своим Facebook-аккаунтам. Также их WhatsApp-аккаунты использовали для рассылки спама.
— Читать дальше «Хакеры разослали пользователям вредоносное обновление смартфонов, взломав сервер их производителя»
< Новости, Android, Facebook, Взлом, Хакеры >
- Типичный программист 08:31April 7, 2021Apple поддержала FreeBSD донатом менее 250 долларовВ то время как многие ИТ-гиганты выделили под это дело в десятки раз большие суммы.
— Читать дальше «Apple поддержала FreeBSD донатом менее 250 долларов»
< Новости, Adobe, Apple, Facebook, Google, Intel >
- Business Insider 22:22April 6, 2021Facebook did not hire Black employees because they were not a 'culture fit,' report says"There's no doubt you can do the job, but we're really looking for a culture fit," a Facebook hiring manager is accused of telling a Black candidate.
< Tech Insider, News, Facebook, EEOC, Discrimination, Workplace Culture, workplace discrimination >
- New York Magazine 19:01April 6, 2021Why Facebook Is the Most Vulnerable of the Tech GiantsIt’s sitting pretty right now but faces structural problems its rivals don’t.
< pivot, kara swisher, scott galloway, facebook, mark zuckerberg >
- Business Insider 18:09April 6, 2021Facebook, Google, and other tech giants donated tens of thousands of dollars to a Republican group that's pushing voter suppression lawsAfter pledging to halt all political contributions in early 2021, Facebook donated $50,000 to a Republican group that supports voter suppression laws.
< Tech Insider, Politics, Facebook, Republican National Committee, RNC, Google, Mark Zuckerberg, Elections >
- Life.ru 16:02April 6, 2021Роскомнадзор потребовал от Facebook предоставить информацию об утечке данных 10 млн россиянАдминистрацию ресурса призвали принять все необходимые меры для предотвращения подобных утечек.
< роскомнадзор, facebook, персональныеданные >
- Business Insider 15:17April 6, 2021How to find out in 10 seconds whether your phone number was leaked in the giant Facebook breach that exposed the data of 533 million usersA Facebook breach affecting 533 million users prompted the security analyst who runs "Have I been pwned" to let people search for their phone number.
< Tech Insider, Facebook, Data, breach, leak, phone number, Have I been pwned, Cybersecurity >
- Типичный программист 14:07April 6, 2021Утечка Facebook показала, что Марк Цукерберг пользуется SignalДаже странно, что не Telegram.
— Читать дальше «Утечка Facebook показала, что Марк Цукерберг пользуется Signal»
< Новости, Facebook, Кибербезопасность, Мессенджер, Персональные данные, Утечка данных >
- Business Insider 13:26April 6, 2021Facebook is letting China run state ads denying the abuse of Uyghur Muslims in Xinjiang, and staff are reportedly raising concerns internallyThe ads on Facebook claim life in the region of Xinjiang is happy. Multiple reports have detailed human rights abuses against Uyghur Muslims.
< Tech Insider, Facebook, China, Uyghurs, Xinjiang, Human Rights >
- Business Insider 00:43April 6, 2021Peter Rice takes charge at ABC NewsInsider's top advertising and media stories for April 6.
< Advertising, Media, Newsletter, Newsletters, Coca-Cola, ABC News, Delta, Facebook, Apple >
- Petapixel 00:42April 6, 2021Lawmakers Want Details on Facebook’s Instagram for KidsIn March, Instagram was reportedly working on a version of its app that was designed specifically for children. Today, four Democratic lawmakers have expressed concern over the project, and have written a letter to CEO Mark Zuckerburg asking fourteen pointed and technical questions about the initiative. Buzzfeed broke the original report that the social media […]
< Culture, News, children, congress, Facebook, instagram, instagramforchildren, senate, senators, socialmedia >
- Business Insider 23:59April 5, 2021How to find out in 2 easy steps if your data was exposed in an online breachThe website "Have I been pwned," can tell you if your email account or password has been compromised.
< Tech Insider, News, Facebook, Data Breach, Personal data, email address, Password >
- Petapixel 23:21April 5, 2021533 Million Facebook Users’ Info Was Leaked OnlineThe personal data of over half a billion Facebook users was posted online over the weekend. It appears to have been collected in 2019 through a vulnerability Facebook patched that year, but security professionals believe it could still be useful to cybercriminals. The database of 533 million records was leaked for free, meaning if you […]
< News, databreach, dataleak, emails, Facebook, leaked, phonenumbers >
- Business Insider 22:29April 5, 2021Apple CEO Tim Cook appears to take jab at Facebook saying App Store would be better with 'more social networks'Apple and Facebook are currently engaged in a public battle over an upcoming privacy update to iPhones.
< Tech Insider, Advertising, Tim Cook, Facebook, Parler, Social Media >
- Business Insider 18:44April 5, 2021Mark Zuckerberg and Tim Cook have feuded for years over user privacy and antitrust concerns. Here's where their rivalry began and everything that's happened since.Tim Cook and Mark Zuckerberg have been feuding since at least 2014, trading barbs over each other's products and business models.
< Tech Insider, Features, Apple, Tim Cook, Facebook, Mark Zuckerberg, App Store, Cambridge Analytica, Tech CEOs >
- Business Insider 18:15April 5, 2021Tim Cook says Facebook's objections to letting people pick whether or not to be tracked are 'flimsy arguments'Apple CEO Tim Cook told The New York Times that he believes society is embroiled in a privacy crisis.
< Tech Insider, Apple, Facebook, Tim Cook, Mark Zuckerberg, App Store, Advertising, Privacy >
- New York Times 18:01April 5, 2021China Tries to Counter Xinjiang Backlash With … a Musical?The movie is part of Beijing’s wide-ranging new propaganda campaign to push back on sanctions and criticism of its oppression of the Uyghurs.
< Forced Labor, Kazakhs (Ethnic Group), Han Chinese (Ethnic Group), Uighurs (Chinese Ethnic Group), Social Media, Movies, Minorities, Communist Party of China, Twitter, Facebook Inc, China, Xinjiang (China) >
- Business Insider 02:02April 5, 2021Millions of Facebook users' data was leakedInsider's top advertising and media stories for April 5.
< Advertising, Media, Newsletter, Newsletters, Adobe, Ad Tech, marketing tech, Burger King, CMO, Activision, Facebook >
- The Bell 19:19April 4, 2021Среди слитых данных пользователей Facebook оказался телефонный номер Марка ЦукербергаСреди телефонных номеров, попавших в открытый доступ из-за утечки данных пользователей Facebook, есть номер основателя компании Марка Цукерберга. Об этом сообщает The New York Post.Скриншот с хакерского форума, подтверждающий эту информацию, разместил один из пользователей Twitter.«Что касается утечки данных 533 миллионов человек — ирония в том, что, к сожалению, Марк Цукерберг тоже среди них. Раз журналисты не могут добиться заявления от Facebook, может, им стоит позвонить ему […]
Сообщение Среди слитых данных пользователей Facebook оказался телефонный номер Марка Цукерберга появились сначала на The Bell.
< Новости, Facebook, Марк Цукерберг >
- Life.ru 18:32April 4, 2021Номер Цукерберга попал в Сеть из-за утечки данных пользователей FacebookНа это обратил внимание один из юзеров Twitter.
< маркцукерберг, facebook, утечки, номера >
- Business Insider 14:12April 4, 2021Mark Zuckerberg's phone number appeared among the leaked data of Facebook users, according to a researcherFacebook said the data in question was found and fixed in 2019. However, the posting of the content on a forum could make it widely available, as Insider previously reported.
< Tech Insider, Weekend BI UK, Facebook, Mark Zuckerberg, Tech, Big Tech, Data >