- Forbes 18:43October 19, 2021Biden’s Latest Stimulus Package Is Fueling Short-Term Inflation, New Report FindsA regional Fed analysis argued that Biden’s stimulus package is boosting near-term inflation.
< Markets, /markets, Money, /money, Markets, /markets, Business, /business, Retail, /retail, Food & Drink, /food-drink, Personal Finance, /personal-finance, Banking & Insurance, /banking-insurance, Breaking, breaking-news, News, news, Business, Business >
- Business Insider 18:19October 19, 2021Chick-fil-A 'secretly' marks up food prices for delivery orders by up to 30%, according to a lawsuitThe lawsuit argues that the higher prices are deceptive because Chick-fil-A never explicitly tells customers about the up-charge.
< Retail, News, Chick-fil-A, Food, Fast Food, restaurant, Delivery, Retail, Uber Eats, Door Dash, GrubHub >
- Business Insider 18:04October 19, 2021I compared Subway's controversial tuna sub with Jimmy John's and the latter tasted a lot more like tunaSubway's tuna sub faced scrutiny this summer after allegations suggested it didn't contain tuna. I compared the Subway tuna sub to Jimmy John's.
< Retail, Features, Retail, Subway, Jimmy John's, Fast Food, Business Visual Features, review >
- Business Insider 17:54October 19, 2021I've worked at Ikea for 5 years, and customers have gotten so bad that I can't look at them the same anymore"The supply chain is a struggle," an Ikea employee told Insider. "A customer said we didn't have anything in stock because our company is socialist."
< Retail, Ikea, Customer Service, Retail, retail worker, Retail workers, Essay, Essays, Personal Essay, Personal Essays, BI-freelancer, contributor 2019, Contributor 2021, Business News Contributor >
- Business Insider 16:32October 19, 2021A Florida restaurant chain says staff got bigger tips after it hired a $1,000-a-month robot to carry plates. The robot gives servers more time with customers, the owner said.The Servi robot gives Sergio's Restaurant staff more time to serve and talk to customers, the owner and CEO told The NYT.
< Retail, News, Tech Insider, Retail, Robots, Restaurants, Customers, Hospitality, Pandemic, labor shortage >
- Business Insider 16:21October 19, 2021There's a record 100 ships floating off ports in Southern California despite Biden's 24/7 schedule100 ships are waiting at anchor or in holding areas to dock and unload. Before the pandemic, the ports never saw more than 17 ships waiting to dock.
< Retail, Transportation, News, Politics, Supply Chain, Port of Los Angeles, Port of Long Beach, Shipping, delays, Shortages, Boats >
- Business Insider 16:18October 19, 2021Reddit is vying for a spot in the new class of meme stocks as it targets individual investors for its public offering"I want our users to be shareholders, and I want our shareholders to be users," CEO Steve Huffman said ahead of an expected Reddit IPO next year.
< Markets, MI Exclusive, Reddit, Meme stocks, IPO, retail traders, Millennial Investing, Wall Street Bets, Direct Listing, GameStop, AMC, Robinhood >
- Business Insider 15:33October 19, 2021Lighting, fire pits, and heat lamps lead fall landscaping trends, according to one Lowe's exec"People are going to continue to derive extended enjoyment" from outdoor spaces as larger group gatherings slowly return, a Lowe's exec told Insider.
< Retail, Home Improvement, Lowes, BI Select, Fall, Autumn >
- Business Insider 15:15October 19, 2021One of NYC's first cannabis 'clubs' is already open for business, even though the state says selling weed is still illegal. Here's what it's like inside.Empire Cannabis Clubs offers "30 different delta-9 THC strains of flower, distillate cartridges, and delta-9 THC edibles," its co-owner told Insider.
< Retail, Cannabis, Cannabis, Dispensary, New York City, Manhattan, Marijuana, kathy hochul, Office of Cannabis Management, Cannabis Control Board, Empire Cannabis Clubs, Recreational marijuana, Retail, Stores >
- Business Insider 14:00October 19, 2021A 46-year-old Italian restaurant in St. Louis said it closed because it couldn't find enough staff. "There's nothing more we can do," its owners said.Restaurants have been hit hard by the labor shortage. The owners of Balducci's in St. Louis, Missouri, said they couldn't find enough staff.
< Retail, Economy, News, Restaurants, Hospitality, labor shortage, Hiring, Employment, Jobs, Work, Unemployment, St. Louis, Missouri >
- Business Insider 13:38October 19, 2021A billionaire grocery-store owner predicts food prices will surge 10% over the next 2 monthsJohn Catsimatidis, the owner of the New York City supermarket chain Gristede, said food companies would halt promotions and stop selling some items.
< Retail, News, Economy, Retail, Supermarket, Billionaire, Money, John Catsimatidis, Food, Food Prices >
- Business Insider 05:50October 19, 2021Satellite images show massive congestion at the Port of Long Beach this year compared to 2020 and 2019The port is coming off a record-breaking month of traffic as the entire industry reckons with logjams spurred by rising demand for consumer goods.
< Transportation, Retail, Markets, Features >
- Guardian 02:01October 19, 2021Tesco takes on Amazon Go with launch of ‘just walk out’ storeGetGo store uses weight sensors and skeleton outlines to track shoppers, who are billed when they leaveTesco is fighting back against Amazon with its first “just walk out” store, where it is possible to buy groceries without having to scan items or visit a till.The supermarket’s GetGo store in Holborn, central London, follows a small trial of a similar store at Tesco head office in Welwyn Garden City, which has been selling goods to the retailer’s staff since 2019. Continue reading...
< Tesco, Supermarkets, Retail industry, Business, Technology, UK news, London >
- Forbes 01:17October 19, 2021Enjoy Technology Launches On Nasdaq Raising More Than $250 Million To Accelerate Growth And Reinvent RetailRinging the opening bell at the Nasdaq stock exchange had to have been especially sweet for Ron Johnson, CEO of Enjoy Technology, which today listed under the ticker symbol ENJY following a combination with Marquee Raine Acquisition Corp.
< Retail, /retail, Business, /business, Retail, /retail >
- Forbes 23:39October 18, 2021Macy’s Shares Jump Over 17% After Activist Investor Pushes For Online SpinoffMacy’s stock has been surging as speculation rises around a possible spinoff of the company’s online business.
< Markets, /markets, Money, /money, Markets, /markets, Business, /business, Retail, /retail, Investing, /investing, Hedge Funds & Private Equity, /hedge-funds-private-equity, Breaking, breaking-news, News, news, Business, Business >
- Forbes 23:36October 18, 2021Saks Fifth Avenue Said To Be Readying IPO Valuing Luxury Department Store At $6 Billion; Retail Stocks Surge On NewsSaks Fifth Avenue has been mulling a potential IPO for its rapidly-growing e-commerce business, and will pull the trigger for a listing pegged to the first half of 2022 with a valuation of about $6 billion.
< Retail, /retail, Business, /business, Retail, /retail >
- Business Insider 22:07October 18, 2021Amazon, Walmart, and hundreds more companies were warned by regulators that they could face steep fines if they use fake reviews or other deceptive endorsementsCompanies like Amazon and Walmart were warned they could be fined up to $43,792 per violation if they use deceptive endorsements like fake reviews.
< Retail, FTC, Amazon, Walmart, Tesla, Target, Facebook, Apple, Fake reviews, Deceptive advertising, Endorsements >
- Business Insider 21:43October 18, 2021Dip-buying day traders are helping fend off a looming stock collapse - and institutions have no choice but to follow suit, Morgan Stanley saysThe answer to whether the Evergrande-induced stock-market dip scared away retail traders is "a definitive no," Morgan Stanley said.
< Markets, Reddit, retail traders, Morgan Stanley, Millennial Investing, buy the dip, Meme stocks, GameStop, AMC, Evergrande, MI Exclusive, dip buying, stock market trends 2021, Stock Market Analysis, Stock Market Outlook, Investing Outlook >
- Forbes 20:50October 18, 2021What’s A Surefire Way To Hit ESG Targets? Start With TransparencyIn today’s world where platforms and data are a part of everyone’s strategy, governance for securing that data is paramount—one example for the focus on the “g” aspects of ESG and how it can foster a safer future and better corporate returns.
< Retail, /retail, Business, /business, Retail, /retail >
- Business Insider 20:43October 18, 2021Apple unveils next-generation AirPods with shorter stems and 'spatial audio'Apple's $179, third-generation AirPods come with surround sound-like "spatial audio" that customizes sound to the wearer's ear.
< Tech Insider, Retail, News, Apple Mac Event 2021, Apple, AirPods >
- Breitbart News 20:19October 18, 2021Fact Check: Buttigieg Brags About Inflation Boosted Retail SalesOnce you adjust for inflation, September's retail sales were not all that impressive.
< Economy, Politics, #Bidenflation, inflation, Pete Buttigieg, retail sales >
- Forbes 20:05October 18, 2021Kroger’s Store-Less Expansion Model Looks Like The FutureThe grocery giant appears to be paving the way for a new 21st century style of expansion with its use of automated warehouses, spoke hubs and micro-fulfillment centers to move into markets without having to open stores.
< Retail, /retail, Business, /business, Retail, /retail, business, retail >
- Business Insider 19:12October 18, 2021Rolex Daytonas have outperformed the stock market over the past year as collectors pile in to the $20 billion secondary market for luxury watchesPrices for the century-old Swiss brand's watches are going up weekly, but the CEO of Bob's Watches says they're still a relatively affordable luxury.
< Retail, News, Rolex, Rolex Daytona, Bob's Watches, luxury watches, Swiss Watches, Watches >
- Business Insider 19:02October 18, 2021A high school is teaching teens to drive big rigs during the nationwide trucker shortageAmid a shortage in truck drivers, one high school is offering an elective class in truck driving to attract young talent to the industry.
< Transportation, Retail, News, Truck, Trucking, trucking industry, labor shortages, Truck driver, High School, Teenagers, truck driver shortage, vocational education, supply chain crisis, supply chain issues >
- Business Insider 18:49October 18, 2021We tried 'cell-grown' salmon that looks, feels, and tastes real. Its makers want it to be the norm someday."Cultivated" meat seems real because, according to companies making it, it is real - and it could help with ocean health, pollution, and other crises.
< Retail, Food, restaurant, Restaurants, Seafood, salmon, Fish, Fishing, Fishing industry, Fast Food, BI-freelancer, contributor 2019, Contributor 2021, Business News Contributor >
- Business Insider 18:45October 18, 2021I'm striking at Kellogg. Our bosses are so disconnected, and we need to win to protect future generations."I don't want to leave my workplace worse than I found it, even if this fight doesn't directly impact me," a Kellogg employee told Insider. "I can't."
< Retail, Economy, News, Kellogg's, Strike, strikes, Cereal, Factory Workers, labor movement, BI-freelancer, contributor 2019, Contributor 2021, Business News Contributor >
- Business Insider 18:45October 18, 2021Texas Roadhouse, Olive Garden, and other casual chains benefit from independent restaurant closures of the last yearAn analyst says the restaurant closures benefitted large chains by reducing competition for customers.
< Retail, Retail, Restaurants, Texas Roadhouse, Olive garden, Darden Restaurants, Longhorn Steakhouse, Cheesecake Factory, Casual Dining, Suburbs >
- Forbes 18:02October 18, 2021Honey, I Shrunk The Store. Retailers Go Small To Get Big.What’s new—and potentially strategically impactful—are emerging concepts from legacy retailers that aren’t driven merely by value engineering their mature flagship model.
< Retail, /retail, Business, /business, Retail, /retail, business, Retail >
- Forbes 17:18October 18, 2021Amazon Dangles $3,000 Bonus In Push To Compete For Holiday HelpIt is the latest retailer to introduce special pay or perks in an effort to meet ambitious hiring goals in a tough labor environment.
< Retail, /retail, Business, /business, Retail, /retail, business, lists >
- Business Insider 16:26October 18, 2021Shopify has witnessed both stellar growth and cultural challenges during the pandemic. Insiders reveal what it's like to work at the e-commerce company.Insiders reveal what Shopify's culture is like, what's behind the exodus of exec talent at the e-commerce company, and how it works with developers.
< Retail, Retail, Shopify, BI Graphics, Marianne Ayala >
- Forbes 14:15October 18, 2021Why Halloween Will ChangeOctober 31 is the date most goblins fear. Moms and dads will march with their children. Buy what about the Gen-Z generation who wants to celebrate.
< Retail, /retail, Business, /business, Retail, /retail, business, walterloebblog >
- Business Insider 11:48October 18, 2021Toymakers are focusing on selling soft, squishy toys this holiday season as space in storage containers is so limitedThe supply chain crisis means companies are finding it harder and more expensive to find space on shipping containers.
< Retail, News UK, Speed desk, Cargo ship, Shipping container, Shipping containers, Supply Chain, supply chain issues >
- Business Insider 11:14October 18, 2021The shipping crisis has gotten so bad that some companies are chartering air cargo planes for $2 million or more for a single flightSeeking to avoid the shipping crisis, desperate retailers are chartering planes for up to $2 million - sometimes even more - to get their goods shipped from Asia to the US.
< Transportation, Planes, Shipping Crisis, Transportation & Logistics, Transportation, air freight, Trade, Retail >
- Business Insider 08:57October 18, 2021Netflix isn't available in China but that hasn't stopped businesses there from cashing in on the 'Squid Game' frenzy with merchDespite not being technically available in China, "Squid Game" has taken off in the country, and retailers are selling dalgona candy and costumes to fans of the South Korean hit.
< Entertainment, News, Squid Game, Entertainment, China, South Korea, Netflix, Retail, merchandise >
- Business Insider 07:01October 18, 2021If you're planning on shopping at Walmart for the holidays, here's your guideEach of Walmart's sales events will start online and then move into brick-and-mortar locations a few days later. The first on kicks off on November 3.
< Retail, Walmart, BI Select, Black Friday, Black Friday 2021, Holiday 2021 >
- Business Insider 03:09October 18, 2021Walgreens cited shoplifting as rationale for closing 5 stores in San Francisco, but local officials, data, and experts cast doubt on that explanationPolice data obtained by the San Francisco Chronicle found the closing stores had on average less than two shoplifting reports per month since 2018.
< News, Retail, Walgreens, San Francisco, Shoplifting, closures, Theft, Retail >
- Forbes 20:00October 17, 2021Experiential Retailer Camp Widens Its Playing Field With New Mall StoreToy startup Camp is opening a new store, and guess where it is? On the site of a failed Toys R Us experiment in experiential retail.
< Retail, /retail, Business, /business, Retail, /retail, business >
- Business Insider 17:31October 17, 2021Hooters adjusts policy to make controversial new uniform optional for employees after outcry over skimpy new shorts that are 'like underwear'"We are clarifying that they have the option to choose from traditional uniforms or the new ones," a spokesperson wrote in an email to Insider.
< Retail, News, Hooters, Retail, Restaurants, TikTok, Digital Culture, News, weekend BI US >
- Business Insider 17:28October 17, 2021Inside the rise of pumpkin spice - the millennial obsession that everyone loves to hateIt all started with a 1798 "pompkin" pie recipe. Then came Starbucks' Pumpkin Spice Latte.
< Economy, Markets, Retail, Economy, Millennials, Pumpkin Spice Latte, Starbucks, pumpkin spice, Latte, Consumer spending, analysis, Fall, Autumn >
- Business Insider 16:36October 17, 2021I went to TGI Fridays for the first time in years and I was pretty impressed by its menu, including its delicious new Beyond Meat vegan burgerI ordered TGI Fridays' new To Vegan and Beyond Burger, which came with a Beyond Meat patty and vegan applewood cheese.
< Retail, Features, TGI Fridays, review, restaurant, Food, Fast Food, Fast-casual food, Weekend BI UK, Beyond Meat, Beyond Burger, Restaurants >
- Business Insider 15:57October 17, 2021I travel the world for free as a wedding planner for the rich and famous. This is what my job is like.I traded having kids for traveling the world for free, working 16-hour days, and planning one-of-a-kind weddings for celebrities and billionaires.
< Careers, Travel, Retail, wedding, Weddings, Wedding Planner, Wedding planning, Billionaire, Millionaire, Travel, Retail, destination wedding, Finance, Entertainment, Luxury, Small Business, Celebrity, original contributor, contributor 2019, Contributor 2021, Business News Contributor, Business News Desk, Business News Team, Business News, Business News Features >
- Business Insider 15:34October 17, 2021The supply chain crisis is partly your fault, and you can help fix itSoaring demand has prompted a problematic "bull-whip effect" in the supply chain world, resulting in delays and shortages.
< Retail, Supply Chain, Holiday 2021, Holiday, analysis >
- Business Insider 15:00October 17, 2021I visited The Cheesecake Factory for the first time to see why sales are skyrocketing, and I was disappointed by mediocre food at high pricesThe menu was extensive, but I didn't think the meals were particularly good compared to other casual chains like Texas Roadhouse and Olive Garden.
< Retail, Features, Retail, Business Visual Features, Restaurants, Casual Dining, Cheesecake Factory, chain restaurant >
- Business Insider 14:17October 17, 2021Tennessee restaurant ends its late-night service after unruly customers harassed staff and drew guns inside the premises, its owners sayMid City Grill, a restaurant in Johnson City, Tennessee, is rethinking its late-night operations after a spate of disorderly behaviour, reports said.
< Retail, News, Weekend BI UK, restaurant, Unruly, Customers, Retail, employee, restaurant workers, gun violence >
- Business Insider 12:36October 17, 2021Man files class-action lawsuit against Canon, seeking more than $5 million in damages over printers that won't scan documents when ink cartridges are lowA customer in Queens, New York, filed a class-action complaint against Canon, which centered on the scanning function of its All-in-One printers.
< Tech Insider, Retail, News, Weekend BI UK, Electronics, Tech, Canon, Printers, Scanners, Law, Class Action >
- Business Insider 12:08October 17, 2021A restaurant owner is paying his teen workers to do their homework before their shifts, in an attempt to retain them amid the labor shortageXplore Lakeside in Hot Springs Village lets its teen workers do their homework for an hour before their shifts start to help encourage them to stay.
< Retail, News, Weekend BI UK, labor shortage, restaurant workers, Business Owners, Retail, restaurant, Labor Conditions, Labor crisis >
- Business Insider 12:01October 17, 2021I tried Burger King's 2 new gourmet burgers while blindfolded. They tasted good but I couldn't believe they cost $12 each.Burger King's $12 Gourmet Steakhouse burger tasted very similar to another burger costing $8. And there could have been more toppings.
< Retail, News, Features, Burger King, Burger King UK, Burger, Fast Food, Retail, review, Weekend BI UK >
- Business Insider 20:05October 16, 2021Giant retailers like Walmart rob American consumers of choice. Here's how antitrust regulation could help resurrect local businesses.If Walmart had to compete on even ground with small businesses from day one, America's highways and downtowns would look very different right now.
< Opinion, Economy, Nordic, Retail, Pitchfork Economics, Paul Constant, Opinion, Economy, Capitalism, Walmart, Amazon, original contributor, Contributor 2021, Small Business >
- Business Insider 18:56October 16, 2021Hooters employees are pushing back against new revealing uniforms that include shorts so short that they're 'like underwear'"Soooo Hooters got new panties. I mean shorts," wrote one TikTok user. "Love my job but don't love wearing undies to work," wrote another.
< Retail, News, Restaurants, Hooters, Retail, sexualization, Women's Rights, weekend BI US >
- Business Insider 18:25October 16, 2021A restaurant owner mistook a teenager's Lego gun for a real weapon, sparking a major police operation, reports sayA 15-year-old boy carrying a Lego gun sparked a major incident, causing multiple patrols cars to race to the scene in the German town of Lindau.
< International, Retail, News, Weekend BI UK, Police, Lego, legobricks, Gun, gun accident, Germany, Retail, restaurant owners >