- Business Insider 00:23July 24, 2021AOC tells Biden not to be 'reckless' and urges him not to allow the eviction ban to lapse in July, putting 6 million Americans at risk"We must protect the vulnerable and do everything in our power to prevent a mass eviction crisis," Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez said.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, AOC, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Moratoriums, CDC, evictions, eviction moratorium, Democrats, Biden stimulus, rent relief, Policy, Economy >
- Business Insider 20:41July 23, 20216 million renters face eviction in 8 days when a Trump-era ban expires. Biden is poised to let it happen.A ban on foreclosures is ending at the same time as that on evictions, but the White House rolled out new refinancing measures and other initiatives.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Joe Biden, evictions, forbearance, Stimulus, rent relief, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, Mortgages, Policy, Economy, Foreclosure >
- Business Insider 19:52July 23, 2021The Delta variant could make the American shopper go back into lockdown, BofA saysThe Delta variant is causing COVID-19 cases to surge, and BofA Research argues that it could cause employment to drop and consumers to spend less.
< Economy, Markets, delta variant, COVID, Consumers, Bank of America, Consumer spending, Trump, Biden, Stimulus, Economy, BofA research >
- New York Magazine 18:46July 23, 2021A Brief Guide to Congress’s Packed Summer ScheduleWith conflicting reports on late-night talks and meaningless failed votes, it’s hard to track what Congress is doing. Here’s their pre-recess plan.
< politics, budget, bipartisan infrastructure deal, congress, biden agenda, american family plan, american jobs plan, debt limit, appropriations, joe manchin, joe biden, donald trump, covid-19 stimulus, fy 2022 budget reconciliation bill, fy 2022 budget resolution, chuck schumer, nancy pelosi, mitch mcconnell >
- Business Insider 01:09July 23, 2021The IRS just disbursed 2.2 million more $1400 stimulus payments, but it mostly went to recent tax filersThe disbursement is part of the third wave of one-time checks that the federal government has authorized since the onset of the coronavirus pandemic.
< Economy, News, Economy, Stimulus, IRS, American Rescue Plan, Coroanavirus >
- Business Insider 23:26July 22, 2021Sherrod Brown called Janet Yellen, anxious that poor families may be shut out of 'Social Security for kids.' He's not the only worried Democrat.Senate Democrats are pressing the IRS to overhaul its website for the poorest families so they can get monthly child tax credit payments.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Sherrod Brown, Joe Biden, Janet Yellen, Biden stimulus, Congress, IRS, Child tax credit, Ron Wyden, fourth stimulus check, monthly checks, Policy, Economy >
- Business Insider 21:47July 22, 2021Almost half of Americans used the $1,400 stimulus checks to pay off debtFormer Fed economist Claudia Sahm recently published a paper looking at how the third round of stimulus checks helped Americans and economic recovery.
< Economy, Markets, Economy, Stimulus checks, Research, Economic Recovery, coronavirus recovery, Claudia Sahm >
- Business Insider 18:47July 21, 2021Most Americans don't want the government to send checks to families forever, survey findsA Morning Consult/Politico survey found that while 54% of voters support $300-per-child monthly payments, 52% don't think they should be permanent.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Policy, Economy, Politics, Child tax credit, Biden, Stimulus, American Rescue Plan, Michael Bennet, angus king, morning consult, Politico, Survey >
- Business Insider 17:21July 21, 2021Mitch McConnell says GOP won't strike a deal with Democrats for the US to pay its bills on time, raising risk of derailing the economic recoveryRepublicans voted to raise the debt ceiling under President Trump. They're taking a harder line as Democrats prepare massive spending plans.
< Economy, Politics, Mitch McConnell, Janet Yellen, Joe Biden, Congress, Republicans, Democrats, National Debt, Debt Ceiling, Donald Trump, infrastructure bill, Stimulus, Federal Debt, Policy >
- Business Insider 21:34July 19, 2021$10 million in student debt is wiped out for 2,500 South Carolina students using stimulus fundsSouth Carolina State University becomes the latest Historically Black College or University (HBCU) to remove student debt as a barrier to education.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Economy, Politics, Policy, Student Debt, Student debt forgiveness, Student Loans, Stimulus, South Carolina, Biden, Trump, Elizabeth Warren, HBCU >
- Business Insider 18:33July 19, 2021Veteran investor David Tice sounds the alarm on 'big tech' stocks and bitcoin - and touts gold and silver miners as better bets"We're not out of the woods yet and this is a dangerous market," the Moran Tice Capital Management cofounder said.
< Markets, MI Exclusive, Markets, David Tice, Morand-Tice Capital Management, Stocks, Stock market bubble, Bitcoin, Gold, Inflation, FAANG, Stimulus, Monetary Policy >
- Business Insider 13:06July 19, 2021Global stocks tumble as delta variant cases soar; oil falls after OPEC+ reaches a deal on supplyRising COVID-19 cases linked to the delta variant caused investor concern about a delay in economic recovery and its impact on growth and earnings.
< Markets, MI Exclusive, Stock Market Today, Stock Market, US futures, equity markets, Oil, Oil price, covid and economy, COVID and stock market, covid economy, covid stimulus, ECB, European Central Bank, Markets, ukmarketwrap >
- Business Insider 17:53July 16, 2021California lawmakers just approved the nation's first guaranteed income programPregnant people and those in the foster system will be prioritized for up to $1,000 monthly checks. This marks a step toward a universal basic income.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Economy, Politics, Policy, Universal Basic Income, UBI, California, Gavin Newsom, Guaranteed Income, Stimulus >
- Business Insider 00:19July 16, 2021How some families can get stimulus checks worth up to $3,200 in backpay through Biden's child tax credit rolloutEligible, non-tax filing families who missed out on 3 direct payments over the past year can receive it if they sign up for the Biden child benefit.
< Politics, News, Child tax credit 2021, President Joe Biden, White House, Stimulus, Economy, Democrats, Republicans >
- Business Insider 17:51July 15, 2021The government is sending up to $300 monthly checks to families with kids starting today. Democrats want to make it permanent as a new form of Social Security.The Biden stimulus benefit is the US's inaugural version of guaranteed income geared to children. Millions could get direct payments every month.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Joe Biden, Chuck Schumer, Child tax credit, Child tax credit 2021, Donald Trump, Coronavirus relief, stimulus check, Direct payment, fourth stimulus check, Stimulus, senate republicans, Joe Manchin, Marco Rubio, analysis, Policy, Economy >
- Business Insider 18:51July 13, 2021Why you're paying more for beef, pork, and eggs right now and when prices are expected to go back downPrice inflation is still expected to be temporary, but in the meantime some items on your grocery list are seeing some spikes.
< Economy, Retail, Policy, Food Prices, Food Inflation, Costs, Federal Reserve, Joe Biden, Stimulus, COVID relief, 2021 inflation, BI Graphics >
- Business Insider 03:29July 13, 2021Bernie Sanders says he wants over $3.5 trillion for a Democrat-only infrastructure package. Senate Democrats aren't ready to commit."I'm going to fight to make that proposal as robust as it can be," he said outside the White House after meeting with Biden.
< Economy, Politics, Joe Biden, Bernie Sanders, White House, Congress, Republicans, Democrats, angus king, Joe Manchin, Jon Tester, Biden infrastructure plan, Infrastructure, Stimulus, original reporting >
- Business Insider 19:48July 12, 2021Parents could get a $300 check this week from the government thanks to the revamped child tax creditFamilies will receive up to $300 per child in monthly payments from July to December through direct deposit, a paper check, or a debit card.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Policy, Economy, Republicans, Democrats, Joe Biden, IRS, Direct deposit, Direct payments, fourth stimulus check, Stimulus, Child tax credit, CTC, Treasury, monthly checks >
- Business Insider 01:52July 10, 2021Biden fired the Trump-appointed Social Security head amid complaints of stimulus check delays and union-busting tacticsAndrew Saul told the Post that he doesn't plan on stepping down and intends to show up to work on Monday.
< Economy, Politics, Policy, Congress, Republicans, Democrats, Andrew saul, Social Security Administration, stimulus check, stimulus check delays, Direct payments, Unions, Joe Biden >
- Business Insider 20:25July 7, 2021Americans are using a record-low portion of their disposable income to pay down debtThe level of household income being used to service debt just hit a record low, the Federal Reserve reports. That's the lowest since at least 1980.
< Economy, Markets, Federal Reserve, Coronavirus relief, Congress, Stimulus checks, Direct payments, Federal unemployment benefits, Debt, Mortgage, Economy, Household Debt, Federal Reserve Bank >
- Business Insider 00:31July 7, 2021Nancy Pelosi rips McConnell for touting stimulus aid for Kentucky: 'Vote no and take the dough'On the subject of state aid in the massive rescue package, McConnell said, "I didn't vote for it, but you're going to get a lot more money."
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Policy, Nancy Pelosi, Mitch McConnell, Republicans, Democrats, Stimulus checks, Direct payments, State Aid, Kentucky, Unemployment benefits, Economy >
- Business Insider 23:46July 6, 2021Laid-off workers are scoring early wins in lawsuits against GOP governors attempting to cut off federal jobless aidJobless workers in Indiana and Maryland temporarily won back federal unemployment - but it could still be overturned. Now they're trying in Ohio.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Policy, Unemployment benefits, Federal jobless aid, Jobless benefits, Stimulus, Coronavirus relief, pua, PEUC, pandemic unemployment assistance, federal unemployment, Economy, Indiana, Maryland, Ohio >
- Business Insider 21:26July 6, 2021Why a fourth stimulus check isn't likely anytime soonA monthly child allowance is going out in mid-July for most American families, providing a boost of stimulus cash until December.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, fourth stimulus check, Congress, Democrats, Joe Biden, Donald Trump, Republicans, analysis, Policy, Economy, Child tax credit, Child tax credits >
- Business Insider 18:36July 6, 2021Biden's stimulus set aside $50 billion to help renters facing eviction, but just 4% of that has gone outTreasury calls for "all hands on deck" to help get money to renters who could be evicted this month. Just 350,000 households got help by May.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Policy, Economy, Politics, Eviction, Treasury, Biden, Rent, Stimulus, stimulus plan, Housing, CDC, evictions, eviction moratorium >
- Business Insider 17:01July 6, 2021'Rich Dad Poor Dad' author Robert Kiyosaki warned a historic market crash is coming, trumpeted bitcoin, and channeled Warren Buffett in a recent interview. Here are the 10 best quotesKiyosaki blasted the federal government for borrowing too much and devaluing the dollar, and encouraged young people to become entrepreneurs.
< Markets, MI Exclusive, Rich Dad Poor Dad, Robert Kiyosaki, Stocks, Inflation, Bitcoin, Cryptocurrencies, Warren Buffett, Federal Reserve, Stimulus >
- Business Insider 14:23July 6, 2021'Rich Dad Poor Dad' author Robert Kiyosaki warned a historic market crash is coming, trumpeted bitcoin, and championed Warren Buffett's love of brands in a recent interview. Here are the 10 best quotesKiyosaki blasted the federal government for borrowing too much and devaluing the dollar, and encouraged young people to become entrepreneurs.
< Markets, MI Exclusive, Markets, Rich Dad Poor Dad, Robert Kiyosaki, Stocks, Inflation, Bitcoin, Cryptocurrencies, Warren Buffett, Federal Reserve, Stimulus, Gold, Silver >
- Business Insider 12:21July 4, 2021Stimulus check petitions calling for a 4th round of $2,000 monthly payments gain almost 3 million signaturesThe largest petition calling for another round of stimulus checks has more than 2 million signatures, while smaller ones have thousands between them.
< Economy, Politics, Weekend BI UK, Stimulus, Economy, White House, Petition, Economic impact payments, Money >
- Business Insider 22:21July 2, 2021Biden says his work to bring back the economy 'seems to be working a little bit' after it added 850,000 jobs in JuneFollowing the release of June's jobs report that showed 850,000 payroll gains, Biden said his stimulus is behind a revival of the economy.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Policy, Economy, Politics, Biden, Jobs, Stimulus, American Rescue Plan, Infrastructure, Chuck Grassley, Joe Biden >
- Business Insider 22:09July 2, 2021A top Senate Republican credits the Trump tax cuts for June's huge jobs gains and the economy 'roaring back after a virus interlude'A nonpartisan government scorekeeper partly attributed the fast economic rebound to Biden's stimulus. Chuck Grassley says it's four-year-old tax cuts.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Policy, Chuck Grassley, Trump tax cut, Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, Biden stimulus plan, Infrastructure, Taxes, White House, Republicans, Democrats, Joe Biden, Economy >
- Business Insider 22:04July 1, 2021Every job lost in the pandemic will come back by the middle of next year, the government's official scorekeeper saysThe CBO attributed part of the strong economic rebound to Biden's stimulus. It also said the budget deficit will reach $3 trillion this year.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Policy, CBO, Congressional Budget Office, Stimulus, Direct payments, Donald Trump, Joe Biden, Economy >
- Business Insider 20:00June 30, 2021Pelosi rebuffs McConnell's demands on infrastructure, holding firm on clearing a Democrat-only social spending planThe California Democrat stands by her commitment to clear Biden's bipartisan deal only after Senate Democrats approve a party-line bill.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Nancy Pelosi, Mitch McConnell, Senate, House, Infrastructure, Reconciliation, Taxes, Congress, Stimulus, Joe Biden, Biden infrastructure plan, Policy, Economy >
- Business Insider 22:54June 29, 2021The IRS's child tax credit portal 'looks like crap and it's not really usable' for low-income Americans trying to get $300 monthly federal paymentsAn expert tells Insider the tax-agency's non-filer portal is inconvenient and unusable. It could set back Biden's agenda as "it's just really bad."
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Policy, IRS, Child tax credit 2021, CTC, Taxes, tax filing, Intuit, Congress, Joe Biden, Stimulus, Biden administration, Democrats, Economy, Sherrod Brown >
- Business Insider 22:07June 29, 2021Both Biden and Republicans are saying their $1 trillion infrastructure plan is paid for - an expert says it's more like 'pixie dust'A Tax Policy Center expert said the bipartisan group's ideas to fund infrastructure is "a daydream" and it can't be financed without raising taxes.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Policy, Economy, Politics, Infrastructure, Biden, Taxes, Bipartisan, Stimulus, Nancy Pelosi, IRS, Mitch McConnell, Tax Policy Center, urban institute >
- Business Insider 15:55June 26, 20213 fundamental changes from the pandemic economy that could become permanentThe US is reopening and the economy is on the mend. But some trends, like a red-hot housing market and remote work, could be here to stay.
< Economy, Markets, Features, Economy, Labor Market, Economic Recovery, economic outlook, Remote Work, Biden economic plan, Stimulus, Biden stimulus, Housing Market, US housing boom, US Housing Crisis, us housing market, Government Spending >
- Business Insider 21:47June 25, 2021Republicans denounce 'extortion' and threaten to tank Biden's bipartisan infrastructure deal"It seems like the momentum in the Republican caucus is to abandon this deal," said a former GOP aide, one day after Biden touted a bipartisan win.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Policy, Republicans, Democrats, Infrastructure, Stimulus, Corporate tax hike, Trump tax cut, Taxes, Biden infrastructure plan, Economy, Lindsey Graham, Reconciliation >
- Business Insider 00:38June 25, 2021Democrats and Republicans want to fund infrastructure using federal unemployment benefits yanked from workersAround 4 million Americans are set to lose their federal unemployment benefits early. The funds they won't get could pay for a bipartisan bill.
< Economy, Markets, Politics, Economy, Infrastructure, infrastructure spending, Unemployment, Unemployment aid, Unemployment benefits, Stimulus, Coronavirus relief, pua, PEUC, federal unemployment, Policy >
- Business Insider 19:26June 24, 2021Kevin McCarthy mistakenly attributes a 19-year-old's poster promoting the child tax credit to the IRSThe House Minority Leader blamed the IRS for wasting taxpayer dollars but he was citing a poster made by a college student passionate about politics.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Policy, Economy, Politics, Kevin McCarthy, IRS, Child tax credit, Don Beyer, Michael Bennet, Biden, Stimulus >
- Business Insider 17:57June 24, 202125 GOP-led states and one Democratic state are cutting $300 weekly federal unemployment benefits. Here are the 26 states making the cut this summer.More and more Republican-governed states are ending Biden-stimulus jobless aid months before they legally expire in September. Many run out in June.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Policy, Republicans, Democrats, enhanced unemployment insurance, Unemployment benefits, Biden stimulus, Joe Biden, Economy, Jobs, Back to work bonus, Hiring bonus, Employment, Tennessee, Montana, South Carolina, Mississippi, Arkansas, Alabama, Missouri, Doug Burgum, Asa Hutchinson, Henry McMaster, Tate Reeves, Mike Parson, Greg Gianforte, Kim Reynolds, kay ivey, Idaho, Wyoming, Spencer Cox, Utah, South Dakota, Kristi Noem, brian kemp, Georgia, Ohio, Arizona, Doug Ducey, Mike DeWine, New Hampshire, Chris Sununu, West Virginia, Jim Justice, Alaska, Mike Dunleavy, Greg Abbott, Texas, Kevin Stitt, Oklahoma, Indiana, eric holcomb, Ron DeSantis, Florida, Pete Ricketts, Nebraska, Louisiana, John Bel Edwards >
- Business Insider 17:54June 24, 2021Schumer and Pelosi say they're still barreling ahead without the GOP on a multitrillion-dollar social spending package in JulyDemocrats and the GOP are on the verge of striking a $1 trillion infrastructure deal. But top Democrats say they're moving ahead with a separate plan.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Policy, Republicans, Democrats, Joe Biden, Chuck Schumer, Nancy Pelosi, Infrastructure, Stimulus, Economy >
- Business Insider 22:49June 23, 2021Job searches are down in states cutting federal unemployment benefits early, not what you'd expect to see from a 'disincentive to work'Jobs site Indeed found that job searches aren't spiking, even though half of all US states have ended Biden's stimulus unemployment benefits early.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Policy, Economy, Politics, Unemployment, Unemployment benefits, Jobs, Indeed, Stimulus, Biden, Bernie Sanders, jen psaki >
- Business Insider 00:03June 23, 2021Senate Republicans balk at bulking up IRS because they don't want to chase wealthy tax evaders"I am very skeptical that there's a lot of easy money to be had from so-called tax enforcement," Republican Sen. Pat Toomey told Insider.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Republicans, Democrats, Infrastructure, IRS, Taxes, Pat Toomey, senate gop, Stimulus, Tax Evasion, ProPublica, Policy, Economy, Roger Wicker, Shelley Moore Capito >
- Business Insider 23:19June 22, 2021Mississippi paid out $118 million in improper unemployment claims, largely due to fraud and stolen identitiesA Mississippi audit found 5.5% of stimulus unemployment claims were incorrect or fraudulent in 2020, after the OIG found states failed to stop fraud.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Policy, Economy, Politics, Unemployment insurance, Unemployment benefits, Unemployment, Mississippi, Fraud, CARES Act, Stimulus, Biden >
- Business Insider 18:59June 22, 2021If you're a low-income Californian, the state wants to pay off all of your back rentUsing a budget surplus and stimulus money, California is negotiating a rental relief program that would pay off back rent for low-income residents.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Real Estate, Policy, Economy, Politics, California, Gavin Newsom, Rent, Stimulus, Budget, Eviction, eviction moratorium, CDC >
- Breitbart News 15:26June 22, 2021California to Use Federal Money to Pay All Back Rent 'on a Scale Never Seen Before'The State of California will use federal "COVID relief" money to pay all of the back rent owed to landlords by qualifying residents during the coronavirus pandemic -- plus electricity and water bills that may have gone unpaid.
< Economy, Local, Politics, California, coronavirus, COVID-19, Gavin Newsom, stimulus >
- Business Insider 21:54June 21, 2021Psaki says stepping up IRS enforcement would 'raise a great deal more' to pay for infrastructure than a gas tax increaseThe White House separately says it doesn't support a new fee on electric vehicle drivers because it aims to grow a cleaner industry.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Transportation, Congress, Republicans, Democrats, jen psaki, Gas Tax, gas tax increase, Biden infrastructure plan, Joe Biden, Stimulus, IRS, Taxes, Policy, Economy >
- Business Insider 18:48June 21, 2021The White House rejects increasing the gas tax to fund infrastructure, arguing it puts a bigger burden on average Americans"We're not going to accept it," Psaki said on Monday. The GOP favored indexing the gas tax to inflation, which could boost gas prices.
< Economy, Politics, Policy, Gas Tax, White House, Joe Biden, Congress, Republicans, Democrats, infrastructure bill, Stimulus >
- Business Insider 14:45June 18, 2021The GOP's hopes on striking an infrastructure deal with Biden: torching his proposed tax hikesNot every Senate Democrat is onboard with Biden's planned social programs or the methods to finance them and Republicans hope to split the difference.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Republicans, Democrats, Stimulus, Trump tax cuts, infrastructure bill, senate republicans, Policy, Economy, John Cornyn, John Thune, Chris Coons >
- Business Insider 18:08June 17, 2021Bernie Sanders is drafting a $6 trillion infrastructure package, which Senate Democrats are considering passing without the GOP"We have an enormous amount of work in front of us," Sanders said Thursday. He's pushing for aggressive federal action.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Policy, Bernie Sanders, Congress, Republicans, Democrats, Stimulus, Infrastructure, Climate Change, COVID relief, Economy, Reconciliation >
- Business Insider 23:28June 16, 2021Top progressives come out swinging against possible gas tax in bipartisan infrastructure plan since it would hurt lower-income AmericansSen. Ron Wyden said indexing the gas tax to inflation could increase gas prices for average Americans next year.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Gas Tax, Joe Biden, Infrastructure, White House, Republicans, Democrats, Stimulus, Coronavirus relief, Inflation, Policy, Economy, Ron Wyden, Bernie Sanders >
- Business Insider 22:04June 16, 2021Republicans don't want to overhaul the economy as Biden's infrastructure plans draw strong public supportA new poll showed that Biden's $4 trillion sweeping infrastructure plan drew two-thirds support among voters. Republicans are pushing to cut its size.
< Economy, Politics, Policy, Joe Biden, Infrastructure, White House, Congress, Republicans, Democrats, Stimulus, Tax Hikes, Trump tax cuts, senate republicans >