- Business Insider 15:50April 10, 2021Corporate America wants to avoid higher taxes and social issues. That's not likely to happen.On a range of political issues, businesses have felt compelled to speak out. But many are silent when it comes to tax hikes, if not hostile.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, analysis, Delta, Coca-Cola, Georgia, Joe Biden, Infrastructure, Democrats, Republicans, Mitch McConnell, infrastructure plan, Stimulus, Voting Rights, Policy, Economy >
- The Guardian 15:07April 10, 2021‘Truth will prevail’: Matt Gaetz takes break from scandal to speak at Trump clubCongressman faces allegations over sex, drugs and nude photosWomen for America First also helped organise 6 January rallyThe Florida congressman Matt Gaetz insisted on Friday “the truth will prevail” over allegations of sex trafficking and illegal drug use which have pitched him into the centre of a congressional scandal. Related: Republican Matt Gaetz faces calls to resign from member of his own party Continue reading...
< Republicans, US Congress, House of Representatives, US politics, US news, Donald Trump, World news >
- The Guardian 02:05April 10, 2021Republican Matt Gaetz faces calls to resign from member of his own partyAdam Kinzinger tweeted that congressman ‘needs to resign’ and linked to article claiming Gaetz paid $900 to accused sex traffickerThe House ethics committee on Friday announced it will open an investigation into the Republican congressman Matt Gaetz, amid a widening scandal involving allegations related to sex trafficking.In a statement the committee said it was aware of the public allegations that Gaetz may have engaged in “sexual misconduct and/or illicit drug use, shared inappropriate images or videos on the House floor, misused state identification records, converted campaign funds to personal use, and/or accepted a bribe, improper gratuity, or impermissible gift, in violation of House Rules, laws, or other standards of conduct.” Continue reading...
< Republicans, US politics, US news, World news >
- Business Insider 00:52April 10, 2021Rep. Katie Porter calls Biden's move to split up his infrastructure package 'a big mistake'Talking to Axios, Porter criticized the White House decision to put jobs and family policies in two plans, arguing there's no difference between them.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Policy, Joe Biden, Katie Porter, Republicans, Democrats, Economy, Infrastructure, infrastructure bill, infrastructure plan, infrastructure spending >
- New York Magazine 22:31April 9, 2021Trump and Rubio, Best of FrenemiesRubio seems as tormented as ever by the man who rolled over him five years ago.
< politics, marco rubio, donald trump, 2016 presidential election, vision 2020, capitol riot, electoral vote count, jeb bush, lindsey graham, rand paul, ted cruz, 2022 midterms, ivanka trump, republicans, immigration >
- Business Insider 22:16April 9, 2021The Republican National Committee is shelling out over $100,000 for a 400-person dinner at Trump's Mar-a-Lago resort"Mar-a-Lago and Palm Beach are the center of the Republican universe right now," a spokesman for Trump told The Washington Post.
< Politics, News, Donald Trump, RNC, Republican National Committee, mar-a-lago, Mar-a-Lago resort, Florida, Republicans, Congress, GOP >
- Business Insider 19:25April 9, 2021John Boehner says his time as House speaker was like being the 'mayor' of a 'Crazytown' full of 'jackasses'"I don't even think I could get elected in today's Republican Party anyway," Boehner writes in his new book, per an excerpt from the Washington Post.
< Politics, News, John Boehner, Congress, Republicans, Donald Trump, GOP, Democrats >
- Business Insider 18:24April 9, 2021What Biden's $1.5 trillion 'skinny budget' shows about how he wants the next year to goBiden's budget shows an intention to ramp up federal spending on education, health, and climate initiatives. Military spending would remain the same.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Policy, Federal Budget, Joe Biden, Donald Trump, Trump administration, Republicans, Democrats, Infrastructure, Stimulus, Medicaid, Economy >
- New York Magazine 17:00April 9, 2021What Is the Republican Party’s Position on Voting Rights?The implicit GOP position is to defer to states and localities — so far as their decisions help Republicans.
< politics, voting rights, republicans, democrats, for the people act, john lewis voting rights act, shelby county v. holder, donald trump, voter fraud, heritage foundation, election coup, capitol riot, electoral vote count >
- The Guardian 16:51April 9, 2021Biden to lay out spending plans after assailing ‘epidemic’ of gun violence – US politics livePresident to preview spending priorities for his administrationCoronavirus taskforce to give update as vaccine rollout continuesRevealed: Republican-led states spending big on execution drugs 2.51pm BST Congressman Adam Kinzinger of Illinois became the first Republican lawmaker to call on his colleague, Congressman Matt Gaetz of Florida, to resign amid allegations of sex-trafficking. “Matt Gaetz needs to resign,” Kinzinger said in a Tweet, in which he linked to a report by the Daily Beast detailing Venmo transactions between Gaetz and accused sex trafficker Joel Greenberg in 2018. Matt Gaetz needs to resign. https://t.co/AygfqAxQJX via @thedailybeast Related: Republican Matt Gaetz faces calls to resign from member of his own party 2.07pm BST Good morning and welcome to the Guardian’s coverage of the day in US politics. All is relatively quiet this morning in Washington. Joe Biden has no public events scheduled for today, but he may take a few questions at the start of his economic briefing around 2.30pm. Continue reading...
< US politics, US news, Democrats, Republicans, World news, US Congress, Joe Biden >
- Business Insider 16:39April 9, 2021Former GOP House Speaker John Boehner says he wishes he'd fought against Bill Clinton's impeachment by RepublicansBoehner wrote that Clinton's impeachment was a political effort by his party to win House seats in the midterms.
< Politics, News, John Boehner, Bill Clinton, Bill Clinton impeachment, Impeachment, Republicans, GOP >
- Business Insider 08:47April 9, 2021GOP Rep. Adam Kinzinger said Rep. Matt Gaetz 'needs to resign' amid sex-trafficking investigationKinzinger is the first Republican in Congress to call for Gaetz's resignation after a new report surfaced saying Gaetz sent money to an accused sex trafficker.
< Politics, Matt Gaetz, Adam Kinzinger, Republicans, Congress, Sex Trafficking >
- Business Insider 23:07April 8, 2021'Run, Ron, Run!': Trump urges his staunch ally Sen. Ron Johnson, who downplayed the Capitol riot, to seek reelection"He has no idea how popular he is," former President Donald Trump said in a statement. "Run, Ron, Run!"
< Politics, News, Ron Johnson, Donald Trump, Elections, Senate, Republicans, Congress, capitol riot >
- New York Magazine 22:20April 8, 2021A Dwindling Republican Party May Be Doomed to Shrink MoreThe trouble with losing swing voters is that it can make the residual party base more entrenched in its exclusive ways.
< politics, party affiliation, republicans, democrats, independents, donald trump, maga, post-election analysis >
- Business Insider 18:24April 8, 2021Former top Trump economic advisor said he supports Biden's 28% corporate tax rate in resurfaced video"I'm actually okay at 28%," Gary Cohn told Yahoo Finance last year. That's exactly the rate Biden wants corporate tax rates to go back to, from 21%.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Gary Cohn, Trump Tax Law, Trump tax cuts, Donald Trump, Joe Biden, White House, Economy, Republicans, Democrats, Policy, Corporate Tax Rate, corporate tax reform, Corporate taxes, Infrastructure, infrastructure bill, infrastructure plan, infrastructure spending, Corporate Tax >
- The Guardian 16:12April 8, 2021Joe Biden to announce executive actions to address gun violence – liveActions include regulations on ‘ghost guns’ and pistolsFull report: Biden to tackle gun violence with executive actionsSign up to receive First Thing – our daily briefing by email 2.10pm BST Joe Biden is also planning to nominate David Chipman, a former federal agent and gun control advocate, to lead the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. Chipman currently serves as a senior adviser to the gun control group Giffords. The group was formed after a shooter attacked then-congresswoman Gabby Giffords and 18 others at an Arizona supermarket in 2011. Related: Biden to tackle gun violence with executive actions on ‘ghost guns’ and pistols 1.57pm BST Greetings from Washington, live blog readers.Joe Biden will hold an event in the White House Rose Garden later today to formally announce the executive actions he is taking to address gun violence. The actions include a directive that the justice department, within the next month, issue proposed regulations on ‘ghost guns’ – unregistered firearms that can be assembled from parts.Biden will also direct the justice department to clarify regulations to ensure that pistols fitted with stabilizing braces, which essentially transform them into rifles, will be regulated under the National Firearms Act. Pistols are cheaper, and easier to carry across state lines, whereas rifles are more regulated. ... Continue reading...
< US politics, Joe Biden, Biden administration, US gun control, Republicans, Democrats, US news >
- The Guardian 03:44April 8, 2021Caitlyn Jenner reportedly considering run for California governorFormer Trump aides advising TV star and Olympic champion for potential run against Gavin Newsom in possible recall electionCaitlyn Jenner, the TV star and Olympic champion, is reportedly considering a run for California governor. Continue reading...
< Caitlyn Jenner, California, Republicans, US news, US politics >
- Business Insider 23:06April 7, 2021Biden warns China is 'racing ahead' of the US in a fiery speech bashing Republicans who oppose his infrastructure planBiden warned China is "counting on American democracy to be too slow, too limited, and too divided to keep up the pace."
< Politics, News, Joe Biden, Infrastructure, Republicans, China >
- Business Insider 22:31April 7, 2021Biden wants a 28% corporate tax rate because he's 'sick and tired of ordinary people being fleeced'President Joe Biden cited a recent report from a left-leaning think tank that indicated 55 large US companies paid no federal income tax last year.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Joe Biden, Congress, Republicans, Democrats, Infrastructure, Stimulus, Jobs, Corporate taxes, Donald Trump, GOP tax law, Policy, Economy >
- Business Insider 21:14April 7, 2021The Biden administration starts selling major corporate tax hikes while opening the door to a compromiseThe Treasury released a 17-page report designed as a sales pitch as the White House moves to shore up support for its huge $2 trillion jobs package.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Policy, Janet Yellen, Joe Biden, Treasury Department, Congress, Republicans, Democrats, Corporate taxes, Amazon, Jeff Bezos, Infrastructure, Stimulus, Climate Change, Green Energy, Economy >
- Breitbart News 03:00April 7, 2021Andrew Cuomo's New York: Illegal Aliens to Get $1.1B More in Taxpayer-Funded Aid Than Small BusinessesNearly 200,000 illegal aliens living in New York will soon receive $2.1 billion in taxpayer-funded stimulus checks and unemployment benefits thanks to a budget agreed upon by Gov. Andrew Cuomo.
< Economy, Immigration, Politics, Andrew Cuomo, coronavirus, Democrats, Illegal Aliens, illegal immigration, mass immigration, New York, Republicans, stimulus checks, unemployment benefits >
- Business Insider 22:21April 6, 2021The White House says it wants to pass Biden's infrastructure package by the summer, sooner than expectedThe Biden administration laid out an ambitious timeline to enact a huge jobs plan within months as Republican opposition to it further hardens.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Congress, Democrats, Republicans, Nancy Pelosi, Joe Biden, jen psaki, Stimulus, Jobs, Infrastructure, Joe Manchin, Mitch McConnell, Policy, Economy, Reconciliation >
- Business Insider 17:52April 6, 2021Former Trump staffers are facing a 'job desert' in Washington after the Capitol siegeArmstrong Williams, a Trump world insider, told The Post that he's seen "many, many people" lose job offers following the Capitol riot.
< Politics, News, Donald Trump, Trump administration, Trump White House, Reince Preibus, Republicans, GOP, Washington >
- New York Magazine 03:12April 6, 2021Democrats Get One More Big Bill This Year That Cannot Be FilibusteredThe Senate Parliamentarian agrees with Schumer’s multiple reconciliation bill theory, which could make Republican obstruction irrelevant.
< politics, congressional budget process, budget reconciliation, chuck schumer, joe biden, republicans, infrastructure, american jobs plan, american rescue plan, covid-19 stimulus, senate parliamentarian, elizabeth macdonough >
- The Guardian 16:27April 5, 2021Biden faces Democratic and Republican hurdles over $2tn infrastructure plan – livePresident tries to build momentum in Congress to pass planRepublicans and Democrats raise concern over tax-rise plansHow Biden’s $2tn infrastructure plan seeks to achieve racial justice 2.27pm BST Joe Biden has said his $2tn plan to rebuild America’s “crumbling” roads, bridges, railways and other infrastructure would rival the space race in its ambition and deliver economic and social change on a scale as grand as the New Deal. The president has also vowed his “once-in-a-generation” investment will reverse long-standing racial disparities exacerbated by past national mobilizations.Embedded in his sprawling infrastructure agenda, the first part of which Biden unveiled this week, are hundreds of billions of dollars dedicated to projects and investments the administration says will advance racial equity in employment, housing, transportation, healthcare and education, while improving economic outcomes for communities of color. Related: How Biden's $2tn infrastructure plan seeks to achieve racial justice 2.08pm BST Greetings from Washington, live blog readers.Joe Biden and his administration are frantically trying to build momentum in Congress to pass the president’s $2tn infrastructure plan. Rep. Peter DeFazio (D., Ore.), the chairman of the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, said he didn’t think paying for the full cost of the plan through tax increases was necessary. Mr. DeFazio said he would support an increase in the gas and diesel tax to pay for the new investments over time, as well as more borrowing to cover part of the cost. ...Rep. Josh Gottheimer (D., N.J.) said he wanted to see the Biden administration consider alternatives to the corporate tax increases to try to court Republican support. ‘I think on the corporate piece, if it’s a nonstarter for the Republicans and it means we can’t get bipartisanship, I’m eager to hear their other ideas,’ he said, listing user fees as one possibility. Continue reading...
< US news, World news, Joe Biden, Democrats, Republicans, US politics >
- The Guardian 21:32April 4, 2021Who needs Twitter? Trump wishes happy Easter to 'radical left crazies'Ex-president marks holy day with brief, abusive statementTrump ‘money bomb’ raised millions from unwitting donorsDonald Trump is reportedly working on a social media platform of his own, after being banned from Twitter and Facebook for inciting the Capitol riot. Related: Dominion: will one Canadian company bring down Trump's empire of disinformation? Continue reading...
< Donald Trump, Easter, Life and style, US news, US politics, Republicans, Twitter, Technology, Social media, Media, World news >
- The Guardian 20:46April 4, 2021Republicans claim Biden $2tn infrastructure plan a partisan tax hikePresident proposes environmental measures and tax risesMississippi governor cites Green New Deal, a GOP bogeyRepublicans opposed to Joe Biden’s proposed $2tn infrastructure bill claimed on Sunday that it was effectively a partisan tax hike that allocated too much money to electric vehicles and other environmental initiatives. Related: Florida faces 'imminent' pollution catastrophe from phosphate mine pond Continue reading...
< Biden administration, Joe Biden, Pete Buttigieg, US domestic policy, US economy, US politics, US taxation, US news, Republicans, Democrats, World news >
- Business Insider 20:04April 4, 2021Republicans are touting benefits of $1.9 trillion COVID-19 relief bill despite voting against itThe package, which included direct payments and funding for state and local governments, did not receive a single GOP vote in the House or Senate.
< Politics, Congressional Republicans, COVID-19 relief bill, Madison Cawthorn, Roger Wicker, Mitch McConnell, Healthcare, Restaurant Industry, Stimulus, 2022 elections >
- Business Insider 12:41April 4, 2021Donald Trump has expanded his list of 'woke' companies to boycott, due to their opposition of Georgia's voting lawAs Trump doubled down on his boycott calls, Barack Obama on Saturday issued a statement supporting the MLB's decision to relocate its All-Star game.
< News, Politics, Weekend BI UK, Trump, Georgia, Voting, Boycott, Republicans, "60 Days In" >
- Breitbart News 20:38April 3, 2021Republicans Slam Major League Baseball for All-Star Game Relocation HypocrisyRepublicans slammed Major League Baseball (MLB) for canceling their All-Star Game in Atlanta over a new Georgia state law requiring voter identification.
< Politics, Social Justice, Sports, Ann Wagner, Atlanta, Brian Kemp, Donald Trump, Jack Posobiec, Mike Lee, Mike Pompeo, MLB, Republicans, Ted Cruz, Voter ID Laws >
- The Guardian 16:21April 3, 2021'A 10ft pole is not long enough': Matt Gaetz isolated in sex-trafficking scandalDonald Trump reportedly advised to keep quiet about allyOpinion: sleazy Matt Gaetz saga grows ever more disturbingThe Florida Republican congressman Matt Gaetz appears increasingly politically isolated amid a spiralling scandal over a federal sex-trafficking investigation. Even for Donald Trump, one Republican political operative said, “a 10ft pole is not long enough”.Federal prosecutors are reportedly examining whether Gaetz and a political ally facing sex trafficking allegations may have paid underage girls or offered them gifts in exchange for sex. Continue reading...
< Republicans, US news, World news, US politics, House of Representatives, US Congress >
- Business Insider 21:10April 2, 2021Fox News is silent on bombshell reports of Matt Gaetz's alleged sexual misconduct and possible sex trafficking of a minorSince Wednesday evening, media watchdogs report, the network hasn't mentioned Gaetz's name a single time.
< Politics, News, Media, Matt Gaetz, Republicans, GOP, Fox News Channel, Tucker Carlson >
- The Guardian(UK) 20:34April 2, 2021US Capitol under lockdown due to 'external security threat' – liveStaffers reportedly received text asking them to ‘seek cover’ if outsideVaccinated Americans can travel internationally with stricter guidelinesBiden celebrates latest jobs report: ‘Opportunity is coming’Economy adds 916,000 jobs as vaccine rollout fuels hiring boomVariants v vaccinations: what the dueling trends meanSign up to receive First Thing – our daily briefing by email 6.34pm BST The US Capitol Police has confirmed that two officers have been injured after a car attempted to run through a security checkpoint.“USCP is responding to the North Barricade vehicle access point along Independence Avenue for reports someone rammed a vehicle into two USCP officers,” the agency said in a statement on Twitter. CRITICAL INCIDENT: USCP is responding to the North Barricade vehicle access point along Independence Avenue for reports someone rammed a vehicle into two USCP officers. A suspect is in custody. Both officers are injured. All three have been transported to the hospital. pic.twitter.com/4TXIdulJc6 6.30pm BST A reporter asked White House press secretary Jen Psaki about the situation at the Capitol before she concluded her briefing.Asked who is traveling with Joe Biden to Camp David this weekend and may be able to keep him briefed on the situation, Psaki said the president “always travels with a national security rep”.WH Press Sec. Psaki is asked about the reports of gunfire at the U.S. Capitol and how Biden is alerted while off campus. pic.twitter.com/JOlHl90RD1 Continue reading...
< US politics, Joe Biden, Republicans, Democrats, US news, World news, US economy, Business >
- Business Insider 17:29April 2, 2021Former GOP House Speaker John Boehner calls Ted Cruz a 'reckless asshole who thinks he is smarter than everyone else' in book excerptBoehner had comparatively nicer things to say about former President Barack Obama, who he said was targeted by GOP "kooks" and conspiracy theorists.
< Politics, News, Ted Cruz, John Boehner, Republican, GOP, House Republicans >
- New York Magazine 03:35April 2, 2021Matt Gaetz’s Colleagues Drop the Dirt on HimLawmakers describe Gaetz’s alleged drug use and incidents in which he showed nude photos of women he slept with to colleagues on the House floor.
< gop, matt gaetz, house republicans >
- New York Magazine 00:37April 2, 2021Georgia Republicans Working Hard to Sabotage a 2022 ComebackGeorgia’s GOP could be upbeat heading towards the midterms. But the voting law debacle and a Trump purge could snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.
< politics, georgia voting law, georgia republicans, donald trump, geoff duncan, brian kemp, brad raffensperger, burt jones, georgia senate runoffs, raphael warnock, stacey abrams, voting rights, 2022 midterms, redistricting, election coup, vision 2020, joe biden >
- Business Insider 23:53March 31, 2021Biden unveils the first $2 trillion of his colossal 2-part infrastructure planThe two-part package could total $4 trillion, in what President Joe Biden called a "once-in-a-generation investment in America."
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Economy, Policy, Republicans, Joe Biden, Stimulus, Democrats, coronavirus stimulus, Infrastructure >
- New York Magazine 23:20March 31, 2021Poll Shows Gavin Newsom Is Well-Positioned for RecallIn a deep-blue state, Republicans alone cannot beat the California governor.
< politics, gavin newsom, california recall, republicans, democrats, covid-19 stimulus, french laundry scandal, school closures, lockdowns >
- New York Magazine 20:47March 31, 2021The Rotten Core of Republican Appeals to the Working ClassRepublicans are embracing the perilous tradition of producerism, offering working-class voters a mix of nativism, protectionism, and culture war.
< politics, republicans, jim banks, donald trump, kevin mccarthy, josh hawley, producerism, nativism, protectionism, anti-wokeness, fascism, andrew jackson, conservatism >
- Business Insider 23:52March 30, 2021Republicans slam vaccine passports as dystopian, but experts say they'll help us get back to normal fasterA vaccine passport "can make all the things we love to do safer: travel, going to a sporting event, getting back to work," one expert said.
< Politics, News, Vaccines, vaccine passport, Republicans, COVID-19, analysis >
- The Guardian 22:59March 30, 2021Hunter Biden calls Trump 'vile' in new book and denies Ukraine allegationsJoe Biden’s son will publish memoir next week‘I became a proxy for his fear he wouldn’t be re-elected’US politics – live coverageIn a keenly awaited memoir, Joe Biden’s son Hunter attacks Donald Trump as “a vile man with a vile mission” who plumbed “unprecedented depths” in last year’s US presidential election. Related: Want to book Donald or Melania for an event? Trump has a website for that Continue reading...
< US politics, US news, Joe Biden, World news, Democrats, Republicans, Donald Trump >
- Business Insider 17:10March 30, 2021Most Americans associate 'cancel culture' with social media and Hollywood, not the government: Insider pollJust 11% of respondents said they associate "cancel culture" with private companies, and 16% said they don't know what it means.
< Politics, INSIDER Data, cancel culture, Republicans >
- Breitbart News 20:00March 29, 2021Report: Democrats Used Filibuster 327 Times While Republicans Used It Once in 2020President Joe Biden has been critical of the Senate filibuster, describing it as a Jim Crow relic and claiming it has been abused, although Democrats reportedly used it more than 300 times in 2020 when Republicans only used it once.
< Politics, Pre-Viral, Social Justice, Democrats, Filibuster, Jim Crow, Joe Biden, Republicans >
- The Guardian 23:32March 27, 2021Republican senator Ted Cruz mocked for documentary-style trip to US-Mexico borderTexas lawmaker recounted his mission to shed light on what conservatives have dubbed an immigration crisisRepublican senator Ted Cruz has drawn criticism for taking a trip to America’s southern border as the conservative Texan politician once again became the butt of internet jokes and memes.In the style of a wildlife documentary, Cruz captured his experience with the help of professional photographers and shared his recent journey to the US-Mexico border Thursday night on social media, where he aimed to shed light on what Republicans have dubbed a crisis. Continue reading...
< Ted Cruz, Republicans, US-Mexico border, US immigration, Texas, US news >
- The Guardian 15:58March 27, 2021Trump and his allies push new Republican effort to restrict voting lawsTrump congratulated Georgia on its recent legislative move, which critics have slammed as a major blow to Black voters’ rightsA Republican lawyer who advised Donald Trump on his campaign to overturn the 2020 election results is now playing a central role coordinating the Republican effort to tighten voting laws around the country.The moves comes as Trump himself signaled his support for new Republican-pushed legislation in Georgia which critics have slammed as being a major blow to voting rights for communities of color, especially Black voters. Joe Biden called the Georgia laws “Jim Crow in the 21st Century” and “an atrocity”. Continue reading...
< Republicans, Donald Trump, US politics, US news, Georgia >
- Breitbart News 02:14March 27, 2021NBC’s Soboroff: 'Preposterous' GOP Senators 'Terrorizing' Children Seeking Asylum for Photo OpNBC correspondent Jacob Soboroff said Friday on MSNBC's "Deadline" that it was "preposterous" Sens. Ted Cruz (R-TX) and John Cornyn (R-TX) led a group of more than a dozen Republican senators to the Rio Grande Valley in Texas to see the surge of unaccompanied migrant children crossing into the United States.
< Clips, Immigration, Media, Alex Wagner, Jacob Soboroff, John Cornyn, Republicans, Ted Cruz, U.S.-Mexico border >
- The Guardian 22:32March 26, 2021'Jim Crow in the 21st century': Biden denounces Georgia Republicans over new voting lawPresident says new law represents ‘blatant attack on the constitution’ as voting rights activists vow to keep up the fightJoe Biden lambasted a new law in Georgia that imposes sweeping new voting restrictions, calling it “un-American” and “Jim Crow in the 21st century”.He said in a statement: “Instead of celebrating the rights of all Georgians to vote or winning campaigns on the merits of their ideas, Republicans in the state instead rushed through an un-American law to deny people the right to vote. This law, like so many others being pursued by Republicans in statehouses across the country, is a blatant attack on the constitution and good conscience.” Continue reading...
< Georgia, US voting rights, US news, World news, Joe Biden, Republicans >
- New York Magazine 19:28March 26, 2021January 6 Commission Dies, As Republicans Oppose Focus on January 6With the GOP demanding an investigation of left-wing violence unrelated to the Capitol riot, Pelosi is shifting to a regular House investigation.
< politics, capitol riot, janury 6, january 6 commission, 9/11 commission, nancy pelosi, racial justice protests, congressional republicans >
- New York Magazine 02:20March 26, 2021Georgia Republicans Take Revenge on Voting RightsAfter major Democratic wins, the embattled GOP passes a harsh law to claw back power.
< politics, voting rights, georgia, republicans, voting by mail, sunday voting, in-person early voting, voter id, brian kemp, brad raffensperger, general election runoffs, 2022 midterms, stacey abrams, souls to the polls, voter purges, georgia senate runoffs >
- Business Insider 23:08March 25, 20217 key takeaways from Biden's first news conference as presidentBiden said he plans to run for reelection, questioned whether the GOP has a future as a party, and raised his goal for vaccine distribution.
< Politics, News, Joe Biden, news conference, White House, Democrats, Republicans, Immigration, War, Voting, election, 2024, Afghanistan, China, COVID-19 >