- Business Insider 21:53May 14, 2021SCOTT GALLOWAY: Divorce brings you face-to-face with your flaws and is seen as an admission of failure. It needs a rebranding."Seattle's second-wealthiest divorcing couple will be fine, as money is the modern world's shock absorber," writes Galloway.
< Opinion, Nordic, Scott Galloway, Prof G, bill and melinda gates, divorce cost, Marriage and Wealth, Opinion, Contributor, contributor 2019 >
- Business Insider 15:56May 13, 2021The US economy has not hit 'peak data.' There's still plenty of room for the post-COVID boom to soar.Economists are worried that the US economy's pace of reopening could cool as the labor market slows and prices pick up. That's not the case at all.
< Opinion, Politics, Economy, Markets, Economy, Policy, ISM manufacturing index, GDP, Recession, Inflation, BI Commentary, Commentary Freelancer, Opinion >
- Business Insider 17:27May 12, 2021No business leader can ignore America's cruel, racist death penalty. People expect the private sector to take a stand.Ex-Unilever CEO Paul Polman argues people expect businesses to take stands. Opposing capital punishment is a way to honor vows to be ethical, he writes.
< Opinion, Politics, Opinion, Death Penalty, Politics, Leadership, corporate activism, Capital Punishment >
- Business Insider 16:07May 12, 2021Give it up Reagan Republicans, you're not in the GOP anymoreAs the Liz Cheney fight shows, the GOP has decided that denying reality is the litmus test for being a Republican. If that's not your thing, get out.
< Opinion, Politics, News, BI Commentary, Republican Party, Liz Cheney, GOP, Senate, Donald Trump, Opinion, columnist, Ronald Reagan, Arizona >
- The Independent Feed 12:50May 12, 2021Sea level rise threatens low lying islands like the Maldives – it isn’t enough to simply adapt to the changeSmall island developing states are the first to feel the effects of the climate crisis, but have little power to stop it – it’s the responsibility of all nations to take action to protect them
< Opinion, Climate >
- WIRED 15:00May 11, 2021Why Is It So Hard to Be Evil in Video Games?Sometimes there are too many choices. Most of the time, “good versus evil” isn’t very clear-cut.
< Culture, Gear, Culture / Video Games, Opinion >
- The Independent Feed 13:42May 11, 2021Joe Biden is right - an EU carbon tax could create a new era of trade warsJust as the continent’s ambitious climate policies were forged by consensus, so too should its trade relationships with the wider world
< Opinion, Climate >
- Forbes 21:16May 10, 2021It’s Time For A Supply-Side ResurgenceTo promote widespread prosperity, the U.S. needs a comprehensive supply-side agenda of sound money, free trade, affordable government, and low taxes.
< Policy, /policy, Business, /business, Policy, /policy, Business, opinion >
- Business Insider 16:04May 10, 2021The ridiculous amount of money we spend on on the US military is actually making our country less safeThe "military-industrial complex" refers to an assortment of federal entities that profit off of "forever wars." This harms us in the long run.
< Opinion, Politics, Military & Defense, Opinion, BI Commentary, Commentary Freelancer, Military, Biden, Politics, military budget, National Security >
- Business Insider 14:03May 10, 2021Working from home isn't the future, it's bonkers. That's why my company asked people to keep coming to the office.Charlie Mullins, CEO of Pimlico Plumbers, sets out how and why his company brought all its staff, including officer workers, back together.
< Opinion, Opinion, work from home, WFH, Charlie Mullins, Pimlico Plumbers, Future of Work >
- Business Insider 17:03May 9, 2021You know what mothers really want for Mothers' Day? A work and school schedule that lines upIf you can't pick up your kid on time, you can pay for pricy after-school care. You're planning to be a working parent, so that should be fine, right?
< Opinion, Life, Economy, Strategy, Politics, Opinion, BI Commentary, Parenting, Mothers, Fathers, Childcare, Daycare, Policy, Commentary Freelancer >
- Business Insider 16:32May 9, 2021Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer should just retire alreadyDemocrats are barely holding onto the Senate. So the right time for Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer to retire is now.
< Opinion, Politics, Opinion, BI Commentary, columnist, Stephen Breyer, Supreme Court, Politics, Senate Democrats, Joe Biden, Donald Trump, Brett Kavanaugh >
- Business Insider 16:03May 9, 2021Wall Street boogeymen known as 'bond vigilantes' have haunted Democrats for decades. But Biden has a chance to exorcise those demons, reshape the economy, and tackle climate change.Joe Biden wants to raise taxes to "pay for" his massive infrastructure plan, but this is a huge mistake - he should just pay for it with debt instead.
< Opinion, Economy, Markets, Politics, Bond Vigilante, Wall Street, Joe Biden, Climate Change, National Debt, Federal Deficit, Debt, BI Commentary, permalancer, Opinion, BI Graphics, Samantha Lee >
- Business Insider 15:27May 9, 2021Don't be a jerk about COVID reopening, whether you want to move slow or fastEmpathize with those who aren't ready to rush back to "normal." But don't force everyone else to stay locked-down post-vaccination.
< Opinion, Politics, News, Science, BI Commentary, Opinion, COVID-19, COVID, masks, Pandemic, coronavirus, coronavirus pandemic, CDC, Centers for Disease Control, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) >
- Business Insider 15:04May 9, 2021Basecamp's controversial move to ban politics at work is a reminder that the workplace is not a democracy - workers have little power to combat bad policiesThe least democratic place in America is the workplace where employers have the legal right to hire, fire, and set rules with no say from employees.
< Opinion, Strategy, Tech Insider, Careers, Opinion, BI Commentary, Basecamp, Worker Rights, Democracy, permalancer, BI Graphics, Marianne Ayala, Management >
- Business Insider 17:03May 8, 2021There's a simple way Congress can make birth control easier to access and improve women's healthWomen face too many barriers and hoops to jump through to get birth control prescriptions which many have been on for years. Telehealth can help.
< Opinion, Healthcare, Politics, Opinion, BI Commentary, Commentary Freelancer, Birth Control, Health, Healthcare, Telehealth >
- Business Insider 16:46May 8, 2021Biden's break from neoliberalism to invest in the middle class could create 'the mother of all economic booms' - an economic commentator explains whyAnusar Farooqui says we could soon see a "once-in-a-century realignment that wipes out the old thinking" of how the global economy works.
< Opinion, Economy, Nordic, Politics, Pitchfork Economics, Paul Constant, Economy, US economic recovery, COVID, original contributor, contributor 2019, Opinion >
- Business Insider 16:34May 8, 2021Who's to blame for the drop off in new vaccinations? Start with public health officials like the CDC.When public officials message that vaccinations may not lead to a relaxation of restrictions, it discourages people from getting vaccinated in the first place.
< Opinion, Politics, Science, Healthcare, News, Opinion, BI Commentary, Commentary Freelancer, Public Health, COVID-19, Pandemic, COVID-19 vaccine >
- Business Insider 16:02May 8, 2021Workers have been getting screwed over for too long. The PRO Act can help flip the tide.Under the act, independent contractors, who are often from the most marginalized communities, would be given additional rights to organize.
< Opinion, Politics, Economy, Strategy, Opinion, BI Commentary, PRO Act, Politics, Freelance, Workers Rights, Commentary Freelancer >
- Business Insider 15:28May 8, 2021Americans can't keep ignoring the dozens of states sneaking through laws that attack the right to protest and make it more dangerous to take to the streetsOne law gives immunity to drivers who run over protesters, another makes it a felony to damage flags or statues.This is NOT what democracy looks like.
< Opinion, Politics, News, Opinion, BI Commentary, Politics, Policy, Protests, Republican, Florida, Georgia >
- Business Insider 15:04May 8, 2021The US economy is barreling towards a post-COVID boom. All it took was for the people in charge to finally learn from the 2008 recession's disastrous mistakes.The US economy is set up to come out of the COVID pandemic with a historic boom because the Fed and federal government learned from 2008's missteps.
< Opinion, Economy, Politics, Markets, Economy, Financial Crisis, GDP, Inflation, Interest Rates, Federal Reserve, American Rescue Plan, BI Commentary, Opinion, Commentary Freelancer >
- Business Insider 00:25May 8, 2021The jobs report proves the obvious - working parents need schools to reopen. Now.Turns out when schools are closed for over a year, a lot of parents are forced to choose staying at home with their kids over looking for new jobs.
< Opinion, Politics, News, BI Opinion, Commentary, remote learning, Jobs Report, Unemployment, Schools, Unions, Teachers, Teachers' Unions', Working parents, Mental Health, Economics, Jobs, Economy, Business >
- Business Insider 22:31May 7, 2021SCOTT GALLOWAY: Elon Musk is now the most influential person in the world - whether or not that's a good thing remains to be seen"Is Mr. Musk a net positive for society? 100% yes. It's the word 'net' that is the problem."
< Opinion, Nordic, Scott Galloway, Prof G, Bitcoin, Elon Musk, Tesla, Saturday Night Live, SNL, Dogecoin, cryptocurrency, Contributor, contributor 2019, Opinion >
- Business Insider 19:16May 7, 2021Colombian protesters as young as 13 years old are being killed in the streets as they fight for a better future. The rest of the world should have their backs."Our generation is not going to be silenced by fear," one protester said. "We are going to push until things change for the better."
< Opinion, News, Politics, International, Opinion, BI Commentary, Colombia, Protests, Police Bruality, Latin America, Commentary Freelancer >
- Business Insider 16:33May 7, 2021Democrats are blowing it with their COVID messagingInstead of clinging to outdated COVID safety mandates, Biden and the Democrats should ditch outdoor mask-wearing and show people the vaccines work.
< Opinion, Politics, News, BI Commentary, Opinion, Joe Biden, masks, mask wearing, COVID, COVID-19, coronavirus, coronavirus pandemic, Vaccines, Civil liberties >
- Business Insider 16:00May 7, 2021Many wealthy countries have vaccinated their most vulnerable. An Oxford professor says now it's time to share shots with low-income nations - here's why."We have a moral duty to ensure that vaccines are shared, so that the most vulnerable in all societies get vaccinated now," says Andrew Pollard.
< Healthcare, Nordic, The Conversation, The Conversation US, COVID-19 vaccine, Vaccine distribution, Contributor, contributor 2019, Opinion, COVID >
- Business Insider 16:07May 6, 2021I'm an Amazon seller and I experienced how Amazon's hidden fees and crushing requirements choke out small businessesAmazon's mysterious algorithm and extra fees make selling products on the site difficult. Here is how Amazon kept my business from making a profit.
< Opinion, Retail, Tech Insider, Strategy, Small Business, Opinion, BI Commentary, Amazon, Amazon Sellers, Retail, Commentary Freelancer >
- Business Insider 16:05May 6, 2021Why we remember more by reading rather than listening to audio or watching videoPeople approach digital content with a casual mindset and devote less effort to comprehension than when there's a physical text in front of them.
< Strategy, Nordic, The Conversation, Reading, Books, Understanding, standardized testing, Print, Learning, Contributor, contributor 2019, Opinion >
- Business Insider 18:16May 5, 2021New York City doesn't need Andrew Yang as mayor, because NYC doesn't need a mascotNew York City needs a mayor who can solve the problems it faces - like child hunger and addressing police abuse - not a cheerleader with no expertise.
< Opinion, Politics, Andrew Yang, New York City, NYC Mayor, New York City Mayoral Race, Maya Wiley, Ray McGuire, Universal Basic Income, Bitcoin, Pandemic, BI Commentary, columnist, Opinion >
- The Independent Feed 17:30May 5, 2021By owning a pet, you are doing more damage to the environment than you might realiseTruth-telling about pets can be a painful process but cats and dogs, particularly, are having a devastating impact on the planet
< Opinion, Climate >
- Business Insider 16:05May 5, 2021Why collaborative agreements between the government and the community are the most effective way to reform policing in the USCities like Cincinnati have set an example with strong leadership and transparency, proving that community confidence is critical to police reform.
< Strategy, Nordic, The Conversation, Police, Police Reform, Police Brutality, Contributor, contributor 2019, Opinion >
- Business Insider 16:00May 5, 2021From tulips to bitcoin to NFTs - here's how the act of speculation became a financial maniaUniversity of Pittsburgh professor Gayle Rogers says people have long used financial speculation to take risks and make bets about the future.
< Strategy, Nordic, The Conversation, The Conversation US, Bitcoin, meme stock, NFT, SPACs, Contribuor, contributor 2019, Opinion >
- Business Insider 18:58May 4, 2021If we don't waive vaccine patents, thousands of people will needlessly dieClaims on the intellectual property of COVID-19 vaccines have slowed down their rollouts, needlessly resulting in the loss of life.
< Opinion, Politics, Science, Healthcare, Opinion, BI Commentary, COVID-19, COVID-19 vaccine, Patent, IP, Politics, Health >
- Business Insider 18:41May 4, 2021Why divorce rates could spike after the pandemic ends, according to a family and divorce lawyerValerie Tocci says financial and emotional stresses may cause tension in couples who are now spending the majority of their time together.
< Strategy, Careers, Nordic, Divorce, Couples, Lockdown, Relationships, Lawyer, original contributor, contributor 2019, Opinion, Laura Casado >
- Business Insider 16:44May 4, 2021How Biden's federal paid family leave package would improve employee retention and boost the economyThe estimated $225 billion plan would provide workers with up to $4,000 a month for 12 weeks in paid leave to care for a newborn or a loved one.
< Strategy, Nordic, The Conversation, working moms, Maternity Leave, Paternity Leave, Biden, Economy, Employee retention, Contributor, contributor 2019, Working parents, Opinion >
- Business Insider 15:34May 4, 2021Biden is getting closer to a deal with Iran, and Democrats in Congress need to get with the programTo restore the 2015 nuclear deal, Biden needs Congress' support, including that of hawkish Democrats.
< Military & Defense Contributors, Military & Defense, Politics Contributors, Politics, Joe Biden, iran nuclear deal, Iran, jcpoa, Bob Menendez, News Contributor, Opinion >
- The Independent Feed 11:19May 4, 2021Banks must stop funding new fossil fuel projects and phase out current production as fast as possibleWith the planet on fire already, the failure to include a moratorium on all new fossil fuel investments in the UN’s new climate initiative is disastrous
< Opinion, Climate >
- Business Insider 16:59May 3, 2021I'm a former hacker and I believe the current round of digital vaccine passports pose real security risks. But a safe, effective vaccine passport is possible.Many of these hastily-created apps can expose sensitive personal and health information. Companies need to keep working to build a safe passport.
< Opinion, Tech Insider, Healthcare, Politics, Opinion, BI Commentary, Tech, COVID-19, Vaccine Passports, hacker, covid vaccine, Cybersecurity >
- Business Insider 16:34May 2, 2021America hasn't addressed its brutal gun violence crisis because of cowardly, callous leadership. It's time for someone to be courageous.Gun deaths keep adding up and yet leaders do nothing to address the problem. How much tragedy would finally force this country to make real change?
< Opinion, Politics, News, gun violence, Joe Biden, Gun Control, Second Amendment, Supreme Court, Mass Shootings, BI Commentary, Opinion >
- Business Insider 16:25May 2, 2021Why declaring racism a public health crisis is an important step to closing racial gaps in healthcareThe US healthcare system is currently ranked 37th in the world. Treating racism as a public health threat is a signifiant step towards improvement.
< Healthcare, Nordic, The Conversation, Public Health, Public health crisis, Healthcare, Racism, Epidemic, Health, Contributor, contributor 2019, Opinion >
- Business Insider 16:05May 2, 20217 mentally tough people and the tactics they used to build resilience and perform under pressureMental performance coach Lauren Johnson says these tactics used by Kobe Bryant, David Goggins, and more helped them to overcome fear and defeat.
< Strategy, Nordic, The Profile, Resiliency, Mental Health, strength training, Contributor, contributor 2019, Opinion, Resilience, Success >
- Business Insider 15:03May 2, 2021Restaurant workers should keep collecting unemployment instead of going back to work for poverty wagesWhy would restaurant workers choose to go back to getting paid like dirt? Until employers raise prices, they're fine where they're at.
< Opinion, Politics, Economy, Markets, Retail, Opinion, BI Commentary, outdoor dining, Unemployment benefits, Unemployment insurance, Wages, Restaurants, Job Market, COVID >
- Business Insider 19:44May 1, 2021I ate like Warren Buffett for a week - and it was miserableCoca-Cola galore, ice cream for breakfast, steak, and no vegetables. Here's what it's like to diet like Warren Buffett.
< Opinion, Retail, Life, Markets, Features, Warren Buffett, The Buffett Diet, Coca-Cola, McDonald's, Arts & Culture, BI Commentary, Berkshire Hathaway, Charlie Munger >
- Business Insider 17:02May 1, 2021If Biden and Putin actually do meet, they shouldn't waste time listing the things they're mad aboutThe world's two largest nuclear-weapons powers have a responsibility to reduce tensions between them.
< Military & Defense Contributors, Military & Defense, Politics Contributors, Politics, Defense Priorities, News Contributor, Joe Biden, Vladimir Putin, US-Russia relations, Opinion >
- Business Insider 16:32May 1, 2021Fraudulent unemployment claims have cost the US tens of billions of dollars since the pandemic began. Congress and the Biden administration need to crack down on this abuse.Expanded unemployment benefits helped cushion the economic blow from the pandemic, but they also opened the door to a massive amount of fraud.
< Opinion, Politics, Economy, Unemployment insurance, Unemployed, pua, Kevin McCarthy, Michelle Steele, California, Pandemic, Gavin Newsom, Fraud, BI Commentary, Opinion >
- Business Insider 16:25May 1, 2021Extending the child tax credit could lift children out of poverty and set them up for a better future - here's howMany families will receive $3,000 per kid as part of the latest COVID relief package. If extended, this credit could cut child poverty by as much as 50%.
< Strategy, Nordic, The Conversation, Tax Credit, Kids, Education, SNAP, EITC, Contributor, contributor 2019, Opinion, Parents >
- Business Insider 16:05May 1, 2021Basecamp banned political discussions in the office. Ben & Jerry's cofounders say companies have a responsibility to get political and stand up for society.Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield became politically active during the Cold War. They believe we need to 'raise the bar' in terms of ethical businesses.
< Opinion, Strategy, Nordic, Retail, Opinion, Pitchfork Economics, Paul Constant, Podcast, Ben & Jerrys, Business, Basecamp, original contributor, contributor 2019 >
- Business Insider 16:04May 1, 2021Investors are trying to turn TikTok stars into movie stars - but the project is doomed to failA new startup is pouring millions into yet another attempt to bring internet stars to the big screen. But TikTok stars are not movies stars.
< Opinion, Tech Insider, Media, Opinion, BI Commentary, Tech, Media, TikTok, YouTube, Hollywood, Entertainment, Influencers, Creators >
- Business Insider 15:28May 1, 2021Biden's plan to raise corporate taxes will actually be good for American business, no matter how much CEOs whine and scaremonger about itThere's no data that says lower tax rates will foster more economic investment. Biden's plan to raise the corporate tax rate actually helps.
< Opinion, Politics, Economy, Opinion, BI Commentary, Corporate Tax Rate, Biden, Tax, Businesses, Economics, Politics >
- Business Insider 15:02May 1, 2021Biden's foreign policy team has made major unforced errors in their first few months on the jobPresident Biden's foreign policy leaves much to be desired, but it's not too late to reverse course.
< Opinion, Politics, Military & Defense, News, Opinion, BI Commentary, Foreign Policy, Immigration, Refugee, Trump, Joe Biden, refugee admissions >