- Breitbart News 06:37August 22, 2019New York Times and Never Trump's Bill Kristol Want Joe Walsh to Primary TrumpThe New York Times reported Wednesday evening that former Rep. Joe Walsh (D-IL) is considering a primary challenge to President Donald Trump, and that he is being supported by "Never Trump" stalwart Bill Kristol.
< 2020 Election, Media, Politics, Joe Walsh, Never Trump, New York Times, primary challenge, racism, Tea Party >
- Breitbart News 03:41August 22, 2019Flashback—Joe Biden’s Staff Forced Reporter into Closet During 2011 FundraiserFormer Vice President Joe Biden’s staff forced a reporter to hide in a closet during a $500-a-head fundraiser in 2011.
< 2020 Election, Media, Politics, 2020 Democratic Presidential Primary, Barack Obama, Bill Nelson, Charlottesville hoax, CNN, Florida, Jake Tapper, Joe Biden, Orlando Sentinel >
- Breitbart News 02:29August 22, 2019Ann Coulter: Media Blackmailing America, Vote Out Trump or Our ‘Hysteria and Madness Will Go On’News media outlets are essentially threatening Trump's supporters with continued "hysteria" if the president is reelected, said Ann Coulter.
< Media, Politics, Radio, Ann Coulter, CNN, Media Bias, MSNBC, New York Times, Trump Derangement Syndrome, Washington Post >
- Mashable 01:12August 22, 2019Why Instagram should take that viral hoax seriouslyBy now, you've probably heard about that ridiculous, nearly decade-old privacy hoax that went viral on Instagram thanks to a bunch of clueless celebrities.
And while it's easy to laugh at, it has some pretty serious implications for the company's billion plus users.
That the hoax, which has been repeatedly debunked over the years, was able to spread like virtual wildfire across Instagram is concerning to say the least. It shows just how easily conspiracy theories and propaganda can spread, with Instagram doing little to stop it.
While there's plenty to criticize about Facebook's misinformation-fighting, the company will at least debunk conspiracy theories and attempt to push them out of sight in its News Feed. The process has been criticized for moving too slowly at times, but there are signs it's been effective at reducing the spread of fake news. Read more...More about Tech, Facebook, Instagram, Social Media Companies, and Tech
< Tech, Facebook, Instagram, Social Media Companies, Tech >
- Breitbart News 22:58August 21, 2019Anthony Scaramucci Goes on Media Blitz After Public Feud with TrumpFormer White House communications director Anthony Scaramucci has denied that he has turned on President Donald Trump in order to get more TV time, but a look at his TV appearances since their feud spilled out in public on August 10 showed he has done more than one interview a day since, with most of them on CNN.
< 2020 Election, Media, Politics, Anthony Scaramucci, CNN, Donald Trump, MSNBC >
< technology, social media >
- The Guardian(UK) 21:00August 21, 2019Boris Johnson aping Vladimir Putin’s media strategy, says Channel 4 news chiefDorothy Byrne describes PM as a liar and says broadcasters must call out his falsehoodsBoris Johnson is a “known liar” who is copying Vladimir Putin’s approach to the media, according to Channel 4’s head of news and current affairs, who called on broadcasters to aggressively challenge the prime minister’s falsehoods.Dorothy Byrne said Johnson’s shift towards publishing his own videos on Facebook rather than giving sit-down interviews to journalists reminded her of the Russian president, “who also likes to talk directly to the nation”. Continue reading...
< Boris Johnson, Channel 4, Television industry, Conservatives, Dominic Cummings, Media, Politics, UK news >
- Breitbart News 19:09August 21, 2019CNN's Wajahat Ali: Trump, White Supremacists Are 'Coming for All of Us'During an appearance on Tuesday's broadcast of "CNN Tonight," network contributor Wajahat Ali criticized President Donald Trump by saying he was more than just racist but an antisemitic white supremacist as well.
< Clips, Media, Politics, CNN, CNN Tonight, Don Lemon, Wajahat Ali, white supremacist >
- Breitbart News 18:42August 21, 2019Flashback: Anthony Scaramucci's Wife Deidre Ball Hints at ‘Real Housewives' TV GigFired White House communications director Anthony Scaramucci has been on the warpath against President Donald Trump in recent days, and political insiders are wondering whether "The Mooch" has a media promotion in mind.
< Entertainment, Media, Politics, Anthony Scaramucci, Deidre Ball, Donald Trump, Real Housewives >
- Mashable 18:24August 21, 2019Instagram to start paying researchers to find apps abusing its data"Our goal is to help protect the information people share on Instagram and encourage security researchers to report potential abuse to us so we can quickly take action."Read more here. Read more...More about Tech, Instagram, Mashable Video, Cybersecurity, and Social Media
< Tech, Instagram, Mashable Video, Cybersecurity, Social Media >
- Mashable 18:10August 21, 2019Trans woman googles every news story containing the word 'transgender' in a yearTea Uglow was having dinner with her family when her brother proffered an impromptu opinion on "the role of trans people in sport, women's spaces, and the 'danger to the kids.'"
"It was as surprising as it was personally devastating," said Uglow, who identifies as trans.
"After an emotional discussion it was even harder to persuade everyone that this was literally regurgitating ideas we’d seen on the front pages for the last few years," she added. "'Concerns' that were not concerning when I actually transitioned."
From the conversation with her family, an idea emerged. Uglow, who works for Google Creative Lab, said she wanted to see where those ideas about trans people emerged by doing a non-partisan review of headlines from the past year. "I just wanted to see, without cherry-picking the 'bad' headlines, how out of control the situation was," she said. Read more...More about Transgender, Transgender Rights, Media Industry, Social Good, and Activism
< Transgender, Transgender Rights, Media Industry, Social Good, Activism >
- WIRED Business 17:01August 21, 2019An Old Instagram Hoax Fools a Bunch of CelebritiesInstagram users like Usher, Martha Stewart, and Rick Perry posted a meme warning about a new rule that doesn't actually exist.
< Business, Business / Social Media >
- Mashable 17:00August 21, 2019Apple Card has its own Twitter accountApple's high-tech, no-fee credit card, the Apple Card, launched Tuesday for everyone in the U.S., and now it has joined a fairly exclusive club: Apple products or services that have a Twitter account.
First noticed by 9to5Mac and originally created in April, the official Apple Card account has only tweeted once, to promote the card itself. The account hasn't followed anyone nor replied to anyone, and it pointed to Apple's support account @AppleSupport for questions, so we can probably expect it to merely highlight new features of the Apple Card. It lives in the Wallet app. And in your walletLearn more about Apple Card at https://t.co/py9EN04GiQFor support-related questions, contact @AppleSupport.
— Apple Card (@AppleCard) August 20, 2019 Read more...
More about Twitter, Apple, Apple Card, Tech, and Social Media Companies
< Twitter, Apple, Apple Card, Tech, Social Media Companies >
- Guardian 15:54August 21, 2019'The ultimate binge-watch': why football docs top Game of Thrones for dramaStuffed full of agony, redemption and melodrama, football is the perfect fit for the streaming age, as Amazon’s engrossing Leeds United documentary provesVery few Leeds United fans regard the denouement to the 2018-19 football season as anything other than the cruellest and cheapest of dramatic devices. It was as painfully inevitable as a dutiful cop being shot in the head on his last assignment before retirement. But like all football fans, Leeds supporters are suckers for punishment. They will relive this misery and pay for the privilege of doing so. In fact, they will look forward to the prospect – Leeds Twitter has been abuzz with talk of a new Amazon documentary series about their glorious failure for several months. Related: Russell Crowe, Kalvin Phillips’ gran and hope – Leeds documentary has it all (apart from Bielsa) Continue reading...
< Sport TV, Television, Culture, Television & radio, Football, Leeds United, Sport, Amazon Prime Video, Media >
- WIRED Business 14:00August 21, 2019There’s a Thriving Market for Human Body Parts on InstagramUsers quietly buy and sell human skulls, decorated and sold by macabre enthusiasts. Is the underground marketplace just a microcosm of our colonial past?
< Backchannel, Business / Social Media >
- WIRED Business 14:00August 21, 2019Accused of Liberal Bias, Facebook Allows Ads With ... TubesFacebook will now allow ads depicting “medical tubes connected to the human body,” in response to complaints from anti-abortion groups.
< Business, Business / Social Media >
- Breaking Defense 11:01August 21, 2019‘Desperate Need For Speed’ As Army Takes On Chinese, Russian, ISIS Info OpsThe Army wants to move much faster in cyberspace against espionage, subversion, and disinformation — but that means accepting higher risks.
< Land Warfare, Networks / Cyber, Threats, 2016 elections, Arcyber, Army Cyber Command, cyber warfare, FORSCOM, Gen. Paul Funk, Gen. Stephen Fogarty, information operations, Islamic State, multi-domain operations, political warfare, Russia, social media, strategy, TechNet Augusta 2019 >
- Guardian 08:00August 21, 2019The age of comfort TV: why people are secretly watching Friends and The Office on a loopWe are in an era of ‘prestige television’, with unprecedented choice and quality. So why are so many of us streaming endless reruns of 90s sitcoms?In the opening episode of Netflix’s animated Hollywood satire BoJack Horseman, the eponymous steed gives a drunken speech about Horsin’ Around, the (fictional) feelgood sitcom that made him a star in the 90s. “For a lot of people, life is just one long, hard kick in the urethra,” he says. “And sometimes, when you get home from a long day of getting kicked in the urethra, you just want to watch a show about good, likable people who love each other – where no matter what happens, at the end of 30 minutes, everything’s gonna turn out OK.”BoJack Horseman is a rare thing on Netflix in that it is a) original, b) critically adored and c) extremely popular. It is the 15th-most-viewed Netflix show in the US, according to the analytics firm Jumpshot (one of the best guides to what is popular on the platform, as Netflix doesn’t release stats). Continue reading...
< Television, Television, Television industry, Culture, Media, Technology, Television & radio, Friends, Netflix >
- Breitbart News 07:52August 21, 2019Tucker Carlson Examines Sen. Mike Lee's Evolution on Google -- 'Maybe It's Every Bit as Corrupt as It Seems'Tuesday during his prime time Fox News Channel program, Tucker Carlson offered an assessment of Sen. Mike Lee's (R-UT) evolution on Google.
< Clips, Media, Tech, Fox News Channel, Google, Mike Lee, Tucker Carlson, Tucker Carlson Tonight >
- Breitbart News 05:53August 21, 2019Joe Biden Attacks Reporter: ‘You're Going To Go After Me No Matter What’Joe Biden lashed out at a reporter in Iowa on Tuesday, after the journalist fact checked him for claiming to draw the largest crowds of any Democrat running for president.
< 2020 Election, Politics, 2020 Democratic Presidential Primary, Charlottesville hoax, Donald Trump, Elizabeth Warren, gaffe, Iowa, Joe Biden, Joel Pollak, media, Peter Doocy >
- Breitbart News 03:14August 21, 2019Pollak: Trump Just Told Liberal Jews What They've Been Telling Conservative Jews for Years About DisloyaltyTrump meant "disloyalty" to the Jewish people, not to America. Not all of us would have chosen those words. But the Jewish left is getting a taste of its own medicine.
< Israel / Middle East, Media, Politics, Ilhan Omar, Jews, liberal Jews, Media Bias, Rashida Tlaib >
- Breitbart News 23:06August 20, 2019Fact Check: Elizabeth Warren Crowd Was 6,000 at Most, not 12,000CLAIM: Elizabeth Warren's campaign claims she drew 12,000 people to Macalester. VERDICT: The crowd size was closer to 4,000, and probably 6,000 at most.
< 2020 Election, Media, Politics, 2020 Democratic primary, Elizabeth Warren, Minnesota >
- New York Magazine 22:37August 20, 2019Facebook Exacerbates One Problem by Trying to Solve AnotherThe effort has echoes of the last time Facebook used editors, to curate its controversial Trending Topics section.
< facebook, content, the zucc, moderation, media, technology >
- Breitbart News 21:59August 20, 2019Kyl Report: Facebook Faces Workplace Viewpoint Diversity ChallengesFacebook continues to face challenges with viewpoint diversity among its employees and board of directors, impacting the creation and implementation of content policies and algorithms, according to an interim Facebook study released Tuesday by former Sen. Jon Kyl (R-AZ).
< Media, Politics, Tech, Donald Trump, Facebook, Jon Kyl, Mark Zuckerberg, Masters of the Universe >
- Breitbart News 20:34August 20, 2019George Conway: Trump White House Staff 'Work for a Rapist'Attorney George Conway, the husband of White House aide Kellyanne Conway, is now accusing staffers of President Donald Trump of working for a "rapist."
< Media, Politics, Anthony Scaramucci, Donald Trump, George Conway, Kellyanne Conway >
- Breaking Defense 18:05August 20, 2019America Adrift: ‘Bringing The World To Crisis”The Trump administration has watered down U.S. global leadership to coercive deal-making. The dangerous contours of a world in crisis are now coming into stark relief.
< Air Warfare, Allies, Naval Warfare, Pentagon, Threats, britain, China, European union, INF Treaty, Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty, John Bolton, Mike Pompeo, NATO, NATO 70th anniversary, Nicholas Burns, Operation Sentinel, persian gulf, Russia, saudi arabia, secretary of state, strategy, UAE, william cohen >
- Breitbart News 18:04August 20, 2019Facebook Hiring Corporate Media Veterans to Manually Curate 'News Tab'Facebook recently spoke with Axios, revealing a number of plans to promote news outlets on its platform including the creation of a "News Tab" featuring outlets handpicked by Facebook, changing how millions of people receive news.
< Media, Tech, Facebook, Facebook News Tab, Mark Zuckerberg, Masters of the Universe >
- Breitbart News 18:00August 20, 2019Nolte: Politico Wants Us to Deny Evidence of Joe Biden's Cognitive DeclineJoe Biden's chances of surviving his first term are below 80 percent, the increasingly frail and gaffe-prone former vice president is obviously nowhere near as sharp as he once was, but the far-left Politico still ran with the headline "Why Fears About Biden's Age are Overblown" that features a photo of Biden running towards the camera.
< 2020 Election, Media, Politics, fake news, gaffe, Joe Biden, mental health, Politico >
- Guardian 18:00August 20, 2019Facebook launches 'clear history' tool – but it won't delete anythingFeature ‘disconnects’ data from a user’s account and shows extent of tracking apparatusFacebook has launched its “clear history” feature more than a year after it was first promised by Mark Zuckerberg as part of damage control efforts after the Cambridge Analytica revelations.The new feature, part of a wider set of tools covering “off-Facebook activity”, will not delete anything from Facebook’s servers, instead simply “disconnecting” data from an individual user’s account. Continue reading...
< Facebook, Internet, Technology, Social networking, Social media, Media >
- Breitbart News 17:07August 20, 2019Twitter Stops Ads from Chinese State Media After BacklashShortly after receiving criticism for allowing Chinese-government run state media to advertise on its platform, Twitter has banned all state-controlled media outlets from advertising.
< Asia, Media, Tech, Hong Kong, Hong Kong Protests, Masters of the Universe, Twitter, Xinhua, Xinhua news agency >
- New York Times 16:55August 20, 2019China’s Soft-Power Fail: Condemning Hong Kong’s ProtestsBeijing wants greater sway over global public opinion. Instead, its propaganda outlets make Chinese leaders look like bullies.
< China, Hong Kong, Demonstrations, Protests and Riots, Hong Kong Protests (2019), Propaganda, Politics and Government, Social Media, Censorship, Computers and the Internet, Polls and Public Opinion, Facebook Inc, Twitter >
- Observer 16:50August 20, 2019Is Apple Making a Mistake With Pricing for Its New Streaming Service?Why $9.99 per month may be a ill-advised starting point for Apple TV+.
< Amazon, Apple, apple tv, disney, HBO Max, Hulu, Netflix, WarnerMedia >
- Guardian 08:00August 20, 2019‘We all have to be laughing by 5.30am’: how Radio 1’s Greg James saved BreakfastWith his stupid stunts and empathy for his audience, the Breakfast show host is a rare success story in radio. He talks about opening up on mental health, the problem with jingles – and why it’s such a great time to be sillyThe BBC Radio 1 Breakfast show, says its host, Greg James, is about “fun for fun’s sake”. This Wednesday morning, not long after dawn, that involves a lot of chat about bins. There are a couple of stories knocking about, James explains on air. A Nuneaton family accused of having smelly bins have defended themselves on TV. A binman has bought a birthday cake for a woman on his route who was turning 100. Plus, it is James’s bin day today. “And yes, I did remember to put them out before I came in.”James’s day starts at 5.30am, four days a week, with his show on air from 6.30am to 10am. As I listen at home, getting ready to join him in the studio for his final hour, it occurs to me: sometimes it is not enough just to go out in search of fun, it is more often about making your own – and hoping it translates. Continue reading...
< Radio, Radio 1, BBC, Radio industry, Media, Culture >
- The Guardian 07:41August 20, 2019Alan Jones condemned after calling for Jacinda Ardern to be 'backhanded'Fresh audio of Australian shock jock labelled ‘very dangerous’ and ‘appalling’ by women’s groups in New ZealandComments by Australian broadcaster Alan Jones that the New Zealand prime minister Jacinda Ardern should be “backhanded” have been condemned as dangerously misogynistic by women’s groups in New Zealand.Last week Jones, a controversial radio host in Australia with a long history of making slurs against women in leadership roles, called Ardern a “clown” and said Australian PM Scott Morrison should “shove a sock down her throat” after she spoke at a regional leaders meeting about combating climate change. Continue reading...
< Jacinda Ardern, Alan Jones, New Zealand, Media, World news, Asia Pacific, Australia news >
- The Guardian 04:39August 20, 2019Sky News NZ fined for broadcasting live stream of Christchurch massacreBroadcasting Standards Authority issues $4,000 penalty for airing footage that had ‘potential to cause significant distress’Sky News New Zealand has been fined by the country’s broadcasting watchdog for airing live footage of the Christchurch terror attack that killed 51 people.On 15 March a lone gunmen killed 51 people in two inner-city Christchurch mosques – the worst mass murder in New Zealand history. Continue reading...
< Christchurch shooting, New Zealand, Sky News, Asia Pacific, Christchurch, Media, Sky plc, TV news, World news >
- New York Magazine 02:36August 20, 2019Everybody Hates Trump’s Twitter Addiction, and It Could Become a Campaign IssuePolls and Democratic research indicates that President Trump’s twitter addiction is not popular, and may reinforce the impression that he is not doing his job. It could even become a 2020 campaign issue, forcing him to desist one way or the other.
< politics, donald trump, twitter, social media, vision 2020, democrats >
- Breitbart News 00:50August 20, 2019CNN's Daniel Dale Compares Breitbart to New York TimesMonday on CNN’s “The Lead,” reporter Daniel Dale compared Breitbart News Network to The New York Times while discussing President Donald Trump’s tweet about Google. Wow, Report Just Out! Google manipulated from 2.6 million to 16 million votes for Hillary Clinton in
< Clips, Media, Politics, Breitbart News Network, Daniel Dale, Donald Trump >
- Breitbart News 00:46August 20, 2019Paris Dennard on CNN Fredo Flap: 'Yet to Hear an Apology to the Black Community'Neither CNN nor Chris Cuomo offered "an apology to the black community" for repeated use of the mocking label "Fredo," noted Paris Dennard.
< Media, Politics, Radio, Chris Cuomo, Fredo, paris dennard >
- Breaking Defense 00:16August 20, 2019US Fires INF-Busting Missile, First Test Since Treaty SignedThe test puts the nail in the coffin of the INF Treaty, which the US withdrew from earlier this month.
< Air Warfare, Land Warfare, Naval Warfare, Threats, Aegis Ashore, INF, Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty, Missile Defense, pentagon, Poland, Romania, Russia, Strategic Capabilities Office, Tomahawk cruise missile, Tomahawk Land Attack Missile >
- Breitbart News 21:56August 19, 2019Nolte: Democrat Fundraiser Features Simulated Donald Trump AssassinationWhen you have far-left media outlets like CNNLOL that have openly wished for Trump's assassination, that have normalized the idea of assassinating Trump as a good thing, this is to be expected.
< Media, Politics, assassination, CNN, Donald Trump, Fundraiser, Illinois, Martin Sandoval >
- The Guardian(UK) 21:20August 19, 2019NUJ highlights growing number of far-right attacks on journalistsUnion says police need to do more to counter ‘surge in violent extremism against journalists and media workers’Jamie Grierson: has the far right become mainstream in the UK?Journalists and camera crews are coming under attack on “an increased basis” from far right activists, and police need to take a strategic approach to dealing with the growing problem, according to the head of the National Union of Journalists.The union’s general secretary, Michelle Stanistreet, called on law enforcement to do more to tackle what she said was a “coordinated surge in violent extremism against journalists and media workers” as British politics has become more polarised since the EU referendum. Continue reading...
< Journalist safety, The far right, Tommy Robinson, UK news, Media >
- Observer 20:14August 19, 2019Here’s How We’d Handle the Rollout for Apple TV+Apple still hasn't revealed many specifics about its streaming service so we're (hypothetically) doing it for them.
< Amazon, Apple, apple tv, disney, HBO Max, Hulu, Netflix, WarnerMedia >
- Huffington Post UK 17:41August 19, 2019Being An Activist Has Never Been Harder As A Woman – Or More Important
< Social Media, Opinion, Young Women organization, social-media, opinion, young-women-organization, NEWS, news >
- Breitbart News 15:37August 19, 2019Exclusive: Michael Savage Slams Media Silence over His U.K. Ban Amid Tlaib UproarThe corporate media's collective freakout regarding Israel denying entry to far-left Rep. Rashida Tlaib (D-MI) while remaining silent on the United Kingdom's ban on talk radio legend and New York Times bestselling author Michael Savage is yet another example of how he press as a whole has "no standards," the broadcaster told Breitbart News.
< Israel / Middle East, Media, Politics, anti-Israel BDS movement, antisemitism, BDS, BDS movement, Ilhan Omar, Israel, jacqui smith, Michael Savage, Rashida Tlaib >
- Guardian 13:29August 19, 20195G battle hots up as EE lodges complaint over Three UK advertAdvertising Standards Authority to investigate whether claims breach codeThe first hostilities have broken out among telecoms rivals over who offers the best 5G to customers, with EE seeking an advertising ban against claims by Three UK that it offers the only “real” next-generation service.BT-owned EE is understood to have lodged a complaint with the advertising watchdog over an ad campaign by Three UK implying that 5G services offered by rivals are inferior. Continue reading...
< 5G, Telecommunications industry, Telecoms, EE, O2, Advertising Standards Authority, Vodafone, Advertising, Business, Media, Technology, UK news, Regulators >
- Breitbart News 02:33August 19, 2019Bernie Wants to End Cash Bail: ‘Hundreds of Thousands’ in Jail ‘Convicted of Nothing’Sen. Bernie Sanders said that “hundreds of thousands” of people are in jail “convicted of nothing" and that he plans to end cash bail policy.
< 2020 Election, Media, Politics, 2020, Bernie Sanders, cash bail, criminal justice reform, Incarceration, NPR >