- Business Insider 19:21December 4, 2021The co-founder of a San Francisco pizza chain says he received no applications for an assistant manager, despite raising the salary to $70,000The co-founder of Square Pie Guys told the WSJ he couldn't find an assistant manager, even after hiking the salary to $70,000.
< Retail, News, Weekend BI UK, restaurant, labor shortage, Labor crisis, Retail, San Francisco, managers >
- Business Insider 19:13December 4, 2021Panicked New York bagel shop owners are hoarding cream cheese and crossing state lines for supply as dairy companies struggle against supply chain crisisSeveral business owners told the New York Times they only have enough cream cheese to last a handful of days and are at a loss for alternatives.
< Retail, Retail, Supply Chain, supply chain crisis, weekend BI US, Transportation, New York City, Bagels, Restaurants >
- Business Insider 17:13December 4, 2021Sellers of American-made goods are thriving amid supply-chain chaos — but they can't escape labor and cost pressuresFour US manufacturers based in four different states told Insider about the upsides — and challenges — of making their products close to home.
< Retail, Manufacturing, US Manufacturing, supply chain crisis, Supply Chain, Vermont Flannel Company, Arrow + Phoenix, Sherrill Manufacturing, American Giant, Apparel, Flatware, Swimsuits >
- Business Insider 16:30December 4, 20214 reasons why lumber prices have doubled from summer lows — and why one expert sees them normalizing againDespite the recent spike, traders can expect lumber prices to normalize in the near term and settle around $500 to $600 per thousand board feet.
< Markets, MI Exclusive, Markets, Lumber, Lumber Crisis, lumber housing, Lumber futures, lumber industry, lumber outlook, lumber market, lumber price, lumber price bottom, lumber price forecast, lumber shortage, lumber rally, lumber stocks, lumber tariffs, bc floods, Inflation, wood industry >
- Business Insider 14:00December 4, 2021China's birth rate has hit a record low. That could shake the world economy.The most populous country in the world could actually run out of workers soon. That means a lot more than just an end to rapid growth in China.
< Economy, Markets, MI Exclusive, Chinese Economy, China demographics, Demographic crisis, Global Economy, Inflation, Economic Slowdown, Economy >
- Modern Tokyo Times 08:04December 4, 2021Burkina Faso and Islamists are heaping sorrow on 1.3 million internally displacedBurkina Faso and Islamists are heaping sorrow on 1.3 million internally displaced Kanako Mita and Lee Jay Walker Modern Tokyo Times Sunni Islamist terrorist attacks in Burkina Faso are never-ending. Thus even refugee camps aren’t places of safety. Therefore, terrorist groups including al-Qaida, ISIS (Islamic State – IS), and common criminality are utilizing this chaos […]
The post Burkina Faso and Islamists are heaping sorrow on 1.3 million internally displaced first appeared on Modern Tokyo Times.
< Africa, Geopolitics, Terrorism, Burkina Faso and Islamic jihad, Burkina Faso news, Crisis in Burkina Faso, Internally displaced in Burkina Faso, IS killers, ISIS killers, Islamic jihad in Burkina Faso, Islamist killers, Islamists abuse women, Japan news agency, Modern Tokyo News, Modern Tokyo Times, Sahel news, Takfiri killers, Terrorism in Burkina Faso, Tokyo news, Tokyo news agency >
- Business Insider 10:34December 3, 2021The world's largest shipping company said it's giving away $80 million in bonuses to employees as it sets to make record profits this yearMaersk posted its most profitable quarter in its 117-year history last month as the global shipping crisis led to record container freight rates.
< Transportation, Maersk, Employee bonuses, Shipping, Containers, Shipping Crisis >
- Business Insider 08:56December 3, 2021Some sailors are getting vaccinated multiple times in an attempt to comply with the different COVID-19 regulations at ports around the worldThe situation has arisen as some vaccines — such as Russia's Sputnik V — are still being assessed by the WHO and are not on its approved list.
< Transportation, Shipping Crisis, supply chain crisis, Omicron, COVID-19 pandemic, Vaccinations >
- Business Insider 22:13December 2, 2021The supply chain crisis is wreaking havoc on the environment as carbon emissions from ships and seaports reach the highest rate since 2008Emissions at the heavily backlogged ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach are up by double and two-thirds, respectively, according to a recent report.
< Retail, Transportation, News, Supply Chain, Climate Change, Retail, Transportation, Greenhouse Gas, Carbon Emissions, Sustainability, supply chain crisis >
- Business Insider 20:50December 2, 2021Abandoned shipping containers at ports can hold mystery prizes for opportunistic buyers, just like 'Storage Wars'One buyer compared it to "Storage Wars," telling Bloomberg he'd unearthed anything from electric scooters to breast implants and pumpkin seeds.
< Transportation, Retail, News, Boats, Shipping Crisis, Supply Chain, supply chain crisis, Cargo Ships, Retail, Price hike, Storage Wars, Shortages, Shipping containers, Container ship >
- Business Insider 17:35December 2, 2021Empty containers at Southern California ports can reportedly be seen 'strewn throughout the region' from 80 miles away"Half of my shift is just trying to make sense of all the containers," a clerk at the Port of Los Angeles told Insider.
< Transportation, Economy, News, Boats, Shipping containers, Shipping Crisis, Supply Chain, supply chain crisis, Shortages, price hikes, port congestion >
- New York Times 16:08December 2, 2021Pope Francis Heads to CyprusEven as the world focuses on a new coronavirus variant, Francis is embarking on a trip that incorporates longstanding priorities like opening borders and welcoming the destitute.
< Politics and Government, Defense and Military Forces, Middle East and Africa Migrant Crisis, Immigration and Emigration, Nationalism (Theory and Philosophy), Roman Catholic Church, Benedict XVI, Francis, Cyprus >
- New York Times 13:00December 2, 2021As French Election Looms, Candidates Stake Out Tough Positions on MigrantsFrance has fewer immigrants than other rich nations. But politicians are hardening their positions against immigration even as other countries compete for migrant workers.
< Immigration and Emigration, Politics and Government, Elections, Middle East and Africa Migrant Crisis, Macron, Emmanuel (1977- ), Zemmour, Eric, France >
- The Guardian 10:41December 2, 2021UK must ‘walk the talk’ on climate action, say official advisersAs Cop26 president, UK must act on meat, fossil fuels and overseas aid, says Climate Change CommitteeThe UK must “walk the talk” on climate action over the next 12 months, which is critical in tackling the climate emergency, according to an assessment of the Cop26 summit by the Climate Change Committee.The UK has one of the most ambitious 2030 emissions targets in the world, according to the government’s official advisers, but it does not have all the policies in place to deliver it. Continue reading...
< Climate crisis, Cop26, Environment, Fossil fuels, Meat industry, Energy, Farming, Food, Global development, Green politics, Greenhouse gas emissions >
- The Guardian(UK) 09:00December 2, 2021Farmers in England to be paid for looking after soil health from next yearEnvironmental groups say scheme falls far short of farming reforms promised after BrexitFarmers will be paid for looking after England’s soils for the first time from next year, when the first stage of the government’s new support payments begins.Environmental groups criticised the measures as puny and accused ministers of failing in their promises to use the UK’s departure from the EU to strengthen environmental protections and reduce the damaging impacts of farming. Continue reading...
< Farming, Soil, Environment, England, Conservation, Brexit, Climate crisis, Wildlife, UK news >
- The Guardian(UK) 02:01December 2, 2021Poverty, not climate breakdown, caused Madagascar’s food crisis, finds studyBut scientists say ‘moral imperative’ remains to prepare vulnerable populations for increasingly extreme weatherPoverty and a heavy reliance on annual rains are the key factors behind the devastating food crisis in southern Madagascar not climate breakdown, a new study finds.A million people in the region are struggling for food following the worst drought in 30 years. But the scientific analysis did not show a convincing link to global heating, despite the World Food Programme describing it as the “world’s first climate-induced famine”. Continue reading...
< Climate crisis, Madagascar, Drought, Flooding, Famine, Agriculture, Meteorology, United Nations, Global development, Climate science, Water, Environment, Africa, World news >
- Business Insider 21:34December 1, 2021We decoded the global shipping crisis and supply chain backlog that's causing the 'everything shortage'Nearly 100 ships are waiting to dock in California. Almost half a million containers are stuck, delaying the delivery of goods across the US.
< News, Transportation, Video, video format decoded, Shipping containers, Shipping Crisis, Supply Chain, Holiday Shopping, Christmas, warehouses, Trucks >
- Business Insider 20:39December 1, 2021Millennials are blaming boomers for the starter home shortage, survey findsOlder generations "have hoarded wealth and restricted my generation's access to similar economic opportunities," a survey respondent says.
< Economy, Markets, Real Estate, Millennials, Economy, Baby Boomers, Housing Affordability, Buying a house, Housing Crisis, Housing Shortage, Starter Homes, Housing Market >
- Business Insider 20:35December 1, 2021The government's response to making homeownership more attainable is buying $1 million mortgagesFannie Mae and Freddie Mac are required by law to pay $1 million per home in some areas. Like everyone in this housing market, Uncle Sam is paying up.
< Real Estate, Economy, Markets, Housing Market, Home Prices, Federal Housing Finance Agency, FHFA, Freddie Mac, Fannie Mae, Mortgage Loans, us housing market, US Housing Crisis, Economy >
- New York Times 20:22December 1, 2021New E.U. Measures Set to Restrict Asylum Rights at the Belarus BorderPoland, Latvia and Lithuania could take up to four months to process asylum requests at the border, which experts and humanitarian organizations said would only worsen their fate as winter sets in.
< Belarus-Poland Border Crisis (2021- ), Asylum, Right of, Human Rights and Human Rights Violations, Europe, Belarus >
- The Guardian(UK) 18:29December 1, 2021Storm Arwen: ‘UK must prepare for more extreme weather’Business secretary Kwasi Kwarteng says climate crisis likely to cause future extreme weather eventsStorm Arwen was “an event the likes of which we haven’t seen for 60 years” and the UK needs to be prepared for more extreme weather due to the climate crisis, according to the business secretary, as more than 30,000 homes remain without power.Kwasi Kwarteng said the majority of those people will have power restored “in the next day or two”, although he conceded that some in remote locations may have to wait much longer. Continue reading...
< UK weather, UK news, Extreme weather, North of England, Climate crisis, Scotland, Wales, Environment >
- Business Insider 17:19December 1, 2021Port of Vancouver faces a backlog of over 50 ships as trucker union plans to strikeCanada's largest port has been struggling to process cargo in recent weeks as British Columbia is ravaged by floods.
< Transportation, Economy, News, Shipping Crisis, Canada, British Columbia, Supply Chain, supply chain crisis, Trucking, Trucker Shortage, price hikes, Shortages, Strike Action, Teamsters, port congestion, Boats >
- New York Times 14:55December 1, 2021E.U. Interpreter Says Greece Expelled Him to Turkey in Migrant RoundupThe man’s story echoes complaints from human-rights groups that Greek authorities often expel asylum seekers indiscriminately and violently.
< Middle East and Africa Migrant Crisis, Immigration and Emigration, Politics and Government, Asylum, Right of, Human Rights and Human Rights Violations, European Union, Frontex >
- Business Insider 22:22November 30, 2021Biden said 'the worst that can happen has happened' after devastating ISIS-K suicide bombing during Afghanistan evacuationDays after the ISIS-K attack, which killed 13 US troops and 170 Afghans, Biden said the Afghanistan pullout was an "extraordinary success."
< Politics, Military & Defense, News, Joe Biden, Afghanistan, ISIS-K >
- Business Insider 21:59November 30, 2021CEOs from Walmart and other major retailers just told Biden the supply-chain crisis is getting better. His antitrust watchdog doesn't believe them.Biden planned a briefing on his Monday supply-chain summit with CEOs, but he canceled those remarks. The FTC hit them with information orders instead.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Policy, Economy, Politics, Supply Chain, supply chain crisis, FTC, Biden, Christmas, Walmart, Omicron >
- Business Insider 21:44November 30, 2021Walmart turned an empty lot into a pop-up container yard as retailers scramble to combat the supply-chain crisis"This popup operation has dramatically improved our flow of containers," Walmart's VP of Supply Chain Operations wrote on LinkedIn.
< Retail, Transportation, Economy, News, Shipping Crisis, Walmart, Supply Chain, supply chain crisis, price hikes, Shortages, Shipping containers, Container ship, Cargo Ships, Big Box, Boats >
- The Guardian(UK) 19:00November 30, 2021Rain to replace snow in the Arctic as climate heats, study findsClimate models show switch will happen decades faster than previously thought, with ‘profound’ implicationsRain will replace snow as the Arctic’s most common precipitation as the climate crisis heats up the planet’s northern ice cap, according to research.Today, more snow falls in the Arctic than rain. But this will reverse, the study suggests, with all the region’s land and almost all its seas receiving more rain than snow before the end of the century if the world warms by 3C. Pledges made by nations at the recent Cop26 summit could keep the temperature rise to a still disastrous 2.4C, but only if these promises are met. Continue reading...
< Polar regions, Ice, Extreme weather, Climate crisis, Environment, Greenland, World news, Snow >
- The Guardian(UK) 08:00November 30, 2021World’s vast networks of underground fungi to be mapped for first timeProject aims to help protect some of trillions of miles of the ‘circulatory system of the planet’Vast networks of underground fungi – the “circulatory system of the planet” – are to be mapped for the first time, in an attempt to protect them from damage and improve their ability to absorb and store carbon dioxide.Fungi use carbon to build networks in the soil, which connect to plant roots and act as nutrient “highways”, exchanging carbon from plant roots for nutrients. For instance, some fungi are known to supply 80% of phosphorus to their host plants. Continue reading...
< Fungi, Climate crisis, Biology, Environment, Science, Soil, World news >
- Breitbart News 01:53November 29, 2021EXCLUSIVE: Large Migrant Group Rushes Border in West TexasDEL RIO, Texas — Border Patrol agents in Del Rio apprehended more than 250 migrants crossing the Rio Grande in a single group. The group, according to a source within Customs and Border Protection (CBP) crossed the river into the United
< Border / Cartel Chronicles, Immigration, Politics, Biden border crisis, Cuban migrants, Del Rio Sector, Del Rio Station, immigration, Texas Border Crisis, U.S. Border Patrol, Venezuelan migrants >
- Breitbart News 00:05November 29, 2021Canada School Board Cancels Event with Yazidi Nobel Laureate, Former ISIS Sex Slave over ‘Islamophobia’ FearsA Canadian school board recently caused an uproar after it withdrew support for an event featuring Yazidi activist, former Islamic State (ISIS) sex slave, and Nobel Peace Prize laureate Nadia Murad out of concern it could foster “Islamophobia” and “offend” Muslim students.
< Media, Politics, Canada, Equity, ISIS, Islamophobia, Nadia Murad, Nobel Peace Prize, Yazidi >
- Business Insider 22:26November 28, 2021Here are the deadlines for sending your holiday gifts to ensure they arrive in time, according to the United States Postal ServiceThe recommended dates come amid an especially turbulent holiday shopping season marked by the impacts of the global supply chain crisis.
< Retail, Transportation, Retail, weekend BI US, USPS, Holiday 2021, supply chain crisis, Transportation, freight >
- Business Insider 20:51November 28, 2021The supply-chain crisis is 'shifting the perception of used' as shoppers turn to secondhand goods amid shipping delays and shortages"Why wait three months to find my dresser when I could just go pick it up tomorrow?" one Facebook Marketplace seller told Insider.
< Retail, Tech Insider, Transportation, News, thrifting, Vintage, Retail, Supply Chain, Shortages, supply chain crisis >
- Modern Tokyo Times 07:20November 28, 2021Japan border controls tightened on new Covid variant first noted in BotswanaJapan border controls tightened on new Covid variant first noted in Botswana Kanako Mita and Noriko Watanabe Modern Tokyo Times Prime Minister Fumio Kishida is tightening border controls in Japan concerning the new coronavirus variant that is raising enormous anxiety. Hence, tighter border controls have been announced for nations connected with Southern Africa. Therefore, tighter […]
The post Japan border controls tightened on new Covid variant first noted in Botswana first appeared on Modern Tokyo Times.
< Africa, Japan, Botswana and Omicron, Covid-19 crisis in Japan, HIV and Omicron in Botswana, http://moderntokyotimes.com, Japan and coronavirus measures, Japan and Omicron variant, Japan news agency, Kishida and Omicron measures, Modern Tokyo Times, Omicron and HIV, Omicron first noted in Botswana, Omicron raises concern, Omicron variant, Tokyo news, Tokyo news agency, Variant Omicron >
- Breitbart News 04:22November 28, 2021Pinkerton: Carter 2.0 -- Biden Blames Others for His Own Energy FailuresJoe Biden is following Jimmy Carter's playbook of restricting production, increasing inflation, and practicing demagoguery.
< Education, Environment, Politics, Energy, Energy Crisis, gas lines, Jimmy Carter, Joe Biden, oil and gas >
- Guardian 16:00November 27, 2021‘It’s critical’: can Microsoft make good on its climate ambitions?The company has set an example in the fight against carbon – but it retains ties to obstructionist groupsWhen the UN’s landmark climate report was released in 2018, calling for urgent and unprecedented changes, Microsoft executives were told to “commit it to memory”, said Elizabeth Willmott, who leads the company’s carbon program. “And so we did.”The report warned the world must reach net-zero emissions by 2050 in order to avert catastrophic climate change. To achieve this, not only must the emissions released by countries and companies be dramatically curtailed, but billions of tons of carbon dioxide must be sucked out of the atmosphere. Continue reading...
< Environment, Business, Technology sector, Microsoft, Computing, Technology, Climate crisis, Greenhouse gas emissions, Carbon capture and storage (CCS), Carbon offsetting >
- Modern Tokyo Times 05:30November 27, 2021China, India, and Russia voice concern about Afghanistan: Humanitarian assistance and drugsChina, India, and Russia voice concern about Afghanistan: Humanitarian assistance and drugs Sawako Utsumi and Sawako Uchida Modern Tokyo Times The nations of China, India, and the Russian Federation belong to the RIC format. Hence, the three members of the RIC (Russia, India, and China) uttered concern and alarm over the situation in Afghanistan. The […]
The post China, India, and Russia voice concern about Afghanistan: Humanitarian assistance and drugs first appeared on Modern Tokyo Times.
< Asia, China, Geopolitics, Russian Federation, Afghanistan crisis, Afghanistan geopolitics, China geopolitics, Humanitarian support for Afghanistan, India, India geopolitics, Japan news agency, Modern Tokyo News, Modern Tokyo Times, RIC and Afghanistan, Russia geopolitics, Shanghai Cooperation Organization, Taliban crisis, Tokyo news, Tokyo news agency >
- Business Insider 19:38November 26, 2021Amazon is confident it can deliver your holiday packages in time. It's chartering its own ships and reportedly using half-empty trucksFrom chartering its own ships to building up its air cargo fleet, Amazon has been operating in overdrive to deliver holiday goods in time.
< Retail, Transportation, Economy, News, Tech Insider, E-Commerce, Amazon, Shipping Crisis, Supply Chain, supply chain crisis, Cargo Ships, price hikes, Shortages >
- New York Times 19:26November 26, 2021Iraqis Return From Belarus, but Some Say They Will Try Again to Reach the E.U.“If I find a better and safe route, I will definitely try again,” said one of the more than 600 Iraqi migrants who came home on the government’s latest evacuation flights.
< Middle East and Africa Migrant Crisis, Politics and Government, Belarus-Poland Border Crisis (2021- ), Illegal Immigration, Immigration and Emigration, Kurds, European Union, Lukashenko, Aleksandr G, Belarus, Baghdad (Iraq), Erbil (Iraq), Europe, Iraq >
- New York Times 18:35November 26, 2021Iraqis Return from Belarus, but Some Say They Will Try Again to Reach the E.U.“If I find a better and safe route, I will definitely try again,” said one of the more than 600 Iraqi migrants who came home on the government’s latest evacuation flights.
< Middle East and Africa Migrant Crisis, Politics and Government, Belarus-Poland Border Crisis (2021- ), Illegal Immigration, Immigration and Emigration, Kurds, European Union, Lukashenko, Aleksandr G, Belarus, Baghdad (Iraq), Erbil (Iraq), Europe, Iraq >
- Guardian 17:05November 26, 2021Extinction Rebellion blockades Amazon UK hubs on Black FridayActivists target distribution network to highlight company’s treatment of workers and environmental impactClimate activists have blockaded Amazon distribution centres across the UK to highlight the company’s treatment of its workforce and what they say are its “environmentally destructive and wasteful business practices”.Scores of Extinction Rebellion (XR) activists locked themselves together and used bamboo structures in an attempt to disrupt the online retail company’s distribution network on Black Friday – one of the busiest shopping days of the year. Continue reading...
< Amazon, Extinction Rebellion, Climate crisis, Workers' rights, Protest, E-commerce, Environment, World news, UK news >
- Business Insider 16:19November 26, 2021I went onboard the largest container ship to ever use an East Coast port and found a visual representation of American spending during the pandemicThe CMA CGM Marco Polo can carry 16,022 twenty-foot-long containers and smashed records during its first trip to the US East Coast.
< Transportation, Travel, News, Boats, port congestion, Container ship, CMA CGM, port of new york and new jersey, Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, freight, Shipping container, Shipping containers, Shipping Crisis, Travel, Business Visual Features >
- Business Insider 10:37November 26, 2021China is imposing quarantines of up to 7 weeks for cargo ship crew, and it's bad news for the supply chainChina is imposing ever more stringent containment measures as the manufacturing powerhouse faces its latest wave of outbreak.
< Transportation, Shipping Crisis, supply chain crisis, China, Data, COVID-19 pandemic, Quarantine, Shipping, insider asia, Containers >
- Business Insider 05:22November 26, 2021Apple has stopped sales in Turkey after the lira crashed 15% in a day. The country's currency crisis is so dire that people are buying upmarket electronic imports as investments.The lira has lost 43% of its value this year and more than 22% since the beginning of last week alone.
< Economy, Turkey, Economy, Currencies, Lira, lira crisis, Apple, Technology >
- New York Times 00:01November 26, 2021Undeterred by Channel’s Perils, Desperate Migrants Still Plan to CrossThe number of migrants setting off into the English Channel by boat has soared in recent months. The deaths Wednesday of at least 27 people trying to make the crossing illustrates how dangerous it is.
< Middle East and Africa Migrant Crisis, English Channel, Maritime Accidents and Safety, Calais (France), France, Smuggling, Great Britain >
- Huffington Post UK 19:27November 25, 20215 Ways To Help Prevent Further Tragedy In The English Channel
< News, France, priti patel, english channel, migrant crisis, france, priti-patel, english-channel, migrant-crisis >
- Business Insider 18:16November 25, 2021The pandemic's housing crisis splintered the American Dream into 4 different versions. Say goodbye to the white picket fence.After 75 years of wanting a white picket fence, COVID changed it all. The American Dream home comes in four shapes now and so do attitudes about life.
< Economy, Markets, Real Estate, BI Graphics, Marianne Ayala, Economy, Housing Crisis, Housing Affordability, Millennials, Buying a house, Buying A Home, Pandemic, Remote Work, American Dream, Cities, Migration, Sunbelt, exurbs, Suburbs, tiny houses, VanLife, analysis >
- Huffington Post UK 15:05November 25, 2021‘Not Migrants, Humans’ – David Lammy’s 3 Words Make People Think Twice About The Migration Crisis
< Politics, david lammy, english channel, migrant crisis, david-lammy, english-channel, migrant-crisis >
- Huffington Post UK 14:20November 25, 2021Priti Patel Is Under Fire For Her Channel Policies After 27 Died Travelling To The UK
< Politics, priti patel, english channel, migrant crisis, priti-patel, english-channel, migrant-crisis >
- Huffington Post UK 12:58November 25, 2021English Channel Deaths: Everything We Know So Far About The 27 Fatalities
< News, english channel, migrant crisis, channel deaths, english-channel, migrant-crisis, channel-deaths >
- Business Insider 22:03November 24, 2021A billionaire boomer blames his generation for ruining the economy for millennialsBoomers left future generations with debt and a broken economy, billionaire Howard Marks said. It says a lot about millennials' affordability crisis.
< Economy, Markets, Economy, Baby Boomers, Millennials, Affordability crisis, Great Recession, Generations, Howard Marks, Howard Marks Memo >