- Breaking Defense 02:57August 10, 2022Army cyber, space and special operations commands integrating under new ‘triad’ concept“We have examples in the counter-ISIS fight of combining lethal and non-lethal effects for a much larger holistic effect that I would say had a larger impact than anyone predicted prior to us truly synchronizing our efforts for having an effect on the adversary there,” he said.
< Land Warfare, Networks / Cyber, Space, Army Cyber Command, Army Space and Missile Defense Command, SMD 2022, US Army Special Operations Command USASOC >
- Breaking Defense 23:52August 9, 2022Boeing, Nammo successfully test Ramjet air-breathing, longer-distance artilleryThe recent test verified the projectile’s flight stability and propulsion system. Next up: guided flight.
< Land Warfare, Boeing, Extended Range Artillery Munitions Suite ERAMS, Nammo, ramjets, SMD 2022 >
- Breaking Defense 21:01August 9, 2022SPACECOM integrating Army, Navy sensors to improve space monitoringSPACECOM now has “joint integrated space teams” at the other 10 combat commands to support the Joint Force, Gen. Jim Dickinson, the command’s head, said.
< Land Warfare, Naval Warfare, Space, Gen. James Dickinson, global sensor management, SMD 2022, Space and Missile Defense Command, space command, space domain awareness SDA, Space Surveillance Network SSN, Unified Command Plan UCP >
- Breaking Defense 19:52August 8, 2022In Biden’s new Africa strategy, China and Russia linger in the backgroundThe US is “very concerned” about Russian mercenaries in some countries, and about China’s growing influence. But the strategy reflects much broader concerns about the future.
< Global, Land Warfare, Pentagon, africa, Biden administration, Russia, Ukraine >
- Breaking Defense 21:44August 4, 2022Army ground vehicle lab researches different batteries in quest for electrified fleetBattery research programs at the Army’s Ground Vehicle System Center will help the Army’s transition to hybrid and electric vehicles allowing quieter, longer duration operations.
< Land Warfare, army modernization, batteries, electric, Ground Vehicle Systems Center, hybrid electric, JLTV >
- Breaking Defense 19:30August 3, 2022Israel to spend $150 million on laser defenses, after US hesitationSources said Israel had hoped Biden’s visit would be an opportunity to convince the US to pitch in its own cash.
< Air Warfare, Global, Land Warfare, iron beam, Iron Dome, Israel, Joe Biden, Middle East >
- Breaking Defense 23:24August 2, 2022State Department approves $5 billion in missile defense for UAE, Saudi ArabiaAny missile defense capabilities heading to the region are notable in the wake of a new agreement between Israel and a number of Arab nations around missile defense.
< Air Warfare, Global, Land Warfare, Defense Counterintelligence and Security Agency DCSA, Israel, Middle East, Middle East Air Defense Alliance, Patriot, saudi arabia, thaad, UAE >
- Breaking Defense 23:02August 2, 2022In Army, worry follows Senators’ proposed cuts to network, comms upgrades: OfficialThe cuts suggested by the committee will set back progress made by the Army on its network and radio modernization efforts, a service official told Breaking Defense.
< All Domain, Land Warfare, Networks / Cyber, All Domain Operations, Capability Set 23, Defense Budget 2023, Senate Appropriations Committee >
- Breaking Defense 20:23August 2, 2022US Army successfully tests Iron Dome at White Sands Missile RangeThe Israeli-made system successfully knocked down cruise missile threats during the testing run by the US Army.
< Air Warfare, Land Warfare, air and missile defense, Air and Missile Defense Cross Functional Team, army modernization, IFPC, Iron Dome, Rafael, White Sands Missile Range >
- Breaking Defense 22:42July 29, 2022Russia pulls some Wagner forces from Africa for Ukraine: Townsend“Russia is very stretched … as they’re doing what they’re doing in Ukraine so I don’t think they have a lot of bandwidth to launch new adventures in Africa,” said AFRICOM commander Stephen Townsend.
< Global, Land Warfare, AfriCom, counter terrorism, Gen. Stephen Townsend, UK Ministry of Defence, wagner group >
- Breaking Defense 21:27July 29, 2022With Ukraine on the mind, France and Germany buying, upgrading artilleryFrance will purchase Caesar howitzers to replace those “loaned” to Ukraine, while Germany seeks to upgrade its own rocket artillery system.
< Global, Land Warfare, artillery, france, Germany, howitzers, Russia, Ukraine >
- Breaking Defense 12:15July 29, 2022Poland’s massive tank, artillery and jet deal with S. Korea comes in shadow of Ukraine warThe deal covers the purchase of 1,000 K2 tanks, 672 K9 self-propelled howitzers, and 48 FA-50PL light combat aircraft, with production benefits for Poland as well.
< Air Warfare, Global, Land Warfare, howitzers, hyundai, KAI, Mariusz Blaszczak, Poland, south korea, T-50, tanks >
- Breaking Defense 18:56July 28, 2022Senate appropriators seek $850 billion for defense, largest total of 4 key committeesThe figure is well beyond the $773 billion requested by the White House, as senators say they’re battling inflation and accounting for troop pay raise and competition from Russia and China.
< Air Warfare, Congress, Land Warfare, Naval Warfare, Networks / Cyber, Pentagon, Space, 2023 NDAA, Defense Budget 2023, Rep. John Tester, sen. patrick leahy >
- Breaking Defense 18:31July 28, 2022More proactive posture on table as New Zealand begins new defense reviewNew Zealand is considering a less defensive posture in the region, but whether it can afford to meet its goals remains a question.
< Air Warfare, Global, Land Warfare, Naval Warfare, Indo-Pacific, Jacinda Ardern, new zealand >
- Breaking Defense 17:25July 28, 2022Way up in the air: World View looks to expand customer base for its ‘Stratollite’ balloonThe company has demonstrated the capability to do ‘pattern of life’ monitoring, staying over a 40 kilometer area for more than four days, said CEO Ryan Hartman.
< Air Warfare, Land Warfare, Space, AFWerX, Air Force Special Operations Command, airships, Army, balloons, intelligence surveillance and reconnaissance, remote sensing >
- Breaking Defense 22:06July 27, 2022Army ‘encouraged’ by IVAS test despite ‘challenges,’ FLRAA decision may come in October“I think there’s further work to do to improve the system. But we saw a lot of positive things as a test,” the Army’s top acquisition official said of IVAS, before separately noting a potential delay in a major future helicopter program contract.
< Land Warfare, Networks / Cyber, army modernization, ASAALT, Bell Textron, Doug Bush, FLRAA, IVAS, Sikorsky, Sikorsky-Boeing >
- Breaking Defense 20:21July 27, 2022Iranian drones could make Russia’s military more lethal in UkraineThe US and its allies should prepare Ukraine, and better constrain Iran, write analysts from FDD.
< Air Warfare, Global, Land Warfare, drones, Foundation for Defense of Democracies, iran, op-ed commentary, Russia, Ukraine >
- Breaking Defense 13:14July 26, 2022EU investing millions in new missile range extension program MARSEUSThe project, which could cost up to €27.3 million, is coordinated through the European Defence Fund and involves an industrial consortium of 14 partners.
< Global, Land Warfare, Akeron missile, Beyond Line of Sight / BLOS, European Defence Fund, European union, long range fires, MARSEUS, MBDA >
- Breaking Defense 13:13July 25, 2022South Korea offers Aussies new subs in 7 years to close Collins gapAs conversations at the Thursday dinner with the Korean ambassador, Jeong-sik Kang, and several senior Korean defense officials made crystal clear, any one defense program is less important to the Koreans than is building a broader and deeper defense relationship with Australia.
< Global, Land Warfare, Naval Warfare, AUKUS, Australian Defense, Australian nuclear attack submarines, Collins submarines, KSS-III submarine, south korea >
- Breaking Defense 22:26July 22, 2022After setting ultra-endurance record, Army Zephyr drone keeps flying, whether it wants to or notThe high-flying unmanned aerial vehicle has been above Arizona for more than a month, living on batteries, solar power and a prayer.
< Air Warfare, All Domain, Land Warfare, Airbus, All Domain Operations, APNT, Army, army modernization, ISR, Zephyr >
- Breaking Defense 20:01July 22, 2022At NetModX experiments, Army takes on contested communications“NetModX is a great testbed for us to kind of understand how our investments are working out as they graduate from a lab setting and make adjustments as needed to be able to get the most value out of those investment areas that we have,” Joseph Welch, director of the C5ISR Center, said.
< All Domain, Land Warfare, Networks / Cyber, All Domain Operations, Army C5ISR Center, Capability Sets, Joint All Domain Command and Control JADC2, NetModX, Network Cross Functional Team, project convergence 22 >
- Breaking Defense 22:35July 21, 2022Awaiting IVAS verdict, SASC directs Army to toy with ‘mixed-equipping’ night vision gogglesAn Army official recently said the service hasn’t finished analyzing the results from a critical IVAS test, still assessing best path forward for enhanced soldier vision.
< Land Warfare, army modernization, Defense Budget 2023, ENVG-B, Gabe Camarillo, IVAS >
- Breaking Defense 16:44July 21, 2022‘Bigger, faster, longer’: As market grows, loitering drone makers eye next evolution“The loitering munition market is going to evolve certainly,” Rafael’s Roman Palaria told Breaking Defense. “I personally believe that it’s a new market that is building up very quickly.”
< Air Warfare, Land Warfare, Aerovironment, Army, Farnborough 2022, Israel Aerospace Industries IAI, loitering munitions, Rafael, US Army Europe >
- Breaking Defense 19:51July 20, 2022Ukraine shows need for NATO ‘magazine depth’: Raytheon exec“That’s what Ukraine has proved. It really is important not only to have that deterrence capability, but to be able to have enough quantities. Because as we saw, stores get depleted very quickly,” Wes Kremer, president of Raytheon Missiles & Defense, said.
< Air Warfare, Global, Land Warfare, Farnborough 2022, Raytheon, Stinger, Ukraine >
- Breaking Defense 17:52July 20, 2022US, Netherlands ink agreement on future rotorcraft info sharing, including FARA, FLRAA“One of the pitfalls from the past was that we were focusing too much on national requirements instead of Alliance or coalition requirements,” said Maj. Gen. Andre Steur, national capability director in the Dutch Defence Ministry.
< Air Warfare, Global, Land Warfare, Pentagon, Army, army modernization, Doug Bush, Farnborough 2022, FLRAA, Future Attack Reconnaissance Aircraft / FARA, Future Vertical Lift Cross Functional Team, Gen. Walter Rugen, Netherlands >
- Breaking Defense 02:04July 19, 2022Senate Armed Services releases full $847 billion defense billThe bill, which boosts defense spending by $45 billion over the president’s request, now heads to the Senate floor.
< Congress, Land Warfare, Pentagon, Defense Budget 2023, Senate Armed Services Committee SASC >
- Breaking Defense 20:35July 15, 2022With new contract, Army’s integrated EW and intel system for brigades reaches next phaseLockheed Martin will deliver three prototypes of the vehicle-mounted technology suite under the new contract.
< All Domain, Land Warfare, All Domain Operations, army electronic warfare, Lockheed Martin, Terrestrial Layer System, Terrestrial Layer System-Brigade Combat Team >
- Breaking Defense 21:45July 8, 2022Army’s FARA-destined future helicopter engine passes first testAfter delays, the ITEP engine will start preliminary flight rating testing in the fall and the Army plans to make it available to FARA prototypes by November.
< Air Warfare, Land Warfare, AH-64 Apache, army modernization, Future Attack Reconnaissance Aircraft / FARA, Improved Turbine Engine Program, UH-60 Black Hawk >
- Breaking Defense 20:54July 8, 2022More HIMARS, new 155 mm artillery heading to UkraineAlong with four additional High Mobility Artillery Rocket Systems, Ukraine will receive a new, more precise form of 155mm artillery.
< Global, Land Warfare, Pentagon, artillery, HIMARS, Russia, Ukraine, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky >
- Breaking Defense 21:44July 7, 2022From shipyards to semiconductors, watchdog warns of Defense Industrial Base risksGAO raps Pentagon for relying on a strategy cobbled from four old documents.
< Land Warfare, Naval Warfare, Pentagon, defense industrial base, Government Accountability Office GAO, industrial base, semiconductors, shipyard, Supply Chain >
- Breaking Defense 21:01July 7, 2022Sikorsky: FARA prototype 90% complete, learning from S-97 Raider’s flying data“If we didn’t have an S-97, we’d have to wait another year-plus to be able to fly those data points and to inform our production design,” said Sikorsky’s chief engineer for the company’s Raider-X FARA offering.
< Air Warfare, Land Warfare, Army, army modernization, Bell Textron, FLRAA, Future Attack Reconnaissance Aircraft, Future Long Range Assault Aircraft, Future Vertical Lift / FVL, Sikorsky, Sikorsky-Boeing >
- Breaking Defense 21:28July 5, 2022For next OMFV phase, new competitors could join contest to replace BradleyThe Army released the RFP for the next two phases of the Bradley Fighting Vehicle on July 1, which could see some new entrants from abroad.
< Land Warfare, army modernization, Gen. Glenn Dean, Gen. Richard Ross Coffman, Next Generation Combat Vehicle Cross Functional Team, Optionally Manned Fighting Vehicle, PEO GCS >
- Breaking Defense 20:01June 30, 2022Randy George assigned as next Army vice chief, new leaders named in modernization officesThe announced assignments will see new faces heading to important acquisition posts in the Army.
< Land Warfare, Army Futures Command, army modernization, Army vice chief of staff, Gen. Gary Brito, Gen. Joseph Martin, Gen. Randy George, Gen. Richard Ross Coffman, Multi-Domain Task Force / MDTF, Next Generation Combat Vehicle Cross Functional Team, PEO Missiles and Space, TRADOC, US Army Europe >
- Breaking Defense 18:01June 30, 2022Seeking regional partners, UAE’s Edge Group wants to be ‘not just simply a vendor’: CEOThe conglomeration of 25 entities is focusing on drones, AI and munitions, CEO Mansour Almulla says.
< Air Warfare, Global, Land Warfare, Networks / Cyber, artificial intelligence, drones, EDGE Group, Interview, Middle East, UAE >
- Breaking Defense 19:26June 29, 2022US increasing troop presence in Europe, while new NATO strategy eyes China“We’re going to step up. We’re stepping up,” US President Joe Biden said. “We’re proving that NATO is more needed now than it ever has been and it’s as important as it has ever been.”
< Air Warfare, Global, Land Warfare, Naval Warfare, Pentagon, europe, Finland, Germany, Italy, Jens Stoltenberg, Joe Biden, NATO, Poland, Romania, Spain, Sweden >
- Breaking Defense 00:40June 29, 2022General Dynamics wins $1.14 billion Mobile Protected Firepower contractThe Mobile Protected Firepower program, a light tank for infantry brigades, is one of the Army’s top modernization priorities and the service’s first new design vehicle in 40 years.
< Land Warfare, army modernization, Doug Bush, Gen. Glenn Dean, Gen. Richard Ross Coffman, Infantry Brigade Combat Team, mobile protected firepower, Next Generation Combat Vehicle Cross Functional Team, PEO Ground Combat Systems >
- Breaking Defense 19:59June 28, 2022Army moves ahead with Palantir and Raytheon for next phase of TITANThe TITAN program is a tactical ground station that will process data from across space and land-based sensors using artificial intelligence and ship it off to the right shooter — such as one of the new Army long-range precision fires missiles.
< All Domain, Land Warfare, All Domain Operations, Joint All Domain Command and Control JADC2, Palantir, PEO-IEWS, project convergence 22, Raytheon, TITAN >
- Breaking Defense 16:59June 28, 2022Army, Sikorsky ink 10th Black Hawk multiyear deal, worth at least $2.3 billionIf all options are exercised, the contract value could be $4.4 billion.
< Air Warfare, Land Warfare, Army, PEO Aviation, Sikorsky, UH-60 Black Hawk >
- Breaking Defense 14:39June 28, 2022Eye on AUKUS & China, Australia cabinet extends terms for Defence Force chief, others“It’s not just the continuity. It’s the fact that if they changed people you would have risked some delays” as new leaders are brought up to speed, said Neil James, head of the non-partisan Australia Defence Association. “The big challenge for AUKUS has always been the timeline, and this could have affected it.”
< Air Warfare, Global, Land Warfare, Naval Warfare, AUKUS, Australian Chief of Defense Force, Australian Defense, Australian Defense Force, China, Gen. Angus Campbell, Richard Marles, Ukraine >
- Breaking Defense 18:20June 27, 2022Northrop, Raytheon selected to continue work on hypersonic missile interceptorThe Missile Defense Agency’s early-stage hypersonic missile defense program will move forward amid fears about China and Russia’s hypersonic capabilities.
< Land Warfare, Pentagon, Glide Phase Interceptor, hypersonic, missile defense agency, Northrop Grumman, Raytheon >
- Breaking Defense 13:32June 27, 2022Lawmakers push for directed energy weapons, suggest collaboration with IsraelHASC “believes that directed energy technology has matured to the point where it may be successfully deployed against current rocket, artillery, mortar, and cruise missile threats,” read one NDAA amendment.
< Congress, Global, Land Warfare, Defense Budget 2023, directed energy, HASC, House Armed Services Commitee, Middle East >
- Breaking Defense 16:50June 24, 2022A Middle East NATO? A missile defense network with Israel? Major shifts brewing in regionAfter Israel announced cooperative defense with Arab nations, many questions remain unanswered.
< Air Warfare, Global, Land Warfare, bahrain, Biden administration, Israel, saudi arabia, UAE >
- Breaking Defense 16:15June 24, 2022Israel to request more funding for laser missile defense R&D during Biden tripBy the time President Joe Biden arrives, Foreign Minister Yair Lapid will be serving as prime minister, with an election looming in the background of the discussions.
< Air Warfare, Global, Land Warfare, Foreign Military Financing, Israel, laser, Middle East, saudi arabia >
- Breaking Defense 13:31June 24, 2022House lawmakers ask Army: Who’s in charge of massive modernization program?After a directive confused some lawmakers, a provision in the NDAA threatens to nullify a potential shake-up of the Army’s acquisition bureaucracy if representatives don’t receive additional information about who’s doing what.
< Congress, Land Warfare, Army Futures Command, ASAALT, Christine Wormuth, Defense Budget 2023, House Armed Services Commitee, National Defense Authorization Act >
- Breaking Defense 12:25June 23, 2022Can European industry support Marcon’s ‘war-time economy?’ Firms are wary.“We need to have a European strategy for industry and innovation because it’s good for our industries and our industrialists, it’s good for employment in our countries, it’s good to have a capacity for innovation that is dual and that our economy needs, and it’s good for our strategic sovereignty,” said Emmanual Macron.
< Global, Land Warfare, Arquus, Emmanuel Macron, europe, Eurosatory 2022, nexter >
- Breaking Defense 17:04June 22, 2022US-made jets, air defense on Ukrainian fighter pilots’ wishlist, but not Grey Eagle“I’d say that the ground-based air defense was the key in this war, and it’s still the key [moving forward],” said a Ukrainian MiG-29 fighter squadron commander who goes by the callsign “Moonfish.”
< Air Warfare, Global, Land Warfare, Pentagon, Bayraktar UAV, f-16, grey eagle, mq-1c grey eagle, Russia, tb2, Ukraine >
- Breaking Defense 16:06June 22, 2022Army robotics official: More autonomy could ease battlefield bandwidth worries“What we’re trying to do is send as little information as possible that will allow you to build that battlefield visualization for the platoon,” Ted Maciuba, deputy director of robotics requirements at Army Futures Command, told Breaking Defense.
< All Domain, Global, Land Warfare, Pentagon, All Domain Operations, Army, autonomy, Joint All Domain Command and Control JADC2, Robots >
- Breaking Defense 16:48June 21, 2022Leonardo DRS to acquire Israeli firm RADA, eyeing counter-drone market“The conflict in Ukraine has underscored the vulnerability of forces to drone attacks and has highlighted the need for modern, capable force protection systems,” said Leonardo DRS head William Lynn.
< Global, Land Warfare, Networks / Cyber, industry, Israel, Leonardo DRS, Middle East, Rada >
- Breaking Defense 17:20June 20, 2022HASC chairman’s NDAA mark focuses on munitions, R&DStaffers briefing reporters ahead of the release emphasized a focus on the health of the munitions industrial base.
< Air Warfare, Congress, Land Warfare, Naval Warfare, 2023 budget, HASC, Rep. Adam Smith >
- Breaking Defense 21:12June 17, 2022Sweden buys more Archer truck-mounted artillery to boost defenseThe purchase of 24 additional systems comes with Sweden’s updated defense strategy and with the Ukraine conflict ever in the background.
< Global, Land Warfare, Eurosatory 2022, Russia, Sweden, Ukraine >