- Business Insider 08:39April 11, 2021Former GOP House Speaker John Boehner says he doesn't think Ronald Reagan could get elected in today's Republican PartyBoehner criticized current GOP leaders like Donald Trump and Ted Cruz, who he called a "reckless a--hole who thinks he is smarter than everyone else."
< Politics, Politics, Senate, Congress, Trump, Ted Cruz, John Boehner >
- Breitbart News 04:24April 10, 2021Democrat Sen. Bernie Sanders Has 'Serious Concerns' with Joe Biden’s Proposed BudgetSen. Bernie Sanders (D-VT), Chairman of the Senate Budget Committee, on Friday slammed President Joe Biden’s proposed budget, saying he has some "serious concerns."
< Politics, Bernie Sanders, Federal Budget, Joe Biden, Obama-era, Ro Khanna, Senate Budget Committee >
- Business Insider 23:07April 8, 2021'Run, Ron, Run!': Trump urges his staunch ally Sen. Ron Johnson, who downplayed the Capitol riot, to seek reelection"He has no idea how popular he is," former President Donald Trump said in a statement. "Run, Ron, Run!"
< Politics, News, Ron Johnson, Donald Trump, Elections, Senate, Republicans, Congress, capitol riot >
- Business Insider 21:19April 8, 2021The head of the Senate banking committee wants details from banks linked to Archegos on how an under-the-radar family office caused so much turmoilThe head of the Senate banking committee is calling on lenders for answers about the blow-up of private investment firm Archegos Capital.
< Markets, MI Exclusive, Archegos, Archegos liquidation, Bill Hwang, Sherrod Brown, Senate Banking Committee, Regulation, Credit Suisse >
- Business Insider 20:01April 8, 2021POLL: Most Americans who care about the filibuster don't like it and want it changedMost respondents, 36%, said they don't have a strong feeling about the filibuster, while 17% think the bill delaying measure is fine as is.
< Politics, Filibuster, Congress, Senate, INSIDER Data >
- Business Insider 04:08April 8, 2021Joe Manchin signals he could torpedo Democratic attempts to bypass Republicans multiple times in a yearManchin argued embarking on party-line votes would harm the nation's future. Republicans are united in opposing Biden on infrastructure.
< Economy, Politics, Joe Manchin, Congress, Democrats, Joe Biden, Reconciliation, Senate, Infrastructure, Stimulus, Trump tax cuts, Corporate taxes >
- New York Magazine 03:12April 6, 2021Democrats Get One More Big Bill This Year That Cannot Be FilibusteredThe Senate Parliamentarian agrees with Schumer’s multiple reconciliation bill theory, which could make Republican obstruction irrelevant.
< politics, congressional budget process, budget reconciliation, chuck schumer, joe biden, republicans, infrastructure, american jobs plan, american rescue plan, covid-19 stimulus, senate parliamentarian, elizabeth macdonough >
- Business Insider 02:03April 6, 2021Big win for Democrats: Senate parliamentarian to allow 2 more bills to bypass a potential GOP filibusterThis could have implications for President Joe Biden's infrastructure package.
< Politics, Speed, Chuck Schumer, Senate, Breaking >
- Petapixel 00:42April 6, 2021Lawmakers Want Details on Facebook’s Instagram for KidsIn March, Instagram was reportedly working on a version of its app that was designed specifically for children. Today, four Democratic lawmakers have expressed concern over the project, and have written a letter to CEO Mark Zuckerburg asking fourteen pointed and technical questions about the initiative. Buzzfeed broke the original report that the social media […]
< Culture, News, children, congress, Facebook, instagram, instagramforchildren, senate, senators, socialmedia >
- Breitbart News 23:08April 5, 2021Joe Manchin Says Senate Democrats Do Not Have Votes to Raise Corporate Taxes to 28 PercentSen. Joe Manchin (D-WV) conveyed Monday there are not enough votes in the Senate to pass President Joe Biden's $2.25 trillion infrastructure proposal due to six or seven Democrats who oppose raising the corporate tax rate to 28 percent.
< Economy, Politics, American Jobs Plan, corporate tax rate, infrastructure, Joe Biden, Joe Manchin, Marsha Blackburn, Mitch McConnell, Senate Democrats, socialism, Steve Scalise >
- Business Insider 16:18April 5, 2021After my sister died trying to stop gun violence, the Senate couldn't find the votes for background checks. We can't let that happen again.Gun violence kills over 100 people a day a wounds hundreds more. The senate must pass common sense gun legislation.
< Opinion, Politics, News, Opinion, BI Commentary, Sandy Hook, gun violence, Mass Shootings, Gun legislation, Senate, Gun Deaths >
- Business Insider 16:32April 4, 2021Democrats can learn something from the most powerful Joe in WashingtonSen. Joe Manchin is the deciding Senate vote and the most powerful "Joe" in DC. He may frustrate some progressives, but he's also a great example.
< Opinion, Politics, Joe Manchin, Joe Biden, Democrats, Senate Democrats, Chuck Schumer, BI Commentary, Opinion >
- Business Insider 21:29April 3, 2021Rep. Jim Clyburn called Joe Manchin's push for bipartisanship over passage of voting rights legislation 'insulting'Manchin is the only Democratic senator who has not signed on as a cosponsor to S. 1 and opposes changing filibuster rules to aid the bill's passage.
< Politics, Jim Clyburn, Joe Manchin, Voting Rights, Senate Democrats, For the People Act >
- Business Insider 18:49April 3, 2021Schumer says the Senate will act on marijuana legalization regardless of Biden's position"I want to make my arguments to him, as many other advocates will," Schumer told Politico. "But at some point we're going to move forward, period."
< Politics, Chuck Schumer, Marijuana Legalization, federal law enforcement, Joe Biden, Senate Democrats >
- Business Insider 16:03April 3, 2021I came to the US when I was only 2 years old. Without action from Congress, I could be deported to a country I've never known.I'm one of over 2 million "Dreamers." Unless the Senate passes the American Dream and Promise Act, I'll continue to live in uncertainty.
< Opinion, Politics, News, Opinion, BI Commentary, DACA, Undocumented Immigrants, Immigration, Congress, Senate, Biden administration >
- The Guardian 03:38April 3, 2021US Capitol lockdown: one officer and suspect dead after car rams into barrierPolice shoot suspect after he allegedly rams vehicle and then lunges at officers with a knifeA police officer and a suspect were dead on Friday after the suspect rammed a vehicle into two US Capitol police officers outside Congress in Washington, then lunged at others with a knife.The suspect was shot. Two officers were taken to hospital. Police named the officer who died as William “Billy” Evans, an 18-year veteran of the department. Continue reading...
< Washington DC, US Congress, US Senate, House of Representatives, US news, US crime, Gun crime, World news >
- Breitbart News 16:57April 2, 2021Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick Blasts American Airlines: 'Texans Are Fed Up with Corporations that Don't Share Our Values'Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick (R) is "stunned" American Airlines issued a statement opposing an election integrity bill, Senate Bill 7, following passage early Thursday morning, as the CEO admittedly did not read the legislation.
< Politics, American Airlines, Dan Patrick, Senate Bill 7, Texas, voter fraud, Voter ID >
- New York Magazine 00:37April 2, 2021Georgia Republicans Working Hard to Sabotage a 2022 ComebackGeorgia’s GOP could be upbeat heading towards the midterms. But the voting law debacle and a Trump purge could snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.
< politics, georgia voting law, georgia republicans, donald trump, geoff duncan, brian kemp, brad raffensperger, burt jones, georgia senate runoffs, raphael warnock, stacey abrams, voting rights, 2022 midterms, redistricting, election coup, vision 2020, joe biden >
- Breaking Defense 23:08March 31, 2021IVAS: Microsoft Award By Army Worth Up To $21.9BCongress is skeptical of the augmented-reality IVAS goggles, which can display everything from cross-hairs for targeting to simulated enemy soldiers for training.
< Congress, Land Warfare, Networks / Cyber, 2021 budget, 2021 NDAA, acquisition, army, HASC, house armed services committee, integrated visual augmentation system, IVAS, Microsoft, SASC, Senate Armed Services Committee >
- Breaking Defense 20:14March 31, 2021Sen. Young: ‘Go On Offense’ In China Tech Race; Bipartisan Bill Gathers Steam“Some do not believe this is an appropriate role for the government…” Republican Sen. Young said in an interview. “…[B]ut, simply, the private sector and venture capital community is not up to shouldering this task on its own.”
< Congress, Networks / Cyber, Threats, endless frontier act, research and development, Sen. Charles Schumer, Sen. Gary Peters, Sen. Jeff Merkley, Sen. Susan Collins, Sen. Todd Young, senate, Senate Appropriations Committee, Senate Armed Services Committee, Sputnik >
- Business Insider 19:02March 31, 2021It's about time for Congress to pay its interns a fair wage - it could help introduce some much-needed diversity on the HillThe State Student Internship Program Act aims to pay interns at the State Department. The rest of government needs to follow suit.
< Opinion, Politics, Opinion, BI Commentary, Interns, Congress, House, Senate, Pay, Bill, Politics, Education >
- New York Magazine 16:00March 31, 2021Democrats Have a Good Chance of Holding the Senate in 2022With the Judiciary on the line, the Senate landscape favors Democrats in the next midterms.
< politics, 2022 midterms, u.s. senate, joe biden, judicial confirmations, u.s. house, kamala harris, maggie hassan, chris sununu, senate retirements, 1970 midterms, 2018 midterms >
- New York Magazine 00:19March 30, 2021Here’s the Real Obstacle to Biden’s $4 Trillion Infrastructure BillSome moderate Democrats have a limited appetite for deficit spending, while others can’t stomach large tax hikes.
< infrastructure, joe biden, senate democrats, moderate democrats, build back better >
- Business Insider 00:24March 29, 2021Sen. Raphael Warnock says that voting rights must pass 'no matter what'During a CNN interview, Warnock said that while passing an infrastructure bill is vital, protecting voting rights has to be a legislative priority.
< Politics, Raphael Warnock, Georgia, Voting Rights, Senate, Filibuster >
- Business Insider 17:42March 28, 2021Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin said he remains opposed to removing the filibuster, amid growing pressure from liberals to erase itManchin holds huge power in a Senate evenly divided between Republicans and Democrats, and is putting a break on liberal demands for sweeping reform.
< Joe Manchin, Democratic Party, U.S. Senate, filibuster reform, UK Weekend >
- Business Insider 21:42March 27, 2021Trump had an 'Apprentice'-like meeting with Ohio GOP Senate candidates at West Palm Beach golf club: reportThe four Republicans are set to run for Ohio's open Senate seat in 2022, which will be vacated by GOP Sen. Rob Portman at the end of his term.
< Politics, Donald Trump, Ohio, Max Miller, Anthony Gonzalez, Republican Party, Senate, Josh Mandel, 2022 elections >
- Breitbart News 04:54March 27, 2021Sen. Johnson at Border: VP Harris Tapped by Biden to Fix Border Crisis Compared Immigration Officers to KKKVice President Harris, tapped by President Joe Biden to fix the border crisis, compared ICE to the KKK, Sen. Ron Johnson (R-WI) noted Friday.
< Immigration, Politics, Border Crisis, Breitbart Texas, Department of Homeland Security, DHS, ICE, Kamala Harris, KKK, rio grande valley, Ron Johnson, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, U.S. Senate Committee on Homeland Security & Governmental Affairs >
- Breaking Defense 22:12March 26, 2021New Democratic Push For DoD Cuts Highlights China, Shipbuilding Woes“If we get into a conflict with China, this is not going to be like a World War II conflict where we have massive elements of the industrial base that can quickly convert to manufacturing the necessities for war…that’s just not going to happen,” Rep. Rob Wittman says.
< Congress, Naval Warfare, Pentagon, 2022 budget, 30 year shipbuilding plan, 355 ship Navy, China, House Armed Services Commitee, ICBM, nuclear modernization, nuclear triad, Rep. Rob Wittman, senate, Trump-Biden Transition >
- Breitbart News 20:31March 26, 2021President Joe Biden to Nominate Joe Manchin's Wife for $160k Federal PositionPresident Joe Biden plans to nominate Gayle Connelly Manchin, wife of moderate Democrat Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV), for a federal position that pays roughly $160,000, according to reports.
< Politics, Joe Biden, Joe Manchin, Senate >
- New York Magazine 02:20March 26, 2021Georgia Republicans Take Revenge on Voting RightsAfter major Democratic wins, the embattled GOP passes a harsh law to claw back power.
< politics, voting rights, georgia, republicans, voting by mail, sunday voting, in-person early voting, voter id, brian kemp, brad raffensperger, general election runoffs, 2022 midterms, stacey abrams, souls to the polls, voter purges, georgia senate runoffs >
- Breaking Defense 00:48March 26, 2021Nakasone Warns Adversaries Hack Unseen In US“We must understand what our adversaries are doing,” Gen. Nakasone told Congress. “They are no longer launching attacks from different parts in the world. They understand that they can come into the US, use our infrastructure, and there’s a blind spot for us not being able to see them.”
< Congress, Networks / Cyber, Threats, cybercom, CyberCommand, Gen. Paul Nakasone, Microsoft Exchange Hack, National Security Agency, nsa, senate, SolarWinds >
- Business Insider 22:26March 25, 2021Biden agrees with Obama that the Senate filibuster is a 'Jim Crow relic' and says it's being 'abused in a gigantic way'President Biden inched closer to endorsing Democratic efforts to abolish the rule requiring 60 votes to pass legislation.
< Politics, News, President Barack Obama, President Joe Biden, Republicans, Filibuster, Senate filibuster >
- Business Insider 01:04March 25, 2021Rachel Levine makes history as the first trans official confirmed by the SenateDr. Rachel Levine is the highest ranking out-trans person in the federal government after being confirmed as US assistant secretary of health.
< Politics, Rachel Levine, Trans, Senate, Confirmation, LGBTQ, Breaking >
- Breitbart News 23:04March 24, 2021Exclusive — China Outsourcing from the Timken Company Complicates Jane Timken’s Senate Bid in OhioJane Timken, the former chairwoman of the Ohio Republican Party, is running for the U.S. Senate claiming to be an acolyte of former President Donald Trump’s America First vision, but the actions of a company bearing her family name that outsourced American jobs to China over the past several decades raise questions about whether she truly believes in it.
< Asia, Economy, Politics, China, Chinese Communist Party, Donald Trump, Jane Timken, Ohio, On the Hill, Outsourcing, Peter Navarro, Rob Portman, Senate, steel, steel tariffs, Steve Bannon, Tariffs, trade >
- Business Insider 22:38March 24, 2021Key takeaways from the Senate's hearing on S.1., Democrats' flagship voting rights billSome of the most sweeping voting and election-related provisions have been criticized by some for having unrealistic requirements and deadlines.
< Politics, For the People Act, Senate, Voting, Elections >
- Breitbart News 21:13March 24, 2021Exclusive: Senate Republicans Line Up to Oppose House-Passed Amnesty BillsA number of Senate Republicans are lining up to oppose two pieces of immigration legislation, both passed by House Democrats and a handful of House Republicans, that would provide amnesty to millions of illegal aliens living in the United States.
< Immigration, Politics, Amnesty, Democrats, illegal immigration, Joe Biden, On the Hill, Senate Republicans >
- Business Insider 16:57March 24, 2021Democrats failed to get anywhere near a united front on a $15 minimum wage, suggesting the measure is doomed for nowA meeting convened by Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer resulted in deadlock, according to reports, with the future of the bill unclear.
< Politics, Bernie Sanders, Democratic Party, Minimum Wage, Joe Manchin, U.S. Senate, News UK >
- Business Insider 14:20March 24, 2021Mitch McConnell promised a 'nuclear winter' of contrarian tactics if Democrats get rid of the filibusterMcConnell told the "Ruthless" podcast that if Democrats get rid of the filibuster, they will "turn the Senate into a sort of nuclear winter."
< Politics, News UK, Mitch McConnell, Filibuster, Senate >
- New York Magazine 04:59March 24, 2021What to Know About the Cuomo Investigations and Possible ImpeachmentTwo accusers have now said they will not cooperate with the state Assembly inquiry, though they have spoken with the state Attorney General’s office.
< albany, andrew cuomo, politics, new york state, letitia james, sexual harassment, explainer, new york state assembly, new york state senate, nursing homes, scandals, impeachment >
- Breaking Defense 23:20March 23, 2021Pentagon Weighs Guam Missile Defense Money For 2022 Budget“There’s a need in the near-term to defend against all of those [Chinese missile] threats from a 360-degree standpoint, and if the answer is Aegis, I’m ready to support it,” the presumptive head of Indo-PACOM told the Senate Armed Services Committee.
< Air Warfare, Naval Warfare, 2022 budget, Adm. John Aquilino, Adm. Phil Davidson, Adm. Philip Davidson, aegis, Aegis Ashore, air and missile defense, China, Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin, guam, Indo-Pacific Command, INDOPACOM, Missile Defense, Pacific Deterrence Initiative, PDI, Senate Armed Services Committee >
- The Guardian 20:27March 23, 2021China threat to invade Taiwan is 'closer than most think', says US admiralChina considers recovering control of Taiwan its ‘No 1 priority’Adm John Aquilino is nominated to head Indo-Pacific CommandThe Chinese threat to invade Taiwan is serious and more imminent than many understand, the US admiral chosen to lead the Pentagon’s Indo-Pacific region has warned.China considers recovering control over Taiwan its “No 1 priority”, Adm John Aquilino, nominated to become commander of the US Indo-Pacific Command, told the Senate armed services committee on Tuesday. Continue reading...
< Taiwan, China, World news, Asia Pacific, US military, US national security, US news, US Senate >
- Business Insider 17:49March 22, 2021GOP Sen. Ron Johnson falsely claimed Greenland only recently froze and now admits he has 'no idea' about its history
< Politics, News, Ron Johnson, Climate Change, Republican, Senate, Greenland, Misinformation >
- Business Insider 16:26March 21, 2021'This is Jim Crow in new clothes': Sen. Raphael Warnock delivers a forceful defense of voting rights, excoriates GOP-led voting restrictionsWarnock's focus on voter suppression in his maiden Senate speech led to a standing ovation in the chamber as he slammed GOP-backed voting restrictions.
< Politics, Raphael Warnock, Georgia, Senate, Voting Rights, Civil Rights, Black church, analysis >
- Business Insider 13:46March 21, 2021Elon Musk responds to Bernie Sanders' criticism of his vast wealth, saying he is 'accumulating resources to help make life multiplanetary'Tesla CEO Elon Musk on Saturday said he planned to use his money to "make life multiplanetary," and "extend the light of consciousness to the stars."
< Tech Insider, Weekend BI UK, Elon Musk, Bernie Sanders, Minimum Wage, Wealth, Jeff Bezos, Tesla, Amazon, Senate >
- Business Insider 20:44March 20, 2021Dianne Feinstein is 'open' to filibuster reform, citing GOP 'abuse' of the Senate procedureSen. Feinstein has long been leery of dramatically altering the procedural tool, pushing instead for bipartisan consensus on a range of legislative issues.
< Politics, Dianne Feinstein, Filibuster, Senate, filibuster reform, Chuck Schumer, Mitch McConnell, Joe Biden >
- Business Insider 05:09March 20, 2021AT&T, Cigna abandon promises to stop financing Republicans who voted to overturn the electionCorporate America promised to stop funding Republicans who voted to overturn Electoral College results. Some companies have already broken theirs.
< Politics, News, Markets, Tech Insider, Retail, Advertising, Healthcare, Transportation, Finance, Media, Military & Defense, Strategy, Economy, Energy, Entertainment, Enterprise, Real Estate, s&p 500, Money in politics, PACs, Political Action Committee (PAC), Political Action Committees, Campaign Finance, FEC, Capitol Siege, Josh Hawley, Ted Cruz, Electoral College, Donald Trump, Joe Biden, Elections 2020, 2020 Elections, House, Senate, Congress, BI Graphics, Skye Gould >
- Breaking Defense 19:44March 19, 2021Who’s Who in Defense: Tom Cotton, Ranking Member, SASC’s Subcommittee on AirlandRanking Member, SASC’s Subcommittee on Airland Senator Tom Cotton, R-Arkansas Responsibilities As former chair of SASC’s Airland Subcommittee, Cotton brings direct experience to his new role as Ranking Republican of the 12-member panel responsible for Army, Air Force, National Guard and Reserve planning and operations policy and programs, not including special operations, space and…
< Congress, republicans, SASC, SASC airland subcommittee, Senate Armed Services Committee, Who's Who 2021 >
- Breaking Defense 23:25March 18, 2021Who’s Who in Defense: Tammy Duckworth, Chairwoman, SASC’s Subcommittee on AirlandChairwoman, SASC’s Subcommittee on Airland Sen. Tammy Duckworth, D-Illinois Responsibilities Duckworth’s appointment as Chair of SASC’s Airland Subcommittee comes on the heels of a new ruling by the Democratic caucus to distribute authority evenly across the SASC while extending leadership opportunities to junior senators on Senate subpanels. A member of SASC since 2019, the…
< Congress, Democrats, Rep. Tammy Duckworth, SASC, SASC airland subcommittee, Sen. Tammy Duckworth, Senate Armed Services Committee, Who's Who 2021 >
- Breaking Defense 19:26March 18, 2021Army Soldier Tech Team Seeks Hill’s Trust After CutsAfter skeptical staffers slammed the IVAS targeting goggles, the Army generals responsible have been emphasizing their solicitousness towards Congress.
< Congress, Land Warfare, army, AUSA Global 2021, Gen. Anthony Potts, HAC-D, HASC, House Appropriations committee, house armed services committee, infantry, integrated visual augmentation system, IVAS, PEO Soldier, SAC-D, SASC, Senate Appropriations Committee, Senate Armed Services Committee >
- Business Insider 16:53March 18, 2021Mitch McConnell warned Democrats that if they erase the filibuster they'll 'release furies they can barely imagine'in a Wall St Jornal op-ed McConnell had a hyperbolic warning for Democrats who want to abolish the 60 vote threshold Senate filibuster.
< Politics, Mitch McConnell, Joe Biden, Senate filibuster, Democratic Party, U.S. Senate, News UK >