- The Guardian 12:27March 4, 2021Israel claims Iran dumped oil in sea in 'environmental attack'Environmental protection minister says suspect ship is now anchored in Iran but offers no evidence spill was intentional Israel’s environmental protection minister has said Iran was responsible for a recent oil spill that ravaged its shores and has claimed – without evidence – the incident was a form of “environmental terrorism”.Gila Gamliel said after a two-week investigation aimed at “getting our hands on the criminal ship” responsible for the tar slick, her ministry had identified a Panama-flagged tanker called Emerald which was smuggling oil from Iran to Syria in breach of international sanctions. Continue reading...
< Israel, Iran, Environment, Oil spills, Middle East and North Africa, World news >
- New York Times 04:21February 24, 2021Israel’s Beaches Are Littered With Tar After Mysterious Oil SpillThe environmental damage is being called one of Israel’s worst ecological disasters in decades. “I feel like I want to cry,” said an official. “It’s everywhere.”
< Oil Spills, Beaches, Offshore Drilling and Exploration >
- The Guardian 16:54February 21, 2021Oil spill from passing ship blackens Israel's Mediterranean shorelineVolunteers gather to remove clumps of tar in cleanup effort that could take months or years, officials sayIsraeli authorities are trying to find the ship responsible for an oil spill that drenched much of its Mediterranean shoreline with tar, an environmental blow that will take months or years to clean up, officials said.Thousands of volunteers gathered on Sunday to remove clumps of sticky black refuse from the pale beaches. Israel’s military said it was deploying thousands of soldiers to help with the effort. Authorities warned members of the public to keep their distance until further notice. Continue reading...
< Israel, Oil spills, Environment, Marine life, Middle East and North Africa, World news >
- The Guardian 07:03February 18, 2021Solomon Islands: ship crew accused of dumping 1,000 tonnes of oil in seaGovernment alleges bulk carrier discharged heavy fuel oil into the sea off Santa Cruz island A bulk carrier ship has deliberately dumped about 1,000 tonnes of oil into the sea off the coast of the Solomon Islands, government authorities have alleged.The Panama-flagged MV Quebec, which was in the Solomons carrying a logging shipment for a Chinese company, is accused of discharging heavy fuel oil into Graciosa Bay in Temotu province in late January. Continue reading...
< Solomon Islands, World news, Asia Pacific, Pacific islands, Oil spills, Environment >
- New York Times 19:50February 12, 2021U.K. High Court Says Nigerians Can Sue Shell in Britain Over Oil SpillsThe Dutch energy company has a presence in Britain, and a judge ruled there was “a real issue to be tried.”
< Nigeria, Royal Dutch Shell Plc, Oil Spills, Niger Delta (Nigeria), Water Pollution, Oil (Petroleum) and Gasoline, Supreme Court of the United Kingdom, Great Britain, Suits and Litigation (Civil) >