- Business Insider 06:30March 1, 2021Senior Democrats ditch their backdoor proposal for a $15 minimum wage, throwing wage hike in doubt in $1.9 trillion stimulus planThe proposal was abandoned as Democrats appeared reluctant to finalize a complex plan that could delay passage of the Biden stimulus bill.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Policy, Republicans, Democrats, Joe Biden, Bernie Sanders, Ron Wyden, Chuck Schumer, Federal unemployment benefits, Unemployment insurance, $15 Minimum Wage, Minimum Wage, Wages, Economy >
- The Guardian(UK) 01:30March 1, 2021'Red wall' Tory MPs urge Sunak to cut business rates for shopsNorthern MPs tell chancellor his budget should protect high street and tax online retailers such as AmazonRishi Sunak is under increasing pressure from Conservative “red wall” MPs to go beyond existing support for the UK economy in Wednesday’s budget and cut taxes for thousands of retailers.MPs across the political spectrum are increasingly uneasy that he may introduce income tax rises for middle earners, and the chancellor is facing calls from 45 northern Tories to make “a bold move to reduce business rates”. Continue reading...
< Budget 2021, Retail industry, Rishi Sunak, Politics, North of England, Conservatives, Coronavirus, Economic growth (GDP), Tax and spending, UK news, Amazon, Business, E-commerce, Economics, Internet, Unemployment, Gordon Brown, Hospitality industry >
- The Guardian(UK) 01:00March 1, 2021Gordon Brown says unemployed could be 'betrayed' in budgetEx-PM says government has been complacent over ongoing issue of joblessness amid Covid-19Rishi Sunak will be betraying a generation of unemployed people unless he uses Wednesday’s budget to scale up support for the growing ranks of the long-term jobless people, the former prime minister Gordon Brown has warned.Brown accused the government of complacency over the unemployment threat and said it was scandalous that not a single worker had been helped by the Restart scheme for the long-term adult jobless. Continue reading...
< Budget 2021, UK news, Politics, Rishi Sunak, Gordon Brown, Unemployment, Society, Coronavirus, Economic policy >
- Huffington Post UK 12:47February 27, 2021Covid Job Losses Reveal Structural Racism In UK Labour Market, TUC Says
< News, coronavirus, COVID-19, race, Unemployment, Trades Union Congress, Unemployment Issues, covid-19, unemployment, trades-union-congress, unemployment-issues >
- Business Insider 10:06February 27, 2021House Democrats pass Biden's $1.9 trillion stimulus plan, sending it to the Senate as minimum wage fight loomsThe legislation includes a new round of stimulus checks and unemployment aid. Senate Democrats may clash on a minimum wage increase.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Nancy Pelosi, House, House Democrats, Joe Biden, Economy, Stimulus checks, Direct payments, Policy, Unemployment insurance, Congress, Democrats, Republicans >
- The Guardian(UK) 09:00February 27, 2021Covid job losses show structural racism of UK labour market, says TUCStudy reveals unemployment among BAME people is double the rate for white peopleCoronavirus – latest updatesSee all our coronavirus coverageThe coronavirus pandemic has held up a “mirror to the structural racism” in the UK’s labour market, the TUC has said, as a study reveals that jobless rates among black, Asian and minority ethnic (BAME) groups are now double the rate for white people.There are 1.74 million people out of work across the UK, the highest level in five years, and business shutdowns are disproportionately affecting women and ethnic minorities. Continue reading...
< Unemployment, Race, Coronavirus, Health, Trade unions, TUC, Society, Politics, UK news >
- Business Insider 23:08February 26, 2021House Democrats to vote on $1.9 trillion stimulus plan with minimum-wage hike in jeopardy"I'm committed to getting American workers a raise and will not let Senate procedure stand in the way," Sen. Sherrod Brown told Insider.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Nancy Pelosi, Stimulus, Republicans, Democrats, Joe Biden, Stimulus checks, Direct payments, Unemployment insurance, Policy, Economy >
- Business Insider 17:39February 26, 2021More workers just became eligible for unemployment, including those who didn't return to work over safety concernsThe Labor Dept. expanded unemployment eligibility for workers including school employees affected by closures and people who lost hours from Covid.
< Economy, Markets, Politics, Economy, Unemployment, Unemployment benefits, Unemployment aid, pua, pandemic unemployment assistance, Policy, Labor Department, Biden >
- Business Insider 17:35February 25, 2021Tech stocks slide as inflation fears mount amid strong labor-market dataInitial jobless claims dropped more than expected. The "meme stock" trade is heating back up with shares of GameStop, AMC, and Koss rallying.
< Markets, Stock market news today, stock market news, s&p 500, Dow, Bitcoin price today, Jobless Claims, NASDAQ, stock wrap, unemployment data, Jerome Powell >
- Business Insider 16:39February 25, 2021US weekly jobless claims drop more than expected to 730,000 as economic recovery pushes forwardContinuing claims, which count Americans receiving unemployment benefits, slid to 4.4 million for the week that ended February 13.
< Economy, Markets, Economy, Economic Indicator, Initial Jobless claims, US jobless claims, Jobless Claims, weekly jobless claims, Unemployment benefits, unemployment filings, Labor Market, Labor market data, Andy Kiersz, BI Graphics >
- New York Magazine 23:51February 24, 2021Democrats Must Stop the IRS From Eating the Unemployed’s Stimulus ChecksIf Biden doesn’t forgive the taxes on millions of Americans’ unemployment benefits, they might not forgive him for their giant surprise tax bills.
< taxes, irs, unemployment, coronavirus stimulus, the democrats, politics >
- Observer 20:41February 24, 2021Your $1400 Stimulus Check May Ride on Just When You File Your TaxesThe third stimulus check may or may not arrive before Tax Day.
< American Rescue Plan Act, Congress, stimulus bill, stimulus check, unemployment benefit >
- Business Insider 11:50February 23, 2021UK unemployment rate hits 4-year high in final quarter of 2020 but data shows 'tentative' signs of stabilizingDespite the rise in UK unemployment, the data office said that company payrolls had risen slightly in January.
< Markets, UK Economy, UK Unemployment, UK unemployment rate, coronavirus, Furlough, Economy >
- New York Times 04:00February 23, 2021As Pandemic Took Hold, Suicide Rose Among Japanese WomenLast year saw more women, but fewer men, take their own lives in Japan. For women there, the pressures of Covid-19 have been compounded.
< Suicides and Suicide Attempts, Mental Health and Disorders, Women and Girls, Depression (Mental), Unemployment, Anxiety and Stress, Coronavirus (2019-nCoV), Layoffs and Job Reductions, Japan, Takeuchi, Yuko (1980-2020) >
- Business Insider 00:17February 23, 2021Democrats' $1.9 trillion stimulus clears key House panel, now on course for floor vote within daysPresident Joe Biden said on Monday he is open to hearing ideas about reducing the size of the package. Republicans oppose it as too costly.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Policy, Economy, Joe Biden, Democrats, Republicans, Stimulus checks, Direct payments, Federal unemployment benefits, Unemployment insurance, Chuck Schumer, Nancy Pelosi, Minimum Wage >
- Business Insider 22:32February 22, 2021Democrats want to enact a new stimulus package within weeks. Here's the possible calendar for passage of $1,400 direct payments.Final passage of the Biden stimulus could occur in early March, before the expiration of enhanced unemployment insurance for jobless Americans.
< Politics, Markets, Economy, Joe Biden, Chuck Schumer, Nancy Pelosi, Stimulus, Coronavirus relief, Federal unemployment benefits, Stimulus checks, Direct payments, Republicans, Democrats, Economy, Bernie Sanders, Minimum Wage, Minimum wage increase, Politics >
- Breitbart News 02:02February 22, 2021Big Business Lobbies Biden to Import Foreign Workers as 17M Americans Remain JoblessA coalition of business groups led by the United States Chamber of Commerce are lobbying President Joe Biden's administration to allow them to import foreign workers even as more than 17 million Americans remain jobless.
< Economy, Immigration, Politics, American workers, Big Business, Chamber of Commerce, foreign visa workers, Joe Biden, legal immigration, mass immigration, unemployment, wages >
- Business Insider 16:30February 19, 2021Almost all new jobs will be high-paying after Covid and most low-wage workers will have to change careers, McKinsey report saysAbout 17 million Americans will have to leave their jobs and transition into new ones, McKinsey wrote in a report on the future of work.
< Economy, Markets, low wages, Minimum Wage, k-shaped recovery, job loss, Unemployment, Economy >
- Business Insider 12:19February 19, 2021Janet Yellen pushes for $1.9 trillion in stimulus after weak jobs numbers, saying there's 'so much pain' in the economyThe Treasury secretary pointed out that if the US unemployment rate is "properly measured" it's close to 10%.
< Markets, Markets, Stimulus, Janet Yellen, Stimulus checks, US Economy and Markets, Jobless Claims, Retail Sales, Treasury Secretary, Unemployment, Stimulus bill >
- Business Insider 21:45February 18, 2021Pelosi says House Democrats are aiming to vote on their $1.9 trillion stimulus package at the end of next weekDemocrats want to enact President Joe Biden's rescue package by mid-March to head off the expiration of federal unemployment programs.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Nancy Pelosi, Joe Biden, Stimulus, Coronavirus relief, Federal unemployment benefits, Unemployment insurance, Democrats, Republicans, Debt, Direct payments, Stimulus checks, Stimulus timeline, Economy, Policy >
- Business Insider 16:44February 18, 2021US weekly jobless claims unexpectedly jump to 861,000 as Democrats make sluggish stimulus progressContinuing claims, which track Americans receiving unemployment benefits, dropped slightly to 4.5 million for the week that ended February 6.
< Economy, Markets, Economy, Economic Data, Initial Claims, Initial Jobless claims, US jobless claims, Jobless Claims, Unemployment benefits, unemployment filings, Labor Market, Labor market data, BI Graphics, Andy Kiersz >
- The Guardian(UK) 16:43February 18, 2021'Deafening silence': UK government blasted over delays to employment reformsEx-Whitehall tsar questions Tories’ desire to safeguard workers’ rights amid legislation delays Coronavirus – latest updatesSee all our coronavirus coverageThe government has been accused of dragging its heels on promised reforms to zero-hours contracts and the gig economy as legislation to protect workers faces serious delays.New legislation intended to bolster protections for Britain’s most vulnerable workers will not be ready until the end of the year at the earliest, raising fresh questions about the government’s promise to protect workers’ rights after Brexit. Continue reading...
< Economic recovery, Economic policy, Unemployment, Rishi Sunak, Business, Economics, Politics, UK job furlough scheme, Society, Coronavirus, Conservatives, Gig economy, Zero-hours contracts, UK news >
- Breitbart News 16:33February 18, 2021Jobless Claims Jump to 861,000, Much Worse Than ExpectedNew weekly jobless claims unexpectedly rose by 13,000 to 861,000 in the week that ended February 13, the Department of Labor said Thursday.
< Economy, jobless claims, unemployment >
- Breitbart News 07:23February 17, 2021Joe Biden Recommits to Amnesty for Illegal Aliens as 17M Americans Are JoblessPresident Joe Biden recommitted on Tuesday that he wants to pass an amnesty for 11 to 22 million illegal aliens living in the United States even as more than 17 million Americans remain jobless.
< Economy, Immigration, Politics, Amnesty, Illegal Aliens, illegal immigration, Joe Biden, mass immigration, unemployment >
- Business Insider 01:01February 17, 2021Democrats in Congress are ramping up efforts to enact Biden's $1.9 trillion stimulus package within the next monthHouse Democrats say a floor vote on Joe Biden's stimulus plan could come late next week. Republicans strongly oppose it.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Joe Biden, Stimulus, Congress, Democrats, Republicans, Federal unemployment benefits, Direct payments, Stimulus checks, Biden administration, Coronavirus relief, Economy, Policy >
- Business Insider 00:04February 17, 2021Biden's $1.9 trillion stimulus plan is popular with voters, but it's crashing into strong Republican resistance in CongressCongressional Republicans say the package is bloated with measures like cash payments for families and aid to state and local governments.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Joe Biden, Republicans, Democrats, Stimulus checks, Federal unemployment benefits, Direct payments, Unemployment insurance, Mitch McConnell, Susan Collins, Policy, Economy >
- Business Insider 23:43February 16, 2021Biden asked for 6 months of extra unemployment benefits. Here's why House Democrats gave him 5.President Joe Biden called for unemployment benefits to be extended through September, but the House Ways and Means committee cut that a month short.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Policy, Politics, Economy, Biden, Richard Neal, Ways and Means, Unemployment, Unemployment benefits, Stimulus >
- Business Insider 23:10February 16, 2021Boosted unemployment benefits supported the labor market better than expected, University of Chicago study saysExtra unemployment payments during the pandemic boosted consumer spending while also keeping more Americans in jobs, the UChicago study found.
< Economy, Markets, Economy, Unemployment benefits, University of chicago, economic research, Unemployment insurance, Unemployment aid, Jobless Claims, Unemployment crisis, Fiscal Stimulus, coronavirus economy, Coronavirus economic relief, Stimulus, CARES Act, Safety net >
- Business Insider 16:50February 14, 2021About half of unemployed Americans are not feeling too hopeful about finding a job any time soonA recent survey by Pew Research Center of 715 unemployed US adults looked into their feelings about job prospects and life during the pandemic.
< Economy, Pew Research Center, Unemployed, Unemployment, Pew Research, BI Graphics >
- Business Insider 16:35February 13, 2021Joe Biden is continuing his push to approve his $1.9 trillion stimulus package even as the Trump impeachment trial proceedsA vote in Congress on Biden's relief package with stimulus checks appeared possible within weeks as Democrats push to enact it by early March.
< Politics, Economy, Joe Biden, Stimulus, Congress, Republicans, Democrats, Federal unemployment benefits, Direct payments, Nancy Pelosi, Chuck Schumer, Stimulus checks, State Aid >
- Business Insider 23:29February 12, 2021A 2nd Democratic senator has come out against the $15 minimum wage in Biden's stimulus package, imperiling the pay bumpThe $15 minimum wage in the Biden relief plan may have received a fatal blow as Sen. Kyrsten Sinema said she opposed it.
< Politics, Markets, Economy, Bernie Sanders, Joe Biden, Stimulus, Coronavirus relief, Federal unemployment benefits, Stimulus checks, Minimum Wage, $15 Minimum Wage, Congress, Republicans, Democrats, Joe Manchin >
- Business Insider 22:30February 12, 2021A $1,400 stimulus check will allow 22.6 million Americans to pay their bills in full through mid-July, new report findsA $1,400 stimulus check will help Americans support themselves through mid-July, but unemployment aid and automatic stabilizers are still needed.
< Economy, Biden, Economy, Stimulus, stimulus check, Ways and Means, Ron Wyden, Unemployment aid, Unemployment, Politics >
- Business Insider 18:02February 12, 2021One chart shows how Main Street feels blue as Wall Street hits record highsWhile the stock market may be on the uptick, unemployment rates remain high - and may not return to pre-pandemic levels for a decade.
< Economy, Markets, Unemployment, Unemployment crisis, Inequality, Wall Street, Main Street, Economy, Markets >
- Business Insider 17:04February 12, 2021The US jobs market is a mess. It won't heal unless the government stays out of the way of people building new businesses.New businesses provide new opportunities for the jobless. If we want to build back jobs, we have to look to the entrepreneurs of the country.
< Opinion, Economy, Politics, Opinion, BI Commentary, Jobs, Economy, Unemployment, Entrepreneur, Capitalism, Market and Economy >
- Breitbart News 18:26February 11, 2021Total Jobless Claims Jump Past 20 Million While Democrats Push ImpeachmentThe total number of people receiving unemployment benefits rose to 20.4 million in the week ended January 23.
< Economy, Politics, unemployment >
- Business Insider 16:46February 11, 2021US weekly jobless claims drop less than expected to 793,000 as labor recovery stagnatesContinuing claims, which track Americans receiving unemployment benefits, fell to 4.5 million for the week that ended January 30.
< Economy, Markets, Economy, Economic Data, Initial Claims, Initial Jobless claims, US jobless claims, Jobless Claims, Unemployment, Unemployment benefits, unemployment filings, Labor Market, Labor market data, BI Graphics, Andy Kiersz >
- Breitbart News 16:42February 11, 2021Jobless Claims Inch LowerNew claims for unemployment benefits fells slightly last week to 793,000, a decline of 19,000 from the prior week's upwardly revised figure.
< Economy, unemployment >
- Breitbart News 02:04February 11, 2021Exclusive--Dan Stein: The Biden Betrayal of 'America Last'Apparently, President Joe Biden thinks of immigration like he does stimulus money – a freebie for a favored constituency.
< Immigration, Politics, Asylum Claims, borders, caravans, corporate elite, globalist, H-1B program, pandemic, refugees, tech oligarchs, unemployment >
- Business Insider 00:05February 11, 2021The Fed says US unemployment is actually about 10% - nearly double the official rate and matching the worst of the Great RecessionFed chair Jerome Powell said the unemployment rate is likely higher than 6.3%. It may strengthen Democratic calls for a large stimulus package.
< Politics, Economy, Markets, Federal Reserve, Jerome Powell, Joe Biden, Unemployment Rate, jobless rate, Stimulus, Unemployment insurance, Congress, Republicans, Democrats, Bernie Sanders >
- Business Insider 20:36February 10, 202111.4 million Americans are facing an unemployment benefit cliff if Congress doesn't act soon, new report findsIf Congress doesn't pass a stimulus package by March 14, millions of Americans will be suddenly cut off from unemployment aid.
< Economy, Politics, Unemployment, Unemployment benefits, Biden, Economy, Politics, Ways and Means, Stimulus >
- Business Insider 19:17February 10, 2021The poorest Americans can expect to see a 33% income boost with stimulus checks and tax credit expansions, new report findsThe poorest 20% of Americans will see significant benefits from $1,400 stimulus checks, child benefits, and the Earned Income Tax Credit expansion.
< Economy, Ways and Means, Child tax credit, Earned Income Tax Credit, Stimulus, stimulus check, Economy, Politics, Unemployment >
- Business Insider 00:51February 10, 2021Biden supports keeping the income thresholds for $1,400 stimulus checks as more Democrats push back against curbing eligibilitySen. Bernie Sanders criticized efforts to restrict the income thresholds, along with the freshman Democratic senators from Georgia.
< Politics, Markets, Joe Biden, Stimulus, Coronavirus relief, Federal unemployment benefits, Unemployment insurance, Direct payments, Congress, Republicans, Democrats, White House, Susan Collins, Bill Cassidy >
- Business Insider 22:41February 9, 2021Both of Georgia's Democratic senators oppose cutting eligibility for $1,400 stimulus checks in the Biden relief packageWarnock and Ossoff are emerging as advocates for swift federal action in a bid to fulfill campaign pledge of stimulus relief.
< Politics, Economy, Markets, Policy, Jon Ossoff, Raphael Warnock, Joe Biden, Stimulus, Direct payments, Stimulus checks, Unemployment benefits, Congress, Republicans, Democrats, Chuck Schumer, Trump impeachment, Economy >
- Business Insider 22:31February 9, 2021Democrats propose $50 billion in small business aid as part of larger pandemic relief planThe House Small Business Committee bill included $25 billion for restaurant aid and $7.5 billion in additional Paycheck Protection Program funding.
< Economy, Nydia Velazquez, Small Business, small business aid, Unemployment, Minimum Wage, Stimulus, Economy, Politics, Paycheck Protection Program (PPP), Economic Injury Disaster Loan >
- Business Insider 19:07February 9, 2021275,000 more women left the labor force in JanuaryWhile January's overall unemployment rate was 6.3%, the National Women's Law Center found 8.5% of Black women age 20 and over were unemployed.
< Economy, Inequality, Gender, Gender at Work, Unemployment, Jobs, Jobs Report >
- Business Insider 18:39February 9, 2021House Democrats unveil stimulus measures to extend $400 monthly unemployment benefits through the end of AugustThis measure contrasts with President Joe Biden's proposal to extend unemployment benefits through the end of September.
< Economy, Richard Neal, Biden, Ways and Means, Education, Labor, Unemployment, Unemployment benefits, Stimulus, Ron Wyden, Minimum Wage, Economy, Politics >
- Business Insider 18:27February 9, 2021US job openings jumped by 74,000 in December as the labor market unexpectedly nosedivedThe country's hiring rate dropped to 3.9% from 4.2%. That's the same level seen before the pandemic despite 10 million Americans looking for jobs.
< Economy, Markets, Economy, JOLTS, Job Openings and Labor Turnover survey, Labor market data, Labor Market, US Labor Market, Economic Data, Economic Indicators, Unemployment crisis, coronavirus economy, coronavirus economic impact >
- Business Insider 03:37February 9, 2021House Democrats dismiss efforts to scale back eligibility for $1,400 stimulus checksHouse Democrats unveiled the first draft of COVID-19 stimulus legislation, which Democratic lawmakers are racing to pass by the end of February.
< Politics, News, House Democrats, stimulus check, Stimulus checks, stimulus check income limit, coronavirus, COVID-19, coronavirus aid, Federal unemployment benefits, Direct payments, Joe Biden, Congress, Republicans, Democrats, White House >
- Business Insider 21:54February 8, 2021Raising the federal minimum wage to $15 an hour would lift 900,000 people out of poverty while adding $54 billion to the deficit, CBO report findsAlthough raising the minimum wage to $15 an hour would reduce poverty, it will also reduce employment and increase the deficit, according to the CBO.
< Economy, CBO, Bernie Sanders, Biden, Minimum Wage, Economy, Politics, Unemployment, budget deficit, Budget, Labor >
- Breitbart News 04:41February 8, 2021Millions of Americans Projected to Remain Jobless as Biden Packs U.S. Labor Force with Foreign WorkersMillions of Americans are projected to remain jobless for the next three to four years, according to the Congressional Budget Office (CBO), though President Joe Biden is looking to fill American jobs with foreign workers.
< Immigration, Politics, Biden, foreign workers, Joe Biden, mass immigration, unemployment >