- The Guardian(UK) 13:44June 30, 2022Home Office to face legal challenge over post-Brexit rights of EU citizens in UKHigh court allows judicial review of rules that remove rights of those who do not apply for residency in timeToday’s politics news – live updatesA statutory body set up to monitor EU citizens’ rights after Brexit has been granted permission for a judicial review of Home Office rules which impact up to 2.5 million European nationals living in the UK.The Independent Monitoring Authority (IMA) applied to the high court to challenge a Home Office decision to remove the rights of people living in the UK for less than five years before Brexit if they do not apply in time for permanent residency status. Continue reading...
< Brexit, European Union, Politics, UK news, Home Office, Europe, Law >
- New York Times 07:01June 30, 2022Patient and Confident, Putin Shifts Out of Wartime Crisis ModeCloistered and spouting grievances at the start of the war on Ukraine, the Russian leader now appears publicly, projecting the aura of a calm, paternalistic leader shielding his people from the dangers of the world.
< Russian Invasion of Ukraine (2022), Politics and Government, United States International Relations, Embargoes and Sanctions, European Union, North Atlantic Treaty Organization, Peter the Great (1672-1725), Putin, Vladimir V, Caspian Sea, Russia, Ukraine >
- The Guardian(UK) 08:12June 29, 2022EU countries reach climate crisis deal after late-night talksEnvironment ministers back phasing out fossil-fuel cars by 2035 and a €59bn fund to help ease cost burden of new policies on low income earnersEU countries clinched deals on proposed laws to combat the climate crisis in the early hours of Wednesday, backing a 2035 phase-out of new fossil-fuel car sales and a multibillion-euro fund to shield poorer citizens from the costs of carbon dioxide emissions.After more than 16 hours of negotiations, environment ministers from the 27 member states agreed their joint positions on five laws, part of a broader package of measures to slash planet-heating emissions this decade. Continue reading...
< European Union, Climate crisis, Europe, Environment >
- Guardian 13:01June 28, 2022I saw first-hand how the tech giants seduced the EU | Georg RiekelesSilicon Valley lobbied to change EU policy. Europe needs better ways to hold firms like Google and Meta to accountThe tide is seemingly turning against Meta, Google and other tech giants. Groundbreaking new European Union legislation is imminent, aimed at forcing the large digital platforms to do more to keep users safe and cutting down market abuses, data capture and surveillance infrastructure. As the Digital Services Act package was being finalised, the very public crossing of swords between Elon Musk and the European Commission over Twitter captured headlines. Yet the Musk spectacle was a sideshow. Continue reading...
< Business, Alphabet, Europe, Google, Facebook, Technology startups, European Union, YouTube, Digital Economy Act, Meta, Corporate governance, Internet, Media, Social networking, Technology >
- The Guardian(UK) 15:41June 27, 2022UK faces ‘significant risks’ to quality of food imported post-Brexit, says reportBetter controls on EU goods needed as impact of Covid and Russia-Ukraine war also put pressure on standardsThe UK is facing “significant risks” to the quality of food being imported and consumed as Brexit, the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic and the Ukraine war puts pressure on standards, according to a new report.Better controls are needed to ensure the quality of “higher-risk” food coming from the EU post-Brexit – such as meat, dairy, eggs and feed – and to avoid “potential safety incidents” the report by the Food Standards Agency (FSA) and Food Standards Scotland (FSS) said. Continue reading...
< Food & drink industry, International trade, Business, UK news, European Union, Brexit, Coronavirus, Ukraine, Russia, Europe, Cost of living crisis >
- The Guardian(UK) 13:46June 27, 2022Boris Johnson defends Northern Ireland protocol bill ahead of Commons voteThe EU and some Tory backbenchers claim the legislation breaches the free trade agreement signed by the UKBoris Johnson has defended the government’s legislation disapplying parts of the Northern Ireland protocol, which will face its first hurdle in the House of Commons on Monday.Speaking in Bavaria, where he is attending a G7 summit, the prime minister said: “What we’re trying to do is fix something that I think is very important to our country, which is the balance of the Belfast/Good Friday Agreement.” Continue reading...
< Northern Ireland, Politics, Boris Johnson, UK news, Democratic Unionist party (DUP), House of Commons, Liz Truss, European Union, Brexit, Europe, World news >
- The Hill 01:02June 26, 2022Zelensky urges countries to send Ukraine air defense systems amid Russian missile strikesUkrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky made a plea for the country’s allies to send it air defense systems in response to continued Russian missile attacks. Zelensky made a speech addressed to the Ukrainian people and the world on Saturday as the Russia-Ukraine war reached four full months. He said countries issuing punishing sanctions on Russia is...
< International, Policy, air defense systems, European Union, G7 summit, Missiles, NATO, russia, Russia-Ukraine war, Severodonetsk, Volodymyr Zelensky >
- Breitbart News 13:30June 24, 2022Energy Crisis: EU Passes Carbon Emissions Bill that will Result in ‘Poverty for Generations’Despite the fact it is currently wrestling with a crippling energy crisis, the EU has passed legislation putting further curbs on carbon emissions.
< Environment, London / Europe, Politics, carbon emissions, carbon tax, carbon taxes, carbon trading, Climate Change, Climate Crazies, Cristian Terheș, ECR, Energy Crisis, EU, European Union >
- Huffington Post UK 10:23June 24, 2022Ukraine Is Now Officially A Candidate For The European Union
< Politics, European Union, Ukraine, european-union, ukraine >
- The Guardian(UK) 22:03June 23, 2022Labour unveil plans to seek limited changes to Brexit dealShadow foreign secretary, David Lammy, confirms party will not seek to rejoin single market or EU blocLabour has broken its long silence on Brexit, laying out detailed plans to improve, not scrap, the deal Boris Johnson struck with the EU, in a move it concedes will enrage remain supporters.On the sixth anniversary of the Brexit referendum, the shadow foreign secretary, David Lammy, confirmed the party would seek only limited changes and would not seek to rejoin the single market. Continue reading...
< Brexit, UK news, Foreign policy, European Union, Labour >
- Business Insider 21:48June 23, 2022Ukraine accepted as European Union candidate in historic move prompted by Russia's invasionDespite the announcement, Ukraine faces a long process before it actually becomes an EU member state.
< News, Politics, Military & Defense, International, Speed desk, Breaking, European Union, Russia, Ukraine, War >
- Business Insider 17:05June 23, 2022Russia still earns about 100 million euros per day in gas exports to Europe despite 75% cut to supplyRussian gas revenue from Europe has totaled about 35 billion euros since the war began, the Independent Commodity Intelligence Services estimated.
< Markets, MI Exclusive, Russia, Ukraine, Gas, Natural Gas, EU, European Union, Sanctions, Embargo >
- The Guardian(UK) 13:03June 23, 2022EU leaders to grant Ukraine candidate status in blow to PutinBrussels has dramatically accelerated the process, amid outrage over the brutality of the unprovoked Russian attackRussia-Ukraine war – latest newsEuropean leaders are poised to grant Ukraine candidate status, in a historic decision that opens the door to EU membership for the war-torn country and deals a blow to Vladimir Putin.EU leaders meeting in Brussels are expected to approve Ukraine’s candidate status later on Thursday, nearly four months after President Volodymyr Zelenskiy launched his country’s bid to join the bloc in the early days of the Russian invasion. Continue reading...
< Ukraine, European Union, European Commission, Ursula von der Leyen, Volodymyr Zelenskiy, Vladimir Putin, Russia, Europe, World news >
- Business Insider 11:25June 23, 2022Investment in coal — the dirtiest fossil fuel — is set to rise 10% this year as energy security grows increasingly fragile due to the Ukraine warInvestment in coal is led by China and India. Europe is also turning to coal as a back-up as crucial supply of natural gas looks precarious.
< Markets, Energy, MI Exclusive, Markets, Commodities, Energy, Coal, Fossil Fuels, Russia, Ukraine, Natural Gas, European Union, clean energy, International Energy Agency >
- The Guardian(UK) 08:00June 23, 2022Brexit remains ‘open wound’ for EU citizens living in UKSurvey of EU nationals shows ‘profound and lasting’ impact of Brexit on sense of identityA study of EU citizens living in the UK has revealed the “open wound” left by Brexit, with respondents saying the decision to leave the bloc had left them feeling betrayed, insecure and distrustful towards the country that most nonetheless still call home.The survey of EU nationals from 22 countries, who had mostly been in Britain for more than five years and stayed since Brexit, showed “a profound and lasting impact on the lives and sense of identity and belonging of EU citizens in the UK”, the authors said. Continue reading...
< Brexit, European Union, Europe, Foreign policy, Politics, UK news, World news >
- The Guardian(UK) 02:01June 22, 2022Brexit is making cost of living crisis worse, new study claimsEU withdrawal fuelling higher import costs and costing British workers nearly £500 a year, says Resolution FoundationBritain’s cost of living crisis is being made worse by Brexit dragging down the country’s growth potential and costing workers hundreds of pounds a year in lost pay, new research claims.The Resolution Foundation thinktank and academics from the London School of Economics said the average worker in Britain was now on course to suffer more than £470 in lost pay each year by 2030 after rising living costs are taken into account, compared with a remain vote in 2016. Continue reading...
< Brexit, Cost of living crisis, International trade, European Union, Business, Economics, Europe, Foreign policy, Global economy, Politics, UK news, Thinktanks, Inflation, Productivity >
- Breitbart News 00:49June 22, 2022India Scoops Up Cheap Russian Coal After Scolding Europe for Gas PurchasesThe government of India this weekend followed up on its feisty refusal to apologize for buying huge amounts of Russian oil by refusing to apologize for buying huge amounts of Russian coal.
< Asia, Economy, National Security, Coal, European Union, India, Oil, Russia, Sanctions >
- The Guardian(UK) 08:00June 21, 2022Russia-Ukraine war: Moscow to summon EU ambassador over ‘openly hostile’ Kaliningrad cargo transit ban – live newsRussian foreign ministry demands Lithuania reverse the ban of the transit of goods through its territory; warning Moscow would respond to protect its interestsRussia threatens retaliation as Lithuania bans goods transit to KaliningradUkrainian missiles hit Black Sea gas platforms, say Russian officialsNobel peace prize auctioned by Russian journalist fetches $103.5mAt a glance: what we know on day 118 of the invasionThe Russian foreign ministry is set to summon European Union ambassador to Moscow, Markus Ederer, later today over Lithuania’s ban of the transit of goods under EU sanctions through Kaliningrad.Vilnius banned the transit of goods under European Union sanctions through Lithuanian territory to and from the Russian exclave sandwiched between Lithuania and Poland, citing EU sanction rules.This is, of course, a situation, that can be resolved by diplomatic means,As far as I know, tomorrow Marcus Ederer, the European Union ambassador to Russia, will be summoned to the foreign ministry .... and he will be told of the appropriate conditions involved here.”This decision is really unprecedented. It’s a violation of everything. We consider this illegal. The situation is more than serious … We need a serious in-depth analysis in order to work out our response.”If cargo transit between the Kaliningrad region and the rest of the Russian Federation via Lithuania is not fully restored in the near future, then Russia reserves the right to take actions to protect its national interests,” it said. Continue reading...
< World news, Ukraine, Russia, European Union, Europe >
- New York Times 02:49June 21, 2022Russia’s Blockade of Ukraine Is ‘War Crime,’ Top E.U. Official SaysThe remarks by the official, Josep Borrell Fontelles, were among the strongest language from a Western leader in describing the Kremlin’s tactics to subjugate Ukraine.
< Russian Invasion of Ukraine (2022), Embargoes and Sanctions, Agriculture and Farming, European Union, Donbas (Ukraine), Black Sea, Kaliningrad (Russia), Lithuania, Odessa (Ukraine), Borrell Fontelles, Josep, Drueke, Alex, Huynh, Andy Tai Ngoc >
- Breitbart News 15:39June 20, 2022Green Fail: Dependent on Russian Gas, Now Germany Fires Up Coal Power StationsClimate crazy Germany is now being forced to burn coal for the purpose of generating energy after Russia dramatically reduced the country's supply of gas.
< Environment, London / Europe, Politics, Climate Change, Climate Crazies, Coal, Donald Trump, Europe, European Union, Gas, Germany, natural gas, Robert Habeck, Russia, Russian gas, traffic light coalition >
- Business Insider 15:19June 20, 2022Russia is now China's biggest oil supplier, overtaking Saudi Arabia as Western demand for its crude has droppedImports of Russian oil to China have risen 55% over the past year, according to data from the Chinese General Administration of Customs.
< Markets, MI Exclusive, Markets, Russia, Ukraine, European Union, Energy, China, India, Oil and Gas, Crude Oil, Natural Gas >
- Business Insider 10:07June 20, 2022Ukraine's Zelenskyy says this is a 'historic week' as his country awaits word on its EU membership applicationEuropean leaders will this week vote on whether Ukraine's bid to join the EU should be successful. It's a "fateful" decision, Zelenskyy said.
< Politics, Ukraine, Russia, EU, Europe, Politics, Volodymyr Zelenskyy, European Union >
- The Guardian(UK) 10:00June 20, 2022Ex-Northern Ireland secretary accuses Boris Johnson of ‘Putinesque tactics’Labour peer Peter Hain says PM is using Northern Ireland protocol bill to provoke populist row with EUBoris Johnson is engaging in “Putinesque” tactics by using the Northern Ireland protocol bill to cause a populist row with Brussels when the EU is willing to compromise, Peter Hain, a former Northern Ireland secretary, said on Sunday.Hain, who sits on a Lords subcommittee on the protocol, said Brussels appeared willing to compromise, but Johnson was more keen on engaging in a “parallel universe blame game”. Continue reading...
< Peter Hain, Boris Johnson, Politics, House of Lords, Northern Ireland, UK news, European Union, Europe >
- New York Times 07:01June 20, 2022New Brand of Activist Takes Aim at Ukraine War and Climate Crisis, TogetherLed by young women from Eastern Europe, they are cornering Europe’s leaders and pressing them for a total energy embargo on Russia — to end the fighting and to save the planet.
< Demonstrations, Protests and Riots, Politics and Government, War and Armed Conflicts, Oil (Petroleum) and Gasoline, Embargoes and Sanctions, Global Warming, Youth, Greenhouse Gas Emissions, European Commission, European Council, European Parliament, European Union, Greenpeace, Macron, Emmanuel (1977- ), Metsola, Roberta, Michel, Charles (1975- ), Morawiecki, Mateusz, Thunberg, Greta, von der Leyen, Ursula, Dominika Lasota, Wiktoria Jedroszkowiak, Brussels (Belgium), Eastern Europe, Europe, Strasbourg (France), Ukraine, Economic Conditions and Trends, Russian Invasion of Ukraine (2022), Total SA >
- The Guardian(UK) 12:15June 19, 2022Labour must break party’s silence on Brexit, says Stella CreasyWriting for the Observer, Labour MP calls on the leadership to ‘name’ problems, as frustration grows with its stance on EuropeA prominent Labour MP today condemns her party’s self-imposed silence on Brexit, saying it is playing into Boris Johnson’s hands and hampering attempts to tackle urgent issues such as the cost of living crisis and climate change.Writing for the Observer, Stella Creasy suggests Labour’s defensive approach amounts to a betrayal of those who voted to remain in the EU in 2016. Continue reading...
< Stella Creasy, Labour, Brexit, Foreign policy, European Union, Politics, UK news >
- The Guardian(UK) 12:50June 18, 2022Russia-Ukraine war: heavy fighting continues in Donbas; UK ‘with Ukraine for the long haul’, says Boris Johnson – liveBritain’s defence ministry says Russia’s goal is to penetrate deeper into the Donetsk region and envelope the pocket around SievierodonetskUN warns of hell on earth if Ukraine war goes onWhat we know on day 115 of the invasionPutin calls Ukraine war sanctions ‘insane’ in combative speechFrance and Turkey propose rival plans to get grain out of UkraineRussian billionaire launches legal action against Australia’s foreign minister over sanctionsSee all our Ukraine coverageUkraine can and should host the 2023 Eurovision Song Contest, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said on Saturday, after the organisers said they were in talks to hold it in Britain instead due to the war.While decades-long tradition dictates that the winner of the contest gets to host it the following year, organisers said the security guarantees required to hold the competition in Ukraine meant discussions would be held with the runner-up, Britain. Continue reading...
< Ukraine, Russia, Europe, World news, European Union, Volodymyr Zelenskiy, Vladimir Putin >
- Business Insider 16:30June 17, 2022European Commission president wore an outfit in the colors of Ukraine's flag as she recommended the nation join the EUThe signature blue and yellow of Ukraine's national flag, which has been in use since 1848, have appeared around the world since war broke out.
< News, International, Speed desk, Breaking, European Union, Russia, Ukraine, War >
- Snopes 15:20June 17, 2022As Russia Presses Assault, Ukraine Given Possible Path to EUThe executive arm of the European Union recommended that Ukraine be granted candidate status to one day join the 27-nation bloc.
< european union, Russia Ukraine, Ukraine >
- Business Insider 13:34June 17, 2022European Commission recommends EU candidacy for Ukraine, moving the country closer to becoming a memberUkraine applied to join the EU days after Russia invaded. It could still take years for Ukraine to be made a full member of the bloc.
< Politics, Military & Defense, News UK, Speed desk, Russia, Ukraine, EU, European Union, european comission >
- The Guardian(UK) 08:16June 17, 2022Russia-Ukraine war: EU to give fast-tracked opinion on Kyiv bid; Russia low on troops and missiles, UK defence chief says – liveVolodymyr Zelenskiy says Ukraine ready to put in the work to become an EU member; Russia will emerge a ‘more diminished power’, says British Admiral Sir Tony Radakin Russia has ‘strategically lost’ war, says UK defence chiefHologram Zelenskiy promises Ukraine will defeat ‘the empire’Scholz, Macron and Draghi vow support for Ukraine’s EU bid on Kyiv visitRussian spy caught trying to infiltrate war crimes court, says NetherlandsAt a glance: what we know on day 114 of the invasionAustralia’s new Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has said he will consider whether to accept President Volodymyr Zelenskyi’s invitation to visit Ukraine during an upcoming European trip.Albanese said he only became aware of the invitation to visit Ukraine when he read a newspaper report.I’ll take appropriate advice, and obviously there are security issues as well in terms of such a visit.I appreciate the spirit in which it’s been offered and one of the reasons why Australia has been invited to Nato is that Australia is the largest non-Nato contributor to give support to Ukraine in its defence of its national sovereignty against Russia’s illegal, immoral invasion. And we’ll continue to stand with the people of Ukraine.” Continue reading...
< World news, Ukraine, Russia, Europe, Volodymyr Zelenskiy, European Union >
- Breitbart News 12:26June 16, 2022Fresh Demand for U.S. and E.U. to Transfer Wealth Through 'Climate Reparations'A call for a host of taxes on the U.S. and European nations designed to transfer wealth to economies confronting “the cost of drought, floods and superstorms made worse by rising temperatures” was renewed Wednesday at a U.N. climate conference in Germany.
< Environment, London / Europe, Politics, Climate Change, European Union, reparations >
- The Guardian(UK) 02:01June 16, 2022UK food price rises could hit 15% over summer, report saysUkraine war, China lockdowns and Brexit help push up inflation, with products that rely on wheat worst hitFood price rises in the UK could hit 15% this summer – the highest level in more than 20 years – with inflation lasting into the middle of next year, according to a report.Meat, cereals, dairy, fruit and vegetables are likely to be the worst affected as the war in Ukraine combines with production lockdowns in China and export bans on key food stuffs such as palm oil from Indonesia and wheat from India, the grocery trade body IGD warns. Continue reading...
< Inflation, Food & drink industry, Cost of living crisis, Business, UK news, Economics, Brexit, Supermarkets, Retail industry, Family finances, Household bills, Food poverty, Money, Society, Poverty, Social exclusion, Consumer affairs, European Union, Europe, Foreign policy, Politics, World news, Coronavirus >
- New York Times 23:14June 15, 2022With Northern Ireland and Migrants, Johnson Swings Cudgel of Survival PoliticsCritics say the British leader’s hardened stances on Northern Ireland and immigration are cynical pandering to the pro-Brexit Tories he needs to stay in power.
< Asylum, Right of, Great Britain Withdrawal from EU (Brexit), Conservative Party (Great Britain), Labour Party (Great Britain), European Union, Johnson, Boris, Patel, Priti (1972- ), Geidt, Christopher, Europe, Northern Ireland, Rwanda >
- Business Insider 15:26June 15, 2022At least 30 private jets and helicopters owned by Russian oligarchs have crossed EU airspace since the war started despite being banned, research showsA Russian-owned Airbus helicopter and a private jet had both flown eight times through EU airspace since the ban, Welt am Sonntag's research showed.
< Transportation, News, Russia, Ukraine, Jets, Helicopters, Oligarchs, Billionaire, Wealth, EU, airspace, transport, Transportation, European Union, plane, Airplane >
- The Guardian(UK) 12:35June 15, 2022EU resumes legal action against UK for not complying with Northern Ireland protocol – liveMaroš Šefčovič, European Commission vice-president, says EU is also initiating two more infringement processesThis is what Šefčovič said about the UK bill in his opening statement.Let there be no doubt: there is no legal nor political justification whatsoever for unilaterally changing an international agreement.Opening the door to unilaterally changing an international agreement is a breach of international law as well. Continue reading...
< Politics, UK news, Boris Johnson, Keir Starmer, PMQs, Immigration and asylum, Rwanda, Brexit, Northern Ireland, European Union >
- The Guardian(UK) 11:57June 15, 2022Brexit: EU plans ‘carrot and stick’ approach to UK’s Northern Ireland moveBloc to take legal action as Maroš Šefčovič offers UK chance to climb down from plans to rewrite protocolThe EU will take a “carrot and stick” approach to Boris Johnson’s plan to unilaterally rewrite the post-Brexit arrangements for Northern Ireland, by taking legal action against the UK while offering fresh grounds for negotiation.Maroš Šefčovič, the EU’s Brexit commissioner, will on Wednesday signal the widespread fury among member states, and in Dublin in particular, at the approach of the prime minister to Northern Ireland after the tabling of new legislation on Monday. Continue reading...
< Brexit, European Union, Boris Johnson, UK news, Politics, Northern Ireland >
- Huffington Post UK 10:53June 14, 2022EU Has 'Absolutely No Reason' To Be Annoyed By Our Protocol Plans, Liz Truss Says
< Politics, European Union, Northern Ireland, Northern Ireland Protocol, Elizabeth Truss, politics, european-union, northern-ireland, northern-ireland-protocol, elizabeth-truss >
- New York Times 01:42June 14, 2022On Russia, Europe Weighs Competing Goals: Peace and PunishmentArming Ukraine is not turning the tide. Is the answer vastly more weapons, as Ukraine says, or a bitter truce?
< Russian Invasion of Ukraine (2022), North Atlantic Treaty Organization, European Union, Putin, Vladimir V, Zelensky, Volodymyr, Macron, Emmanuel (1977- ), Draghi, Mario, Scholz, Olaf (1958- ), Ukraine, Donbas (Ukraine) >
- The Guardian(UK) 19:57June 13, 2022UK risks EU trade war as Northern Ireland protocol bill is publishedLiz Truss says bill will ‘fix’ post-Brexit trade problems but legal experts and some Tory MPs say move is illegal under international lawIs NI protocol bill just ‘relatively trivial set of adjustments’?Follow the day’s politics news – as it happensLiz Truss risked a trade war with the EU and accusations of lawbreaking as she published legislation that would allow exports from Britain to Northern Ireland to follow either UK or EU standards and checks.Publishing the Northern Ireland protocol bill, Truss said the legislation would “fix” issues with the post-Brexit protocol by easing checks for firms selling goods from Britain destined for Northern Ireland rather than the EU. It would also scrap the European court of justice as the arbiter of trade disputes and move to an independent mechanism. Continue reading...
< Northern Ireland, Brexit, European Union, Liz Truss, UK news, Politics >
- The Guardian(UK) 18:11June 13, 2022Fury as government waters down post-Brexit food standardsStrategy described as ‘missed opportunity’ as final wording merely commits to ‘considering’ animal welfareAnimal welfare campaigners, food policy experts and farmers have reacted with fury after the government watered down post-Brexit trade deal standards in its food strategy, released on Monday.In a version of the strategy leaked to the Guardian on Friday, the government committed to making it easier for countries to import goods if they have high animal welfare standards. Continue reading...
< Brexit, Farming, Food, Food & drink industry, Politics, European Union, Environment, Europe, Foreign policy, UK news >
- New York Times 17:40June 13, 2022Britain Moves Ahead With Plans to Scrap Trade Rules on Northern IrelandThe move by the government of Prime Minister Boris Johnson to scuttle the post-Brexit trade arrangement risks a clash with the European Union and upsetting the United States.
< Politics and Government, Law and Legislation, Great Britain Withdrawal from EU (Brexit), Conservative Party (Great Britain), European Union, Johnson, Boris, Great Britain, Northern Ireland >
- The Guardian(UK) 10:40June 13, 2022Boris Johnson to be interviewed as No 10 prepares to publish Northern Ireland protocol bill – UK politics liveLatest updates: government faces deepening row with EU over Northern Ireland as PM also faces questions over UK’s shrinking economyUK economy shrinks as cost of living crisis bitesBoris Johnson has joined farm workers to pick courgettes on a vegetable farm in Cornwall as his new food strategy is launched, PA Media reports. PA says:The prime minister is being shown how to look under the leaves, select the ready courgettes, twist and turn the vegetables and place them in crates at the back of a tractor moving slowly across the field.“Beautiful shiny courgettes,” he exclaimed.The food and farming sector has been suffering from acute labour shortages due principally to Brexit and the covid-19 pandemic. In August 2021, the number of vacancies was estimated to be 500,000 out of 4.1 million roles in the sector. We found clear evidence that labour shortages have badly affected the food and farming industry - threatening food security, the welfare of animals and the mental health of those working in the sector. Businesses have been badly hit, with the pig sector being particularly affected. The food sector is the UK’s largest manufacturing sector but faces permanent shrinkage if a failure to address its acute labour shortages leads to wage rises, price increases, reduced competitiveness and, ultimately, food production being exported abroad and increased imports. Continue reading...
< Politics, UK news, Boris Johnson, Brexit, Northern Ireland, European Union, Ireland >
- The Guardian(UK) 02:01June 13, 2022CBI warns UK government over Northern Ireland protocolImpasse over Brexit deal forcing companies to reconsider investing in Britain, says business lobby groupThe UK’s foremost business lobby group has warned the government that its threat to override the Northern Ireland protocol is forcing companies to think again about investing in Britain and dragging down the economy.The Confederation of British Industry (CBI) said immediate talks with the EU, rather than political grandstanding, were needed to resolve the impasse over the protocol, which governs post-Brexit trade between the EU, Northern Ireland and Great Britain. Continue reading...
< Northern Ireland, Confederation of British Industry (CBI), Business, Brexit, Economic policy, European Union, Economics, Politics, UK news >
- The Guardian(UK) 12:22June 12, 2022Northern Ireland protocol bill won’t break international law, says ministerBrandon Lewis refuses to outline what legal advice has been sought on amending Brexit arrangementsA bill to unilaterally amend the Northern Ireland protocol will not breach international law, the Northern Ireland secretary has said, but he refused to outline what legal advice had been sought or whether the full legal position would be released.Brandon Lewis said the Northern Ireland protocol bill, which is being published on Monday, was based around “protecting the integrity” of the Good Friday peace agreement. He insisted that when people saw the legislation they would understand it did not breach international law. Continue reading...
< Northern Ireland, Brexit, UK news, Politics, Trade policy, European Union >
- The Guardian(UK) 10:00June 12, 2022Tory donors and polarised party losing faith in Johnson ‘cult’Hotelier Rocco Forte demands PM changes course as Commons battle looms over tensions with EUA big Tory donor has said he cannot support Boris Johnson, after accusing him of overseeing an un-Conservative government, delivering a “pathetic” tax-cutting pledge and refusing to heed calls to change the course of his premiership.With the prime minister facing a split over Brexit within days and a mounting revolt among party backers after last week’s humiliating confidence vote, the hotelier Sir Rocco Forte said that he “will not put up” with the direction Johnson is taking the party. Continue reading...
< Boris Johnson, Conservatives, Politics, UK news, Brexit, Foreign policy, Europe, European Union, Northern Ireland, Party funding >
- The Guardian(UK) 19:15June 11, 2022Boris Johnson warned NI protocol ‘rule-breaking’ will repeat mistakes of PartygateTory tensions high over risk of illegality in imminent bill to improve trade between Northern Ireland and rest of UKBoris Johnson is being warned that he will repeat the mistakes of Partygate by backing “rule-breaking over the rule of law”, when he publishes plans on Monday that are expected to prompt a new Tory rebellion over Brexit.Frantic legal and political negotiations have been taking place this week among Johnson, his cabinet and MPs in advance of the government’s bill designed to improve trade between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK. The legislation will be published on Monday. Continue reading...
< Northern Ireland, Ireland, UK news, Boris Johnson, Brexit, European Union, Europe, Politics >
- The Guardian(UK) 18:55June 11, 2022EU will likely grant Ukraine candidate status to join bloc, says Ursula von der LeyenVolodymyr Zelenskiy has been pushing for rapid admission, and says the decision will determine the future of EuropeRussia-Ukraine war: latest updatesThe EU executive will next week make a recommendation on whether Ukraine should be given candidate status to join the bloc, the European Commission president, Ursula von der Leyen, has said.Such a recommendation would be a preliminary step on a long road to full membership, and Ukraine would need the backing of all 27 EU governments before candidate status was given. The Ukrainian president, Volodymyr Zelenskiy, has been pushing for rapid admission into the EU to provide the country with more security since the Russian invasion. Continue reading...
< Ukraine, Europe, World news, Volodymyr Zelenskiy, Ursula von der Leyen, European Union >
- New York Times 00:45June 11, 2022Shortage of Artillery Ammo Saps Ukrainian Frontline MoraleShells for Soviet-era weapons are running short, and powerful Western weapons are not arriving fast enough to make up the difference, giving Russia a big advantage in artillery.
< Russian Invasion of Ukraine (2022), Defense and Military Forces, Shortages, North Atlantic Treaty Organization, Donbas (Ukraine), Russia, European Union, Ukraine >
- The Guardian(UK) 15:00June 10, 2022Brexit row could prompt exodus of senior scientists from UKAt least 16 recipients of prestigious ERC grants making plans to reject UK offer and move their labs abroadThe UK is facing an exodus of star scientists with at least 16 recipients of prestigious European grants making plans to move their labs abroad as the UK remains frozen out of the EU’s flagship science programme.Britain’s participation in Horizon Europe has been caught in the crosshairs of the dispute over Brexit in Northern Ireland, meaning that 143 UK-based recipients of European Research Council fellowships this week faced a deadline of either relinquishing their grant or transferring it to an institute in an eligible country. Continue reading...
< Science policy, Science, Research funding, Research, Brexit, Politics, UK news, European Union >
- Breitbart News 12:29June 10, 2022Ban on New Fossil Fuel Cars by 2035 Approved by EU ParliamentLawmakers at the European Parliament approved a measure to support the ban on sales of petrol and diesel cars by the year 2035.
< Environment, London / Europe, Politics, cars, Climate Change, combustion engine, electric cars, Electric Vehicles, EU, EU Parliament, European People’s Party, European Union, fossil fuels, green agenda, plug-in hybrid >