- New York Magazine 00:49June 23, 2021Will Young and Minority Voters Save Democrats in 2022?With or without some help from Donald Trump, Democrats need to keep the voters who surged to the polls in 2018 and 2020 engaged.
< politics, 2022 midterms, midterm fall-off, donald trump, joe biden, young and minority voters, obama coalition, barack obama, tea party movement, 2010 midterms, 2016 midterms, 2018 midterms, vision 2020, latino voters, white working-class voters, 1998 midterms, 2002 midterms, voter turnout >
- New York Magazine 01:24June 22, 2021Anti-Government Extremist Ammon Bundy Joins Wild Governor’s Race in IdahoBundy and Lieutenant Governor Janice McGeachin could compete for the militia vote in a 2022 gubernatorial race that may not have an incumbent.
< politics, 2022 midterms, idaho, ammon bundy, brad little, janice mcgiven, militias, bureau of land management, donald trump, covid-19 restrictions >
- Business Insider 21:39June 19, 2021Trump backs challenger to GOP Sen. Lisa Murkowski who voted to convict him in second impeachment trialIn a statement, Trump threw his support behind Kelly Tshibaka, the former state commissioner of administration, calling Murkowski "bad for Alaska."
< Politics, Lisa Murkowksi, Kelly Tshibaka, Alaska, Donald Trump, Republican Party, 2022 midterms >
- New York Magazine 00:21June 17, 2021Could Democrats Defy History and Keep Congress in 2022?There is recent precedent for the president’s party gaining House seats in unusual midterm elections, but it is still a long shot for Democrats.
< politics, 2022 midterms, 2002 midterms, 1998 midterms, september 11, clinton impeachment, donald trump, joe biden, redistricting >
- New York Magazine 20:29June 16, 2021Could Trump Become Speaker of the House?This bizarre scenario is technically possible, but fantasies about Trump returning to the White House via the Speakership are extremely far-fetched.
< politics, donald trump, speaker of the house, vision 2020, 2020 impeachment, 2021 impeachment, 2022 midterms, 2024 presidential election, republicans >
- Business Insider 14:55June 15, 2021A man who bragged about chugging wine at the Capitol riot is campaigning for office. He learned mid-interview he's running for the wrong seat.Jason Riddle was arrested after admitting joining the Capitol riot. Now he's entered politics, he appears confused as to which race he's running in.
< Politics, News UK, capitol riot, New Hampshire, 2022 midterms >
- New York Magazine 21:31June 14, 2021McConnell All But Admits He Would Never Confirm a Biden Supreme Court PickWith McConnell pledging obstruction, Democrats need to make the Supreme Court a major campaign issue for the midterms.
< politics, supreme court, 2022 midterms, mitch mcconnell, merrick garland, brett kavanaugh, robert bork, donald trump, joe biden, barack obama, partisanship >
- New York Magazine 22:00June 12, 2021Brian Kemp May Be Outfoxing Donald TrumpDespite Trump’s vows of vengeance against the Georgia governor, he cannot find a top-tier candidate to run against him.
< politics, 2022 midterms, donald trump, brian kemp, brad raffensperger, burt jones, doug collins, herschel walker, kelly loeffler, raphael warnock, stacey abrams, geoff duncan, jody hice >
- New York Magazine 15:48June 9, 2021McAuliffe Cruises to Virginia Gubernatorial NominationThere were no big primary upsets in the two states holding off-year elections, but Virginia Democrats are nervous anyway.
< politics, elections of 2021, virginia, new jersey, terry mcauliffe, glenn youngkin, justin fairfax, hala ayala, jennifer carroll foy, mark herring, jay jones, ralph northam, donald trump, joe biden, winsome sears, jason miyares, phil murphy, jack ciattarelli, hirsh singh, phil rizzo, blackface, 2022 midterms >
- New York Magazine 23:37June 7, 2021Georgia Republicans Forgo 2022 Prep to Bicker Over PastThe GOP State Convention was a chance to pull together before a pivotal midterm election, but Georgia Republicans are still divided over Trump’s lies.
< politics, 2022 midterms, election coup, georgia senate runoffs, donald trump, joe biden, brian kemp, brad raffensperger, marjorie taylor greene, geoff duncan, georgia republicans, chris cox, herschel walker, buddy carter, gary black, kelly loeffler, david ralston >
- Business Insider 16:58June 7, 2021Trump tells Fox News it's 'highly unlikely' he'll run for a House seat in 2022A right-wing talk radio host speculated that Trump could run in a safe district and become House Speaker if the GOP were to flip the majority in the 2022 midterms.
< Politics, Donald Trump, Fox news, 2022 midterms >
- Business Insider 19:16May 28, 2021Senate blocks legislation to create a bipartisan commission to investigate the January 6 insurrectionGOP Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky came out against the House bill last week, criticizing it for being "slanted and unbalanced.
< Politics, January 6 commission, Capitol Siege, Senate, Chuck Schumer, Mitch McConnell, 2022 midterms >
- New York Magazine 23:37May 26, 2021Trump Consulting Gingrich on Midterm ‘Contract’With one well-known snake-oil salesman helping a man allergic to actual thinking, we shouldn’t expect much in the way of a midterm message.
< politics, 2022 midterms, donald trump, newt gingrich, contract with america, 1994 midterms, 1998 midterms, bill clinton >
- New York Magazine 21:36May 25, 2021Is Presidential Popularity Now All About Partisanship?Biden’s job-approval ratings are even steadier than Trump’s, suggesting a president’s party may be more important than his actions. It’s a scary idea.
< politics, partisan polarization, joe biden, donald trump, presidential approval rating, swing voters, republicans, democrats, capitol riot, 2022 midterms, vision 2020, vision 2024, 2016 presidential election >
- Business Insider 23:04May 23, 2021Rep. Adam Kinzinger: GOP must 'take ownership for what happened' on Jan. 6 or it will impact 2022 midterm elections"If every other day there's a new conspiracy theory about what happened at the Capitol ... then I think it'll go into 2022," Kinzinger said.
< Politics, Adam Kinzinger, January 6 commission, Capitol Siege, Donald Trump, Kevin McCarthy, Republican Party, 2022 midterms >
- New York Magazine 00:40May 21, 2021The Future Could Actually Be Bright for RepublicansThe GOP comeback will likely begin with retaking the House in 2022, then probably the Senate, and maybe the presidency.
< politics, republicans, 2022 midterms, 2024 elections, u.s. house, u.s. senate, donald trump, joe biden, election coup, voter suppression, capitol riot, democrats, demographics, nonwhite voters, white working-class voters >
- New York Magazine 01:25May 19, 2021Georgia Republicans See Disastrous Election Cycle As Something to Brag AboutIn their deluded minds, they believe losing Georgia to Biden and the Senate to Democrats were victories stolen by their own secretary of state.
< politics, vision 2020, 2020 elections, georgia senate runoffs, georgia republican party, election coup, donald trump, brad raffensperger, brian kemp, stacey abrams, 2022 midterms, georgia election law, republicans >
- New York Magazine 23:09May 13, 2021Polling the Midterms Is Going to Be Risky BusinessIt’s hard to tell whether 2020 polling errors were about Trump, the pandemic, or something more basic and replicable.
< politics, polls, vision 2020, 2018 midterms, 2021 elections, 2022 midterms, donald trump, joe biden, 2020 elections >
- Business Insider 23:26May 11, 2021Former Republican congressman says Kevin McCarthy will do anything 'short of throwing his mother under the bus' to become House speakerBut Mitchell predicted that McCarthy won't have enough support in his caucus to win the speakership if he takes back the majority in 2022.
< Politics, News, Kevin McCarthy, GOP, Republican Party, Donald Trump, 2022 midterms >
- Business Insider 19:46May 7, 2021Pollster Frank Luntz says Trump's 'big lie' may cost Republicans the House in 2022"What Donald Trump is saying is actually telling people it's not worth it to vote," pollster and focus group consultant Frank Luntz said.
< Politics, Donald Trump, Frank Luntz, 2022 midterms >
- New York Magazine 21:59May 3, 2021Trump’s GOP Enemies Try 3 Strategies for SurvivalPaul Ryan, Mitt Romney, and Brian Kemp exhibit different ways Republican politicians are dealing with the Boss’s disdain.
< politics, maga, donald trump, mitt romney, paul ryan, brian kemp, brad raffensperger, vision 2020, 2022 midterms, vernon jones, utah republican convention, election coup, impeachment trial >
- New York Magazine 01:17April 30, 2021Kris Kobach Won’t Go AwayThe Republican Party’s gift that keeps on giving to Kansas Democrats is running for attorney general.
< politics, kansas, 2022 midterms, kris kobach, sam brownback, nativism, presidential commission on election integrity, laura kelly, jeff colyer, roger marshall, pat roberts, donald trump, sb 1070, voter fraud, u.s. supreme court >
- New York Magazine 14:00April 28, 2021Democrats Are Shooting for the Moon in 2021, and That’s OkayThe usual choice between getting things done and holding on to power is no choice at all for Democrats right now.
< politics, joe biden, democrats, budget reconciliation, joe manchin, 2022 midterms, vision 2020, wokeness, socialism, republicans, voting rights, covid-19, american rescue plan, congress, u.s. senate, senate parliamentarian, partisan polarization, bipartisanship, kevin mccarthy, donald trump, redistricting >
- New York Magazine 00:49April 23, 2021The Fateful Question of How Latinos Vote Going ForwardTrump and his party over-performed with Latino voters in 2020. It’s important for both parties to figure whether that was a fluke or a trend.
< politics, latinos, vision 2020, donald trump, joe biden, democrats, republicans, nativism, racism, immigration, covid-19, the economy, socialism, south florida, cultural issues, abortion, religious liberty, law and order, 2022 midterms, 2024 elections >
- New York Magazine 22:56April 22, 2021Georgia Republicans Wonder What to Do About Herschel WalkerHis indecision about a 2022 Senate race after Trump urged him to run is complicating life for other would-be senators.
< politics, 2022 midterms, u.s. senate, raphael warnock, donald trump, herschel walker, doug collins, buddy carter, larry munson, college football, kelly loeffler, brian kemp, georgia senate runoffs >
- New York Magazine 01:24April 22, 2021After the Voting Wars, Who’s Likely to Turn Out in 2022?The net impact of laws to suppress or expand voting rights is unclear, and will compete with many factors affecting the level and shape of turnout.
< politics, 2022 midterms, voter turnout, voting rights, voter suppression, donald trump, 2018 midterms, 2021 elections, 2014 midterms, joe biden, republicans, democrats >
- New York Magazine 21:45April 19, 2021Greitens Tries the Maximum MAGA Strategy in Comeback Bid for Senate SeatThe disgraced former governor will have Trumpy competition in the primary, which could make a Democratic upset in a key Senate race possible.
< politics, 2022 midterms, donald trump, todd akin, eric greitens, eric schmitt, kimberly guilfoyle, josh hawley, ann wagner, billy long, jason smith, 2012 election >
- New York Magazine 21:18April 16, 2021Can Suppressing Votes Save Brian Kemp?Kemp is using Georgia’s new election law to heal a breach with Trump-loving conservatives but so far has drawn only a gadfly primary opponent.
< politics, georgia election law, 2022 midterms, voter suppression, voting rights, brian kemp, brad raffensperger, vernon jones, donald trump, doug collins, vision 2020, election coup, covid-19, republicans, georgia senate runoffs >
- New York Magazine 01:18April 15, 2021Struggling California Republicans Gamble on Newsom RecallThese are grim times for the GOP in the Golden State. So they are calculating that a long-shot recall drive may be their best best for a win.
< politics, gavin newsom recall, california, republicans, democsrats, 2022 midterms, 2018 midterms, 2020 elections, donald trump, joe biden, bill clinton, ronald reagan >
- New York Magazine 23:23April 14, 2021Biden’s Steady Popularity Depends on Near-Universal Democratic SupportBiden seems to have figured out how to keep his party happy without mobilizing the opposition. But avoiding midterm losses will still be tricky.
< politics, joe biden, 2022 midterms, vision 2020, donald trump, partisan polarization, covid-19 stimulus, american rescue act, polls, president's approval rating >
- New York Magazine 20:24April 12, 2021Sex, Trump, and Insurrection: Alabama Republicans Are at It AgainWith Mo Brooks winning Trump’s endorsement and John Merrill imploding in a sex scandal, Alabama’s 2022 Senate primary is off to a fine start.
< politics, 2022 midterms, alabama republicans, mo brooks, john merrill, kay ivey, roy moore, luther strange, donald trump, richard shelby, jeff sessions, robert bentley, 2017 senate special election, terri sewell, doug jones, katie boyd britt, lynda blanchard, sex scandals, capitol riot, electoral vote count, tommy tuberville >
- New York Magazine 22:31April 9, 2021Trump and Rubio, Best of FrenemiesRubio seems as tormented as ever by the man who rolled over him five years ago.
< politics, marco rubio, donald trump, 2016 presidential election, vision 2020, capitol riot, electoral vote count, jeb bush, lindsey graham, rand paul, ted cruz, 2022 midterms, ivanka trump, republicans, immigration >
- New York Magazine 02:37April 8, 2021Why Republicans Think They Can Regain Power Without Repudiating TrumpismFrom the midterm precedents to the belief that Trump expanded the GOP’s reach, Republicans have a host of reasons to be complacent.
< politics, republican party, trumpism, donald trump, election coup, voter fraud, capitol riot, joe biden, 2022 midterms, 2024 elections, redistricting, voter suppression, white working-class voters, jim banks >
- New York Magazine 20:16April 6, 2021Democrats’ Control of the House Is Increasingly FragileResignations and a death have left Pelosi with a shrinking majority until special elections fill the vacancies.
< politics, nancy pelosi, democrats, u.s. house vacancies, 2021 special elections, 2022 midterms, jared golden, alcee hastings >
- New York Magazine 00:37April 2, 2021Georgia Republicans Working Hard to Sabotage a 2022 ComebackGeorgia’s GOP could be upbeat heading towards the midterms. But the voting law debacle and a Trump purge could snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.
< politics, georgia voting law, georgia republicans, donald trump, geoff duncan, brian kemp, brad raffensperger, burt jones, georgia senate runoffs, raphael warnock, stacey abrams, voting rights, 2022 midterms, redistricting, election coup, vision 2020, joe biden >
- New York Magazine 16:00March 31, 2021Democrats Have a Good Chance of Holding the Senate in 2022With the Judiciary on the line, the Senate landscape favors Democrats in the next midterms.
< politics, 2022 midterms, u.s. senate, joe biden, judicial confirmations, u.s. house, kamala harris, maggie hassan, chris sununu, senate retirements, 1970 midterms, 2018 midterms >
- New York Magazine 23:03March 30, 2021Georgia Trooper Claims Legislator’s Knock Raised Fears of January 6 RepeatWas Governor Brian Kemp really endangered by Park Cannon tapping on his door in hopes of watching him sign a controversial election bill?
< politics, voting rights, georgia election law, park cannon, brian kemp, stacey abrams, georgia state patrol, voter suppression, 2022 midterms, donald trump, capitol riot >
- New York Magazine 01:35March 30, 2021Raffensperger’s Support for Georgia’s Voter Suppression Law Won’t Save HimGeorgia’s secretary of state blasphemed against Trump, and that’s all that matters to his fellow Republicans.
< politics, vision 2020, election coup, donald trump, brad raffensperger, brian kemp, jody hice, david bell isle, doug collins, david perdue, vernon jones, voter suppression, voting by mail, voting rights, 2022 midterms >
- New York Magazine 23:54March 29, 2021Watch Democratic Retirements for Clues About House MidtermsHistory suggests it will be tough for Democrats to hang on to their narrow House majority in 2022. But open seats will be especially hard to defend.
< politics, 2022 midterms, joe biden, nancy pelosi, kevin mcarthy, redistriting, house democratic retirements >
- New York Magazine 22:19March 26, 2021What Can Democrats Do About Georgia’s Voting-Rights Restrictions?They are already going to court, and could pass preemptive legislation in Congress. But winning control of the state in 2022 is the best solution.
< politics, voting rights, georgia, brian kemp, stacey abrams, marc elias, new georgia project, 2022 midterms, voting rights act of 1965, john lewis voting rights advancement act, voting by mail, early in-person voting, for the people act >
- New York Magazine 02:20March 26, 2021Georgia Republicans Take Revenge on Voting RightsAfter major Democratic wins, the embattled GOP passes a harsh law to claw back power.
< politics, voting rights, georgia, republicans, voting by mail, sunday voting, in-person early voting, voter id, brian kemp, brad raffensperger, general election runoffs, 2022 midterms, stacey abrams, souls to the polls, voter purges, georgia senate runoffs >
- New York Magazine 05:31March 23, 2021Capitol Riot Rabble-Rouser Mo Brooks Running for SenateThe congressman was outflanked to his right in Alabama’s 2017 Senate race. That will not happen this time around.
< politics, 2022 midterms, mo brooks, jeff sessions, roy moore, luther strange, alabama, capitol riot, donald trump, rush limbaugh, sean hannity >
- New York Magazine 22:48March 19, 2021Trumpy Georgia Congressman May Help Punish RaffenspergerRepresentative Jody Hice may give up a safe seat to become Trump’s instrument of revenge against the Georgia official who certified Biden’s win.
< politics, jody hice, donald trump, marjorie taylor greene, brad raffensperger, voting rights, 2022 midterms, capitol riot, election coup, doug collins, brian kemp, vernon jones >
- New York Magazine 02:25March 18, 2021The House Brings Back the Equal Rights AmendmentThis time, the effort to revive the ERA will get a vote in the Senate, where Republicans would suffer the consequences for killing it.
< politics, equal rights amendment, virginia, ratification deadline, republicans, christian right, ronald reagan, donald trump, chuck schumer, 2022 midterms >
- New York Magazine 01:53March 17, 2021The Alaska Republican Party Is Trying to Push Out Lisa MurkowskiIn their censure vote, state GOP officials also requested that she not run on the Republican ticket in 2022.
< alaska, gop, republican party, 2022 midterms >
- New York Magazine 17:00March 13, 2021Will 2022 Governors’ Races Be Armageddon for Voting Rights?A first look at 2022 gubernatorial contests, in which voting rights may play a big role, and which in turn could affect voting rights going forward.
< politics, 2022 elections, 2021 elections, voting rights, 2022 midterms, gubernatorial races >
- New York Magazine 01:29March 9, 2021Newsom Recall Drive Nears the Finish LineCalifornia Republicans will likely force a 2021 recall election with some help from COVID-19. Actually removing a Democratic governor won’t be easy.
< politics, california, recall election, gavin newsom, covid-19, french laundry scandal, john cox, ric grenell, kevin faulconer, grey davis, eleni kounalakis, 2022 midterms, top two primary >
- New York Magazine 21:18March 6, 2021The COVID-19 Stimulus Bill Can Help Biden Transform PoliticsSome white working-class voters just want to see that government works for them, too. The relief bill could bring them back to the Democratic Party.
< politics, covid-19 stimulus, white working-class voters, reagan democrats, stan greenberg, joe biden, barack obama, globalization, donald trump, 2022 midterms >
- New York Magazine 18:00March 5, 2021Democrats Shouldn’t Count On a ‘Morning In America Midterm’Midterms are different from presidential elections, and 1984 isn’t 2022.
< politics, 2022 midterms, 1984 presidential election, joe biden, ronald reagan, walter mondale, morning in american, 1982 midterms, economic growth, covid-19, donald trump, 2024 presidential election >
- New York Magazine 15:15March 3, 2021David Shor on Why Trump Was Good for the GOP — and How Dems Can Win in 2022The data scientist shares his latest theories on why Democrats lost Hispanic support in 2020 and what the party must do to avoid disaster in 2022.
< just asking questions, david shor, q&a, 2022 midterms, vision 2020, 2020 hindsight, politics >