- Business Insider 21:47July 22, 2021Almost half of Americans used the $1,400 stimulus checks to pay off debtFormer Fed economist Claudia Sahm recently published a paper looking at how the third round of stimulus checks helped Americans and economic recovery.
< Economy, Markets, Economy, Stimulus checks, Research, Economic Recovery, coronavirus recovery, Claudia Sahm >
- Business Insider 20:25July 7, 2021Americans are using a record-low portion of their disposable income to pay down debtThe level of household income being used to service debt just hit a record low, the Federal Reserve reports. That's the lowest since at least 1980.
< Economy, Markets, Federal Reserve, Coronavirus relief, Congress, Stimulus checks, Direct payments, Federal unemployment benefits, Debt, Mortgage, Economy, Household Debt, Federal Reserve Bank >
- Business Insider 00:31July 7, 2021Nancy Pelosi rips McConnell for touting stimulus aid for Kentucky: 'Vote no and take the dough'On the subject of state aid in the massive rescue package, McConnell said, "I didn't vote for it, but you're going to get a lot more money."
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Policy, Nancy Pelosi, Mitch McConnell, Republicans, Democrats, Stimulus checks, Direct payments, State Aid, Kentucky, Unemployment benefits, Economy >
- Business Insider 15:21June 9, 2021Americans have saved up to 70% of their latest stimulus checks, Bank of America's CEO says, potentially leaving hundreds of billions unspentBank of America customers have saved most of their stimulus checks, suggesting Americans might be sitting on hundreds of billions of unspent money.
< Economy, News, Politics, News, Brian Moynihan, Bank of America, Stimulus checks, President Biden, COVID-19, labor shortage, Policy >
- Business Insider 12:45June 7, 2021A Ruffer fund nicknamed '50 Cent' made $1.1 billion on bitcoin in 5 months - and could place more crypto bets in the futureRuffer, which made $2.6 billion hedging the pandemic, invested around $600 million in bitcoin in November and sold the last of its coins in April.
< Markets, MI Exclusive, Markets, ruffer, 50 Cent, Bitcoin, cryptocurrency, Stimulus checks, day trading, Meme stocks, Retail Investors, Elon Musk, Tesla >
- Business Insider 21:00June 2, 2021Stimulus checks spurred nearly 50% declines in pandemic-era food shortages and financial worries, study showsThe checks' deliveries even coincided with improved mental health, with recipients reporting drops in symptoms of anxiety and depression.
< Economy, Markets, Economy, Stimulus checks, Stimulus, Economic relief payment, Biden stimulus, Trump stimulus, Coronavirus economic relief, Stimulus payments, University of Michigan, Economic Analysis >
- Business Insider 20:48June 2, 2021A Venezuelan ring is accused of stealing over $800,000 worth of stimulus checks during the pandemicFeds have so far charged one Venezuelan in Florida with identity theft and conspiring to steal stimulus checks, the Miami Herald reports.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Policy, Economy, Politics, Stimulus, Stimulus checks, FBI, Identity Theft, Biden, Poverty, Florida >
- Business Insider 22:15May 26, 20211.2 million people still haven't cashed their first stimulus checkThe Boston Herald cited IRS records showing 1.2 million people either refused to accept, paid back, or didn't cash the initial $1,200 stimulus check.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Policy, Economy, Politics, Stimulus checks, Stimulus, Biden, Trump, CARES Act, IRS, COVID-19, Unemployment benefits, Infrastructure, coronavirus stimulus >
- Business Insider 21:13May 25, 2021Meet the 28 lawmakers who want to make stimulus checks recurring in Biden's infrastructure planAmericans have so far received three stimulus checks, but a growing number of politicians (all Democrats) want those checks to be recurring.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Policy, Economy, Politics, Stimulus, Stimulus checks, Biden, Infrastructure, Democrats, Poverty, COVID-19, CARES Act, stimulus plan, infrastructure plan >
- Business Insider 18:11May 24, 2021The push for permanent stimulus checks continues as 7 Democrats urge Biden to include them in infrastructureDemocrats on the House Ways and Means Committee want to continue delivering stimulus and unemployment aid to sustain the economic recovery.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Policy, Economy, Politics, Stimulus checks, Unemployment benefits, Stimulus, Biden, Ways and Means, jimmy gomez, infrastructure plan, Infrastructure >
- Business Insider 16:53May 14, 2021Billionaire 'bond king' Jeffrey Gundlach blasted stimulus checks for distorting markets - and warned inflation could threaten stock pricesThe DoubleLine Capital CEO labeled cryptocurrencies the market's "poster child," and said the recent sell-off could mean speculation has peaked.
< Markets, MI Exclusive, Jeffrey Gundlach, DoubleLine Capital, Inflation, Stocks, Bitcoin, cryptocurrency, Stock market bubble, Stimulus checks, dot-com bubble, market speculation, Markets >
- Business Insider 13:09May 14, 2021'Big Short' investor Michael Burry predicted the inflation spike a year ago - and sounded the alarm multiple times in February"When we start working and playing again, inflation may be in store," the Scion Asset Management chief said in April 2020.
< Markets, MI Exclusive, Markets, Michael Burry, The Big Short, Inflation, Warren Buffett, Berkshire Hathaway, Stocks, Federal Reserve, Stimulus checks, Pandemic, reopening, Earnings, Scion Asset Management >
- Business Insider 22:13May 7, 2021Jen Psaki says the IRS letter sent to Americans about stimulus checks was 'not intended to make it about' BidenCritics said Biden was taking a line out of Trump's book by sending a letter to recipients of the $1,400 direct payments.
< Politics, News, jen psaki, White House, Stimulus checks, coronavirus, COVID-19, American Rescue Plan, Joe Biden, Donald Trump, IRS >
- Business Insider 00:38May 7, 2021Mitch McConnell claims Biden's stimulus benefits are setting back the economic recoveryThe US has a "workforce shortage and we have raising inflation, both directly related to this recent bill that just passed," McConnell said.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Mitch McConnell, Joe Biden, White House, Republicans, Democrats, Stimulus checks, Unemployment benefits, Direct payments, Inflation, worker shortage, Policy, Economy, inflation risk, inflation risks, inflation expectation, Inflation Expectations, inflation fears, Supply Shortage, Supply shortages >
- Business Insider 22:33April 30, 2021Americans' personal income shot up 21.1% in March, a record dating back to at least 1946"Incomes soared as a result of the stimulus payments made under the March relief bill," said one economist about March's record personal income jump.
< Economy, Markets, MI Exclusive, Stimulus, Stimulus checks, Economy, Personal Income, Biden administration, Personal spending, Jason Furman, Bureau of Economic Analysis, Bureau of Labor Statistics, Commerce Department >
- Business Insider 18:53April 22, 2021Sending 4th and 5th stimulus checks could keep 12 million Americans out of poverty, report findsThe Economic Security Project found stimulus checks are faster and more impactful for lifting Americans out of poverty than any other policy.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Policy, Economy, Politics, Stimulus, Stimulus checks, Biden, Unemployment, Racial gap, Wealth Gap, Poverty, Infrastructure >
- New York Magazine 14:00April 16, 2021Chuck Schumer Has ChangedWhy is the former ‘angry centrist’ pushing his party to go bigger, bolder, and more progressive?
< capitol hill, chuck schumer, the senate, joe manchin, joe biden, stimulus checks, infrastructure, kyrsten sinema >
- Business Insider 18:49April 7, 2021Over 156 million stimulus checks have gone out from the latest stimulus - fulfilling a key 100-day goal for Biden ahead of scheduleRoughly 25 million direct payments went out in the latest batch, the IRS said, amounting to $372 billion. It's just 77 days into Biden's presidency.
< Economy, Markets, Politics, Economy, Stimulus checks, Treasury Department, Stimulus, Economic relief payment, stimulus check, coronavirus stimulus, IRS, Policy, Joe Biden >
- Breitbart News 03:00April 7, 2021Andrew Cuomo's New York: Illegal Aliens to Get $1.1B More in Taxpayer-Funded Aid Than Small BusinessesNearly 200,000 illegal aliens living in New York will soon receive $2.1 billion in taxpayer-funded stimulus checks and unemployment benefits thanks to a budget agreed upon by Gov. Andrew Cuomo.
< Economy, Immigration, Politics, Andrew Cuomo, coronavirus, Democrats, Illegal Aliens, illegal immigration, mass immigration, New York, Republicans, stimulus checks, unemployment benefits >
- Business Insider 20:47April 6, 2021The government's $5 trillion stimulus gamble mostly paid off - but missed poorer Americans along the wayUsing the IRS to send stimulus payments glossed over roughly 12 million Americans with incomes below the tax-filing threshold, Fed researchers said.
< Economy, Markets, Politics, Economy, Fed, Federal Reserve research, Federal Reserve, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, Central Bank, economic research, coronavirus stimulus, Stimulus, Stimulus checks, Economic Stimulus, Policy, IRS, internal revenue service, Social Security, Social Security Administration >
- Business Insider 23:53March 25, 202130 million people may now get their $1,400 stimulus checks after the Social Security Administration released new informationHouse Democrats had given the Social Security Administration a 24-hour deadline to provide the IRS with necessary payment information.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Policy, Economy, Politics, IRS, Stimulus checks, Stimulus, Unemployment benefits, Biden, Richard Neal, Bill Pascrell, internal revenue service, Social Security Administration >
- Business Insider 20:32March 25, 2021Democrats are touting monthly checks for parents in the stimulus, but they may not be monthly after allExperts say the IRS could potentially settle on a quarterly payment system. Democrats want to avoid a bungled rollout along the lines of Obamacare.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Policy, Stimulus, Joe Biden, Child benefit, child allowance, Direct payment, Stimulus checks, Republicans, Democrats, Biden administration, stimulus check, Treasury Department, internal revenue service, IRS, Tax Season, analysis, Economy >
- Business Insider 18:01March 25, 2021Stimulus aid lifted Americans' total incomes by $1.1 trillion last yearStimulus and unemployment checks led to a whopping 36.6% increase in transfer receipts, according to the Bureau of Economic Analysis.
< Economy, Markets, Politics, Politics, Income, Stimulus, CARES Act, Biden, Unemployment insurance, Stimulus checks, Pramila Jayapal, Rashida Tlaib, Bureau of Economic Analysis, Policy >
- Business Insider 18:23March 24, 2021JPMorgan says stimulus checks are driving less retail-investing activity than the last round of paymentsJPMorgan notes that investments in riskier market areas like bitcoin and tech stocks have been less pronounced during this round of stimulus.
< Markets, Stimulus, stimulus and investing, stimulus and stocks, stimulus check, Stimulus checks, Stimulus bill, stimulus package, Stocks, Stock Market, Tech stocks, Stock Market Analysis >
- Business Insider 20:42March 22, 2021People who don't get a $1,400 direct payment by March 24 can expect mailed checks, Treasury saysThe IRS and Treasury are moving swiftly to issue tens of millions of direct payments as the Biden administration implements the stimulus law.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Policy, Stimulus checks, Joe Biden, Biden administration, Republicans, Democrats, Direct payments, Treasury Department, IRS, Debit Card, Economic impact payments, Economy >
- Business Insider 18:48March 19, 2021Investors have piled a record $57 billion into US stocks over the past week amid inflation-fueled volatilityInvestors put $56.76 billion into US equities this past week, a 237% jump from the $16.83 billion that went into stocks the week prior.
< Markets, MI Exclusive, Stocks, US Equities, Record inflows, inflation and stocks, Volatility, Stimulus checks, Federal Reserve >
- Business Insider 16:10March 19, 2021Cash payments aren't always the best way to help those in poverty - an economics professor explains whyCash can help people temporarily, but it doesn't fix structural issues and can create difficulty in deciding who needs the money and who doesn't.
< Strategy, Nordic, The Conversation, Poverty, Aid, Stimulus checks, Economics, Contributor, contributor 2019, Opinion >
- Business Insider 20:03March 18, 2021TurboTax and H&R Block customers face delays on $10,200 unemployment tax break in stimulusThe stimulus plan includes a tax break on the first $10,200 of unemployment benefits, but TurboTax and H&R Block need time to update their software.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Policy, Economy, Politics, H R Block, TurboTax, Stimulus checks, Biden, Unemployment benefits, IRS, Tax refund, Bill Pascrell, Richard Neal >
- Business Insider 19:35March 18, 2021Mohamed El-Erian says investors shouldn't put stimulus checks into the 'most volatile assets'Mohamed El-Erian says investors should ensure they are "picking names properly" to protect against "changing liquidity and economic paradigms."
< Markets, MI Exclusive, Markets, Mohamed El-Erian, Stimulus checks, stimulus and stocks, stimulus and investing, Stocks, stocks and the Fed >
- Business Insider 20:27March 17, 2021Billionaire investor Jeffrey Gundlach warns stocks are hugely overvalued - and amateur traders will worsen the coming crashThe DoubleLine Capital boss expects a "tremendous unwind of a lot of the money that thinks that the stock market is a one-way thing."
< Markets, Finance, MI Exclusive, Markets, Finance, Stocks, Jeffrey Gundlach, Bond King, DoubleLine Capital, DoubleLine Funds, Stock market bubble, Stimulus, Stimulus checks, Retail Investors, day traders, Michael Burry, The Big Short, Total Return Bond Fund >
- Business Insider 20:24March 17, 2021Treasury says it has issued 90 million direct payments - and Americans can start accessing their stimulus checksThe IRS payout means that Americans can start accessing their federal cash, including those with accounts at major banks.
< Economy, Politics, Stimulus checks, Direct deposit, IRS, Treasury, Congress, Democrats, Joe Biden, Biden stimulus, Direct payments, Policy, Economy >
- New York Magazine 23:03March 16, 2021Third Stimulus Checks: Everything You Need to KnowPresident Biden’s $1.9 trillion COVID relief package includes $1,400 stimulus checks. Here’s who’s eligible and when the payments should arrive.
< politics, stimulus checks, covid-19 stimulus, donald trump, joe biden, budget reconciliation, congressional republicans, congressional democrats, american rescue plan >
- Business Insider 22:04March 16, 2021$1,400 stimulus checks can fall prey to private debt collectors. Democrats want to prevent that.Sen. Ron Wyden's office told Insider a standalone bill to protect stimulus checks from debt collectors is coming this week, as the IRS sends them out.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Stimulus checks, Democrats, Ron Wyden, Direct payments, Republicans, Joe Biden, Stimulus law, Treasury, IRS, Policy, Economy >
- Business Insider 20:52March 15, 2021Retail investors could buy a record $3 billion of US stocks the day they get their stimulus money, one research firm says$3 billion of US stock purchases by retail investors would shatter the previous single-day record, according to Vanda Research.
< Markets, MI Exclusive, Stimulus, Stimulus checks, Stocks, GME, AMC, TSLA, Nio, B&B, Blackberry, GameStop, s&p 500, Russell 2000, Dow Jones Industrial Average, Wall Street >
- Business Insider 20:37March 15, 20214 measures in the Biden stimulus law that provide extra cash for AmericansSome parts of the $1.9 trillion Biden stimulus law could permanently strengthen the nation's social safety net in the wake of the pandemic.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Policy, Economy, Joe Biden, Congress, Direct payments, Stimulus checks, Federal unemployment benefits, Tax Credits, EITC, Child tax credit, SNAP >
- Business Insider 18:20March 15, 2021Billionaire investor Mike Novogratz says bitcoin will be like a report card that measures how the government is handling citizens' finances"We're in uncharted territories in how much money we're printing and bitcoin is a report card on that," Novogratz said.
< Markets, MI Exclusive, Mike Novogratz, Bitcoin, bitcoin bull, Cryptocurrencies, crypto investing, Crypto assets, crypto, Markets, Stimulus checks >
- Business Insider 14:32March 15, 2021JPMorgan Chase and Wells Fargo aren't giving customers their $1,400 stimulus checks until March 17. Other banks have paid out already.JPMorgan Chase and Wells Fargo said they are following instructions from the IRS, which lists March 17 as the "official payment date" for checks.
< Finance, News, coronavirus, Stimulus, stimulus check, coronavirus stimulus, News UK, JP Morgan Chase, Wells Fargo, Stimulus checks >
- Business Insider 17:02March 14, 2021The terrible advice of personal finance 'gurus' shows they don't understand povertyDave Ramsey's take on stimulus checks illustrates the privilege and poverty shaming so common in conservative personal finance circles.
< Opinion, Economy, Politics, Opinion, BI Commentary, Personal Finance, Dave Ramsey, Poverty, Economy, economic justice, Stimulus checks, Safety net >
- Business Insider 22:57March 13, 2021Stimulus checks are starting to hit Americans' bank accounts this weekend, but some may not be able to access the money right awayThe IRS said it is officially releasing the direct payments on March 17, so it may take a few more days for major banks to clear them.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Stimulus checks, Direct payments, IRS, Congress, Republicans, Democrats, Citibank, Wells Fargo, Chime, Relief checks, Stimulus payments, Coronavirus relief, Stimulus law, Joe Biden, Treasury Department >
- Business Insider 16:30March 13, 2021Democrats are giving average Americans a load of cash, setting up a clash with Republicans over the social safety netDemocrats say the relief is a big achievement, but it's temporary. The GOP opposes making it permanent but that could be "political suicide."
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Nancy Pelosi, Democrats, Stimulus, Stimulus law, Joe Biden, Stimulus checks, Direct payments, Federal unemployment benefits, enhanced unemployment insurance, Biden administration, analysis, Economy, Policy >
- New York Magazine 00:16March 12, 2021Stimulus Checks Could Arrive This Weekend: White HouseMinutes after Biden signed the stimulus package, press secretary Jen Psaki said Americans could see the third check in their bank account within days.
< white house, stimulus checks, american rescue plan, politics, joe biden >
- Business Insider 22:47March 11, 2021Americans will start receiving $1,400 stimulus checks 'as early as this weekend,' White House saysPresident Joe Biden signed the $1.9 trillion coronavirus stimulus package with $1,400 direct payments into law on Thursday.
< Politics, News, White House, Congress, COVID-19, coronavirus, Stimulus, Checks, Stimulus checks, Direct payments >
- Business Insider 23:58March 10, 2021The $5 trillion in pandemic-era stimulus is more than triple Great Recession-era aid - and suggests a permanent shift in the way Congress spendsThe $2.2 trillion CARES Act and Trump's $1.9 trillion tax cut also signify Congress's new comfort with hugely expensive legislation.
< Economy, Markets, Stimulus, Biden stimulus, Fiscal Stimulus, Economic relief, Economic aid, coronavirus economy, Economic Recovery, Biden stimulus plan, Stimulus bill, Inflation, Economic Growth, stimulus package, Stimulus checks >
- Business Insider 23:48March 10, 2021Biden praises Pelosi as 'the finest and most capable speaker in the history of our nation' after House passes $1.9 trillion stimulus billBiden expects to sign the COVID-19 bill into law on Friday. The package includes $1,400 stimulus checks to millions of Americans.
< Politics, News, Nancy Pelosi, Congress, Joe Biden, White House, COVID-19, Stimulus, Checks, Stimulus checks, coronavirus >
- Business Insider 23:09March 9, 2021White House press secretary Jen Psaki says Biden's name won't be printed on $1,400 stimulus checks to deliver them 'as quickly as possible'Former President Donald Trump displayed his name on the last rounds of stimulus checks sent to millions of Americans.
< Politics, News, White House, Stimulus checks, COVID-19, coronavirus, Americans, Pandemic >
- Business Insider 22:51March 9, 2021House Democrats are inching closer to final passage of $1.9 trillion stimulus legislationThere were no imminent signs of a progressive revolt in the House of Representatives after some parts of the stimulus were changed in the Senate.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Policy, Congress, Joe Biden, House Democrats, Nancy Pelosi, Stimulus checks, Direct payments, Unemployment insurance, Federal unemployment benefits, Economy >
- Business Insider 20:41March 9, 2021Democrats may be about to change the relationship of families to the government foreverThe stimulus bill includes a child tax credit for parents to receive up to $3,600 per child. Making it permanent would nearly halve child poverty.
< Economy, Markets, Politics, Economy, Child tax credit, Biden, President Joe Biden, Stimulus, Stimulus bill, Families, Children, Poverty, Pandemic, Stimulus checks, Child benefits, Democrats, Welfare, Policy, Welfare State >
- Business Insider 22:52March 8, 2021The White House says a 'large number' of Americans will receive $1,400 stimulus checks by the end of MarchThe administration says Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen is "focused like a laser" on getting checks out the door this month.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Congress, Republicans, Democrats, White House, Joe Biden, Stimulus checks, Direct payments, Stimulus bill, Coronavirus relief, Biden administration, Child tax credit, Federal unemployment benefits, House, Senate >
- Business Insider 22:01March 8, 2021People 25 to 34-years old plan to invest half of their stimulus checks in stocks, according to a survey from Deutsche BankCombined, all age groups surveyed will allocate 37% of their stimulus checks to stocks, for a potential inflow of $170 billion, according to the bank.
< Markets, MI Exclusive, Millennials, Investing, Stock Market, Stock Market Outlook, Deutsche Bank, Stimulus checks >
- Business Insider 20:40March 8, 2021Biden poised to sign final stimulus package with $1,400 checks within daysHouse Democrats are voting Tuesday on the final version of the rescue package, which includes direct payments and other cash benefits for Americans.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Policy, Congress, Joe Biden, Stimulus checks, Direct payments, Unemployment insurance, Child tax credit, monthly checks, Federal unemployment benefits, Nancy Pelosi, Progressives, Economy, Pramila Jayapal >