- Business Insider 15:35December 4, 2021A veteran Taco Bell worker of 20 years says he quit because customers have gotten so 'unreasonable' and hard to deal withHe says customers have gotten more demanding and abusive since the pandemic started, forcing him to leave Taco Bell and the industry.
< Retail, News, Retail, Fast Food, QSR, Taco Bell, Chipotle, labor shortage, Service Industry >
- Business Insider 13:00December 4, 2021I went to Burger King for the first time in 19 years — I can see why it's losing out to McDonald'sBurger King is rolling out plant-based and gourmet burgers to lure in more customers, but I didn't think it was enough to compete with its old rival.
< Retail, Features, Burger King, Food, Fast Food, Burger King UK, McDonald's, Weekend BI UK >
- Business Insider 00:23December 3, 2021Burger King will sell Whoppers at a throwback price of 37 cents this weekendBurger King's Whoppers now cost around $6 or more, depending on the location.
< Retail, News, Retail, Fast Food, QSR, Burger King, Whopper >
- Business Insider 21:17December 2, 2021A&W made its employees 'anti-celeb meals' to attract new workers as fast-food continues to struggle with hiringA&W is using real employees to poke fun at celebrity meal promotions and recruit new hires.
< Retail, Retail, Fast Food, QSR, A&W, hiring campaign, labor shortage >
- Business Insider 18:30December 1, 2021I'm a refugee who came to the US and started a business with $20,000. 12 years later, it's going strong."It was hard at first," Tulsa restaurant owner Paul Her told Insider. "I thought: 'As long as we make a little money to survive, we can make it.'"
< Retail, Careers, Food, Oklahoma, Refugee, retai, Fast Food, BI-freelancer, contributor 2019, Contributor 2021, Business News Contributor >
- Business Insider 19:01November 24, 2021A Tim Hortons employee threw hot coffee at a customer who swore at her, a lawsuit saysThe customer is seeking in excess of $25,000 in damages following the incident in Southgate, Michigan.
< Retail, News, Tim Horton's, Retail, Hospitality, Fast Food, hospitality workers, Fast food worker >
- Business Insider 22:49November 22, 2021A Chipotle general manager and 4 of his employees quit after a surge of to-go orders drove them to their breaking points"We struggled just to keep our heads above water," former Chipotle general manager Peter Guerra told Insider.
< Retail, News, Retail, Chipotle, Fast Food, Fast Casual, Labor, labor shortage, Austin >
- Business Insider 15:33November 21, 2021I ate Wendy's breakfast as the chain pumps $25 million into promoting it, and saw how it's just as good as McDonald'sI found that Wendy's is a solid competitor to McDonald's breakfast, with the chicken biscuit as a standout.
< Retail, News, Features, Retail, Fast Food, Business Visual Features, drive thru, Wendy's, Breakfast, Fast Food Breakfast >
- Business Insider 14:00November 21, 2021Starbucks baristas say in-app glitches allow customers to order food and drinks that are actually out of stockStarbucks baristas said that they couldn't tell customers that the ingredients were out of stock until they came in store to collect their drinks.
< Retail, News, Starbucks, Starbucks baristas, Starbucks Mobile Order and Pay, Starbucks drinks, mobile order, Food, Fast Food, Coffee, Weekend BI UK >
- Business Insider 13:37November 21, 2021Subway co-founder Peter Buck, who turned his $1,000 investment into a multibillion-dollar franchise, dies age 90Billionaire Peter Buck, the last surviving co-founder of Subway, died on Thursday. He started the sandwich franchise with Fred DeLuca in 1965.
< Retail, News, Subway, Business Leaders, Franchise, Fast Food, Billionaire, Weekend BI UK, Retail >
- Business Insider 17:52November 20, 2021These are the 25 companies where workers went on strike during a season of labor unrest and worker activismDuring a season marked by labor unrest and workers flexing their power, here's why tens of thousands of people at 25 companies went on strike.
< Economy, Careers, Retail, Tech Insider, Strike, labor shortage, Striketober, Retail, Tech, Fast Food, John Deere, Chipotle, GE, McDonald's, Workers, Labor Dispute, Workplace Activism, Kaiser Permanente, Nabisco, gopuff, Activision Blizzard, great resignation, Economy, weekend BI US >
- Business Insider 17:39November 20, 2021There's virtually no difference between fast-food restaurants like McDonald's and fast-casual restaurants like Chipotle anymoreDistinctions between the two types of restaurants are disappearing as fast food gets slower and more expensive, and fast-casual speeds up and adds drive-thrus.
< Retail, Retail, Fast Food, Fast Casual, Chipotle, drive thru, qdoba, panera, McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's, Chick-fil-A, analysis >
- Business Insider 13:30November 20, 2021Burger King brawl involving a group of students leads to arrest of two minors, Texas police sayA fight broke out among students on Friday at a Burger King in Odessa, Texas. The school district superintendent was said he was "appalled."
< Retail, News, UK Weekend News, Burger King, fight, Brawl, Retail, Fast Food >
- Business Insider 16:59November 19, 2021Fast-food chains are increasingly collaborating with celebrities and it's a brilliant way to borrow star power without the risksChains seem isolated from any backlash associated with celebrity partners while still reaping all the benefits.
< Retail, Retail, Fast Food, McDonald's, Burger King, Popeyes, Dunkin, Starbucks, Travis Scott, Charli D'Amelio, Megan Thee Stallion, Taylor Swift, TikTok, Celebrities, analysis >
- Business Insider 15:47November 19, 2021Starbucks and Amazon are opening a store together, but you'll need to have both companies' app to use it fully — see insideThe store will use Amazon Go payment technology and Starbucks' app for the coffee shop and convenience store.
< Retail, Tech Insider, News, Features, Retail, Fast Food, Starbucks, Business Visual Features, Tech, Amazon, Amazon Go >
- Business Insider 21:42November 17, 2021How to get a limited-edition, reusable Starbucks holiday cup for free this ThursdayYou can get a reusable, red Starbucks holiday cup for free when you order a holiday or fall drink, like the sugar cookie latte or peppermint mocha.
< Retail, News, Starbucks, Coffee, Fast Food, Christmas, Holiday, Holiday Season, Starbucks holiday, Red Cups, Holiday Cups, Holiday Drinks, Food & Beverages, Latte >
- Business Insider 16:40November 17, 2021McDonald's is selling its iconic Egg McMuffin for 63 cents as it pushes its breakfast menu with the return to workThe fast-food giant is charging the same price as when the sandwich was first introduced to menus in 1971.
< Retail, News, McDonald's, fast-food chains, Fast Food, Breakfast Menu, Egg McMuffin, Promotions, BI Photography >
- Business Insider 22:36November 16, 2021THEN AND NOW: How fast-food menus have changed over timeThe menus at McDonald's, Burger King, Chick-fil-A, In-N-Out, White Castle, Taco Bell, and Popeyes once looked totally different.
< Retail, Features, Fast Food, Fast food items, Menu items, McDonald's, Popeyes, Burger King, White Castle, Taco Bell, Chick-fil-A >
- Business Insider 16:30November 16, 2021Papa John's is revamping its restaurants and branding as it enters a new era — here's what they will look likeNew restaurants will have an open concept and more ways for customers to pick up to-go orders, with a warming shelf and drive-thru pickup area.
< Retail, Features, Retail, Fast Food, drive thru, Pizza, Pizza chain, Papa John's, Business Visual Features >
- Business Insider 20:25November 15, 2021McDonald's released a tear-jerking Christmas commercial that's making adults cry over an imaginary friend and carrot sticksMcDonald's released a tearjerking Christmas commercial that's making adults on Twitter cry over carrot sticks and an imaginary friend.
< Retail, Advertising, News, McDonald's, Christmas, Holiday, Advertisement, Commercial, UK, TV, Advertising, Fast Food, restaurant, Food & Beverages, Food >
- Business Insider 17:36November 13, 2021Fast food celebrity partnerships are a smart way for chains to borrow star power without the risksChains seem isolated from any backlash associated with celebrity partners while still reaping all the benefits.
< Retail, Retail, Fast Food, McDonald's, Burger King, Popeyes, Dunkin, Starbucks, Travis Scott, Charli D'Amelio, Megan Thee Stallion, Taylor Swift, TikTok, Celebrities, analysis >
- Business Insider 01:09November 13, 2021Former McDonald's executives slam the CEO as 'racist' after his remarks surface on the shooting deaths of two Black childrenA Black franchisee and ex-executives say that the comments are part of a bigger problem within the company.
< Retail, Retail, McDonald's, Fast Food, Chris Kempczinski, Racism, Discrimination >
- Business Insider 16:28November 12, 2021A Florida restaurant chain says boosting pay and offering better benefits helped it end its labor shortagePollo Tropical is raising prices by between 4% and 6% in December fund its higher wages, sign-on bonuses, and improved benefits.
< Retail, Economy, News, labor shortage, restaurant, Food, Fast Food, Florida, Employment, Wages, Work, Unemployment, Miami >
- Business Insider 15:38November 12, 2021Fast food prices keep going up at a record pace and there's no end in sightKrispy Kreme, Wendy's, and other chains shared news about rising prices in earnings calls.
< Retail, News, Retail, Fast Food, Krispy Kreme, McDonald's, Wendy's, Taco Bell, BLS, Inflation >
- Business Insider 14:31November 12, 2021Wendy's closed some dining rooms because of the labor shortage, which it said is putting pressure on its drive-thrusWendy's CEO Todd Penegor said the company had more dining rooms closed during Q3 than Q2. "That does put pressure on our digital business."
< Retail, Economy, News, Wendy's, drive thru, Fast Food, Food, labor shortage, Jobs, Work, Employment, Unemployment, Hiring >
- Business Insider 20:14November 11, 2021I love working at Hooters, but hearing about our viral new 'underwear' uniforms almost made me quit"I don't know of one coworker who was in favor of the shorts," the Hooters employee told Insider. "The current uniform can be uncomfortable as is."
< Retail, News, Retail, Restaurants, restaurant, restaurant chain, restaurant chains, Hooters, Uniforms, Fast Food, BI-freelancer, contributor 2019, Contributor 2021, Business News Contributor, Essay, Essays, Personal Essays, Personal Essay >
- Business Insider 18:46November 11, 2021Subway again denies its tuna is altered as it faces another lawsuit with accusations it's not really fishPlaintiffs say that tests revealed pork, beef, and chicken in the tuna samples, but no traces of actual tuna DNA.
< Retail, Retail, Fast Food, Fast Casual, Subway, Tuna, lawsuit >
- Business Insider 17:45November 11, 2021I'm a regular at NYC's best-kept secret - a piano bar where strangers are friends and musicians know my nameBrandy's Piano Bar has been a New York City staple for decades. Its staff helped it survive the pandemic with a GoFundMe and performances in the snow.
< Small Business, Retail, Small Business, COVID-19, Broadway, Food, Life, Fast Food, Bars, original contributor, contributor 2019, Contributor 2021, Business News Contributor >
- Business Insider 23:32November 10, 2021Some workers say Starbucks is gearing up for a Taylor Swift collaboration as the fast-food industry continues to tap star powerStarbucks has not confirmed a collaboration with Taylor Swift, but the chain's recent tweets have fans speculating.
< Retail, News, Retail, Fast Food, Starbucks, Taylor Swift, Celebrity >
- Business Insider 18:00November 10, 2021McDonald's is launching a holiday Famous Order with Mariah CareyMariah Carey is the latest celebrity to team up with McDonald's, following Travis Scott, BTS, and Saweetie.
< Retail, Retail, Fast Food, McDonald's, Mariah Carey, Celebrity, Christmas >
- Business Insider 20:04November 9, 2021The Starbucks mobile app went down for some customers on Tuesday morningDigital orders have become more important than ever for Starbucks since they exploded during the pandemic.
< Retail, News, Retail, Fast Food, Starbucks, mobile order, Coffee >
- Business Insider 17:56November 9, 2021The holiday menu items you can buy right now at fast-food chains, from sugar cookie lattes to Thanksgiving-themed donutsFrom the Starbucks' sugar cookie almond milk latte to Popeyes' Cajun Style Turkey, fast food chains are unveiling their new holiday menu items.
< Retail, News, Holiday, Christmas, Thanksgiving, Food, Food & Beverages, Fast Food, Starbucks, Krispy Kreme, Dunkin' Donuts, Holidays, Retail, restaurant, restaurant chain, Menu, Menu items, Popeyes, IHOP, Shake Shack, Panera Bread, Coffee >
- Business Insider 16:50November 7, 2021See the biggest and most ambitious drive-thru concepts from Taco Bell, Burger King, and KFCDrive-thrus became more important than ever in 2020 as dining rooms closed, and now chains are betting they'll continue to grow.
< Retail, Features, Business Visual Features, Fast Food, Fast Casual, drive thru, Burger King, Taco Bell, KFC, Shake Shack, Sweetgreen, Panera Bread, Yum, RBI, KFC 11 >
- Business Insider 15:11November 6, 2021To-go orders are ruining restaurant workers' livesSome workers say they can't keep up normal service standards with multiple orders coming in each minute.
< Retail, Retail, Fast Food, Restaurants, Fast Casual, Starbucks, Chipotle, drive thru, mobile order, Cheesecake Factory, labor shortage >
- Business Insider 19:45November 5, 2021Popeyes branch in Washington, DC shut down permanently after a TikTok video appeared to show its kitchen infested with ratsA TikTok video featured rats running around what appeared to be a Popeyes kitchen. It was posted by a man claiming to be a courier for the chain.
< Retail, News, Weekend BI UK, Popeyes, Popeyes chicken, Fast Food, Retail, Fast Food Industry, Rats, health and safety, IBM-block >
- Business Insider 20:18November 4, 2021A Black McDonald's ex-manager says she was fired after reporting racial discrimination"McDonald's can't just say 'Black Lives Matter' - it needs to prove it," Shanece Tailo, a former employee who filed an EEOC complaint, told Insider.
< Retail, Retail, Fast Food, McDonald's, Discrimination, EEOC, Racism >
- Business Insider 17:53November 3, 2021A Kentucky Chipotle temporarily closed after staff and managers walked outChipotle says the restaurant closed temporarily Monday afternoon due to "staffing needs," but is back open now.
< Retail, Fast Food, Fast Casual, Chipotle, labor shortage >
- Business Insider 01:31November 3, 2021Critics slam McDonald's CEO's text message about the shooting deaths of 2 children as 'ignorant, racist, and unacceptable'In response, Chris Kempczinski said his message, which was sent to Mayor Lightfoot, "lacked the empathy and compassion I feel for these families."
< Retail, Retail, Fast Food, McDonald's, Chris Kempczinski, gun violence, Chicago, Lori Lightfoot >
- Business Insider 12:00November 2, 2021White Castle's burger-flipping robot, Flippy, is getting an upgrade. See how it works.The original Flippy has worked at a Chicago White Castle since summer 2020, and now Flippy 2 is taking over.
< Retail, Features, Retail, Fast Food, QSR, White Castle, automation, AI, labor shortage, Business Visual Features >
- Business Insider 23:17November 1, 2021Chipotle customers and workers say the Halloween 'Boorito' promotion crashed the app and led to a walkoutChipotle acknowledged "intermittent issues" with its app but otherwise did not mention any problems with the promotion.
< Retail, Retail, Chipotle, Fast Food, Fast Casual, Halloween, labor shortage >
- Business Insider 14:28November 1, 2021Chipotle workers say they're overwhelmed by surging demand for online orders, which has led to delays and angry customers, according to a reportSome Chipotle workers said the demand for online orders was so high, they had to shut their dining rooms early.
< Retail, News, Retail, Fast Food, Chipotle, Workers >
- Business Insider 17:54October 31, 2021I went to Subway for the first time and I struggled to see why its sales are plummetingSubway's sales are slumping, but I was pleasantly surprised by my first visit to the sandwich chain.
< Retail, Life, Features, Subway, Food, Fast Food, Weekend BI UK, Sandwiches, review >
- Business Insider 16:05October 31, 2021Popeyes branch in Washington DC, shut down after a TikTok video appeared to show its kitchen infested with ratsA TikTok video featured rats running around what appeared to be a Popeyes kitchen. It was posted by a man claiming to be a courier for the chain.
< Retail, News, Weekend BI UK, Popeyes, Popeyes chicken, Fast Food, Retail, Fast Food Industry, Rats, health and safety >
- Business Insider 18:50October 30, 2021A California couple celebrates their wedding at 'the coolest Taco Bell in the world' as the fast-food wedding trend growsThe high school sweethearts held their wedding reception at Taco Bell Cantina Pacifica, a location popular for its breathtaking seaside views.
< Retail, News, nuptials, Weddings, Fast Food, Taco Bell, Party Planning, weekend BI US >
- Business Insider 12:04October 30, 20213 small fast-casual chains break down why they're building more restaurants instead of ghost kitchens, despite takeout booming during the pandemicIsland Fin Poké, Rush Bowls, and Black Sheep Coffee all plans on opening dozens more restaurants. They told Insider about their expansion plans.
< Retail, Fast-casual food, Ghost Kitchens, Restaurants, Restaurant Industry, Food, Fast Food, Weekend BI UK >
- Business Insider 22:57October 29, 2021Chipotle has made its popular $5 'Boorito' promotion online only this year, but workers say they're scared it could still be a disasterFor Chipotle, Halloween is something like the chain's Black Friday, and workers are scared of the influx of orders could result in shortages and chaos.
< Retail, News, Retail, Chipotle, Fast Casual, Fast Food, Halloween, BOGO >
- Business Insider 19:27October 29, 2021Starbucks just got closer to having its first unionized store in the USWorkers in the three Buffalo, New York-area Starbucks stores will vote by mail, with results counted by the NLRB on December 9.
< Retail, News, Retail, Starbucks, Union, Labor, Fast Food >
- Business Insider 15:02October 29, 2021I tried Taco Bell's new two-lane Mobile Go drive-thru, and I think it's how every fast food restaurant should workDouble lanes and designated delivery and pickup parking spots kept things moving, despite a busy night.
< Retail, News, Features, Retail, Taco Bell, Yum Brands, drive thru, Fast Food, Business Visual Features >
- Business Insider 21:16October 28, 2021A new tech company says monitoring fast-food workers with AI will make orders more accurateThe company's plan is to install cameras to monitor fast-food workers in the kitchen and alert them to mistakes while making orders.
< Retail, Tech Insider, Retail, Fast Food, AI, Tech, computer vision, drive thru, labor shortage >
- Business Insider 18:46October 26, 20213 new lawsuits from McDonald's workers accuse the company of a 'pattern of sexual harassment' and retaliationThe new lawsuits filed with the EEOC by McDonald's employees allege that they were retaliated against after reporting sexual harassment.
< Retail, News, Retail, Fast Food, McDonald's, Sexual Harassment >