- FoodieCrush 16:00November 21, 2019Heavenly Funeral Potatoes RecipeFuneral potatoes are an easy-to-make and even easier-to-love comfort food casserole that is totally heaven sent. This recipe is brought to you by Cache Valley Cheese The Best Funeral Potatoes Recipe If you grew up in Utah, there’s a 99.9% chance you’ve had (and loved) funeral potatoes. If you haven’t lived in Utah, you’re likelycontinue to the recipe... about Heavenly Funeral Potatoes Recipe
The post Heavenly Funeral Potatoes Recipe appeared first on foodiecrush.
< cheese, dinner, family friendly, recipes, salads and sides, seasonal : fall, seasonal : spring, seasonal : winter, sponsored, vegetables and fruits, chicken soup, corn flakes, easy, hash browns, onion, potatoes, side dish >
- Well Plated by Erin 14:30November 21, 2019Crockpot Egg CasseroleIn some iteration of my wildest dreams, I walk downstairs every morning to find a beautiful, filling, and wholesome breakfast prepared and waiting for me. The plates are white, the napkins cute and colorful, and a trendy bud vase filled with fresh blooms is at the center of the table. While I won’t be living […]
The post Crockpot Egg Casserole is found on Well Plated by Erin.
< Almost Vegetarian, Any Season, Breakfast/Brunch, Casseroles/Bakes, Christmas, Dairy Free, Easter, Entrees/Main Dishes, Gluten Free, Healthy Dinners, Mother's Day, Slow Cooker, Artichoke, Bell Pepper, Cheese, Chive, Egg, Feta, Fontina, Milk/Soymilk/Almond Milk, Shallot >
- Jo Cooks 00:45November 21, 2019Cranberry Pork RoastThis tender, flavorful Cranberry Pork Roast is super easy to prepare, yet looks and tastes like a gourmet meal. A holiday winner! Cranberry Pork Roast Sometimes you want something other than turkey for your holiday dinner, and for those times, this cranberry pork roast is perfect. Still elegant and impressive, but very little effort required. Succulent ... Get the Recipe The post Cranberry Pork Roast appeared first on Jo Cooks.
< Christmas, Dinner, Recipes, Thanksgiving, cranberry sauce, honey, orange zest, pork loin, pork roast >
- Huffington Post UK 21:19November 19, 2019Prince Andrew In Race Row – Yes, Another One
< uk news, uk politics, tony blair, Prince Andrew, Duke of York, Prince Andrew, State Dinner, jacqui smith, news, politics, tony-blair, prince-andrew-duke-of-york, prince-andrew, state-dinner, jacqui-smith, NEWS, Politics >
- Well Plated by Erin 14:45November 19, 2019Instant Pot Chicken Tikka MasalaThis healthy Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala recipe was inspired by the month I spent in India, otherwise known as 30 of the most delicious days of my life. We didn’t grow up eating Indian food so before I visited, I wasn’t even sure if I’d like it. Chicken tikka masala (and every Indian food […]
The post Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala is found on Well Plated by Erin.
< Any Season, Entrees/Main Dishes, Gluten Free, Healthy Dinners, Instant Pot, One Pan Meal, Recipe Videos, Chicken, Coconut Milk, Garlic, Ginger, Greek Yogurt, Onion, Peas, Rice >
- Jo Cooks 02:15November 19, 2019Arugula and Walnut Pesto PastaBring a splash of color to your table with this delicious Arugula and Walnut Pesto Pasta. A refreshing and healthy pesto ready in under 5 minutes making it perfect for your weeknight dinner rotation. Arugula and Walnut Pesto Pasta If you love the flavors of pesto, you will love the nuttiness of this arugula and ... Get the Recipe The post Arugula and Walnut Pesto Pasta appeared first on Jo Cooks.
< 30 Minutes or Less, Dinner, Healthy Eating, Italian, Lunch, Pasta, Recipes, Vegetarian, arugula, olive oil, parmesan cheese, pasta, pesto, walnut >
- FoodieCrush 17:03November 18, 2019Wet or Dry? How to Make the Best Turkey BrineFor the juiciest turkey on the block, brining the bird with salt results in a plump, moist, and flavorful turkey every time. But is a wet brine or a dry turkey brine better? I tested both, and these are my recipes and results. I discovered the genius of turkey brining several moons ago, and now,continue to the recipe... about Wet or Dry? How to Make the Best Turkey Brine
The post Wet or Dry? How to Make the Best Turkey Brine appeared first on foodiecrush.
< chicken and turkey, dinner, family friendly, healthy, How To, recipes, sauces and condiments, seasonal : fall, seasonal : winter, brine, Thanksgiving, turkey >
- Well Plated by Erin 14:04November 18, 2019Brussels Sprouts SlawThis fresh and crunchy Brussels Sprouts Slaw is just the kind of recipe I’m craving this week. It has the redeeming healthy factor I need in my routine (thank you, vegetables), but a few gourmet touches (almonds, Parmesan, and dates) make me feel pampered when I eat it. It can last for days in the […]
The post Brussels Sprouts Slaw is found on Well Plated by Erin.
< Any Season, Christmas, Easter, Fall, Gluten Free, Healthy Dinners, Salads, Side Dishes, Thanksgiving, Vegetarian, Winter, Almond, Brussels Sprouts, Cheese, Date, Dijon, Honey, Mustard, Nuts, Parmesan >
- Jo Cooks 02:45November 17, 2019Rigatoni con Polpette and Arrabiata SauceRigatoni con Polpette and Arrabiata Sauce – no doubt one of the best pasta dinners you can have. Casual yet sophisticated, this pasta dish is sure to please the entire family. Rigatoni con Polpette and Arrabiata Sauce Back to my love of meatballs. I really am a sucker for a good meatball and I really ... Get the Recipe The post Rigatoni con Polpette and Arrabiata Sauce appeared first on Jo Cooks.
< Beef, Dinner, Italian, Lunch, Pasta, Pork, Recipes, beef, hot sauce, meatballs, pasta, pork, rigatoni, sriracha, tomato sauce >
- Business Insider 17:30November 13, 2019Let's face it: Group birthday dinners suck. Here's how to make the experience more enjoyable for you and your wallet.Rawpixel.com / Shutterstock Group birthday dinners sound like they should be fun. But when it comes to splitting the check, or figuring out what food to order, things can get stressful.
Organizers should inform everyone of the cost when they begin planning and try to find something that's within everyone's budgets.
There's no one right way to deal with the check, but clearly communicate about how you're thinking of splitting it.
Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories. Can we talk for a minute about how much we secretly hate group birthday dinners? There never seems to be the right amount of food. God forbid you have any food allergies or don't want to drink that night. The long table inevitably makes it hard to socialize with more than two people at any given time. And when the bill comes … bring on the drama.
It usually goes down a little something like this: Everyone slowly reaches for their purse or wallet, perhaps hopeful that one generous soul will offer to foot the whole bill. Inevitably, that doesn't happen, so then the chorus of questions begins. "Are we seriously splitting this?" "Are we paying for the birthday girl and her husband?" "Who even chose this restaurant?" Eventually, the bill gets evenly split, with the exception of the birthday girl, who gets a free meal as her gift (in addition to the gift you may have already chipped in for). You walk away unhappy with the final cost, but you keep quiet to avoid starting a fight and looking like a miser.
It doesn't have to be this way. It's time to get your friends on board with a new way of doing things, stat. Establishing the "laws of the meal"
Noam Galai / Stringer / Getty Images
As soon as the group texts and emails are flowing and a restaurant is chosen, it's the responsibility of the dinner's organizers to do some research and let everyone know about how much the meal will cost, said Carolyn Hax, etiquette expert and Washington Post advice columnist. When this happens, people who signed up to celebrate won't be ambushed when the bill comes at the end of the night, which Hax said is a perpetual complaint about these kinds of events. Guests can then choose to opt out of the event if they feel they can't afford the meal, which helps them avoid the other two options of awkward conversations or paying something way out of line with their budget.
Another great option for party organizers is to select a restaurant that's within budget for everyone attending. "Know your audience," Hax said, then link to a menu and prepare guests for the cost, either by setting a spending limit per person, or sharing an estimate.
Another great move is to establish up front whether the group will be splitting the check, or if everyone will be paying for themselves. If you're all on separate checks, then treat yourself to whatever you'd like. But, if it's going to be an even split, or if one person is paying for the whole group, ordering an expensive entree is not appropriate, Hax said.
At the end of the day, who should pay?
Paul Bradbury/Getty Images
The thoughts on this are about as varied as the menu at any diner, if the members of the private HerMoney Facebook group are any indication. (What? You're not a member? Join us!) Maisa Sarsour-Hamdan, a 37-year-old from Tampa, said that guests should pay for their own entree and drinks, but split the cost of apps and desserts, and the organizer should pay for the birthday girl, unless someone else insists. Laurel Nelson, 31, from Salt Lake City, said she likes to split the bill, and have all guests chip in to cover the birthday girl. Stormy Good, 27, from Colorado Springs, CO, said that her preference is to have everyone split the bill evenly, or have one person pay for the dinner on their credit card, and then send a Venmo request of even amounts to each of the guests.
Remember: No one likes an ambush
Hero Images / Getty Images
Hax said that no matter what works best for you and your pals, communication is key.
"The better answer always is to prepare people so they aren't ambushed," she said. If the restaurant looks too expensive, suggest one that's more in your budget. If you think the check-splitting math was done wrong, then offer up your expertise — or calculator. If you know you have a strict price limit for the night, simply let your friends know ahead of time so there are no uncomfortable situations the night of the event. Establishing ground rules before arriving to the restaurant is the best way to ensure the birthday dinner will be just that — a fun celebration of someone you love.
Join us every Wednesday for a candid conversation about life and money. Subscribe to the #HerMoneyPodcast so you never miss an episode.
See Also:4 strategies for making it work as a single-income coupleA survey of 1,000 executives found that you won't regret taking these 7 career risksThere are 3 types of perfectionism — and not all of them are bad. Here's how to strive for a healthy balance in your life.SEE ALSO: Americans are spending money on their pets at a higher rate than they are on food or medicine
< Features, HerMoney, Contributor, contributor 2019, dinner, Birthday, Bill, >
- Well Plated by Erin 14:02November 13, 2019Instant Pot Potato SoupFor all of our bickering, in grade school my two younger sisters and I united around one, critical point of view: when Mom let us pick where to go for lunch, the correct answer was Panera. My go-to order: the baked potato soup (in a bread bowl, obviously). Years later, I still have a serious […]
The post Instant Pot Potato Soup is found on Well Plated by Erin.
< Any Season, Entrees/Main Dishes, Fall, Gluten Free, Healthy Dinners, Instant Pot, Meatless Mains, One Pan Meal, Soups/Stews, Vegetarian, Winter, Cauliflower, Cheddar, Cheese, Greek Yogurt, Parmesan, Potato >
- Jo Cooks 01:15November 13, 2019Instant Pot RisottoInstant Pot Risotto is the lightening quick version we never knew we needed. We’re still getting all that flavor, that perfection texture, everything we dream about in a starchy risotto but in half the time. This recipe takes a labor of love and turns it into a quick weeknight option! Instant Pot Risotto Risotto is a ... Get the Recipe The post Instant Pot Risotto appeared first on Jo Cooks.
< Dinner, Instant Pot/Pressure Cooker, Italian, Lunch, One Pot, Recipes, Vegetarian >
- Jo Cooks 23:40November 12, 2019Chicken MadeiraThis Chicken Madeira featuring a rich mushroom and wine sauce is made with simple every day ingredients. In under an hour you can have restaurant quality flavor on the dinner table. It’s a guaranteed hit to serve guests or a family night in! Everyone who tries this gorgeous chicken Madeira will be convinced you’ve spent hours slaving ... Get the Recipe The post Chicken Madeira appeared first on Jo Cooks.
< Dinner, European, Healthy Eating, One Pot, Poultry, Recipes, chicken, madeira, mushrooms, wine >
- FoodieCrush 16:00November 12, 2019Juicy Roast Turkey BreastThe best way to cook roast turkey breast isn’t in the crockpot, but in the oven instead, and it only takes 30 minutes to cook! Thanksgiving isn’t the only time of the year to talk turkey. Sure, it’s a popular protein over the holidays, but it should totally be considered as a dinner contender anycontinue to the recipe... about Juicy Roast Turkey Breast
The post Juicy Roast Turkey Breast appeared first on foodiecrush.
< chicken and turkey, dinner, family friendly, friday faves, healthy, recipes, seasonal : fall, vegetables and fruits, butter, entree, garlic, lemon, lunch, recipe, roast turkey, thyme, turkey, turkey breast, white wine >
- Well Plated by Erin 14:40November 12, 2019Slow Cooker Chicken CacciatoreSome recipes are truly special. Not only are they delicious and comforting (a must!), but they also have a way of bringing people together in a meaningful way. This Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore is one of those recipes. It’s easy enough for a healthy weeknight dinner, special enough to serve for a dinner party, and […]
The post Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore is found on Well Plated by Erin.
< Any Season, Dairy Free, Entrees/Main Dishes, Gluten Free, Healthy Dinners, Recipe Videos, Slow Cooker, Balsamic Vinegar, Bell Pepper, Chicken, Garlic, Mushroom, Onion, Tomato >
- Jo Cooks 22:25November 11, 2019Honey Mustard ChickenHoney Mustard Chicken – a simple recipe for chicken baked to perfection with a honey, mustard and soy sauce glaze. You can serve this alongside some fluffy carbs, ideally something that will soak up all that drool worthy sauce. Let’s get this dish into your weekly rotation! Honey Mustard Chicken I’m sure everyone must have ... Get the Recipe The post Honey Mustard Chicken appeared first on Jo Cooks.
< American, Dinner, Healthy Eating, Lunch, One Pot, Poultry, Recipes, chicken, honey, mustard, soy sauce >
- Jo Cooks 22:01November 11, 2019Chicken Milanese BitesChicken Milanese Bites – breaded chicken pieces, seasoned with Italian seasoning and fried to a crisp perfection. Super crispy and juicy, served with lemon wedges. Chicken Milanese Bites Let me tell you chicken never got any crispier and tastier than this! I needed to celebrate today and one of my favorite foods is fried chicken. ... Get the Recipe The post Chicken Milanese Bites appeared first on Jo Cooks.
< Appetizers, Dinner, Italian, Lunch, Poultry, Recipes, breadcrumbs, chicken, flour, italian seasoning >
- FoodieCrush 16:00November 10, 2019How to Make the Best Mashed PotatoesKnowing how to make mashed potatoes is a basic recipe every home cook needs in their kitchen skill set, and this easy recipe shows how to make the best creamy, buttery, mashed potatoes every time. The Best Creamy Mashed Potatoes Recipe Does the internet really need another creamy mashed potatoes recipe? To some, the answercontinue to the recipe... about How to Make the Best Mashed Potatoes
The post How to Make the Best Mashed Potatoes appeared first on foodiecrush.
< dinner, family friendly, healthy, recipes, salads and sides, seasonal : fall, seasonal : spring, seasonal : winter, vegetables and fruits, butter, half and half, mashed potatoes, potatoes, side dish >
- Jo Cooks 01:30November 9, 2019Easy Chicken PaprikashEasy Chicken Paprikash – a healthier alternative using chicken breast. Tender pieces of chicken breasts in a rich sweet paprika sauce with bell peppers and served over noodles. Perfect easy and quick weeknight dinner. Easy Chicken Paprikash So have you heard of chicken paprikash before? It’s of Hungarian origin and it’s a very very popular ... Get the Recipe The post Easy Chicken Paprikash appeared first on Jo Cooks.
< Dinner, European, Healthy Eating, One Pot, Pasta, Poultry, Recipes, chicken, noodles, onions, paprikash, peppers, sour cream >
- Jo Cooks 03:45November 8, 2019Moroccan Roast Chicken and PotatoesThis Moroccan Roast Chicken and Potatoes is slowly cooked in a tagine and filled with intense Moroccan flavor. 5 minutes of prep time is all you need for this delicious dinner with a twist! Moroccan Roast Chicken and Potatoes If you’ve never cooked in a tagine, you’re in for a treat! Cooking in a tagine ... Get the Recipe The post Moroccan Roast Chicken and Potatoes appeared first on Jo Cooks.
< Dinner, Middle Eastern, One Pot, Poultry, Recipes, chicken, garlic, moroccan, potatoes, roast chicken, sumac, tomatoes >
- FoodieCrush 16:00November 7, 2019Beef Stew with Butternut Squash (Instant Pot, Stove Top or Slow Cooker)Tender chuck roast pairs with classic stew veggies and butternut squash in this easy beef stew made even easier in the Instant Pot, slow cooker, or on the stove top. Slow Cooker or Instant Pot Beef Stew Recipe I made this classic Beef Stew with a slew of nutritious veggies in my Instant Pot oncontinue to the recipe... about Beef Stew with Butternut Squash (Instant Pot, Stove Top or Slow Cooker)
The post Beef Stew with Butternut Squash (Instant Pot, Stove Top or Slow Cooker) appeared first on foodiecrush.
< dinner, family friendly, healthy, meat and seafood, recipes, seasonal : fall, seasonal : winter, soups and stews, vegetables and fruits, beef, butternut squash, carrots, celery, chuck roast, instant pot, potatoes, pressure cooker, slow cooker, stew >
- Jo Cooks 21:51November 5, 2019Cilantro Lime SalmonThis Cilantro Lime Salmon is a super fresh, lean, low calorie dinner perfect for any night of the week. We’re talking bright lime, super fresh cilantro, a sweet buttery honey sauce, with a flavorful rub. All served atop some super juicy, mild salmon, this dish will have you in a tropical state of mind soon ... Get the Recipe The post Cilantro Lime Salmon appeared first on Jo Cooks.
< 30 Minutes or Less, American, Dinner, Lunch, One Pot, Recipes, Seafood, cilantro, lime, salmon >
- FoodieCrush 16:00November 5, 201930 Best Comforting Soup RecipesThis list of 30 of the web’s best soup recipes to cook during fall and winter shows why there’s nothing more comforting than a bowl of hot soup on a cold day. Soup season is here, and like so many of you, I am raising my spoon with glee at the idea of getting intocontinue to the recipe... about 30 Best Comforting Soup Recipes
The post 30 Best Comforting Soup Recipes appeared first on foodiecrush.
< dinner, family friendly, healthy, recipes, seasonal : fall, seasonal : winter, soups and stews, soups >
- Well Plated by Erin 14:40November 5, 2019Spaghetti Squash LasagnaThe first signs of winter have made an appearance, and this Spaghetti Squash Lasagna is the only sort of recipe it feels appropriate to be eating. It has all the characteristic lasagna comforts that we need when the thermometer dips—the stretchy cheese, the chunky, hearty red sauce, the load-up-your-fork and think-warm-thoughts appeal—but is lightened up […]
The post Spaghetti Squash Lasagna is found on Well Plated by Erin.
< Almost Vegetarian, Any Season, Entrees/Main Dishes, Fall, Gluten Free, Healthy Dinners, Recipe Videos, Winter, Chicken, Fontina, Mozzarella, Parmesan, Parsley, Spaghetti Squash, Spinach, Squash, Tomato Sauce, Turkey >
- FoodieCrush 16:00November 4, 2019Gnocchi With Pomodoro SauceThis simple tomato sauce gets tons of flavor from herbs steeped in olive oil that lusciously coats potato pillows of gnocchi, topped with fresh balls of mozzarella. It’s a lunch I remember with fondness, and regret. Fondness because it lit my fire for choosing gnocchi as my favorite thing to order on each and every Italiancontinue to the recipe... about Gnocchi With Pomodoro Sauce
The post Gnocchi With Pomodoro Sauce appeared first on foodiecrush.
< cheese, dinner, family friendly, healthy, noodles, rice and grains, recipes, seasonal : fall, seasonal : spring, seasonal : summer, seasonal : winter, basil, garlic, gnocchi, italian, mozzarella, one pan, parmesan cheese, pomodoro, tomatoes >
- Jo Cooks 22:25November 3, 2019Maple Soy Grilled Salmon SteaksThese Maple Soy Grilled Salmon Steaks involve only a handful of ingredients and require a minimal amount of your time! Full of flavor and cooks quickly – need I say more? Maple Soy Grilled Salmon Steaks Salmon is such a no-brainer for me! It is a simple fish to cook and while you can get ... Get the Recipe The post Maple Soy Grilled Salmon Steaks appeared first on Jo Cooks.
< 30 Minutes or Less, American, Dinner, Healthy Eating, Recipes, Seafood, garlic, ginger, maple syrup, salmon, soy sauce >
- Jo Cooks 03:00November 3, 2019Meatballs with Mushroom SauceMeatballs with Mushroom Sauce – pork meatballs in a delicious creamy mushroom sauce served over mashed potatoes. Comforting and incredibly delicious! Meatballs with Mushroom Sauce The meatball recipe I used here is my go to recipe; pork, eggs, breadcrumbs, a chopped onion, a bit of buttermilk, a bit of hot sauce to kick it up ... Get the Recipe The post Meatballs with Mushroom Sauce appeared first on Jo Cooks.
< American, Dinner, One Pot, Pork, Recipes, meatballs, meatballs recipe, meatballs with mushroom sauce, meatballs with mushroom sauce recipe, mushrooms, Sauce, white mushroom sauce recipe, white wine >
- FoodieCrush 15:00October 31, 2019The Best Homemade Mac and CheeseThe combination of creamy gouda and havarti cheese make a silky, cheesy homemade mac and cheese sauce that tastes SO MUCH BETTER than the boxed kind. Easy Homemade Mac and Cheese There are several basic, classic, everyone-loves-them-because-even-when-we-shouldn’t-we-still-crave-them recipes I am driven to master. The best steak. Check. The juiciest roasted chicken. Got it. The best potatocontinue to the recipe... about The Best Homemade Mac and Cheese
The post The Best Homemade Mac and Cheese appeared first on foodiecrush.
< cheese, dinner, family friendly, noodles, rice and grains, recipes, seasonal : fall, seasonal : winter, splurges, gouda, havarti, mac and cheese, macaroni, macaroni and cheese, noodles >
- Well Plated by Erin 14:00October 31, 2019Crockpot Beef StewCalling on all the warm fuzzies, cuddly blankets, and flannel! It’s time for a hug in dinner form: Crockpot Beef Stew. Every bite of this old fashioned beef stew slow cooker recipe soothes me from the inside out. Tender beef and vegetables nestled into rich, soulful gravy, this slow cooker beef stew will reward your […]
The post Crockpot Beef Stew is found on Well Plated by Erin.
< Any Season, Entrees/Main Dishes, Fall, Gluten Free, Healthy Dinners, Recipe Videos, Slow Cooker, St. Patrick's Day, Winter, Beef, Beef Broth, Carrot, Celery, Garlic, Onion, Parsley, Parsnip, Peas, Potato, Thyme, Tomato Paste, Wine, Worcestershire Sauce >
- Jo Cooks 04:02October 30, 2019Five Cheese Ziti Al FornoThis Five Cheese Ziti Al Forno is the epitome of comfort food. Creamy, velvety, this ziti is loaded with Mozzarella, Parmesan, Romano, Provolone, Ricotta, topped with a crispy panko topping and finally baked to perfection. Trust me, this pasta is a dish you just can’t miss! Five Cheese Ziti Al Forno I’m sure you’re all ... Get the Recipe The post Five Cheese Ziti Al Forno appeared first on Jo Cooks.
< American, Casseroles, Dinner, Italian, Pasta, Recipes, Vegetarian, mozzarella, parmesan, pasta, provolone, ricotta, romano, ziti >
- Well Plated by Erin 15:30October 29, 2019Scalloped PotatoesIn my family, we take our side dishes very seriously. Months in advance of any holiday, we begin discussing them at length, debating the merits of different options and, within those options, which exact recipe to use. If you believe as we do that the side dishes make the meal, then you absolutely, positively need […]
The post Scalloped Potatoes is found on Well Plated by Erin.
< Any Season, Casseroles/Bakes, Christmas, Easter, Fall, Gluten Free, Healthy Dinners, Recipe Videos, Recipes by Occasion, Recipes by Season, Recipes by Type, Side Dishes, Spring, Thanksgiving, Vegetarian, Winter, Cheese, Garlic, Goat Cheese, Milk/Soymilk/Almond Milk, Parmesan, Potato, Rosemary >
- Jo Cooks 02:05October 29, 2019Maple Mustard Roasted Turkey ThighsThese Maple Mustard Roasted Turkey Thighs are super juicy, delicious and a great alternative for roasting a whole turkey. Perfect not just for Thanksgiving dinner but for any weekend supper. Roasted Turkey Thighs Are you a dark meat or a white meat lover when it comes to your Thanksgiving turkey? I, personally, love my dark ... Get the Recipe The post Maple Mustard Roasted Turkey Thighs appeared first on Jo Cooks.
< American, Christmas, Dinner, Poultry, Recipes, Thanksgiving, maple syrup, mustard, rosemary, thyme, turkey thighs >
- FoodieCrush 15:00October 28, 2019Easy Taco Soup (Stove Top, Crock Pot or Instant Pot)This easy taco soup recipe can be made in 30 minutes on the stove top, Instant Pot, or slow cooked in the Crock Pot for a healthy Mexican-inspired, make-ahead, one-bowl meal. In the words of Rachel Ray, this easy taco soup eats more like a “stoup”, aka stew meets soup. It’s hearty, healthy, totally flavorful,continue to the recipe... about Easy Taco Soup (Stove Top, Crock Pot or Instant Pot)
The post Easy Taco Soup (Stove Top, Crock Pot or Instant Pot) appeared first on foodiecrush.
< dinner, family friendly, healthy, lunch, meat and seafood, recipes, seasonal : fall, seasonal : winter, soups and stews, ground beef, mexican, soup, taco >
- Well Plated by Erin 13:02October 28, 2019Cauliflower PastaWeeknight dinner just became far more interesting thanks to this a little bit naughty/a lotta bit nice Cauliflower Pasta. This recipe is sponsored by DeLallo. Fresh cauliflower florets sautéed in garlic until golden, then tossed with peas, lemon zest, and a flourish of Parmesan cheese, it looks innocent enough at the outset. It’s a healthy, […]
The post Cauliflower Pasta is found on Well Plated by Erin.
< Almost Vegetarian, Any Season, Fall, Healthy Dinners, One Pan Meal, Pastas, Valentine's Day, Winter, Bacon, Breadcrumbs, Cauliflower, Cheese, Garlic, Onion, Parmesan, Pasta, Peas >
- Jo Cooks 22:35October 27, 2019Stuffed Grape LeavesThis recipe for Stuffed Grape Leaves is another one of my favorite popular Romanian recipes that I want to share with you. These grape leaves are stuffed with ground meat and rice, topped with a tomato sauce and baked to perfection. Stuffed Grape Leaves Recipe These little babies are delicious! Not only are they super ... Get the Recipe The post Stuffed Grape Leaves appeared first on Jo Cooks.
< Beef, Christmas, Dinner, Easter, Pork, Recipes, Romanian, grape leaves. dill, ground pork, sarmale in foi de vita, sarmalute in foi de vita, stuffed grape leaves, stuffed grape leaves recipe >
- Well Plated by Erin 13:28October 27, 2019Healthy Crock Pot Chicken RecipesDo you ever start your day, look down for what feels like only an hour to two, then POOF! The day has flown by and, for some reason or another, you are still expected to arrive home and cook dinner?! The reverse happens too: the day is long and exhausting, and the idea of preparing […]
The post Healthy Crock Pot Chicken Recipes is found on Well Plated by Erin.
< Any Season, Entrees/Main Dishes, Healthy Dinners, Recipe, Slow Cooker >
- Well Plated by Erin 13:30October 24, 2019Slow Cooker Honey Garlic ChickenSave the white styrofoam container for a more desperate time—today we’re making easy Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken. Its sweet, sticky sauce has all the allure of your favorite takeout but is made of healthy, natural ingredients. The recipe is only eight ingredients (nine if you are a stickler and count the rice), and if […]
The post Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken is found on Well Plated by Erin.
< Any Season, Dairy Free, Entrees/Main Dishes, Gluten Free, Healthy Dinners, One Pan Meal, Slow Cooker, Chicken, Cornstarch, Garlic, Honey, Rice Vinegar, Soy Sauce, Tomato Paste >
- Business Insider 22:51October 22, 2019The best dinnerware sets you can buyHigh-quality dinnerware sets are resistant to scratching and chipping, can go in the dishwasher and microwave, and are appealing to the eye.
The Gibson Home Casa Stella Dinnerware Set is our top pick because it's cost-effective, durable, and there are several attractive styles and designs to choose from. The right dinnerware set has a profound impact on how you enjoy a meal. If the plates are mixed and matched across place settings, the food may seem similarly disjointed. However, a sophisticated, uniform table setting suggests an attention to detail that diners will also recognize in the dishes you serve. Consequently, a top-quality dinnerware set is a must for any home chef who takes pride in entertaining guests or preparing delicious meals for their family.
The main considerations when shopping for dinnerware are durability and aesthetic appeal. Bone china, porcelain, and china are the most popular materials. Named after the country where porcelain making originated, china is an all-encompassing term for vitreous ceramic dinnerware. China is brittle, glassy, and does not absorb water well. Porcelain is a subset of china made from quartz, feldspar, and clay and heated in a kiln. Bone china gets its name from the calcified bone included in its composition. This makes it lightweight and surprisingly strong. It's also usually more expensive.
As far as appearances go, beautiful designs may seem like an attractive alternative. But, you should remember that you will likely use your dinnerware for decades to come. Designs that seem hip today may appear dated in 10 years. Therefore, consider all-white dinnerware or styles that have been popular for generations.
While researching the best dinnerware, we poured through hundreds of expert and buyer reviews and ratings of countless sets. Our guide features sets that have a history of durability, are excellent for everyday use, and have a timeless look.
Here are the best dinnerware sets you can buy: Best dinnerware set overall: Gibson Home Casa Stella Dinnerware Set
Best all-white dinnerware set: Nevaeh White by Fitz and Floyd Rim Dinnerware
Best vitrified ceramic dinnerware set: Fiesta Dinnerware Place Setting
Best heavy-duty dinnerware set: Brasserie All-White Dinnerware Place Settings
Best affordable dinnerware set: AmazonBasics Dinnerware Set Updated on 10/22/2019 by Connie Chen: Updated prices and links.The best dinnerware set overall
If you are looking for a cost-effective and durable dinnerware set with colorful designs, the Gibson Home Casa Stella Dinnerware Set is your best bet.
What makes the Gibson Home Casa Stella Dinnerware Set special is that it's made of durable stoneware and comes in a variety of colors and designs. The stoneware is dishwasher and microwave safe, though the plate can get quite hot when microwaved so handle with care. The set comes with four 4-piece place settings. Each setting includes a dinner plate, dessert plate, mug, and bowl. You can choose from 10 different styles, including Red, Casa Estebana, Lewisville Teal, and Madame Floral. Red is the most affordable and popular style, and each piece actually features several different colors in addition to red. The shapes of the pieces vary drastically between styles. For example, the Madame Floral plates and bowls are square shaped, which can add a contemporary look to your dining room.
Best Products, God of Smile, and No Place Called Home all recommend the Gibson Home Casa Stella Dinnerware Set. The reviewer at Best Products found the colors to be particularly vibrant and mentioned that this casual set worked best for quick weeknight family meals.
About 83% of the Amazon buyers who reviewed the Gibson Home Casa Stella Dinnerware Set gave it four or five stars. One of the most common comments from buyers is that the plates are heavy duty and can stand up to the clumsiest of families without chipping. Others note that all of the pieces seem to have a functional size: not too small, not too big. People also found the colors to be pretty and vibrant. However, there were a couple of complaints about the pieces having slightly different coloration within the same set. Pros: Durable, affordable, colorful designs
Cons: Reports of inconsistent coloration
The best all-white dinnerware set
Fitz & Floyd
The Nevaeh White by Fitz and Floyd Rim Dinnerware Collection is ideal for buyers looking for a bone china set that is elegant for formal use but not too fancy for daily use.
The Nevaeh White by Fitz and Floyd Rim Dinnerware Collection is the only set in our guide made of high-quality bone china. Why does this matter? The 50% bone ash makeup of this set makes it more pliable, lighter, and thinner. It's also less likely to chip than standard porcelain. The bright white hue of the pieces evokes cleanliness. The four-piece set comes with a 16-ounce coffee mug, 6-inch cereal/soup bowl, 8.25-inch salad plate, and a 10.25-inch dinner plate. All of the pieces are dishwasher, microwave, and oven safe up to 250 degrees Fahrenheit. You can also purchase all of the pieces individually in a variety of styles. If you want to round out your table setting with matching serving pieces, the Nevaeh White collection offers platters, serving bowls, salt and pepper shakers, and more.
The Fitz and Floyd Nevaeh Dinnerware Collection is the top pick in The Wirecutter's look at the best dinnerware sets. The reviewer appreciated that this versatile set worked for everyday use as well as formal dinner parties. In his scratch tests, the reviewer was not able to scratch the pieces with knives and forks. He also noted that the cereal bowls were the right depth and width, and the teacups didn't wobble in the saucers. However, he did note that the plates exhibited some minor pitting on the surface of the glaze.
More than 250 buyers have left five-star reviews of the Nevaeh White Rim Dinnerware Collection on the Bed Bath & Beyond website. Karen801 purchased this set to replace stoneware dishes that tended to chip easily. She found this dinnerware to be much lighter, more durable, and it took up less space in her cupboard. Others echo these sentiments. One buyer commented on how easy it is to clean the pieces. The most helpful critical complaint was from someone who had their coffee mug crack along the bottom and leak coffee. This does not appear to be a common problem.
Pros: Durable, scratch-resistant, lightweight
Cons: Experienced minor pitting in some tests
The best vitrified ceramic dinnerware set
If you are looking for durable, visually-appealing dinnerware and have a little extra money to spend, consider purchasing the Fiesta Dinnerware Place Setting.
The Fiesta Dinnerware Place Setting, more commonly known as "Fiestaware," has an almost cult following. I know this because I grew up in the cult. I remember when my mother first brought the colorful dish sets into our home. I didn't know what the big deal was. But, she was happy, and I had something to eat on. Decades later as I visit my mom's house, the dinnerware is still going strong with nary a chip. Fiesta is so confident in the chip resistance of its vitrified ceramic pieces that it offers a five-year chip resistance warranty. Vitrified ceramic has very low porosity, which makes for a stronger material.
Fiestaware is best known for its Art Deco styling and concentric circles in a range of colors. Though there may only be a couple dozen colors available at a time, Fiesta has produced countless colors since the dinnerware was first introduced in 1936. Some of the most popular colors currently are Ivory, Tangerine, Daffodil, and Turquoise. Fiesta even offers an online app called Colorama for seeing if the colors you are interested in go well together.
House Tipster has been obsessed with Fiestaware for decades. The reviewer appreciates the vivid, fade-resistant colors. She displays them on open cabinets and exposed shelves. She found that the different colors tended to mix-and-match quite well, but if you find a particular color that you especially like, she recommends buying up all the pieces you want because Fiesta is known to discontinue certain colors.
The Spruce Eats put Fiestaware as their top overall dinnerware set. The reviewer noted that the pieces are incredibly crack and chip resistant. The Wirecutter was much more critical of the dinnerware. The reviewer did not like how flat the bowl bottoms are and found the pieces to be too casual and heavy for formal use.
Approximately 78% of the buyers who rated the Fiestaware on Amazon gave it five stars. Kim Davies, the most helpful reviewer, gave the set four stars because the ivory dinnerware she ordered ended up looking more like a pale yellow. Though, other than that, she was happy. Many of the other buyers appreciated that all of the pieces are made in the United States and are lead- and cadmium-free. Lead and cadmium have been shown to have negative health consequences.
Pros: Lead- and cadmium-free, chip-resistant, available in countless colors
Cons: Expensive, heavy
See the rest of the story at Business InsiderSee Also:The best stovetop espresso makers and moka potsThe best coffee grindersThe best cast-iron skillets and pans
< Features, Insider Picks Guides, dinner, Kitchen, Home, Dining, Insider Picks 2019, Guide Update, Kitchen Guides, Buying Guide, Best Guides, >
- Well Plated by Erin 13:30October 22, 2019Crockpot Butternut Squash SoupThis Crockpot Butternut Squash Soup delivers the traditional cozy, soothing warmth that you hope for when you find yourself craving butternut squash soup, along with a few fresh additions that keep it exciting and just a little bit new. Eating a bowl feels like walking through your front door after a long trip or curling […]
The post Crockpot Butternut Squash Soup is found on Well Plated by Erin.
< Christmas, Dairy Free, Fall, Healthy Dinners, Recipe Videos, Slow Cooker, Soups/Stews, Thanksgiving, Vegan, Vegetarian, Winter, Apple, Butternut Squash, Coconut Milk, Onion, Sage, Stock (Vegetable/Chicken) >
- Jo Cooks 01:10October 22, 2019Spicy Honey Garlic Chicken ThighsSpicy Honey Garlic Chicken Thighs – the combination of Sriracha sauce, honey and garlic is the perfect marinate for these boneless skinless chicken thighs. Served with rice and a side of broccolini for a healthy and delicious dinner. Spicy Honey Garlic Chicken Thighs In the game of weeknight cooking, this recipe is about as simple as ... Get the Recipe The post Spicy Honey Garlic Chicken Thighs appeared first on Jo Cooks.
< American, Dinner, Healthy Eating, One Pot, Poultry, Recipes, broccolini, chicken thighs, garlic, honey, rice, sriracha sauce >
- FoodieCrush 15:00October 21, 2019Broccoli Cheese and Potato SoupThis creamy and cheesy potato soup with broccoli comes together quickly for an easy and quick weeknight meal that everyone will love. Cheesy Potato Soup with Broccoli I was a bit of an anomaly as a kid. I didn’t care for peanut butter, opting for liverwurst instead. I loved oatmeal for breakfast and salad wascontinue to the recipe... about Broccoli Cheese and Potato Soup
The post Broccoli Cheese and Potato Soup appeared first on foodiecrush.
< cheese, dinner, family friendly, lunch, recipes, seasonal : fall, seasonal : winter, soups and stews, broccoli, cheddar, eat seasonal, potato, soup >
- Well Plated by Erin 13:03October 21, 2019Pressure Cooker Beef and NoodlesEach year, when the weather first begins to cool, I find myself becoming nostalgic. I stop bothering to tidy the fuzzy throws back into their baskets. I check out at Target with an undisclosed (and unplanned) amount of fall décor. In the kitchen, that tenderness carries over, and I crave recipes I remember from childhood. […]
The post Pressure Cooker Beef and Noodles is found on Well Plated by Erin.
< Any Season, Dairy Free, Entrees/Main Dishes, Fall, Healthy Dinners, Instant Pot, Soups/Stews, Winter, Beef, Beef Broth, Onion, Pasta, Peas, Thyme >
- Jo Cooks 00:51October 21, 2019Honey Garlic Pork LoinHoney Garlic Pork Loin is my gift to your kitchen. This spectacular pork is perfectly seasoned, wonderfully moist, and coated in a finger licking honey garlic glaze. If you’ve ever found your pork tasting a little lack lustre, this recipe is your new go to. Honey Garlic Pork Loin Gone are the days of dry, bland ... Get the Recipe The post Honey Garlic Pork Loin appeared first on Jo Cooks.
< American, Dinner, Pork, Recipes, brown sugar, butter, dry rub, garlic, honey, pineapple juice, pork loin, smoked paprika >
- Jo Cooks 04:40October 19, 2019Creamy Loaded Potato SoupThis Creamy Loaded Potato Soup is smooth, creamy, and delicious. It can only be described as serious comfort food in a bowl that’s quick and easy to make. A simple recipe perfect for a cold day. Potato Soup Creamy soups don’t have to be bad for you. Clocking in at 422 calories a serving, this ... Get the Recipe The post Creamy Loaded Potato Soup appeared first on Jo Cooks.
< American, Dinner, Lunch, Pork, Recipes, Soups, Winter Comfort, bacon, cheddar cheese, heavy cream, potatoes, soup >
- Well Plated by Erin 13:03October 18, 2019Salmon MeuniereIt appears that an old recipe can learn new tricks, because this Salmon Meuniere, a spin on the easy French classic sole meuniere, is nothing short of fabulous! Pick up a couple salmon fillets on your way home from work today, don your favorite frilly apron (yes men, you too), and prepare to wow yourself […]
The post Salmon Meuniere is found on Well Plated by Erin.
< 30 Minute Meals, Any Season, Entrees/Main Dishes, Healthy Dinners, Seafood, Valentine's Day, Capers, Lemon, Parsley, Salmon >
- Business Insider 09:01October 18, 2019Trump joked about former President Abraham Lincoln during his rally, the same night Mattis praised Lincoln's patriotism in s speechREUTERS/Mike Segar The presidency of Abraham Lincoln was mentioned in two separate instances on Thursday night in drastically different contexts.
President Donald Trump mocked the 16th US president during a rally in Dallas, while former Defense Secretary Jim Mattis, revered Lincoln's patriotism.
Trump said that he would never be as presidential as "Honest Abe Lincoln when he's wearing the hat," but he went on to say that in order to be presidential, "all you have to do is act like a stiff." He proceeded to act out a stiff, buttoning his blazer and speaking in a monotonous voice into the microphone.
Among the quips and jabs he made at Trump at the Al Smith dinner in New York, Mattis, who resigned as defense secretary for the Trump administration in December, also invoked Abraham Lincoln, quoting the former president's famous Lyceum address in Springfield, Illinois.
Visit Business Insider's hope page for more stories. Abraham Lincoln was mentioned during two separate speeches on Thursday night in drastically different contexts.
President Donald Trump joked about the 16th US president during a rally in Dallas. Trump's former Defense Secretary Jim Mattis, revered Lincoln's patriotism, quoting somber lines from Lincoln's Lyceum speech as Mattis addressed attendees of the 74th annual Al Smith dinner in New York.See the rest of the story at Business InsiderNOW WATCH: 7 secrets about Washington, DC landmarks you probably didn't knowSee Also:Trump compared Turkey attacking the Kurds to 'two kids in a lot': 'You have to let them fight, and then you pull them apart'Trump went on a Twitter rant with photos, accusing Nancy Pelosi of being 'unhinged' after she said he had a 'meltdown' in a meeting with DemocratsThe FBI's investigation of Rudy Giuliani includes a counterintelligence aspect that suggests he may be a national security threatSEE ALSO: Trump reportedly called Jim Mattis the 'world's most overrated general' in a chaotic meeting on Syria
< Donald Trump, James Mattis, Abraham Lincoln, Trump rallies, Al Smith dinner, >
- Jo Cooks 23:50October 17, 2019Pumpkin Goat Cheese PappardellePumpkin Goat Cheese Pappardelle with Crispy Pancetta and Crispy Fried Sage Leaves – it’s a mouthful, I know, but it’s also creamy, delicious, simply mind blowing! This recipe is so impressive, but incredibly easy to make and best of all ready in only 25 minutes. Pumpkin Goat Cheese Pappardelle It is pumpkin season right? Well ... Get the Recipe The post Pumpkin Goat Cheese Pappardelle appeared first on Jo Cooks.
< 30 Minutes or Less, American, Dinner, Italian, Pasta, Pork, Recipes, cream, goat cheese, pancetta, pappardelle, pumpkin, sage >
- Well Plated by Erin 13:30October 17, 2019Teriyaki Chicken Stir FryAs much as I don’t want to consider myself picky (can we call me particular instead?), the truth is, I demand a lot from my dinners, especially the ones I cook on weeknights. My ideal dinner needs to be healthy, reasonably easy to make, minimize dishes, AND taste indisputably delicious. Too much to ask? I […]
The post Teriyaki Chicken Stir Fry is found on Well Plated by Erin.
< 30 Minute Meals, Any Season, Entrees/Main Dishes, Gluten Free, Healthy Dinners, One Pan Meal, Stir Fries, Asparagus, Bell Pepper, Chicken, Garlic, Ginger, Soy Sauce >
- Well Plated by Erin 13:50October 16, 2019Crockpot Stuffed PeppersLooking for the best easy, crowd-pleasing go-to dinner recipe? This Crockpot Stuffed Peppers recipe is mine. It’s so easy to pull together that it almost feels like cheating (you don’t even need to brown the meat before stuffing the peppers), it’s healthy (lean protein, whole grains, and vegetables; the gang’s all here), and as my […]
The post Crockpot Stuffed Peppers is found on Well Plated by Erin.
< Any Season, Cinco de Mayo, Entrees/Main Dishes, Gluten Free, Healthy Dinners, Slow Cooker, Summer, Whole30, Avocado, Beans, Beef, Bell Pepper, Cheese, Chicken, Cilantro, Greek Yogurt, Pepper Jack, Quinoa, Sour Cream, Tomato, Turkey >
- Jo Cooks 00:17October 16, 2019Honey Sesame ChickenHoney Sesame Chicken is the crispy, crunchy, sweet, and salty meal you’ve been looking for – even if you didn’t realize it! Dare I say that this might become your new favorite way to make chicken? It’s certainly become one of mine – so let’s get into it! Honey Sesame Chicken You know when you create ... Get the Recipe The post Honey Sesame Chicken appeared first on Jo Cooks.
< American, Asian, Dinner, Lunch, Poultry, Recipes, brown sugar, chicken, chicken breast, honey, panko, sesame, sesame oil, soy sauce >