- The Guardian(UK) 23:23October 14, 2021Cressida Dick: no formal investigation into Met police chiefExclusive: London mayor’s office opts not to proceed over finding that commissioner obstructed police corruption inquiryThe mayor of London has decided Cressida Dick should not face a formal investigation into an official finding that she obstructed an inquiry into police corruption.In June, Dick, the Metropolitan police commissioner, was heavily criticised by the government-appointed panel investigating the 1987 murder of Daniel Morgan, a private detective whose killers were shielded by police corruption. Continue reading...
< Cressida Dick, Metropolitan police, Sadiq Khan, Police, Law, London, UK news >
- Huffington Post UK 13:55October 12, 2021London's Tube Map Powerfully Reimagined By TFL To Honour Black History Month
< Life, sadiq khan, black history month, tfl, black history now, london tube, sadiq-khan, black-history-month, black-history-now, london-tube >
- The Guardian 09:00October 10, 2021Biden administration delivers brusque message to PakistanWith relations frosty over Taliban victory and Pakistani repression, deputy secretary of state visits for ‘specific and narrow purpose’A senior US official visiting Islamabad has made clear to Pakistan that the Biden administration has downgraded the bilateral relationship.On the eve of her arrival, the deputy secretary of state, Wendy Sherman, used a public event in Mumbai to lay out in blunt terms the new parameters of US-Pakistan relations, stressing there would be no equivalence with Washington’s deepening ties to India. Continue reading...
< Pakistan, US foreign policy, South and Central Asia, World news, Imran Khan, US news, Afghanistan, Taliban, India >
- Business Insider 20:51October 6, 2021Biden's administration is cracking down on for-profit schools that made 'false promises' about students' futures and drove them into debtSeventy schools, including the University of Phoenix, could face fines of $43,792 per violation if found to be misleading and defrauding students.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Policy, Economy, Politics, FTC, For-Profit Education, Student Debt, Student Loans, Lina Khan, Biden, Education Department, Miguel Cardona >
- The Guardian(UK) 21:09October 4, 2021Pandora Papers: tax avoidance revelations prompt outraged denialsInternational reaction to offshore data leak ranges from pledges to clamp down to anger and cries of old newsSee all of our Pandora papers coverageThe Pandora Papers’ revelations prompted an avalanche of international reaction on Monday, ranging from solemn government pledges to clamp down on tax avoidance to outraged denials and a few cries of old news.The leak published on Sunday by the Guardian and other global media partners revealed the leading role played by the US in the offshore industry, including in the state of South Dakota. It also showcased the use of offshore secrecy jurisdictions by world leaders past and present, as well as other politicians and top public officials. Continue reading...
< Pandora papers, World news, Joe Biden, Vladimir Putin, Rishi Sunak, US news, Russia, Australia news, Panama, Pakistan, Imran Khan, Czech Republic, Jordan, King Abdullah, Ukraine >
- The Guardian(UK) 05:00October 4, 2021Pakistan minister ditched offshore plans amid ‘concerns’ over tax authorityChaudhry Moonis Elahi backed out after learning Pakistan authorities had to be informed, leak suggestsA minister in Imran Khan’s Pakistan government pulled out of making planned investments through offshore tax havens after he was told his country’s tax authorities would be informed, documents in the Pandora papers suggest.Chaudhry Moonis Elahi, Khan’s minister for water resources and a member of an influential family in Pakistani business and politics, expressed “concerns” in August 2017 about the investment being reported to his home country, according to the papers, and instead decided to establish a trust structure in the UK. Continue reading...
< Pakistan, Imran Khan, World news >
- iXBT 11:17October 2, 2021Caterpillar совместно с Hot Wheels сняла свой аналог Gymkhana. Фанатский фильм Cat Trial 11: Hot WheelsКампания Caterpillar решила вернуть своих пользователей в детство. При поддержке Hot Wheels создали эпическую игровую площадку при помощи колесной и гусеничной техники Cat нового поколения, включая Hot Wheels версии автомобилей в натуральную величину. Cat привлекли профессиональных каскадеров, дизайнеров треков и операторов тяжелой техники со всей страны, чтобы воплотить все это в жизнь.Операторы:Томас Браун — Morgan CorpЭдгардо Монтано — ER JahnaРайан Инохоса — Silver Creek Materials Тиа Шадли — Illinois Civil Contractors Inc. Энтони Алонзо — Wells Excavation Тереза Браун — Н. Finch CoСпециально для этого ролика были построены пять автомобилей в стилистике Hot Wheels. По задумке Cat каждый из этих автомобилей символизирует одну из услуг компании: Baja Truck — Сертифицированный ремонтBuggy — Самостоятельный ремонт Loop Car — Расходники для гидравлических систем (шланги и муфты)ъ Loop Car(2) — Cat Financial (финансовое подразделение Cat)Rip Rod — Различные уровни ремонта техники.
< Caterpillar, Hot Wheels, Cat, Gymkhana, Cat Trial 11, Новость >
- The Guardian(UK) 11:22September 23, 2021Starmer fails to get backing of Sadiq Khan over plans to change Labour leadership rules – UK politics liveLatest updates: pressure rises on Starmer to shelve vote on proposals at party conference, with major unions also not yet backing leadership rule changesKeir Starmer essay sets Labour on course for centre groundCoronavirus – latest global updatesSee all our coronavirus coverage 9.22am BST Good morning. Sir Keir Starmer took a risk earlier this week when he announced plans for significant changes to Labour’s internal rules (covering leadership elections, and other matters) that infuriated the left. Yesterday he discovered that the major unions that fund Labour are not yet backing him, and now he is under pressure to shelve the vote on the proposals planned for the party conference. Here is my colleague Jessica Elgot’s overnight story. Related: Keir Starmer under pressure to delay Labour rules shake-up I’ve got to be frank; as the mayor of London, internal party rules isn’t at the fore of my mind. I haven’t had a chance to look into the changes being considered.I’ve been going to Labour conference every year since I was a boy, and there are always changes in our rules at conference because our conference is the sovereign decision-making body.Well, it’s not at the fore of my mind as mayor. What’s at the fore of my mind is taking bold action to address the twin challenges of air pollution and climate change. Related: Keir Starmer essay sets Labour on course for centre ground Related: Covid live news: Delta ‘crippling’ Alaska’s health system; South Korea urges testing amid holiday surge fears Continue reading...
< Labour, Politics, UK news, Keir Starmer, Sadiq Khan, Labour conference 2021 >
- New York Times 18:22September 21, 2021Pakistani Cricket Board Chief Faces Criticism for Being a British “Import”“I don’t think anything prepared me for the hostility I was going to face,” the British-born Wasim Khan says of overseeing a beloved sport in a country where many see him only as a foreigner.
< Khan, Wasim, Cricket (Game), Pakistan, Khan, Imran >
- Guardian 08:00September 21, 2021Ballerina Erina Takahashi: ‘I didn’t think I would have this challenge at this age’ENB’s lead principal has seen ballet grow better, bolder and kinder over 25 years. Now she is taking on Akram Khan’s version of FrankensteinErina Takahashi got lost on her first day at ballet school. Just arrived in London aged 15, speaking barely any English, she decided to take a side road and ended up panicked, unable to find her way back. “I’ll never forget that,” she says. “I don’t know why I felt like I wanted to be adventurous and go a different route.”She paints herself as a shy teen, but what could be more adventurous than moving across the world on your own to become a dancer? There was loneliness in following that dream, whether stranded on the back streets of Kensington, or living in a hostel, staying as late as she could at school to avoid going back to her room. But once Takahashi did find English National Ballet School that first day, she basically never left, joining the ENB company in 1996 at 17 and 25 years later as a lead principal she’s still there. That’s an epic career for a ballet dancer, still on pristine form at 43 with no immediate plan to retire. Continue reading...
< English National Ballet, Ballet, Dance, Stage, Culture, Akram Khan, Tamara Rojo, Sadler's Wells >
- The Guardian(UK) 01:09September 19, 2021Amir Khan says he was escorted from US flight ‘for no reason’British boxer claims to have been banned by American Airlines after colleague’s mask ‘not high enough’British boxer Amir Khan has said he was escorted from a flight in the US by police “for no reason”.The 34-year-old, who has also appeared on reality television shows including I’m a Celebrity … Get Me Out of Here!, claimed he had been banned by American Airlines. Continue reading...
< UK news, Amir Khan, Boxing >
- The Guardian(UK) 17:22September 18, 2021Pakistan PM says he has started dialogue with Taliban over inclusivityImran Khan says his initiative follows talks with leaders of Afghanistan’s neighboursPakistan’s prime minister says he has initiated a dialogue with the Taliban to encourage them to form an inclusive government that would ensure peace and stability in Afghanistan and the region.Imran Khan tweeted on Saturday that he took the initiative after his meetings this week in Dushanbe, Tajikistan, with leaders of countries neighbouring Afghanistan. Continue reading...
< Taliban, Imran Khan, Afghanistan, Pakistan, South and Central Asia, World news >
- Business Insider 20:34September 17, 2021As the US defense budget inches closer to $800 billion, critics say more money doesn't buy what the military really needsProgressives already compromised on Biden's budget, but to have Republicans tack on $24 billion is "just unacceptable," Rep. Ro Khanna told Insider.
< Military & Defense, Politics, National Defense Authorization Act, Defense Budget, Defense Spending, Ro Khanna, House Armed Services Committee, US Department of Defense, Pentagon >
- Huffington Post UK 11:23September 13, 2021Saira Khan Reveals Extent Of Celebrity SAS: Who Dares Wins Injury
< Entertainment, uktv, uktvreality, saira khan, celebrity sas who dares wins, saira-khan, celebrity-sas-who-dares-wins >
- Huffington Post UK 12:58September 9, 2021Anti-Vaccine Campaigners Leave Posters Embedded With Razor Blades Across London
< News, sadiq khan, tfl, london stations, anti-vaccine, anti vaxxers, sadiq-khan, london-stations, anti-vaxxers >
- The Guardian(UK) 18:32September 8, 2021Cressida Dick offered two-year extension as Met police chiefExtension said to have been granted because those most likely to replace her are not yet seen as suitableThe government has offered the Metropolitan police commissioner, Cressida Dick, a two-year extension to her term in office.The decision was made by the home secretary, Priti Patel, in consultation with the London mayor, Sadiq Khan, and Downing Street. Continue reading...
< Cressida Dick, UK news, Metropolitan police, London, Police, Priti Patel, Sadiq Khan, Politics >
- New York Times 17:14September 6, 2021Belarus Opposition Leader Sentenced to 11 Years in PrisonThe convictions of Maria Kolesnikova, a fierce opponent of President Aleksandr Lukashenko, and a colleague are part of a crackdown on dissent following a disputed election last year.
< Political Prisoners, Human Rights and Human Rights Violations, Kolesnikova, Maria, Lukashenko, Aleksandr G, Tikhanovskaya, Svetlana, Belarus >
- The Guardian 15:23September 3, 2021Raab says Taliban takeover was surprise in apparent contradiction to PMForeign secretary says Afghanistan’s fall came ‘faster than anyone anticipated’ during Islamabad visitDominic Raab has said there was widespread surprise including among the Taliban at the speed with which the group swept to military victory in Afghanistan, but the UK now wanted direct communication with the militants.Raab was speaking after holding talks with officials in Pakistan, the country with the greatest sway over the Taliban. It was his first visit to Islamabad as foreign secretary, and follows criticism that he had not engaged with the Pakistan foreign policy elite in the six months prior to the crisis erupting. Continue reading...
< Afghanistan, Dominic Raab, Conservatives, Boris Johnson, Foreign policy, Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office, Pakistan, Imran Khan, World news, South and Central Asia, Politics, UK news >
- Business Insider 02:00September 2, 2021More than a dozen Democrats back Republican push to increase defense spending by $25 billion more than Biden requestedThe amendment to the 2022 National Defense Authorization Act boosts total military spending to roughly $740 million.
< Military & Defense, News, Politics, Military, Defense, Congress, Ro Khanna, Pentagon, Joe Biden >
- Huffington Post UK 09:35August 31, 2021Saira Khan Sets The Record Straight Following Reports Of SAS: Who Dares Wins 'Legal Battle'
< Entertainment, uk celebrity, saira khan, sas who dares wins, celebrity sas who dares wins, uk-celebrity, saira-khan, sas-who-dares-wins, celebrity-sas-who-dares-wins >
- Business Insider 18:17August 30, 2021The Taliban's return to power has China worried about the remote strip of land that connects the 2 countriesChina has always been wary of the narrow, isolated Wakhan Corridor becoming a conduit for Uygur militancy in Xinjiang.
< Military & Defense Contributors, Military & Defense, South China Morning Post, News Contributor, China, Afghanistan, Wakhan Corridor, Pakistan, Taliban, Xinjiang >
- Huffington Post UK 12:00August 29, 2021Saira Khan Takes Legal Action Over Celebrity SAS: Who Dares Wins Injury
< Entertainment, uktv, uktvreality, saira khan, sas who dares wins, saira-khan, sas-who-dares-wins >
- New York Times 19:21August 28, 2021Coronavirus in UK: Britons, Unfazed by High Covid Rates, Weigh Their ‘Price of Freedom’Britain is reporting more than 30,000 new coronavirus cases a day, but the public seems to have moved on. Experts say this could be a glimpse into the future for other countries.
< Politics and Government, Disease Rates, Vaccination and Immunization, Coronavirus Reopenings, Subways, Transit Systems, Quarantines, Coronavirus (2019-nCoV), National Health Service, Johnson, Boris, Khan, Sadiq, England, Great Britain >
- New York Times 12:00August 28, 2021Britons, Unfazed by High Covid Rates, Weigh Their ‘Price of Freedom’Britain is reporting more than 30,000 new coronavirus cases a day, but the public seems to have moved on. Experts say this could be a glimpse into the future for other countries.
< Politics and Government, Disease Rates, Vaccination and Immunization, Coronavirus Reopenings, Subways, Transit Systems, Quarantines, Coronavirus (2019-nCoV), National Health Service, Johnson, Boris, Khan, Sadiq, England, Great Britain >
- Guardian 10:00August 26, 2021Hamlet, Cabaret and a fistful of Romeos: the best theatre, comedy and dance of autumn 2021Cush Jumbo tackles the troubled prince, Jessie Buckley and Eddie Redmayne head for 30s Berlin, while standup favourites and dance spectaculars burst back on the stage Continue reading...
< Stage, Theatre, Comedy, Dance, Ballet, Musicals, Culture, Akram Khan, Matthew Bourne, Wayne McGregor, Rosie Kay Dance Company, Dane Baptiste, Bridget Christie, Simon Amstell, Eddie Redmayne, Jessie Buckley, Frozen, Michael Grandage, Rosalie Craig, Rufus Norris, Cush Jumbo, Adrian Dunbar, Young Vic, West End, Almeida theatre, Punk, Leeds Playhouse, Chichester Festival theatre, Pitlochry Festival theatre, National Theatre, Hilary Mantel, Bob Marley, Birmingham Rep, Comedy >
- The Guardian 13:05August 19, 2021Hundreds of men in Pakistan investigated over mass sexual assault of womanLahore police open case against 300-400 unidentified people captured on TikTokPolice in Pakistan have opened cases against hundreds of unidentified men after a young woman was sexually assaulted and groped by a crowd of more than 400 men in a park in Lahore as she made a TikTok video.The shocking assault was captured on several videos which went viral and showed a mob descend on the woman as she was in Lahore’s Greater Iqbal park making a TikTok video with friends. In broad daylight, the men picked up the young woman and tossed her between them, tearing her clothes and assaulting and groping her. Continue reading...
< Pakistan, Sexual harassment, TikTok, World news, Imran Khan, South and Central Asia >
- New York Times 17:00August 13, 2021Pakistan Under Pressure as Taliban Advance in AfghanistanThe United States and others want Pakistan to push harder for peace. But many Pakistanis see a Taliban victory as inevitable, and some are cheering for one.
< Afghanistan War (2001- ), Pakistan, Taliban, Afghanistan, Tehrik-e-Taliban, Khan, Imran >
- Business Insider 13:52August 5, 2021Elizabeth Warren laid into Amazon and Facebook for trying to sideline new FTC chair Lina Khan. Both companies 'fear' Khan's antitrust expertise, she said.Amazon and Facebook want Khan recused from antitrust cases involving them, claiming she's biased. Warren says they simple "fear" Khan's expertise.
< Tech Insider, Politics, News, Elizabeth Warren, Facebook, Amazon, Antitrust, FTC, Lina Khan >
- New York Times 22:51August 1, 2021Olympic Sprinter From Belarus Seeks Refuge in Japan, Fearing Jail at HomeBelarus tried to deport the sprinter, Kristina Timanovskaya, from Japan after she criticized her coaches for registering her for the wrong event.
< Olympic Games (2020), Asylum, Right of, International Olympic Committee, Protasevich, Roman, Tikhanovskaya, Svetlana, Belarus, Japan >
- Business Insider 21:56July 30, 2021Biden nominates Gold Star father Khizr Khan to US Commission on International Religious FreedomKhan rose to prominence after denouncing Donald Trump's disparaging comments against Muslims in a speech at the 2016 Democratic National Convention.
< Politics, khizr khan, Religious freedom, Biden administration >
- New York Times 18:21July 22, 2021Pulling Levers in Exile, Belarus Opposition Leader Tries to Stay RelevantAs a crackdown widens in her country, Svetlana Tikhanovskaya is trying to build a broad phalanx of Western opposition to a dictatorship that she says is on its “last breaths.”
< Politics and Government, Elections, United States International Relations, Political Prisoners, Human Rights and Human Rights Violations, Content Type: Personal Profile, Demonstrations, Protests and Riots, Lukashenko, Aleksandr G, Tikhanovskaya, Svetlana, Tikhanovsky, Sergei, Belarus >
- Breitbart News 03:51July 22, 2021Dem Rep. Khanna: Trump Has to Testify Before Capitol Riot CommissionRepresentative Ro Khanna (D-CA) said Wednesday on CNN's "Situation Room" that the House Select Committee on the January 6 Capitol riots will have to hear testimony from former President Donald Trump.
< Clips, Politics, Capitol riots, Donald Trump, January 6 Capitol riot, Kevin McCarthy, Nancy Pelosi, Ro Khanna >
- Business Insider 18:02July 14, 2021Facebook joins Amazon in requesting the FTC's new chairwoman be removed from any investigations, saying she's biasedFacebook says 32-year-old Lina Khan "has prejudged" an antitrust case brought against it by the federal government.
< Tech Insider, Politics, News, Facebook, Lina Khan, Amazon, Antitrust >
- The Guardian(UK) 13:01July 14, 2021Boris Johnson accused of losing ‘moral backbone’ as plan for Troubles amnesty faces wall of opposition – politics liveLatest updates: Labour calls plans for statute of limitations to end prosecutions related to the Troubles before 1998 ‘staggeringly insensitive’Government to introduce statute of limitations on Troubles prosecutionsTory MP says party must change attitude towards taking the kneeShapps: mask-wearing expected to remain on public transportCoronavirus – latest global updates 10.58am BST Labour has said that plans to introduce a statute of limitations to end all prosecutions related to the Troubles before 1998 - in effect an amnesty, covering terrorists as well as members of the armed forced - are “staggeringly insensitive”.Brandon Lewis, the Northern Ireland secretary, is set to announce the plans in parliament this afternoon. As our preview story reports, a government source said:We want to give Northern Ireland society the best chance of moving forward as one – to do that we must confront the difficult and painful reality that the realistic prospect of prosecutions is vanishingly small and while that prospect remains Northern Ireland will continue to be hamstrung by its past.Our legacy package will support Northern Ireland to move beyond an adversarial cycle that doesn’t deliver information or reconciliation for victims and survivors nor end the cycle of investigations against our veterans. Related: Government to introduce statute of limitations on Troubles prosecutions This is not a fait accompli. This is UKG outlining its position. Irish Govt has very different view (Stormont House), as do NI political parties & victims groups. SOSNI & I have committed to an inclusive dialog to try to agree consensus & that’s underway. https://t.co/MCQt5mbKgIThis government gave victims their word – they would deliver the proper investigations denied to victims and their families for so long. To tear up that pledge would be insulting, and to do so without the faintest hint of consultation with those who lost loved ones would be staggeringly insensitive.At what point did your government lose all sight of its moral, ethical and judicial backbone? According to media reports, the government are preparing legislation to address crimes committed during The Troubles, which would: “allow people who were involved in the conflict to testify about what happened without fear of prosecution, giving closure to families of those who were killed.” 10.25am BST In interviews this morning Sadiq Khan, the mayor of London, sought to explain how Transport for London will get passengers to carry on wearing masks next week when it is not longer a legal requirement in England. Masks would be a “condition of carriage”, he said, and special staff would enforce the rule. He said:We employ a number of enforcement officers, over 400. They will be making sure if anyone’s not wearing a face mask, they will be reminded of the importance of doing so. Continue reading...
< Politics, Northern Ireland, Coronavirus, UK news, Boris Johnson, Keir Starmer, PMQs, Sadiq Khan, Transport, House of Commons >
- The Guardian(UK) 20:23July 13, 2021Masks to remain compulsory on London tube, buses and trainsFace coverings still required on London transport from 19 July despite national rail operators making them optionalCoronavirus – latest updatesSee all our coronavirus coverageMask wearing will remain compulsory on the tube and other London transport services after next Monday, Transport for London is to announce, as national rail and bus operators in England said they would only request passengers follow government guidance.Unions and bus industry bodies attacked the government for its confused messaging over the changes from 19 July, when face coverings will no longer be mandatory, saying the changed rhetoric had left operators unable to plan and could put staff and services at risk. Continue reading...
< London Underground, UK news, Transport policy, Transport, Sadiq Khan, London, Politics, Rail transport, Scotland, Coronavirus >
- Modern Tokyo Times 08:36July 11, 2021Pakistan Struggles to Contain the Radicalism it FosteredPakistan Struggles to Contain the Radicalism it Fostered by Hany GhorabaIPT News Investigative Project on Terrorism A state that was founded in 1947 on the basis of its majority religion, outbursts and protests for religious causes are a common scene in Pakistan. At one time, the Pakistani government looked the other way or even endorsed […]
The post Pakistan Struggles to Contain the Radicalism it Fostered first appeared on Modern Tokyo Times.
< Asia, Europe, Geopolitics, Religious Persecution, Terrorism, Anil Trigunayat, blasphemy laws, Christian persecution in Pakistan, Emmanuel Macron and terrorist killings, free speech, Hany Ghoraba, Imran Kahn and Islamism, Imran Khan, Investigative Project on Terrorism, Islamist Censorship, Macron rebukes Islamism, Mohammed cartoons, radicalization, Saad Rizvi, Samuel Paty, Tahir Ahmad Nassim, Tehreek-e-Labbaik Pakistan, USCIRF, Uyghur Muslims >
- The Guardian(UK) 22:00July 10, 2021Public alarm grows at Boris Johnson’s plan for Covid ‘freedom day’Poll shows 50% want rules to stay in place, as mayors urge masks on public transportCoronavirus – latest updatesSee all our coronavirus coverageBoris Johnson faces a growing revolt over plans to end most Covid restrictions on 19 July – including the mandatory wearing of face masks on public transport and in hospitals – as half of the public now say they want “freedom day” to be delayed.Last night, as doctors and other NHS workers demanded that mask-wearing continue in hospitals, regional political leaders broke ranks, saying they would override the national government on the issue and strongly advise people to continue wearing masks on public transport. Continue reading...
< Coronavirus, UK news, Health policy, Health, Politics, Public services policy, Andy Burnham, Sadiq Khan, Transport, NHS >
- Business Insider 19:53June 30, 2021Amazon really doesn't like the FTC's new chairAmazon wants FTC chair Lina Khan removed from any investigation of the company because of a 2017 paper she wrote calling the firm a monopoly.
< Tech Insider, Politics, News, Amazon, FTC, Antitrust, Lina Khan, Federal Trade Commission >
- Business Insider 00:35June 30, 2021Biden is fighting a 'low-intensity war' against Iran-backed militants, and it's causing tensions with fellow DemocratsBiden is facing growing accusations from fellow Democrats of waging what's effectively an undeclared war.
< Politics, International, News, Military & Defense, Joe Biden, Iran, Chris Murphy, Ro Khanna, analysis >
- Business Insider 00:41June 22, 2021The rise of Lina Khan, a Big Tech critic who just assumed the helm of the country's most powerful antitrust enforcement agencyLina Khan studied law at Yale and wrote a critical paper on Amazon in 2017. Now, she's leading the US agency empowered to break Big Tech apart.
< Tech Insider, Politics, Strategy, News, Big Tech, Regulation, FTC, Lina Khan >
- Breitbart News 06:51May 28, 2021Black Lives Matter Co-founder Patrisse Cullors ResignsBlack Lives Matter co-founder Patrisse Cullors resigned on Thursday, following controversy about her personal wealth -- though she, and the Black Lives Matter Global Network Foundation (BLMGNF), denied that had anything to do with it.
< Politics, Social Justice, Black Lives Matter, Patrisse Cullors, Patrisse Khan-Cullors >
- Breitbart News 19:25May 24, 2021Activists Blame Media for Shooting of Black Lives Matter Radical Sasha JohnsonSupporters of Black Lives Matter activist Sasha Johnson blamed the media for her shooting during a vigil held outside of the hospital where she remains in critical condition.
< Crime, London / Europe, Social Justice, Black Lives Matter, Black Lives Matter UK, Black Panthers, BLM, diversity, Gun Crime, gun violence, London, London crime, London Metropolitan Police, Metropolitan police, Metropolitan Police Service, sadiq khan, Sasha Johnson, Taking the Initiative Party, The Met, uk crime, UKBLM, United Kingdom >
- Breitbart News 11:21May 24, 2021London: Black Lives Matter Activist Sasha Johnson 'Critical' After Being Shot in the HeadSasha Johnson, one of Britain's best-known Black Lives Matter activists, has been shot in the head and is in "critical condition", according to a statement released by her political party on Sunday.
< Crime, London / Europe, Social Justice, Black Lives Matter, Black Lives Matter UK, Black Panthers, BLM, diversity, Gun Crime, gun violence, London, London crime, London Metropolitan Police, Metropolitan police, Metropolitan Police Service, sadiq khan, Sasha Johnson, Southwark, Taking the Initiative Party, The Met, uk crime, UKBLM, United Kingdom >
- Breitbart News 13:15May 23, 2021WATCH: Pro-Palestinian Mob Attacks Car on the Streets of LondonBrexit leader Nigel Farage declared that "London in 2021 is not a safe place to be" following footage emerging of pro-Palestinian activists attacking a car during a demonstration against Israel on Saturday.
< Crime, Israel / Middle East, London / Europe, anti-Israel, anti-Israel activism, anti-Israel activists, anti-Israel hatred, anti-semitism, antisemitism, British Muslims, diversity, Islamic anti-semitism, Islamic Jihad, Islamism, Islamist Extremism, Israel, Israel-Arab conflict, Israel-Palestinian conflict, jihad, jihadists, London, London crime, Multiculturalism, Nigel Farage, Palestinian Islamic Jihad, Palestinian jihadis, radical Islamism, radical Islamists, sadiq khan, Social Cohesion, uk crime, United Kingdom >
- Business Insider 21:21May 20, 20212019's tax gap of $600 billion could rise to $7 trillion this decade if unaddressed, Treasury saysThe Treasury Department released new proposals to strengthen IRS enforcement, including doubling staffers to help combat tax evasion.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Policy, Economy, Politics, internal revenue service, IRS, Taxes, Tax Evasion, Charles Rettig, Biden, Treasury Department, Ro Khanna >
- The Guardian(UK) 19:00May 19, 2021Losing byelection would be ‘curtains’ for Keir Starmer, says Diane AbbottLabour left wing would back leadership run by Andy Burnham if party loses Batley and Spen, Corbyn ally saysDiane Abbott: Andy Burnham is well placed to lead LabourKeir Starmer should resign if Labour loses the Batley and Spen byelection, the former shadow home secretary Diane Abbott has said, suggesting the party’s left wing would endorse a leadership run by Andy Burnham.Her intervention comes as Sadiq Khan became the second prominent Labour mayor to reach out to the rest of the country, writing in the Yorkshire Post about breaching the divide between the north and his city, London. Continue reading...
< Labour, Labour party leadership, Politics, UK news, Keir Starmer, Byelections, Diane Abbott, Andy Burnham, Sadiq Khan >
- Guardian 13:28May 18, 2021Radhe review – Salman Khan blockbuster is a cheap dash through the fight tropesWhy use the door, Salman? Bollywood megastar goes back to basics, pummelling everything in sight including narrative cohesionWhat was originally scheduled as India’s big Eid blockbuster for May 2020 is opening a year later in cinemas everywhere but India itself, where it came out on streaming platforms last weekend. In his guise as producer-megastar, musclebound Salman Khan has dispatched his minions to hollow out the taut narrative chicanery of 2017’s Korean thriller The Outlaws and reconfigure its carcass into the kind of flattering vehicle only a powerful Bollywood leading man can command. Despite some early welcome flickers of the kind of self-awareness that’s crept into Khan’s projects over the past half-decade, the result is very much back-to-basics. The more knowing nonsense only serves to make the eventual slump into third-rate pummelling more dispiriting.Most of that nonsense, which prompts fitful back-row giggles, concerns Khan’s indomitable hero cop Radhe. “He has his own methods of working,” insists one of the Mumbai police chiefs recruiting him to protect the city’s youth from straggle-haired druglord Randeep Hooda. These include: never entering via the door when he can leap face-first through a glass window, manifesting in multiple locations simultaneously so as to better box his quarries’ ears, and – less amusingly – casually torturing suspects. A chance encounter with poster-girl Diya (Disha Patani) encourages our man to try male modelling; this love interest, naturally, turns out to be the sister of Radhe’s ever more exasperated CO (Jackie Shroff). Don’t ask about the 35-year age gap between these siblings; no one behind the camera clearly bothered. Continue reading...
< Film, Bollywood, Salman Khan, Thrillers, Action and adventure films, Crime films, India, Mumbai, World news, South and Central Asia, Culture >
- The Guardian(UK) 15:01May 17, 2021UK Covid live: under-40s in Glasgow invited to get vaccine as Johnson urges ‘caution’ with many restrictions liftingLatest updates: 18-39 year olds in Glasgow invited to get vaccinations early because of rising cases rises as prime minister urges cautionIgnore lockdown easing to curb Indian variant, health experts urgeEngland ban on indoor gatherings ‘may need to be reimposed’Scotland urged to stay cautious as restrictions are easedHow Covid measures across Britain are changing‘Labour shortage’ as Covid and Brexit fuel exodus of overseas workersGlobal coronavirus live blog – latest updates 1.01pm BST Tony Blair, the former Labour prime minister, has said the young should be vaccinated early in places with an upsurge in Covid cases. Backing the approach being taken formally in Glasgow (see 11.16am), and informally in Bolton, he told Times Radio:I think, yes, absolutely you should take a differentiated approach, which is perfectly natural as you get into the final stages of the vaccination rollout. There are some areas, that will be bigger priorities than others, and it’s probably sensible when you go into those areas not simply to vaccinate the risk population, which is usually the more elderly population, but also to make sure that you’re reaching the younger people as well who can spread it.Taking a more varied approach to the way we do the vaccine rollout at this stage, given the problems and the challenge of Indian variant, is absolutely sensible. 12.48pm BST Britain has come top of an international survey of places where people are willing to have the coronavirus vaccine, YouGov says.Britain continues to top the list of nations where people are willing to/already have been vaccinated 90% 87% 84% 83% 82% 82% 78% 77% 77% 77% 76% 76% 76% 71% 71% 69% 66% 63% 60% 40% 37%https://t.co/BgXMDASwX8 Continue reading...
< Coronavirus, Politics, UK news, Health, Infectious diseases, Boris Johnson, Sadiq Khan, Tony Blair >
- Breitbart News 14:15May 17, 2021Four Arrested After 'F*** the Jews', 'Rape Their Daughters' Car Protest in LondonFour men have been arrested by London's Metropolitan Police after footage emerged on social media which appeared to show a motorcade of anti-Israel activists calling for the rape of Jewish people's daughters.
< Crime, Israel / Middle East, London / Europe, anti-Jewish, anti-Jewish racism, anti-semitism, antisemitism, Boris Johnson, Community Cohesion, diversity, Gaza, Gaza Strip, Islamic anti-semitism, Israel, Israel-Palestinian conflict, Israeli-Palestinian conflict, jeremy corbyn, Jewish people, Keir Starmer, London, London Metropolitan Police, Mass Migration, Metropolitan police, Multiculturalism, Palestine, Palestinians, Rape, sadiq khan, Social Cohesion, United Kingdom >
- Breitbart News 14:54May 12, 2021Turkey's Erdogan Tells Putin: Israel Needs a 'Strong and Deterrent Lesson'Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Wednesday told Russian President Vladimir Putin the international community should “give Israel a strong and deterrent lesson” as punishment for responding so strongly to deadly Palestinian terror rocket attacks.
< Israel / Middle East, London / Europe, Politics, Hamas, Imran Khan, Israel security, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, Russia, terror rockets, Turkey, Vladimir Putin >