- Breaking Defense 23:45January 14, 2022Army ‘well on its way’ to first OCONUS cloud in Indo-PacificArmy CIO Raj Iyer said the service is moving away from “traditional ways” of pulling data as it looks to build “a Command Post Computing Environment of the future.”
< All Domain, Land Warfare, Networks / Cyber, All Domain Operations, Army, cloud, Command Post Computing Environment, Multi-Domain Task Force, network modernization, Raj Iyer >
- Breaking Defense 22:55January 14, 2022DARPA wants to build slimmer, enhanced night vision gogglesThe Pentagon’s blue-sky R&D agency chose 10 partners to help make goggles easier on soldiers’ necks and expand vision in the dark.
< Land Warfare, Pentagon, darpa, Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, night vision >
- Breaking Defense 21:46January 13, 2022Army tactical network modernization has ‘significant’ momentum going into 2022: Official“The future network must be high-speed, it must be high-capacity, it must be multi-path, and ubiquitous to the user,” said Brig. Gen. Jeth Rey, director of the Army’s Network Cross-Functional Team.
< All Domain, Land Warfare, Networks / Cyber, All Domain Operations, army modernization, common data fabric, Gen. Robert Collins, Jeth Rey, Network Cross Functional Team, network modernization, PEO-C3T >
- Breaking Defense 20:17January 13, 2022Russia’s defense industry might not survive an invasion of UkraineRussian industry is already struggling with sanctions and export limits. An invasion of Ukraine could be disastrous for them – and, politically, might spell doom for Vladimir Putin’s regime.
< Air Warfare, Global, Land Warfare, rostec, Russia, SU-75 Checkmate, Ukraine, Vladimir Putin >
- Breaking Defense 16:41January 13, 2022Collins focusing on JADC2 with recent demonstrationsThe goal of the demonstration was to show how integrated technologies and joint connectivity can support warfighters by providing actionable data and increased situational awareness, the company said.
< All Domain, Land Warfare, Networks / Cyber, All Domain Operations, Army Cross-Functional Network Team, future vertical lift, Future Vertical Lift Cross Functional Team, Integrated Tactical Network, Joint All Domain Command and Control, radios >
- Breaking Defense 23:36January 12, 2022Yearlong CR would ‘irreversibly delay’ nuclear modernization programs: service chiefsThe Ground Based Strategic Deterrent, Columbia-class ballistic submarine and B-21 bomber could all face delays under a yearlong continuing resolution, service officials said.
< Air Warfare, Congress, Land Warfare, Naval Warfare, Pentagon, Space, B-21, Columbia-class submarine, continuing resolution, fy22 defense spending bill, Ground Based Strategic Deterrent GBSD, Long range Standoff Missile, nuclear, trident II D5 >
- Breaking Defense 18:02January 12, 2022China grumbles as Japan, Aussies ink treaty to meld forcesJapan’s ambassador to Australia, Shingo Yamagami, made pretty clear that China was a driving force behind the treaty’s approval, noting the two nations must “increase deterrence.”
< Air Warfare, Global, Land Warfare, australia, China, darwin, Indo-Pacific, Japan, NATO, Pacific >
- Breaking Defense 15:12January 10, 2022Army awards $2.7B fire control systems contract for its Next Generation Squad WeaponsThe Next Generation Squad Weapons program is one of the Army’s 35 modernization priorities.
< Land Warfare, 31 Army priority programs, Army, army modernization, Next Generation Squad Weapon, PEO Soldier >
- Breaking Defense 23:26January 6, 2022Biden expected to name 18th Airborne Corps commander to CENTCOMKurilla currently serves as command of the Army’s 18th Airborne Corps.
< Land Warfare, Pentagon, 18th Airborne Corps, Central Command, Gen. Erik Kurilla, US Central Command >
- Breaking Defense 18:48January 4, 2022Army DEVCOM names first permanent chief technology officerThe new CTO will focus on integrating DEVCOM’s research and technology efforts.
< Land Warfare, Army, Army Futures Command, army modernization, Army Research Laboratory, CCDC >
- Breaking Defense 23:05January 3, 2022Marines mulling interceptor upgrade for MADIS to counter UASPart of the Pentagon’s broader counter UAS strategy it published last year, the Marines hope to field a system by fiscal 2025.
< Land Warfare, Naval Warfare, Christopher Miller, CUAS, drones, GBAD, MADIS, marines, SUAS, Unmanned >
- Breaking Defense 14:35January 3, 2022Wrapping up 2021 and looking forward to 2022 with the Breaking Defense teamWhat you may have missed from the last year, and what you need to read as 2022 kicks off.
< Air Warfare, Land Warfare, Naval Warfare, Networks / Cyber, Pentagon, Space, Year in Review 2021 >
- Breaking Defense 17:45December 30, 2021It’s ‘delivery time’ on JADC2: 2022 PreviewIts unclear how much the Pentagon is spending on JADC2 and it needs to provide examples of progress next year.
< Land Warfare, Networks / Cyber, Pentagon, Advanced Battle Management System, common data standards, Deputy Defense Secretary Kathleen Hicks, JADC2, Joint All Domain Command and Control, Project Convergence 21, Project Overmatch, Year in Review 2021 >
- Breaking Defense 16:42December 29, 2021For the Army, looming budgets and multi-domain everything: 2022 PreviewHere’s the key Army storylines we’ll be tracking at Breaking Defense next year.
< Land Warfare, 2022 budget, Army Multi-Domain Operations, Christine Wormuth, fiscal year 2022 budget, Gen. James McConville, JLTV, multi-domain operations, Project Convergence, Project Convergence 21, Year in Review 2021 >
- Breaking Defense 22:11December 27, 2021The Army fought to balance new capabilities with tight budgets: 2021 In ReviewNew capabilities that will transform an Army balancing tight budgets in 2021.
< Land Warfare, 2022 budget, Army, army modernization, Christine Wormuth, Project Convergence 21, Year in Review 2021 >
- Breaking Defense 15:04December 27, 2021Popular in defense: Breaking Defense’s most read stories in 2021WASHINGTON: Breaking Defense is honored to count among its readers key policymakers, practitioners and top industry officials in the sprawling world of defense — those in the know, for whom JADC2 is not some inscrutable acronym but something totally logical to say to one another. With that comes a great gift for reporters: we are…
< Air Warfare, Land Warfare, Naval Warfare, Pentagon, Space, China, darpa, F35, Fractional Orbital Bombardment System FOBS, hypersonic, socom, Wedgetail, Year in Review 2021 >
- Breaking Defense 21:02December 24, 2021I got to leave my house and have fun with the Army: 5 Stories From 2021WASHINGTON: The US Army is in the midst of a generational modernization effort, a budget crunch and pivoting away from the Middle East to focus on threats in China and Russia. But that’ll be the focus of a different end of year piece. For this one, we can just have fun. Here are the stories…
< Land Warfare, Networks / Cyber, Army, Future Attack Reconnaissance Aircraft / FARA, Project Convergence 21, Unmanned, Year in Review 2021 >
- Breaking Defense 15:35December 24, 2021Hunting vulns, from cars to drones: 5 Stories From 2021From the Taliban’s takeover of Afghanistan to cyber threats posed by cars on military bases, networks and cyber had another interesting year.
< All Domain, Land Warfare, Naval Warfare, Networks / Cyber, Pentagon, artificial intelligence, China, Hack The Machine: Unmanned, IDF, JADC2, Joint All Domain Command and Control, NORAD, northcom, Taliban, Year in Review 2021 >
- Breaking Defense 04:07December 24, 2021Army awards Northrop Grumman $1.4 billion contract for IBCSNorthrop Grumman will deliver 160 Integrated Battlefield Command Systems.
< All Domain, Land Warfare, air and missile defense, All Domain Operations, IBCS, JADC2, Joint All Domain Command and Control, Northrop Grumman, PEO Missiles and Space >
- Breaking Defense 21:06December 23, 2021Army to industry: What technologies will increase our ability to drive electrification to the tactical edge?[Sponsored] The Army’s on-the-horizon electric, tactical wheeled vehicles need to align with the commercial market so that industry can both build and sustain them.
< Land Warfare, Sponsored Post, All-Electric Military Concept Vehicle, Army, electric vehicles, GM Defense, GM Defense Gamechanger 2, sponsored content >
- Breaking Defense 19:52December 22, 2021Army hosts Plugfest-ivus at new PNT labThe Open Innovation Lab evaluated industry solutions for the Army’s CMOSS program.
< Land Warfare, Networks / Cyber, aberdeen proving ground, APNT, Army, CMOSS, open innovation lab, PEO-IEWS >
- Breaking Defense 20:18December 17, 2021Here’s the Army’s 24 programs in soldiers’ hands by 2023The Army boasts that about two-thirds of its modernization priority programs will be in various stages of prototyping by fiscal 2023.
< Land Warfare, Air and Missile Defense Cross Functional Team, army modernization, Army Rapid Capabilities & Critical Technologies Office (RCCTO), Gen. James McConville, Long Range Precision Fires Cross Functional Team, Network Cross Functional Team, Next Generation Combat Vehicle Cross Functional Team, Soldier Lethality Cross Functional Team, Synthetic Training Environment Cross Functional Team >
- Breaking Defense 19:12December 16, 2021France wants to transform its ‘beautiful’ army for high-intensity warfareAs Gen. Eric Laval recently put it, “Today the French Army is beautiful, but in a high intensity conflict, would it be able to hold beyond 48 hours?”
< Global, Land Warfare, europe, france, French Army >
- Breaking Defense 23:42December 15, 2021Marines’ Berger sidelines AAV from waterborne ops despite improvementsThe suspension comes months after an investigation into an accident that left eight Marines and one sailor dead.
< Land Warfare, Naval Warfare, AAV, acv, Gen. David Berger, Maj. Jim Stenger, marines >
- Breaking Defense 21:04December 15, 2021NDAA passes Senate at $740 billion; heads to Biden’s deskThe legislation includes funding increases for deterrence initiatives in the Indo-Pacific and Europe, and approves Air Force efforts to divest of some legacy aircraft.
< Air Warfare, Congress, Global, Land Warfare, Naval Warfare, Pentagon, 2022 NDAA, Air Force, European Deterrence Initiative, F-35, Pacific Deterrence Initiative >
- Breaking Defense 17:03December 15, 2021Tactical cloud coming to Army’s Multi-Domain Task Forces in 2022The service’s cloud and data efforts will be “anchored” to the Multi-Domain Task Forces as the Army looks to ensure data is accessible and resilient in combat.
< Land Warfare, Networks / Cyber, Army, cloud, Gen. John Morrison, Multi-Domain Task Force, Multi-Domain Task Force / MDTF, network modernization, Raj Iyer >
- Breaking Defense 17:21December 14, 2021BAE Systems, Inc., CEO Tom Arseneault on COVID, JADC2 and defense budget optimism“I think there’s not going to be an appetite for large scale M&A in in the defense industry,” the BAE Systems Inc. CEO said, while noting smaller add-ons will continue.
< Land Warfare, Networks / Cyber, BAE Systems, COVID-19 coronavirus, industry, mergers and acquisitions, Reagan Defense Forum 2021, Tom Arseneault >
- Breaking Defense 16:18December 14, 2021How digital systems integration makes future vertical lift more capable and affordable for the Army[Sponsored] The future of Army aviation depends on major improvements in aircraft speed, range, and reliability. Bell’s vision to ensure these programs enhance national security and are affordable relies on digital engineering and modeling to integrate missions and air vehicle systems with sustainment in mind so they all meld together in advance of manufacturing to reduce risk.
< Land Warfare, Sponsored Post, Army, Bell, Bell 360 Invictus, Digital Dialogue Future Vertical Lift Bell, Future Attack Reconnaissance Aircraft / FARA, Future Long-Range Assault Aircraft / FLRAA, Future Vertical Lift / FVL, Joint Multi-Role Technology Demonstrator / JMR-TD, Modular Open System Approach / MOSA, Pilotage Distributed Aperture / PDAS, Presented by Bell, sponsored content, V-280, V-280 Valor >
- Breaking Defense 22:19December 13, 2021Resolute Dragon: US Marine-Japanese exercise is a precursor to 2022 Indo-Pacific eventResolute Dragon 2021 is one of the largest joint military exercises conducted between the US and Japan, and directly influences the Pacific-wide Exercise Keen Edge.
< Global, Land Warfare, Naval Warfare, 3rd Marine Division, Col. Matthew Tracy, Exercise Resolute Dragon 2021, Japan, Japanese Self-Defense Force, JSDF, Keen Edge, marines, USMC >
- Breaking Defense 21:20December 13, 2021Electric vehicles for military just a ‘matter of timeline’: BAE Systems CEO“I think once the benefits of it are seen … the norms will change and we’ll see good uptake there,” Tom Arseneault said.
< Land Warfare, BAE Systems, ground vehicles, hybrid electric, Reagan Defense Forum 2021, Tom Arseneault >
- Breaking Defense 17:10December 13, 2021Download our Project Convergence eBookBreaking Defense reporting about what the service did during PC21, what it found, and how much further it still has to go.
< Land Warfare, Networks / Cyber, Army, cyber, eBrief, JADC2, Joint All Domain Command and Control, Maxar Technologies, PC21, Project Convergence, Project Convergence 21, Project Convergence eBook, technology >
- Breaking Defense 06:12December 13, 2021South Korea boosts ties with Aussies; OKs $1 billion defense dealThe howitzer deal may help South Korea in the much larger competition for Australia’s replacement for the M113 Armored Personnel Carriers.
< Global, Land Warfare, ASEAN, australia, Australian Prime Minister, China, Comprehensive Strategic Partnership, rare earth, rare earth elements, Scott Morrison, south korea, South Korean President >
- Breaking Defense 21:19December 10, 2021‘Elevating’ hidden ideas: Inside the Army’s Dragon’s Lair invention contest“Ideas are out there,” Col. Joe Buccino said, referring to the 2 million-plus people who serve in the military. “It’s just a matter of finding them.”
< Land Warfare, 18th Airborne Corps, Army, Dragon's Lair, Fort Bragg, Innovation >
- Breaking Defense 16:23December 9, 2021Modernizing Army ground mobility with commercial derivatives[Sponsored] By leveraging a commercial truck platform for the Army’s Infantry Squad Vehicle, GM Defense hasn’t developed just one tactical vehicle, but a family of vehicles to meet multiple, tactical mission needs.
< Land Warfare, Sponsored Post, All-Electric Military Concept Vehicle, GM Defense, GM Defense In Focus 2021, Infantry Squad Vehicle ISV, Presented by GM Defense, sponsored content, tactical vehicles >
- Breaking Defense 13:00December 9, 2021General Atomics unveils new ‘Mojave’ drone with 16 Hellfire missilesWhile still seeking customers in the US military, General Atomics president Dave Alexander says several unnamed international parties are interested in latest deadly remotely controlled aircraft.
< Air Warfare, Land Warfare, armed overwatch, Army, drone, General Atomics, Mojave, MQ-1C Gray Eagle, MQ-9 Reaper, Special operations >
- Breaking Defense 22:51December 8, 2021Not enough US ‘defensive capabilities’ in Asia: US Army Japan commanderCiting China, North Korea and Russia, Maj. Gen. Joel Vowell said he’d “champion for […] a more integrated air and missile defense protection in the first island chain.”
< Global, Land Warfare, air and missile defense, Army, Army Integrated Air and Missile Defense, Gen. Joel Vowell, Iron Dome, patriot missile, US Army Japan >
- Breaking Defense 16:02December 7, 2021What would it take to defend Ukraine? Potentially, billions of dollars.Mark Cancian of CSIS takes a look at two strategies for US military deployment to deter Russia – and how realistic they may be.
< Global, Land Warfare, Mark Cancian, op-ed. op-eds. commentary, Russia, Ukraine >
- Breaking Defense 16:57December 6, 2021Naval Electrification: “A critical part of The Kill Chain”[Sponsored] What the US Navy is doing now to electrify, why it’s vital to the Great Power competition, and advances in batteries and energy storage.
< Land Warfare, Sponsored Post, LDRS Spotlight 2021, Leonardo DRS, naval electrification, naval warfare, Presented by Leonardo DRS, sponsored content, Spotlight >
- Breaking Defense 15:39December 6, 2021Diagnosing robots from afar: Army nears phase 2 in unmanned vehicle sustainment programWithout a soldier in the driver’s seat, the Army wants high-tech sensors to sound the alarm when something is wrong, or even predict when it will be.
< Land Warfare, Army, Army Applications Laboratory, Army Futures Command, GM Defense In Focus 2021, Robotic Combat Vehicle >
- Breaking Defense 22:05December 4, 2021Top Army officer ‘very, very concerned’ about Russian military buildup near Ukraine borderThe Kremlin could be preparing a multi-front invasion of Ukraine early next year, US intelligence reportedly says.
< Congress, Global, Land Warfare, Army Chief of Staff, Crimea, Eastern Ukraine, Gen. James McConville, Reagan Defense Forum 2021, Russia, Russia sanctions, Sen. Joni Ernst >
- Breaking Defense 17:00December 3, 2021Israeli firms hope to cash in on international unmanned ground vehicle marketIsraeli firms are looking to partner with or procure American companies and produce their robot vehicles in the US.
< Global, Land Warfare, Israel, Israel Aerospace Industries IAI, unmanned ground vehicles >
- Breaking Defense 16:19December 3, 2021Army Heavy Lift: An enduring capability for the Great Power Competition[Sponsored] Heavy lift modernization to help enable all-domain operations needs to progress.
< Land Warfare, Sponsored, Army, Boeing, Boeing Chinook Spotlight 2021, CH-47 Chinook, FARA, FLRAA, Future Attack Reconnaissance Aircraft / FARA, Future Long-Range Assault Aircraft / FLRAA, Future Vertical Lift / FVL, multi-domain operations, Presented by Boeing, sponsored content, Spotlight >
- Breaking Defense 18:48December 2, 2021Poll: Trust in US military declines as worry over China risesWASHINGTON: A majority of Americans view China has the biggest national security threat to the United States, while trust in the American military continues to erode, according the Reagan Institute’s annual National Defense Survey. The poll found that 52% of Americans see China as a top threat, up from just under 40% in the February…
< Global, Land Warfare, Pentagon, Afghanistan war, China, Indo-Pacific, Pacific MMR 2021, Reagan Defense Forum 2021, Reagan Institute, Reagan Institute National Defense Survey 2021 >
- Breaking Defense 23:20December 1, 2021Wormuth: Here’s what the Army would do in a Pacific fightAs “linchpin service,” Army sees logistical, communications and, yes, combat roles in possible conflict.
< Land Warfare, Army, China, Christine Wormuth, command and control, CSIS, Indo-Pacific, Pacific MMR 2021, Secretary of the Army >
- Breaking Defense 23:36November 30, 2021Oshkosh Defense to build another 1,600 JLTVs for the ArmyThe award comes ahead of the Army’s $6.5 billion recompete of the contract next year.
< Land Warfare, Army, Combat Vehicles, JLTV, Joint Light Tactical Vehicle, Oshkosh Defense, PEO CS & CSS >
- Breaking Defense 23:12November 29, 2021Pentagon’s Global Posture Review emphasizes China, but lacks major strategic changesRather than a large shift in resources and plans, the review, which looked at US troop locations and capabilities across the globe, ultimately concluded that no major strategic changes are needed.
< Air Warfare, Global, Land Warfare, Naval Warfare, Pentagon, Department of Defense, global posture review, Indo-Pacific, Pacific MMR 2021, President Joe Biden >
- Breaking Defense 17:04November 29, 2021Army plans to turn on first hybrid electric Bradley in January“If this works, we would use this kind of technology and apply it as we look at our requirements for other vehicles in the future,” said Stan Darbro, deputy director of the Army RCCTO.
< Land Warfare, Army, Army Rapid Capabilities & Critical Technologies Office (RCCTO), Bradley Fighting Vehicle, electric, GM Defense In Focus 2021, hybrid electric >
- Breaking Defense 15:32November 24, 2021Italy’s Army modernization finally seeing movement after years of delaysItaly’s budget has been in flux for years, with Army modernization being delayed. A trio of vehicles may be ready to turn that tide.
< Global, Land Warfare, europe, ground vehicles, Italy, NATO >
- Breaking Defense 00:05November 24, 2021Saab’s CEO wants a shot at an AWACS replacement competition“Of course, I would like to be part of an open competition when it comes to airborne early warning and surveillance,” Saab CEO Micael Johansson said. “But whether that’s possible or not in the US, I don’t know.”
< Air Warfare, Global, Land Warfare, Boeing, E-3 Sentry, GlobalEye, Gripen, SAAB, T-7A Red Hawk, Wedgetail >
- Breaking Defense 16:25November 23, 2021Networks as ‘center of gravity’: Project Convergence highlights military’s new battle with bandwidthIn desert experiments, Army races to develop tactics for transferring data — and realizes high-def video can create potentially fatal data bottlenecks.
< All Domain, Land Warfare, Networks / Cyber, 82nd Airborne, All Domain Operations, Army Futures Command, Future Vertical Lift Cross Functional Team, Gen. Chris Donahue, Gen. Walter Rugen, integrated visual augmentation system, IVAS, JADC2, Joint All Domain Command and Control, network, Network Cross Functional Team, Next Generation Combat Vehicle Cross Functional Team, Project Convergence, Project Convergence 21 >