- Business Insider 15:56May 13, 2021The US economy has not hit 'peak data.' There's still plenty of room for the post-COVID boom to soar.Economists are worried that the US economy's pace of reopening could cool as the labor market slows and prices pick up. That's not the case at all.
< Opinion, Politics, Economy, Markets, Economy, Policy, ISM manufacturing index, GDP, Recession, Inflation, BI Commentary, Commentary Freelancer, Opinion >
- Business Insider 16:07May 12, 2021Give it up Reagan Republicans, you're not in the GOP anymoreAs the Liz Cheney fight shows, the GOP has decided that denying reality is the litmus test for being a Republican. If that's not your thing, get out.
< Opinion, Politics, News, BI Commentary, Republican Party, Liz Cheney, GOP, Senate, Donald Trump, Opinion, columnist, Ronald Reagan, Arizona >
- Business Insider 16:04May 10, 2021The ridiculous amount of money we spend on on the US military is actually making our country less safeThe "military-industrial complex" refers to an assortment of federal entities that profit off of "forever wars." This harms us in the long run.
< Opinion, Politics, Military & Defense, Opinion, BI Commentary, Commentary Freelancer, Military, Biden, Politics, military budget, National Security >
- Business Insider 17:03May 9, 2021You know what mothers really want for Mothers' Day? A work and school schedule that lines upIf you can't pick up your kid on time, you can pay for pricy after-school care. You're planning to be a working parent, so that should be fine, right?
< Opinion, Life, Economy, Strategy, Politics, Opinion, BI Commentary, Parenting, Mothers, Fathers, Childcare, Daycare, Policy, Commentary Freelancer >
- Business Insider 16:32May 9, 2021Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer should just retire alreadyDemocrats are barely holding onto the Senate. So the right time for Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer to retire is now.
< Opinion, Politics, Opinion, BI Commentary, columnist, Stephen Breyer, Supreme Court, Politics, Senate Democrats, Joe Biden, Donald Trump, Brett Kavanaugh >
- Business Insider 16:03May 9, 2021Wall Street boogeymen known as 'bond vigilantes' have haunted Democrats for decades. But Biden has a chance to exorcise those demons, reshape the economy, and tackle climate change.Joe Biden wants to raise taxes to "pay for" his massive infrastructure plan, but this is a huge mistake - he should just pay for it with debt instead.
< Opinion, Economy, Markets, Politics, Bond Vigilante, Wall Street, Joe Biden, Climate Change, National Debt, Federal Deficit, Debt, BI Commentary, permalancer, Opinion, BI Graphics, Samantha Lee >
- Business Insider 15:27May 9, 2021Don't be a jerk about COVID reopening, whether you want to move slow or fastEmpathize with those who aren't ready to rush back to "normal." But don't force everyone else to stay locked-down post-vaccination.
< Opinion, Politics, News, Science, BI Commentary, Opinion, COVID-19, COVID, masks, Pandemic, coronavirus, coronavirus pandemic, CDC, Centers for Disease Control, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) >
- Business Insider 15:04May 9, 2021Basecamp's controversial move to ban politics at work is a reminder that the workplace is not a democracy - workers have little power to combat bad policiesThe least democratic place in America is the workplace where employers have the legal right to hire, fire, and set rules with no say from employees.
< Opinion, Strategy, Tech Insider, Careers, Opinion, BI Commentary, Basecamp, Worker Rights, Democracy, permalancer, BI Graphics, Marianne Ayala, Management >
- Business Insider 17:03May 8, 2021There's a simple way Congress can make birth control easier to access and improve women's healthWomen face too many barriers and hoops to jump through to get birth control prescriptions which many have been on for years. Telehealth can help.
< Opinion, Healthcare, Politics, Opinion, BI Commentary, Commentary Freelancer, Birth Control, Health, Healthcare, Telehealth >
- Business Insider 16:34May 8, 2021Who's to blame for the drop off in new vaccinations? Start with public health officials like the CDC.When public officials message that vaccinations may not lead to a relaxation of restrictions, it discourages people from getting vaccinated in the first place.
< Opinion, Politics, Science, Healthcare, News, Opinion, BI Commentary, Commentary Freelancer, Public Health, COVID-19, Pandemic, COVID-19 vaccine >
- Business Insider 16:02May 8, 2021Workers have been getting screwed over for too long. The PRO Act can help flip the tide.Under the act, independent contractors, who are often from the most marginalized communities, would be given additional rights to organize.
< Opinion, Politics, Economy, Strategy, Opinion, BI Commentary, PRO Act, Politics, Freelance, Workers Rights, Commentary Freelancer >
- Business Insider 15:28May 8, 2021Americans can't keep ignoring the dozens of states sneaking through laws that attack the right to protest and make it more dangerous to take to the streetsOne law gives immunity to drivers who run over protesters, another makes it a felony to damage flags or statues.This is NOT what democracy looks like.
< Opinion, Politics, News, Opinion, BI Commentary, Politics, Policy, Protests, Republican, Florida, Georgia >
- Business Insider 15:04May 8, 2021The US economy is barreling towards a post-COVID boom. All it took was for the people in charge to finally learn from the 2008 recession's disastrous mistakes.The US economy is set up to come out of the COVID pandemic with a historic boom because the Fed and federal government learned from 2008's missteps.
< Opinion, Economy, Politics, Markets, Economy, Financial Crisis, GDP, Inflation, Interest Rates, Federal Reserve, American Rescue Plan, BI Commentary, Opinion, Commentary Freelancer >
- Business Insider 19:16May 7, 2021Colombian protesters as young as 13 years old are being killed in the streets as they fight for a better future. The rest of the world should have their backs."Our generation is not going to be silenced by fear," one protester said. "We are going to push until things change for the better."
< Opinion, News, Politics, International, Opinion, BI Commentary, Colombia, Protests, Police Bruality, Latin America, Commentary Freelancer >
- Business Insider 16:33May 7, 2021Democrats are blowing it with their COVID messagingInstead of clinging to outdated COVID safety mandates, Biden and the Democrats should ditch outdoor mask-wearing and show people the vaccines work.
< Opinion, Politics, News, BI Commentary, Opinion, Joe Biden, masks, mask wearing, COVID, COVID-19, coronavirus, coronavirus pandemic, Vaccines, Civil liberties >
- Business Insider 16:07May 6, 2021I'm an Amazon seller and I experienced how Amazon's hidden fees and crushing requirements choke out small businessesAmazon's mysterious algorithm and extra fees make selling products on the site difficult. Here is how Amazon kept my business from making a profit.
< Opinion, Retail, Tech Insider, Strategy, Small Business, Opinion, BI Commentary, Amazon, Amazon Sellers, Retail, Commentary Freelancer >
- Business Insider 18:16May 5, 2021New York City doesn't need Andrew Yang as mayor, because NYC doesn't need a mascotNew York City needs a mayor who can solve the problems it faces - like child hunger and addressing police abuse - not a cheerleader with no expertise.
< Opinion, Politics, Andrew Yang, New York City, NYC Mayor, New York City Mayoral Race, Maya Wiley, Ray McGuire, Universal Basic Income, Bitcoin, Pandemic, BI Commentary, columnist, Opinion >
- Business Insider 18:58May 4, 2021If we don't waive vaccine patents, thousands of people will needlessly dieClaims on the intellectual property of COVID-19 vaccines have slowed down their rollouts, needlessly resulting in the loss of life.
< Opinion, Politics, Science, Healthcare, Opinion, BI Commentary, COVID-19, COVID-19 vaccine, Patent, IP, Politics, Health >
- Business Insider 16:59May 3, 2021I'm a former hacker and I believe the current round of digital vaccine passports pose real security risks. But a safe, effective vaccine passport is possible.Many of these hastily-created apps can expose sensitive personal and health information. Companies need to keep working to build a safe passport.
< Opinion, Tech Insider, Healthcare, Politics, Opinion, BI Commentary, Tech, COVID-19, Vaccine Passports, hacker, covid vaccine, Cybersecurity >
- Business Insider 16:34May 2, 2021America hasn't addressed its brutal gun violence crisis because of cowardly, callous leadership. It's time for someone to be courageous.Gun deaths keep adding up and yet leaders do nothing to address the problem. How much tragedy would finally force this country to make real change?
< Opinion, Politics, News, gun violence, Joe Biden, Gun Control, Second Amendment, Supreme Court, Mass Shootings, BI Commentary, Opinion >
- Business Insider 15:03May 2, 2021Restaurant workers should keep collecting unemployment instead of going back to work for poverty wagesWhy would restaurant workers choose to go back to getting paid like dirt? Until employers raise prices, they're fine where they're at.
< Opinion, Politics, Economy, Markets, Retail, Opinion, BI Commentary, outdoor dining, Unemployment benefits, Unemployment insurance, Wages, Restaurants, Job Market, COVID >
- Business Insider 19:44May 1, 2021I ate like Warren Buffett for a week - and it was miserableCoca-Cola galore, ice cream for breakfast, steak, and no vegetables. Here's what it's like to diet like Warren Buffett.
< Opinion, Retail, Life, Markets, Features, Warren Buffett, The Buffett Diet, Coca-Cola, McDonald's, Arts & Culture, BI Commentary, Berkshire Hathaway, Charlie Munger >
- Business Insider 16:32May 1, 2021Fraudulent unemployment claims have cost the US tens of billions of dollars since the pandemic began. Congress and the Biden administration need to crack down on this abuse.Expanded unemployment benefits helped cushion the economic blow from the pandemic, but they also opened the door to a massive amount of fraud.
< Opinion, Politics, Economy, Unemployment insurance, Unemployed, pua, Kevin McCarthy, Michelle Steele, California, Pandemic, Gavin Newsom, Fraud, BI Commentary, Opinion >
- Business Insider 16:04May 1, 2021Investors are trying to turn TikTok stars into movie stars - but the project is doomed to failA new startup is pouring millions into yet another attempt to bring internet stars to the big screen. But TikTok stars are not movies stars.
< Opinion, Tech Insider, Media, Opinion, BI Commentary, Tech, Media, TikTok, YouTube, Hollywood, Entertainment, Influencers, Creators >
- Business Insider 15:28May 1, 2021Biden's plan to raise corporate taxes will actually be good for American business, no matter how much CEOs whine and scaremonger about itThere's no data that says lower tax rates will foster more economic investment. Biden's plan to raise the corporate tax rate actually helps.
< Opinion, Politics, Economy, Opinion, BI Commentary, Corporate Tax Rate, Biden, Tax, Businesses, Economics, Politics >
- Business Insider 15:02May 1, 2021Biden's foreign policy team has made major unforced errors in their first few months on the jobPresident Biden's foreign policy leaves much to be desired, but it's not too late to reverse course.
< Opinion, Politics, Military & Defense, News, Opinion, BI Commentary, Foreign Policy, Immigration, Refugee, Trump, Joe Biden, refugee admissions >
- Business Insider 19:43April 29, 2021Biden's menthol cigarette prohibition is so obviously stupid and wrong it boggles the mindJust like the failed and evil War on Drugs, a ban on menthols is a gift to criminals and will lead to harsh policing in Black communities.
< Opinion, Politics, News, BI Commentary, Opinion, Joe Biden, menthol cigarettes, Police abuse, Drug War, War on Drugs, Mass Incarceration, FDA, ACLU, Prohibition, Cigarettes, Big Tobacco, Eric Garner >
- Business Insider 16:28April 29, 20212 big shifts coming for the global economy are going to cause the value of the US dollar to take a nosediveIncreasing inflation and a stronger global economy are going to push down the value of the US dollar. This is good news for some US business.
< Opinion, Markets, Economy, Politics, US Dollar, Inflation, GDP, Federal Reserve, Economy, Europe, Joe Biden, Stimulus bill, Fiscal Policy, BI Commentary, Opinion >
- Business Insider 21:53April 27, 2021If people give you trouble about not wearing a mask outside, just ignore themWhy are people so obsessed with whether other pedestrians are silently judging them? With COVID waning, we can all return to minding our own business.
< Opinion, Politics, Science, Healthcare, CDC, mask mandate, COVID, Pandemic, Tucker Carlson, BI Commentary, Opinion >
- Business Insider 16:42April 27, 2021'QAnon: Into the Storm' director Cullen Hoback talks about how 2 random guys trolled the entire world and inspired a deadly insurrectionThe HBO series "QAnon: Into the Storm" pulls back the curtain and reveals the men behind the conspiracy theory that broke millions of brains.
< Opinion, Politics, News, BI Commentary, Opinion, Ron Watkins, Jim Watkins, QAnon, Q, january 6, Capitol attack, Donald Trump, Conspiracy Theories, HBO, Insurrection >
- Business Insider 15:56April 26, 2021Joe Biden's infrastructure plan would be godsend for struggling parts of AppalachiaInfrastructure has been ignored all over the country, but perhaps no more than in Appalachia. Biden's plan would fix that.
< Opinion, Politics, Economy, Opinion, BI Commentary, Biden, Infrastructure, Appalachia, Congress, Senate, Bill >
- Business Insider 18:18April 25, 2021INTERVIEW: Henry Kissinger on the political consequences of the pandemic, China's rise, and the future of the Europe UnionThe former Secretary of State weighs in on artificial intelligence, the future of the US-Europe relationship, and how best to address China's rise.
< Opinion, Politics, International, Military & Defense, Henry Kissinger, China, European Union, COVID, Pandemic, Barack Obama, BI Commentary >
- Business Insider 16:32April 25, 2021Immigration backlogs for qualified workers are threatening America's economic recovery. Biden could fix the issue in a heartbeat if he wanted.By making some easy adjustments to our visa application process, the Biden administration could clear an extensive backlog of immigrants.
< Opinion, Politics, Economy, Opinion, BI Commentary, Immigration, Visas, Politics, Economy >
- Business Insider 15:27April 25, 2021If the GOP's attacks on corporate America are confusing you, it's because the whole party is confusedTrying to use principles the GOP used to stand for to explain what the GOP is doing now is like trying to catch a pig on LSD.
< Opinion, Politics, Economy, Retail, Markets, Corporate Tax, GOP, Georgia voting laws, Woke Capital, BI Commentary, Opinion >
- Business Insider 15:03April 25, 2021I got addicted to trading stocks with Robinhood during the GameStop saga. I know amateur traders like me are playing with fire, but I worry that it's too late to break the addiction.I made some money using Robinhood's stock trading app. I fear the worst for people who got addicted to it.
< Opinion, Finance, Markets, Opinion, BI Commentary, Robinhood, GameStop, Stock Market, Wall Street, Trading >
- Business Insider 17:04April 24, 2021Small businesses created during the pandemic are still creating jobs and helping the economy. So why are they locked out of federal aid?The cutoff for existing businesses for the federal Payment Protection Program (PPP) was February 15, 2020. Business created after should be eligible.
< Opinion, Politics, Strategy, Economy, Opinion, BI Commentary, Small Business, PPP, COVID-19, Pandemic, Economy >
- Business Insider 16:33April 24, 2021Police kill citizens because they are trained for war, not to protect their communitiesPolice are trained as 'warriors' with equipment from the US military in military-style training that emphasizes shooting without hesitation.
< Opinion, News, Politics, Opinion, BI Commentary, Police, Policing, Mental Health, Police shooting, Portland, Police Reform >
- Business Insider 16:04April 24, 2021'Nomadland' shatters the '#VanLife' meme and reveals many Americans' fight for economic survivalThere is an important difference between the trendy lifestyle of #VanLife and the real nomads who live out of vans to survive.
< Opinion, Economy, Entertainment, Opinion, BI Commentary, Nomad, VanLife, Oscars 2021, Entertainment, Poverty >
- Business Insider 15:28April 24, 2021I'm the president of the University of Arizona and we're holding an in-person graduation ceremony next month. Here's how we tackled COVID and got to this point.Thanks to innovative methods of testing, tracing, and stopping the spread of COVID-19, the University of Arizona is planning an in-person graduation.
< Opinion, Education, Science, Opinion, BI Commentary, Education, COVID-19, Higher Education, University of Arizona, Arizona, Commencement, COVID >
- Business Insider 15:04April 24, 2021Hospitals in India are turning patients away and COVID-19 cases are skyrocketing. But Prime Minister Modi is on the campaign trail and ignoring the crisis.The pandemic is getting worse in India with 2,000 deaths per day and skyrocketing COVID-19 cases. But Prime Minister Modi is focused on elections.
< Opinion, News, International, Politics, Science, Opinion, BI Commentary, InsiderAsia, India, COVID-19, Modi, Pandemic >
- Business Insider 16:57April 23, 2021The police in my hometown of Columbus, Ohio serve as a national reminder: police aren't afraid to abuse their powerThe brand of policing happening in Columbus, Ohio, does little to protect or serve anyone. Ma'khia Bryant's death proves it.
< Opinion, Politics, News, BI Commentary, Ma'Khia Bryant, columbus ohio, Police, Black Lives Matter, Police Killings, Police abuse >
- Business Insider 18:11April 22, 2021As a Sikh, I wish Americans were more curious about my faith - not just when we are killed4 of the 8 people killed in the Indianapolis shooting were Sikhs, but most Americans don't know who Sikhs are or what we believe. I wish this changed.
< Opinion, News, Opinion, BI Commentary, indianapolis shooting, Shooting, Sikh, sikhism, Religion >
- Business Insider 21:10April 21, 2021Cops are willing to say Derek Chauvin is a murderer. Right-wing media stars are still struggling with that fact.Police unions are willing to say the Derek Chauvin jury got it right, but conservative media snowflakes can't accept it.
< Opinion, Politics, News, BI Commentary, Opinion, George Floyd, derek chauvin, Maxine Waters, Joe Biden, Ben Shapiro, Tucker Carlson, police unions, Police abuse, Due Process, Trial >
- Business Insider 18:09April 21, 2021It's time to break up Apple's app store monopolyApple's App charges 30% commission on in-app purchases. It's arbitrary and hurts smaller developers.
< Opinion, Politics, Tech After Tomorrow, Opinion, BI Commentary, Apple, Big Tech, App Store, Apps, Tech, Politics, Congress, Senate >
- Business Insider 16:02April 21, 2021As more companies shift permanently to remote work, midsize US cities need to reshape themselves to woo remote workersWorkers with the option to stay remote are no longer tied to one city and are now weighing options such as affordability and networking opportunities.
< Opinion, Economy, Strategy, Opinion, BI Commentary, Cities, Remote Work, Future of Work, Innovation, Productivity, Pandemic, work from home >
- Business Insider 17:38April 20, 2021Deleting Yahoo Answers is a disastrous idea. For history's sake, we need to preserve our digital record.Too many websites and digital archives are being lost to time because of our failure to preserve digital memories.
< Opinion, Tech Insider, Opinion, BI Commentary, Tech, yahoo answers, Yahoo, Archive.org, Internet Archive >
- Business Insider 16:32April 18, 2021The recent slew of anti-trans bills shows the GOP brand is built on blocking progress and keeping marginalized people downThe GOP brand stands for standing against other Americans. The new law out of Arkansas is the latest attack on American's civil rights.
< Opinion, Politics, News, Trans Rights, Arkansas, Republican Party, GOP, BI Commentary, Opinion >
- Business Insider 16:04April 18, 2021I am a Leftist, trans woman living in the rural South and a gun owner. Biden's proposed gun control legislation will only help the far right.Biden's proposed gun legislation misunderstands how important gun ownership is in rural communities and will only help far-right recruitment.
< Opinion, Politics, News, Policy, Opinion, BI Commentary, Gun Control, gun laws, Guns, rural america, South >
- Business Insider 15:28April 18, 2021When it come to China, the US need to figure out which fights are principled, and which fights are pettySaber-rattlers think we can't cooperate with and confront China. They are wrong and delusional about where the US-China relationship is right now.
< Opinion, Politics, Economy, Military & Defense, US-China rivalry, Xi Jinping, John Kerry, Joe Biden, Chinese Communist Party, Japan, Huawei, ZTE, Cold War, BI Commentary, Opinion >
- Business Insider 15:04April 18, 2021Cops can't be allowed to police themselves if we want real criminal justice reformAll the "reforms" in the world won't mean a thing if police are still in charge of enforcing the rules on themselves.
< Opinion, Politics, News, BI Commentary, Opinion, Police, Police Brutality, Police abuse, Criminal Justice Reform, police unions, Use of Force >