- Business Insider 19:55July 27, 2021A $299-a-month app gave me access to a therapist and psychiatrist to fight pandemic burnout. Here's what it was like to get help through my phone.Brightside, by a former 23andMe exec, was "definitely worth it," Julie Peck says, but overall "we're just not there yet" for online mental healthcare.
< Healthcare, Nordic, BI-freelancer, Anxiety, Depression, Burnout, Mental Health, Sadness, Apps, psychiatry, Therapy, contributor 2019, Personal Essay >
- Business Insider 16:22July 24, 2021See inside Victoria's Secret's revamped 'store of the future' as it ditches Angels to lure more womenI was hopeful when I saw curvier mannequins and a more muted color scheme - but then I took a closer look around.
< Retail, Nordic, News, Victoria's Secret, Shopping, Retail, Lingerie, Inclusivity, Plus Size Fashion, Clothes, BI-freelancer, contributor 2019, Business News Contributor >
- Business Insider 17:57July 21, 20213 people on how ending the COVID-19 student-loan forbearance will impact their lives and finances"The forbearance has given me room to breathe. I've always wanted an emergency fund, and thanks to the CARES Act I've been able to start one."
< Strategy, Education, Nordic, Student Loans, forbearance, Student Loan Debt, student loan forgiveness, Students, BI-freelancer, contributor 2019, Strategy, Personal Finance >
- Business Insider 00:39July 21, 2021I got as close as possible to the launch site where Jeff Bezos blasted into space - here's what it was likeAndy Luten drove 550 miles to Van Horn, Texas to join the crowd gathered to watch Blue Origin's historic ascent. Here are 10 photos he took at the scene.
< News, Transportation, Nordic, Tech Insider, Jeff Bezos, Blue Origin, blue origin launch, BI-freelancer, contributor 2019, Space, Rockets, Transportation >
- Business Insider 18:42July 19, 2021In the summer of 'vaxed and waxed,' some salon owners face a shortage of waxing specialists"You can't pay people enough to come back to work," Bethany Smilovitch, who owns seven European Wax Centers in Brooklyn, said.
< Retail, Nordic, waxing, salon, Retail, Stores, BI-freelancer, contributor 2019, Beauty, worker shortage >
- Business Insider 14:00July 19, 20213 costly mistakes I learned the hard way being the landlord of a 12-unit apartment complexAfter spending $35,000 to fix a parking lot rife with potholes, Ryan Lais says he learned to ask tenants about issues up front.
< Strategy, Nordic, Real Estate, Landlord, Real Estate Advice, property management, contributor 2019, side hustles, Passive Income, Investing, Rental Property, BI-freelancer >
- Business Insider 14:05July 17, 2021I work at a 5-star resort as an 'Instagram concierge' who helps guests get the best Instagram shots. Here's what it's like living out my dream job.Eduardo Vallin analyzes guests' profiles before they arrive for their stay and provides tours and a map to the best photo locations.
< Careers, Strategy, Nordic, job diary, Instagram, Mexico, Resort, hotel, Travel, Luxury, BI-freelancer, contributor 2019, Vacation >
- Business Insider 17:21July 15, 2021I'm an avid cruiser and now's the best time to go. Ships are only a third full, dining reservations aren't competitive, and everything was above and beyond sanitary.Retired couple Sheila and Ed Davies say their recent 8-day trip with Viking River Cruises was a great way to ease back into vacationing.
< Travel, Nordic, Cruise, Cruise Ship, Viking Cruises, Vacation, Trip, BI-freelancer, contributor 2019, Travel >
- Business Insider 18:26July 14, 2021I've been on more than 15 cruises and just got back from Royal Caribbean's 7-day voyage. Here's how to have the best possible experience while traveling at sea.Halee Whiting's tips for planning the perfect cruise are to pay for travel insurance, research the ship beforehand, and join Facebook groups.
< Travel, Nordic, BI-freelancer, Travel, Cruise, cruising, travel blogger, Travel Tips, Pandemic travel, Travel Agents, contributor 2019 >
- Business Insider 17:27July 14, 2021The chief talent officer of enterprise tech company HPE shares her 3 best pieces of career advice for breaking into in-demand industries"Believe that no matter where you start from, there's a way forward and a strength in you that will show," Alessandra Ginante Yockelson said.
< Strategy, Nordic, Careers, Careers, Strategy, career advice, HPE, Diversity, DEI, BI-freelancer, contributor 2019, fin-tech, Hewlett Packard Enterprise >
- Business Insider 20:24July 13, 2021The exact series of scripts to use when making new LinkedIn connectionsKeep the initial reach out message short and concise, and don't ask for favors unless you develop a genuine relationship.
< Strategy, Nordic, Strategy, LinkedIn, Careers, career advice, Networking, BI-freelancer, contributor 2019, Work >
- Business Insider 16:55July 13, 2021I'm a teacher in a tiny Alaskan village. My class consists of 8 students and there are no sports teams or after-school clubs - here's what my life is like.In the Bush, there are no movie theaters, bowling alleys, or coffee shops, so Taryn Williams, 28, spends time with her dog, Betty, and her students.
< Careers, Nordic, Strategy, BI-freelancer, Alaska, Day In The Life, Rural, village, teacher, Teaching, Small Town, contributor 2019, job diary, Migration, Education, Careers >
- Business Insider 17:48July 12, 2021The best business advice I've ever received came from my mentors - here's how to find your ownJen Glantz has had a successful career, but often the journey can be lonely. She's found mentors to guide her via social media and recommendations.
< Strategy, Careers, Nordic, Strategy, Careers, Mentor, mentorship, BI-freelancer, contributor 2019, career advice, Leadership >
- Business Insider 14:05July 12, 2021I own 2 Hamptons hot spots that are busier than ever - but the worker shortage is crushing us"I recently spent $2,000 posting job listings on Indeed and only received 10 resumes," says Zach Erdem. "Servers took home $5,000, because we're busier than ever."
< Retail, Nordic, Strategy, Personal Essay, Jobs, Unemployment, Hamptons, Summer, Hiring, Work, Small Business Owner, Hospitality, BI-freelancer, contributor 2019 >
- Business Insider 13:45July 10, 2021Bain & Company's head of recruiting shares his top job-seeking tips for people feeling uncertain after the pandemicRight now, Keith Bevans says job-hunters need be open-minded and flexible rather than hyper-focused on any one company or position.
< Strategy, Nordic, Strategy, Careers, career advice, College Graduates, Unemployment, Jobs, BI-freelancer, contributor 2019, Bain and Company >
- Business Insider 20:12July 9, 2021I'm a Dungeons & Dragons 'dungeon master' who makes up to $125 an hour running virtual and in-person games"My longest-running paid games are three years old at this point, and I've never had anybody leave a game," says Todd Carlstrom.
< Careers, Strategy, Nordic, job diary, Careers, Dungeons and Dragons, Games, Kids, Jobs, BI-freelancer, contributor 2019 >
- Business Insider 20:13July 8, 2021I quit my job at a tech startup with no backup plan. Here are 6 things I wish I knew before going solo as an entrepreneur."I was stubborn and didn't seek out a mentor ... this caused me to lose several years of growth and income," says Lindsay Yaw Rogers.
< Strategy, Nordic, Tech Insider, Careers, Entrepreneurs, BI-freelancer, contributor 2019, Strategy, career advice, Work, Quitting >
- Business Insider 19:41July 7, 20214 simple ways women can advance their careersAvani Desai is president of a CPA firm and insists that women don't need to choose between motherhood and a successful career.
< Strategy, Nordic, Careers, career advice, Leadership, Strategy, BI-freelancer, contributor 2019, Women In Leadership, woc, Laura Casado >
- Business Insider 13:25July 6, 20216 ways to test out your business idea before spending money to officially start itFounder Jen Glantz says aspiring entrepreneurs should write out a business plan, research competitors, and use beta testers to get feedback.
< Strategy, Nordic, Jen Glantz, Small Business, Entrepreneurs, business idea, Business Plan, Entrepreneurship, BI-freelancer, contributor 2019 >
- Business Insider 13:28July 4, 2021People with a 'growth mindset' are better problem-solving - here are 4 ways to develop one, according to expertsMany people expect to simply 'find' their passions, but in reality it takes time and intentional effort to nurture and develop them fully.
< Strategy, Nordic, mindset, Growth Mindset, Skills, Passion, Problem Solving, BI-freelancer, contributor 2019, Psychology >
- Business Insider 20:10July 2, 2021Sustainability isn't just good business - it's a huge recruitment tool, these execs say"Everybody who joins Crisp feels like they have a connection to the mission that we have as a company," CEO Are Traasdahl said during Insider's event.
< Strategy, Nordic, BI-freelancer, Sustainability, Pandemic, Air Quality, Supply Chain, Growth, Food insecurity, Manufacturing, contributor 2019, CEOs, Leadership, Strategy, crossmedia-PwC-2 >
- Business Insider 20:09July 2, 2021A software CEO reveals how she used the lessons of the pandemic to create a more diverse and inclusive workplaceJessie Woolley-Wilson hosts a monthly meeting- the most well-attended meeting company-wide, she said - to talk about diversity, equity, and justice.
< Strategy, Nordic, BI-freelancer, DEI, Diversity, Inclusion, Equity, Justice, Diverse, Workplace diversity, Leadership, contributor 2019, Careers, Insider Events, Insider Events recap, Edit Series, crossmedia-PwC-2 >
- Business Insider 20:08July 2, 2021How major PR firms Ogilvy and Weber Shandwick are preparing for the new hybrid workplace"Just because we did it doesn't mean we're going to do it again," Devika Bulchandani, CEO of Ogilvy, said.
< Strategy, Nordic, BI-freelancer, hybrid work, Remote Work, work from home, Office, Diversity, Flexibility, contributor 2019, Inclusion, Wellbeing, Leadership, Edit Series, Insider Events, Insider Events recap, crossmedia-PwC-2 >
- Business Insider 18:33July 2, 20218 things I wish I knew before my first year of medical schoolOsteopathic med student Darian Dozier says learning to speak up in class and proactively seek help from professors helped turn her first year around.
< Education, Nordic, Strategy, Careers, Education, Medical School, Medical Students, Doctors, Higher Education, BI-freelancer, contributor 2019 >
- Business Insider 17:09July 1, 2021I went on Royal Caribbean's 7-day cruise to the Bahamas. I felt completely safe, but my heart broke seeing how hurt the tourism industry is."A server tripped and spilled some wine in the restaurant and started crying. You can tell they're on edge," Halee Whiting, 32, says about her trip.
< Transportation, Nordic, Travel, Cruises, Royal Caribbean, Royal Caribbean Cruises, BI-freelancer, contributor 2019, Travel, transporation, Personal Essay, Tourism, Bahamas >
- Business Insider 21:43June 30, 2021I made an extra $16,000 a year by renting out my spare bedroom on Airbnb - and it was the easiest way I ever made money. Here's what the experience gave me beyond an extra income."I'll always remember hosting as the easiest way I ever made money - it didn't take a lot of my time and it gave me joy," says Sasha Im.
< Strategy, Nordic, AirBnB, side hustles, Extra Income, airbnb host, BI-freelancer, contributor 2019 >
- Business Insider 17:29June 30, 20213 ways managers can support employees living with chronic pain and fatigueMake yourself approachable to discuss accommodations and recognize that not all chronic illnesses are visible.
< Strategy, Nordic, BI-freelancer, Pain, chronic pain, Fatigue, Disability, accomodation, work from home, Compassion, contributor 2019, Management, Leadership, Careers >
- Business Insider 17:27June 30, 2021How one Raleigh resident is creating opportunities for Black-owned businesses in North CarolinaJohnny Hackett's online directory of Black-owned businesses, #BlackDollarNC, has an interactive map of 1,100 companies for customers to check out.
< Strategy, Nordic, Careers, Small Business, BI-freelancer, raleigh, North Carolina, Small Business, Leadership, black businesses, black-owned business, Black-owned, contributor 2019, Advancing Cities, Edit Series, Voices of Color >
- Business Insider 19:19June 29, 2021How baristas really feel when you camp out all day at their coffee shop"You're not the DJ, and this isn't your living room. Leave your shoes on, keep your belongings close by your side, and choose the right-sized table."
< Careers, Nordic, Remote Work, WFH, Coffee Shops, Digital Nomads, Etiquette, Barista, BI-freelancer, contributor 2019 >
- Business Insider 13:59June 28, 2021Stanford's most popular class, 'Touchy Feely,' is now a book. I read it and tried the principles in my own life - here's what happened.In less than a month, writer Michelle Juergen saw huge changes in her personal relationships and says she owes it to 4 key lessons from the book.
< Strategy, Nordic, Books, Communication, Relationships, Stanford, BI-freelancer, contributor 2019, Strategy >
- Business Insider 13:00June 27, 2021Freed of London sells pointe shoes to the world's most famous ballet companies. Thousands of pairs are handmade each year by only 24 artisans - here's what their jobs are like.Ballet dancers at the Royal Ballet in London and American Ballet Theater in New York City rely on their chosen shoemaker to get the design perfect.
< Careers, Nordic, Strategy, BI-freelancer, Ballet, freed, London, New York City Ballet, Careers, artisan, dancers, Shoes, contributor 2019, job diary, Day In The Life >
- Business Insider 16:00June 26, 2021How the Black tech community is leveraging business models that made hip-hop become a massive cultural and business phenomenon"Hip hop emerged out of Black voices being suppressed," says filmmaker Josh Otis Miller. "Imagine a world where Black ideas and Black tech businesses get a voice."
< Opinion, Tech Insider, Nordic, Tech, Black founders, Creators, Entrepreneurship, Hip-Hop, Business, BI-freelancer, contributor 2019, Opinion, Tech 100 >
- Business Insider 14:30June 26, 2021I own 2 Hamptons hot spots that have been booked solid for a month. People will do just about anything to snag a table, from flashing cash to pretending they know me."On a typical weekend at 75 Main, we serve between 1,200 and 1,400 people a day and still have a line out the door," says owner Zach Erdem.
< Careers, Nordic, job diary, The Hamptons, Hamptons, New York, Wealth, Luxury, reopening, Restaurants, Hospitality, BI-freelancer, contributor 2019, Laura Casado >
- Business Insider 14:24June 25, 2021I repossess private yachts worth up to $20 million when owners default on their loans. Here's what happens when I track them down."I had one guy who chained the propeller of his boat to the dock in the hopes of causing damage to it, as one last shot at the bank," says Ken Cage.
< Careers, Nordic, job diary, Yachts, Repo market, Repo, Private Jets, Business, Luxury, BI-freelancer, contributor 2019 >
- Business Insider 18:11June 23, 2021How Raleigh-Durham is prioritizing innovation and entrepreneurship to build a strong tech workforce as companies like Apple and Google move to the regionOne accelerator, RIoT Your Reality, invites teams to think of ways augmented reality can solve Raleigh's biggest challenges and fund projects.
< Strategy, Nordic, Features, BI-freelancer, Innovation, Entrepreneurship, Apple, Google, Tech workforce, raleigh, durham, North Carolina, contributor 2019, Edit Series, Advancing Cities >
- Business Insider 16:02June 23, 2021A nonprofit HR exec on the 2 things every company should consider when building an inclusive cultureMarsha Bonner, VP of people and culture at Urban Resource Institute, said "never, ever forgetting where I've come from" is the secret to her success.
< Strategy, Nordic, Edit Series, Secrets of Success, msft-success, Leadership, Diversity and Inclusion, BI-freelancer, contributor 2019, nonprofit >
- Business Insider 21:21June 17, 2021HR leaders at Zoom and WayUp reveal how a strong virtual recruiting process can improve diversity and inclusionChief people officer Lynne Oldham said Zoom conducts more interviews when hiring virtually to give candidates more of a window into the company.
< Strategy, Nordic, Careers, HR, Recruiting, Hiring, Remote Work, Zoom, wayup, BI-freelancer, contributor 2019, paycom-future-finance, Edit Series, Insider Events, Insider Events recap >
- Business Insider 21:20June 17, 2021It's time to ditch annual reviews and embrace continuous performance management, where teams are equipped with the tools and feedback they need to succeed all year roundIBM created a program called "checkpoint" for its employees five years ago, where it sets goals in an agile, iterative manner throughout the year.
< Strategy, Nordic, Careers, HR, Performance Reviews, performance review, Managing, Feedback, IBM, Grove Collaborative, BI-freelancer, contributor 2019, paycom-future-finance, Edit Series, Insider Events, Insider Events recap >
- Business Insider 19:57June 17, 2021I'm a 32-year-old who booked 2 cruises this summer. People think they're tacky and dirty, but they're still the best way to vacation.Halee Whiting is a hospitality worker who's excited to reconnect with friends. She says cruises require everyone to be respectful and do their part.
< Travel, Transportation, Nordic, Cruises, Cruise, Cruise Lines, Royal Caribbean, Royal Caribbean Cruises, Cruise Ship, Travel, Personal Essay, BI-freelancer, contributor 2019 >
- Business Insider 19:08June 17, 2021Here's how to use data to improve employee satisfaction, promote diversity, and retain talentThe role of CHRO is going to evolve with data, Dane Holmes, CEO and cofounder of HR software firm Eskalera, said during Insider's virtual event.
< Strategy, Nordic, Leadership, HR, HR executive, Company Culture, Analytics, BI-freelancer, contributor 2019, Insider Events, Insider Events recap, Edit Series, paycom-future-finance >
- Business Insider 17:06June 16, 2021How one Durham-based foundation is investing in North Carolina's entrepreneurs and growing the state's innovation footprintSince its beginning, NC IDEA has provided $15 million to entrepreneurs in North Carolina - and plans to provide $3.5 million more this year.
< Small Business, Nordic, Strategy, BI-freelancer, North Carolina, durham, Entrepreneurs, Entrepreneurship, mentorship, grants, Funding, Support, contributor 2019, Edit Series, Advancing Cities >
- Business Insider 15:23June 16, 2021I design luxury homes - for chickens. Here's how I've made $1.8 million from a niche business that I began with $3,800 and the advice of friends.Kathy Vegh Hughes says her customer base isn't farmers but plenty of mothers who have "pets who are a part of the family" and like the benefits of organic food.
< Careers, Nordic, Careers, job diary, chicken coop, Pets, Small Business, Entrepreneur, working mom, contributor 2019, BI-freelancer >
- Business Insider 18:32June 15, 2021I tested out the writing routines of 5 famous authors to see which would make me the most productiveMel Burke cranked out 5,000 words when following V.E. Schwab's routine, but doesn't see herself waking up at 4 a.m. like Haruki Murakami ever again.
< Strategy, Nordic, BI-freelancer, Writing, Writing techniques, novelist, authors, Routines, Daily Routine, Productivity, Writers, contributor 2019, Careers >
- Business Insider 21:37June 14, 2021I'm a notoriously bad sleeper who tried Sleep by Headspace for a month to stop waking up in the middle of the night - here's how it went"Instead of saying I'm bad at sleep, I now think of myself as getting better at it," Zoe Rosenberg writes after testing out the meditation app.
< Tech Insider, Nordic, Strategy, Life, BI-freelancer, Headspace, Sleep, Apps, Meditation, Anxiety, sleep aid, sleeping, Sleep Apps, contributor 2019, i tried, i tried it >
- Business Insider 17:28June 12, 2021I visited one of the most iconic neighborhood bars in NYC after it reopened - here's what it was likeBemelmans Bar on the Upper East Side is currently open at 50% capacity, and requires one member of each party to fill out a digital contact tracing form.
< Retail, Nordic, Travel, News, Restaurants, NYC, reopening, BI-freelancer, contributor 2019, Bars, Dining, mask mandate >
- Business Insider 17:25June 11, 2021I'm a freelancer and mother who banished burnout by scheduling my own summer Fridays just for me - here's how I make the timeBy setting early deadlines for her work, Alesandra Dubin can recharge every summer Friday afternoon at the movies, with a massage, or on a hike alone.
< Strategy, Nordic, Small Business, BI-freelancer, Summer, Fridays, Time off, Vacation, Mental Health, Mother, Wife, Freelance writer, contributor 2019, self care, Freelancing, Freelancer >
- Business Insider 17:15June 11, 2021I left New York for a 4-night trip to Savannah, Georgia - here's what it was like dining indoors, going on booze tours, and singing karaoke without wearing masks"It quickly hit me how much I'd missed conversing with strangers," says Katie Nave, who felt anxious about traveling but ultimately is glad she did.
< Travel, Nordic, Travel, reopening, COVID, Savannah, Georgia, Vacation, AirBnB, BI-freelancer, contributor 2019 >
- Business Insider 21:05June 9, 2021An entrepreneur shares the exact template she used to craft an attention-grabbing professional bioJen Glantz founded Bridesmaids for Hire and says the art of showcasing your background in a succinct way takes preparation and skill.
< Strategy, Careers, Nordic, Careers, Jen Glantz, Strategy, bio, Entrepreneurs, BI-freelancer, contributor 2019 >
- Business Insider 20:29June 9, 2021How to turn off and opt out of Amazon SidewalkIf you want to turn off Amazon Sidewalk on your various Amazon devices, you can disable the feature from your Alexa app.
< Tech Insider, Tech Reference, Smart Home (Reference), Gadgets (Reference), Tech How To, Amazon, Amazon Alexa, Amazon Alexa App, Alexa app, WiFi, BI-freelancer >
- Business Insider 20:14June 9, 2021I throw luxury private picnics that cost upwards of $10,000. Here are some of the wildest things clients have asked for, and what makes for the best experience.Lauren Rivard of LA-based "The Picnic Collective" caters to celebrities and influencers and says her company hosts 30 to 50 picnics or events a week.
< Careers, Strategy, Nordic, job diary, Careers, picnic, Luxury, Small Business Owner, BI-freelancer, contributor 2019 >