- Business Insider 20:48May 14, 2021Just 45% of House Republicans say they've been vaccinated while 100% of congressional Democrats say they've gotten the shotOpposition to the COVID-19 vaccines is widespread among Republicans and is hindering the US's efforts achieve herd immunity.
< Politics, News, House Republicans, Congress, US House of Representatives, Senate, COVID-19, COVID-19 vaccine >
- Business Insider 19:27May 14, 2021Rep. Eric Swalwell slams Marjorie Taylor Greene's spokesman during mask confrontation: 'You don't tell me what to f---ing do'"Predictably, he went speechless. I regret I wasn't more explicit," the California lawmaker said of the Friday incident.
< Politics, News, Marjorie Taylor Greene, Congress, masks, CDC, Republicans, Democrats, Eric Swalwell >
- Breaking Defense 18:58May 14, 2021Who’s Who in Defense: Mark Kelly, Chairman, SASC Emerging Threats and Capabilities SubcommitteeChairman—SASC Subcommittee on Emerging Threats and Capabilities Mark Kelly, D-Arizona Responsibilities Kelly chairs a Senate panel that oversees the programs, and policy decisions related to intelligence, counterterrorism, and homeland security. In addition, the subcommittee addresses the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction, along with illegal drugs, terrorism, and information warfare. Political/Professional Career Flew the…
< Congress, Senate Armed Services Committee, Who's Who 2021 >
- Business Insider 18:51May 14, 2021Marjorie Taylor Greene vandalized Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's guestbook and taunted her in a deleted 2019 videoOne of Greene's associates in the video, Anthony Aguero, entered the Capitol with pro-Trump rioters on Jan. 6.
< Politics, News, Marjorie Taylor Greene, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Congress, US House of Representatives, Republicans, Conspiracy Theories >
- Business Insider 17:19May 14, 2021Congress takes a major step towards establishing a bipartisan 9/11-style commission to investigate the January 6 Capitol attackLeaders of the House Homeland Security have agreed on legislation to form a commission with subpoena power.
< Politics, Capitol Siege, Congress >
- Business Insider 16:50May 14, 2021GOP Rep. Doug Lamborn let his son live in a storage unit in the US Capitol basement for weeks, lawsuit claimsThe lawsuit from a former staffer alleges that Lamborn disregarded COVID-19 safety protocols and made staff perform personal errands for his family.
< Politics, Doug Lamborn, Colorado, Congress >
- Business Insider 16:42May 14, 2021Rep. Elise Stefanik takes over as No. 3 House Republican after Liz Cheney's ousterStefanik's victory comes on the heels of Rep. Liz Cheney's removal earlier in the week, with the pro-Trump wing pushing for a leadership change.
< Politics, Congress, Elise Stefanik >
- The Guardian 15:26May 14, 2021House Republicans to vote on Liz Cheney successor – US politics liveElise Stefanik expected to replace Cheney as conference chairCheney ousted for criticizing Donald Trump’s election lie 1.20pm BST Good morning, live blog readers – it’s a hot Friday on the Hill and that’s nothing to do with the weather. It’s going to be a lively day, so buckle up.Here’s what’s afoot in Washington and beyond. Continue reading...
< US politics, US Congress, House of Representatives, US news, World news, Republicans, Donald Trump >
- Business Insider 09:38May 14, 2021Nancy Pelosi is keeping a mask mandate on the House floor despite CDC guidance and pushback from RepublicansHer decision also runs counter to President Joe Biden, who made masks optional for vaccinated people on the White House campus after the CDC update.
< Politics, Nancy Pelosi, Congress, House of Representatives, coronavirus, COVID-19, mask mandate, CDC, White House >
- Business Insider 06:28May 14, 2021Liz Cheney's likely replacement, Elise Stefanik, isn't nearly as conservative, but she tells 'MAGA tales about the election with gusto,' expert saysCheney voted with Trump's position 93% of the time, while Stefanik voted with Trump 78% of the time, but he still endorsed her to replace Cheney.
< Politics, Elise Stefanik, Liz Cheney, Congress, Donald Trump, House of Representatives, Conservative, Republicans, original reporting >
- Breitbart News 06:19May 14, 2021Report: Biden Clean Energy Fundraisers Rake in Millions As Administration Sponsor BusinessThe leaders of Clean Energy for Biden have raked in millions of dollars since President Joe Biden has taken office, and openly support the business which gave his campaign millions, according to the report.
< Economy, Environment, Politics, Bank of America, Clean Energy for Biden, Jennifer Granholm, Joe Biden, John Kerry, Office of Congressional Ethics, Proterra Inc., State Department >
- Breaking Defense 01:39May 14, 2021Hacks Drive Growing Calls For Mandatory Cyber Data SharingThe cyber executive order “properly emphasizes” information sharing. Sens. Peters and Portman float updating FISMA. FERC calls for mandatory pipeline cyber standards. Report says vulnerable Exchange Server “most likely culprit” at Colonial. FireEye details DarkSide’s business, ops.
< Congress, Networks / Cyber, Threats, Biden administration, Brandon Wales, colonial pipeline, Cyber Executive Order, CyberAttack, CyberAttacks, cybersecurity, Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Agency CISA, FERC, FISMA, Microsoft Exchange Hack, ransomware, Sen. Gary Peters, Sen. mark warner, Sen. Rob Portman, Senate Homeland Security & Governmental Affairs Committee, SolarWinds >
- Breaking Defense 00:15May 14, 2021ALIS Working Better, But F-35 Full-Rate Date Still Unclear“I don’t sense that the lack of that milestone is doing anything other than providing a launching point for criticism of the program,” JPO Director Lt. Gen. Eric Fick said.
< Air Warfare, Congress, 2022 budget, air force, ALIS, F-35 Joint Program Office, f-35 joint strike fighter, Gen. Eric Fick, HAC-D, House Armed Services Commitee, Joint Simulation Environment, McAleese conference 2021, Operational Data Integrated Network ODIN, Rep. Adam Smith, Rep. Anthony Brown >
- Business Insider 23:49May 13, 2021AOC calls Marjorie Taylor Greene a 'belligerent person that's not in control of themselves' after the GOP lawmaker chased her down a hallway in the Capitol"I used to work as a bartender. These are the kinds of people that I threw out of bars all the time," Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez told reporters.
< Politics, News, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Marjorie Taylor Greene, Congress, capitol, Republicans, Democrats, Nancy Pelosi >
- Breaking Defense 21:25May 13, 2021Marine Commandant Embraces Flat Budgets For Two YearsMarine Corps Commandant Gen. David Berger’s announcement comes amid the radical changes he is making in how the Corps equips itself, and deploys.
< Congress, Land Warfare, Naval Warfare, 2022 budget, Defense Budget 2021, Gen. David Berger, Marine Corps, McAleese conference, McAleese conference 2021 >
- Breaking Defense 20:15May 13, 2021Wormuth Defends Army Budget, Missile ProgramsThe nominee for Army Secretary also aims to end “friction” between civilian acquisition officials and Army Futures Command, she told the Senate Armed Services Committee.
< Air Warfare, Congress, Land Warfare, Pentagon, 2022 budget, 2023 budget, army, Army Futures Command, Army Secretary, ASAALT, Christine Wormuth, confirmation, Defense Budget 2021, Long-Range Precision Fires, LRPF, nominations, SASC, Sen. Jack Reed, Sen. James Inhofe, Sen. Tom Cotton, Senate Armed Services Committee >
- Business Insider 20:07May 13, 2021Americans, ready to book vacations again, could be prime targets for scammers, and 2 senators want more protections for travelersSens. Amy Klobuchar and Steve Daines are asking the FTC to help Americans "recognize travel scams" to avoid being duped as they book vacations.
< Travel, Retail, News, Travel, Scam, Amy Klobuchar, Steve Daines, Congress, Senate, Tourism, FTC, Business News >
- Business Insider 19:50May 13, 2021Liz Cheney says the Capitol riot investigation 'threatens' GOP lawmakers because they 'played a role they should not have been playing'Cheney argued that there's no legitimate reason for Republican lawmakers to oppose a commission solely focused on investigating the Capitol riot.
< Politics, News, Liz Cheney, US House of Representatives, Congress, Republican, Jan. 6 riot >
- New York Magazine 19:31May 13, 2021Marjorie Taylor Greene Hassled AOC Inside the CapitolThe Georgia congresswoman followed her out of the House chamber, saying she supported “terrorist” groups and questioning her refusal to debate her.
< alexandria ocasio-cortez, marjorie taylor greene, congress, politics, u.s. house of representatives >
- Business Insider 19:17May 13, 2021Pelosi says Marjorie Taylor Greene targeted Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez with 'abuse' and 'verbal assault' in the CapitolPelosi said Greene's behavior "is a cause for trauma and fear" among Democrats following the January 6 Capitol riot.
< Politics, News, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Marjorie Taylor Greene, Congress, US House of Representatives, Nancy Pelosi >
- Business Insider 18:48May 13, 2021Rep. Liz Cheney said GOP leader Kevin McCarthy is 'not leading with principles right now' and called his actions 'sad' and 'dangerous'The Wyoming Republican said it was "really stunning" to see Rep. Kevin McCarthy visit former President Donald Trump a week after the Capitol riot.
< Politics, News, Liz Cheney, Kevin McCarthy, Donald Trump, GOP, Republicans, Congress, House, capitol, capitol riots >
- The Guardian 16:18May 13, 2021Liz Cheney vows to stop Trump getting ‘anywhere close to the Oval Office’ again – liveOusted congresswoman does not rule out White House runWilling to do ‘whatever it takes’ to prevent second Trump termCheney refuses to rule out presidential bid to thwart Trump 2.16pm BST Donald Trump’s hold on the Republican party is the “most important issue that we are facing right now as a country, and we’re facing a huge array of issues, so he must not ever again be anywhere close to the Oval Office”, Liz Cheney told the Today show.“Right now I’m very focused on making sure that our party becomes again a party that stands for truth and stands for fundamental principles that are conservative and mostly stands for the constitution, and I won’t let a former president or anyone else unravel the democracy,” she told NBC’s Savannah Guthrie. Related: Liz Cheney refuses to rule out run for president in bid to thwart Trump 2.06pm BST Greetings from Washington, live blog readers.Congresswoman Liz Cheney spoke to the Today show yesterday, shortly after House Republicans ousted her as conference chair because of her criticism of Donald Trump and his lies about widespread fraud in the presidential election.JUST IN: “I'm going do everything that I can — both to make sure that that never happens, but also to make sure that the Republican party gets back to substance and policy.” -Rep. Liz Cheney on if she would run for president to keep former President Trump out of the Oval Office pic.twitter.com/s3fRBhdiBV Continue reading...
< US politics, US news, World news, Joe Biden, US Congress, Democrats, Republicans, Donald Trump >
- Business Insider 07:05May 13, 2021GOP Rep. Paul Gosar said police 'executed' Ashli Babbitt during the Capitol riot and that the feds are 'harassing peaceful patriots'Gosar criticized the Justice Department, which has charged hundreds in the attack, and called Babbitt a "young lady, a veteran wrapped in a US flag."
< Politics, Capitol Siege, capitol riot, Congress, Paul Gosar >
- Business Insider 23:18May 12, 2021GOP congressman says calling the Capitol attack an insurrection is 'a bold-faced lie' and compared the rioters to touristsRep. Andrew Clyde argued that the investigations into the Trump campaign's contacts with Russia during the 2016 election was the real insurrection.
< Politics, Capitol Siege, Congress >
- New York Magazine 22:27May 12, 2021What Happens Next After the Derek Chauvin VerdictA judge ruled that there were several aggravating factors in the murder of George Floyd, which could mean a longer sentence for Derek Chauvin.
< george floyd, derek chauvin trial, derek chauvin, minneapolis, congress, politics, justice department, crime >
- Business Insider 17:50May 12, 2021Joe Manchin says he won't support extending the $300 federal weekly unemployment benefit from Biden's stimulusSen. Joe Manchin cited the availability of vaccines in explaining his opposition to renewing federal jobless aid once it expires September 6.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Policy, Joe Manchin, Federal unemployment benefits, Congress, Republicans, Democrats, Biden stimulus, Jobless benefits, enhanced unemployment insurance, Chuck Schumer, Economy, labor shortage >
- Business Insider 17:03May 12, 2021Rep. Liz Cheney says she 'will do everything' she can to make sure that Trump 'never again gets anywhere near the Oval Office'The GOP "is in a place that we've got to bring it back from," Rep. Liz Cheney told reporters after she was removed from House Republican leadership.
< Politics, News, Liz Cheney, Elise Stefanik, Donald Trump, Kevin McCarthy, GOP, Republicans, House, Congress >
- Breitbart News 17:02May 12, 2021Donald Trump Celebrates Ouster of 'Bitter, Horrible Human Being' Liz CheneyFormer President Donald Trump celebrated the news Wednesday that House Republicans had ousted Rep. Liz Cheney (R-WY) from Republican leadership.
< Politics, Congress, Donald Trump, Elise Stefanik, Liz Cheney, Republican Party, Republicans >
- Business Insider 16:59May 12, 2021Rep. Elise Stefanik is the only candidate to replace Liz Cheney, with a vote set for FridayStefanik is staking her pitch on a "communications posture" that will "go on aggressive offense every single day to break through the biased media."
< Politics, Congress, House Republicans, Liz Cheney, Elise Stefanik >
- The Guardian(UK) 16:23May 12, 2021Republicans vote to remove Liz Cheney from leadership role over Trump ‘big lie’ criticism – liveCheney ousted from role as conference chairwomanGOP congresswoman says Trump ‘risks inciting further violence’Full story: Cheney set to be removed as GOP conference chair 2.22pm BST Liz Cheney came out to talk to reporters after she was removed from her role as conference chair in this morning’s House Republican caucus meeting.The congresswoman said she was committed to pushing back against “the very dangerous lies of a former president”. 2.18pm BST Liz Cheney has been removed from her role as conference chair by a voice vote in the House Republican caucus meeting this morning.NEWS: CHENEY removed from her post by voice vote Continue reading...
< Republicans, US news, US politics, World news, Democrats, Joe Biden, House of Representatives, US Congress >
- Business Insider 03:45May 12, 2021Liz Cheney rips Trump and Republicans who still support him, saying he 'risks inciting further violence' with false election claims, and warns GOP against abandoning the rule of lawThe Wyoming Republican stood on the floor of Congress on Tuesday, urging her colleagues "to prevent the unraveling of our democracy."
< Politics, Liz Cheney, Congress, Donald Trump, Voter Fraud >
- Breaking Defense 01:00May 12, 2021CISA Lacks Key Data On Colonial Pipeline Hack“There is no immediate mission impact” from fuel shortage on DoD, a Pentagon spokesman said. Colonial temporarily restored operations between North Carolina and Maryland last night. Russia denies involvement. DarkSide’s business model complicates attribution.
< Congress, Networks / Cyber, Pentagon, Threats, Brandon Wales, colonial pipeline, CyberAttack, CyberAttacks, cybersecurity, Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Agency CISA, darkside, Defense Department, Department of Defense, DOD, FBI, ICS security, OT, pentagon, Russia, Sen. mark warner, Sen. Rob Portman, Senate Homeland Security & Governmental Affairs Committee >
- Breaking Defense 22:22May 11, 2021Presumptive Comptroller Gets Easy Go At SASCThe only real pushback either nominee faced was McCord’s previous call for the defense budget to grow by 3-5% annually, a number the 2022 Biden defense budget won’t reach.
< Congress, Pentagon, 2022 budget, Defense Budget 2022, Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin, Mike McCord, National Defense Strategy, Senate Armed Services Committee >
- Business Insider 21:54May 11, 2021Sen. Ted Cruz says that Democratic voting proposals will constitute 'Jim Crow 2.0'Cruz insists, without evidence, that automatic voter registration will result in thousands of undocumented immigrants being put on voter rolls.
< Politics, Ted Cruz, Voting, Congress >
- Business Insider 23:42May 10, 2021House GOP leader Kevin McCarthy backs ousting Liz Cheney from leadership over her criticism of Trump while claiming Republicans 'embrace free thought and debate'McCarthy argued that Cheney's criticism of Trump and the GOP's election lies had become a distraction.
< Politics, News, Liz Cheney, Kevin McCarthy, House Republicans, Republicans, Congress, US House of Representatives, Donald Trump >
- Petapixel 23:26May 10, 202144 State AGs Call on Facebook to Abandon Instagram for KidsIn early March, a report alleged that Facebook was working on a version of Instagram designed specifically for children. In the two months since, the company has faced repeated pressure to abandon the program, the latest comes from a swath of State Attorneys General (AG). As noted by Engadget, the AGs allege that social media […]
< News, Software, Technology, attorneygeneral, attorneysgeneral, children, congress, Facebook, instagram, instagramforchildren, senate, senators, socialmedia, states >
- Business Insider 21:16May 10, 2021The House's history-making top security official talked with Insider about his plan to reopen the Capitol and ensure it will 'never, ever be breached again' after the January 6 attackWhen a pro-Trump mob broke past security and attacked the Capitol, Walker, then in charge of the DC National Guard, sent in his troops to help. Now, as the first Black House sergeant at arms, he's trying to fix things from the inside.
< Politics, Sergeant at Arms, january 6, January 6 riot, Insurrection, capitol, Joe Biden, Security, Military, Congress, National Guard, Army, DEA, Drug Enforcement Administration, Law Enforcement, Police, Donald Trump, joint address to Congress, COVID, Catholic >
- Business Insider 19:27May 10, 2021Mitch McConnell says he has no plans to step down as Senate GOP leader or retire: 'I'm at the top of my game'"I'm still in the height of my career," the 79-year-old senator, who's served since 1985, said in a recent interview.
< Politics, News, Mitch McConnell, Senate, Republicans, GOP, Congress, Midterms, 2022, Joe Biden, Kentucky >
- Business Insider 17:35May 10, 2021Rep. Adam Kinzinger says GOP House leader Kevin McCarthy dismissed his warnings about violence days before Jan. 6: 'Operator next question'Kinzinger has accused many of his colleagues of deliberately spreading lies about the 2020 election that provoked the Capitol riot.
< Politics, News, Kevin McCarthy, Donald Trump, Adam Kinzinger, Congress, US House of Representatives, Jan. 6 riot, capitol riot, GOP >
- The Guardian 02:29May 8, 2021Janet Yellen says US ‘will reach full employment next year’ despite poor jobs report – liveTreasury secretary says US has made ‘remarkable progress’Biden insists country is ‘moving in the direction’ on economyRepublicans look to oust Cheney as Trump allies push election lie 12.26am BST A California bar owner has been arrested on suspicion of selling counterfeit Covid-19 vaccination cards to undercover law enforcement agents, the Associated Press reports. Undercover agents with the California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control had been investigating Todd Anderson, the owner of the Old Corner Saloon in Clements, California, a small town about 100 miles east of San Francisco. 11.58pm BST France has joined Germany in criticizing the Biden administration’s decision to support a patent waiver for Covid-19 vaccines, my colleagues Daniel Boffey and Kate Connolly report. Emmanuel Macron hit out at “Anglo-Saxon” countries for failing to export vaccines as he arrived at an EU summit in Portugal, saying, “It is not really about intellectual property. Can you give intellectual property to laboratories that do not know how to produce and will not produce tomorrow? The main issue for solidarity is the distribution of doses. Today, the Anglo-Saxons block many of these ingredients and vaccines. Today, 100% of the vaccines produced in the United States are for the American market.” Related: Macron voices concerns over Covid vaccines patent waiver Continue reading...
< Republicans, Donald Trump, US politics, US news, World news, Democrats, Joe Biden, US Congress >
- Breaking Defense 23:59May 7, 2021HAC-D Wants Space Acquisition Exec Post Filled NowHAC-D Chair Rep. Betty McCollum and the Ranking Member Rep. Ken Calvert used today’s hearing to decry DoD’s failure to fundamentally overall space acquisition.
< Air Warfare, Congress, Pentagon, Space, 2020 NDAA, 2022 budget, air force, c-130, Gen. CQ Brown, Gen. Jay Raymond, John Roth, space acquisition, Space Acquisition Executive, Space Force, Space Systems Command, TacAir >
- Business Insider 22:27May 7, 2021How April's dismal jobs report is setting the stage for Biden's $4 trillion economic fight with the GOPDemocrats and Republicans drew opposite conclusions from April's jobs report and the way forward in healing an economy battered by the pandemic.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Policy, Congress, Republicans, Democrats, Joe Biden, Economy, Kevin Brady, Chamber of Commerce, American Rescue Plan, Jobs Report, Bureau of Labor Statistics, Nancy Pelosi, coronavirus stimulus, Unemployment insurance, Infrastructure, infrastructure spending, Childcare >
- Business Insider 21:30May 7, 2021Threats against members of Congress have increased 107% since 2020 and are expected to keep rising, US Capitol Police sayThe security of the US Capitol and members of Congress has been a topic of ongoing concern in Washington, DC, since the deadly January 6 insurrection.
< Politics, News, Capitol attack, US Capitol, US Capitol Police, Congress, Joe Biden, Donald Trump >
- Business Insider 18:06May 7, 2021The Chamber of Commerce calls for an end to $300 federal unemployment benefits after April's lackluster jobs reportThe business group claims the government is "paying people not to work," but many economists dispute this claim, pointing to some jobs gains.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Policy, Congress, Federal unemployment benefits, Republicans, Democrats, Joe Biden, Stimulus, Infrastructure, Economy, Chamber of Commerce, coronavirus stimulus, Jobs Report >
- Business Insider 16:55May 7, 2021GOP Rep. Mo Brooks is dodging Democratic congressman Eric Swalwell's attempts to serve him with a lawsuit over the Capitol riot, attorney saysCalifornia Rep. Eric Swalwell is suing Brooks, former President Donald Trump, Donald Trump Jr., and Rudy Guiliani for inciting the insurrection.
< Politics, Eric Swalwell, Capitol Siege, Mo Brooks, Congress >
- Business Insider 07:20May 7, 2021Democrats renew calls to end the filibuster after McConnell said he's '100%' focused on stopping Biden"Anyone expecting a return to some bygone era of bipartisanship isn't acknowledging the reality that we are in," Democratic Sen. Alex Padilla said.
< Politics, Mitch McConnell, Congress, Joe Biden, Elizabeth Warren, Bernie Sanders, Alex Padilla, Ilhan Omar, Filibuster >
- Business Insider 21:53May 6, 2021Mitch McConnell's alma mater rejects his views on the 1619 project and says they are 'quite troubling'"To imply that slavery is not an important part" of US history "fails to provide a true representation of the facts," a university official said.
< Politics, News, Mitch McConnell, University of Louisville, 1619 Project, New York Times, Congress, Republicans, Race, Racism, Education >
- Breaking Defense 00:01May 6, 2021House Appropriators Fear Army Cuts, Continuing Resolution“It looks like the Army’s going to take the lion’s share of the cuts,” possibly losing a tank brigade, warned Texas Republican John Carter.
< Congress, Land Warfare, Pentagon, 2022 budget, army, Army Chief of Staff, Democrats, Gen. James McConville, HAC-D, House Appropriations committee, John Whitley, Rep. John Carter, Rep. Ken Calvert, Rep. Rosa DeLauro, Rep. Tom Cole, republicans, Todd Harrison >
- New York Magazine 22:23May 5, 2021What Happens Next After the Derek Chauvin VerdictDerek Chauvin’s attorney has filed a motion for a new trial, and many other legal issues remain unresolved.
< george floyd, derek chauvin trial, derek chauvin, minneapolis, congress, politics, justice department, crime >
- Business Insider 19:47May 5, 2021Biden says he doesn't 'understand the Republicans' amid House GOP efforts to remove Rep. Liz Cheney from leadershipRepublican leaders are campaigning for Rep. Elise Stefanik - a fierce Trump supporter - to replace Cheney, Punchbowl News reported.
< Politics, News, Joe Biden, Congress, Republicans, Liz Cheney, Kevin McCarthy, Donald Trump >