- Business Insider 01:13January 20, 2020Virginia wants to prevent another 'Unite the Right' at an MLK Day gun rally that set off a state of emergencyREUTERS/Michael A. McCoy An annual gun-rights rally is expected to take place Monday morning in Richmond, Virginia, on MLK Day.
There are growing fears about the potential of violence at the event, causing Gov. Richard Northam to temporarily ban firearms from the State Capitol building and declare a state of emergency.
Both houses of the Virginia legislature were taken by Democrats in 2019, prompting new efforts in the state to enact stricter gun laws.
Three arrests have already been made ahead of the rally on Monday.
Visit Insider's homepage for more stories. An annual gun-rights rally is scheduled to occur Monday, though the lead up to the rally organized by a Virginia gun-rights group has already caused a stir. From arrests made by the FBI, to the groups that say they plan to attend the rally, here is what we know so far.The rally was organized by The Virginia Citizens Defense League, which puts on the rally every year as part of their annual lobbying day.
REUTERS/Michael A. McCoy
The rally is organized yearly by The Virginia Citizens Defense League. The group says the event – known as VCDL lobby day – is its most important event of the year. The organizers say they will meet outside the Virginia State Capitol between 7:30 and 8:00 a.m. Monday in order to go inside the building to lobby legislators.
The rally portion of the event will begin at 11:00 a.m., according to the VCDL.
While the rally occurs every year, there is particular interest in this year's rally could be more contentious because Democrats took control of both the Virginia House and Senate this year.
REUTERS/Michael A. McCoy
Democrats are now in power in Virginia, which has some gun-rights advocates worried. The state has had a Democrat at the helm since 2014, with current Gov. Ralph Northam taking over from fellow Democrat Terry McAuliffe after Northam was elected in 2017.
Virginia Democrats took control of both houses in the state legislature – the Senate and the House of Delegates – following the November 2019 election. Democrats won 21 of 40 seats in the state Senate, taking control from Republicans. Democrats also won a 54-43 majority in the House of Delegates, also taking control from state Republicans, per The Washington Post.
Per The Post report, the 2019 election results mean Democrats have the power in the state for the first time in 26 years.
The Virginia state legislature has put forth gun-reform legislation that has worried gun-rights advocates.
REUTERS/Michael A. McCoy
Three gun-control bills have recently passed the Virginia Senate, according to WTKR. SB 35 would allow any locality to prohibit the carrying of firearms or ammunition during permitted events or any other events that would require a permit.
SB 69 would prohibit individuals who aren't firearms dealers from purchasing more than one handgun each month – though there are exceptions made to the proposal, including to law enforcement officers, people who work for private security companies, individuals who have a concealed-carry handgun permit, and other special circumstances so long as an individual has based a background check by the Virginia State Police, WTKR reported.
SB 70 would require background checks for any firearm transfer. There are some exemptions to this bill, including one that allows trades between family members without a background check. SB 35 and 69 passed the Senate along party lines, WTKR noted, while SB 70 had support from all state Democrats and two Republicans. The bills must now be considered by the House of Delegates before Northam could sign them into law.
See the rest of the story at Business InsiderSee Also:50 stunning wildlife photos that will make you see animals in a whole new light7 great movies you can watch on Netflix this weekendVirginia's governor declared a state of emergency and banned firearms at the Capitol ahead of a gun rally, citing a 'credible threat'
< Features, Guns, Virgina, NRA, charlottesville, >
- Breitbart News 21:31January 19, 2020Washington Post Presents Virginia Gun Rally as Charlottesville 2.0The Washington Post is previewing the January 20, Virginia gun rights rally in a way that suggests a Charlottesville 2.0.
< 2nd Amendment, Politics, Charlottesville, Second Amendment, Virginia >
- Breitbart News 08:13January 18, 2020President Trump: Virginia Proves Again Democrats 'Will Take Your Guns'On January 17, 2020, President Donald Trump pointed to the gun control situation in Virginia, noting that it proves once more the Democrats "will take your guns" if voted into office.
< 2020 Election, 2nd Amendment, Politics, AWR Hawkins, Democrat Gun Control, Democrats, Donald Trump, gun control, Ralph Northam, Second Amendment, Virginia >
- New York Magazine 04:23January 17, 2020FBI Arrests 3 Suspected Neo-Nazis Ahead of VA Rally Catching Far-Right AttentionThe three far-right paramilitaries are connected to the neo-Nazi group the Base, and allegedly discussed attending the gun-rights rally in Richmond.
< white nationalism, the far-right, politics, virginia, ralph northam >
- Breitbart News 04:13January 17, 2020Illegal Alien from Canada Allegedly Planned Attack at Virginia Gun RallyThree men who reportedly have ties to a neo-Nazi group and had allegedly discussed attacking a Virginia gun rally next week were arrested and charged with breaking federal gun and immigration laws on Thursday.
< Crime, Immigration, Local, attack, Brian Mark Lemley, Canada, Illegal Aliens, neo-Nazi, Patrik Mathews, The Base, Virginia, William Garfield Bilbrough IV >
- Breitbart News 04:48January 16, 2020VA Governor Bans Guns on State Capitol Grounds, Declares 'State of Emergency'Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam (D) declared a "state of emergency" Wednesday, putting in place a temporary prohibition of exercising Second Amendment rights on Capitol grounds.
< 2nd Amendment, Politics, Gov. Ralph Northam, gun control, Second Amendment, Virginia >
- New York Magazine 03:36January 16, 2020Virginia Gov. Declares State of Emergency Before Pro-Gun Rally in RichmondTaking no chances after Charlottesville, Gov. Northam declared a state of emergency ahead of Lobby Day, which has attracted far-right demonstrators.
< politics, alt-right, gun control, virginia, ralph northam, charlottesville, richmond, unite the right, the far-right >
- New York Magazine 01:39January 16, 2020Virgin Islands AG Sues Epstein Estate, Claims He Trafficked ‘Hundreds’ of GirlsThe lawsuit states he trafficked ‘hundreds’ of girls — potentially as young as 11, and as late as 2018 — and led a manhunt for an escaped 15-year-old.
< jeffrey epstein, virgin islands, little st. james >
- New York Magazine 00:59January 16, 2020Will Virginia Revive the ERA?But Republicans say the window for ratifying the amendment has closed.
< women's suffrage, feminism, equal rights amendment, virginia, christian right >
- Business Insider 22:36January 15, 2020Epstein trafficked and abused dozens of young girls at his private island in the Caribbean in a 'trafficking pyramid scheme,' a new lawsuit saysREUTERS/Marco Bello Sex offender Jeffrey Epstein used his private Virgin Islands property as part of a vast sex trafficking scheme that exploited girls as young as 12 years old, a new lawsuit alleged Wednesday.
The lawsuit was filed by the attorney general of the Virgin Islands against Epstein's estate. The financier died by suicide in his jail cell last August as he awaited trial.
The lawsuit alleged Epstein and his associates would find and recruit female victims — including children — and bring them to the Virgin Islands, where they endured countless abuses and were prevented from leaving.
One particularly disturbing allegation described a 15-year-old victim who was "forced into sexual acts with Epstein and others and then attempted to escape by swimming off the Little St. James island."
Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories. A new lawsuit filed against Jeffrey Epstein's estate has alleged that the sex offender lured girls and young women to his private Virgin Islands hideaway, where he and his associates coerced and forced them into sexual servitude in what prosecutors described as a "trafficking pyramid scheme."
The lawsuit was filed Wednesday by the attorney general of the Virgin Islands, Denise George. It alleged that Epstein and his associates used his Little St. James property as part of a criminal conspiracy to find and recruit female victims — including children — and bring them to the Virgin Islands, where the girls endured countless abuses and were prevented from leaving.See the rest of the story at Business InsiderNOW WATCH: Last minute gift wrapping? Here's how to wrap your present in under 2 minutes.See Also:All 91 Oscar best-picture winners, ranked from worst to best by movie criticsAndrew isn't the only prince with ties to a sex offender: Prince Charles once supported a bishop convicted of molesting more than a dozen young menThe video from outside Jeffrey Epstein's cell during his first suicide attempt has been deleted, and prosecutors say the jail is to blame
< Jeffrey Epstein, little st. james, Virgin Islands, Sex Trafficking, Sexual Abuse, >
- Observer 15:00January 15, 2020Virgin Galactic’s Top Priority Is to Fly Richard Branson to Space by His 70th BirthdayThe company plans to re-open ticket sales to the public later this year.
< 2019 IPO, Blue Origin, Morgan Stanley space summit, Space Tourism, Space Travel, SpaceX, Virgin Galactic >
- Business Insider 19:06January 14, 2020What it's like to travel on Flybe, the budget airline used by the royals that's fighting to stay in businessimrankhan1504 via Shutterstock and Scott 05 / Flight-Report Budget airline Flybe is on the brink of bankruptcy, outlets such as Sky News are reporting, though the airline said in a statement on Sunday that "we don't comment on rumor or speculation."
It is the largest regional airline in the UK, handling about 40% of domestic traffic.
The airline appears to be a favorite of the royals, too — Kate Middleton, Prince William, and their children flew on Flybe in August.
Users of the airline review website Flight-Report have praised it for being affordable, and also for good service.
However, reviews on TripAdvisor say entertainment and food options are limited. Flybe's bag policy has also been slammed on sites such as Trustpilot and Skytrax.
Here's what it's really like to travel with Flybe.
Visit Insider's homepage for more stories. British budget airline Flybe is on the verge of collapse, multiple outlets including Sky News are reporting, with the UK government considering reducing air passenger duty (APD) in order to save it.
Flybe employs around 2,000 people, and is Britain's largest regional airline, operating 189 routes across 12 countries in the UK and Europe.
It's known for its stringent bag policy, short flights (it has an average flight time of 55 minutes), and purple lights.
The royals also appear to be fans of the airline — in August 2019, Kate Middleton, her husband Prince William, and their children flew on Flybe from Norwich in England to the Scottish city of Aberdeen for around $89 each.
Despite the reports, Flybe has denied it's in trouble, saying in a statement on Monday: "Flybe continues to focus on providing great service and connectivity for our customers, to ensure that they can continue to travel as planned. We don't comment on rumor or speculation."
Using information from bloggers and websites including Flight-Report, TripAdvisor, Trustpilot, and Skytrax, Insider took a look at what it's really like to fly on the budget airline.Flybe operates numerous routes throughout the UK and Europe.
According to Flybe's website, the airline currently flies to more than 80 airports throughout Europe, with an emphasis on destinations in the United Kingdom.
It also handles almost 40% of domestic UK air traffic.
Geography Photos / Universal Images Group via Getty Images
Flybe's website says the airline flew about eight million passengers in 2019. It also reports that the airline offers 189 routes across 12 countries, making it the largest regional airline in Europe.
The bulk of its fleet is made up of Bombardier Q400 Dash 8 planes, which seat 78 people.
According to the aviation blog Planespotters, there are currently 71 planes in Flybe's fleet. Most of those (54) are twin-propelled Bombardier Q400 Dash 8s.
Flybe also used to fly Boeing 737-300s, according to Planespotters, but stopped using them in 2006.
See the rest of the story at Business InsiderSee Also:A pilot made history by becoming the first HIV positive person to fly a commercial plane after challenging a discriminatory banPrince Harry and Prince William made a rare joint statement denying that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex were 'bullied' out of the royal familyPrince Harry and Meghan Markle are at war with the media — and their split from the Royal family shows they are fighting to win
< Features, Lifestyle UK, Flybe, Airline, Business, Money, Travel, kate middleton, Prince William, royals, UK, Britain, Europe, Bankruptcy, Aviation, Transportation, Richard Branson, Virgin, Virgin Atlantic, >
- Breitbart News 18:11January 14, 2020VA Dems Drop AR-15 Confiscation After 1000s of NRA Members ShowVirginia Democrats withdrew an AR-15 confiscation bill Monday after thousands of NRA members showed up to oppose new gun controls.
< 2nd Amendment, Politics, Daniel Spiker, Gov. Ralph Northam, NRA, Second Amendment, Virginia >
- Business Insider 22:50January 13, 20205 biggest winners and losers in college basketball this weekNoah K. Murray-USA TODAY Sports The tenth week of the 2019-2020 basketball season has come and gone, and — as has become the norm this year — the AP Top 25 Poll has endured a shake-up this week.
For the fourth week in a row, the Gonzaga Bulldogs sit atop the college basketball rankings, but a number of big-name programs have fallen considerably or dropped out of the rankings altogether.
The reigning national champion Virginia Cavaliers fell out of the top 25 after losing to Boston College ans Syracuse, while the Ohio State Buckeyes slid 10 spots in the throes of a four-game skid.
The Big Ten leads all conferences with five teams in the AP Top 25 Poll, while the Big East and Big 12follow close behind with four apiece in the rankings.
Here are the five biggest winners and losers from Week 10 of the 2019-2020 college basketball season.
Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
▲ No. 2 Baylor Bears — Up 2 spots in the AP Top 25 Poll
Jamie Squire/Getty Images
The Baylor Bears had the biggest week in college basketball, and it's not even close. After 23 years in the Big 12, the Bears notched its first win against the conference heavyweight Kansas Jayhawks at Allen Fieldhouse — and they did so in dominant fashion. Baylor notched a 13-point win against Bill Self's Jayhawks in the notoriously hostile arena to take an early lead in the Big 12 standings. The Bears move on to face the Iowa State Cyclones and Oklahoma State Cowboys this week and will have to wait nearly a month before facing its next ranked opponent.
▲ No. 16 Wichita State Shockers — Up 7 spots in the AP Top 25 Poll
Peter G. Aiken/Getty Images
As tends to happen every year, the Wichita State Shockers started the college basketball season unranked but slowly crawled their way into the top 25. This week was a particularly good one for Gregg Marshall's squad, as they took down the then-No. 21 Memphis Tigers before taking down the Connecticut Huskies in double overtime on the road, good for a seven-point jump in the AP Poll. Wichita State is sitting pretty with Temple and Houston next on its schedule and just one top-25 matchup remaining in the regular season.
See the rest of the story at Business InsiderSee Also:Zion Williamson nearly stayed at Duke, but his family talked him into going pro at the last momentThe 37 highest-paid NFL players of all timeRANKED: The 10 most-streamed sports events on DAZN in 2019
< College Sports, Features, NCAA, College Basketball, Virginia Cavaliers, Michigan State Spartans, Ohio State Buckeyes, Baylor Bears, >
- Breitbart News 07:08January 13, 2020NRA Handing Out 30-Round Mags in VA to Fight Northam Gun BanThe NRA will be handing out 1,000 30-round magazines in the Virginia Capitol City of Richmond Monday as part of the fight against Gov. Ralph Northam's (D) gun grab.
< 2020 Election, 2nd Amendment, Politics, "High Capacity" Magazines, gun control, Magpul, Mark Levine, NRA, Ralph Northam, Second Amendment, Virginia >
- Business Insider 05:36January 7, 2020'It's 2020 – girls can do anything': Congresswoman fires back at former Navy SEAL opponent after he refers to her as 'these girls' in sexist remarkSteve Helber/AP Former Republican Rep. Scott Taylor of Virginia — in remarks declaring his candidacy for a US House seat on Monday — referred to a group of congresswomen with national security backgrounds as "these girls" who "tout their national security background all the time."
"These girls that have national security backgrounds, they came out way before there was any bit of evidence whatsoever, and they did so, in this op-ed, to create political cover for moderates to allow [House Speaker Nancy] Pelosi to move forward."
In another appearance on a radio show in October, the Republican referred to the congresswomen as "those girls," and claimed Pelosi had "used them and their veteran ... status as cover to be able to start an impeachment inquiry."
Democratic Rep. Elaine Luria of Virginia, a retired US Navy officer, issued a statement in response to Taylor: "Yes, I am a girl. I may wear heels now, but I wore steel toed boots for 20 years in the Navy. It's 2020 – girls can do anything."
Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories. Former Republican Rep. Scott Taylor of Virginia referred to a group of congresswomen with national security backgrounds as "these girls" who "tout their national security background all the time." Taylor made the remark when he announced he was dropping his Senate bid for a US House seat on Monday.
Taylor, who is seeking the Republican nomination for a Virginia district currently represented by Democrat Elaine Luria, claimed a group of Democrats who previously worked in national security fields were immorally touting their service to justify impeaching President Donald Trump.See the rest of the story at Business InsiderNOW WATCH: We can thank the US military for the smelliest weapon in the worldSee Also:These are the biggest threats to the US in 2020How the Trump administration got into a showdown with Iran that could lead to warThe US is telling its citizens to get out of Iraq — but didn't mention its own airstrike is to blameSEE ALSO: Navy SEAL running for Congress kicked off his campaign in the wrong district
< Elaine Luria, Virginia, Scott Taylor, Elissa Slotkin, Iran, Navy SEAL, >
- Breitbart News 00:53January 2, 2020Virginia Poll: Donald Trump Leads 2020 Democrats, Except BidenPresident Donald Trump has more support than all top-tier 2020 Democrat candidates except for former Vice President Joe Biden in the state of Virginia, according to a poll released Tuesday.
< 2020 Election, Politics, 2020 Democratic Presidential Primary, 2020 election, Bernie Sanders, Donald Trump, Joe Biden, Pete Buttigieg, Virginia >
- Business Insider 19:47January 1, 20207 people were injured after a shooting in a West Virginia bar on New Year's DayYouTube/WKRG Seven people were injured in a shooting at a West Virginia bar early on New Year's Day, authorities said.
Huntington police said initial information suggested the shooting involved a dispute between individuals.
The victims' conditions remain unclear.
Visit Insider's homepage for more stories. HUNTINGTON, W. Va. (AP) — Seven people were injured after being shot at a bar in West Virginia early New Year's Day, police said.
The shooting happened early Wednesday at the Kulture Hookah Bar in Huntington, interim Huntington Police Chief Ray Cornwell said in a news release.See the rest of the story at Business InsiderSee Also:Songwriter Allee Willis, whose work included the 'Friends' theme song, dies at 72A former Royal Caribbean worker reveals the one question you should always ask cruise ship employees50 foods that Costco employees and members love
< Associated Press, West Virginia, Shooting, New Year's Day, >
- Breitbart News 16:38January 1, 2020Pope Francis: Violence Against Women Is ‘Blasphemy Against God’“Every form of violence inflicted upon a woman is a blasphemy against God, who was born of a woman,” said Pope Francis in his New Year’s Day homily in the Vatican.
< Faith, London / Europe, Blessed Virgin Mary, Catholic Church, Christianity, Pope Francis, Vatican >
- Guardian 13:00January 1, 2020Top 10 books about new beginningsFrom Virginia Woolf to Lorrie Moore and Diana Wynne Jones, fresh starts provide an endless source of inspiration for fictionThe other night I dreamed it was my last day of high school. I was gathering schoolbooks when something caught my eye: lettuce leaves, lying on the carpet. Perfect! I thought, scooping them up and packing them. Now I won’t be hungry at university next year! I woke still glowing with pride.Since that dream, I’ve been thinking about how neatly education arranges life into endings and beginnings. You finish one segment, take a summer holiday, and step into the next – nervous, excited – and equipped, if you have my sort of foresight, with a handful of rotting lettuce leaves. But grownup life is more chaotic. There are plenty of potential beginnings – jobs, partners, dietary changes, but nobody has drawn up a schedule. Changes tend to be flung at you, or depend on your own efforts. Continue reading...
< Fiction, Lorrie Moore, Books, Culture, Children and teenagers, Diana Wynne Jones, Virginia Woolf, Kate Atkinson >
- Business Insider 21:09December 31, 2019West Virginia's governor just fired an entire group of prison guard trainees after they posed with Nazi salutes in a class photoYouTube/CBS Evening News West Virginia's governor fired an entire class of prison guard trainees after they made Nazi salutes in a posed photo.
An investigation found that the class had been making the salutes throughout their academy training in an effort to "hail" their instructor because she was "a hard-ass like Hitler."
The instructor, Karrie Byrd, ordered the cadets to use the salute in their class photo, even insisting the photo be retaken multiple times to ensure all students participated, the investigation said.
Visit Insider's homepage for more stories. West Virginia's governor fired an entire class of prison guard trainees after an internal investigation found that they posed with Nazi salutes in a class photo at their instructor's direction.
Gov. Jim Justice, a Republican, announced Monday that he had reviewed the investigation and approved a list of recommendations from the cabinet secretary, which included firing all cadets and one staff member, and suspending four other instructors who saw the photos or witnessed the salutes.See the rest of the story at Business InsiderNOW WATCH: A podiatrist explains heel spurs, the medical condition Trump said earned him a medical deferment from VietnamSee Also:A Colorado woman used a 'false wall' to hide 26 toddlers in a daycare she ran in her basement, police sayAn Illinois woman got stuck on the face of a cliff for 9 hours on Christmas Eve and was rescued after screaming for help2 passengers say they were sexually assaulted during their flights. They're suing the airline for allegedly ignoring their reports.
< West Virginia, nazi salute, Jim Justice, YahooAdd, >
- New York Magazine 07:44December 31, 2019Entire West Virginia Correctional Officer Class Fired After Nazi Salute PhotoGovernor Jim Justice fired almost 30 correctional officer trainees who posed in a Nazi salute for a class photo.
< politics, white nationalism, west virginia >
- Breitbart News 07:30December 29, 2019Washington Post Pronounces VA Gov. Ralph Northam ‘Back from the Dead’ After Blackface, Infanticide ScandalsThe Washington Post editorial board pronounced Friday that Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam has miraculously come “back from the political dead.”
< Media, Politics, Social Justice, blackface, Cliff Sims, double standard, infanticide, Karen Tumulty, liberal media, racial equity, racism, Ralph Northam, Virginia, Washington Post >
- Breitbart News 23:27December 28, 2019Walter E. Williams Warns Virginia About Gov. Ralph Northam's Gun Registry PlanColumnist and George Mason economics Professor Walter E. Williams is warning Virginians about Gov. Ralph Northam's (D) gun registry plan.
< 2nd Amendment, Politics, James Madison, Ralph Northam, Second Amendment, Second Amendment Sanctuary, Thomas Jefferson, Virginia >
- Observer 15:00December 23, 20192019’s Top 7 Tech IPO Flops—And Those Set for a Major 2020 ReboundFake meat, space tourism, creative pet supply... 2019 has seen it all.
< 2019 IPO, Beyond Meat, Chewy, Fake Meat, Microsoft Teams, pinterest, ride sharing, Slack, Space Tourism, uber, Virgin Galactic >
- Business Insider 22:12December 22, 2019Dozens of people are injured after a massive, 63-car pileup crash on a Virginia interstateVirginia State Police via AP A massive pileup damaged more than 60 cars on a major Virginia interstate.
Police said that 35 people were transported for treatment of injuries after the morning crash on a road near Williamsburg.
Virginia State Police tweeted that fog and ice along a bridge tripped up some cars that turned into a massive chain-reaction wreck.
Visit Insider's homepage for more stories. WILLIAMSBURG, Va. (AP) — A pileup involving more than 60 cars on a major interstate in Virginia on Sunday morning injured dozens of people, some critically, according to state police.
The accident happened just before 8 a.m. Sunday on Interstate 64 in York County near Williamsburg and for a time shut down traffic in both directions, Virginia State Police Sgt. Michelle Anaya said in a statement.See the rest of the story at Business InsiderNOW WATCH: A podiatrist explains heel spurs, the medical condition Trump said earned him a medical deferment from VietnamSee Also:The sheriff's deputy seen slamming an 11-year-old onto the ground in a viral video has been charged with assaultEllie Goulding jumped out of her vehicle to help a driver whose car was pushed by a truck along a busy highwayThe South Carolina football fan who inspired the movie 'Radio' has died at 73
< Virginia, Car Crash, Police, Associated Press, >
- Breitbart News 19:21December 22, 2019Poll: Trump in Dead Heat with 2020 Democrats in VirginiaPresident Donald Trump has entered a dead heat with the leading 2020 presidential Democrats in Virginia, according to a poll released Friday.
< 2020 Election, 2nd Amendment, Politics, Bernie Sanders, Donald Trump, Elizabeth Warren, George W. Bush, Joe Biden, Virginia >
- Huffington Post UK 09:00December 21, 2019The Story Behind Why This Man Let A Complete Stranger Have His First Class Seat
< travel, HumanKind, flying, planes, Virgin Atlantic, First Class, humankind, virgin-atlantic, first-class, LIFE, lifestyle >
- Business Insider 17:32December 20, 2019Photos show the emotional moment Miss Virginia Camille Schrier was crowned the winner of Miss America 2020Miss America Organization Camille Schrier was crowned Miss America 2020 at the Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Connecticut, on Thursday.
Schrier hails from Virginia, and works as a biochemist.
To display her affinity for science during the pageant, Schrier performed an experiment as her talent.
She's also created a social-impact initiative called Mind Your Meds: Drug Safety and Abuse Prevention from Pediatrics to Geriatrics.
Visit Insider's homepage for more stories. Camille Schrier from Virginia has been named Miss America 2020.
She was awarded the title on Thursday during the annual competition, which was held this year at the Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Connecticut. Schrier was crowned by the pageant's previous winner, Nia Franklin, and looked emotional as she accepted her new role.See the rest of the story at Business InsiderNOW WATCH: Clinical psychologists debunk 25 of the most common myths about mental health and therapySee Also:Miss America judge Karamo Brown disagreed with the finalists after they said the winner should be single and without childrenPeople watching the revamped Miss America competition were thoroughly unimpressed26 showstopping looks from the Miss America pageant over the years
< Miss America 2020, Pageant, Model, Virginia, >
- Huffington Post UK 10:04December 17, 2019Deporting Immigrants Is 'Abhorrent’. Now Airline Staff Could Refuse To Take Part In Them
< Politics and Government, HuffPost, home office, British Airways, Virgin Atlantic, politics-and-government, huffpost, home-office, british-airways, virgin-atlantic, NEWS, news >
- Mashable 18:23December 11, 2019Ultrafast Virgin Media broadband on sale with free set-upTL;DR: The best ultrafast broadband deals from Virgin Media now have no set-up fees, making your switch to a new broadband provider even cheaper. If your WiFi is slowing you down, it may be time to bite the bullet and finally change your provider. If you want to avoid getting bogged down with slow internet again, we may have a solution.
Champions of fast broadband Virgin Media currently have a great deal on and won't charge you any set-up fees when switching over.
These broadband-only deals usually have a hefty £35 upfront fee to consider, so not having to consider that makes the move that little bit more affordable. Read more...More about Broadband, Virgin Media, Mashable Shopping, Shopping Uk, and Uk Deals
< Broadband, Virgin Media, Mashable Shopping, Shopping Uk, Uk Deals >
- Guardian 16:40December 11, 2019Top 10 dinner parties in fictionFrom Arthurian feasts to awkward moments with Ian McEwan and mealtime at the Macbeths, these miniature dramas are literary staples. Tuck inLife is full of stresses: death; divorce; disasters, natural and otherwise. But another stress under D in the dictionary of stresses is the Dinner Party. It’s a bit like opening a restaurant, it’s a bit like putting on a play, and it’s all for the benefit of people who are our friends or colleagues but also our audience, our guinea pigs, our judges.There’s so much that can go wrong: the food can be undercooked or overcooked – or perfectly cooked but not very good. The conversation can stall or it can turn into a competition or an argument or a shouting match. Continue reading...
< Fiction, Crime fiction, Books, Culture, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Ian McEwan, Tove Jansson, George Orwell, Virginia Woolf, Charles Dickens, William Shakespeare, Simon Armitage, Plato >
- Observer 22:47December 10, 2019Wall Street Has Finally Taken Notice of Richard Branson’s Virgin GalacticThe space tourism company's stock has tumbled over a third since its October IPO.
< credit suisse, Investment Bank, Morgan Stanley, space company, Space Tourism, Vertical Research Partners, Virgin Galactic, Wall Street >
- Breaking Defense 20:44December 10, 2019Get USS Kennedy Ready For F-35Cs, Congress Orders NavyThe Navy always planned to add F-35 modifications to its two brand-new aircraft carriers at a later date. But an annoyed Congress wants it done now.
< Congress, Naval Warfare, 2020 NDAA, Columbia-class submarine, f-35 joint strike fighter, F-35C, navy, USS Gerald Ford, USS Gerald R Ford CVN-78, USS John F Kennedy CVN-79, V-22, Virginia class submarine >
- Business Insider 22:35December 9, 2019Virgin Galactic leaps after Morgan Stanley says the company's stock can jump 203% over the next yearREUTERS/Luke MacGregor Virgin Galactic stock surged as much as 21% on Monday after Morgan Stanley initiated coverage on the company with a buy-equivalent rating
The firm said Virgin Galactic has the potential to "disrupt the multi-trillion-dollar airline" industry.
The bank also issued a $22 price target for the stock, implying a 203% surge through December 2020 from Friday's closing price.
Virgin Galactic's space tourism business will drive growth in the near term and help launch a hypersonic travel industry, the analysts wrote, predicting the new technology could drive $800 billion in annual sales by 2040.
Watch Virgin Galactic trade live here. Virgin Galactic traded as much as 21% higher Monday after Morgan Stanley initiated coverage on the stock with a buy-equivalent rating and forecasted dominance in the hypersonic-flight business.
Morgan Stanley also issued a $22 price target for the stock, saying the company offers "biotech-type risk/reward" and has the potential to "disrupt the multi-trillion-dollar airline" industry. The aerospace company closed last week at $7.26 per share, leading the bank's note to imply a 203% surge through December 2020.See the rest of the story at Business InsiderNOW WATCH: A big-money investor in juggernauts like Facebook and Netflix breaks down the '3rd wave' firms that are leading the next round of tech disruptionSee Also:These are the watches worn by some of the most powerful businessmen and CEOs in the worldFrom PewDiePie to Shane Dawson, these are the 26 most popular YouTube stars in the worldPreferred vs Reserve: How the Chase Sapphire credit cards stack up
< Space, Space Travel, Virgin Galactic, Virgin Galactic stock, Virgin Galactic stock price, Virgin, SPCE, Space Tourism, Planes, >
- Breitbart News 03:32December 8, 2019Virginia Sheriff Vows to 'Deputize Thousands' to Defend Gun RightsCulpeper County Sheriff Scott Jenkins says he will "deputize thousands" to defend gun rights should incoming Democrats use their legislative positions to enact more gun control in Virginia.
< 2nd Amendment, Politics, gun control, militia, Red Flag Laws, Second Amendment, Virginia >
- Business Insider 20:36December 3, 2019New York is considering a ban on 'virginity tests' after T.I. said he took his daughter to the gynecologist for hymen checksJohn Lamparski/Getty Images New York state lawmakers are considering banning "virginity testing," in the wake of T.I.'s admission that he accompanied his daughter to gynecology appointments to check if her hymen was intact.
Medical experts say it's a myth that intact hymens prove a woman's virginity.
The bill would penalize and even criminally charge doctors who perform such exams, and would make it sexual assault for anyone to perform the tests outside a medical setting.
The assemblywoman who introduced the bill, Michaelle Solages, told The New York Times she was "angry" and "just very upset" when she learned of T.I.'s remarks.
Visit Insider's homepage for more stories. New York state lawmakers are weighing a ban on "virginity testing" after the rapper T.I. sparked an uproar by announcing that he accompanied his teenage daughter to annual gynecology appointments to check if her hymen was still intact.
T.I. made the remarks during an interview with the "Ladies Like Us" podcast, revealing that doctors have tried to explain to him why virginity testing is flawed. He said he insisted they perform the tests on his daughter, Deyjah Harris, anyway.See the rest of the story at Business InsiderNOW WATCH: How to find water when you're stuck in the desertSee Also:Catholic schools in New York City are banning braids on black male students, and it's all perfectly legalDivision 1 female athletes are among those plagued by eating disorders, missing periods, and broken bonesA Pennsylvania bill would require death certificates for fertilized eggs that never implant in the uterus
< T.I., Virginity, Women's health, New York, >
- Huffington Post UK 13:58December 3, 2019Virginia Giuffre Speaks Out About Prince Andrew Accusations
< Royal Families, Jeffrey Epstein, Prince Andrew, Duke of York, Virginia Giuffre, virginia-roberts, royal-families, jeffrey-epstein, prince-andrew-duke-of-york, virginia-giuffre, NEWS, news, News & Politics (Video), news-politics-video >
- Huffington Post UK 13:45December 3, 2019Virginia Giuffre Speaks Out About Prince Andrew Accusations
< Prince Andrew, Virginia Roberts, Virginia Giuffre, Duke Of York, Jeffrey Epstein, BBC, Panorama >
- Business Insider 10:09December 3, 2019'I just didn't expect it from royalty': Prince Andrew accuser gives tear-filled interview and implores the British public to stand with herFlorida Southern District Court Virginia Giuffre, the woman who accused Prince Andrew of sexual abuse, opened up about her experience and implored the British public to stand behind her, in an interview with BBC.
"This is not some sordid sex story," Giuffre told the BBC. "This is a story of being trafficked. This is a story of abuse, and this is a story of your guys' royalty."
The Duke of York has long denied Giuffre's allegations, saying he does not remember meeting Giuffre despite a photo in which they appear together with Maxwell in the background.
Visit Insider's homepage for more stories. Virginia Giuffre, who claimed she was forced to have sexual relations with Prince Andrew at age 17, opened up about her experience on "being trafficked" and implored the British public to stand behind her.
Giuffre, who was previously known as Virginia Roberts, appeared on the BBC's "Panorama" to detail her alleged sexual abuse.See the rest of the story at Business InsiderNOW WATCH: People are still debating the pink or grey sneaker, 2 years after it went viral. Here's the real color explained.See Also:British police won't pursue criminal charges against Ghislaine Maxwell for her alleged involvement in Jeffrey Epstein's sex trafficking activitiesLawyers for the guards accused of napping the night Jeffrey Epstein died say their clients are being unfairly blamed for the jail's dysfunctionThe royal pencil Camila Cabello stole from Kensington Palace could be worth thousands, according to an antique expert
< Virginia Giuffre, prince andrew, Ghislaine Maxwell, Jeffrey Epstein, BBC, >
- Huffington Post UK 06:19December 3, 20195 Key Moments From Prince Andrew Accuser Virginia Giuffre's BBC Panorama Interview
< uk news, global news, Jeffrey Epstein, Prince Andrew, Ghislaine Maxwell, Virginia Giuffre, news, global-news, jeffrey-epstein, prince-andrew, ghislaine-maxwell, virginia-giuffre, NEWS >
- New York Times 03:49December 3, 2019Prince Andrew’s Accuser Takes Her Case to the BBCFor the first time Virginia Roberts Giuffre told a British television audience about a trip she took to London in 2001, during which she says she was ordered to have sex with Prince Andrew.
< Giuffre, Virginia Roberts, Andrew, Duke of York, Royal Families, Sex Crimes, Prostitution, British Broadcasting Corp, Epstein, Jeffrey E (1953- ), Great Britain >
- Business Insider 03:22December 3, 2019A bald eagle broke into an H&R Block building in Virginia Beach, and it's the most American thing you'll see all dayAdam Soos/Shutterstock A bald eagle was seen "hanging out" in an H&R Block in Virginia Beach after breaking through a window of the building.
Ali Weatherton, a reporter for local news station WVEC, posted a video of the unsuspecting eagle perched on the window of the building.
Bald eagles sightings were rare in the past, as the birds of prey were at the verge of extinction due to habitat destruction, illegal shooting, and food source contamination, according to the US Fish and Wildlife Service.
"The bald eagle has been the national bird of the United States since 1782, when it was placed with outspread wings on the Great Seal of our country," according to the Department of Veterans Affairs.
Visit Insider's homepage for more stories. Bird watching enthusiasts in Virginia Beach didn't have to make a trip to the local state park to capture views of the bald eagle — they just needed to get some tax help.
A bald eagle was seen "hanging out" in an H&R Block in Virginia Beach after breaking through a window of the building.See the rest of the story at Business InsiderNOW WATCH: Most maps of Louisiana aren't entirely right. Here's what the state really looks like.See Also:You can now officially purchase legal marijuana in Michigan. Here are all the states where marijuana is legal.8 insights from a design expert that will change the way you give PowerPoint presentationsThis map shows how the US really has 11 separate 'nations' with entirely different cultures
< Bald Eagle, H R Block, Virginia Beach, >
- Business Insider 02:18December 3, 2019The Navy just awarded its largest shipbuilding contract ever for 9 new attack submarinesUS Navy The Navy awarded a $22.2 billion contract to General Dynamics Electric Boat for nine new Virginia-class attack submarines, eight of which will have an 84-foot section that boosts the boat's strike missile capacity.
Its the largest shipbuilding contract the Navy has ever awarded, and it could grow by another $2 billion if the Navy exercises an option for a 10th sub.
Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories. WASHINGTON – The US Navy on Monday awarded its largest-ever shipbuilding contract to General Dynamics Electric Boat for construction of nine Virginia-class attack submarines, eight of which will have 84-foot section that boosts the boat's strike missile capacity.
The contract for the Block V Virginias, worth $22.2 billion, could grow by another $2 billion if the Navy exercises an option for a 10th boat. The contract is for two fewer boats than the 11 proposed by the fleet in this year's budget submission.See the rest of the story at Business InsiderNOW WATCH: Everything you've ever wanted to know about life on a US Navy submarineSee Also:A plan to add more Navy SEAL platoons has stalled amid discipline problemsTrump's Navy SEAL saga 'cuts to the core' of trust in the military, an Army combat veteran saysWhat Bashar Assad's victory looks like in Syria — 'totally and utterly triumphalist'SEE ALSO: The US is sending Europe a warning about an agreement that lets them keep an eye on Russia
< Defense News, News Contributor, U.S. Navy, General Electric, Electric Boat, Virginia-class submarine, Attack submarine, >
- Breaking Defense 01:44December 3, 2019Navy OKs Biggest Ever Deal: $22B for 9 Virginia SubsThe Navy is pushing full-speed ahead, and its acquisition chief said the service is prepared to make other programs pay to keep on track.
< Naval Warfare, Pentagon, boomers, Columbia-class submarine, navy, rep. joe courtney, Sen. Jack Reed, submarines, Virginia-class >
- Huffington Post UK 18:37November 27, 2019A Virgin Train Broke Down For 7 Hours And Those Stuck Described An Absolute Vision Of Hell
< uk news, virgin trains, news, virgin-trains, NEWS >
- New York Magazine 16:00November 27, 2019What’s the Point of Ralph Northam Anymore?If the knock against Republicans is that they’re racist and hostile to workers’ interests, this Democratic governor isn’t a bold enough contrast.
< racism, unions, ralph northam, virginia, justin fairfax, mark herring, republicans, democrats, politics >
- Breitbart News 20:21November 24, 2019Virginia Sheriff Will Not Enforce Unconstitutional Gun LawsAmelia County, Virginia, Sheriff Ricky L. Walker is making clear he will not enforce unconstitutional gun laws even if ordered to by a judge.
< 2nd Amendment, Politics, Gov. Ralph Northam, gun control, Second Amendment, Sheriff, Virginia >
- The Guardian 17:19November 24, 2019After 150 years, Vienna opera house stages first opera by a womanOlga Neuwirth’s adaption of Virginia Woolf’s Orlando deals with duality and trans identityThe hallowed stage of the Vienna State Opera has seen a lot: superstar performers, premieres, scandals and moments of musical history. But in all its 150 years, the house has never staged an opera written by a woman. That will change next month, with the premiere of Olga Neuwirth’s operatic version of Virginia Woolf’s novel Orlando: A Biography.“I really want to shake up this old-fashioned, beautiful, wonderful place a bit,” said Neuwirth, a 51-year-old Austrian composer, in a backstage interview during rehearsals at the opera house. Continue reading...
< Austria, Opera, Virginia Woolf, Transgender, Music, Europe, World news, Culture >
- Business Insider 22:26November 21, 2019Credit Suisse says investors should buy Virgin Galactic because of its 'near-term monopoly' in commercial space tourismVirgin Galactic Credit Suisse is recommending investors buy shares in the newly public space tourism company Virgin Galactic.
The firm's analysts initiated coverage of the company on Thursday with and "outperform" rating, citing its "near-term monopoly" in the commercial space industry.
Virgin Galactic entered the public markets in late October through a merger with Social Capital Hedosophia, a venture capital firm run by Chamath Palihapitiya.
Watch Virgin Galactic trade live on Markets Insider. Investors should buy newly public Virgin Galactic because of its "near-term monopoly" in the budding space tourism industry, Credit Suisse analyst wrote in a note to clients on Thursday.
"Our bullish view reflects the near-term monopoly SPCE offers in an industry (commercial space tourism) where public investment opportunities are scarce," the firm wrote. "We view this as a classic tech-driven high demand, low supply story with high barriers to entry."See the rest of the story at Business InsiderNOW WATCH: A big-money investor in juggernauts like Facebook and Netflix breaks down the '3rd wave' firms that are leading the next round of tech disruptionSee Also:The Wells Fargo Propel is arguably the best no-annual-fee personal credit card to open in 2019 — here's why14 things millennials do completely differently from their parentsThe best Kindles and ebook readers
< Virgin Galactic stock, Virgin Galactic stock price, Virgin Galactic, Space Tourism, Space, Commerical Space, >