- Business Insider 16:35October 19, 2021Trump mocks Nikki Haley for being 'eviscerated' by the GOP base, new book saysFollowing the Capitol riot, Haley said Trump had "fallen so far" and would no longer "be in the picture." She has since reversed her stance.
< Politics, News, Nikki Haley, Donald Trump, South Carolina, White House, Republicans, GOP, 2024 election >
- Business Insider 16:06October 19, 2021Manchin's $60,000 income threshold for Biden's expanded child tax credit could cause 37.4 million kids to lose out on federal aidIt amounts to 60% of eligible kids across the US facing sharp cuts, including many in West Virginia, according to a Niskanen Center analysis.
< Economy, Politics, Joe Manchin, Joe Biden, Bernie Sanders, Child tax credit, Biden child tax credit, Trump tax cuts, Donald Trump, child allowance, Child benefit, Congress, Republicans, Democrats, Kyrsten Sinema, analysis, BI Graphics >
- Business Insider 15:40October 19, 2021Trump calls Rep. Liz Cheney a 'psycho' who is 'not the brightest person in the world': bookTrump also said in an interview that Sen. Mitt Romney "couldn't be elected dog catcher" and that Sen. Mitch McConnell's "got no personality."
< Politics, News, Donald Trump, Liz Cheney, Republicans, Congress, election, GOP, Mitch McConnell, Mitt Romney, Impeachment >
- Business Insider 23:08October 18, 2021GOP Rep. Adam Kinzinger says a January 6 committee subpoena for Trump would become 'a circus' but remains a possibilityThe Republican lawmaker also defended President Joe Biden's comments on prosecuting individuals who defy January 6 subpoenas.
< Politics, News, Joe Biden, Adam Kinzinger, Donald Trump, Republicans, Congress, Democrats, january 6, Insurrection, riot, capitol, January 6 committee, Subpoena, Steve Bannon, election >
- New York Magazine 21:31October 18, 2021Is It Time for Democrats to Panic About Virginia — and the Midterms?Here’s some reassurance even for Democrats who are worried Glenn Youngkin’s defeat of Terry McAuliffe for governor would foretell a 2022 disaster.
< politics, elections of 2021, 2022 midterms, 2021 virginia gubernatorial election, terry mcauliffe, glenn youngkin, parental rights, donald trump, joe biden, 2010 midterms, partisan polarization, vision 2020, democrats, republicans >
- Business Insider 19:40October 18, 2021Australian politician rips into Sen. Ted Cruz for mocking COVID-19 vaccine requirements: 'We don't need your lectures, thanks mate'Australia's Northern Territory chief minister Michael Gunner told Cruz that he loves Texas "but when it comes to COVID, I'm glad we are nothing like you."
< Politics, News, Ted Cruz, Australia, COVID-19, coronavirus, Pandemic, Vaccine, mandate, Republicans, Texas, GOP >
- New York Magazine 15:00October 18, 2021Tim Scott Knows What He’s DoingWhy Republican donors are so excited about the South Carolina senator.
< republicans, us senate, tim scott, south carolina, racism >
- Breitbart News 00:20October 16, 2021Log Cabin Republicans Blast Pete Buttigieg: Transportation Secretary 'Went MIA' During Supply Chain CrisisThe largest organization of LGBT conservatives in the United States blasted Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg for being on paid leave to spend time with his husband and their two newborn babies during a supply chain crisis.
< Politics, Joe Biden, Log Cabin Republicans, Pete Buttigieg, Richard Grennell, supply chain >
- Business Insider 23:56October 15, 2021Biden concedes Democrats 'are not going to get $3.5 trillion' for their social spending bill as Manchin and Sinema force huge cutsBiden suggested that tuition-free community college could be dropped from the bill. "We're going to come back and get the rest," he said.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Policy, Joe Biden, Congress, Republicans, Democrats, Joe Manchin, Kyrsten Sinema, Child tax credit, Free community college, Economy >
- Business Insider 18:09October 15, 2021Trump praised Xi Jinping and Vladimir Putin, ranted about windmills, and pushed his baseless election fraud claims at a GOP retreat, report saysTrump said "Republicans need to stick together" while insulting two of his GOP foes at an event hosted by the Senate GOP's campaign arm.
< Politics, Donald Trump, GOP, senate republicans >
- Business Insider 06:29October 15, 2021A top GOP committee sent a message accusing supporters who hadn't donated of being traitors: 'You abandoned Trump.'The National Republican Congressional Committee sent a fundraising email to donors offering them a "final chance" to prove their loyalty.
< Politics, Trump, Republicans, Fundraising, House, 2022 election >
- Business Insider 05:33October 15, 2021A Republican group is putting up gigantic billboards to remind Trump that he lostRepublicans for Voting Rights, a group led by several GOP officials, put up the billboard in Times Square calling for an end to "sham audits."
< News, Politics, Trump, Republicans, Republican, Audit, vote count, Times Square >
- Business Insider 01:54October 15, 2021Biden's commission on Supreme Court reforms examines adding more justices and setting term limitsThe commissioners "are divided on whether court expansion would be wise," they wrote in their draft report.
< Politics, News, Joe Biden, Supreme Court, Justices, Reforms, Republicans, Democrats, Nominees, Packing >
- Business Insider 00:13October 15, 2021Democrats say they 'have no sense' of what Kyrsten Sinema wants in Biden's safety net package as she opposes tax hikesSinema is fundraising abroad while talks around Biden's spending plan stall, partly over her opposition to corporate and individual tax hikes.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Policy, Kyrsten Sinema, Joe Manchin, Joe Biden, Republicans, Democrats, House, Senate, Biden child tax credit, Trump tax cuts, Trump Tax Law, Reconciliation, Economy >
- Business Insider 22:02October 14, 2021Sonia Sotomayor says Supreme Court justices are 'sorely missing' diverse experience and that leaders aren't 'paying enough attention'Sotomayor said the Supreme Court justices lack experience in legal areas such as civil rights and immigration, which greatly affect the country.
< Politics, News, Supreme Court, Justices, Sonia Sotomayor, Republicans, Democrats, Joe Biden, Diversity, Legal, Law, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, John Roberts, Samuel Alito, Clarence Thomas, Amy Coney Barrett, Brett Kavanaugh, Neil Gorsuch, Elena Kagan, Stephen Breyer >
- New York Magazine 15:00October 14, 2021Trump Doesn’t Care How Ashli Babbitt DiedThe grim reality behind the ex-president’s “happy birthday” message to the slain Capitol rioter.
< ashli babbitt, donald trump, gop, republicans, conspiracy theories, capitol riots, january 6, 2020 election, politics >
- Huffington Post UK 11:57October 14, 2021Donald Trump Trolled With Massive Billboard Reminding Him He's A Loser
< Politics, Donald Trump, 2020 election, Republicans for Voting Rights, donald-trump, 2020-election, republicans-for-voting-rights >
- Business Insider 22:58October 13, 2021Jen Psaki says Biden still backs a $15 minimum wage, but he's done little to prod Congress on itWages are climbing with employers scrambling for workers, but up to 32 million workers would benefit from a pay bump to $15 an hour.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Joe Biden, jen psaki, White House, Republicans, Democrats, Minimum Wage, $15 an hour, $15 Minimum Wage, Bernie Sanders, Joe Manchin, Kyrsten Sinema, Stimulus, Biden stimulus, Policy, Economy >
- New York Magazine 20:52October 13, 2021Why Republicans May Go All In on Parental RightsVirginia gubernatorial candidate Glenn Youngkin thinks defending parents’ rights to dictate what happens in schools appeals to swing and base voters.
< politics, elections of 2021, virginia governor's race, education policy, schools, glenn youngkin, terry mcauliffe, teachers unions, school boards, republicans, homeschooling, charter schools, critical race theory, lgbtq rights, wokeness, 2022 midterms, parents rights >
- Business Insider 20:49October 13, 2021Sen. Elizabeth Warren says billionaires have 'enough money to shoot themselves into space' because they don't pay taxesBiden's spending package is going to be paid for by "billionaires who don't pay their taxes," Warren told The View on Wednesday.
< Politics, News, Elizabeth Warren, Democrats, Republicans, Senate, Congress, Billionaires, Joe Biden, Build Back Better, Legislation, Joe Manchin, Kyrsten Sinema >
- Business Insider 20:38October 13, 2021Democrats are already floating another social spending bill to 'put Republicans on the spot' on popular benefit expansions before the 2022 midtermsNancy Pelosi and her top lieutenants aren't ruling out another reconciliation bill if it means fulfilling more of Biden's domestic agenda.
< Economy, Politics, Policy, Joe Biden, Nancy Pelosi, Chuck Schumer, Kyrsten Sinema, Joe Manchin, Reconciliation, Medicare, Congress, Republicans, Democrats, White House, Safety net, Child tax credit, Biden child tax credit >
- New York Magazine 20:17October 13, 2021Mark Robinson Exposes the GOP’s Problem With Its BaseThe North Carolina lieutenant governor’s extreme culture-war positions may excite the MAGA faithful, but they’re broadly unpopular.
< politics, culture wars, republicans, mark robinson, donald trump, transphobia, homophobia, maga, extremism >
- Business Insider 17:30October 13, 2021Free community college, child tax credits, and affordable housing are among safety net measures on the chopping block as Democrats struggle to find middle ground with centrist holdoutsDemocrats are fuming at harsh cuts Manchin and Sinema want in Biden's social spending bill. Some are floating another Democratic-only bill next year.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Nancy Pelosi, Chuck Schumer, Joe Manchin, Kyrsten Sinema, Congress, Republicans, Democrats, Joe Biden, Child tax credit, Biden child tax credit, Free community college, Housing, House, Senate, Bernie Sanders, Policy, Economy >
- Business Insider 01:56October 13, 2021Rep. Adam Schiff couldn't find the words to comfort his 'devastated' staffers after Trump won the 2016 election"We're fucked," Schiff told his staffers, according to his new memoir.
< Politics, News, Adam Schiff, Congress, Democrats, Republicans, election, 2016, Donald Trump, Hillary Clinton >
- Business Insider 23:15October 12, 2021Rep. Adam Schiff says GOP leader Kevin McCarthy is 'absolutely' an 'insurrectionist in a suit and tie'If McCarthy becomes House speaker after the 2022 midterm elections, "he will do anything that Donald Trump tells him," Schiff wrote in his new book.
< Politics, News, Adam Schiff, Kevin McCarthy, Congress, capitol, Republicans, Democrats, Insurrection, riot, Donald Trump, CNN >
- The Guardian 20:25October 12, 2021Kamala Harris: European colonizers ‘ushered in wave of devastation for tribal nations’ – liveVice-president: ‘We must not shy away from this painful past’Concerns growing over slow pace of Congress in passing billsSign up to receive First Thing – our daily briefing by emailVice president Kamala Harris said today that Europeans who colonized the US “ushered in a wave of devastation for tribal nations, perpetrating violence, stealing land and spreading disease.”In remarks at the National Congress of American Indians 78th annual convention, Harris discussed the history of colonization in the Americas and its connection to present-day Indigenous communities. Continue reading...
< US news, US politics, Joe Biden, Democrats, Republicans, House of Representatives, US Congress, US domestic policy >
- Business Insider 19:17October 12, 2021Rep. Adam Schiff joked during the Capitol insurrection that 'someone really should have impeached that son of a bitch'Rep. Adam Schiff famously led Trump's first impeachment inquiry centering around his dealings with Ukraine.
< Politics, News, Adam Schiff, Congress, capitol, Insurrection, riot, Republicans, Democrats, Donald Trump, Impeachment, january 6 >
- Business Insider 18:47October 12, 2021New study blows a hole in Joe Manchin's argument that the revamped child tax credit discourages people from workingThe analysis found "statistically insignificant impacts" of the credit on job seeking and workforce participation - the opposite of Manchin's claim.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Joe Manchin, Joe Biden, Stimulus, Congress, Republicans, Democrats, Biden administration, Child tax credit, child allowance, Direct payment, fourth stimulus check, Policy, Economy >
- Business Insider 19:20October 11, 2021Treasury Secretary Yellen says she wants to get rid of the debt ceiling as McConnell threatens another default standoff in 2 monthsSenate Republicans say they will oppose raising the debt limit, sparking the threat of a devastating federal default in December.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Policy, Mitch McConnell, Janet Yellen, Republicans, Democrats, senate republicans, House, Joe Biden, National Debt, Debt Limit, Debt Ceiling, Economy >
- Business Insider 05:43October 10, 2021Tucker Carlson cites a 'smart analysis' from the Unabomber's manifesto during an interview with Andrew Yang about America's two-party systemJust days after his departure from the Democratic party, Yang joined Carlson to critique the two-party system and promote his hopeful third party.
< Politics, News, Tucker Carlson, Fox news, Andrew Yang, Two Party System, Unabomber, Manifesto, Forward Party, Republicans, Democrats >
- Breitbart News 23:57October 9, 2021Political Analyst: Democrat Party Is Too Elitist, Threatens Biden's Agenda and Future ElectionsDavid Shor, a Democrat political analyst, on Friday warned the Democrat Party has become too elitist, exclusive, and intolerant of the American workers and the American family, which is threatening President Biden's agenda in the Senate and future elections beyond 2022.
< Politics, Democrats, Donald Trump, New York Times, Republicans >
- Business Insider 13:20October 9, 2021Congress just set up another debt ceiling showdown in December. It will probably be fine since neither party really wants to default.Events from the past two weeks underscored one thing: Neither Republicans nor Democrats want to see the nation plunged into a fresh economic crisis.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Policy, Republicans, Democrats, Debt Ceiling, Debt standoff, National Debt, Economy, Mitch McConnell, Mitt Romney, Pat Toomey, Debbie Stabenow >
- Business Insider 09:29October 9, 2021After conceding to a debt limit extension Mitch McConnell criticized Chuck Schumer's leadership in a scathing letter to President BidenSenate Republicans blocked several attempts by Democrats to raise the country's debt ceiling limit before conceding a two-month extension.
< Politics, News, Economy, Mitch McConnell, Chuck Schumer, Congress, Republicans, Democrats, Debt Ceiling, Debt Limit, Biden, Joe Biden, President Joe Biden >
- Business Insider 23:22October 8, 2021Trump calls Kanye West a 'smart cookie' who has 'loony tendencies'Former President Donald Trump has teased a 2024 presidential run, and so has rapper and fashion designer Kanye West.
< Politics, News, Kanye West, Donald Trump, White House, Elections, campaign, Republicans, MAGA >
- Business Insider 22:09October 8, 2021Bernie Sanders dismisses sitting down with Manchin and Sinema to settle their big differences on the Democratic social spending bill: 'This is not a movie'Sanders is stepping up his criticism of the centrist pair and labeling them as obstructionists who are holding up Biden's economic plans.
< Economy, Politics, Bernie Sanders, Kyrsten Sinema, Joe Manchin, Joe Biden, White House, Congress, Republicans, Democrats, Biden infrastructure bill, Social Safety Net, Child tax credit, Free community college, Childcare, Medicare >
- Business Insider 17:45October 8, 2021Joe Manchin joined with Senate Republicans in condemning Chuck Schumer for a 'classless speech' before a debt limit voteSen. Manchin appeared visibly upset with Sen. Schumer's speech, pressing his hands to his face and shaking his head repeatedly as he sat behind him.
< Politics, Chuck Schumer, Joe Manchin, Debt Ceiling, debt ceiling 2021, US Senate lawmakers, senate republicans >
- The Guardian 16:21October 8, 2021US debt ceiling measure heads to the House as partisan tensions flare – liveSenate approves deal to extend government’s borrowing authoritySchumer condemns Republicans for playing ‘dangerous partisan game’Sign up to receive First Thing – our daily briefing by emailHello, live blog readers. Happy Friday. We’re not done with the debt limit deal yet - and, of course, let’s all remember, we won’t be done with the debt limit for a while as we’ll have to do this all again in a few weeks because the deal only extends the debt ceiling by $480bn through 3 December. Continue reading...
< US Congress, US news, World news, US politics, Joe Biden, Republicans, Democrats, House of Representatives, US Senate >
- Business Insider 03:32October 8, 2021Mitch McConnell caves on the debt ceiling as Congress poised to get another two months to avoid a government defaultSenate Republicans were in disarray earlier as they struggled to come up with enough support to clear an initial procedural vote.
< Economy, Markets, Politics, Economy, Congress, Debt Ceiling, US Debt, Government Debt, Debt Limit, US debt ceiling, US debt limit, Mitch McConnell, senate republicans, senate gop, Senate, Senate Democrats, Rand Paul >
- Business Insider 00:44October 8, 2021Trump blasted McConnell for 'folding to the Democrats.' Republican senators don't seem to care."He's not here right now," quipped GOP Sen. Ron Johnson of Wisconsin. Senators will likely vote today to kick the issue forward two more months.
< Politics, Mitch McConnell, senate republicans, former president donald trump, Trump >
- Business Insider 22:59October 7, 2021Mitch McConnell is struggling to get Senate Republicans behind his debt deal as the US nears possible default within two weeksA GOP senator told Insider McConnell would be "damn hard-pressed" to come up with the 10 Republican votes needed to extend the debt limit.
< Politics, Economy, Policy, Mitch McConnell, Congress, senate republicans, Debt Deal, Republicans, Democrats, Ted Cruz, Rand Paul, Debt Ceiling, Debt Limit, National Debt >
- New York Magazine 21:47October 7, 2021No, Mitch McConnell Didn’t ‘Cave’ on the Debt CeilingTalk of McConnell folding misses what he got out of the debt-limit deal: a vote he can use against Democrats in 2022 and more chaos down the road.
< politics, debt limit, mitch mcconnell, stopgap spending, chuck schumer, fy 2022 budget reconciliation, donald trump, maga, republicans, democrats >
- The Guardian 17:57October 7, 2021US Senate reaches deal to extend debt ceiling through early December – liveDow up 530 points on news of agreement reached over debt ceiling Judiciary committee details Trump’s efforts to overturn resultMark Meadows asked DoJ to open investigations multiple timesSign up to receive First Thing – our daily briefing by emailHere are some more details on the deal to extend the debt limit through December: It’s been a tense week of back-and-forth between Democrats and Republicans, bluffs on the filibuster, rebukes from the White House and scary words thrown like “economic catastrophe”. Continue reading...
< US news, Republicans, Democrats, US Congress, House of Representatives, US Senate, Joe Biden, World news, US politics, US elections 2020 >
- Business Insider 17:46October 7, 2021Trump slams McConnell for 'folding to the Democrats' after the senator offered to temporarily delay a default on the national debt"He's got all of the cards with the debt ceiling, it's time to play the hand. Don't let them destroy our Country!" Trump said.
< Politics, News, Economy, Donald Trump, Mitch McConnell, Debt Ceiling, Congress, Republicans, Democrats, Economy >
- Business Insider 22:09October 6, 2021How both Republicans and Democrats came to hate big techFacebook, Google, Twitter, and others have become punching bags on Capitol Hill, with lawmakers using them to drive their own political agendas.
< Tech Insider, Politics, Strategy, News, Social Media, tech companies, Politics, Democrats, Republicans, BI Graphics, Samantha Lee, analysis, Facebook, Twitter, Google >
- The Guardian 17:19October 6, 2021Senator urges more Facebook whistleblowers to come forward – liveRichard Blumenthal also called on Mark Zuckerberg to testify before Congress after Frances Haugen’s hard-hitting testimony on TuesdaySign up to receive First Thing – our daily briefing by emailThe Senate will vote today on raising the limit on the debt ceiling, which Congress must do before 18 October in order to avoid economic catastrophe (no hyperbole). Republicans have already twice used the filibuster to block efforts by the Democrats to raise the debt limit and are expected to do so once again today. Continue reading...
< US politics, US news, Facebook, US Congress, House of Representatives, US Senate, Democrats, Republicans, Joe Biden >
- The Guardian 08:30October 6, 2021Top Trump aides set to defy subpoenas in Capitol attack investigationSource says Meadows, Bannon and others will move to undercut House select committee inquiry – under instructions from TrumpFormer Trump White House chief of staff Mark Meadows and other top aides subpoenaed by the House select committee investigating the Capitol attack are expected to defy orders for documents and testimony related to 6 January, according to a source familiar with the matter.The move to defy the subpoenas would mark the first major investigative hurdle faced by the select committee and threatens to touch off an extended legal battle as the former president pushes some of his most senior aides to undercut the inquiry. Continue reading...
< US Capitol attack, US news, US politics, World news, Donald Trump, Trump administration, Republicans, House of Representatives, US Congress >
- Business Insider 04:48October 6, 2021Lindsey Graham was booed by Republican crowd after he suggested they consider getting vaccinatedGraham received his vaccine in December and credited the shot with milder side effects when he got a breakthrough case of COVID-19 this summer.
< Politics, Lindsey Graham, coronavirus, Vaccines, Republicans >
- Business Insider 23:11October 5, 2021Stephanie Grisham said working for Trump gave her a 'sick sense of pride' that she's 'not proud of'"If people say they don't love the powerful feeling in there, they're lying," Grisham told New York Magazine. "It's kind of gross."
< Politics, News, Stephanie Grisham, Donald Trump, White House, Republicans, political books, Republican Nomination, Elections, Trump administration >
- New York Magazine 20:09October 5, 2021A Manufactured Debt Limit Crisis Is a Bad Gamble for DemocratsCould be a “Heads I win, tails you lose” situation for McConnell and Republicans, since Democrats will be blamed for any economic fallout.
< politics, debt limit, debt default, mitch mcconnell, chuck schumer, fy 2022 budget resolution, fy 2022 budget reconciliation, 2022 midterms, democrats, republicans >
- Business Insider 14:50October 5, 2021Warren Buffett warned Congress that failing to raise the debt ceiling would be an epic mistake - and called for the limit to be eliminatedThe billionaire investor complained about lawmakers playing games, wasting time, and making silly statements when they clash over the debt ceiling.
< Markets, MI Exclusive, Markets, Warren Buffett, Berkshire Hathaway, Debt Ceiling, Government, Joe Biden, infrastructure bill, Politics, Charlie Munger, Democrats, Republicans, Debt Limit, Fiscal Policy >