- Business Insider 16:02July 28, 2021I'm the mayor of Providence, Rhode Island. Our city is starting a guaranteed income program to fight back against poverty - and the rest of the US should take notice.Guaranteed income programs have had promising results across the country. That's why we're starting our own program in Providence, Rhode Island.
< Opinion, Economy, Politics, Markets, Opinion, Providence Rhode Island, Guaranteed Income, Economy, Poverty, BI Commentary, Commentary Freelancer, Policy >
- Business Insider 15:02July 25, 2021Investing apps like Robinhood aren't gambling tools that push new investors to make risky decisions. They're actually a great way to teach young people how to invest.The best way to learn is by doing. Making investing more accessible helps level the playing field and teaches new investors useful financial skills.
< Opinion, Finance, Investing, Markets, Tech Insider, Opinion, Investing, SEC, Robinhood, Investing App, Education, Financial Literacy, Regulation, Markets, BI Commentary, Commentary Freelancer >
- Business Insider 16:03July 24, 2021It's been 12 years since Congress last raised the minimum wage. As a McDonald's worker who makes just $10 an hour, I'm getting sick of Congress delaying another much-needed raise.On July 20, I joined my coworkers at McDonald's in a strike. We're sick and tired of making starvation wages.
< Opinion, Politics, Economy, Retail, Opinion, BI Commentary, Fight for 15, Minimum Wage, Congress, Workers, McDonald's, Commentary Freelancer >
- Business Insider 15:26July 24, 2021Heatwaves are killing workers on the job. The government needs to set new rules for employers before more Americans needlessly die.Short of real, substantive action on climate change, the federal government needs to respond to the rise in heatwaves.
< Opinion, Politics, Science, Healthcare, Economy, Opinion, BI Commentary, Heatwaves, COVID-19, Farmers, Workers, permalancer, Climate Change >
- Business Insider 15:04July 24, 2021The US economy's boom is far from over - even with the Delta surgeThe Federal Reserve, the strength of the vaccines, and consumers flush with cash should keep the US economy chugging along.
< Opinion, Economy, Markets, Economy, Federal Reserve, delta variant, COVID, Pandemic, GDP, Consumer spending, Opinion, BI Commentary >
- Business Insider 16:04July 19, 2021The tech industry has a hidden unpaid labor problemAs important services become increasingly digitized, the tech industry needs to reckon with its accessibility issue for older populations.
< Opinion, Tech Insider, Opinion, Tech, accessibility, Old Age, Labor, BI Commentary, Commentary Freelancer >
- Business Insider 16:32July 18, 2021Congress is sitting on an easy solution to speed job growth without causing inflationTo reduce long-term unemployment, Congress should suspend payroll taxes for employers that expand their payroll by hiring the long-term unemployed.
< Opinion, Politics, Economy, Opinion, Politics, Congress, Payroll Tax, Unemployment, Economy, Commentary Freelancer, BI Commentary >
- Business Insider 15:07July 18, 2021Airbnb is trying to sell itself as a savior for struggling cities and small towns. But it's actually a devil in disguise.Airbnb is positioning itself as a boon for struggling US tourist towns. But in the face of housing shortages, more Airbnbs are not the answer.
< Opinion, Travel, Tech Insider, Economy, Opinion, AirBnB, Travel, Tech, Vermont, BI Commentary, permalancer, Housing Crisis, housing boom, Real Estate, BI Graphics, Samantha Lee >
- Business Insider 16:03July 17, 2021The revelation of Canada's cultural genocide against native people should shake the world into a historical reckoning that extends beyond empty apologiesThe graves of indigenous children were found at Canadian residential school sites. The rest of the world should take note and reckon with their pasts.
< Opinion, Politics, Opinion, BI Commentary, Commentary Freelancer, Canada, Indigenous People, Genocide >
- Business Insider 15:28July 17, 2021The anti-vax movement is killing people, and the right-wing media is egging it onEvery single person who died of COVID in Maryland in June was unvaccinated. This is the anti-vax movement's fault, and Republicans are at the helm.
< Opinion, Politics, Science, Media, Opinion, BI Commentary, permalancer, Fox news, Anti-Vaxx, Media, Republicans, COVID-19 >
- Business Insider 15:04July 17, 2021Hearing aids cost an average of $5000. Biden's plan to make them affordable doesn't go far enough.Unless Biden mandates that insurance companies cover the cost of hearing aids, those who are hearing-deficient will continue to suffer.
< Opinion, Politics, Healthcare, Opinion, BI Commentary, Commentary Freelancer, Biden, hearing aid, OTC >
- Business Insider 18:13July 15, 2021I know firsthand that having kids while young is penalized at work. If we're worried about declining birth rates, workplaces need to start supporting young motherhood.We can't talk about declining birth rates without addressing how companies discourage women from having children during their most fertile years.
< Opinion, Life, Careers, Opinion, Workplace Culture, Motherhood, Parenting, Birth Rate, Strategy, Commentary Freelancer, BI Commentary >
- Business Insider 18:15July 14, 2021As a teacher, the Republican Florida law requiring students and staff to expose their political beliefs is a gross government overreachThe Republican party is always going on about government overreach. They passed a law in Florida mandating students note their political beliefs.
< Opinion, Politics, Education, Opinion, BI Commentary, Commentary Freelancer, Ron DeSantis, Florida, Education, Republicans >
- Business Insider 16:02July 13, 2021I'm a millionaire businessman who was arrested for protesting with restaurant workers. We demand better wages for the employees running our economy.The House did its job. Now the Senate needs to pass the Raise the Wage Act and finally give tipped workers the support they need.
< Opinion, Politics, Economy, Opinion, BI Commentary, Workers Rights, Wages, Restaurants, Commentary Freelancer, Economy, Politics, Minimum Wage, Labor Market, labor shortage >
- Business Insider 16:02July 12, 2021White farmers blocked a much-needed federal relief program for Black farmers. The saga proved Black farmers won't overcome racism unless they take their economic future into their own hands.Banks have used discriminatory policies against Black farmers forever. Those farmers should take matters into their own hands.
< Opinion, Politics, Economy, Opinion, BI Commentary, Commentary Freelancer, USDA, Farming, Racism, Debt relief >
- Business Insider 16:17July 11, 2021The fight to protect voting rights at the federal level is dead. But there's still a glimmer of hope.It's clear that Congress and the Supreme Court won't stem the tide of anti-voting rights laws. The fight is going to have to come at the state level.
< Opinion, Voting Rights, Voting Rights Act, Supreme Court, For the People Act, Georgia, Stacey Abrams, Congress, BI Commentary, permalancer, Opinion >
- Business Insider 16:04July 11, 2021We are lawmakers from 5 states that finally put an end to child marriage. It's past time for the other 45 US states to follow our lead.Legislators from the 5 states that have banned child marriage call on the other 45 states to end this human rights abuse in the US.
< Opinion, Politics, Life, Opinion, Politics, Human Rights, child marriage, BI Commentary, Commentary Freelancer >
- Business Insider 15:27July 11, 2021China's 'wolf warrior diplomacy' has come to Wall StreetChina's recent measures to curb its companies from going public in the US are a sign that its aggressive nationalism has come to financial markets.
< Opinion, Finance, Markets, Economy, Politics, Military & Defense, Tech Insider, BI Commentary, China, IPO, Stock Market, Xi Jinping, Didi, New York Stock Exchange, Hong Kong, Opinion, columnist, Chinese Communist Party, US-China rivalry >
- Business Insider 16:03July 10, 2021Biden's big jobs plan will actually hurt low-income and minority Americans' chances of owning a homeThe Biden administration should stop building barriers to homeownership and instead support policies that will help first-time homebuyers.
< Opinion, Real Estate, Politics, Economy, Opinion, American Jobs Plan, Real Estate, Mortgage, Insurance, Corporate Tax, BI Commentary, Commentary Freelancer >
- Business Insider 18:42July 7, 2021The sports world is punishing Black women for being themselvesBlack women athletes have to face their opponents while also being penalized for being themselves. It isn't fair.
< Opinion, Politics, Sports, Opinion, BI Commentary, Olympics, Sports, Marijuana, Black Women, Athletes, Sha’Carri Richardson, columnist, Simone Biles >
- Business Insider 16:04July 5, 2021If you want to see just how badly workers in the US get screwed over, just look at how baseball players are treatedBaseball management, especially in the minor leagues, is symptomatic of how workers are treated across the country.
< Opinion, Politics, Sports, Economy, Opinion, BI Commentary, Minor League Baseball, MLB, Workers Rights, Labor, permalancer, BI Graphics, Samantha Lee >
- Business Insider 15:58July 3, 2021THE 600-WORD INTERVIEW: Anti-Trump House Republican Adam Kinzinger on his uncertain political future and his appetite for a '$1 kajillion' billRep. Adam Kinzinger voted to impeach former President Donald Trump and has spoken about Republican members of Congress who secretly hate Trump.
< Politics, Economy, Adam Kinzinger, National Debt, Federal Deficit, Donald Trump, BI Commentary, Republican Party >
- Business Insider 16:04June 27, 2021America's housing market is racist. Congress could easily help fix it if they wanted to.Structural inequality is keeping Black and Latino Americans poorer than white Americans. Congress can help fix that.
< Opinion, Politics, Economy, Real Estate, Markets, Opinion, BI Commentary, Housing, Mortgage Loans, Credit, Racism, Congress, Commentary Freelancer, Economy >
- Business Insider 15:28June 27, 202114 House GOP members just revealed themselves as modern segregationistsThe 14 House GOP members who voted against making Juneteenth a holiday should be treated as pariahs.
< Opinion, Politics, GOP, House Repblicans, juneteenth, Congress, BI Commentary, Opinion >
- Business Insider 15:03June 27, 2021The FDA is broken. It's controversial approval of an ineffective new Alzheimer's drug proves the agency puts profit over public health.Because of how drug research is funded and the profit incentives of the FDA, most newly-approved drugs are ineffective and often harmful.
< Opinion, Healthcare, Politics, Science, Opinion, BI Commentary, FDA, Alzheimer's, alzheimer's drugs, Mental Health, SSRI, Public Health, permalancer >
- Business Insider 16:03June 26, 2021I was an American diplomat for 12 years, traveling and immersing myself in cultures around the world. Here's what you can learn from diplomats when you're travelingIf you're traveling the world, you might want to take a few pointers from professional travelers: diplomats.
< Opinion, Politics, Travel, Opinion, BI Commentary, Commentary Freelancer, Diplomats, Traveling, Tourism >
- Business Insider 22:53June 25, 2021Here are the 2 biggest things I'm watching for in Biden's bipartisan infrastructure dealThe package would spend a lot, but it's not clear it addresses known problems about waste in capital projects. At least the pay-fors aren't stupid.
< Opinion, Economy, Markets, Politics, Economy, Policy, Joe Biden, Infrastructure, Taxes, Federal Deficit, BI Commentary, analysis, columnist >
- Business Insider 16:43June 24, 2021Republicans seem determined to learn absolutely nothing from our bizarre post-pandemic economyThis weird features of the pandemic recovery could teach us a lot about growth, inflation, and inequality - but the GOP doesn't want to hear it.
< Opinion, Economy, Politics, Markets, Economy, Federal Reserve, Wages, Inflation, GOP, Labor Market, Steve Scalise, Congress, BI Commentary, columnist, Opinion >
- Business Insider 19:08June 23, 2021Coming out is good, and more gay athletes should do itCarl Nassib's coming out stands to make life a lot better for gay college and professional athletes. He can't be the only one.
< Opinion, Sports, Life, News, Carl Nassib, NFL, LGTBQ, Pride, Coming Out, BI Commentary, Opinion, columnist >
- Business Insider 16:31June 23, 2021I was a Division I college football player. The Supreme Court's NCAA ruling isn't just a huge moment for college athletes - it's a major warning to America's biggest businesses.Not only does the Supreme Court's ruling weaken the NCAA's stranglehold on college sports, it shows they're open to action against modern monopolies.
< Opinion, Sports, Politics, Economy, Markets, Policy, Economy, NCAA, Supreme Court, College Sports, Brett Kavanaugh, Antitrust, FTC, Department of Justice, Neil Gorsuch, BI Commentary, permalancer, Opinion >
- Business Insider 21:17June 22, 2021The New York City mayor's job is a poisoned chalice that consumes the individual who wins it. That's why it's the best election.The last time a mayor attained higher elected office was in the 1860s. Those who run for Gracie Manor will end their political career there.
< Opinion, Politics, New York City, Bill de Blasio, BI Commentary, Opinion, Rudy Guliani, Michael Bloomberg, Elections, INSIDER Data >
- Business Insider 16:04June 20, 2021Workplaces need to finally support fathers as caregiversMoms have been disproportionately affected by the pandemic. It's time for workplaces to let fathers help.
< Opinion, Economy, Strategy, Opinion, BI Commentary, Commentary Freelancer, Father's Day, Economy, Strategy, Parental Leave, family leave >
- Business Insider 15:27June 20, 2021I'm a Trump voter from Arizona. My state's Democratic Senator, Kyrsten Sinema, needs to support Joe Biden's American Jobs Plan.As a Trump voter, I'm calling on Democratic Sen. Kyrsten Sinema to support Joe Biden's jobs plan. The people of Arizona need it.
< Opinion, Politics, Economy, Opinion, BI Commentary, Commentary Freelancer, Kyrsten Sinema, Arizona, Biden, American Jobs Plan >
- Business Insider 15:04June 20, 2021Mark Zuckerberg's reputation has gone from heralded genius to 'worst Bond villain ever.' So why do so many business school grads still want to be the next Zuckerberg?New MBA grads are flocking to startups, despite their awful success rate. Harvard Business School professor Tom Eisenmann tried to figure out why.
< Opinion, Tech Insider, Economy, Strategy, Facebook, Mark Zuckerberg, start-ups, MBA, Business School, Stanford, Yale, FTC, Instagram, BI Commentary, permalancer, review >
- Business Insider 15:28June 19, 2021The internet is destroying our brains, but we can't quit. It's a factory we're forced to work in without any pay.People are waking up to the harms of the internet, but we still can't escape it. We need to change how we define the problem.
< Opinion, Tech Insider, Media, Strategy, News, Opinion, BI Commentary, Social Media, Internet, permalancer, Mental Health, Tech, Media, Digital Culture, BI Graphics, Marianne Ayala >
- Business Insider 15:04June 19, 2021The US job market is about to turn into a giant science experiment - with millions of Americans as guinea pigsHalf of America's governors are cutting off enhanced unemployment benefits for workers and subjecting millions of people to economic shock therapy.
< Opinion, Politics, Markets, Economy, Unemployment benefits, COVID-19, Bernie Sanders, Job Market, Wages, Unemployment, Joe Biden, Supreme Court, BI Commentary, permalancer, Opinion, Economy, Policy >
- Business Insider 16:04June 18, 2021Republicans are using baffling legalese and underhanded tactics to quietly push through their deeply unpopular policies. Don't fall for their shady tricks.Using perplexing language and trying to confuse their constituents is just the latest strategy issued by Republicans attempting to enact policy.
< Opinion, Politics, Opinion, BI Commentary, permalancer, GOP, Republicans, Legislation, Abortion, Voting Rights, BI Graphics, Samantha Lee >
- Business Insider 19:37June 14, 2021The Indian government's failed vaccine drive has caused thousands of Indians to needlessly dieBecause of the Indian government's mismanagement of the vaccine drive, hundreds of thousands of Indians have died from COVID-19.
< Opinion, Politics, Healthcare, News, Opinion, BI Commentary, India, COVID-19, Vaccine, Modi, Commentary Freelancer, InsiderAsia >
- Business Insider 16:01June 14, 2021Just because you've been vaccinated doesn't mean you can stop caring about America's vaccine campaignThings are returning to normal for vaccinated people. But without one last push to increase vaccination rates, we might all be at risk.
< Opinion, Politics, Healthcare, Science, Opinion, BI Commentary, permalancer, COVID-19, Pandemic, Vaccines, reopening, Health >
- Business Insider 15:28June 13, 2021This was one of the worst weeks for China on the world stage in a whileThe worst thing for China is for America and its allies to get their act together. Biden is doing that in Europe and the Senate is backing him up.
< Opinion, Politics, News, China, Joe Biden, G7 Summit, US-China rivalry, Xi Jinping, BI Commentary, Uyghur Muslims, Opinion, columnist, European Union >
- Business Insider 15:27June 13, 2021The dream of the techno-utopian workplace is dead. Remote work proved that digitizing the workplace isn't liberating, it's a company-controlled nightmare.Even the benefits to working remotely were purely incidental. Companies were never interested in worker well-being - just their bottom line.
< Opinion, Tech Insider, Careers, Strategy, Opinion, BI Commentary, Remote Work, Tech, Utopia, Silicon Valley, Strategy, Pandemic, Future of Work, permalancer, Marianne Ayala, BI Graphics >
- Business Insider 16:03June 12, 2021Rep. Paul Gosar learned the hard way: supporting the insurrection has consequences in CongressRepresentative Paul Gosar helped incite the insurrection on January 6. Now it's harder for him to get things done on the hill.
< Opinion, Politics, Opinion, BI Commentary, Commentary Freelancer, Politics, Insurrection, Paul Gosar, Raul Grijalva, Congress >
- Business Insider 15:04June 12, 2021Joe Biden is coming face-to-face with a Europe that grew much more powerful during Trump's presidencyEurope had to stand on their own during the Trump presidency and President Biden should let the EU take the lead on some international issues.
< Opinion, Politics, G7 Summit, Joe Biden, European Union, Donald Trump, BI Commentary, Opinion, Commentary Freelancer >
- Business Insider 20:08June 10, 2021I'm trying to buy a house and it's absolute hellHouse hunting in the COVID era is a Kafkaesque nightmare of wildly overpriced homes, minuscule inventory, and desperate competition.
< Opinion, Politics, News, BI Commentary, Opinion, New York City, New York, Houses, House Hunting, COVID-19 pandemic, coronavirus pandemic, coronavirus, COVID-19, COVID, Housing Bubble, Parenting, Schools, Real Estate, Zillow >
- Business Insider 16:59June 10, 2021Dozens of states are about to slash unemployment benefits. The move is a painful gut punch for millions of Americans who will be unable to pay their bills.The "choice" of whether to return to or accept a job that won't pay enough to cover the most essential expenses really isn't a choice at all.
< Opinion, Politics, Economy, Opinion, BI Commentary, Politics, Unemployment benefits, Policy, American Rescue Plan, Unemployment, Economy, Commentary Freelancer >
- Business Insider 18:43June 9, 2021Republicans always whine about 'cancel culture,' but they also love to 'cancel' things that are actually important to our democracyPolitics for the GOP is no longer about conservative ideology - it's about cancel culture.
< Opinion, Politics, News, Opinion, BI Commentary, Politics, GOP, cancel culture, Republicans, Liz Cheney, Voting Rights, Commentary Freelancer >
- Business Insider 16:02June 9, 2021Welcome to Wall Street's 'Summer of Anxiety'As the world transitions from the pandemic, Wall Street's money men are realizing that the economy and the market have become unrecognizable.
< Opinion, Markets, Finance, Economy, Wall Street, Meme stocks, Inflation, Hedge Funds, AMC, Stock Market, Federal Reserve, BI Commentary, Opinion, columnist >
- Business Insider 16:04June 6, 2021I am immunocompromised, and the vaccine may not keep me safe. As the country reopens and mask mandates lift, millions of people like me feel scared and abandoned.Public health guidance needs to keep some protections in place for the ten million Americans like me who have compromised immune systems.
< Opinion, Healthcare, Politics, Science, Opinion, BI Commentary, COVID-19, CDC, Public Health, Commentary Freelancer, Vaccines >
- Business Insider 16:03June 5, 2021I'm a millionaire. Biden's plan to raise my taxes is a great idea.Rich people like me are going to invest no matter what the capital gains tax is, so go ahead and raise the taxes.
< Opinion, Politics, Economy, Opinion, BI Commentary, Commentary Freelancer, Taxes, Biden, Politics, Wealth Tax, Capital gains tax >
- Business Insider 15:03June 5, 2021The GOP is failing to make a villain out of Biden and has run out of ideas - so now they're getting desperate and turning on their own.Whenever Republicans are faced with a country moving left, they resort to desperate culture war antics.
< Opinion, Politics, Opinion, BI Commentary, permalancer, Liz Cheney, cancel culture, Woke, Republicans, Politics, Joe Biden, Mitch McConell, Woke Capital, Kevin McCarthy >