- Business Insider 03:52September 22, 2021The House approves a measure to avoid government shutdown and debt default, but McConnell is poised to torpedo it in the SenateThe passage of the bill does little to resolve the standoff between Democrats and Republicans as the US veers into a potential government shutdown.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Policy, Nancy Pelosi, Mitch McConnell, Republicans, Democrats, White House, Joe Biden, Congress, National Debt, Debt Ceiling, Economy >
- Business Insider 20:42September 21, 2021Biden's economic agenda in 'significant danger' of collapse. The worst-case scenario for the 2022 midterms is inching closer.Biden needs results not just to transform the economy, but to have something to run on. "The party's future depends on getting this bill done."
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Nancy Pelosi, Chuck Schumer, Republicans, Democrats, National Debt, Default, Mitch McConnell, AOC, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, ACA', Government shutdown, Policy, Economy >
- Business Insider 20:06September 20, 2021The White House says no to minting a $1 trillion coin to sidestep McConnell and ease debt ceiling standoff in CongressThe White House is closing an option to defuse a showdown in Congress over paying America's bills, with the GOP refusing to budge.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, White House, Mint the Coin, Joe Biden, Republicans, Democrats, Trump administration, Treasury Department, Janet Yellen, Trillion Dollar Coin, Default, National Debt, Social Security, Policy, Economy >
- Business Insider 13:15September 19, 2021The Biden administration could sidestep McConnell's refusal to pay off America's bills by minting a $1 trillion platinum coinThe government could technically mint a coin and decide it's worth $1 trillion. No more debt ceiling stand-off.
< Economy, Markets, Politics, Biden administration, Mint the Coin, Congress, Mitch McConnell, senate republicans, National Debt, Debt Ceiling, Barack Obama, Obama Administration, Trillion Dollar Coin, Economy >
- Business Insider 19:43September 17, 2021White House warns states of potential big cuts to Medicaid, school lunch and disaster relief programs if the US government defaults on its debtMitch McConnell has dug in on refusing GOP help to lift debt ceiling, raising odds of a showdown that could cause a recession.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Joe Biden, Mitch McConnell, Biden administration, Republicans, Debt Ceiling, National Debt, Medicaid, free school meals, Disaster relief, jen psaki, senate republicans, Democrats, Economy, Policy >
- Business Insider 17:26September 15, 2021Mitch McConnell warns that Republicans won't back down from vow to force Democrats to raise debt ceiling alone: 'Do you guys think I'm bluffing?'McConnell is determined to resist Democratic pressure to raise the debt ceiling alongside them. The showdown could derail the economic recovery.
< Economy, Politics, Mitch McConnell, Congress, Republicans, Democrats, Debt Ceiling, White House, Joe Biden, National Debt, Nancy Pelosi >
- Business Insider 22:03September 2, 2021Kevin McCarthy claims 'the debt and China' are the 'greatest threats' to the US after Trump oversaw a $7.8 trillion national debt increaseMcCarthy pushed the GOP's 2017 tax cuts, which are expected to add almost $2 trillion to the debt over 10 years.
< Politics, News, Kevin McCarthy, Debt, National Debt, China, Deficit spending, Andy Kiersz, BI Graphics >
- Business Insider 02:38August 25, 2021Top House Republican signals GOP lawmakers won't support lifting the debt ceiling and instead force Democrats to renew US's ability to pay the billsHouse Republicans may follow McConnell's lead in opposing a debt ceiling increase, arguing Democrats are recklessly spending.
< Economy, Politics, Kevin Brady, Congress, Republicans, Democrats, White House, Biden administration, Donald Trump, Debt Ceiling, National Debt >
- Business Insider 01:41August 12, 2021Biden dismisses GOP threats to not cooperate with Democrats on lifting debt ceiling: 'Nope, they're not going to let us default'Both parties are on the verge of a clash, given that Republicans are refusing to raise the debt limit as they did under Trump.
< Economy, Politics, Joe Biden, Mitch McConnell, Ron Johnson, National Debt, Debt Ceiling, Debt Limit, Infrastructure, Reconciliation, senate republicans, Susan Collins, Senate, Congress >
- Business Insider 18:47August 10, 2021Mitch McConnell joins the bipartisan Senate gang voting for Biden's $1 trillion infrastructure billMcConnell joined other Senate Republicans in approving Biden's infrastructure bill, but he won't support a $3.5 trillion Democratic spending plan.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Mitch McConnell, Joe Biden, White House, Republicans, Democrats, Biden administration, infrastructure bill, National Debt, Policy, Economy >
- Business Insider 23:36August 5, 2021Inside Senate Republicans' dismissal of Trump as he tries to torpedo Biden's infrastructure bill from the sidelinesSen. John Thune told Insider he disagrees with Trump. "You want to celebrate successes no matter when they happen." Other Republicans agree with him.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Policy, Donald Trump, Mitch McConnell, Republicans, Democrats, infrastructure bill, Reconciliation, Trump administration, National Debt, Biden administration, Economy, Bill Cassidy, John Thune, John Cornyn >
- Business Insider 00:03August 3, 2021The US Treasury is now paying off the government bills' because Congress missed an important deadlineRepublicans are balking at raising the debt ceiling, as they did under Obama. Yellen is using "extraordinary measures" in the meantime.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Congress, Joe Biden, Donald Trump, Biden administration, Debt Ceiling, National Debt, Deficit, Treasury Department, Mitch McConnell, Policy, Economy >
- Business Insider 20:08July 30, 2021INTERVIEW: Joe Manchin says he's 'very much concerned' about inflation and the national debt. He's not committing to Democrats' $3.5 trillion spending plan yet.Manchin supports advancing a Democratic-only approach to infrastructure, but hasn't decided whether to support the hefty price tag.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Joe Manchin, Inflation, National Debt, Reconciliation, Congress, Republicans, Democrats, Biden infrastructure, senate republicans, Policy, Economy, Kyrsten Sinema >
- Business Insider 22:06July 23, 2021Janet Yellen says Treasury is prepared to pay the US's bills to prevent 'irreparable harm' to the economy as GOP balks at raising debt ceilingMcConnell threatened this week to not support raising the debt ceiling. Democratic Sen. Brian Schatz told Insider "we will not negotiate over it."
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Janet Yellen, Mitch McConnell, Treasury Department, Debt Ceiling, National Debt, Joe Biden, Donald Trump, Barack Obama, Treasury, Policy, Economy >
- Business Insider 00:33July 22, 2021Democrats slam Mitch McConnell for taking economy 'hostage' by rallying GOP against extending US's ability to pay its bills on timeRepublicans previously supported raising the debt ceiling under President Trump. Now they're opposing it under Biden.
< Economy, Politics, Mitch McConnell, senate republicans, Congress, Democrats, White House, Debt Ceiling, National Debt, infrastructure bill, Reconciliation >
- Business Insider 21:10July 21, 2021Trump ally Sen. Ron Johnson says he hasn't been 'particularly successful' in Congress because the debt soared and Obamacare survived under GOP leadershipThe Wisconsin Republican, who's been endorsed by Trump, says he hasn't yet decided whether to run for reelection next year.
< Politics, News, Donald Trump, Ron Johnson, Wisconsin, Republicans, GOP, Misinformation, National Debt, Obamacare >
- Business Insider 17:21July 21, 2021Mitch McConnell says GOP won't strike a deal with Democrats for the US to pay its bills on time, raising risk of derailing the economic recoveryRepublicans voted to raise the debt ceiling under President Trump. They're taking a harder line as Democrats prepare massive spending plans.
< Economy, Politics, Mitch McConnell, Janet Yellen, Joe Biden, Congress, Republicans, Democrats, National Debt, Debt Ceiling, Donald Trump, infrastructure bill, Stimulus, Federal Debt, Policy >
- Business Insider 23:45July 13, 2021Joe Manchin doubles down on refusing to add to the deficit to fund a Democrat-only infrastructure plan"We've put enough free money out," Manchin told reporters, adding he would only back an infrastructure package that was fully financed by tax revenue.
< Economy, Politics, Joe Manchin, Congress, Republicans, Democrats, White House, Coronavirus relief, Infrastructure, National Debt, Deficit spending >
- Business Insider 15:58July 3, 2021THE 600-WORD INTERVIEW: Anti-Trump House Republican Adam Kinzinger on his uncertain political future and his appetite for a '$1 kajillion' billRep. Adam Kinzinger voted to impeach former President Donald Trump and has spoken about Republican members of Congress who secretly hate Trump.
< Politics, Economy, Adam Kinzinger, National Debt, Federal Deficit, Donald Trump, BI Commentary, Republican Party >
- Business Insider 16:03May 9, 2021Wall Street boogeymen known as 'bond vigilantes' have haunted Democrats for decades. But Biden has a chance to exorcise those demons, reshape the economy, and tackle climate change.Joe Biden wants to raise taxes to "pay for" his massive infrastructure plan, but this is a huge mistake - he should just pay for it with debt instead.
< Opinion, Economy, Markets, Politics, Bond Vigilante, Wall Street, Joe Biden, Climate Change, National Debt, Federal Deficit, Debt, BI Commentary, permalancer, Opinion, BI Graphics, Samantha Lee >
- Business Insider 15:50April 24, 2021Senate GOP moves closer to picking a fight over the debt. Democrats condemn it as 'Obama-era economic sabotage'Republicans have adopted a resolution to raise the debt ceiling in exchange for spending cuts or reductions in Social Security and Medicare.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Congress, Mitch McConnell, Republicans, Democrats, National Debt, Trump administration, Donald Trump, Joe Biden, Barack Obama, Federal Debt, Stimulus, infrastructure bill, Policy, Economy >
- Business Insider 21:21April 19, 2021The US national debt isn't actually very high, BofA saysBank of America says nominal GDP isn't the best comparison to use for federal debt, citing research from Larry Summers and Jason Furman.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Policy, Economy, Politics, National Debt, Debt, GDP, Bank of America, Jerome Powell, Federal Reserve, Trump, Jason Furman, Larry Summers, BofA research >
- Business Insider 22:45April 13, 2021The White House may put some of Biden's infrastructure plan on America's credit cardDemocrats may deficit-spend as Republicans attack Biden's efforts to raise taxes. "His only red line is inaction," Press Secretary Jen Psaki said.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Policy, Republicans, Democrats, National Debt, Deficit, Joe Biden, Mitch McConnell, Infrastructure, Jobs, Trump tax cuts, Economy, Corporate Tax, corporate tax reform, Corporate Tax Rate, Corporate taxes >
- Business Insider 00:29April 7, 2021Biden breaks with Trump and says he'll stick up for Federal Reserve's independenceWhile he was in office, Trump pressured Fed Chair Powell against raising interest rates - the central bank traditionally operates independently.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Joe Biden, Donald Trump, Trump administration, Biden administration, Jerome Powell, Federal Reserve, Treasury, Janet Yellen, Interest Rates, National Debt, Policy, Economy, Interest Rate, Inflation Expectations, inflation expectation, inflation risk, inflation risks >
- Business Insider 21:19March 29, 2021The real answer to whether the national debt is too big lies with Treasury yields, UBS saysIf yields rise too much too quickly, the interest the US pays on its debt could force Congress to "question sustainability," UBS economists said.
< Economy, Markets, Economy, Janet Yellen, Government Debt, National Debt, Federal Debt, US Debt, US Deficit, Jerome Powell, seth carpenter, UBS >
- Business Insider 15:25March 28, 2021Biden is splitting with Obama on the economy and the proof is in their stimulus plans"This is just incredibly different," said Obama DOL veteran Heidi Shierholz. "If my 2010 self could see just how different we're handling this."
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Policy, Economy, Biden stimulus, Stimulus, President Barack Obama, President Joe Biden, coronavirus recovery, coronavirus stimulus, Jason Furman, Claudia Sahm, Economic Recovery, Infrastructure, infrastructure bill, Jerome Powell, Inflation, inflation risk, Inflation Expectations, National Debt >
- Business Insider 21:43March 25, 2021Biden says Republicans suddenly care about the national debt now that a Democrat's in the White House"When the federal budget is saving people's lives, they don't think it's such a good idea" to spend more, Biden said. He also talked Trump's tax cuts.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Policy, Republicans, Joe Biden, National Debt, Debt, Mitch McConnell, Stimulus, Infrastructure, Economy >
- Business Insider 15:10March 21, 2021Democratic efforts to spend big on infrastructure and jobs are already colliding into a wall of Republican oppositionDemocrats may bypass the GOP to enact a follow-up infrastructure and jobs package through reconciliation, the procedure used for the Biden stimulus.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Joe Biden, Congress, Democrats, Republicans, Infrastructure, Roads, highways, Jobs, Taxes, Stimulus bill, Stimulus spending, Coronavirus relief, coronavirus recovery, Nancy Pelosi, Bernie Sanders, Economy, Policy, Bill Cassidy, Barack Obama, National Debt, Federal spending, Transportation >
- Business Insider 23:31March 16, 2021McConnell just ruled out any Republican support for tax hikes to pay for a Biden infrastructure packageThe Senate Minority Leader's comments set the stage for Democrats to bypass the GOP on a follow-up economic recovery bill, similar to the stimulus.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Congress, Republicans, Mitch McConnell, Democrats, Joe Biden, Infrastructure, Stimulus, National Debt, Jobs, Climate Change, House, Senate, Policy, Economy, Ben Cardin, Bernie Sanders, Reconciliation >
- Business Insider 02:15March 13, 2021House Democrats kick off work on an infrastructure package after enacting Biden's stimulus planNancy Pelosi's announcement starts the clock on hammering out the thorny details of a multitrillion-dollar infrastructure bill.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Congress, Democrats, Nancy Pelosi, House Democrats, Republicans, Infrastructure, Stimulus, National Debt, Deficit, Joe Biden, Direct payments, Policy, Economy >
- New York Magazine 04:30March 11, 2021The Three Dumbest Arguments Against Biden’s Stimulus BillThe ideas that Democrats are “ramming” a “liberal wish-list” that the country cannot afford don’t bear much scrutiny.
< politics, covid-19 stimulus, national debt, partisanship, budget reconciliation, liberal wish-list, joe biden, republicans, ron johnson, mitch mcconnell >
- Business Insider 17:15February 20, 2021Democrats are planning at least another $2 trillion in stimulus spending, shrugging off fears of growing debtSenate Republicans are likely to press for targeted spending, which could spark a clash in Congress over the price tag of another stimulus package.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Joe Biden, Nancy Pelosi, Chuck Schumer, Stimulus, Coronavirus relief, Direct payments, Infrastructure, infrastructure spending, analysis, Republicans, Democrats, National Debt, Stimulus spending, Economy, Policy >