- The Guardian 15:16January 16, 2022Ukraine says evidence points to Russia being behind cyber-attackClaim comes as Microsoft warns hack that hit government websites could be worse than first fearedUkraine has said it has “evidence” Russia was behind a massive cyber-attack that knocked out key government websites last week, while Microsoft warned the hack could be far worse than first thought.Tensions are at an all-time high between Ukraine and Russia, which Kyiv accuses of having massed troops on its border before a possible invasion. Some analysts fear the cyber-attack could be the prelude to a military attack. Continue reading...
< Ukraine, Europe, World news, Microsoft, Russia, Cyberwar, Hacking, Espionage, Computing, Internet, Technology >
- New York Times 11:00January 16, 2022Russia Issues Subtle Threats More Far-Reaching Than a Ukraine InvasionIf the West fails to meet its security demands, Moscow could take measures like placing nuclear missiles close to the U.S. coastline, Russian officials have hinted.
< United States International Relations, Defense and Military Forces, Cyberwarfare and Defense, North Atlantic Treaty Organization, Biden, Joseph R Jr, Putin, Vladimir V, Russia, Ukraine, United States >
- FoxNews 00:24January 16, 2022Russia tightens grip on energy role as Europe enters crisis: Deputy PM blames 'short-sighted policy'US State Department officials held talks with international energy companies on contingencies should Russia invade Ukraine.
< ec7f6140-5e73-5b04-aa1c-699931f55112, fox-news/world/world-regions/russia, fox-news/world/world-regions/europe, fox-news/us/energy, fox-news/world/conflicts, fox-news/politics/foreign-policy/state-department, fnc, fox-news/world, article, Fox News, Peter Aitken >
- The Guardian 18:35January 15, 2022UK defence minister warns of ‘consequences’ if Russia invades UkraineBen Wallace issues second warning this week as Liz Truss accuses Moscow of waging ‘disinformation campaign’An incursion by Russia into Ukraine would violate the “most basic freedoms and sovereignty”, the defence secretary has said following a visit to Scandinavia.Issuing a second warning in a week to Moscow, Ben Wallace said there would be “consequences” of any Russian aggression towards Ukraine. Continue reading...
< Ukraine, Russia, Ben Wallace, Liz Truss, Europe, Vladimir Putin, World news, Politics, UK news, US news >
- Breitbart News 10:44January 15, 2022GOP Rep. Gallagher: Russia Engaging in 'Preparation' for Invasion of Ukraine and Dems Gave Them a 'Gift' by Blocking SanctionsOn Friday’s “Hugh Hewitt Show,” Rep. Mike Gallagher (R-WI) said that he thinks the cyberattack in Ukraine “portends an invasion. I would call this preparation of the battlespace right now.” And argued that Democrats gave Russia “a gift” by blocking
< Clips, Politics, Joe Biden, Mike Gallagher, Nord Stream 2, Russia, Ukraine >
- The Guardian 08:00January 15, 2022Scepticism in uneasy Kazakhstan as president promises reformThousands of people still in jail after protests while behind-the-scenes power struggle continuesKazakhstan’s president, Kassym-Jomart Tokayev, who at the height of unrest last week said he had ordered troops to shoot to kill without warning, has spent this week taking a softer line and promising genuine reform.However, with thousands of people still in detention and a behind-the-scenes power struggle still not fully resolved, many have expressed scepticism. Continue reading...
< Kazakhstan, South and Central Asia, Russia, Protest >
- New York Times 03:09January 15, 2022Ransomware Group REvil Dismantled in Raids, Russia SaysMoscow said the ransomware group REvil “ceased to exist” after raids and arrests. It is not clear if the operation will ease tensions with Washington.
< Extortion and Blackmail, Computer Security, Cyberwarfare and Defense, Cyberattacks and Hackers, REvil (Hacking Group), Federal Security Service, Putin, Vladimir V, Biden, Joseph R Jr, Russia, Ukraine >
- Business Insider 21:04January 14, 2022US intelligence suggests Russia has operatives in place for a possible false-flag operation to justify invading UkraineWarnings that Russia may be looking for a pretext to invade Ukraine come as talks with the US and NATO have stalled.
< Military & Defense, International, Politics, News, Russia, Ukraine, False Flag, US intelligence, NATO, Invasion >
- FoxNews 21:00January 14, 2022Russia backs off from unpopular COVID-19 restrictionsThe Russian government on Friday chose to delay adopting unpopular legislation restricting access to public places for the unvaccinated, despite an COVID-19 infection surge and warnings from top officials about the spread of the omicron variant.
< f122b02b-aabd-5e62-b11e-0a9258e54869, fox-news/world/world-regions/russia, fox-news/world, fox-news/health/infectious-disease/coronavirus, fox-news/topic/associated-press, fnc, fox-news/world, article, Associated Press >
- FoxNews 20:40January 14, 2022Russia preparing false-flag operation as pretext for Ukraine invasion, US warnsThe United States is concerned that the Russian government is preparing for an invasion into Ukraine that may result in widespread human rights violations and war crimes, a U.S. official said Friday.
< 0d8f03ec-d7d4-5592-a661-e6b7f154e7b3, fox-news/world/world-regions/russia, fox-news/politics/executive/white-house, fox-news/world/conflicts/ukraine, fnc, fox-news/politics, article, Fox News, Brooke Singman, Jacqui Heinrich >
- Business Insider 20:12January 14, 2022Russia warns it's 'run out of patience' while doubling down on demands the US and NATO have said they won't acceptA US envoy in Europe warned that Moscow is banging the "drumbeat of war," amid growing concerns Russia will invade Ukraine.
< Military & Defense, Politics, News, International, Sergey Lavrov, Russia, Ukraine, NATO >
- The Guardian 18:54January 14, 2022US claims Russia planning ‘false-flag’ operation to justify Ukraine invasionOfficials: Moscow has already positioned saboteurs in UkraineAllegation arrives on day Ukraine hit by ‘massive’ cyber-attackThe US has alleged Russia has already positioned saboteurs in Ukraine to carry out a “false flag” operation to use as a pretext for a Russian attack, which Washington says could begin in the coming month.The allegations, following similar claims by the government in Kyiv, come after the failure of a week of diplomacy to defuse the crisis provoked by Russia’s massing of over 100,000 troops near Ukraine’s borders. Moscow has persistently portrayed the crisis as a military threat from Ukraine against Russia, without providing any evidence. Continue reading...
< Russia, Ukraine, US news, World news, Europe >
- Business Insider 13:08January 14, 2022Ukraine was hit by a massive cyberattack telling people to 'be afraid and expect the worst' as tensions with Russia riseMultiple government websites crashed on Friday. A top Ukrainian security official told Reuters the cyberattack was likely carried out by Russia.
< Politics, Military & Defense, Tech Insider, News UK, Ukraine, Russia, Cyberattack >
- New York Times 13:00January 14, 2022Fear of Russia Brings New Purpose and Unity to NATO, Once AgainAfter years of drift, Trumpian ridicule and failure in Afghanistan, Russian demands for a new Iron Curtain in Europe have created unity in the alliance, at least for now.
< Politics and Government, Defense and Military Forces, United States International Relations, War and Armed Conflicts, United States Defense and Military Forces, United States Politics and Government, Cold War Era, European Union, North Atlantic Treaty Organization, Biden, Joseph R Jr, Macron, Emmanuel (1977- ), Putin, Vladimir V, Europe, Poland, Russia, Baltic Region, Ukraine >
- The Guardian 11:45January 14, 2022Ukraine hit by ‘massive’ cyber-attack on government websitesSuspected Russian hackers leave message warning: ‘Ukrainians … be afraid and expect worse’Ukraine has been hit by a “massive” cyber-attack, with the websites of several government departments including the ministry of foreign affairs and the education ministry knocked out.Officials said it was too early to draw any conclusions but they pointed to a “long record” of Russian cyber assaults against Ukraine, with the attack coming after security talks between Moscow and the US and its allies this week ended in stalemate. Continue reading...
< Ukraine, Russia, Cyberwar, World news, Technology, Internet, Hacking, Europe, Espionage >
- New York Times 10:47January 14, 2022Hackers Bring Down Government Sites in UkraineA cyberattack defaced the Foreign Ministry website with a message saying “Be afraid,” a day after the latest round of high-stakes talks intended to forestall a Russian invasion.
< Cyberwarfare and Defense, North Atlantic Treaty Organization, Ukraine, Russia >
- Modern Tokyo Times 04:26January 14, 2022Kazakhstan witnesses quick pull out of CSTO forces: Turkmenistan and UzbekistanKazakhstan witnesses quick pull out of CSTO forces: Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan Sawako Utsumi and Lee Jay Walker Modern Tokyo Times President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev of Kazakhstan was quick to request the support of members of the Collective Security Treaty Organization (CSTO). This was after a planned uprising occurred that witnessed two members of the security forces […]
The post Kazakhstan witnesses quick pull out of CSTO forces: Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan first appeared on Modern Tokyo Times.
< America, Asia, Geopolitics, Miitary Conflict, Russian Federation, Biden debacle in Afghanistan, Central Asia news, Crisis in Kazakhstan, CSTO enters Kazakhstan, CSTO helps Kazakhstan, CSTO pulls out of Kazakhstan, Geopolitical news, http://moderntokyotimes.com, Japan news agency, Kazakhstan and CSTO mission, Kazakhstan asks for CSTO help, Kazakhstan tensions, Lee Jay Walker, Modern Tokyo News, Modern Tokyo Times, Putin says CSTO mission accomplished in Kazakhstan, Russian backed CSTO mission in Kazakhstan, Security news, Tensions in Kazakhstan, Terrorism in Kazakhstan, Tokayev and CSTO mission, Tokayev and national security, Tokayev and Vladimir Putin, Tokayev in shoot to kill policy, US debacle in Afghanistan >
- FoxNews 04:16January 14, 2022Chief of Naval Operations says continuing resolutions and inflation are damaging readinessChief Of Naval Operations Admiral Michael M. Gilday issued a stark warning to lawmakers about the dangers of funding the military under continuing resolutions, testifying that the lack of a stable and predictable budget will harm the Navy's ability to confront adversaries, such as China and Russia.
< 1da2943c-c679-5178-8b72-5ba37c68d9b0, fox-news/us/military/navy, fox-news/us/military/air-force, fox-news/us/military, fox-news/us/congress, fox-news/person/joe-biden, fox-news/world/world-regions/china, fox-news/world/world-regions/russia, fox-news/politics/defense, fnc, fox-news/politics, article, Fox News, Michael Lee >
- Business Insider 01:26January 14, 2022Democrats tank Ted Cruz's Nord Stream 2 sanctions bill, accusing him of trying to derail US diplomacy amid Ukraine tensionsDemocrats tanked Ted Cruz's bill to sanction Nord Stream 2, a gas pipeline from Russia to Germany.
< Politics, International, News, Ted Cruz, Nord Stream 2, Ukraine, Russia >
- FoxNews 23:13January 13, 2022Putin is picking a fight he can't win with UkraineHere are four reasons why the military balance doesn’t look good for a Russian move on Ukraine.
< 427741ae-c912-5397-abaa-0fee881498dc, fox-news/opinion, fox-news/world/conflicts/ukraine, fox-news/world/world-regions/russia, fox-news/world/personalities/vladimir-putin, fox-news/world, fnc, fox-news/opinion, article, Fox News, Rebecca Grant >
- Business Insider 21:18January 13, 2022Russia warns it will sever ties with the US if it sanctions Putin over Ukraine crisisSenate Democrats on Wednesday unveiled legislation to punish Russia, including slapping sanctions on Putin, if it invades Ukraine.
< Politics, Military & Defense, News, International, Russia, Ukraine, Vladimir Putin, Germany, Nord Stream 2 >
- Business Insider 20:21January 13, 2022Russia could use failed talks with US and NATO as 'pretext' for invading Ukraine, experts and officials warn"In a real sense," one expert said, "this does give them a kind of veil of legitimacy if they decide to invade Ukraine."
< Military & Defense, Politics, International, News, Russia, Ukraine, NATO, Vladimir Putin >
- Breaking Defense 20:17January 13, 2022Russia’s defense industry might not survive an invasion of UkraineRussian industry is already struggling with sanctions and export limits. An invasion of Ukraine could be disastrous for them – and, politically, might spell doom for Vladimir Putin’s regime.
< Air Warfare, Global, Land Warfare, rostec, Russia, SU-75 Checkmate, Ukraine, Vladimir Putin >
- Business Insider 17:46January 13, 2022Top Russian diplomat says there no point in further Ukraine talks as European leaders warn of the risk of war"There is, to a certain extent, a dead end or a difference in approaches," Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov said on Russian television.
< Military & Defense, News, Speed desk, Breaking, Russia, Ukraine, Conflict >
- The Guardian(UK) 16:57January 13, 2022Russia says talks with Nato over Ukraine are hitting a dead endOSCE mission warns ‘crisis on the continent may arise’ as Polish foreign minister says Europe faces greatest risk of war in 30 yearsRussia has said talks with Nato over Ukraine were hitting a dead end, while threatening to take unspecified “necessary measures” if its demands were not met.A volley of downbeat statements from Russian senior officials emerged as Poland’s foreign minister, Zbigniew Rau, warned that Europe faced its greatest risk of war in 30 years. Continue reading...
< Russia, Ukraine, Nato >
- New York Times 16:46January 13, 2022Russia and West at Impasse as Ukraine Urges Reversal of Troop BuildupIn a third round of diplomacy on Eastern European security this week, Kremlin officials sounded an increasingly pessimistic note, though they did not close the door on future talks.
< Defense and Military Forces, United States International Relations, Politics and Government, War and Armed Conflicts, North Atlantic Treaty Organization, Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe, Lavrov, Sergey V, Putin, Vladimir V, Ryabkov, Sergei A, Eastern Europe, Europe, Poland, Russia, Ukraine >
- Breitbart News 13:24January 13, 2022Macron Threatens to Hold 'Accountable' Online Outlets Publishing Foreign 'Propaganda’French President Emmanuel Macron has threatened to hold "accountable" online outlets publishing foreign 'propaganda' for consumption in France.
< London / Europe, Politics, Tech, alternative media, Emmanuel Macron, EU, Europe, European Union, fake news, France, propaganda, Russia, Russian hacking >
- New York Times 11:00January 13, 2022For Putin, Propping Up Allies Is Turning Into a Perilous BargainThe Russian leader is fighting fires on multiple fronts, illustrating the danger of his strategy of relying on force to aid his autocratic neighbors.
< Putin, Vladimir V, Russia, North Atlantic Treaty Organization, Defense and Military Forces, United States International Relations, Cold War Era, War and Armed Conflicts, Demonstrations, Protests and Riots, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Belarus >
- The Guardian(UK) 08:00January 13, 2022Increased repression and violence a sign of weakness, says Human Rights WatchWatchdog’s latest report argues autocrats around the world are getting desperate as opponents form coalitions to challenge themIncreasingly repressive and violent acts against civilian protests by autocratic leaders and military regimes around the world are signs of their desperation and weakening grip on power, Human Rights Watch says in its annual assessment of human rights across the globe.In its world report 2022, the human rights organisation said autocratic leaders faced a significant backlash in 2021, with millions of people risking their lives to take to the streets to challenge regimes’ authority and demand democracy. Continue reading...
< Human rights, Global development, Protest, China, Myanmar, World news, Asia Pacific, South and Central Asia, Human rights, Law, Uyghurs, LGBT rights, Europe, Poland, Arms trade, Turkey, Russia >
- FoxNews 01:57January 13, 2022Senate Democrats introduce bill with sanctions on Russian aggression against UkraineSenate Democrats on Wednesday unveiled a bill to sanction Russia should it take any action over Ukraine in an effort to counter Sen. Ted Cruz’s own measure on the issue.
< fc605476-d705-5daf-a904-6cbf10ba2861, fox-news/world/world-regions/russia, fox-news/politics/senate, fox-news/person/ted-cruz, fox-news/politics/senate/democrats, fox-news/world/conflicts/ukraine, fnc, fox-news/world, article, Fox News, Peter Aitken >
- New York Times 23:48January 12, 2022NATO and Russia Talk Frankly, but Past One Another for NowFour hours of frank and serious discussion between Russia and the 30-member alliance leave unanswered whether Vladimir V. Putin will choose diplomacy or war.
< United States International Relations, Defense and Military Forces, Politics and Government, War and Armed Conflicts, United States Defense and Military Forces, Arms Control and Limitation and Disarmament, European Union, Nord Stream AG, North Atlantic Treaty Organization, Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe, Ukraine, Russia >
- Business Insider 19:58January 12, 20225 weapons Russia would likely use to attack UkraineRussia's intentions remain unclear, but if it does take military action it has many potent weapons to use.
< Military & Defense Contributors, Military & Defense, 19fortyfive, News Contributor, Russia, Ukraine, t-90, iskander, iskander-M, Crimea >
- The Guardian 19:27January 12, 2022Nato chief warns of ‘real risk of conflict’ as talks with Russia over Ukraine endUS says it has heard nothing new from Moscow in four hours of talks aiming to defuse crisisNato discussions with Russia have concluded with no sign of progress towards narrowing substantial differences or defusing the crisis over Ukraine, and with the alliance’s secretary general warning “there is a real risk for a new armed conflict in Europe”.After four hours of talks, the US delegation leader, the deputy secretary of state, Wendy Sherman, said she had heard nothing in Brussels that differed from the Kremlin position laid out at bilateral talks in Geneva, demanding a guaranteed end to Nato expansion and a withdrawal of alliance troops in formerly Soviet bloc countries that joined the alliance after 1997. Continue reading...
< Ukraine, Nato, Russia, Europe, World news, US foreign policy, US news >
- FoxNews 19:00January 12, 2022NATO, Russia summit wraps up: 'Not an easy discussion,' says NATO chiefNATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg said that the talks with Russia Wednesday over military aggression along Ukraine’s border were "not an easy discussion."
< 0e5a78dc-5144-502f-8b3d-32d1b3250294, fox-news/world/world-regions/russia, fox-news/world/conflicts/ukraine, fox-news/us/military, fox-news/politics/defense, fox-news/world/world-regions/europe, fox-news/world, fox-news/world/conflicts, fox-news/politics/foreign-policy, fnc, fox-news/world, article, Fox News, Caitlin McFall >
- FoxNews 17:58January 12, 2022Judge sets trial date for Steele dossier sub-source DanchenkoU.S. District Court Judge Anthony Trenga has set a date for the trial of Igor Danchenko, sub-source for the infamous dossier on former President Trump compiled by ex-British spy Christopher Steele.
< dcea6e2c-20e5-552c-aeae-650f4a51b97f, fox-news/topic/durham-probe, fox-news/news-events/russia-investigation, fnc, fox-news/politics, article, Fox News, Jake Gibson, Ronn Blitzer >
- Business Insider 17:47January 12, 2022Why the US cares about what happens in Kazakhstan and about what Russia is up to thereViolent unrest in Kazakhstan has led to a severe crackdown and the arrival of Russian troops to quell protests.
< Military & Defense Contributors, Military & Defense, The Conversation, News Contributor, Kazakhstan, Central Asia, Russia, China >
- Breitbart News 16:00January 12, 2022Exclusive — Kevin McCarthy: Biden White House Likes High Gas Prices, ‘Whole Plan All About Green New Deal’House GOP Leader Kevin McCarthy told Breitbart News that Democrat President Joe Biden’s administration enjoys high gas prices because the Democrats are using that crisis to try to force Americans to accept their radical Green New Deal agenda.
< Environment, Politics, electric cars, environmentalism, Gas Prices, Green New Deal, Kevin McCarthy, Nordstream 2, On the Hill, Russia, Tesla, Vladimir Putin >
- New York Times 01:19January 12, 2022Putin’s Next Move on Ukraine Is a Mystery. Just the Way He Likes It.The contradictory, sometimes menacing messages from the Kremlin have stumped Western officials and Russia experts, showing the Russian leader’s desire to keep his rivals on edge.
< War and Armed Conflicts, United States International Relations, North Atlantic Treaty Organization, Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe, Putin, Vladimir V, Biden, Joseph R Jr, Ryabkov, Sergei A, Russia, Ukraine >
- New York Times 01:14January 12, 2022Putin’s Next Move on Ukraine Is a Mystery. Just the Way He Likes It.The contradictory, sometimes menacing messages from the Kremlin have stumped Western officials and Russia experts, showing the Russian leader’s desire to keep his rivals on edge.
< War and Armed Conflicts, United States International Relations, North Atlantic Treaty Organization, Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe, Putin, Vladimir V, Biden, Joseph R Jr, Ryabkov, Sergei A, Russia, Ukraine >
- Business Insider 00:34January 12, 2022Russia holds live-fire drills with tanks and troops near Ukraine's border while expressing pessimism about talks with US"It's too early to tell whether the Russians are serious about the path to diplomacy or not," the White House said on Tuesday.
< Politics, News, International, Military & Defense, Ukraine, Russia, NATO, Vladimir Putin >
- The Guardian(UK) 22:23January 11, 2022Ukraine talks: Russia sees no grounds for optimism ahead of Nato meetingMoscow’s chief negotiator played down chances of a breakthrough as Russian troops conduct live-fire exercise near UkraineThe Kremlin has said it sees “no significant reason for optimism” about diplomatic solutions for the Ukraine crisis, ahead of a meeting in Brussels between Russia and Nato’s 30 member states.As Moscow was playing down the chances for success at the negotiating table after initial US-Russian talks in Switzerland on Monday, Russian forces deployed near Ukraine conducted a live-fire military exercise involving 3,000 troops and tanks, in a clear rejection of US demands for a de-escalation in the region. Continue reading...
< Russia, Nato, Ukraine, World news, Europe, US national security, US news, US foreign policy >
- FoxNews 19:51January 11, 2022Biden admin backs Ukraine ahead of NATO, Russia summitThe Biden administration on Tuesday said it is "working in lockstep" with its allies as the NATO meeting with Russia looms amid heightened tensions with Ukraine.
< 73da3236-ff26-579d-a4f2-e0a1ae6d469a, fox-news/world/world-regions/russia, fox-news/politics/foreign-policy/state-department, fox-news/world/world-regions/europe, fox-news/topic/the-european-union, fox-news/world/conflicts/ukraine, fnc, fox-news/world, article, Fox News, Caitlin McFall >
- New York Times 19:22January 11, 2022A Russian Pledge of No Invasion? Ukrainians Are Skeptical.When Russians say no, they often mean yes, a former Ukrainian member of Parliament said, as suspicion ran deep about Moscow’s intentions.
< Defense and Military Forces, Politics and Government, War and Armed Conflicts, United States International Relations, North Atlantic Treaty Organization, Ryabkov, Sergei A, Zelensky, Volodymyr, Eastern Europe, Geneva (Switzerland), Kyiv (Ukraine), Russia >
- The Guardian 14:00January 11, 2022Kazakhstan: Russian-led military bloc to start withdrawing troops, says presidentWithdrawal to start in two days, says Kassym-Jomart Tokayev, as new PM appointed and detentions rise to nearly 10,000Kazakhstan’s president, Kassym-Jomart Tokayev, has said troops from a Russian-led military bloc will begin their withdrawal from the country within two days.Tokayev asked for assistance from the Collective Security Treaty Organisation (CSTO) last week to help him regain control, after unrest that left at least 164 people dead. Continue reading...
< Kazakhstan, Russia, South and Central Asia, World news >
- Business Insider 13:56January 11, 2022Kazakhstan president says Russian troops will start to leave in 48 hours, citing calm after 164 people killed and 8,000 detainedAround 2,000 troops with the Russia-led Collective Security Treaty Organisation arrived in Kazakhstan on January 6 to help quell violet protests.
< Politics, News UK, Russia, Kazakhstan, Vladimr Putin >
- New York Times 03:28January 11, 2022In Talks on Ukraine, U.S. and Russia Deadlock Over NATO ExpansionBoth sides expressed some optimism after negotiations in Geneva, but did not break an impasse over Russia’s demand that Ukraine never become a member of NATO.
< United States International Relations, Ukraine, Defense and Military Forces, Russia, War and Armed Conflicts, North Atlantic Treaty Organization, Biden, Joseph R Jr, Putin, Vladimir V, Ryabkov, Sergei A, Sherman, Wendy R, Eastern Europe >
- New York Times 02:00January 11, 2022U.S.-Russia Talks Have Echoes of the Cold WarThe Cold War echoes of the negotiations unfolding this week in a series of meetings between Russia and the West are a reminder that there is nothing permanent about Europe’s security arrangements.
< Politics and Government, Defense and Military Forces, Cold War Era, United States International Relations, North Atlantic Treaty Organization, Biden, Joseph R Jr, Putin, Vladimir V, Ryabkov, Sergei A, Sherman, Wendy R, United States, Russia, Ukraine, Europe >
- Business Insider 23:13January 10, 2022Russia continues to make demands the US will never agree to over UkraineRussia has repeatedly insisted that Ukraine and Georgia never be permitted to join NATO, which the US has made clear is a nonstarter.
< Politics, International, News, Military & Defense, Vladimir Putin, Russia, Ukraine, Georgia, analysis >
- Business Insider 21:23January 10, 2022Russia says it doesn't plan to invade Ukraine. US tells Russia to prove it by sending troops back to their barracks."Return the troops to barracks or tell us what exercises are ongoing and what their purpose is," a US diplomat said.
< Military & Defense, Politics, International, Russia, Ukraine >
- The Guardian 21:06January 10, 2022US-Russia talks over Ukraine ‘useful’ but no progress madeDiplomats stress they have not made progress towards resolving fundamental disagreementsUS and Russian diplomats have emerged from a day of negotiations in Geneva over the fate of Ukraine, describing the talks as “useful” and “very professional” – but also stressing they had not made progress towards resolving fundamental disagreements.The two sides largely spend the day’s talks presenting their points of view on the situation in Ukraine, currently hemmed in by some 100,000 Russian troops, and on European security in general, and deferred further debate on them to a meeting in Brussels on Wednesday between Russia and all Nato members. Continue reading...
< US foreign policy, Russia, Ukraine, Europe, US news, World news, Biden administration, Vladimir Putin >