- Time 02:00June 24, 2021South Korean President Moon Jae-in Makes One Last Attempt to Heal His HomelandMoon Jae-in can still hear the roar today. South Korea’s President had been seated next to Kim Jong Un in Pyongyang’s May Day Stadium on Sept. 19, 2018, for the close of the Mass Games when North Korea’s leader beckoned him up to the dais. Beneath a vast collage calling for Korea to “unite the…
< Uncategorized, COVID-19, South Korea >
- New York Times 12:00June 19, 2021Inside the ‘Deadly Serious’ World of E-Sports in South KoreaEach year, thousands of young South Koreans compete to join pro e-sports teams, but only a few make the cut. An American company in Seoul wants to help more young gamers find jobs.
< E-Sports, Interscholastic Athletics, Computer and Video Games, Education (K-12), Content Type: Personal Profile, Colleges and Universities, Asian Games, South Korea, Seoul (South Korea) >
- The Guardian 08:03June 16, 2021Online sex crimes crisis in South Korea affecting all women, report findsHuman Rights Watch found sex crime prosecutions involving illegal filming rose 11-fold between 2008 and 2017South Korea’s epidemic of online sexual abuse has left survivors traumatised for life, and is adversely affecting all women and girls in the country, according to a new report.Molka – the use of hidden cameras to film or share explicit images of women without their consent – is forcing victims to contemplate suicide or to consider quitting their jobs or leaving the country, Human Rights Watch (HRW) said in the report, My Life is Not Your Porn: Digital Sex Crimes in South Korea. Continue reading...
< South Korea, Asia Pacific, World news, Pornography >
- The Guardian 12:03June 15, 2021South Korea says consensual sex act between male soldiers ‘bordered on rape’Activists decry discrimination as court finds men guilty of indecency and hands down a six-month suspended sentenceA South Korean military court has been accused of discriminating against sexual minorities after it found two male soldiers guilty of indecency for engaging in consensual oral sex.The ruling, which took place in March but emerged last week, found the soldiers’ actions “bordered on rape” and handed them a six-month suspended prison sentence by applying the controversial article 92-6 of the Military Criminal Act. This punishes “anal sex and other indecent acts” between military personnel with up to two years in prison. Continue reading...
< South Korea, Asia Pacific, LGBT rights, Global development, World news >
- New York Times 12:00June 15, 2021Why Asia, the Pandemic Champion, Remains Miles Away From the Finish LineWhile the United States edges toward normalcy, countries like Japan, South Korea and Australia are still facing months of uncertainty and isolation as their vaccination campaigns just start to gain steam.
< Coronavirus (2019-nCoV), Vaccination and Immunization, Australia, China, Japan, Taiwan, Thailand, South Korea, Disease Rates, Quarantines, Shortages >
- New York Times 12:00June 15, 2021Asia Struggles to Cast Off the Pandemic Despite its Early LeadWhile the United States edges toward normalcy, countries like Japan, South Korea and Australia are still facing months of uncertainty and isolation as their vaccination campaigns just start to gain steam.
< Coronavirus (2019-nCoV), Vaccination and Immunization, Australia, China, Japan, Taiwan, Thailand, South Korea, Disease Rates, Quarantines, Shortages >
- New York Times 05:24June 11, 2021Kim Jong-un Calls K-Pop a ‘Vicious Cancer’South Korean music, movies and dramas are winning the hearts of young North Koreans. Their influence is seen as a threat to Mr. Kim’s grip on society.
< Kim Jong-un, K-Pop, North Korea, Propaganda, South Korea, Smuggling, Computers and the Internet, Millennial Generation >
- Business Insider 12:00June 2, 2021Elon Musk's 'Baby Shark' tweet sends shares in the iconic song's investor up 10%Wednesday's gain for Samsung Publishing marks another example of Musk's mega-influence on market movements via Twitter.
< Markets, Tech Insider, MI Exclusive, Markets, Elon Musk, Song, Samsung, South Korea, Stocks, elon musk tweets >
- New York Times 14:10June 1, 2021Belgian Ambassador Whose Wife Slapped a Shop Clerk Is RecalledThe Belgian embassy in South Korea said it would recall its ambassador because he could no longer work in a “serene way” after his wife slapped a shop assistant in Seoul.
< Seoul (South Korea), Fashion and Apparel, South Korea, Belgium >
- New York Times 08:41May 31, 2021North Korea Releases Its First Response to Moon-Biden SummitIn its first reaction to President Biden’s summit with President Moon Jae-in of South Korea, North Korean state media warned of an arms race.
< North Korea, South Korea, Kim Jong-un, Moon Jae-in, Biden, Joseph R Jr, Defense and Military Forces, Politics and Government, United States Defense and Military Forces, Korean War, Missiles and Missile Defense Systems, Nuclear Tests, Arms Control and Limitation and Disarmament, Nuclear Weapons >
- Business Insider 20:34May 28, 2021South Korea will hit cryptocurrency transactions with a 20% tax starting next yearCapital gains on crypto transactions must be reported on general income taxes in May 2023, according to Yonhap News Agency.
< Markets, MI Exclusive, Bitcoin, cryptocurrency, South Korea, South Korea crypto tax, Markets >
- Business Insider 19:46May 27, 2021Biden has a unique opportunity to deal with North Korea, and he's blowing itIf Biden wants to ward off another nuclear crisis, he will have to accept the political risk of deep compromises with an enemy.
< Military & Defense Contributors, Military & Defense, Politics Contributors, Politics, World Politics Review, News Contributor, North Korea, Kim Jong Un, South Korea, denuclearization, analysis >
- Business Insider 16:00May 23, 2021Why nine times roasted bamboo salt costs so much more than sea saltJugyeom or nine times roasted bamboo salt, sometimes called purple bamboo salt, can cost almost $100 for an 8.5-ounce jar.
< Retail, Video, Video, video format so expensive, bamboo salt, Korea, South Korea, Salt, Himalayan sea salt >
- The Guardian 03:48May 22, 2021Biden sends special envoy to South Korea to press North on nuclear armsUS president and South Korean counterpart Moon Jae-in remain ‘deeply concerrned’ over relations with Pyongyang US president Joe Biden said he and his South Korean counterpart Moon Jae-in remain “deeply concerned” about the situation with North Korea, and announced he will deploy a new special envoy to the region.After talks in Washington on Friday, Biden told a joint news conference with Moon that he was dispatching former US ambassador to Seoul, Sung Kim, to help refocus efforts on pressing Pyongyang to abandon its nuclear weapons program. Continue reading...
< US news, Biden administration, South Korea, North Korea >
- Business Insider 19:16May 20, 2021Why South Korea built a rifle that's half AK-47 and half M16To have enough rifles to arm its reserves in case of another war, South Korea had to design its own weapon.
< Military & Defense Contributors, Military & Defense, 19fortyfive, News Contributor, South Korea, AK-47, M16, Daewoo K2 >
- Business Insider 19:31May 8, 2021South Korea is betting it can stay out of the US and China's intensifying rivalrySouth Korean President Moon Jae-in and fellow progressives are not alone in seeking a middle ground between the US and China.
< Military & Defense Contributors, Military & Defense, World Politics Review, News Contributor, South Korea, Moon Jae-in, China, North Korea >
- Business Insider 17:55May 5, 2021One dose of Pfizer or AstraZeneca vaccine was highly effective at preventing coronavirus in older people, real-world data from South Korea suggestsIt is not clear from South Korea's data how long protection against COVID-19 from a single shot lasts or the severity of illness it stopped.
< Healthcare, Science, South Korea, coronavirus, Health, Vaccine, Pfizer, biontech, AstraZeneca, Oxford University >
- New York Times 07:00May 5, 2021They Were Promised a Socialist Paradise, and Ended Up in ‘Hell’Lee Tae-kyung has campaigned tirelessly in South Korea to share the story of the 93,000 people who migrated from Japan to North Korea from 1959 to 1984 and were forced to stay.
< North Korea, Japan, Immigration and Emigration, Korean War, South Korea, Content Type: Personal Profile, Human Rights and Human Rights Violations, Families and Family Life, Politics and Government >
- Business Insider 15:54May 3, 2021Fears of a Chinese attack on Taiwan are growing, and Taiwan isn't sure who would help if it happened"This problem is much closer to us than most think," the new head of US Indo-Pacific Command said in March.
< Military & Defense, International, Taiwan, China, Taiwan Strait, South Korea, Japan, The Philippines, Australia, InsiderAsia, News Contributor, Mildef freelance >
- New York Times 08:34May 2, 2021North Korea Warns Biden Against ‘Hostile Policy’An official said President Biden had made “a big blunder” by characterizing the North’s nuclear arsenal as a threat to the United States.
< North Korea, Biden, Joseph R Jr, United States International Relations, Nuclear Weapons, South Korea, Kim Yo-jong, Kim Jong-un >
- New York Times 21:23April 28, 2021An Inheritance Tax Bill You ‘Can’t Fathom’: $10.8 BillionThe Samsung family in South Korea will also donate billions of dollars’ worth of art, including Picasso and Monet.
< Samsung Group, Inheritance and Estate Taxes, South Korea, Lee Jae-yong (1968- ), Lee Kun-hee, Wills and Estates, Family Business, Art, Corporations, Tax Evasion, Samsung Electronics Co, Samsung C&T Corp >
- Business Insider 15:57April 27, 2021Goodbye bitcoin 'kimchi premium'? Regulator says all 200 of South Korea's crypto exchanges could be shut down, report saysUnder new regulations, all 200 of South Korea's crypto exchanges could be shut down according to regulators.
< Markets, MI Exclusive, Markets, Bitcoin, Cryptocurrencies, cryptocurrency, crypto, Regulation, South Korea >
- New York Times 14:14April 26, 2021South Korea Celebrates Oscar Win for Youn Yuh-jung of 'Minari'Ms. Youn is the first Asian woman to win the best supporting actress Oscar since 1957. But it’s her life story — as well her characters — that made her award resonate among Koreans.
< South Korea, Korean-Americans, Actors and Actresses, Academy Awards (Oscars), Women and Girls, Immigration and Emigration, Minari (Movie), Youn Yuh-jung >
- Business Insider 22:49April 21, 2021South Korea's president said Trump 'beat around the bush' on North Korea's nukes and his efforts 'failed'Trump met with Kim Jong Un on denuclearization several times, but North Korea retains its nuclear arsenal and the talks were unsuccessful overall.
< Politics, Military & Defense, News, Donald Trump, Kim Jong Un, North Korea, Joe Biden, Moon Jae-in, South Korea >
- New York Times 13:50April 21, 2021South Korean Court Sides With Japan in Wartime Sexual Slavery CaseThe decision contradicted an earlier court ruling in South Korea that said the Japanese government must compensate so-called comfort women.
< South Korea, Japan, Prostitution, Human Rights and Human Rights Violations, Decisions and Verdicts, Women and Girls, Reparations, World War II (1939-45), Slavery (Historical) >
- New York Times 09:23April 21, 2021South Korean Leader Urges Biden to Negotiate With North KoreaIn an interview with The New York Times, President Moon Jae-in of South Korea urged the United States to sit down with North Korea.
< United States International Relations, Peace Process, Arms Control and Limitation and Disarmament, South Korea, Kim Jong-un, Moon Jae-in, Biden, Joseph R Jr, Trump, Donald J, Nuclear Weapons >
- Breaking Defense 21:20April 19, 2021OMFV: Korea’s Hanwha Is Officially InThe Korean company is partnering with US-based Oshkosh. That means at least five teams are now competing to replace the M2 Bradley, a far stronger response than the Army’s first attempt in 2019.
< Allies, Land Warfare, acquisition, armored vehicles, army, australia, Hanwha, JLTV, Joint Light Tactical Vehicle, Next Generation Combat Vehicle, NGCV, OMFV, Optionally Manned Fighting Vehicle, Oshkosh, south korea, tracked vehicles, wheeled vehicles >
- New York Times 10:00April 19, 2021A Quiet Arms Race Is Rapidly Heating Up Between the Two KoreasThe buildup over the last few years has threatened the delicate balance of peace on the Korean Peninsula.
< North Korea, Nuclear Tests, Missiles and Missile Defense Systems, South Korea, Kim Jong-un, Moon Jae-in, Defense and Military Forces, Arms Control and Limitation and Disarmament, Nuclear Weapons >
- New York Times 15:38April 18, 2021Despite Tensions, U.S. and China Agree to Work Together on Climate ChangeThe two countries said they would treat global warming “with the seriousness and urgency that it demands.”
< Kerry, John, Global Warming, Greenhouse Gas Emissions, China, South Korea, United States International Relations, United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change >
- New York Times 12:00April 17, 2021These Countries Did Well With Covid. So Why Are They Slow on Vaccines?Japan, South Korea and Australia have inoculated tiny percentages of their populations. The delays risk unwinding their relative successes.
< Vaccination and Immunization, Olympic Games (2020), Coronavirus (2019-nCoV), Japan, South Korea, New Zealand >
- Business Insider 16:19April 14, 2021Russia joins China and South Korea in expressing 'serious concern' at Japan's plan to release waste water from the Fukushima nuclear disasterRussia wants more information from Japan, spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said on Tuesday, including an assessment of environmental risks in the Pacific.
< Science, News UK, Fukushima Nuclear Disaster, Japan, China, South Korea, Russia >
- Business Insider 01:56April 14, 2021A top Facebook exec told a whistleblower her concerns about widespread state-sponsored disinformation meant she had 'job security'Facebook integrity chief Guy Rosen said concerns about dictators using fake accounts to bolster support were lower priority, The Guardian reported.
< Tech Insider, Politics, News, Facebook, Guy Rosen, Misinformation, Disinformation, Disinformation campaign, Authoritarianism, International Politics, Honduras, India, Azerbaijan, El Salvador, Afghanistan, Philippines, Paraguay, Mexico, Poland, Taiwan, Indonesia, Ukraine, South Korea, Italy, Russia, 2020 Elections >
- Breaking Defense 13:01April 12, 2021DoD’s Newest Pushback Against Chinese Money In US Defense Industry“The proactive, nefarious work coming from China and Russia in particular [will make US policymakers] “realize that we don’t have control over everything that we think we have control over,” Tara Murphy Dougherty, CEO of Govini said
< Congress, Networks / Cyber, Pentagon, Threats, 2022 budget, Biden administration, China, Defense Critical Supply Chain Task Force, Ellen Lord, Govini, great power competition, House Armed Services Commitee, Katie Arrington, Rep. Elissa Slotkin, Rep. Mike Gallagher, semiconductors, south korea, taiwan, Trusted Capital >
- New York Times 11:32April 9, 2021Iran Releases South Korean Oil TankerThe vessel was seized in January. Iran said the ship had been polluting its waters, but the move was seen as an effort to force South Korea to unlock billions in funds caught up in U.S. sanctions.
< Embargoes and Sanctions, Ships and Shipping, Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps, Iran, South Korea >
- The Guardian 07:19April 9, 2021Coronavirus live news: South Korea to close bars and clubs amid fourth wave fearsTokyo looks to implement emergency measures as cases grow just months before start of Olympics; Australian doctors condemn vaccine ‘farce’ after AstraZeneca reversalCovid plan for England: trips abroad could be permitted from MaySpain, Belgium and Italy restrict AstraZeneca vaccine to older peopleWhat you need to know about the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine 5.19am BST Hello and welcome to today’s coronavirus coverage. I’m Kate Lyons and I’ll be kicking things off.Today we start with some concerning news from Asia, where various countries are looking at fears of a fourth wave of the virus. Continue reading...
< Coronavirus, World news, South Korea, Japan, Asia Pacific, Infectious diseases, Science >
- New York Times 12:38April 8, 2021South Korean Man Gets 34 Years for Running Sexual Exploitation Chat RoomMoon Hyeong-wook, 25, was accused of luring young women with promises of high-paying jobs and then forcing them into pornography.
< South Korea, Cho Joo-bin, Telegram LLC, Women's Rights, Computers and the Internet, Pornography, Sex Crimes >
- Business Insider 11:19April 8, 2021Home prices in Seoul rose by 22% last year, the biggest increase in any major city in AsiaAs the South Korean city tries to position itself as an alternative to Asia's financial hubs, locals find themselves priced out of the market.
< Real Estate, International, insider asia, Seoul, South Korea, Real Estate, Housing Prices, Housing >
- New York Times 03:55April 6, 2021North Korea Bows Out of Tokyo Olympics, Citing Covid-19North Korea, which has a decrepit public health system, has taken stringent measures against the virus since early last year, including shutting its borders.
< internal-essential, Olympic Games (2018), Coronavirus (2019-nCoV), Kim Jong-un, North Korea, South Korea >
- The Guardian 02:52April 6, 2021'Sexual minorities are often invisible': meet Seoul's only LGBT mayoral candidateOh Tae-yang was spurred to run for mayor by the deaths of high-profile LGBT figures, and has upset some in conservative South KoreaOne morning in late March, Oh Tae-yang awoke to news that his campaign banners, which feature rainbow flags and pledges to work toward same-sex marriage, had been vandalised, torn down and strewn across the ground.After he got over the initial surprise, he noticed a particular detail in the destruction. “The banners had been ripped horizontally just below my neck, as if the person who did it was thinking of cutting my head off,” Oh said. Continue reading...
< South Korea, LGBT rights, Asia Pacific >
- Guardian 13:56April 5, 2021LG to pull out of mobile phone marketSouth Korea firm promises service and software support as it shifts focus to more profitable businessesSouth Korean electronics manufacturer LG has decided to wind down its mobile phones unit after admitting defeat in the global smartphone market.LG said on Monday it had made a “strategic decision to exit the incredibly competitive mobile phone sector” to focus on growing businesses such as supplying electric car parts. Continue reading...
< LG, Telecommunications industry, Mobile phones, Business, Technology, South Korea, Samsung, Apple, World news >
- Guardian 09:00April 1, 2021Minari review – a Korean family sows seeds of hope in ArkansasInfused with a wonderful sentimentality, Lee Isaac Chung’s fictionalised account of his rural US childhood explores the growing pains of a family farmMinari is an east Asian herb, sometimes called water dropwort or water celery, grown in the wild and treasured by connoisseurs, a little like samphire grass in England. Its appearance in this movie is a sign of something mysterious and providential, an indication of good things coming from the soil.This is a wonderfully absorbing and moving family drama with a buttery, sunlit streak of sentimentality. Writer-director Lee Isaac Chung based it on his childhood growing up on a farm in Arkansas in the 1980s. Minari already has the look of a well-loved classic, whose every scene feels familiar and loved, and it has an amazing way of recreating childhood. Watching it, I remembered for the first time in decades what it was like as a kid to sit in the back of a hot, stationary car in those days before air-conditioning, waiting for your mum and dad with the sun beating down, maybe a wisp of wind through the open window, and the hot plastic seats sticking to your bare legs.Steven Yeun gives a piercingly intelligent performance as Jacob, a Korean incomer to the United States in the Reagan era; he and his wife, Monica (Han Ye-ri), and their two kids, elder daughter Anne (Noel Cho) and little son David (Alan S Kim), have arrived in Arkansas from California, where Jacob had been making a joyless but reliable factory wage in chicken hatcheries. Jacob has a big dream: he will farm the land here, and get rich growing real Korean vegetables for the many Korean immigrants in the US yearning for a taste of home. But Monica is already disappointed with this new, hard life he has given them. Han plays her brilliantly, as proud and self-contained as an exiled princess. Continue reading...
< Film, Drama films, Arkansas, South Korea, Period and historical films, Culture, US immigration >
- Defence Blog 10:29March 31, 2021Hanwha preparing its new ground robot for big military testSouth Korea’s Hanwha Corporation announced that it has upgraded its AI-based ‘multi-purpose unmanned ground vehicle’ and preparing for the big military test with the Republic of Korea Army. As noted by the company, the Multi-Purpose Unmanned Ground Vehicle’ is a futuristic defense robot system capable of carrying out various missions such as transporting ammunition, reconnaissance, and […]
The post Hanwha preparing its new ground robot for big military test first appeared on Defence Blog.
< Army, News, drone, Hanwha, Republic of Korea (South Korea) >
- Business Insider 17:22March 27, 2021Biden can't afford to laugh-off Kim Jong Un's provocationsBiden may miss a chance to pursue diplomacy, leading to more back and forth tension-creating events by both sides in the months ahead.
< Military & Defense Contributors, Military & Defense, Politics Contributors, Politics, Responsible Statecraft, News Contributor, North Korea, Kim Jong Un, North Korea denuclearization, South Korea, Opinion >
- Breaking Defense 22:51March 26, 2021‘$64K Question’: Where In Pacific Do Army Missiles Go?“Today, there is probably not one of our regional partners in the first island chain that would be willing to base Army — or any other service – long-range strike missiles in their country,” retired Lt. Gen. Thomas Spoehr says.
< Air Warfare, Allies, Land Warfare, army, Army strategic fires, asia, China, Dean Cheng, Gen. Thomas Spoehr, hypersonics, Japan, Long-Range Precision Fires, LRPF, Missiles, Pacific, philippines, south korea, Thomas Karako >
- The Guardian 02:24March 25, 2021North Korea may have test fired ballistic missile, says JapanLaunch could be the regime’s first ballistic missile test of the Biden administrationSouth Korea’s military says North Korea has fired at least one unidentified projectile into its eastern waters, in what could be its first ballistic missile test during the Biden administration.South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff on Thursday didn’t immediately provide further details about the launch. Continue reading...
< North Korea, Japan, South Korea, Asia Pacific, Nuclear weapons >
- New York Times 12:37March 23, 2021Young South Koreans Erupt in Anger Over Housing ScandalPresident Moon has spent years trying to curb runaway housing prices. Now several officials in his government are under investigation for contributing to the problem ahead of important elections.
< South Korea, Real Estate and Housing (Residential), Corruption (Institutional), Moon Jae-in, Politics and Government, Elections, Mayors, Government Employees >
- Defence Blog 18:29March 20, 2021South Korea looks to buy AGM-114R multi-purpose Hellfire II missilesThe Republic of Korea (South Korea) has cleared to buy a batch of U.S.-made AGM-114R multi-purpose Hellfire II missiles. The U.S. military’s Defense Security Cooperation Agency issued a press release on March 19, 2021, that announced that the State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to the Republic of Korea […]
The post South Korea looks to buy AGM-114R multi-purpose Hellfire II missiles first appeared on Defence Blog.
< Army, Missiles & Bombs, News, AGM-114, DSCA, Hellfire, missile, South Korea, USA >
- Business Insider 19:18March 18, 2021Biden wants the military's footprint to be 'correctly sized,' and it may mean deciding which bases really matterThe Biden administration has started a review of the US military's global posture as calls grow for a change to the US's role in the world.
< Military & Defense, Politics, International, Nordic, US military base, Military base, Guam, South Korea, Diego Garcia, Bahrain, Persian Gulf, InsiderAsia >
- New York Times 09:56March 18, 2021North Korean Threat Forces Biden Into Balancing Act With ChinaWashington’s recent attempts to communicate with Pyongyang were rebuffed, leaving American officials to appeal to countries in the region to help pressure North Korea.
< North Korea, South Korea, United States Indo-Pacific Command, United States International Relations, Defense and Military Forces, Arms Control and Limitation and Disarmament, Embargoes and Sanctions, Nuclear Weapons, Blinken, Antony J, Kim Jong-un, Moon Jae-in, China >
- Defence Blog 12:11March 16, 2021Hanwha-led team reveals new details about its Redback fighting vehicleSouth Korea’s Hanwha Defense just released more details about the Redback infantry fighting vehicle program. The details were given in a 16 March media release, to announce the achievement of two key milestones in the validation of systems integration for its Redback Infantry Fighting Vehicle. Team Redback, led by Hanwha Defense Australia, has been formed […]
The post Hanwha-led team reveals new details about its Redback fighting vehicle first appeared on Defence Blog.
< Army, News, PRESS RELEASES, Hanwha, IFV, Redback, South Korea >