- New York Times 05:40December 20, 2021Peng Shuai, Chinese Tennis Player, Denies Sexual Assault ClaimPeng Shuai said in an interview with a Singaporean newspaper that she had been misunderstood. She also said, “I’ve been very free all along.”
< China, Peng Shuai, Zhang Gaoli, Sex Crimes, Tennis, Politics and Government >
- Breaking Defense 23:30December 6, 2021Key radar for identifying ICBM threats begins initial fielding: MDAThe milestone follows a series of 2020 setbacks due largely to the coronavirus pandemic.
< Networks / Cyber, Pentagon, Space, Clear Space Force Station, GAO, lockheed martin, Long-Range Discrimination Radar, Lt. Gen. A.C. Roper, Lt. Gen. David Krumm, missile defense agency, Vice Adm. Jon Hill >
- New York Times 05:22December 1, 2021China’s Silence on Peng Shuai Shows Limits of Beijing’s PropagandaOfficials have struggled to respond to a sexual assault allegation that hits at the heights of its buttoned-up political system.
< Censorship, Social Media, Sexual Harassment, #MeToo Movement, Politics and Government, Communist Party of China, Weibo Corporation, Peng Shuai, Zhang Gaoli, Xi Jinping, Zhao Lijian, China >
- New York Times 13:40November 22, 2021How Peng Shuai Went From ‘Chinese Princess’ to Silenced #MeToo AccuserThe tennis star won independence while remaining in Beijing’s good graces. But she has been unable to break through China’s resistance to sexual assault allegations.
< Peng Shuai, #MeToo Movement, China, Zhang Gaoli, Sexual Harassment, Propaganda, Tennis, Olympic Games (2022) >
- New York Times 04:29November 21, 2021Peng Shuai Said to Be in Videos From China's State MediaThe editor of a state-run newspaper on Saturday shared two clips said to be of the Chinese tennis star on Twitter. But they are unverified, and the head of the WTA called them “insufficient.”
< Tennis, News and News Media, Women's Tennis Assn, Peng Shuai, Zhang Gaoli, China, United States International Relations, Athletics and Sports, Sex Crimes >
- New York Times 04:39November 18, 2021Women’s Tennis Challenges China’s Narrative Over Missing PlayerThe WTA Tour chairman cast doubt over a reassuring email that state media claimed had been sent by Peng Shuai, who had accused a former top party official of sexual assault.
< Peng Shuai, Simon, Steve (1955- ), Zhang Gaoli, China, Women's Tennis Assn, Politburo Standing Committee of the Communist Party of China, China Central Television, Politics and Government, Tennis, Sexual Harassment, #MeToo Movement, Censorship, Sex Crimes >
- New York Times 08:49November 3, 2021China's Peng Shuai Makes #MeToo Allegation Zhang GaoliPeng Shuai’s accusation against Zhang Gaoli takes the country’s budding #MeToo movement to the top echelons of the Communist Party for the first time.
< Zhang Gaoli, Peng Shuai, China, Tennis, Politics and Government, Sexual Harassment, #MeToo Movement, Ethics and Official Misconduct, Sex Crimes >
- Breaking Defense 15:16October 27, 2021These Key Programs Face Real Delays From Continuing ResolutionOnce again, the US government is in the midst of a Continuing Resolution — a temporary funding mechanism used when Congress needs to avoid a government shutdown when it fails to successfully pass a budget on time. While unquestionably better than a shutdown, CRs aren’t harmless. The problem, as AEI scholar and Breaking Defense Board…
< Congress, Pentagon, 2022 budget, B-21, Bath Iron Works, continuing resolution, GAO, industrial base, Mackenzie Eaglen, op-ed. op-eds. commentary >