- New York Magazine 00:03April 11, 2021Supreme Court Again Sides With Worshippers Over Public Health OrdersThe Court’s conservative majority ruled that California’s pandemic restrictions on at-home gatherings could not apply to religious activity.
< u.s. supreme coiurt, religion, pandemic, coronavirus, covid-19, politics, supreme court, public health >
- Breitbart News 20:00April 10, 2021SCOTUS: California Must Allow In-Home Religious GatheringsThe Supreme Court ruled in a 5-4 decision late on Friday that California must lift its coronavirus pandemic restrictions on in-home religious gatherings and prayer meetings.
< Faith, Politics, Pre-Viral, California, coronavirus, Gavin Newsom, John Roberts, Religious freedom, Supreme Court >
- Breitbart News 23:26April 9, 2021Joe Biden Signs Executive Order to Study Packing the Supreme CourtIn October 2020, Biden said in an interview he would put together a “bipartisan commission” to address the Supreme Court "because it’s getting out of whack.”
< Politics, Joe Biden, Supreme Court >
- New York Magazine 20:16April 9, 2021Biden Creates Commission to Study Supreme Court ExpansionBiden said he would set up a bipartisan panel on the campaign trail amid pressure to embrace measures to counter the Court’s conservative tilt.
< joe biden, scotus, u.s. supreme court, politics >
- Business Insider 21:06April 8, 2021Trump's judicial appointments worsened racial diversity in the federal courtsOnly 37 of Trump's 229 active appointments are people of color - the least racially-diverse group of federal judges nominated in nearly three decades.
< Politics, News, Donald Trump, Supreme Court, Federal Court, appeals court, Judiciary, Joe Biden, Brett Kavanaugh, Amy Coney Barrett, Neil Gorsuch, Congress, INSIDER Data, federal judiciary >
- New York Magazine 00:28April 8, 2021Justice Breyer Is Missing the Point on Court PackingThe justice’s warning against proposed structural changes to the Supreme Court confuses remedies for politicization with causes.
< politics, u.s. supreme court, stephen breyer, court-packing, fdr, owen roberts, donald trump, joe biden, lochner era >
- New York Magazine 14:00April 6, 2021Why Is the Supreme Court Hesitating on Abortion?With a solidly anti-choice bloc on the bench, a decision on whether to hear a big case is all the more mysterious.
< politics, supreme court, abortion, roe v. wade, planned parenthood v. casey, dobbs v. jackson women's health organization, hellerstedt v. whole women's health, june medical services v. russo, john roberts, stephen breyer, brett kavanaugh, amy comey barrett, clarence thomas, samuel alito, neil gorsuch, harry blackmun, mississippi >
- Business Insider 19:39April 5, 2021Google extends its 5-day streak to 10% after US Supreme Court hands the tech giant victory in $9 billion battle with OracleGoogle's use of Oracle's Java code has been ruled "fair use" by the US Supreme Court, ending a decade-long legal battle between the two tech giants.
< Markets, MI Exclusive, Markets, Google, Oracle, Google stock, google stock price, Oracle stock, Supreme Court, supreme court hearing, googl stock, Alphabet, Fair Use >
- Business Insider 18:10April 5, 2021The Supreme Court dismissed as moot a First Amendment case over Trump blocking his critics on TwitterThe Court cited the "change in presidential administrations" for the dismissal, but Trump has also been banned from the social media platform.
< Politics, Tech Insider, News, Supreme Court, President Donald Trump, Twitter >
- Business Insider 17:19April 5, 2021The Supreme Court just ruled in favor of Google in its legal battle with Oracle, ending a 10-year fight over the future of softwareThe court ruled that Google's use of Oracle-developed Java code "did not violate the copyright law" and was done under fair use provisions.
< Enterprise, Tech Insider, News, Politics, Oracle, Google, Java, Supreme Court >
- New York Magazine 19:54April 1, 2021Virginia Court Paves Way for Removal of Confederate Statues In CharlottesvilleIt’s another blow to the neo-Confederate effort to promote white supremacy via exaltation of the Lost Cause.
< politics, confederate monuments, robert e. lee, stonwall jackson, neo-conferates, charlottesville riots, unite the right, heather heyer, donald trump, viriginia supreme court >
- Business Insider 17:36April 1, 2021Supreme Court rules Facebook's automated text system doesn't count as robocalling, handing major win to people who want to spam your phoneThe US Supreme Court ruled that Facebook's text alerts on suspicious logins do not qualify as robocalls.
< Politics, News, Supreme Court, US Supreme Court, Opinions, Politics >
- Breitbart News 06:44March 30, 2021Report: Supreme Court Will Consider Kentucky Abortion CaseThe Supreme Court will address a procedural question of who can defend state abortion restrictions. The case, Cameron v. EMW Women’s Surgical Center, weighs Kentucky’s prohibition on surgical abortion used after 15 weeks of pregnancy.
< Podcast, Science, Abortion, Daniel Cameron, John Roberts, Kentucky, Marjorie Dannenfelser, Matt Bevin, SCOTUS, sixth circuit, Supreme Court >
- Breitbart News 01:12March 30, 2021Supreme Court Rejects Efforts to Depose Hillary Clinton over Email ServerThe U.S. Supreme Court on Monday denied efforts to require former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton to face a deposition over her unsecured email setup while she served in the Obama administration.
< Law and Order, Politics, Pre-Viral, Hillary Clinton, Judicial Watch, Judicial Watch v. U.S. Department of Justice, State Department, Supreme Court >
- Huffington Post UK 13:05March 26, 2021Asda Store Workers Win Supreme Court Fight With Bosses Over Equal Pay
< News, uk news, Business, supermarkets, asda, equal pay, Supreme Court, uk-news, business, equal-pay, supreme-court >
- Business Insider 17:44March 22, 2021Trump says the Supreme Court 'should be ashamed of themselves' for not taking up election casesThe court declined to hear a long-shot lawsuit from Texas seeking to overturn results in five states, and a pair of cases of out Pennsylvania.
< Politics, Supreme Court, President Donald Trump >
- The Guardian(UK) 13:21March 19, 2021Sleep-in care workers not entitled to minimum wage, supreme court rulesDecisions means workers can only receive minimum wage when required to be awake for workCare workers who have to sleep at their workplace in case they are needed overnight are not entitled to the minimum wage for their whole shift, the supreme court has ruled.Claire Tomlinson-Blake, a Mencap support worker in the East Riding of Yorkshire, had appealed against a court of appeal ruling that carers are only entitled to the minimum wage when they are required to be awake for work – and not while asleep. Continue reading...
< Care workers, Minimum wage, Social care, UK supreme court, Society, UK news >
- The Guardian(UK) 01:28March 17, 2021Uber to pay UK drivers minimum wage, holiday pay and pensionMove follows supreme court ruling that drivers are workers but critics say they are still short-changedUber is to guarantee its 70,000 UK drivers a minimum hourly wage, holiday pay and pensions after a landmark supreme court ruling.The ride-hailing app said drivers would start benefiting from the changes from Wednesday while retaining the right to choose when they work, as it accepted they were classed as workers in line with the ruling. Continue reading...
< Uber, Gig economy, UK supreme court, Business, Technology, UK news, Employment law >
- The Guardian 10:00March 16, 2021FBI facing allegation that its 2018 background check of Brett Kavanaugh was ‘fake’A Democratic senator has asked attorney general Merrick Garland to facilitate ‘proper oversight’ into concerns on the investigationThe FBI is facing new scrutiny for its 2018 background check of Brett Kavanaugh, the supreme court justice, after a lawmaker suggested that the investigation may have been “fake”.Sheldon Whitehouse, a Democratic senator and former prosecutor who serves on the judiciary committee, is calling on the newly-confirmed attorney general, Merrick Garland, to help facilitate “proper oversight” by the Senate into questions about how thoroughly the FBI investigated Kavanaugh during his confirmation hearing. Continue reading...
< Brett Kavanaugh, FBI, US supreme court, US news >
- Business Insider 23:49March 10, 2021McConnell voted to confirm Merrick Garland as attorney general 2 years after saying blocking his Supreme Court nomination was the 'most consequential thing I've ever done'McConnell in 2019 celebrated his decision to stonewall Garland's nomination for a seat on the high court.
< Politics, News, Merrick Garland, Mitch McConnell, Senate, Attorney General, Supreme Court, President Joe Biden >
- Huffington Post UK 12:00March 10, 2021Arkansas Governor Signs Into Law A Near-Total Abortion Ban
< News, Politics, Health, Politics and Government, government, Abortion, Supreme Court of the United States, Medical Specialties and Services, OBGYN, Pregnancy Termination Services, Anti-abortion movement, Arkansas, health, politics-and-government, abortion, supreme-court-of-the-united-states, medical-specialties-and-services, obgyn, pregnancy-termination-services, anti-abortion-movement, arkansas >
- Business Insider 16:48March 9, 2021The Supreme Court has thrown out Trump's final legal challenge to his election defeatThis was the former president's final attempt to overturn his defeat to Joe Biden in last year's election.
< Politics, News, Supreme Court, Trump, Election 2020 >
- Breitbart News 21:28March 8, 2021Exclusive — Mark Brnovich on SCOTUS Case: Even Jimmy Carter Warned of FraudArizona Attorney General Mark Brnovich recalled how Jimmy Carter warned of fraud risks associated with ballot harvesting and mail-in voting.
< 2020 Election, Politics, Radio, Arizona, ballot harvesting, DNC, election integrity, election law, Elections, Elena Kagan, For the People Act, H.R. 1, mail-in ballots, mail-in voting, Mark Brnovich, SCOTUS, Sonia Sotomayor, Supreme Court, U.S. Supreme Court, voter fraud, Voting Rights Act >
- Business Insider 17:32March 7, 2021Democrats need to get serious about new ideas to transform the Supreme CourtAdding seats to the Supreme Court is easier than one might think. But if that doesn't work, Dems should appoint a younger Justice to the court.
< Opinion, Politics, Law, Federal Courts, Opinion, BI Commentary, Politics, Courts, Supreme Court, SCOTUS >
- New York Magazine 20:00March 3, 2021Will Democrats Act Like the Party of Voting Rights or Not?The conservative Supreme Court and GOP are set to do even more damage unless they’re stopped.
< politics, voting rights, shelby county v. holder, joe manchin, kyrsten sinema, john lewis, john lewis voting rights act, voting rights act of 1965, supreme court, voting rights preclearance, donald trump, joe biden, election conspiracy theories, for the people act >
- Business Insider 20:57March 1, 2021The Supreme Court is hearing arguments Tuesday in a case that could further gut the Voting Rights Act and its protections for minority votersIn Brnovich vs. Democratic National Committee, the Court will rule whether two Arizona voting restrictions violate Section 2 of the VRA.
< Politics, Supreme Court, Voting Rights, Voting Rights Act >
- Business Insider 19:10March 1, 2021The Supreme Court finally rejected Sidney Powell's election conspiracy theory lawsuitsIt extends an extraordinary losing streak for lawsuits from Donald Trump and his allies seeking to overturn the 2020 presidential election results.
< Politics, News, Sidney Powell, 2020 election, Donald Trump, Supreme Court, Dominion, Smartmatic, court documents >
- Breitbart News 15:27February 23, 2021Pollak: America Dodged A Bullet when Merrick Garland Was Blocked for SCOTUSMerrick Garland's testimony -- shaky at times, radically left-wing at others -- made clear that America dodged a bullet when Republicans blocked him.
< Politics, border, Capitol riot, Department of Justice, John Durham, Merrick Garland, Portland, Riots, Supreme Court, transgenderism >
- Breitbart News 06:07February 23, 2021Clarence Thomas Dissent in Election Cases: 'Our Fellow Citizens Deserve Better'“Our fellow citizens deserve better and expect more of us,” Justice Clarence Thomas declared Monday, when the Supreme Court decided -- by one vote --to hear none of the 2020 election cases raising issues of voter fraud and illegal votes.
< Politics, Clarence Thomas, election law, Pennsylvania, Supreme Court >
- Business Insider 00:09February 23, 2021Trump says he's facing 'political persecution' after Supreme Court rejects his attempt to keep tax returns hidden"The Supreme Court never should have let this 'fishing expedition' happen, but they did," Trump said in a statement on Monday.
< Politics, News, Donald Trump, Supreme Court, New York >
- The Guardian 00:05February 23, 2021Supreme court rejects Trump bid to block tax records from prosecutorCourt’s order is a win for the Manhattan district attorney, Cyrus Vance Jr, who has been seeking Trump’s tax records since 2019US politics – live coverageIn a significant defeat for Donald Trump, the supreme court on Monday declined to step in to halt the turnover of his tax records to a prosecutor in New York City. Related: Trump to tell CPAC he is Republican 'presumptive 2024 nominee' – report Continue reading...
< Donald Trump, US supreme court, New York, Law (US), US news, World news, Law >
- The Guardian(UK) 20:51February 22, 2021Uber accused of trying to deter drivers from seeking compensationLawyers acting for claimants say firm’s statement after last week’s supreme court ruling is misleadingUber has been accused of trying to deter drivers from seeking compensation for missed holiday and minimum wage payments after a landmark court ruling.The taxi-hailing app may have to pay out more than £100m to more than 10,000 drivers involved in cases linked to a the UK supreme court ruled on Friday that they must be classified as workers. Uber has previously argued that its 60,000 UK drivers are self-employed independent contractors with no right to holiday pay, a company pension or the national minimum wage. Continue reading...
< Uber, Technology, Gig economy, UK supreme court, Employment law, Business, Law, UK news >
- Breitbart News 20:17February 22, 2021Supreme Court Allows Subpoena of Trump's Tax Returns to ContinueSupreme Court will allow a subpoena of former President Donald Trump’s tax returns to continue, clearing the way for prosecutors in New York to receive eight years of the ex-president's tax returns and financial records.
< Crime, Law and Order, Politics, investigation, Southern District of New York, subpoena, Supreme Court, tax returns >
- New York Magazine 19:05February 22, 2021Supreme Court Deals Trump a Big Blow on Tax ReturnsCyrus Vance will now be able to proceed with criminal investigations of the former president involving hush money and fraud allegations.
< politics, u.s. supreme court, cyrus vance, donald trump, stormy daniels, trump tax records, manhattan grand jury >
- Business Insider 18:42February 22, 2021The Supreme Court declined to hear Stormy Daniels' appeal in her libel lawsuit against TrumpDaniels had unsuccessfully sued Trump for libel in the lower courts over a 2018 tweet where he questioned her story of being intimated at his behest.
< Politics, President Donald Trump, Stormy Daniels, Supreme Court, Stephanie Clifford, Michael Cohen, Breaking >
- Business Insider 18:08February 22, 2021The Supreme Court rejected Trump's attempt to keep his tax returns secret from Manhattan's district attorneyThe Supreme Court has once again knocked away Donald Trump's attempt to prevent a grand jury from seeing his tax returns.
< Politics, News, Donald Trump, Supreme Court, Cy Vance, manhattan district attorney >
- Business Insider 13:16February 19, 2021Uber just lost a major legal battle over whether its UK drivers count as workers and are entitled to minimum wageOne ex-Uber driver who began the Uber battle in 2016 told Insider, "Companies like Uber rely on "vulnerable people they could exploit who don't understand the law."
< Tech Insider, Transportation, Uber, transport, Transportation, Car, driver, Uber Drivers, Tech Insider, UK, Court, Legal battle, Supreme Court, Workers Rights >
- The Guardian(UK) 13:11February 19, 2021Uber drivers are workers, UK supreme court rulesDecision means drivers will be entitled to basic rights such as paid holidays, say lawyersThe UK supreme court has ruled against Uber operating companies and concluded that drivers should be classed as workers, not independent third-party contractors.Seven justices delivered the ruling on Friday in the latest round of a long-running fight between Uber operating companies and drivers. Continue reading...
< Uber, Gig economy, UK supreme court, Business, Law, Technology, UK news, Employment law >
- Breitbart News 01:03February 17, 2021Left-Wing Nation Essay Calls for ‘Blue-State Secession’An article published on Wednesday in The Nation presents a thorough case for a “blue-state secession,” claiming it is “the only way to ensure democracy
< Media, Politics, blue states, Electoral College, ICE, secession, Supreme Court, the nation, White Supremacy >
- Business Insider 18:05February 14, 2021An obscure Alaska court case could end super PACs and reshape our democracyIf the case goes to the Supreme Court, the ruling could change the way we finance campaigns by eliminating super PACs.
< Opinion, Politics, Opinion, BI Commentary, Politics, PACs, Super PACs, Alaska, Supreme Court, Campaign Finance >
- New York Times 19:50February 12, 2021U.K. High Court Says Nigerians Can Sue Shell in Britain Over Oil SpillsThe Dutch energy company has a presence in Britain, and a judge ruled there was “a real issue to be tried.”
< Nigeria, Royal Dutch Shell Plc, Oil Spills, Niger Delta (Nigeria), Water Pollution, Oil (Petroleum) and Gasoline, Supreme Court of the United Kingdom, Great Britain, Suits and Litigation (Civil) >
- New York Magazine 15:00February 9, 2021Will Stephen Breyer Take One for the Team?Liberals are (finally) focusing more attention on the courts — and putting pressure on a justice to retire while the retiring’s good.
< intelligencer chats, stephen breyer, supreme court >
- Business Insider 23:46February 6, 2021A group of Black Republicans are pressing the National Museum of African American History to properly 'honor' Clarence ThomasThe members are asking for the museum to create a stronger tribute to Thomas, the second Black person in US history to sit on the Supreme Court.
< Politics, Byron Donalds, Clarence Thomas, National Museum of African American History and Culture, Supreme Court, Thurgood Marshall, GOP >
- Breitbart News 20:34February 6, 2021Supreme Court Sides with California Churches over Gavin NewsomWASHINGTON, DC – Late Friday the Supreme Court delivered two major victories for churches over state COVID-19 restrictions in California, blocking some of the restrictions that Democrat Gov. Gavin Newsom has imposed on houses of worship.
< Faith, Health, Politics, California, coronavirus, Gavin Newsom, Supreme Court >
- Breitbart News 01:17February 5, 2021Election Technology Company Sues Fox News for More than $2.7 BillionFox Corporation and three of its anchors have been sued by Smartmatic, an election technology company, for more than $2.7 billion.
< 2020 Election, Media, Pre-Viral, Defamation, Fox News, Jeanine Pirro, lawsuit, Lou Dobbs, Maria Bartiromo, New York State Supreme Court, Rudy Giuliani, Sidney Powell, Smartmatic >
- Breitbart News 08:14February 4, 2021Mark Levin: Chuck Schumer Should Be on Trial -- 'He Threatened the Supreme Court'Wednesday on FNC's "Hannity," conservative talker Mark Levin argued Senate Majority Chuck Schumer (D-NY) should be on trial for the remarks he made in 2020 about the U.S. Supreme Court, which was perceived to be as a threat against Associate Justices Brett Kavanaugh and Neil Gorsuch.
< Clips, Media, Politics, Chuck Schumer, Fox News Channel, Hannity, Mark Levin, Sean Hannity, U.S. Supreme Court >
- Breitbart News 03:53February 4, 2021Supreme Court Removes Cases Defending Trump Border PoliciesThe Supreme Court removed two high-profile border security cases from its docket on Wednesday, one concerning the Trump administration’s building a wall on the U.S.-Mexican border and the other concerning keeping migrants in Mexico while their petitions to enter the United States are pending.
< Immigration, Politics, "Migrant Protection Protocols" (MPP), Border Wall, Migrants, Remain in Mexico, Supreme Court, US-Mexico border >
- New York Magazine 16:00February 3, 2021Reintroducing Sonia SotomayorThe once-maligned justice has taken up the mantle of RBG and Thurgood Marshall. But what can she accomplish on the most conservative court in decades?
< sonia sotomayor, scotus, politics, u.s. supreme court, new york magazine, the law >
- Business Insider 21:50February 2, 2021Ginni Thomas apologized to her husband's Supreme Court clerks after supporting the 'Stop the Steal' rally ahead of the Capitol riotThe far-right conspiracy theorist and wife of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas made a rare turn from her support of President Donald Trump.
< Politics, News, Ginni Thomas, Virginia Thomas, Clarence Thomas, Capitol Siege, Donald Trump, Supreme Court >
- Business Insider 00:19January 31, 2021Facebook's 'Supreme Court' that has the power to overrule Mark Zuckerberg just handed down its first decisions - these are the Oversight Board's first 20 membersFacebook's $130 million "Supreme Court" has made its first rulings. These 20 people sit on the oversight board that can overrule even Mark Zuckerberg.
< Tech Insider, Politics, Features, Policy, Facebook, Moderation, Oversight Board, Supreme Court, Mark Zuckerberg, oversight >