- The Guardian(UK) 07:30June 13, 2021At least 130,000 households in England made homeless in pandemicWhile ban on evictions protected some people, domestic abuse and loss of temporary accommodation were common triggers for homelessnessCoronavirus – latest updatesSee all our coronavirus coverageAt least 130,000 households in England were made homeless during the first year of the pandemic, despite the government’s ban on evictions, according to data sourced by the Observer. With the ban now over, fears are rising that a surge of evictions may be imminent. But the Observer’s figures show that even while the ban was in place, households were being forced from their homes.“The ban didn’t stop tens of thousands from facing homelessness,” said Polly Neate, chief executive of Shelter. “During the pandemic, the most common triggers for homelessness were no longer being able to stay with friends or family, losing a private tenancy, and domestic abuse.” Continue reading...
< Homelessness, Housing, Poverty, Social exclusion, Society, UK news, Coronavirus, Domestic violence, Communities >
- The Guardian 14:11June 11, 2021Discovery of girl’s body prompts nationwide protests in SpainFather suspected of killing six-year-old and dumping body at sea, amid surge in domestic violenceProtests against gender-based violence are to be held across Spain after the discovery of the body of a six-year-old girl who is suspected to have been murdered by her father and dumped at sea.A surge in domestic violence cases has coincided with the end of Spain’s state of emergency restrictions last month. Continue reading...
< Spain, Domestic violence, Gender, Europe, Society, World news, Coronavirus >
- The Guardian 16:30June 10, 2021Corsica trial begins over killing that sparked global feminist campaignBruno Garcia-Cruciani, 44, on trial over fatal shooting of his former partner Julie DouibA man has gone on trial in Corsica accused of gunning down his former partner in a killing that sparked a global feminist campaign.The death of Julie Douib in March 2019 highlighted the scale of femicide in France and led to a movement by women to reclaim the streets with marches, demonstrations and the posting of collages. Continue reading...
< France, World news, Europe, Domestic violence >
- The Guardian(UK) 17:08June 6, 2021Rape and domestic violence cases will be hit hardest by backlog, says police chiefExclusive: Austerity, mismanagement and ‘reckless neglect’ has left system at crisis point, says crime commissioner Rape and domestic violence cases will be among the worst hit from the growing backlog in the judicial system, and trials could soon start collapsing because of severe delays, the new crime commissioner for England’s second biggest force has warned.Simon Foster, the Labour commissioner for West Midlands police, said underfunding and “mismanagement and reckless neglect” of the justice system over the past 10 years has left it at crisis point, and he had heard of one crown court trial date being set for as far off as 2024 – though the Ministry of Justice denied this. Continue reading...
< Domestic violence, Rape and sexual assault, Law, Police, Society, England, Wales, UK news >
- The Guardian(UK) 09:00June 2, 2021Officers accused of sexual abuse must face investigation, says police chiefCall comes after nearly 150 women made abuse claims against former partners in police force All serving police officers accused of domestic or sexual abuse should face misconduct hearings as well as criminal investigations, according to the most senior police officer for domestic abuse in England and Wales.Last month it emerged that nearly 150 women have come forward with claims of rape, sexual assault and domestic abuse by ex-partners in the police force. Louisa Rolfe, the National Police Chiefs’ Council’s lead on domestic abuse, said she was “horrified” by the allegations and “doubly horrified” at reports they had not been properly investigated. Continue reading...
< Police, Domestic violence, Rape and sexual assault, Sexual harassment, UK news, Law, Society >
- The Guardian 18:47May 24, 2021Spain PM decries domestic violence surge after five women killed in a weekPedro Sánchez condemns ‘misogynist scourge’ after deaths of women at hands of partners or ex-partnersThe Spanish prime minister, Pedro Sánchez, has denounced as “unacceptable” a surge in domestic violence in which five women were killed in the past week by their partners or ex-partners.Among the victims was a 42-year-old Barcelona woman who was stabbed to death by her husband who then killed himself, and a pregnant Moroccan woman who was killed by her partner, who called police to confess. Continue reading...
< Spain, Pedro Sánchez, Domestic violence, Europe, Society, World news >
- Business Insider 16:04May 22, 2021Survivors of domestic violence call on the IRS to recognize financial abuse and help them combat itDomestic violence survivors have endured exacerbated states of financial abuse during the pandemic, with abusers pocketing stimulus checks and potentially child tax credits.
< Economy, Politics, Congress, Domestic Violence, IRS, Tax Season, Child tax credit, Biden administration, Democrats, Republicans, Senate >
- Guardian 14:54May 21, 2021‘I’m broken and my only sin was being a woman’ – Gabrielle Goliath’s survivorsThe South African artist’s latest installation asks sexual violence survivors to choose a song to articulate their agonyThe event that shaped Gabrielle Goliath’s life as an artist happened when she was nine years old: a schoolfriend was killed in an act of domestic violence, the details of which have never been clear. “It would have been an accident,” she says, from her home in Johannesburg, 30 years on. “But, you know, when these things happen within a family, no one outside of those four walls knows exactly what went on.” She commemorated her friend in a 2010 photographic work, Berenice 10-28, which invited 19 young black women – so-called “surrogates” – to sit for a portrait, each representing one of the 19 years that Berenice had missed.The work that brings the South African artist to Edinburgh is another powerful act of remembrance, this time focused on the survivors of assault. This Song Is For … is the centrepiece, and emotional core, of The Normal, the reopening show at the university’s Talbot Rice Gallery. It bends the idea of the dedication song into a reflection on the worldwide problem of sexual violence against women and those who don’t conform to gender norms, through the testimonies of five individuals. Continue reading...
< Photography, Art, South Africa, Art and design, Culture, Women, Rape and sexual assault, Domestic violence, Exhibitions, Africa, Race, Video art, Society, World news, Life and style >
- The Guardian(UK) 00:30May 17, 2021Labour proposes new offences for violence against women and girlsGreen paper calls for misogyny to be made hate crime and bans on street harassment and sex-for-rentLabour would create a slew of new offences concerning violence against women and girls, including prohibiting street harassment, making misogyny a hate crime and banning sex-for-rent.The proposals also include introducing criminal sanctions for tech executives who do not act fast enough to remove misogynistic abuse on their platforms, building on previous proposals from the party to tackle online hate speech. Continue reading...
< UK criminal justice, Labour, Domestic violence, Women, Politics, Police, Law, UK news >
- Guardian 02:01May 12, 2021Tech playing growing role in UK domestic abuse cases, experts sayComplex cases involve perpetrators using multiple accounts and devices to abuse, control and monitor partners‘It was so terrifying’: one woman’s experience of ‘tech abuse’Domestic abuse cases requiring specialist support because technology has played a key role have soared over the last year, the largest specialist provider of domestic abuse investigation services in England and Wales has warned.Complex tech abuse cases involve perpetrators using multiple accounts and devices to abuse, control and monitor their partners using a range of tech as well as sophisticated malicious software. Continue reading...
< Domestic violence, Technology, Crime, Cyberbullying, UK news >
- Snopes 23:27April 28, 2021Was ‘How To Hit a Woman So No One Knows’ Googled 163M Times in 2020?A researcher looking into the trend said the purported findings shocked her.
< domestic violence, google >
- Huffington Post UK 07:00April 22, 2021This Artist Is Painting Portraits Of 118 Women Killed By Men In A Year
< Life, Women, domestic violence, Art, women, domestic-violence, art >
- The Guardian(UK) 18:08April 16, 2021Anger as Tory MPs vote against register for stalkers and domestic abusersGovernment rejects measures despite briefing they would support them after death of Sarah EverardThe government is facing growing anger after voting against putting serial stalkers and domestic abusers on a national register, despite briefing they were likely to support the measures following the death of Sarah Everard.Conservative MPs voted against amendments to the domestic abuse bill on Thursday that would have placed serial domestic abusers and stalkers on the current Violent and Sex Offender Register. Continue reading...
< Domestic violence, Society, Conservatives, Politics, UK news >
- New York Times 18:05April 11, 2021Need New Skills? How About a Hug? The Women’s Shed Welcomes You.In Australia, men’s sheds became a global model for helping “old boys” continue living meaningful lives. Now, women are starting their own.
< Women and Girls, Domestic Violence, Adelaide (Australia), Australia >
- Snopes 23:16March 30, 2021Is This an International Signal for Help?The hand signal, also known as the "violence at home signal for help," gained new attention in March 2021.
< COVID-19, domestic violence >
- The Guardian 10:15March 26, 2021'Ugliest crime': Outcry in Sudan over lack of justice for killing of teenage girlDeath of Samah el-Hadi, allegedly shot by her father, has led to outpouring of women sharing own stories of domestic violenceThousands of people have signed a petition urging the Sudanese government to take action against a man released without charge by police after his 13-year-old daughter was shot dead.Samah el-Hadi was shot three times and run over by a car, reports said. Neighbours have taken to social media to blame her father, who was briefly questioned by the authorities but released after telling them Samah had taken her own life. No postmortem was carried out on the girl’s body. Continue reading...
< Women's rights and gender equality, Global development, Human rights, Women, Sudan, Domestic violence, Africa, Middle East and North Africa, World news >
- The Guardian(UK) 09:00March 23, 2021Calls to domestic abuse helpline in England up by 60% over past yearExclusive: Covid lockdown contributes to surge in women seeking help, Refuge charity saysCoronavirus – latest updatesSee all our coronavirus coverageThe conditions of lockdown in England and increased awareness about domestic abuse led to a 61% surge in calls and contacts logged by the official domestic abuse helpline in the past year, the charity behind the service has revealed.Refuge, which runs the 24-hour national domestic abuse helpline as well as online alternatives such as live chat, said the increase peaked in the summer, when compared to the average calls and contacts logged above the January to March 2020 period. Continue reading...
< Domestic violence, Coronavirus, Society, Infectious diseases, Women, Life and style >
- Huffington Post UK 08:00March 23, 2021Men Have Killed At Least 112 Women In The UK Since The First Lockdown
< News, Life, Politics, uk news, coronavirus, Society and Culture, Crime and Justice, HuffPost, domestic violence, violence against women, Criminal justice, Diminished responsibility, uk-news, society-and-culture, crime-and-justice, huffpost, domestic-violence, violence-against-women, criminal-justice, diminished-responsibility >
- New York Times 00:29March 22, 2021After Sarah Everard’s Killing, Women’s Groups Want Change, Not More PolicingA rising movement in Britain asserts that the police are part of the problem and seeks recognition that violence against women must be addressed at the societal level.
< Great Britain, Women and Girls, Police Brutality, Misconduct and Shootings, Domestic Violence, Police Reform, Sex Crimes, Women's Rights, Law and Legislation, Everard, Sarah, Murders, Attempted Murders and Homicides >
- The Guardian 09:00March 21, 2021Nine in 10 councils in England see rise in people using food banksLocal authorities reveal devastating toll of coronavirus on households who have struggled to keep a roof over their headsA rise in the use of food banks and an increase in family disputes requiring mediation has been seen across most of England, according to new research that uncovers the pressures on families during the Covid crisis.Most local councils in England have also reported increased numbers of people needing help for homelessness, with warnings that many poorer households will face “disaster” unless emergency support is extended well beyond the pandemic. Continue reading...
< Food banks, Homelessness, Inequality, Family finances, Council tax, Domestic violence, UK news, Coronavirus, Poverty, Society, Politics, Family, Social exclusion >
- Observer 18:15March 19, 2021Pussy Riot is Selling NFTs to Raise Money for Victims of Domestic ViolenceThe frequently-controversial dissident punk rockers are modeling an alternative methodology for the NFT craze.
< Auction, domestic violence shelter, Foundation, fundraising, music industry, NFTs >
- Huffington Post UK 13:48March 19, 2021Any Law Classing ‘Misogyny’ A Hate Crime Must Protect Trans Women
< News, Opinion, lgbt, domestic violence, trans, violence against women, opinion, lgbt, domestic-violence, violence-against-women >
- Huffington Post UK 20:52March 18, 2021Is Boris Johnson The Right Man To Help Women?
< Politics, News & Politics (Video), boris johnson, domestic violence, sexual assault, Rape, jess phillips, liz truss, sarah everard, Equality Act 2010, boris-johnson, domestic-violence, sexual-assault, rape, jess-phillips, liz-truss, sarah-everard, equality-act-2010 >
- New York Times 18:43March 16, 2021Trial of Woman Who Killed Her Husband Highlights Domestic Abuse in TurkeyThe case against Melek Ipek, who is being supported by women’s rights groups, has become a touchstone issue for President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
< Women and Girls, Domestic Violence, Women's Rights, Erdogan, Recep Tayyip, Turkey >
- Huffington Post UK 23:14March 15, 2021Boris Johnson Defeated As House Of Lords Votes To Tighten Law On Stalking
< Politics, boris johnson, Crime and Justice, domestic violence, stalking, Janet Royall, Baroness Royall of Blaisdon, boris-johnson, crime-and-justice, domestic-violence, janet-royall-baroness-royall-of-blaisdon >
- New York Times 20:29March 14, 2021In Rage Over Sarah Everard Killing, ‘Women’s Bargain’ Is Put on NoticeThe “Reclaim These Streets” movement in Britain asks why the police demand sacrifices of women rather than forcing men to change to end violence. “It makes my stomach rot,” one organizer said.
< Women's Rights, Demonstrations, Protests and Riots, Scotland Yard (Metropolitan Police Service), Reclaim the Streets, Women and Girls, Curfews, #MeToo Movement, Domestic Violence, Everard, Sarah, Weinstein, Harvey, Manne, Kate, Great Britain, Nesrine Malik >
- Huffington Post UK 16:00March 12, 2021Boris Johnson Under Pressure To Tighten Law On Stalking With National Register
< Politics, uk news, Politics and Government, boris johnson, Crime and Justice, domestic violence, stalking, Janet Royall, Baroness Royall of Blaisdon, uk-news, politics-and-government, boris-johnson, crime-and-justice, domestic-violence, janet-royall-baroness-royall-of-blaisdon >
- Huffington Post UK 09:00March 12, 2021Vaccinating The Homeless Is A 'Moral Duty'. Here's Why
< News, Life, uk news, coronavirus, Health News, Homelessness, domestic violence, housing, Greater Manchester, Homelessness and Housing, oldham, Health equity, health inequality, uk-news, health-news, homelessness, domestic-violence, greater-manchester, homelessness-and-housing, health-equity, health-inequality >
- The Guardian(UK) 23:29March 11, 2021Boris Johnson comes under pressure to make UK safer for womenDiscovery of remains in search for Sarah Everard causes outpouring of anger as female MPs calls for tougher actionBoris Johnson came under concerted pressure to take action to tackle male violence and misogyny and make the UK safer for women, as the discovery of human remains in the search for Sarah Everard caused an outpouring of anger.The inquiry into the disappearance of the 33-year-old marketing executive added poignancy to the annual International Women’s Day debate in the House of Commons as dozens of female MPs told moving and angry stories of the harassment they had been subjected to. Continue reading...
< Crime, UK news, Domestic violence, Women, Hate crime >
- Huffington Post UK 19:56March 11, 2021'Women Are Not The Problem Here': MPs Pay Tribute To Sarah Everard
< Politics, uk news, uk politics, Society and Culture, Metropolitan Police, Crime, domestic violence, house of commons, jess phillips, violence against women, harriet harman, Caroline Nokes, uk-news, uk-politics, society-and-culture, metropolitan-police, crime, domestic-violence, house-of-commons, jess-phillips, violence-against-women, harriet-harman, caroline-nokes >
- Huffington Post UK 11:12March 11, 2021US Man Accused Of Murdering Wife Allegedly Made Kids Open Presents In Front Of Her Body
< News, Society and Culture, Crime and Justice, domestic violence, Alcohol intoxication, society-and-culture, crime-and-justice, domestic-violence, alcohol-intoxication >
- Huffington Post UK 09:00March 8, 2021We Don’t Know How Many Black Women Face Domestic Abuse. That’s About To Change
< News, Women, Opinion, domestic violence, race, women, opinion, domestic-violence >
- Huffington Post UK 11:20March 6, 2021‘I Needed To Go Into A Women's Refuge, But My Salary Was Too High'
< News, Life, Lockdown, domestic violence, refuge, lockdown, domestic-violence >
- Guardian 19:00March 5, 2021'It’s devastating': Margaret Atwood on a musical project honouring women killed by partnersIn 2015, Nathalie Warmerdam was killed by an ex-partner. Now her brother Joshua Hopkins has teamed up with the author to write a song cycle highlighting such everyday atrocitiesFive years ago, Nathalie Warmerdam was murdered by her ex-partner in one of the worst cases of domestic violence in Canadian history. The 48-year-old was Basil Borutski’s third victim that day; he also killed two other former partners, Anastasia Kuzyk and Carol Culleton. Boruktski was found guilty and sentenced to life in prison in 2017.Warmerdam’s brother Joshua Hopkins, an acclaimed baritone, was rehearsing in Ottawa when he received the call. Continue reading...
< Poetry, Books, Music, Opera, Culture, Domestic violence, Women, World news, Canada, International Women's Day, Margaret Atwood >
- New York Times 07:06February 27, 2021China Tried to Slow Divorces by Making Couples Wait. Instead, They Rushed.A new rule requiring a cooling-off period before a divorce could be granted led to an outcry, as well as a surge of applications to beat the deadline.
< Divorce, Separations and Annulments, Marriages, Domestic Violence, Women's Rights, China, Social Conditions and Trends >
- The Guardian 22:00February 26, 2021Tribal conflict worsens in Papua New Guinea as firearms rewrite the rulesLand dispute in which 21 people died is the latest brutal conflict exacerbated by high-powered weapons, weak governance and erosion of traditional moresAt the height of the killing, women and children hid in the dense forests nearby or took shelter in homes in neighbouring villages. More than 6,000 people sought refuge as murderous mobs rampaged across three villages in Papua New Guinea’s Hela province, seeking retribution over a land dispute.At the end of weeks of indiscriminate, roiling violence this month, 21 people were dead, including a woman and two girls, and dozens were more wounded. Continue reading...
< World news, Papua New Guinea, Asia Pacific, Pacific islands, Domestic violence, Society >
- New York Times 20:35February 24, 2021Memoir by Amos Oz’s Daughter Divides Family and Shocks Israel“He told me I was filth,” Galia Oz writes in her book, “Something Disguised as Love,” among other accusations of physical and emotional abuse. Her mother and siblings have defended their late father.
< Books and Literature, Families and Family Life, Hebrew Language, Oz, Amos, Oz, Galia, Something Disguised as Love (Book), Domestic Violence, Children and Childhood, Child Abuse and Neglect, Israel >
- The Guardian(UK) 18:23February 18, 2021Man who killed wife 'in act of great violence' jailed for five yearsRuth Williams from south Wales was strangled by husband Anthony, who admitted manslaughterA pensioner who strangled his wife days into the first coronavirus lockdown has been sentenced to five years in jail by a judge who accepted a claim that his mental state was severely affected by the restrictions.Anthony Williams, 70, who was on Monday found not guilty of murder, appeared for sentencing at Swansea crown court after admitting manslaughter by reason of diminished responsibility. The judge, Paul Thomas, said it was a “tragic case on several levels”, but in his view Williams’ mental state was “severely affected at the time”. Continue reading...
< Wales, UK news, Law, Police, Crime, Domestic violence >
- Business Insider 17:38February 13, 2021Nine Capitol rioters were charged with sexual assault or had restraining orders for domestic violence: reportAt least three are military veterans, and some of the male rioters were once charged with rape and battery, HuffPost reported.
< Politics, News, Domestic Violence, Violence Against Women, Women, capitol riot, capitol building, capitol building siege >
- Guardian 20:06February 1, 2021Evan Rachel Wood and four other women accuse Marilyn Manson of abuseManson has not commented on allegations on Instagram, that follow Wood’s testimonies in 2018 and 2019 against an unnamed abuserEvan Rachel Wood has accused her former partner Marilyn Manson of years of “horrific” abuse.In an Instagram post, the actor wrote: Continue reading...
< Music, Marilyn Manson, Culture, Film, Pop and rock, Domestic violence, Rape and sexual assault, US news, Metal >
- The Guardian(UK) 18:44January 14, 2021UK abuse victims given 'Ani' code word to ask pharmacists for helpPeople at risk of domestic violence during lockdown will be able to signal they need to speak in privateCoronavirus – latest updatesSee all our coronavirus coveragePeople at risk of domestic abuse during the coronavirus lockdown will be able to seek help discreetly by giving a code word to pharmacists, under a UK-wide scheme launched by ministers.If someone asks for “Ani” at one of the participating pharmacies, they will be given the chance to go to a private space to talk, to see if they need help from police or other services such as domestic abuse helplines. The name is an acronym for “action needed immediately”. Continue reading...
< Domestic violence, Coronavirus, Society, UK news >
- The Guardian(UK) 17:36January 5, 2021Urgent call for new law to tackle non-fatal strangulation in England and WalesVictims’ commissioner says current legislation minimises seriousness of ‘domestic terror tactic’Non-fatal strangulation is a “domestic terror tactic” which urgently needs a change to the law, according to the victims’ commissioner for England and Wales.A push to make non-fatal strangulation a criminal offence is being led by the former victims’ commissioner Baroness Newlove, who is campaigning for the change via an amendment to the domestic abuse bill as it returns to the Lords on Tuesday. Continue reading...
< Domestic violence, Police, Politics, Society, England, Wales, UK news, House of Lords >
- Huffington Post UK 15:47January 5, 2021Airbnb Urged To Help Domestic Abuse Victims During Third Lockdown
< uk news, uk politics, Lockdown, Crime, Ireland, domestic violence, Liberal Democrats UK, airbnb, news, politics, lockdown, crime, ireland, domestic-violence, liberal-democrats-uk, POLITICS >