- Breaking Defense 21:33September 21, 2021OpenSpace: Using Software, Not Hardware, To Reconfigure The Satellite Ground Segment For A 5G World[Sponsored] Diversifying space architectures and the need for interoperability is driving a shift to dynamic, flexible, software-based infrastructure.
< Networks / Cyber, Sponsored, 5G, 5G networks, AFA Air Space Cyber 2021, commercial satellite communications, cyber, devsecops, GEO, ISR, JADC2, Kratos, Kratos AFA, LEO, OpenSpace, Phil Carrai, Presented by Kratos, satellites, space, sponsored content, technology, zero trust, zero trust architecture >
- Breaking Defense 16:00September 21, 2021DoD Spending On JADC2 Jumps, With Increased Focus On Interoperability: ReportGovini’s Billy Fabian said that for some JADC2 problems, the DoD has a “closing window… before the next generation of capabilities are too far along in development. Otherwise, it risks making its interoperability challenges even worse.”
< All Domain, Networks / Cyber, Pentagon, 5G networks, AI, Air Battle Management System ABMS, air force, Army, C2, C4I, communications, defense budget, Defense Department, Department of Defense, interoperability, JADC2, Joint All Domain Operations, Joint All-Domain Command and Control / JADC2, Military Networks, milsatcom, navy, networks, Project Convergence, Project Overmatch, research and development, satcom >
- Breaking Defense 15:30September 21, 2021JADC2 Hinges On Decision Superiority[Sponsored] Agile, open networks will let the DoD make command decisions faster, distribute its forces, and operate at a standoff distance to counter new weaponry like hypersonic missiles.
< Networks / Cyber, Space, Sponsored Post, AFA Air Space Cyber 2021, AI, air force, all-domain, artificial intelligence, Battlefield Airborne Communications Node BACN, cyber, darpa, Defense Department, Department of Defense, Digital, DOD, DyNAMO, f-16, hypersonics, JADC2, Machine Learning / ML, multi-domain, Presented by Raytheon Intelligence & Space, Raytheon Intelligence & Space, Raytheon RIS CJADC2, satcom, space, sponsored content, Tactical Intelligence Targeting Access Node TITAN, technology, TITAN, U.S. Air Force >
- Breaking Defense 11:45September 21, 2021Israel Wants To Put New Equipment Inside The F-35: Exclusive Q&A With Top OfficerTEL AVIV: Israeli’s air force has asked the US to allow greater access to the core avionics of the F-35 joint strike fighters, with the goal of installing new Israeli-developed systems onto the stealth fighter, according to a top Israeli officer. “The effort is to find the right balance between the US restrictions and the…
< Air Warfare, Global, Networks / Cyber, AFA Air Space Cyber 2021, F-35, F35 joint strike fighter, IAF, iran, Israeli air force, Israeli F-35I Adir, middle east, nir barkan >
- Breaking Defense 19:20September 17, 2021DoD Buys Two New Supercomputers That Rank Among Its Most Powerful EverThe two new supercomputers, according to the company, will provide DoD with a combined total of over 365,000 cores, more than 775 terabytes of memory, and a total of 47 petabytes of high-performance storage.
< Networks / Cyber, Pentagon, AI, Air Force DSRC, artificial intelligence, Defense Department, Department of Defense, High Performance Computing Modernization Program HPCMP, IT modernization, Kevin Newmeyer, machine learning, Navy DSRC, networks, Penguin Computing, quantum computing, supercomputers >
- Breaking Defense 01:38September 17, 2021USG Warns Of ‘Critical’ Vulnerability That Poses ‘Serious Risk’ to Defense Contractors, Others“The FBI, CISA, and CGCYBER assess that advanced persistent threat cyber actors are likely among those exploiting the vulnerability,” the joint advisory notes.
< Global, Networks / Cyber, Coast Guard Cyber Command, CyberAttack, CyberAttacks, cybersecurity, Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Agency CISA, FBI, Zoho's ManageEngine, Zoho's ManageEngine hack >
- Breaking Defense 22:56September 15, 2021Tempest Fighter to Wield Flying ‘Excalibur’ Lab for Digital Dominance“Our focus is to get the sensors and information architecture correct. We might have to change other capabilities out for that if necessary,” said Jez Holmes, Head of the RAF’s Rapid Capabilities Office.
< Air Warfare, Global, Networks / Cyber, BAE, DSEI 2021, Leonardo, rolls royce, Sweden, Team Tempest, Tempest fighter, united kingdom >
- Breaking Defense 14:15September 15, 2021Three Objectives For The UK Military’s FutureA new concept of operation is the “source code” of the UK military’s future, a top officer said this week.
< Global, Networks / Cyber, british, DSEI 2021, gray zone, patrick sanders, united kingdom >
- Breaking Defense 21:13September 14, 2021Al-Qaida Fears in Afghanistan, But China Takes Spotlight for IC LeadersOne senior official said he wants his agency to have the urgency about China the way the US had urgency about counterterrorism after 9/11.
< Global, Networks / Cyber, Pentagon, afghanistan, China, CIA, counterterrorism, cybersecurity, DIA, FBI, Havana Syndrome, information warfare, intelligence community, middle east, NGA, NRO, nsa, ransomware, Russia >
- Breaking Defense 16:28September 14, 2021UK Signs Up For Anduril AI Base Defense Technology“This is not how the MoD has ever done business, but its trying to adopt some of the best practices of the commercial marketplace,” said Paul Hollingshead, head of UK and NATO effort at Anduril.
< Global, Land Warfare, Networks / Cyber, air defense, Anduril Industries, artificial intelligence, C-UAS, Counter-UAS, CUAS, DSEI 2021, Lattice, united kingdom >
- Breaking Defense 21:14September 10, 2021Project Convergence: Exercise Shows Value In Data Weapons Check For The Digital Age“Data is the new ammunition, and we have to test fire our digital systems just like we test fire our weapons systems,” writes Ret. Gen. Richard Cody.
< All Domain, Land Warfare, Networks / Cyber, aberdeen proving ground, All Domain Operations, Army, army cyber, combined joint all domain command and control (CJADC2), JADC2, Joint Systems Integration Laboratory JSIL, marines, op-ed. op-eds. commentary >
- Breaking Defense 17:05September 10, 2021NC3 Vulnerabilities Risk Nuclear War In Asia, APLN Study Finds“There is a reason, however, that David slung his stone into the forehead of Goliath rather than his musculature. Without a head connected to a body, a nuclear force is useless,” the new study by the Asia-Pacific Leadership Network states.
< Global, Networks / Cyber, Nuclear Weapons, Pacific, arms control, asia, asia-pacific, cybersecurity, early warning satellites, national technical means, NC3 Next, New START Treaty, Nuclear Command Control and Communications NC3, nuclear weapons >
- Breaking Defense 14:15September 10, 2021Future Air, Space Force Tech Demos To Focus On INDOPACOM, SPACECOM“Our secretary has been very clear that he wants us to move rapidly from experimentation and demonstration to fielding,” says Air Force Chief Architect Preston Dunlap.
< Air Warfare, All Domain, Networks / Cyber, Space, 2020 NDAA, Advanced Battle Management System, Agile Combat Employment, All Domain Operations, Frank Kendall, Indo-Pacific Command, Joint All Domain Command and Control, Preston Dunlap, space acquisition, space command >
- Breaking Defense 22:00September 9, 2021DoD To Update Satellite Cyber Rules For MegaconstellationsSpace Force’s is to allow for “increased trust in industry” to assess their own systems’ cybersecurity needs, “while doing due diligence” in reviewing whether those assessments are reliable, said Jared Reece.
< Networks / Cyber, Space, 5G, commercial satellite communications, Commercial Satellite Communications Office (CSCO), commercial satellite imagery, cybersecurity, intelligence surveillance and reconnaissance, National Institute of Standards and Technology, proliferated LEO, Satellite 2021, Space Policy Directive-5 >
- Breaking Defense 23:42September 8, 2021JADC2 Implementation Plan ‘Weeks Away’: J6’s Parker“Joint always seems fun until we get into decisions about who governs this,” joked Army CIO Raj Iyer.
< All Domain, Land Warfare, Networks / Cyber, Pentagon, afghanistan, Afghanistan war, AI, Army Enterprise Digital Strategy, artificial intelligence, big data, Brig. Gen. Robert Parker, cloud computing, cybersecurity, devsecops, identity credential access management icam, J6, JADC2, JAIC, JEDI, Joint All Domain Command and Control, Joint Artificial Intelligence Center, Joint Common Foundation, Joint Warfighting Cloud Capability JWCC, networks, Raj Iyer, zero trust, zero trust architecture, zero-trust security >
- Breaking Defense 22:34September 8, 2021Like a Cell Phone Plan: Army Tees Up SATCOM Services PilotServices bought from industry eventually “could include everything from a piece of hardware to the operations center to the bandwidth,” Brig. Gen. Rob Collins told the SATELLITE 2021 conference today.
< Land Warfare, Networks / Cyber, Space, Army, Col. Shane Taylor, commercial satellite communications, Gen. Robert Collins, Integrated Tactical Network ITN, PEO-C3T, Satellite 2021, Sustainment Tactical Network >
- Breaking Defense 17:00September 8, 2021Global Chinese Influence Campaign Sought To Spark Protests In US: Mandiant Report“This direct call for physical mobilization is a significant development compared to prior activity, potentially indicative of an emerging intent to motivate real-world activity outside of China’s territories,” Mandiant researchers noted.
< Global, Networks / Cyber, China, cybersecurity, information operations, information warfare, Mandiant Threat Intelligence, networks >
- Breaking Defense 22:11September 7, 2021DoD Forms New Task Force To Shore Up Supply Chain“A comprehensive strategic approach will take time, dedicated attention, and resources,” DoD official Gregory Kausner said.
< Global, Networks / Cyber, Pentagon, Defense Critical Supply Chain Task Force, Gregory Kausner, Jesse Salazar, microelectronics, RAMP-C, Rapid Assured Microelectronics Prototypes using Advanced Commercial Capabilities RAMP, Supply Chain Executive Order, supply chain resiliency, Supply Chain Resiliency Working Group, supply chain risk, supply chain security >
- Breaking Defense 17:40September 3, 2021STRATCOM Commander Warns Of China-Russia Coordination; Report Details AI Collaboration“Our findings expose gaps between Chinese and Russian aspirations and the reality on the ground, bringing greater accuracy and nuance to current assessments of Sino-Russian cooperation,” on AI, notes a new report by the Center for Security and Emerging Technology.
< Global, Networks / Cyber, AI, artificial intelligence, Center for Security and Emerging Technology, China, Hudson Institute, Navy Adm. Charles "Chas" Richard, Russia, STRATCOM, Strategic Command >
- Breaking Defense 22:36September 2, 2021HASC NDAA Markup Adds Slew Of Cyber, IT, Spectrum Initiatives“If there’s one overarching theme of our approach this year, it’s to transform where we’re heading and focus on technology and innovation and how to start using that better,” HASC Chair Smith said in opening remarks.
< Congress, Networks / Cyber, Pentagon, 2022 National Defense Authorization Act, 2022 NDAA, 5G, AI, artificial intelligence, cybersecurity, Defense Budget 2022, electromagnetic spectrum, Electromagnetic Spectrum Superiority Strategy 2020, electronic warfare, HASC, HASC Subcommittee on Cyber Innovative Technologies and Information Systems (CITI), house armed services committee, information assurance, information operations, JADC2, Joint All Domain Command and Control, microelectronics, networks >
- Breaking Defense 15:15September 2, 2021ABMS To Focus On INDOPACOM, SPACECOM Needs“Our secretary has been very clear that he wants us to move rapidly from experimentation and demonstration to fielding,” says Air Force Chief Architect Preston Dunlap, who manages ABMS development.
< Air Warfare, All Domain, Networks / Cyber, Space, 2020 NDAA, Advanced Battle Management System, Agile Combat Employment, All Domain Operations, Frank Kendall, Indo-Pacific Command, Joint All Domain Command and Control, Preston Dunlap, space acquisition, space command >
- Breaking Defense 21:52September 1, 2021China’s New Data Security Law Will Provide It Early Notice Of Exploitable Zero DaysThe law’s vulnerability disclosure provisions will give the Chinese government a head start on remediating — and potentially exploiting — zero-day vulnerabilities, potentially to include those discovered in tech used by the Defense Department, Intelligence Community, and across the US public and private sectors more broadly.
< Global, Networks / Cyber, asia, bug bounty, China, China Data Security Law, Cyber Law, cyber policy, cyber strategy, CyberAttack, CyberAttacks, cyberespionage, cybersecurity, Cybersecurity and Cyberwar, Dakota Cary, Dean Cheng, lawfare, legal warfare, Microsoft Exchange Hack, Vulnerability Disclosure Policy, zero day vulnerability >
- Breaking Defense 23:39August 31, 2021Combatant Commands Worry About Service JADC2 Stovepipes“One of the challenges that I see with JADC2 is: is it really joint? Or is it SADC2 — in other words, is it really just a service all domain command and control?” quipped George Ka’iliwai, director of requirements and resources (J8), at Indo-Pacific Command headquarters.
< All Domain, Networks / Cyber, Advanced Battle Management System, All Domain Operations, Global Information Dominance Experiments (GIDE), Indo-Pacific Command, Joint All Domain Command and Control, Joint Warfighting Concept, northern command, Project Convergence, Project Overmatch >
- Breaking Defense 20:20August 30, 2021Army Issues Big RFP For IT To Bolster Network ModernizationThe RFP comes as the Army is undertaking a major, multi-year network modernization initiative.
< All Domain, Land Warfare, Networks / Cyber, acquisition, All Domain Operations, Army, Army Computer Hardware Enterprise Software and Solutions CHESS, army modernization, Gen. Peter Gallagher, Information Technology Enterprise Solutions - 4 Hardware ITES-4H, JADC2, Joint All Domain Command and Control, network modernization >
- Breaking Defense 19:30August 27, 2021SDA Opens Contest For First Operational ConstellationSDA intends to choose three contractors next year to design and build up to 144 new satellites.
< Networks / Cyber, Space, Link-16, National Defense Space Architecture, optical intersatellite links, radio frequency, Space Development Agency, Space Symposium 2021, Transport Layer >
- Breaking Defense 18:59August 26, 2021HASC Budget Markup Creates Cyber Info Sharing Capabilities, DISA Cyber Procurement OfficeNotably, the bill calls for private sector engagement in developing new cyber threat sharing capabilities.
< Congress, Networks / Cyber, Pentagon, 2022 NDAA, cyber threat intelligence, cybersecurity, Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Agency CISA, Defense Budget 2022, Defense Information Systems Agency, Department of Homeland Security, DISA, HASC, House Armed Services Commitee, information sharing, National Security Agency, nsa >
- Breaking Defense 23:20August 25, 2021DoD Launches New Zero-Trust Security Portfolio Office; CIO Talks PrioritiesThe new portfolio office is slated for October, Pentagon CIO John Sherman said, while also giving updates on the Spectrum Strategy implementation plan and the cyber workforce strategy.
< All Domain, Networks / Cyber, Pentagon, 2020 Electromagnetic Spectrum Superiority Strategy, All Domain Operations, All Domain Series 2020, Artificial Intelligence & Data Acceleration (AIDA), Defense Information Systems Agency, DISA, DoD CIO, electromagnetic spectrum, electromagnetic spectrum domain, electromagnetic spectrum operations, electronic warfare, HASC Subcommittee on Cyber Innovative Technologies and Information Systems (CITI), house armed services committee, identity credential access management icam, JADC2, John Sherman, Joint All Domain Command and Control, Joint All-Domain Command and Control / JADC2, Joint Warfighting Cloud Capability JWCC, Rep. Jim Langevin, software modernization, software-defined networking, Thunderdome, zero trust, zero trust architecture, zero trust model, zero-trust security >
- Breaking Defense 16:45August 24, 2021Afghanistan’s Precarious Networks: Will The Taliban, Once Again, Go Dark?The Taliban now faces a decision: Ban the internet as the group did during its first rule, while hindering its propaganda windfall and other online activities, or leave the country’s networks intact, opening an avenue for US electronic surveillance.
< Global, Networks / Cyber, afghanistan, Afghanistan war, China, comint, cybercom, CyberCommand, cybersecurity, electronic eavesdropping, electronic surveillance, information warfare, intelligence, National Security Agency, networks, nsa, Russia, SIGINT >
- Breaking Defense 17:20August 23, 2021Navy Poised To Issue RFP For Afloat Network OverhaulThe competition will bring in multiple companies to compete for work to maintain the Navy’s afloat network for the next 10 years.
< Naval Warfare, Networks / Cyber, C4I, CANES, cybersecurity, Northrop Grumman DMO In Focus 2021 >
- Breaking Defense 18:27August 19, 2021A Vision for Better, Faster C2 Decision-Making Across All DomainsFor the future fighting concept, “we must shift from domain-centric to mission-centric effects, planning and execution. And that has to start with rethinking our C2 from the ground up,” writes Scott Lee of MITRE.
< All Domain, Networks / Cyber, All Domain Operations, C2, command and control, MITRE, op-ed. op-eds. commentary >
- Breaking Defense 23:31August 18, 2021UX: Making Military Systems Warrior Friendly[Sponsored] The common and shared need to understand and improve UX is a DoD-wide imperative.
< Networks / Cyber, Sponsored Post, cyber, Department of Defense, DOD, eBrief, Military Systems, technology, user experience / UX, Visual Logic, Visual Logic Custom >
- Breaking Defense 19:32August 18, 2021Army Hammers Out Multi-Domain Ops Doctrine: Capstone FM 3-0 Due Next SummerPhase Zero isn’t “peace” any more in Army’s capstone doctrine. The new model “recognizes that you’re continuously conducting operations and there is no peace. It’s just competition,” says Rich Creed, head of the Army’s Combined Arms Doctrine Directorate.
< All Domain, Land Warfare, Networks / Cyber, All Domain Operations, All Domain Series 2020, Army, China, Indo-Pacific Command, multi-domain operations, Russia, Training and Doctrine Command >
- Breaking Defense 16:20August 18, 2021Northrop, L3 Demonstrate JADC2-Enabling Network Tech“Having an exquisite solution is really exciting, but if it takes 10 years to bring to bear for the warfighter, and it’s limited to only a few platforms, it’s much less compelling,” Northrop’s Ian Reynolds observed.
< All Domain, Networks / Cyber, All Domain Operations, cyber, IT modernization, Joint All-Domain Command and Control / JADC2, Joint Warfighting Concept, L3Harris Technologies, networks, Northrop Grumman >
- Breaking Defense 00:31August 18, 2021Microsoft Expands Its Space Cloud With New SES-Boeing MEOsatsThe full constellation of next-gen O3b mPower satellites is expected to be on-orbit by 2023, said SES CEO Steve Collar.
< Networks / Cyber, Space, Boeing, cloud, Microsoft Azure, O3b, ses, space-based Internet >
- Breaking Defense 22:40August 16, 2021Amid Space Race, Cybersecurity And Resiliency Remain Concerns: ExpertsThe space rush will result in tens of thousands of new assets launched within the decade, which will create a “truly enormous” cyber attack surface, said Sam Visner, a technical fellow at the MITRE Corporation.
< All Domain, Networks / Cyber, Space, All Domain Operations, All Domain Series 2020, artificial intelligence, cyber resiliency, cybersecurity, Cybersecurity and Cyberwar, Joint Warfighting Concept, machine learning, space, space resiliency, supply chain risk, zero trust, zero trust architecture, zero trust model >
- Breaking Defense 15:29August 16, 2021On-Demand Satcom Customized For All-Domain Operations[Sponsored] Intelsat’s satellite services provide options to address a variety of missions, including all-domain defense operations, border security management, and disaster/humanitarian relief.
< Networks / Cyber, Sponsored Post, all-domain defense operations, border security management, C4ISR, Command, Command Control Communications Computers Intelligence Surveillance Reconnaissance / C4ISR, communications, Computers, Control, cyber, disaster/humanitarian relief, FlexAir, FlexMove, intelligence, Intelsat, Intelsat Spotlight 2021, Interview, Presented by Intelsat, satcom, satellite, sponsored content, Spotlight, surveillance, technology >
- Breaking Defense 18:00August 13, 2021ALIS Is Dying; Long Live F-35’s ODINWASHINGTON: The F-35 program began taking a major step the last two weeks toward removing an enormous albatross from around its neck by replacing the much-maligned ALIS logistics system with its sleeker, faster and younger replacement, ODIN. The move to install ODIN on two of 14 deployments brings the logistics and planning system to units in…
< Air Warfare, Allies, Networks / Cyber, ALIS, F-35 Joint Program Office, f-35 joint strike fighter, Gen. Eric Fick, Naval Air Station Patuxent River, Operational Data Integrated Network ODIN >
- Breaking Defense 17:15August 13, 2021IP And Security: Two Thorny Challenges On The Innovation JourneyOPINION: When Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin signed the Department’s strategy for Joint All-Domain Command and Control, it officially kicked off a push towards open architectures, information sharing, and connected systems across the battlespace. But the capabilities to execute these concepts are often commercial, software-heavy, and do not fall neatly into existing budgeting processes. That…
< Networks / Cyber, Pentagon, Innovation, intellectual property, op-ed. op-eds. commentary >
- Breaking Defense 21:00August 12, 2021Army Awards Contract For Major Crypto Update“NGLD-M will be the biggest material change in cryptographic key delivery in twenty years,” said Michael Badger, product lead COMSEC.
< Land Warfare, Networks / Cyber, Pentagon, Army, crypto, cryptography, General Dynamics Mission Systems, PEO-C3T, sierra nevada corporation >
- Breaking Defense 19:58August 12, 2021Budgetary Pressures Could Push Skyborg Beyond 2023“I won’t say that it’s not achievable” to transition Skyborg to a program of record, said AFLMC’s Brig. Gen. Dale White. “I will just say that it has to be balanced with all of the other requirements we have across the portfolio to be able to do that.”
< Air Warfare, Networks / Cyber, Air Force Life Cycle Management Center LCMC, Air Force Research Laboratory AFRL, Boeing, General Atomics, Kratos, Skyborg, Vanguard, XQ-58A Valkyrie >
- Breaking Defense 18:36August 12, 2021Seamless Space, Air, Missile Defense Key SPACECOM GoalThe Joint Force, he said, “should,” and “will” in future “use space strategic warning assets to meet tactical level ground requirements,” says Gen. Jim Dickinson, SPACECOM head.
< Networks / Cyber, Space, cybersecurity, Gen. James Dickinson, integrated air and missile defense, sensors, SMD 2021, space command, space domain awareness SDA >
- Breaking Defense 15:33August 12, 2021Internet Operations Management Is Well Suited To Military Networks[Sponsored] IOM will enable Joint Force Headquarters-DoD Information Network to gain real-time visibility over all defense networks.
< Networks / Cyber, Sponsored Post, cloud, cyber, cybersecurity, Defense Information Systems Agency, Department of Defense, DOD, DOD Networks, Gamechanger, Internet, Internet Access Points, Internet Operations Management / IOM, IT, IT Operations, Joint Force Headquarters-Departments of Defense Information Network / JFHQ-DODIN, Military Networks, Multicloud, Palo Alto Integrated, Presented by Palo Alto, sponsored content, technology >
- Breaking Defense 20:10August 11, 2021JROC’s Next Target: ‘Integrated Air & Missile Defense’“I would like to have overhead sensors that see everything, characterize everything that goes on on this planet from a missile perspective, all the time everywhere. … That’s unobtainium right now,” says VCJCS Gen. John Hyten.
< Networks / Cyber, Nuclear Weapons, Pentagon, Space, ballistic missile defense, Gen. John Hyten, hypersonic missiles, integrated air and missile defense, Joint All Domain Command and Control, Joint Requirements Oversight Council, Joint Warfighting Concept, Missile Defense Review, missile tracking, missile warning, National Defense Strategy, Nuclear Posture Review, SMD 2021, Space Development Agency, strategic directives >
- Breaking Defense 22:02August 5, 2021Secretary Austin Approves Spectrum Superiority Strategy Implementation Plan“Today’s EMS Superiority Strategy combined our electromagnetic warfare and spectrum equities for the first time ever,” said Vice Chairman John E. Hyten. “The Strategy’s I-Plan sets us on a path to dominate the future battle space. We are determined to get there and achieve spectrum superiority in all domains.”
< All Domain, Networks / Cyber, Pentagon, 2020 Electromagnetic Spectrum Superiority Strategy, All Domain Operations, All Domain Series 2020, Defense Information Systems Agency, Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin, electromagnetic spectrum, electromagnetic spectrum domain, electromagnetic spectrum operations, Gen. John Hyten, House Armed Services Commitee, Joint Warfighting Concept, Rep. Jim Langevin >
- Breaking Defense 20:45August 5, 2021Chinese Execute ‘Huge’ Theater Level Exercise; Russia & PRC Start Joint Exercise“Everywhere we went, we were confronted with Chinese. They would come up to us in the hotels, out in the streets and just kind of get really in our face,” Marine Maj. Gen. David Furness said of his recent service in East Africa. “And they’d basically tell us, we’re coming after you. They weren’t shy about it at all.”
< Global, Naval Warfare, Networks / Cyber, Pacific, China, Dean Cheng, freedom of navigation operations FONOPS, Russia, SeaAirSpace 2021, Taiwan Strait >
- Breaking Defense 13:15August 5, 2021New Egyptian Base Sends Messages of Support to Libya, Challenge To TurkeyThe opening of the base signifies Egypt’s determination to assert itself as a regional naval power with vast capacities and challenge efforts by its competitors like Turkey to expand their area of influence and control oil and gas rich zones of the Mediterranean.
< Allies, Global, Middle East, Naval Warfare, Networks / Cyber, Threats, C4I systems, C4ISR Middle East, Egyptian navy, Libya, mediterranean sea, middle east, naval base, turkey, US and NATO >
- Breaking Defense 18:15August 4, 2021Boeing Eyeing How MQ-25 Can Talk To Pilots When The Carrier CannotThe premise of Boeing’s demonstration is simple, but it is aimed at the heart of many of the operational concepts and environments Pentagon leaders have discussed in recent years.
< All Domain, Naval Warfare, Networks / Cyber, aerial refueling, All Domain Operations, drone, MQ-25, navy, refueling, Unmanned >
- Breaking Defense 23:49August 2, 2021The Navy Wants Industry To Manage Its Autonomy Integration EffortsThe Navy wants to hire an industry partner for its Rapid Autonomy Integration Lab, or RAIL, office.
< Naval Warfare, Networks / Cyber, autonomous, Ghost Fleet, navy, nomad, overlord, ranger, SeaAirSpace 2021, Unmanned >
- Breaking Defense 18:15August 2, 2021Raytheon, Navy Finish SPY-6 Testing At WallopsThe company is anticipating a contract later this year for work associated with backfitting Flight IIA destroyers.
< Naval Warfare, Networks / Cyber, AMDR, AN/SPY-6 radar, ballistic missile defense, EASR, Raytheon, Sea Air Space 2021, Wallops Island >
- Breaking Defense 17:15August 2, 2021Northrop Exploring How SEWIP Can Feed Into Project Overmatch“We were able to … create new software and put new communication waveforms through the system and demonstrate a class a wave forms it could be critical to the Navy as they look at Project Overmatch,” said Mike Meaney, a Northrop Grumman official.
< Naval Warfare, Networks / Cyber, DDG-51 Flight III, Distributed Maritime Operations / DMO, Northrop Grumman, Northrop Grumman DMO In Focus 2021, SEWIP >