- Petapixel 19:26October 18, 2021Autographed 1911 Photo of ‘Shoeless’ Joe Jackson Sells for $1.47 MillionAn autographed photograph from 1911 of baseball legend “Shoeless” Joe Jackson has sold at auction for a staggering price of $1.47 million, making it one of the most valuable photos in the world. The photo was included in a Christie’s and Hunt Auctions live auction titled “Extra Innings: A Private Collection of Important Baseball Memorabilia,” […]
< Culture, News, 1911, auction, autographed, christies, joejackson, memorabilia, photo, shoelessjoejackson, signedphoto, sold, sportscard >
- Breaking Defense 21:24October 12, 2021Advancing The Science Of Breast Cancer Research For Soldiers And Families[Sponsored] October is Breast Cancer Month, and the Henry M. Jackson Foundation for the Advancement of Military Medicine is waging a highly modernized war on breast cancer.
< Land Warfare, Sponsored Post, AUSA 2021, breast cancer awareness, cancer, Henry M. Jackson Foundation for the Advancement of Military Medicine / HJF, John P. Murtha Cancer Center, LDRS AUSA 2021, Leonardo DRS, Presented by Leonardo DRS, sponsored content >
- New York Magazine 16:00October 5, 2021Supreme Court Could Go Totally Extremist This TermIn at least three areas – abortion, guns, and federal regulatory powers – the Court could take a big and consequential leap to the right.
< politics, u.s. supreme court, october 2021 term, abortion, dobbs v. jackson women's health organization, whole women's health v. jackson, district of columbia v. heller, judicial activism, new york state rifle and pistol association v. braun, second amendment, chevron deference, american hospital association v. becerra, stephen breyer, clarence thomas, neil gorsuch, amy coney barrett, brett kavanaugh, samuel alito >
- New York Magazine 20:49October 4, 2021Todd Akin Exposed the Republican Party’s Abortion ExtremismTalk of “legitimate rape” from the former congressman, who died this week, led to GOP losses in 2012. Today’s Republicans could experience déjà vu.
< politics, abortion, todd akin, richard mourdock, elections of 2012, claire mccaskill, legitimate rape, rape and incest exceptions, dobbs v. jackson women's health organization, whole women's health v. jackson, kellyanne conway, 2022 midterms >
- Guardian 14:00October 4, 2021‘We wanted to make history’: Michael Jackson’s bizarre year in BahrainIn 2005, a Bahraini prince welcomed the deposed king of pop and wrote a Hurricane Katrina charity single with him. But Jackson’s erratic behaviour sent plans off courseOmar Shaheen remembers the moment well. In early 2005, the young Bahraini was driving when he received a surreal job offer: the chance to work with Michael Jackson. “It was totally out of left field,” he recalls. “It is a pinch-yourself kind of moment when you get a call to say you’re going to be working with someone who you idolise and is the biggest superstar of all time.”The request came from Sheikh Abdulla bin Hamad al-Khalifa, the second son of the king of Bahrain, who asked Shaheen to set up a state-of-the art recording studio on his grounds in anticipation of the star’s arrival. “There are so many adjectives to use,” Shaheen says of what was to unfold. “It was bizarre. It was crazy.” Continue reading...
< Michael Jackson, Music, Culture, Michael Jackson trial, Bahrain >
- Business Insider 15:30October 2, 2021The vision for transforming society with blockchain touted by Jack Dorsey, explained by a professorThe "crypto commoners" are a left-oriented movement that believes blockchain can potentially reorient society towards cooperation versus competition.
< Markets, MI Exclusive, crypto, Jack Dorsey, crypto commoners, george mason university, jackson palmer >
- Business Insider 23:57September 30, 2021Frontier Airlines announced 12 new routes with a focus on Cancun and Tampa - see the full listFrontier Airlines announced 12 new routes on Wednesday and it's honing in on Mexico and Florida, just in time for the winter travel season.
< Transportation, Travel, News, Business News, routes, Frontier Airlines, Cancun International Airport, Tampa International Airport, Cancun, tampa, Mexico, Florida, Atlanta, Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, punta cana, Dominican Republic, Airlines, Business Visual Features >
- Business Insider 21:37September 29, 2021GOP Rep. Ronny Jackson tried to blame ISIS-K attack on the military's 'woke social experiment,' baselessly tying the deadly bombing to Critical Race TheoryRep. Ronny Jackson, formerly President Trump's presidential physician, went through a laundry-list of Republican conspiracies as he questioned Milley.
< Politics, Ronny Jackson >
- New York Magazine 22:13September 28, 2021Mississippi Attorney General Says Abortion Ban Means Women Can Have It AllIt’s a bizarre argument, particularly coming from someone representing the reactionary state of Mississippi.
< politics, abortion, dobbs v. jackson women's health organization, roe v. wade, planned parenthood v. casey, lynn fitch, u.s. supreme court, equal pay laws >
- Guardian 09:00September 26, 2021Beatles on the brink: the truth about the Fab Four’s final daysThe director’s new documentary weaves together hours of unseen footage to dispel many myths about the band’s final weeks. John Harris, who was involved in the project, tells the inside storyOn paper, the idea looked brilliant. In the opening weeks of January 1969, the Beatles were working up new songs for a televised concert, and being filmed as they did so. Where the event would take place was unclear – but as rehearsals at Twickenham film studios went on, one of their associates came up with the idea of travelling to Libya, where they would perform in the remains of a famous amphitheatre, part of an ancient Roman city called Sabratha. As the plan was discussed amid set designs and maps one Wednesday afternoon, a new element was added: why not invite a few hundred fans to join them on a specially chartered ocean liner?Over the previous few days, John Lennon had been quiet and withdrawn, but now he seemed to be brimming with enthusiasm. The ship, he said, could be the setting for final dress rehearsals. He envisaged the group timing their set so they fell into a carefully picked musical moment just as the sun came up over the Mediterranean. If the four of them had been wondering how to present their performance, here was the most gloriously simple of answers: “God’s the gimmick,” he enthused. Continue reading...
< The Beatles, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, Ringo Starr, Pop and rock, Music documentary, Music books, Peter Jackson, Documentary films, Yoko Ono, Music, Film, Culture, Books, Disney+ >
- Guardian 12:00September 24, 2021Common’s teenage obsessions: ‘Michael Jordan gave me the shoes off his feet’As he releases his new album, A Beautiful Revolution (Pt 2), the US rapper remembers his terrible chat-up lines and the magic of the moonwalkEvergreen Plaza was a place that I would take the bus to go and shop, eat and see movies. It was one of the coolest places on the south side of Chicago because you could get cool clothes and get caramel and cheese popcorn, which is the Chicago thing. Evergreen Plaza wasn’t in my neighbourhood, so we had to go a little further out and we’d spend the whole day there. That’s where you would go to try to talk to girls. We would come up with lines to say to a girl – we called it macking. “Hey girl, you look good,” or “Man, them pants look nice.” Back then you ain’t got no game, you don’t know what to say, but I was still kind of a lover boy. I would write love letters to my girlfriend, or girls who I wanted to be my girlfriend. Continue reading...
< Rap, Hip-hop, Music, Culture, Michael Jackson, Eddie Murphy, Soul, Television, Television & radio, TV comedy, Michael Jordan, Basketball, Sport, Comedy >
- Business Insider 17:12September 15, 2021A flood of dogecoin imitators has kicked off a trademark battle for the meme token with a $31 billion market capA report in the Wall Street Journal on Tuesday shows how the massive popularity of a token created as a joke has led to a fight over ownership of the brand.
< Markets, MI Exclusive, Dogecoin, crypto, doge price, jackson palmer, Trademarks >
- New York Magazine 21:00September 13, 2021Partisanship Put Amy Coney Barrett on the Supreme Court. Now She’s Against It.The justice bemoaned perceptions of the Supreme Court following an introduction by Mitch McConnell, who made the confirmation process hyperpartisan.
< politics, u.s. supreme court, abortion, amy comey barrett, john roberts, stephen breyer, federalist society, whole women's health v. jackson, dobbs v. jackson women's health organization, roe v. wade, mitch mcconnell, merrick garland, barack obama >
- Guardian 12:00September 13, 2021Scientists identify key conditions to set up a creative ‘hot streak’Researchers use AI to reveal runs of artistic success are commonly preceded by an experimental phaseWhether it is the director Marta Meszaros, or the artist Jackson Pollock, those in creative careers often experience a particular burst of success.Now researchers have used artificial intelligence to reveal such “hot streaks” are commonly preceded by an experimental phase followed by a focus on one particular approach once the winning period has begun. Continue reading...
< Artificial intelligence (AI), Science, Film, Books, Culture, Art, Art and design, Peter Jackson, Hilary Mantel, Jackson Pollock, Computing, Technology >
- Business Insider 15:15September 11, 2021Some early crypto enthusiasts have bailed on the sector, saying the movement has bought into hype without understanding the technology's limitsDespite these detractors, in many ways the crypto enthusiasts have won.
< Markets, MI Exclusive, crypto, Bitcoin, hype, Leon Cooperman, jackson palmer >
- New York Magazine 23:59September 9, 2021DOJ Sues Texas Over Blatantly Unconstitutional Abortion BanThe opening bell of a long fight to save women’s constitutional rights against a conservative counter-revolution.
< politics, abortion, sb 8, merrick garland, department of justice, whole women's health v. jackson, john roberts, supremacy clause, vigilantes, joe biden, republicans >
- New York Magazine 02:07September 9, 2021How Far Will the Anti-Abortion Movement Go?if the Supreme Court reverses Roe, forget states’ rights and get ready for national or constitutional abortion bans.
< politics, abortion, roe v. wade, planned parenthood v. casey, sb 8, dobbs v. jackson women's health organization, whole women's health v. jackson, texas abortion law, mississippi abortion law, anti-abortion movement, human life amendment, republican party, fetal personhood >
- New York Magazine 01:48September 8, 2021Will Abortion Dominate the 2022 Midterms?It’s possible that given the current and near-future actions of the U.S. Supreme Court, abortion could matter more than ever to pro-choice voters.
< politics, 2022 midterms, abortion, whole women's health v. jackson, dobbs v. jackson women's health organization, roe v. wade, planned parenthood v. casey, democrats, republicans, joe biden, mitch mcconnell, merrick garland, u.s. supreme court, u.s. senate, u.s. house >
- New York Magazine 22:16September 7, 2021The Legal Shadowboxing Over the Texas Abortion BanMerrick Garland vowed to protect abortion seekers, and scholars proposed ways to thwart the law. But no “vigilante” suit means no legal action.
< politics, abortion, u.s. supreme court, roe v. wade, planned parenthood v. casey, dobbs v. jackson women's health organization, whole women's health v. jackson, merrick garland, sb 8, texas, republicans, joe biden, anti-abortion movement, reconstruction, enforcement act of 1870 >
- New York Magazine 02:58September 3, 2021The Anti-Abortion Movement’s Investment in the Republican Party Is Paying OffDonald Trump was the first president to keep his promises to them, and now the big moment of rolling back abortion rights may be near.
< politics, abortion, anti-abortion movement, texas abortion law, whole women's health v. jackson, roe v. wade, planned parenthood v. casey, ronald reagan, george h.w. bush, george w. bush, gerald ford, richard nixon, donald trump, mitch mcconnell, merrick garland, barack obama >
- New York Magazine 01:02September 3, 2021Texas Abortion Law: The Supreme Court’s Radical Ruling & What Comes NextA guide to the Texas abortion ban’s “vigilante” enforcement system, the Supreme Court’s shocking response, and the coming flood of legal battles.
< politics, abortion, roe v. wade, planned parenthood v. casey, dobbs v. jackson women's health organization, whole women's health v. jackson, john roberts, stephen breyer, sonia sotomayor, elena kagan, anti-abortion movement, abortion providers, mark lee dickson, republicans, democrats, fetal heartbeat laws, explainer >
- Business Insider 16:33August 31, 2021US stocks slip from record highs as investors await new economic dataThe benchmark S&P 500 and tech-heavy Nasdaq hit record highs in the previous session, heading for their seventh consecutive month of gains.
< Markets, MI Exclusive, Markets, Stock Market, Dow Jones, s&p 500, Gold, Brent Crude Oil, Brent crude oil price, Gold Price, wti oil, WTI oil price, consumer data, Jobs Report, Jerome Powell, Federal Reserve, delta variant, covid and economy, Jackson, Jackson Hole >
- Business Insider 15:15August 29, 2021Rev. Jesse Jackson transferred to rehab facility, unvaccinated wife in ICU as COVID-19 symptoms persistThe Rev. Jesse Jackson's unvaccinated wife, Jacqueline, is receiving increased oxygen but is not on a ventilator, a statement said.
< Politics, News, Jesse Jackson, COVID, coronavirus, hospitalizations, Unvaccinated, Civil Rights, UK Weekend, News UK >
- Breitbart News 08:16August 29, 2021Rep. Ronny Jackson: State Department 'Will Not' Help American Citizens Leave KabulRep. Ronny Jackson (R-TX) tweeted Sunday night that the State Department was not helping American citizens trying to leave Kabul.
< Asia, Politics, Afghanistan, Afghanistan War, Kabul, Kabul airport, Mike Waltz, Pentagon, Ronny Jackson, Special Immigrant Visa, U.S. military >
- Breitbart News 19:01August 28, 2021Ronny Jackson: Biden's Lack of Cognitive Fitness Is Playing out Now, 'He's Getting Americans Killed'On Friday’s broadcast of the Fox News Channel’s “Fox News Primetime,” Rep. Ronny Jackson (R-TX) stated that President Joe Biden’s lack of mental fitness for the office is being “played out on the international stage right now. He’s destroying the
< Clips, Israel / Middle East, Politics, Afghanistan, ISIS, Joe Biden, Ronny Jackson, Taliban >
- Business Insider 18:43August 27, 2021Why Jerome Powell's business-as-usual Jackson Hole speech was the best possible outcomePowell's speech didn't make waves, but that lack of any surprises helped stocks hit records and reassured the Fed isn't slashing its support just yet.
< Economy, Markets, Economy, Federal Reserve, Jackson Hole, Jerome Powell, Fed, Central Bank, federal reserve august meeting, fed asset purchases, tapering, asset purchases, Fed Chair, Fed Chairman Jerome Powell >
- Business Insider 12:37August 27, 2021US stock futures rally after slipping from record highs, as all eyes turn to Fed Chair Powell's speechAfter a mostly quiet week for stock markets, investors turn to Jerome Powell's speech at the Jackson Hole Symposium for clues about monetary policy.
< Markets, MI Exclusive, Markets, UK market wrap, US futures, US stocks, s&p 500, Dow Jones, Federal Reserve, Jerome Powell, Jackson Hole, Bond Yields, Dollar, bitcoin price, oil prices >
- Business Insider 16:34August 26, 2021US stocks mixed as investors digest higher than expected jobless claims and await Powell's speechInvestors are eagerly awaiting any clues about the Fed's plan for tapering asset purchases during Powell's speech on Friday.
< Markets, MI Exclusive, Stock market wrap, GDP data, Jobless Claims, s&p 500, S&P 500 record high, Jackson Hole, federal reserve august meeting, Dow, NASDAQ >
- Business Insider 11:38August 26, 2021US stock futures slip after the S&P 500 logs a record high, as traders count down to Fed Chair Jerome Powell's speechIt's shaping up for another subdued day on the stock market, with investors focused on Fed Chair Jerome Powell's big speech on Friday.
< Markets, MI Exclusive, Markets, UK market wrap, s&p 500, NASDAQ, Dow Jones, Federal Reserve, Jerome Powell, Jackson Hole, Bond Yields, treasury yields, dollar index, Bitcoin, oil prices >
- Business Insider 23:05August 25, 2021S&P 500, Nasdaq close at new highs as investors look to the upcoming speech of Fed Chair Powell"There could be a partial assessment of the economic situation," an analyst said. "The transitory inflation mantra should be reiterated."
< Markets, MI Exclusive, Markets, Stock Market, NASDAQ, S&P, Markets and Economy, Inflation, Federal Resere, Jackson Hole, Brent Crude Oil, WTI oil price, Gold, Bitcoin, crypto >
- Business Insider 16:50August 25, 2021A majority of investors believe inflation is transitory - but many are still positioning their portfolios for rising prices, an E*Trade survey reveals78% of investors surveyed in a recent E*Trade study are aligned with the Fed's outlook that inflation is transitory.
< Markets, MI Exclusive, Stock Market Outlook, Inflation, transitory inflation, Fed, Fed inflation outlook, Fed Jackson Hole >
- Business Insider 16:32August 25, 2021US stocks hover near record highs as investors await Fed Chair Powell's latest speechAll eyes will be on Fed Chair Jerome Powell's speech in Wyoming this week for signs of tapering asset purchases as the economy recovers.
< Markets, MI Exclusive, Markets, Stock Market, Federal Reserve, Inflation, inflation and stocks, Jackson Hole, wti crude oil, WTI Crude, wti crude oil price, Brent, Brent Crude Oil, Brent crude oil price, Bitcoin, crypto, Gold >
- Business Insider 12:31August 25, 2021US stock futures tread water after S&P 500 hits record high, as focus narrows in on Jerome Powell's Jackson Hole speechStock market investors remain hyper-focused on the Federal Reserve and the direction of monetary policy.
< Markets, MI Exclusive, Markets, UK market wrap, s&p 500, NASDAQ, Dow Jones, US futures, Bond Yields, Dollar, oil prices, Federal Reserve, Jerome Powell, Jackson Hole >
- Business Insider 16:37August 24, 2021US stocks edge higher as vaccine approval supports gains ahead of Fed's Jackson Hole meetingThe S&P 500 is looking to score a fresh record high in Tuesday's session as investors cheer the FDA's approval of Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine.
< Markets, MI Exclusive, Stocks, stock market news, stocks Tuesday, s&p 500, Dow Jones Industrial Average, Nasdaq Composite, Tech stocks, covid vaccines, Federal Reserve, Jackson Hole >
- Business Insider 13:37August 24, 2021Global stocks rise in wake of US markets' rally, as oil recoups most of its lossesInvestors' concerns about the impact of Covid-19 on markets and economic growth eased as they looked ahead to the Fed's Jackson Hole meeting.
< Markets, MI Exclusive, Markets, Stock Market, Stock Market Today, Dow Jones, Dow Jones Industrial Average futures, s&p 500, S&P 500 futures, nasdaq 100, NASDAQ, Oil, Oil price, covid and economy, COVID and stock market, covid economy, covid and stocks, Fed, tapering, fed tapering, Fed Taper, Jackson Hole >
- Business Insider 16:54August 23, 2021Jerome Powell needs to be bold and detail the Fed's next steps at Jackson Hole for the sake of the economy, Mohamed El-Erian saysMost traders and investors expect Powell to lay out a potential timeline for when the Fed could begin to unwind its bond-buying program.
< Markets, Economy, MI Exclusive, Markets, El-Erian, Mohamed El-Erian, Federal Reserve, Fed, Jerome Powell, Jackson Hole, Monetary Policy >
- Business Insider 14:43August 22, 2021Civil rights leader Rev Jesse Jackson and his wife have both been admitted to hospital with COVID-19The famed 77-year-old civil rights leader and his wife, Jacqueline Brown, are being treated at Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago.
< News, Politics, Jesse Jackson, COVID, coronavirus, Hospital admissions, Civil Rights, UK Weekend, News UK >
- Business Insider 19:40August 21, 2021Patagonia cut ties with a Wyoming ski resort after the owner hosted a GOP fundraiser featuring Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene and other Trump supportersJackson Hole Mountain Resort is a major Wyoming tourist destination and Patagonia's largest single customer in the area.
< Retail, Politics, Patagonia, Jackson Hole, Marjorie Taylor Greene, Jim Jordan, Mark Meadows, House Freedom Caucus, weekend BI US >
- Breitbart News 18:01August 20, 2021Fmr WH Doc GOP Rep. Jackson: Biden No Longer 'Cognitively Prepared' to Be President, Needs to ResignRepresentative Ronny Jackson (R-TX), formerly the White House physician, said Friday on Fox News Channel's "Fox & Friends First" that President Joe Biden is no longer “cognitively prepared” to be president, so he should resign.
< Clips, Politics, Joe Biden, Ronny Jackson >
- Business Insider 23:05August 19, 2021US stocks mixed after turbulent trading driven by Fed jitters and delta spread"Progress in the labor market is the missing piece of the puzzle for the Fed to set into motion," a managing director said.
< Markets, MI Exclusive, Markets, Stock Market, Gold, WTI Crude, wti crude oil, Brent, Brent Crude, Brent Crude Oil, Federa reserve, Fed, Fed inflation outlook, Federal Reserve Bank, Inflation, inflation and stocks, inflation and bonds, Jackson Hole, FOMC, FOMC meeting minutes, FOMC meeting >
- Business Insider 16:35August 19, 2021US stocks fall as investors fret over Fed tapering and economic recovery outlook"The Federal Reserve should start taking away the punchbowl by tapering after the next strong jobs report," a CIO said.
< Markets, MI Exclusive, Markets, Stock Market, Fed inflation outlook, Federal Reserve, Mohamed El-Erian, Inflation, asset purchase, bond buying, federal reserve august meeting, FOMC, FOMC meeting minutes, FOMC meeting, Jackson Hole, WTI oil price, Brent crude oi, Gold, stock market volatility >
- Guardian 14:45August 19, 2021‘I couldn’t be tied down!’ Wanda Jackson, rockabilly’s raucous queenShe dated Elvis – then made him look tame with her growling, high-energy rock’n’roll. And at 83 years old, she still can’t quite embrace retirementIn 2019, Wanda Jackson announced her retirement from performing. She had been on the road for 65 years, during which time she had variously been a country star, a rock’n’roll pioneer, a gospel singer and a grande dame hailed as either the Queen of Rockabilly, or its First Lady. It was a career that had taken her from touring with Elvis Presley just as his career took off to collaborating with Jack White, but she was ready to stop travelling: she had suffered a stroke, “problems with my knees and such”, and Wendell Goodman, her husband and manager of 55 years, had died in 2017. She was, she says, “glad of the rest”.And yet, here we are, two and a half years on. Jackson is peering out of my laptop screen from her home in Oklahoma: 83, sharp as a tack, fully madeup, elaborately coiffured and brushing aside queries about what happened to her retirement with a chuckle of “it’s hard to get a good girl down”. Continue reading...
< Wanda Jackson, Music, Rockabilly, Country, Pop and rock, Culture >
- Huffington Post UK 10:03August 19, 2021Joshua Jackson Defends Wife Jodie Turner-Smith After 'Racist' Backlash To Her Proposal
< Entertainment, Racism, Celebrity Relationships, Joshua Jackson, Jodie Turner-smith, racism, celebrity-relationships, joshua-jackson, jodie-turner-smith >
- Business Insider 17:30August 16, 2021Mohamed El-Erian says the stock market won't react to tapering speculation until the Fed's 'Big 3' starts to take it more seriously"So as long as the 'Big Three' aren't saying it, the market is not going to be listening to anything else," El-Erian told CNBC.
< Markets, MI Exclusive, Fed, fed and stocks, fed asset purchases, Fed bond purchases, Fed Chair, Fed Chairman Jerome Powell, Richard Clarida, Federal Reserve, John Williams, Mohamed El-Erian, Inflation, tapering, inflation and stocks, Inflation debate, Jackson Hole, FOMC meeting, FOMC >
- Flashbak 14:57August 11, 202122 Snapshots of Men In Killer Sunglasses – The Future’s So BrightHere are 21 snapshots of men in killer sunglasses. Boy, are they ever great pictures. The title is a variation on last summer’s 21 Vintage Snapshots of Women in Killer Sunglasses. We’ll klick off with the snapshot of the man on the railroad track reading Playboy in March 1969 and end with the color vertical … Continue reading "22 Snapshots of Men In Killer Sunglasses – The Future’s So Bright"
The post 22 Snapshots of Men In Killer Sunglasses – The Future’s So Bright appeared first on Flashbak.
< 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, Collectors, Fashion, Found Photos, Magazines, photographs, Politics, Science Fiction, Marshall McLuhan, Playboy, Robert E. Jackson, snapshots >
- Flashbak 17:55August 7, 2021Books By Their Covers: Ernest Hemingway in the 1960s and early ’70s Ernest Hemingway’s book titles are like short poems: The Sun Also Rises A Farewell to Arms To Have and Have Not From Whom the Bells Toll Death in the Afternoon The Short and Happy Life of Francis Macomber Across the River and into the Trees Titles that create mystery, a sense of danger, anticipation, … Continue reading "Books By Their Covers: Ernest Hemingway in the 1960s and early ’70s"
The post Books By Their Covers: Ernest Hemingway in the 1960s and early ’70s appeared first on Flashbak.
< Books, Famous Faces, Music, photographs, Religion, book covers, David Pelham, Dennis Rolfe, design, Ecclesiastes, Ernest Hemingway, Hunter S Thompson, Ian Nairn, Jann Haworth, John Donne, literature, Nairn's London, Pater Blake, poetry, Richard Hamilton, Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band, Stonewall Jackson, The Beatles, the bible, The White Album, US Civil War >
- Guardian 09:30August 4, 2021‘My job was to let my mother talk’: Shirley Jackson’s son on a book of her lettersIn a revealing new book, the under-appreciated author’s son shows a new side to his misunderstood motherIt has taken a while for the world to catch up to the disturbing works of Shirley Jackson. Although she caused a furor with her 1948 story The Lottery – the “winner” gets stoned to death – the rest of her voluminous literary output went largely under-appreciated during her lifetime and for decades after that. It’s not hard to imagine that she was ahead of her time – or at least ahead of what society wanted a woman to be writing about in the middle of the 20th century. Jackson herself ruefully noted that many expected The Lottery to end with the awarding of a washing machine, and her other subjects – including the end of the world and a woman experiencing dissociative identity disorder – weren’t exactly the stuff of the feminine mystique. Related: 'She puts you into a dream': inside a thrilling film about Shirley Jackson Continue reading...
< Shirley Jackson, Books, Culture, Fiction, Horror books >
- New York Magazine 00:31July 30, 2021Anti-Abortion Movement Lets the Mask Slip in Plea to Supreme CourtIt may be time for those who really want to ban all abortions to stop pretending they’re just worried about late-term instances or clinic regulations.
< politics, abortion, dobbs v. jackson women's health organization, amy coney barrett, roe v. wade, planned parenthood v. casey, hellerstedt v. whole women's health, national right to life committee, james bopp, ruth bader ginsburg, anthony kennedy >
- Breitbart News 19:42July 26, 2021Schiff: 'Liz Cheney and Adam Kinzinger Are Serious About Getting to the Truth of January 6'Monday on MSNBC's "Hallie Jackson Reports," Rep. Adam Schiff (D-CA) weighed in on House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA), adding Reps. Liz Cheney (R-WY) and Adam Kinzinger (R-IL) to the January 6 select committee.
< Clips, Politics, Adam Kinzinger, Adam Schiff, Capitol riot, Hallie Jackson Reports, Liz Cheney, MSNBC >
- Business Insider 03:25July 23, 2021Florida now accounts for nearly a quarter of all new COVID-19 cases in the United StatesOn July 21, just under 23% of positive coronavirus tests occurred in the state, which is seeing daily cases rise to a number last seen in January.
< Healthcare, News, Science, COVID-19, coronavirus, Florida, Jackson Health System, Ron DeSantis, Vaccines >