- Huffington Post UK 08:58August 10, 2022Liz Truss Rejects Calls To Agree Cost Of Living Emergency Support Package With Rishi Sunak And Boris Johnson
< Politics, boris johnson, Rishi Sunak, liz truss, boris-johnson, rishi-sunak, liz-truss >
- Huffington Post UK 00:20August 10, 2022Liz Truss Blames The Media For Boris Johnson's Downfall
< Politics, boris johnson, Rishi Sunak, liz truss, Gordon Brown, tom newton dunn, boris-johnson, rishi-sunak, liz-truss, gordon-brown, tom-newton-dunn >
- The Guardian(UK) 22:39August 9, 2022Johnson ‘absolutely certain’ next PM will offer more help on paying billsPM makes unexpected intervention as Rishi Sunak criticises Liz Truss for refusal to commit to more handoutsBoris Johnson has waded into the Tory leadership row over energy costs by declaring he is “absolutely certain” his successor will offer further help to households, as annual bills were forecast to top £4,200 by January.Johnson made an unexpected intervention on energy bills at a No 10 reception, as Liz Truss, the frontrunner to be the next prime minister, was accused by Rishi Sunak’s campaign of being “divorced from reality” over her refusal to commit to more handouts. Continue reading...
< Boris Johnson, UK cost of living crisis, Liz Truss, Rishi Sunak, Conservatives, Energy bills, Politics, UK news, Household bills >
- The Guardian(UK) 17:26August 9, 2022Senior Tory on Partygate inquiry says ‘terrorists’ are trying to discredit itBernard Jenkin insists investigation will continue despite complaints from prime minister’s alliesLatest politics news – liveA senior Conservative MP sitting on the inquiry into whether Boris Johnson misled parliament over the Partygate scandal has denounced the “terrorist campaign” to discredit the committee examining the prime minister’s conduct.Sir Bernard Jenkin, a member of the privileges committee, said the inquiry into Johnson would be continuing, despite a barrage of complaints from Johnson’s political and media allies about the investigation. Continue reading...
< Boris Johnson, Conservatives, Politics, House of Commons, Nadine Dorries, Zac Goldsmith, UK news >
- Huffington Post UK 16:31August 9, 2022Analysis: Whoever Wins The Race To Succeed Boris Johnson, Is The Tory Party Now Unleadable?
< Politics, boris johnson, conservative party, Rishi Sunak, liz truss, boris-johnson, conservative-party, rishi-sunak, liz-truss >
- Huffington Post UK 11:41August 9, 2022Sunak And Truss 'Will Not Sit Down With Boris Johnson To Agree Cost Of Living Help'
< Politics, boris johnson, Rishi Sunak, liz truss, boris-johnson, rishi-sunak, liz-truss >
- Huffington Post UK 00:30August 9, 2022Rishi Sunak Hints At Cost Of Living Hand-Outs In Dividing Line With Liz Truss
< Politics, uk news, boris johnson, Rishi Sunak, liz truss, ed davey, uk-news, boris-johnson, rishi-sunak, liz-truss, ed-davey >
- Huffington Post UK 17:09August 8, 2022Rishi Sunak Promises To Keep 'Brexit Safe' In Mysterious New Promo Video
< Politics, brexit, boris johnson, conservative party, Rishi Sunak, boris-johnson, conservative-party, rishi-sunak >
- The Guardian(UK) 15:22August 8, 2022Boris Johnson rules out emergency measures to tackle cost of livingNo 10 says there are no plans to address crisis as it would be for future PM to work out planPolitics live – latest updatesBoris Johnson has ruled out new cost of living measures until a new prime minister is in place, with No 10 saying the worst financial pressure on families will not hit until later in the year.The prime minister’s official spokesperson said there were no plans for a Cobra meeting to address the cost of living crisis, and it would be for either Liz Truss or Rishi Sunak to work out a plan for dealing with the economic situation when the new prime minister is in post in a month’s time. Continue reading...
< Boris Johnson, UK news, UK cost of living crisis, Politics, Liz Truss, Rishi Sunak >
- Huffington Post UK 14:53August 8, 2022UK Government In Limbo As No.10 Says Boris Johnson Won't Make Any Fiscal Interventions
< Politics, boris johnson, cost of living crisis, cost of living, Cobra, boris-johnson, cost-of-living-crisis, cost-of-living, cobra >
- Huffington Post UK 14:05August 8, 2022It's Not Unusual For Prime Ministers To Take Holiday, Downing Street Says
< Politics, boris johnson, tory leadership, boris-johnson, politics, tory-leadership >
- The Guardian(UK) 00:30August 8, 2022Labour attacks ‘zombie government’ as Boris Johnson returns from holidayPM criticised for nearly week-long break in Slovenia after 15 Whitehall consultations left unansweredLabour has hit out at 15 Whitehall consultations being left unanswered by what it called the “zombie government”, as Boris Johnson arrived back at work from a nearly week-long holiday.After being criticised for reportedly heading to Slovenia while his chancellor was also away despite dire economic warnings and calls to help those struggling with the cost of living crisis, the outgoing prime minister was told to “get on with running the country”. Continue reading...
< Boris Johnson, UK news, Liz Truss, Rishi Sunak, Carrie Johnson, Civil service, Conservatives, Conservative leadership, UK cost of living crisis >
- The Guardian(UK) 16:03August 7, 2022Tories call for Boris Johnson to quit as MP to avoid Partygate inquiryPM’s allies brand probe a ‘witch-hunt’ as others call for him to stand down to avoid further damageTory MPs want to do a deal with Boris Johnson for him to quit parliament and in return axe the inquiry into whether he misled them over Partygate, as allies of the prime minister branded it a “witch-hunt”.Though he will leave No 10 in less than a month, an inquiry is still under way by the Commons privileges committee into Johnson’s initial denials in December last year that any Covid laws were broken during lockdown. Continue reading...
< Boris Johnson, Politics, UK news, Conservatives, Coronavirus >
- The Guardian(UK) 09:00August 7, 2022‘Zombie government’: more than half of departments delay key decisionsAs an economic crisis looms in the UK, legislation shelved and deadlines missed on energy, online safety and gambling lawsMining along the west coast of Cumbria goes back to at least the 1600s, and this summer the local community awaited a crucial government decision on whether a new deep coalmine operation would be given the go-ahead.While proponents of the £165m deep coalmine near Whitehaven say it would create jobs and help power the UK’s steel industry, environmental campaigners say it would undermine the government’s commitment to meeting climate targets. Continue reading...
< Boris Johnson, Conservatives, UK Coal, Civil service, Economic policy, Industrial policy, Climate crisis, Politics, Gambling, Online abuse, UK news >
- The Guardian(UK) 15:30August 6, 2022‘Hive of inactivity’: Boris Johnson under fire for approach to final weeks as PMLeading author accuses Tory leader of going ‘missing in action’ as his premiership winds downFor most prime ministers, the certain knowledge that their premiership is coming to an end sparks a frenetic final effort to complete as much of their policy agendas as possible and secure a legacy. Yet Boris Johnson’s decision to spend his last months thanking supporters at Chequers, holding a wedding party and taking a holiday weeks before his time in Downing St expires is an “enigmatic end for an enigmatic premiership”, according to one of the country’s best-known contemporary historians.Sir Anthony Seldon, who has written books on the Blair, Brown, Cameron and May premierships and studied the impossible job prime ministers face, said Johnson’s approach contrasted sharply with that of his predecessors who had the luxury of planning their final weeks. Continue reading...
< Boris Johnson, UK news, Politics, Theresa May, Conservatives >
- Huffington Post UK 01:11August 6, 2022Liz Truss Thinks Young People Are 'Natural Conservatives' Because Of Their 'Side Hustle'
< Politics, uk news, boris johnson, Rishi Sunak, liz truss, covid, uk-news, boris-johnson, rishi-sunak, liz-truss >
- Huffington Post UK 21:39August 5, 2022'Crisis? What Crisis?': Boris Johnson's Holiday Has Echoes Of Another Ill-Fated Vacation
< Politics, boris johnson, Nadhim Zahawi, Jimmy Carter, Guadeloupe, Jim Callaghan, boris-johnson, nadhim-zahawi, jimmy-carter, guadeloupe, jim-callaghan >
- The Guardian(UK) 20:44August 5, 2022Rishi Sunak defends taking money from deprived urban areas as he faces latest hustings with Liz Truss – UK politics liveCandidates face Tory members in Eastbourne; former chancellor, who was filmed saying he tried to divert funds from ‘deprived urban areas’, says it was sensibleThe former housing secretary Robert Jenrick has said the government’s “overwhelming priority” should be inflation.Jenrick, who is backing Rishi Sunak in the leadership race, told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme:The dashboard is flashing red on the British economy and we shouldn’t fool ourselves into believing that all is going to be fine.I think it’s very clear this morning that our overwhelming priority must be inflation. That’s what many people have been saying for a long time. It’s what Rishi Sunak has been saying throughout this leadership contest and tax cuts, unfunded tax cuts, in the immediate - always attractive though that might be to those of us who want to reduce the burden of taxation - seem less relevant in these circumstances.The reality is we’re facing a recession if we carry on with our business-as-usual policies. People are struggling – whether it’s to pay food bills or fuel bills – that’s why it’s very important we reverse the national insurance increase, we have a temporary moratorium on the green energy levy to help people with their fuel bills.The most important thing is getting the economy going so we avoid a recession and the business-as-usual policies aren’t working, we need to do more, and that’s why I am determined to reform the economy and keep taxes low.I know it’s going to be a tough winter, I want to do all I can to make sure we’re releasing the reserves in the North Sea of gas, I want to get on with things like fracking in areas that support it, and I also want to make sure that we’re moving ahead with nuclear power and more renewables.Of course, it will take time but the best time to start is today in moving that forward, as well as giving people all the help we can by keeping their taxes low and getting the economy going. Continue reading...
< Politics, Conservative leadership, Conservatives, Liz Truss, Rishi Sunak, UK news, Boris Johnson, Nadhim Zahawi >
- Huffington Post UK 15:09August 5, 2022Shake Up Standards So Civil Servants Aren’t Harassed And Bullied, Future PM Told
< Politics, boris johnson, Rishi Sunak, liz truss, Ministerial Code, Dave Penman, boris-johnson, rishi-sunak, liz-truss, ministerial-code, dave-penman >
- Huffington Post UK 10:11August 5, 2022Holidaying Boris Johnson Is 'Completely On Top' Of Everything, Cabinet Minister Says
< Politics, boris johnson, Nadhim Zahawi, kwasi kwarteng, boris-johnson, nadhim-zahawi, kwasi-kwarteng >
- The Guardian(UK) 00:12August 5, 2022Sunak and Truss clash over cost of living crisis and recessionTory leadership rivals disagree on how to turn economy around and avoid predicted downturn in Sky news debateLatest politics news – liveLiz Truss has claimed her tax cut plans could avert the looming recession, after the Bank of England forecast 13% inflation and a downturn lasting more than a year.In a televised leadership interview, the foreign secretary was challenged about gloomy projections made by the Bank on Thursday, as it increased interest rates by 0.5 percentage points. Continue reading...
< Conservative leadership, UK news, Liz Truss, Rishi Sunak, Boris Johnson, Tax and spending, Tax, Conservatives >
- Huffington Post UK 20:22August 4, 2022Boris Johnson And Nadhim Zahawi On Holiday As UK Heads For Economic Meltdown
< Politics, boris johnson, bank of england, Nadhim Zahawi, recession, boris-johnson, bank-of-england, nadhim-zahawi >
- Huffington Post UK 13:42August 3, 2022Irish Deputy PM Is Not 'Hugely Optimistic' About Who Could Soon Be In No.10
< Politics, brexit, boris johnson, Rishi Sunak, Ireland, liz truss, Northern Ireland Protocol, boris-johnson, rishi-sunak, ireland, liz-truss, northern-ireland-protocol >
- The Guardian(UK) 00:30August 3, 2022Poll shows 54% against Boris Johnson drawing up resignation honours listExclusive: House of Lords ‘bursting at seams’ and reform is needed, say campaignersCampaigners have called for an end to “unchecked political patronage” as polling found most people oppose plans for Boris Johnson to appoint new peers in the final weeks of his premiership.Alarm was raised by the Electoral Reform Society over a proposal drawn up by CT Group – a political lobbying firm run by the Conservative adviser Lynton Crosby – for the prime minister to appoint up to 50 new Conservative lawmakers to ram contentious legislation through parliament. Continue reading...
< House of Lords, Politics, UK news, Boris Johnson, Electoral reform, Opinion polls >
- Huffington Post UK 00:13August 3, 2022Liz Truss Widens Lead Over Rishi Sunak Amid U-Turn Over Public Sector Pay Cuts
< Politics, boris johnson, jeremy hunt, Mark Harper, yougove, Liz Truss, Rishi Sunak, boris-johnson, jeremy-hunt, mark-harper, liz-truss, rishi-sunak >
- Huffington Post UK 20:49August 1, 20225 Times Boris Johnson Has Gone Missing In Action Since Resigning
< Politics, boris johnson, prime minister, boris-johnson, prime-minister >
- Huffington Post UK 14:46August 1, 2022No.10 Defends Boris Johnson's Decision Not To Watch England's Euro Victory At Wembley
< Politics, boris johnson, boris-johnson >
- Huffington Post UK 10:42August 1, 2022Rishi Sunak Accuses Tories Who Still Back Boris Johnson Of Wearing 'Rose Tinted Glasses'
< Politics, boris johnson, Rishi Sunak, liz truss, conservative leadership, boris-johnson, rishi-sunak, liz-truss, conservative-leadership >
- Huffington Post UK 11:59July 31, 2022Boris Johnson Holds Lavish Party At Tory Donor's Estate To Celebrate His Wedding
< Politics, boris johnson, carrie johnson, boris-johnson, carrie-johnson >
- The Guardian(UK) 00:30July 31, 2022Boris Johnson praises England women’s football team on eve of Euros finalOpen letter to Lionesses wishes them luck and says they have shown beyond doubt that ‘football is not just for boys’Boris Johnson has praised the “astounding talent” of the England women’s football team before their Euros showdown with Germany on Sunday.In an open letter to the Lionesses, who will play the eight-time champions in front of a potentially record-breaking crowd at Wembley, the outgoing prime minister wished them luck in their first major final since a 6-2 loss to Germany in Euro 2009. Continue reading...
< England women's football team, Women's football, Football, Sport, Boris Johnson >
- The Guardian(UK) 21:03July 29, 2022Boris and Carrie Johnson to hold wedding party at Tory donor’s estateGuests will gather on Saturday at Daylesford House in Cotswolds, owned by JCB’s Anthony BamfordBoris and Carrie Johnson are to hold a wedding party on Saturday at the Cotswolds estate of a major Tory donor.The outgoing prime minister, 58, and his wife, 34, will host family and friends at 18th-century mansion Daylesford House in Gloucestershire, owned by Anthony Bamford, the chair of construction equipment manufacturer JCB. Continue reading...
< Boris Johnson, Carrie Johnson, Politics, UK news, JCB, Business >
- New York Magazine 20:28July 29, 2022What Will the London Press Do Without Boris Johnson?They party on. And secretly mourn a little, too.
< boris johnson, britain, media, private eye, fleet street, rupert murdoch >
- Breitbart News 19:13July 29, 2022Supreme Court Justice Alito Mocks Prince Harry, Boris, Macron, Trudeau for Roe InterferenceU.S. Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito mocked Prince Harry, Boris Johnson, Emmanuel Macron, Justin Trudeau, and other foreigners who have taken it upon themselves to intervene in America's abortion debate.
< Entertainment, London / Europe, Politics, Abortion, Boris Johnson, Emmanuel Macron, Italy, Justin Trudeau, Notre Dame Law School, religious liberty, Roe v. Wade, Rome, Samuel Alito, SCOTUS, Supreme Court, Supreme Court of the United States, U.S. Supreme Court >
- The Guardian(UK) 18:00July 29, 2022Keir Starmer urged not to abandon pledge to abolish House of LordsExclusive: Gordon Brown warns plans to flood upper chamber with dozens of Tory peers proves urgent need for reformGordon Brown: Johnson is planning to fill the Lords with croniesKeir Starmer has been urged not to abandon a key leadership pledge of abolishing the House of Lords, with Gordon Brown warning that plans to “gerrymander” parliament’s upper chamber by flooding it with dozens of Tory peers proved the need for drastic reform.Alarm was raised by the former Labour prime minister over a proposal drawn up by a political lobbying group for Boris Johnson to appoint up to 50 new Conservatives to ram contentious legislation through given a series of embarrassing defeats by peers. Continue reading...
< House of Lords, Conservatives, Politics, Boris Johnson, UK news, Gordon Brown, Keir Starmer >
- Huffington Post UK 12:47July 29, 2022US Supreme Court Judge Joked Boris Johnson 'Paid The Price' For Criticising Abortion Rights Decision
< Politics, boris johnson, Abortion, Supreme Court, samuel alito, boris-johnson, abortion, supreme-court, samuel-alito >
- Huffington Post UK 10:56July 29, 2022Babysitting Boris: Former Aide Says She Was Like A 'Nanny' To Prime Minister
< Politics, boris johnson, dominic cummings, cleo watson, boris-johnson, dominic-cummings, cleo-watson >
- Huffington Post UK 09:57July 29, 2022'I Didn't Want Boris Johnson To Go,' Ben Wallace Says As He Endorses Liz Truss
< Politics, boris johnson, liz truss, ben wallace, boris-johnson, liz-truss, ben-wallace >
- The Guardian(UK) 09:00July 29, 2022Boris Johnson ally out of running for top NCA job amid cronyism rowExclusive: Bernard Hogan-Howe has not reapplied after No 10 intervened over his initial non-selectionDowning Street’s attempt to shoehorn Bernard Hogan-Howe into a plum job leading the National Crime Agency (NCA) has ended in failure as the former Metropolitan police chief has pulled out of the running amid a bitter cronyism row.No 10 had the selection process restarted earlier this year after an expert panel failed to choose Lord Hogan-Howe, who became a vocal supporter of Boris Johnson after leaving the Met in 2017. Continue reading...
< Bernard Hogan-Howe, NCA (National Crime Agency), Police, Boris Johnson, Conservatives, Politics, UK news >
- Huffington Post UK 00:44July 29, 2022Boris Johnson's Popularity With Tory Members Looms Large At First Leadership Hustings
< Politics, boris johnson, Rishi Sunak, liz truss, Nick Ferrari, boris-johnson, rishi-sunak, liz-truss, nick-ferrari >
- Huffington Post UK 22:48July 28, 2022Martin Lewis Blasts ‘Zombie Government’ Over Failing To Tackle Soaring Energy Bills
< News, boris johnson, Rishi Sunak, liz truss, cost of living, martin lewis, boris-johnson, rishi-sunak, liz-truss, cost-of-living, martin-lewis >
- Huffington Post UK 11:33July 28, 2022Nadine Dorries Says Reports She Could Give Up Her Safe Seat For Boris Johnson Are 'Nuclear Grade Tosh'
< Politics, boris johnson, nadine dorries, tory leadership, boris-johnson, politics, nadine-dorries, tory-leadership >
- The Guardian(UK) 11:05July 28, 2022Nadine Dorries suggests Rishi Sunak was part of ‘coup’ to oust Boris JohnsonCulture secretary and Liz Truss backer says Tory MPs made ‘huge mistake’ removing prime ministerPolitics live: latest updatesNadine Dorries has suggested Rishi Sunak was part of a “coup” that brought down Boris Johnson, and said Conservative MPs made a “huge mistake” removing the prime minister.The culture secretary, who is one of Johnson’s most avid supporters, said he was a “great leader” and she was “very disappointed” he would be stepping down on 5 September. Continue reading...
< Conservative leadership, Conservatives, Politics, Nadine Dorries, Liz Truss, Rishi Sunak, Boris Johnson, UK news >
- Huffington Post UK 10:47July 28, 2022Boris Johnson Does Not Support Tory Grassroots Bid To Keep Him In No. 10, Says Nadine Dorries
< Politics, boris johnson, nadine dorries, boris-johnson, nadine-dorries >
- Huffington Post UK 15:20July 27, 2022Kwasi Kwarteng Walks Out Of Interview After Questions Over Boris Johnson's Lebedev Meeting
< Politics, boris johnson, kwasi kwarteng, interview, lebedev, boris-johnson, kwasi-kwarteng >
- Huffington Post UK 00:30July 27, 2022Rishi Sunak Promises VAT Cut To Help Soaring Energy Bills In Big Campaign Shift
< Politics, boris johnson, Rishi Sunak, liz truss, therese coffey, boris-johnson, rishi-sunak, liz-truss, therese-coffey >
- The Guardian(UK) 16:43July 26, 2022Boris Johnson says 2018 Lebedev visit was in line with security protocolsPM says no government business was discussed ‘as far as I am aware’ and officials knew of his trip in advanceBoris Johnson has told MPs that no government business was discussed “as far as I am aware” when he met the former KGB agent Alexander Lebedev at an Italian palazzo without officials present when he was foreign secretary.The prime minister admitted this month that he met the businessman in April 2018 after making a trip to a restored castle in Perugia owned by Evgeny Lebedev, Alexander’s son, for a weekend-long party after attending a Nato foreign ministers’ meeting in Brussels that discussed the security situation with Russia. Continue reading...
< Boris Johnson, Alexander Lebedev, Conservatives, Politics, Media, UK news >
- Huffington Post UK 15:48July 26, 2022Boris Johnson Defends Meeting Ex-KGB Agent Alexander Lebedev Without Officials Present
< Politics, boris johnson, Alexander Lebedev, boris-johnson, alexander-lebedev >
- Business Insider 14:49July 26, 2022Boris Johnson delays investigation into Islamophobia allegation against minister until new PM appointedAn investigation was opened in January into claims by Tory MP Nus Ghani that she was told she lost a ministerial post because of her "Muslimness".
< Politics, UK Politics, News UK, Boris Johnson, Islamophobia >
- Huffington Post UK 11:44July 26, 2022Boris Johnson Risking Trump-Style Chaos With Talk Of Staying On As PM, Says Tory MP
< Politics, boris johnson, Conservative Party UK, steve baker, boris-johnson, conservative-party-uk, steve-baker >
- Huffington Post UK 22:17July 25, 2022Boris Johnson 'Wants To Remain Prime Minister And Lead The Tories Into Next Election'
< Politics, boris johnson, conservative party, boris-johnson, conservative-party >