- Business Insider 14:58May 13, 2021Facebook moderators are told that singing karaoke might help them cope with filtering graphic, violent content, a worker said. 'You don't always feel like singing after you've seen someone battered to bits.'Wellness coaches for Facebook mean well, but "you don't always feel like singing ... after you've seen someone battered to bits," one moderator said.
< Tech Insider, Facebook, Moderators, Social Media, Tech Insider, Tech, Technology, Karaoke, painting, Facebook content moderation >
- Business Insider 15:45May 6, 2021Twitter now tells users to review their tweets to check for 'harmful or offensive' content before they postTwitter says the feature can distinguish between offensive content, sarcasm, and "friendly banter." It will also take user relationships into account.
< Tech Insider, Twitter, Twitter account, twitter users, Social Media, Tech Insider, Tech, Jack Dorsey, Tweet, Moderation >
- Business Insider 21:41April 7, 2021In a precedent-setting move, Amazon's Twitch will now police streamers for violence, extremism, terrorism, and other violations that happen offlineAmazon-owned Twitch has a new, precedent-setting policy that addresses the actions of streamers when they're offline.
< Tech Insider, News, Amazon, Twitch, Streaming, Moderation, Policy >
- WIRED Business 14:00March 31, 2021The Foundations of AI Are Riddled With ErrorsThe labels attached to images used to train machine-vision systems are often wrong. That could mean bad decisions by self-driving cars and medical algorithms.
< Business, Business / Artificial Intelligence, AI Hub, AI Hub / Application / Content moderation, AI Hub / Application / Face recognition, AI Hub / Application / Identifying Fabrications, AI Hub / Application / Text analysis, AI Hub / End User / Consumer, AI Hub / End User / Research, AI Hub / Sector / Consumer services, AI Hub / Sector / Finance, AI Hub / Sector / Health care, AI Hub / Sector / IT, AI Hub / Sector / Research, AI Hub / Source Data / Images, AI Hub / Source Data / Text, AI Hub / Technology / Machine learning, AI Hub / Technology / Machine vision, AI Hub / Technology / Natural language processing >
- Business Insider 15:38March 24, 2021Leaked Facebook moderation rules show the company is more lenient on bullying if the abuse is directed at celebritiesPeople defined as "Public figures" can have abuse targeted at them that Facebook would ordinarily take down, including "calls for [their] death."
< Tech Insider, Facebook, Moderation, Rules, Abuse, Social Media, Celebrities >
- Business Insider 21:06February 12, 2021Facebook is censoring messaging from the Myanmar military for spreading misinformation following a coupFacebook is censoring Myanmar's military communications, and accused it of spreading misinformation, following a coup on February 1.
< Tech Insider, News, Facebook, Mark Zuckerberg, Censorship, Moderation, Myanmar, Coup, Military Coup >
- Business Insider 08:05February 10, 2021Twitter accidentally locked GOP Rep. Devin Nunes out of his account because he failed its anti-spam filterTwitter said its automated systems took action in error after Nunes' account failed to complete a reCAPTCHA, and it has since reversed the suspension.
< Tech Insider, Devin Nunes, Twitter, content moderation, Politics >
- Business Insider 18:58February 4, 2021Parler's former CEO says he was fired for wanting to moderate right-wing extremism on the platformJohn Mazte says his firing was due to a disagreement with conservative donor Rebekah Mercer, who controls the right-wing social media app's board.
< Tech Insider, News, Parler, Tech, John Matze, Rebekah Mercer, Moderation, Social Media >
- Business Insider 01:55February 3, 2021Technology and society 'smashed together in a head-on collision.' Mozilla Foundation surveyed the wreckage.Racial justice, labor rights, and corporate accountability dominated headlines in 2020. A new report explores the role technology played.
< Tech Insider, Politics, Mozilla Foundation, Internet health, 20/20, racial justice, Racial Discrimination, Labor rights, Technology, Transparency, Data Privacy, Surveillance, Diversity and Inclusion, Gig economy, Mozilla, Social Media, content moderation, Free Speech >
- Business Insider 00:19January 31, 2021Facebook's 'Supreme Court' that has the power to overrule Mark Zuckerberg just handed down its first decisions - these are the Oversight Board's first 20 membersFacebook's $130 million "Supreme Court" has made its first rulings. These 20 people sit on the oversight board that can overrule even Mark Zuckerberg.
< Tech Insider, Politics, Features, Policy, Facebook, Moderation, Oversight Board, Supreme Court, Mark Zuckerberg, oversight >
- Business Insider 00:59January 29, 2021CEO Brian Chesky says Airbnb stopped being a 'hands-off' platform earlier than other tech companies because customers got 'physically hurt'Chesky said Airbnb took a tougher stand against bad actors, and reacting to the Capitol attacks, because it had dealt with real-world violence before.
< Tech Insider, AirBnB, Brian Chesky, CEO activism, Stakeholder Capitalism, Capitol Siege, Corporate Social Responsibility, content moderation, Racism, Racial Discrimination >
- Business Insider 19:40January 28, 2021Facebook's 'supreme court' just made its first rulings, and reinstated 4 posts the social network had removedThe oversight board was created in October as an independent unit to review difficult content moderation decisions that Facebook carries out.
< Tech Insider, News, Facebook, content moderation, tech companies, Social Media, Facebook Oversight Board >
- Business Insider 04:35January 27, 2021YouTube blocks Rudy Giuliani from earning ad dollars after he repeatedly pushed election misinformationThe move follows months of Giuliani spreading conspiracies, and comes as Trump's lawyer faces a $1.3 billion lawsuit from Dominion Voting Systems.
< Politics, Tech Insider, News, Advertising, Rudy Giuliani, YouTube, Dominion Voting Systems, Misinformation, Elections 2020, Politics, content moderation, Digital Advertising, Social Media >
- Business Insider 22:00January 25, 2021Twitter's new 'Birdwatch' feature will let users to sift through and add notes to misleading tweetsTwitter is enlisting the help of a small group of US users to vet tweets that could contain misinformation and add notes with "informative context."
< Tech Insider, News, Twitter, Social Media, Misinformation, content moderation >
- Business Insider 19:41January 17, 2021After Trump's Twitter ban, critics want other populists like Brazil's Jair Bolsonaro and India's Narendra Modi booted from social mediaCritics see tech platforms' Trump ban as an opportunity to deplatform other populist politicians who spread misinformation.
< Tech Insider, Weekend BI UK, content moderation, Trump twitter, Jair Bolsonaro, Twitter, Narendra Modi, Trump, Facebook >
- Business Insider 19:06January 17, 2021Selena Gomez emailed Sheryl Sandberg months before the Capitol siege to highlight US militia group activity on FacebookThe actress told Facebook's COO Sheryl Sandberg that major tech firms needed to crack down on political lies and violent speech.
< Tech Insider, Weekend BI UK, Selena Gomez, Facebook, Capitol Siege, content moderation, QAnon, Three Percenters, Militia Movements >
- Business Insider 01:12January 14, 2021Parler claims in antitrust lawsuit that Amazon said it was 'definitely in this journey' with the controversial social media platform until Capitol riotsParler pushed back on Amazon's claims that it put the app on notice back in November, claiming Amazon didn't express concerns until January 8.
< Tech Insider, Politics, News, Markets, Enterprise, Parler, Amazon, AWS, Antitrust, Section 230, Lawsuits, content moderation, Free Speech, Capitol Siege >
- Business Insider 07:40January 13, 2021YouTube removes Trump videos and bans him from uploading new content for a minimum of 7 days, citing 'ongoing potential for violence'YouTube said President Donald Trump's channel now has its first strike and that comments will be disabled over "safety concerns."
< Tech Insider, Politics, News, Election 2020, YouTube, Capitol Siege, Donald Trump, Social Media, Google, content moderation >
- Business Insider 03:04January 9, 2021Apple threatens to ban far-right social media platform Parler from its App Store amid complaints it was used to 'plan, coordinate, and facilitate' attempted insurrectionApple told Parler it must implement a plan for moderating the platform within 24 hours or the app would be removed, BuzzFeed News reported.
< Tech Insider, Politics, News, Markets, Parler, Apple, App Store, Capitol Siege, Misinformation, Hate Speech, content moderation, 2020 Elections >
- Business Insider 06:46January 7, 2021Facebook censored its employees' discussion over whether to ban Trump from the platform after the president attempted to incite an insurrectionFacebook blocked comments on multiple internal posts where employees had been criticizing its response to Trump's posts, BuzzFeed News reported.
< Tech Insider, Politics, News, Facebook, Capitol Siege, Donald Trump, Mark Zuckerberg, Misinformation, content moderation >
- Business Insider 17:57December 14, 2020Pornhub purges millions of unverified videos amid allegation of hosting child pornographyPornhub says it's deleting all videos from unverified creators, part of its ongoing response to allegations that the platform hosts illegal content.
< News, Tech Insider, PornHub, MindGeek, Child Pornography, pornography, Moderation, MasterCard, Visa >
- Business Insider 05:59December 14, 2020Facebook reportedly hasn't banned a violent religious extremist group in India because it fears for its business prospects and staff's safetyFacebook has been reluctant to enforce its rules in India over fears of political and even physical backlash, according to The Wall Street Journal.
< Tech Insider, Facebook, India, Hate Speech, Hate Groups, BJP, Mark Zuckerberg, content moderation, violent extremism >
- Business Insider 10:15December 11, 2020Facebook reportedly told its ad reviewers to ignore fraud and hacked accounts as long as 'Facebook gets paid'An investigation by BuzzFeed News revealed how Facebook consistently prioritized making money over enforcing advertisers' violations of its policies.
< Tech Insider, Politics, News, Mark Zuckerberg, Facebook, Disinformation, Political ads, political advertising, Advertising, Scams, content moderation, Accenture >
- Business Insider 07:27November 26, 2020Facebook's AI-fueled attempt to block bad ads is hurting legitimate small business owners — and its 'pay-to-play' customer support is leaving them stranded ahead of the holiday shopping seasonWhen Facebook incorrectly bans ads, smaller advertisers say they pay the price because of slow, opaque, and inconsistent customer support.
< Tech Insider, Advertising, Media, Retail, Facebook, Facebook Ads, Facebook Advertising, Advertising, Advertisers, Digital Advertising, Social Media, content moderation, AI >
- Business Insider 22:36November 16, 2020Congress will grill the CEOs of Facebook and Twitter on Tuesday during a hearing on content moderation hearing — here's how to watch and what to expectRepublicans will likely slam the CEOs over how Facebook and Twitter handled a New York Post story about Joe Biden's son.
< Tech Insider, Politics, Twitter, Facebook, Section 230, content moderation, Senate >