- Business Insider 22:52November 27, 2020The Trump administration quietly pushed out nearly a dozen prominent defense advisors after its Pentagon leadership purgeThe administration reportedly gutted the Defense Policy Board, removing at least 11 of the board's 13 members this week.
< Military & Defense, Politics, Pentagon, Donald Trump >
- Breitbart News 18:54November 26, 2020Thanksgiving: 51K Pounds of Roasted Turkey, Other Holiday Treats Flown to U.S. Warfighters OverseasThe Pentagon will keep its decades-old tradition of ensuring troops deployed overseas, including war zones, get a taste of home with all the trimmings this Thanksgiving.
< Politics, Pentagon, Thanksgiving, U.S. Armed Forces >
- Breaking Defense 18:25November 25, 2020131 TONS of Thanksgiving Treats Move Out This Year“Food is emotional, and this year more than ever, it’s so important that DLA Troop Support got the turkeys, hams and all the trimmings to our troops wherever they are stationed,” Col. Eric McCoy, DLA troop support subsistence director, says.
< Pentagon, COVID-19 coronavirus, Defense Logistics Agency, DLA, logistics, Thanksgiving 2020 >
- Breitbart News 00:55November 25, 2020'Old A** Idiot': James Mattis' Call to End 'America First' Prompts Swift BacklashMattis prompted a backlash from conservatives after he calling to eliminate "America First" from the nation's national security strategy.
< 2020 Election, Politics, Afghanistan, Barack Obama, Defense Department, globalist, Iran, Iraq, ISIS, Jim Mattis, Michèle Flournoy, Never Trumpers, Pentagon >
- Breaking Defense 00:11November 25, 2020JAIC To Evangelize AI Across DoD“Artificial Intelligence… is not a black box that a contractor is going to deliver to you,” Lt. Gen. Michael Groen says. “It’s commander’s business at every level[:] What data drives your decision-making?”
< Networks / Cyber, Pentagon, acquisition, artificial intelligence, cloud computing, Gen. Michael Groen, Innovation, JAIC, Joint Artificial Intelligence Center, Joint Common Foundation >
- Business Insider 22:54November 24, 2020Trump loyalist put in top Pentagon post after purge 2 weeks ago now leads transition to incoming Biden administrationKash Patel, the new chief of staff to the defense secretary, has only been on the job at the Pentagon for two weeks.
< Military & Defense Contributors, Politics, News, Donald Trump, Pentagon, Joe Biden, Transition >
- Breaking Defense 12:01November 23, 2020Chinese Party Sets Bold Military Goal: ‘Mechanized & Informationized’ By 2027This marks Dean Cheng’s first op-ed for us as a member of the Breaking Defense Board of Contributors. One of the world’s preeminent experts on the Chinese military, Cheng demonstrates here the sophistication and subtlety of analysis he is known for. What does the west need to do to better manage its relationships with China…
< Allies, Pentagon, Threats, Belt and Road Initiative, China, op-ed. op-eds. commentary, peoples liberation army >
- Breaking Defense 19:38November 20, 2020Aircraft Readiness Is Bad & Getting Worse: GAOOf 46 types of aircraft surveyed – from the new F-35 to the aging JSTARS – not one met the Pentagon’s goal of being 80 percent “mission capable.” Most of them, in fact, keep getting worse.
< Air Warfare, Congress, Pentagon, AH-64 Apache, air force, army, E-6 Mercury, E-8, f-15, F-18, f-35 joint strike fighter, GAO, Government Accountability Office, JSTARS, marines, military readiness, navy, operations and maintenance, Supply Chain >
- Breaking Defense 11:59November 19, 2020Use Legacy Systems as Tech Playgrounds for InnovationThe Pentagon must avoid the ancient Roman tactic of “burning the bridge behind them” by immediately throwing aside older weapons systems in favor of wholesale investments in new technologies and platforms. While force modernization is necessary, the Department of Defense does not have the time, track record, or the funding to rapidly field replacements to…
< Air Warfare, Land Warfare, Pentagon, defense modernization, IVAS, Joint Artificial Intelligence Center JAIC, Nand Mulchandani, op-ed. op-eds. commentary, Rep. Adam Smith >
- Breaking Defense 01:34November 19, 2020Army Will Protect Key Weapons From Post-COVID Cuts: PasquaretteWhen defense budgets fell in the past, “the easy button” has been cutting modernization to protect manpower and readiness, Lt. Gen. James Pasquarette says. “It’s going to be different this time.” around.”
< Land Warfare, Pentagon, 2021 budget, 2022-2026 FYDP, 31 Army priority programs, AN/TPQ-53, army, Army Futures Command, Army G-8, Big Six, continuing resolution, COVID-19 coronavirus, Extended Range Cannon Artillery, Gen. James Pasquarette >
- Breaking Defense 00:56November 19, 2020What Acting SecDef Miller’s Special Ops Shift MeansThe move “will put special operations command on par with the military services for the first time,” acting SecDef Chris Miller announced today
< Congress, Pentagon, Christopher Miller, Defense Secretary Mark Esper, ezra cohen-watnick, Fort Bragg, James Anderson, SO/LIC, socom, special operations forces >
- Breaking Defense 15:01November 18, 2020Biden Transition: We Can’t Afford Time To Humor TrumpThe transition from one president to another is not a formality, nor is it inconsequential. The 911 Commission found that the transition from President Clinton to President Bush contributed to the senior leadership missing the clues that al Qaeda planned to attack America. In September, the co-chairmen of the 911 Commission wrote this: “To be…
< Congress, Pentagon, Threats, Joe BIden, Joe Biden transition, op-ed. op-eds. commentary >
- Breitbart News 00:51November 18, 2020Acting Defense Secretary Chris Miller Announces Troop Drawdown to 2,500 in Afghanistan and IraqActing Defense Secretary Chris Miller announced a U.S. troop withdrawal down to 2,500 in Afghanistan and Iraq, consistent with President Trump's promises to bring U.S. troops home and in furtherance of his goal to end the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.
< National Security, Politics, Afghanistan, Chris Miller, Department of Defense, Donald Trump, Iraq, military, Pentagon >
- Business Insider 22:36November 17, 2020Trump orders the Pentagon to pull thousands of US troops out of Iraq and AfghanistanBy Jan. 15, 2021, there will be 2,500 troops in Iraq and 2,500 in Afghanistan, a reduction of thousands of US military personnel.
< Military & Defense, Politics, News, Military, Afghanistan, Iraq, Pentagon, Donald Trump >
- Breaking Defense 22:01November 17, 2020Departing Navy Secretary Pushes For New Pacific Fleet Vs. ChinaOusted SecDef Esper liked the idea, but Navy Sec. Braithwaite – with just two months left in office — hasn’t spoken about it with the new Acting Secretary before rolling the idea out today.
< Allies, Naval Warfare, Pentagon, 2020 Trump-Biden transition, China, Christopher Miller, Defense Secretary Mark Esper, India, Indo-Pacific Command, INDOPACOM, Kenneth Braithwaite, naval submarine league, navy, Navy Secretary, Pacific, seapower, singapore >
- Business Insider 15:01November 15, 2020Joe Biden is expected to make history by appointing a woman to head the Pentagon for the first timeMichele Flournoy, a politically moderate Pentagon veteran, is regarded by US officials as a top choice for the defense secretary position.
< Military & Defense, UK Weekend, News UK, Biden administration, The Pentagon >
- Breitbart News 00:20November 15, 2020Acting Defense Secretary Chris Miller Hints at U.S. Troop Withdrawal in Memo: 'It's Time to Come Home'Miller issued a memo on Saturday to the entire Defense Department that hinted of a coming U.S. withdrawal from Afghanistan.
< 2020 Election, Politics, Afghanistan, Afghanistan war, Chris Miller, Defense Department, dod, Pentagon >
- Business Insider 07:23November 14, 2020'All wars must end': Top US military official reportedly acknowledges 'it's time to come home' in memo"All wars must end," the acting defense secretary reportedly said in a recent memo to Defense Department employees.
< Military & Defense, Politics, News, International, Donald Trump, Mark Esper, Defense Department, Department of Defense, Pentagon, Chris Miller >
- Breaking Defense 01:47November 14, 2020Vice Chair Joint Chiefs Hyten To Leave Next YearA new rule passed by Congress in 2017 requires that the vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs serve four-year terms. A second term would have meant Hyten would be in office for six years and worn the uniform for 44 years.
< Congress, Pentagon, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs, Gen. John Hyten, Gen. Mark Milley, NDAA 2017, vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs >
- Breaking Defense 01:19November 13, 2020Starting Dec. 1, Cybersecurity Is No Longer Optional“This is the start of a new day in the Department of Defense where cybersecurity, as we’ve been saying for years is foundational for acquisitions, we’re putting our money where our mouth is. We mean it,” Katie Arrington says.
< Networks / Cyber, Pentagon, Chinese cyber espionage, CMMC, cyber espionage, cybersecurity, Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification, Katie Arrington, Supply Chain >
- Breaking Defense 20:09November 12, 2020DES: Multi-Billion Dollar Effort To Modernize DoD’s ‘Fourth Estate’An exclusive Breaking Defense interview with Don Means, DISA’s Defense Enclave Services Executive, on the DES network modernization effort for independent DoD agencies and commands.
< Networks / Cyber, Pentagon, cloud computing, COVID-19 coronavirus, defense enclave services, DISA, Don Means, Fourth Estate, JEDI, Joint Artificial Intelligence Center JAIC, Microsoft, office 365, Perspecta Spotlight 2020, presented by perspecta >
- Breaking Defense 15:01November 12, 2020Dunlap Unveils First ‘Global’ ABMS ExerciseThe F-35, the F-22, “even a KC-46 tanker” and ground assets will be able to share data in fiscal 2022, Dunlap says.
Later in the year, the Air Force will take a KC-46 tanker, and put that same communications capability on it so forces can “move data in a much wider bandwidth to many more forces.
< Air Warfare, Networks / Cyber, Pentagon, 2021 appropriations, Advanced Battle Management System ABMS, All Domain Operations, f-22, F-35, Gen. John Hyten, Government Accountability Office, House Appropriations committee, Joint All Domain Command and Control JADC2, Preston Dunlap Interview 2020, Senate Appropriations Committee, Will Roper, XQ-58A Valkyrie >
- Business Insider 05:39November 12, 2020'A lot of potential danger': Trump is packing top Pentagon positions with loyalists, and people are worried because they don't know whyLawmakers and defense officials are increasingly alarmed about the drastic personnel moves Trump has taken in the days after his election defeat.
< Military & Defense, Politics, Donald Trump, Pentagon, Purge, Firing, Mark Esper >
- Breaking Defense 01:58November 12, 2020White House Presses Army, Air Force To Help Pay For Larger NavyTwo sources have told BD that the Trump Administration is strongly considering releasing a 2022 federal budget before Joe Biden’s Jan. 20 inauguration, a move meant to throw down markers for government spending.
< Naval Warfare, Pentagon, 500 ship navy, navy >
- Breaking Defense 22:13November 11, 2020JAIC Chief Asks: Can AI Prevent Another 1914?AI will help commanders make sound decisions so much faster, said Lt. Gen. Michael Groen, that waging war without it will work as well as cavalry charging machine guns on the Western Front.
< Networks / Cyber, Pentagon, All Domain Operations, All Domain Series 2020, artificial intelligence, cavalry, command and control, Gen. Michael Groen, JADC2, JAIC, John Boyd, Joint All Domain Command and Control, Joint Artificial Intelligence Center, networks, OODA Loop, world war i, world war II >
- Business Insider 15:00November 11, 2020'These are dictator moves': Defense officials alarmed as Trump installs more loyalists at the PentagonFour defense officials, including Secretary of State Mark Epser, have left their posts since Trump lost the election last week.
< Politics, News, Trump, Election 2020, Pentagon >
- Business Insider 02:50November 11, 2020Top defense intelligence official and former SEAL Team 6 commander walks off the job amid post-election Pentagon purgeBoth the Pentagon's top intelligence and policy officials resigned Tuesday, just one day after President Trump fired his defense secretary.
< Military & Defense, Politics, Pentagon, Intelligence, Policy, Donald Trump, Election 2020 >
- Breaking Defense 22:13November 10, 2020DoD Policy Chief Quits As Leadership Vacuum ExpandsAnthony Tata, who called President Obama a “terrorist leader” now runs the Pentagon’s policy office
< Congress, Pentagon, Anthony Tata, Defense Secretary Mark Esper, DOD, James Anderson, John Rood, pentagon >
- Business Insider 21:58November 10, 2020The retired general and Trump ally who called Obama a 'terrorist leader' is taking over the Pentagon's top policy jobThe Fox News guest was tapped by the White House for the post this past summer, but that effort failed. Then the administration found another way in.
< Military & Defense, Politics, Anthony Tata, Pentagon >
- Business Insider 20:16November 10, 2020The Pentagon's top policy official resigned the day after Trump 'terminated' his defense secretaryUnder Secretary of Defense for Policy James Anderson had clashed with the White House over attempts to put controversial people at the Pentagon.
< Military & Defense, Politics, Pentagon, Policy, Resignation, Donald Trump, White House, Fired, Mark Esper >
- Breitbart News 22:52November 9, 2020'Terminated': President Trump Fires Defense Secretary Mark Esper in Long-Expected MovePresident Donald Trump fired Defense Secretary Mark Esper on Monday, in a long-anticipated move.
< 2020 Election, Politics, Army Secretary Mark Esper, Department of Defense, James Mattis, Mark Esper, Pentagon >
- Breaking Defense 22:04November 9, 2020Trump Fires Esper; Former White House Counterterror Official Takes OverAfter months of speculation, Esper meets the fate of so many other officials over the past four years and is fired by Tweet
< Congress, Pentagon, Christopher Miller, Defense Secretary Mark Esper, Donald Trump, Gen. Mark Milley, special operations forces >
- Huffington Post UK 21:27November 9, 2020Donald Trump Fires Defense Secretary Mark Esper
< uk news, Donald Trump, us news, Politics, us politics, The Pentagon, Mark Esper, news, donald-trump, us-news, politics, us-politics, the-pentagon, mark-esper, NEWS >
- Breaking Defense 15:00November 9, 2020The Pentagon’s Plans To Network EVERYTHING: FaistThe military sees huge potential in tiny electronics to revolutionize warfare with swarms of expendable, interconnected drones. But it doesn’t want to repeat the mistakes of the F-35 by building a single multi-service mega-program to build them.
< Networks / Cyber, Pentagon, acquisition, acquisition reform, aesa, artificial intelligence, Connected Battlespace Series, cyber warfare, drones, edge computing, electromagnetic spectrum, electronic warfare, f-35 joint strike fighter, JADC2, James Faist, Joint All Domain Command and Control, microelectronics, networks, undersecretary for research and engineering >
- Breaking Defense 19:32November 6, 2020DISA: Cloud-Based Browsing Will Save $300MInstead of users connecting directly to websites, the new Cloud-Based Internet Isolation (CBII) system acts as a middleman, reducing bandwidth and blocking malware.
< Networks / Cyber, Pentagon, Adm. Nancy Norton, cbii, cloud based internet isolation, cloud computing, cyber, cybersecurity, Defense Information Systems Agency, DISA, dtic, networks >
- Breaking Defense 01:19November 6, 2020Navy Contract Marks Start Of Building Next Gen BoomersToday’s $9.4 billion award to General Dynamics Electric Boat kicks off construction on the first of 12 Columbia-class submarines.
< Congress, Naval Warfare, Pentagon, Columbia-class submarine, electric boat, General Dynamics, navy >
- Breaking Defense 01:30November 5, 20205G Experiments In US Pave Way To Battlefields AbroadHaving awarded $600 million for 5G pilots at five bases in the US, the Pentagon will formally solicit for seven more in the coming months. But will 5G work in war zones?
< Allies, Networks / Cyber, Pentagon, 5G networks, acquisition, air force, army, command and control, Information Warfare Research Project, JADC2, Joint All Domain Command and Control, Joseph Evans, marines, National Spectrum Consortium, navy, networks, undersecretary for research and engineering >
- Breaking Defense 15:01November 4, 2020Military AI Is Bigger Than Just The Kill Chain: JAIC Chief“Being able to take out 10 targets in rapid succession…that’s very exciting. It’s awesome,” said Lt. Gen. Michael Green. “But it’s not enough.”
< Networks / Cyber, Pentagon, AI ethics, artificial intelligence, big data, Connected Battlespace Series, Gen. Michael Groen, JADC2, JAIC, Joint All Domain Command and Control, Joint Artificial Intelligence Center, Joint Common Foundation, NDIA JADC2 conference 2020, networks >
- Breaking Defense 20:13November 3, 2020Navy To Congress: Here’s Your F-35C Carrier — How Do We Pay For ItThe Navy awarded a big contract to modify its newest aircraft carrier — tossing the ball back to Capitol Hill which demanded the work, but neglected to provide funding.
< Congress, Naval Warfare, Pentagon, 2021 budget, 2022 budget, 355 ship Navy, 500 ship navy, carriers, f-35 joint strike fighter, Ford-class aircraft carrier, navy, shipbuilding, USS John F Kennedy CVN-79 >
- Breaking Defense 00:37November 3, 2020On Eve of Election, US Kicks Off Cost Sharing Talks With JapanGiven the deal’s March expiration, and despite the upcoming US election, the State Department’s R. Clarke Cooper said “it’s incumbent upon us and our Japanese counterparts to actually continue to maintain focus on the negotiations now.”
< Allies, Pentagon, China, Defense Secretary Mark Esper, diplomacy, Germany, Indo-Pacific, Japan, NATO, Palau, R. Clarke Cooper, south korea, State Department, taiwan, Trump >
- Breaking Defense 22:58October 30, 2020Some Democrats Sour On F-35 Sale To UAE“The Trump Administration has made it clear that they’ll put lethal weaponry in just about anyone’s hands without regard to potential loss of life so long as the check clears,” Rep. Eliot Engel says.
< Air Warfare, Congress, Pentagon, Benjamin Netanyahu, f-35 joint strike fighter, Finland, House Foreign Affairs Committee, Israel, NATO, Rep. Eliot Engel, S-400, Sen. Bob Menedez, Sen. Diane Feinstein, Senate Foreign Relations Committ, turkey, UAE >
- Breaking Defense 21:17October 30, 2020DEOS: ‘No One Looks Like Real Winners’ In Re-Award To GDITLike JEDI, DEOS is a multi-billion dollar cloud program held up for months by protests from losing bidders. This morning, the Pentagon reaffirmed General Dynamics as the winner, but cut the contract’s estimated value nearly in half.
< Networks / Cyber, Pentagon, acquisition, Amazon, Bill Greenwalt, cloud computing, CRSA, DEOS, General Dynamics, GSA, JEDI, Joint Enterprise Defense Infrastructure, Microsoft, networks, Perspecta, software >
- Breaking Defense 21:12October 30, 2020Why Those 780 Top National Security Leaders Support BidenSpeaking publicly and in alarming terms about a partisan political issue does not come naturally to retired generals and former senior national security leaders. These public servants, many of them wartime commanders and leaders, are not given to histrionics or hyperbole. So when hundreds (it’s now up to 780) of national security leaders – including 22 retired…
< Allies, Congress, Pentagon, 2020 election, allies, NATO, President Donald Trump, Russia >
- Breaking Defense 19:55October 30, 2020North Korea’s Hackers Target Tech SecretsThe alert “should raise concern for those simply focused on China or Russia as the core threat to our national security,” says Eric Noonan, CEO of security firm CyberSheath.
< Networks / Cyber, Pentagon, cisa, cybersecurity, Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification, hacking, North Korea >
- Breaking Defense 23:00October 29, 2020Dems Likely To War Over Defense After Election; Navy A Big Target: HASC Chair SmithSmith sees a blue wave as exposing fissures within the party over “how much do you spend on defense, and what does your presence in the world look like,” Smith said, noting that progressives are skeptical about defense spending and overseas deployments
< Naval Warfare, Pentagon, 2021 budget, 355 ship Navy, 500 ship navy, China, house amred services committee, Rep. Adam Smith, Russia >
- Breaking Defense 20:42October 29, 2020Pentagon Unveils Spectrum Strategy; Five Eyes TalkingMilitary technology often lags so far behind Silicon Valley, one defense official says, that much of the Pentagon is “in the Fred Flintstone era,” while the cutting edge is, “past the Jetsons.”
< Allies, Networks / Cyber, Pentagon, electromagnetic spectrum, Electromagnetic Spectrum Operations Cross Functional Team, Electromagnetic Spectrum Superiority Strategy 2020, electronic warfare, Five Eyes, Gen. John Hyten, JADC2, Joint All Domain Command and Control, networks >
- Breaking Defense 01:00October 29, 2020Trump Admin Sets Allied Defense Spending Targets, Taiwan Deals Lead Way“If anything, the provocations are coming from Beijing. The bullying behavior…is where the provocateurs lie, not with Taiwan [which is] maintaining its own self defense,” a top State Department official says.
< Allies, Naval Warfare, Pentagon, 2 percent spending target, australia, Boeing, China, Defense Secretary Mark Esper, fms, foreign military sales, japen, lockheed martin, NATO, R. Clarke Cooper, Raytheon, Robert O'Brien, sanctions, taiwan, UK >
- Breaking Defense 16:00October 28, 2020DARPA AI Builds New Networks On The FlyMilitary hierarchies are, by necessity, rigid structures. DARPA’s ‘Mosaic Warfare’ project aims for something much more fluid and adaptable, with AI doing the logistical grunt work so human commanders can get creative.
< Air Warfare, Networks / Cyber, Pentagon, artificial intelligence, darpa, interoperability, JADC2, Joint All Domain Command and Control, Joint All Domain Operations, mosaic warfare, NDIA JADC2 conference 2020, networks, software, STITCHES, Timothy Grayson >
- Breaking Defense 21:15October 27, 2020NSA O’Brien’s Latest Audible on Navy Plans: Calls For More Frigates, FasterIt’s unclear if Robert O’Brien’s calls for hypersonic missiles on destroyers and building more frigates indicate he is inserting himself in Pentagon budget planning.
< Congress, Naval Warfare, Pentagon, 2020 election, 2020 elections, 355 ship Navy, Constellation-class frigates, Defense Secretary Mark Esper, Fincantieri Marine, frigates, hypersonics, Kenneth Braithwaite, national security council, Robert O'Brien, shipbuilding >
- Breaking Defense 20:36October 27, 2020Israel To Get Direct Access To SBIRS Sats & More F-35 Capabilities; Esper VisitingTEL AVIV: The United States, pressed by Israeli Defense Minister Benny Gantz In Washington last week, will grant Israel direct access to highly classified satellites such as the missile detection birds known as SBIRS and ensure Israel gets critical defense platforms in a very short time by using production slots planned for the U.S armed forces.…
< Air Warfare, Pentagon, space >