- Business Insider 23:34June 24, 2021After 10 years climbing the ranks, I quit my job without giving notice. Here's why you shouldn't feel obligated to stay if a job is damaging to your mental health.Rahkim Sabree's tweet went viral after he quit a job at a bank that was making him "angry, anxious, unfulfilled, and unhappy." He has no regrets.
< Strategy, Nordic, Mental Health, Work, Careers, Quitting, Rage Quit, original contributor, contributor 2019 >
- Business Insider 16:18June 24, 20214 practices for onboarding remote workers to make sure they feel included and preparedIntroduce new employees to the wider team, schedule informal hangouts and regular check-ins, and give them responsibilities right away.
< Strategy, Nordic, Entrepreneur, Remote Work, Remote Jobs, Team, Communication, onboarding, Contributor, contributor 2019, WFH >
- Business Insider 19:36June 23, 2021The world's first blood test that reveals in 24 hours if targeted cancer treatment is working has been launchedScientists have launched a blood test that can reveal in 24 hours whether therapy against specific molecules is impacting tumor growth.
< Healthcare, Tech Insider, Tech Contributors, International, Nordic, UK, BI International, Translation Team, Qayyah Moynihan, Ruqayyah Moynihan, Business Insider España >
- Business Insider 18:16June 23, 2021US leaders say China and Russia's military ties are 'phony,' but there still isn't much they can do about themRussia and China have drawn closer to each other due to a shared desire for "what they call a new type of great-power relations," one expert said.
< Military & Defense, International, Nordic, Russia, China, Sino-Russian relations, NATO, InsiderAsia >
- Business Insider 18:11June 23, 2021How Raleigh-Durham is prioritizing innovation and entrepreneurship to build a strong tech workforce as companies like Apple and Google move to the regionOne accelerator, RIoT Your Reality, invites teams to think of ways augmented reality can solve Raleigh's biggest challenges and fund projects.
< Strategy, Nordic, Features, BI-freelancer, Innovation, Entrepreneurship, Apple, Google, Tech workforce, raleigh, durham, North Carolina, contributor 2019, Edit Series, Advancing Cities >
- Business Insider 16:02June 23, 2021A nonprofit HR exec on the 2 things every company should consider when building an inclusive cultureMarsha Bonner, VP of people and culture at Urban Resource Institute, said "never, ever forgetting where I've come from" is the secret to her success.
< Strategy, Nordic, Edit Series, Secrets of Success, msft-success, Leadership, Diversity and Inclusion, BI-freelancer, contributor 2019, nonprofit >
- Business Insider 16:00June 23, 2021How to deal with negative feedback as a business owner and use it to improve your leadership skillsInviting constructive feedback is key to developing stronger professional relationships and identifying weaknesses in your business.
< Strategy, Nordic, Entrepreneur, Feedback, negativity, Perception, Leadership, Critique, Criticism, Contributor, contributor 2019 >
- Business Insider 01:03June 23, 2021A British army email mishap publicly mentioned a military intel unit so secretive its members are banned from social mediaE Squadron is a secretive unit in the secretive world of British special operations, tasked with high-risk operations overseas.
< Military & Defense, International, Nordic, British Army, British SAS, Special Air Service, Special Boat Service, Special Operations, E Squadron, News Contributor, Mildef freelance >
- Business Insider 23:52June 22, 2021MAKING BIG MONEY: The ultimate guides to breaking into careers with 6-figure salariesWhether you want to go freelance or land a high-paying, full-time job, experts share how to break into various careers with six-digit incomes.
< Strategy, Careers, Nordic, Small Business, Career, Life, Money, Freelance, Freelance Jobs, Freelance income, Freelancing, contributor 2019, McKinsey & Company, Graphic Designers, marketing consulting, ghostwriting, Coding, Venture Capital, dietitian, Personal Trainer, doula, tutoring, Software engineers, Fiverr, Freelancer.com, Upwork, Careers, Entrepreneurship >
- Business Insider 23:47June 22, 2021How to get into 6 of the best law schools in the US, according to consultants, admissions officers, and studentsAttending law school is time-consuming and expensive, but if you end up in the right program, it could lead to a fulfilling and successful career.
< Education, Nordic, Strategy, Law, landing page, Law School, Harvard, Yale, Columbia, uchicago, University of chicago, Harvard Law, contributor 2019, Education, college admissions, Stanford, NYU, Careers, graduate school, Graduate Degree >
- Business Insider 16:18June 22, 20213 templates for answering 'What are your career aspirations?' in a job interviewDon't lie because you think it's what the interviewer wants to hear. Here's your guide for planning an honest answer that showcases your strengths.
< Strategy, Nordic, The Muse, Careers, Job Interview, Contributor, contributor 2019, career advice, Jobs, Work >
- Business Insider 15:46June 22, 202180 years ago, Hitler picked a fight that may have cost him World War IIBefore dawn on June 22, 1941, Nazi Germany launched the largest invasion in the history of warfare and a battle that may have cost it the war.
< Military & Defense, Nordic, International, Operation Barbarossa, Nazi Germany, Soviet Union, World War II, News Contributor, Mildef freelance >
- Business Insider 18:37June 21, 2021How $800 and kitchen experiments helped Stormi Steele create a hair care brand that booked nearly $20 million in sales last yearSteele's first ad on Instagram and Facebook cost $100 and paid off in nearly $15,000 in sales in just a few days.
< Small Business, Nordic, Small Business, BI Select, voc, woc, Black-owned, Arts & Culture, Hair care, Entrepreneurship, Strategy, Social Media Advertising >
- Business Insider 16:44June 21, 202129-year-old Brandon Blackwood shares how $7,000 and Instagram helped him build a handbag empire that's on track to book $30 million in revenueOne night, after three glasses of wine, Blackwood went to his boyfriend with an idea that changed everything: a tote that said "end systemic racism."
< Small Business, Nordic, Retail, Fashion, voc, Voices of Color, BI Select, Retail, Entrepreneur, Small Business, Arts & Culture, Entrepreneurship, Kim Kardashian, Black Lives Matter >
- Business Insider 16:00June 21, 20215 marketing strategies to implement if you're considering opening a franchiseCreating a consistent brand message and being generous and connected to your community is key to building trust among recurring customers.
< Strategy, Nordic, Entrepreneur, Franchise, Marketing, Dunkin' Donuts, KFC, BMW, Contributor, contributor 2019, Business >
- Business Insider 16:15June 20, 20213 clearest signs you're a manager who's in need of leadership training, according to a startup CEONothing bad happens when you put energy into becoming a better leader. Here are the 3 biggest warning signs you might be overdue for improvement.
< Strategy, Nordic, Leadership, Careers, Business, founders, Executives, original contributor, contributor 2019, Work >
- Business Insider 16:05June 20, 2021How nurturing and affectionate fathers lead to resilient and emotionally intelligent kids, explained by a sociologistLoving and supportive father figures have a strong influence on how their kids mature emotionally and later excel in early adulthood.
< Strategy, Nordic, The Conversation, Parenting, Fatherhood, Fathers, Dad, Father's Day, Emotional Intelligence, Children, Contributor, contributor 2019, Opinion >
- Business Insider 16:23June 19, 2021Chipotle gave huge payouts to its CEO and shareholders, then blamed workers for price increases - here's what's really going onThe food chain says the 4% increase to menu prices is to cover increasing employee wages to $15 an hour. Last year, their CEO got a $24 million raise.
< Opinion, Nordic, Economy, Retail, Opinion, Chipotle, Wages, Minimum Wage, Price increases, Fast Food, contributor 2019, original contributor >
- Business Insider 16:05June 19, 2021Why non-negotiable downtime is the most beneficial habit for your professional growthLong hours in the office won't make a difference when coupled with poor physical and mental health. Take time to rest, reflect, and care for yourself first.
< Strategy, Nordic, Inc., Exercise, self care, Mental Health, Happiness, Productivity, Contributor, contributor 2019, Stress, Wellness >
- Business Insider 21:29June 18, 2021SCOTT GALLOWAY: Less than 2% of US millionaires' taxes returns get audited - here's how increasing IRS funding could change that and net billions more in tax revenue"The last time the IRS had fewer than 10,000 auditors was in 1953, when our economy was seven times smaller and our population half the size," says Galloway.
< Opinion, Nordic, Scott Galloway, Prof G, Big Tech, Bitcoin, COVID, Contributor, contributor 2019, Opinion, Taxes, Millionaires >
- Business Insider 16:10June 18, 2021I'm a minority tech founder. Making diverse hires isn't enough - here's how companies should also take action to support the wider Black community."Creating real change requires diving deeply into a single issue, becoming educated, and taking concrete steps to combat the problem," says Ashish Toshniwal.
< Tech Insider, Strategy, Nordic, Tech, Essay, Diversity, DEI, Leadership, original contributor, contributor 2019, CEO activism, blm, Strategy, Opinion >
- Business Insider 16:10June 18, 20215 books young people should read to open a dialogue about race in America"Angel of Greenwood," "A Song Below Water," and "Land of the Cranes" are good places to start, says teacher educator Sarah Donovan.
< Education, Nordic, The Conversation, Reading, Race, Books, Students, Teachers, Contributor, contributor 2019, Opinion, Racism >
- Business Insider 21:44June 17, 202113 eye-opening essays and articles from Black writers to read to understand America's problems with raceFrom Ida B. Wells and James Baldwin to Ta-Nehisi Coates, these free works by Black authors give important context for what's going on in the US now.
< Strategy, Nordic, Features, Strategy, Voices of Color, Careers, Diversity and Inclusion, Diversity, Books, Reading, Black History Month >
- Business Insider 21:21June 17, 2021HR leaders at Zoom and WayUp reveal how a strong virtual recruiting process can improve diversity and inclusionChief people officer Lynne Oldham said Zoom conducts more interviews when hiring virtually to give candidates more of a window into the company.
< Strategy, Nordic, Careers, HR, Recruiting, Hiring, Remote Work, Zoom, wayup, BI-freelancer, contributor 2019, paycom-future-finance, Edit Series, Insider Events, Insider Events recap >
- Business Insider 21:20June 17, 2021It's time to ditch annual reviews and embrace continuous performance management, where teams are equipped with the tools and feedback they need to succeed all year roundIBM created a program called "checkpoint" for its employees five years ago, where it sets goals in an agile, iterative manner throughout the year.
< Strategy, Nordic, Careers, HR, Performance Reviews, performance review, Managing, Feedback, IBM, Grove Collaborative, BI-freelancer, contributor 2019, paycom-future-finance, Edit Series, Insider Events, Insider Events recap >
- Business Insider 19:57June 17, 2021I'm a 32-year-old who booked 2 cruises this summer. People think they're tacky and dirty, but they're still the best way to vacation.Halee Whiting is a hospitality worker who's excited to reconnect with friends. She says cruises require everyone to be respectful and do their part.
< Travel, Transportation, Nordic, Cruises, Cruise, Cruise Lines, Royal Caribbean, Royal Caribbean Cruises, Cruise Ship, Travel, Personal Essay, BI-freelancer, contributor 2019 >
- Business Insider 19:08June 17, 2021Here's how to use data to improve employee satisfaction, promote diversity, and retain talentThe role of CHRO is going to evolve with data, Dane Holmes, CEO and cofounder of HR software firm Eskalera, said during Insider's virtual event.
< Strategy, Nordic, Leadership, HR, HR executive, Company Culture, Analytics, BI-freelancer, contributor 2019, Insider Events, Insider Events recap, Edit Series, paycom-future-finance >
- Business Insider 18:07June 17, 2021Everything to know about the public relations industry, from pay and hiring to growth areasThe public relations industry is undergoing big changes - here's the latest on salaries, M&A, and growth areas.
< Advertising, Media, Nordic, Public Relations, Edelman, Omnicom, fleishmanhillard, weber shandwick, IPG, WPP, Advertising Agencies >
- Business Insider 18:00June 17, 2021A millennial founder who landed 6-figures in investments breaks down his plan to build an applesauce empireInvestors liked Ethan Holmes' ability to spot a "sleepy" category - one that hasn't yet been disrupted.
< Small Business, Nordic, BI Select, Arts & Culture, Entrepreneur, Small Business, voc, Voices of Color, Entrepreneurship, Food, black-owned business, Black-owned >
- Business Insider 16:58June 17, 2021Leaders from Paycom and The Kraft Group explain how they use technology to improve the employee experienceTechnology can help improve the employee experience, but HR leaders need to make sure any new tech is as user-friendly as possible.
< Strategy, Nordic, Careers, HR, Human Resources, Edit Series, Insider Events, Insider Events recap, Employees, Data, Paycom, Kraft, Enterprise technology, paycom-future-finance >
- Business Insider 16:40June 17, 2021The out-of-office message you need if your company finally caught up with the times and gave you Juneteenth offInsider is taking Juneteenth observed off. This is the email out-of-office message I drafted to explain to my contacts what that meant.
< Strategy, Careers, Nordic, Out Of Office, Email, Email Etiquette, juneteenth, contributor 2019, Careers, Holiday, Time off >
- Business Insider 16:22June 17, 2021Jake Tapper on how to embrace rejection and the 15-minute-a-day trick that helped him finish his latest book"It sucks, but we all have been through it ... Do not be hurt by it, and do not take it personally, even when it is personal," says the CNN anchor.
< Media, Nordic, Strategy, Dan Schawbel, Podcast, Jake Tapper, CNN, Journalist, original contributor, contributor 2019, Author >
- Business Insider 16:00June 17, 2021What to do if your boss won't let you work from home anymoreBefore you think about quitting, meet with your boss to discuss alternative work schedules and demonstrate that you can be productive while remote.
< Strategy, Nordic, HerMoney, Remote Work, Office, Jobs, Contributor, contributor 2019, WFH, Work, Job Advice >
- Business Insider 00:38June 17, 2021PwC chairman Bob Moritz on the importance of being an agile leaderYoung leaders should learn to easily adapt to any challenge that comes their way, Moritz told Insider.
< Strategy, Nordic, Bob Moritz, PwC, Management Consulting, Hiring, Leadership, Edit Series, msft-success, Secrets of Success >
- Business Insider 19:00June 16, 2021Twitter may now be held directly responsible for every single tweet in IndiaTwitter's non-compliance with new rules may make it liable for tweets in India under the Information Technology Act 2000 and the Indian Penal Code.
< Tech Insider, Tech Contributors, Strategy, International, International Contributors, Nordic, BI General Contributors, BI International, Translation Team, Qayyah Moynihan >
- Business Insider 17:06June 16, 2021How one Durham-based foundation is investing in North Carolina's entrepreneurs and growing the state's innovation footprintSince its beginning, NC IDEA has provided $15 million to entrepreneurs in North Carolina - and plans to provide $3.5 million more this year.
< Small Business, Nordic, Strategy, BI-freelancer, North Carolina, durham, Entrepreneurs, Entrepreneurship, mentorship, grants, Funding, Support, contributor 2019, Edit Series, Advancing Cities >
- Business Insider 16:00June 16, 20213 qualities you should look for when hiring for leadership and C-suite rolesNow more than ever, executives who help steer the ship, collaborate successfully, and have a handle on things when business shifts are in high demand.
< Strategy, Nordic, Inc., Executives, Leadership, leaders, Teams, Team Player, Hiring, Recruiting, CEOs, Contributor, contributor 2019 >
- Business Insider 15:23June 16, 2021I design luxury homes - for chickens. Here's how I've made $1.8 million from a niche business that I began with $3,800 and the advice of friends.Kathy Vegh Hughes says her customer base isn't farmers but plenty of mothers who have "pets who are a part of the family" and like the benefits of organic food.
< Careers, Nordic, Careers, job diary, chicken coop, Pets, Small Business, Entrepreneur, working mom, contributor 2019, BI-freelancer >
- Business Insider 14:11June 16, 2021Everything to know about Amazon's advertising business, which is $21 billion and growingAmazon is making big moves to grow its advertising business, sending ripples through the ad industry.
< Advertising, Tech Insider, Retail, Media, Nordic, Strategy, Careers, Amazon, Amazon + Mad Ave., Amazon advertising, BI Graphics, Samantha Lee, Walmart advertising, Walgreens >
- Business Insider 18:32June 15, 2021I tested out the writing routines of 5 famous authors to see which would make me the most productiveMel Burke cranked out 5,000 words when following V.E. Schwab's routine, but doesn't see herself waking up at 4 a.m. like Haruki Murakami ever again.
< Strategy, Nordic, BI-freelancer, Writing, Writing techniques, novelist, authors, Routines, Daily Routine, Productivity, Writers, contributor 2019, Careers >
- Business Insider 16:00June 15, 2021Why middle-aged Americans are struggling the most with their physical and mental health - and what other nations are doing betterEnsuring the success, health, and wellbeing of midlife workers is key to create lasting positive effects on their families and society as a whole.
< Healthcare, Nordic, The Conversation, Stress, Mental Health, Paid Leave, Health Insurance, Contributor, contributor 2019, Wellness, Health, Childcare >
- Business Insider 21:37June 14, 2021I'm a notoriously bad sleeper who tried Sleep by Headspace for a month to stop waking up in the middle of the night - here's how it went"Instead of saying I'm bad at sleep, I now think of myself as getting better at it," Zoe Rosenberg writes after testing out the meditation app.
< Tech Insider, Nordic, Strategy, Life, BI-freelancer, Headspace, Sleep, Apps, Meditation, Anxiety, sleep aid, sleeping, Sleep Apps, contributor 2019, i tried, i tried it >
- Business Insider 16:27June 14, 2021A cofounder of Bleacher Report reflects on the two biggest decisions that changed the trajectory of his startupDave Nemetz says his company could've could have ended up more like Barstool Sports or The Athletic if not for these moments.
< Tech Insider, Nordic, Opinion, Dave Nemetz, Startups, founders, Entrepreneurs, Advice, Contributor, contributor 2019, Personal Essay, Success, Bleacher Report >
- Business Insider 16:00June 14, 2021An HR expert explains how companies can avoid 'wellbeing tokenism' when supporting employee healthStephen Bevan says employers should invest in reliable resources, like an occupational health nurse, instead of marketing gimmicks.
< Strategy, Nordic, The Conversation, Wellness, Amazon, Producitivity, Contributor, contributor 2019 >
- Business Insider 15:59June 14, 2021Russia is saying goodbye to its last Soviet-era ballistic-missile submarines. Here's what's replacing them.The decommissioning of the Ekaterinburg will be the beginning of the end for what has long been the backbone of the Soviet and Russian SSBN fleet.
< Military & Defense, International, Nordic, Russian Navy, Russian submarine, Borei-class submarine, ballistic missile submarine, News Contributor, Mildef freelance >
- Business Insider 06:54June 14, 2021On opposite sides of Europe, US troops are practicing new ways to get to battle"It's just as important to be lethal in air, land, sea, space, and cyber as it is to be lethal in logistics," the top US general in Europe said this week.
< Military & Defense, International, Nordic, NATO, Defender Europe, U.S. Army, U.S. Navy, US European Command, USNS Bob Hope, US Transportation Command >
- Business Insider 17:10June 13, 2021A business ethicist explains why billionaires like Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos shouldn't use tax avoidance strategies, even if it's legalScholar Erin Bass says public figures should be evaluated on their personal morals as well as by the influence of their behaviors on others.
< Strategy, Nordic, The Conversation, Jeff Bezos, Elon Musk, Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg, Billionaires, Taxes, Tax Evasion, Tax Avoidance, Contributor, contributor 2019 >
- Business Insider 16:00June 13, 20213 ways to decide if starting a side hustle on top of your full-time job is right for youBefore jumping into gig work, research and network with other creatives to get a sense of whether or not the extra workload is worth it.
< Strategy, Nordic, HerMoney, side hustles, Entrepreneurship, Gig economy, Contributor, contributor 2019, side gigs, WFH, Income >
- Business Insider 14:42June 13, 2021Confessions of caregiver burnout: 5 women dealing with childcare and family needs reveal how the pandemic pushed them to a breaking point"I remember one morning just bursting into tears, lying on the ground, and crying, because I just felt so overwhelmed and so alone."
< Strategy, Careers, Nordic, Burnout, Pandemic, coronavirus, Caregiving, Parents, Working parents, Features, contributor 2019, Work, Marianne Ayala, BI Graphics >
- Business Insider 17:28June 12, 2021I visited one of the most iconic neighborhood bars in NYC after it reopened - here's what it was likeBemelmans Bar on the Upper East Side is currently open at 50% capacity, and requires one member of each party to fill out a digital contact tracing form.
< Retail, Nordic, Travel, News, Restaurants, NYC, reopening, BI-freelancer, contributor 2019, Bars, Dining, mask mandate >