- Business Insider 21:40June 23, 2021Mortgage giants Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac plunge 45% after Supreme Court ruling gives Biden power to remove directorFollowing the ruling, The New York Times reported that President Joe Biden plans to replace FHFA director Mark Calabria.
< Markets, MI Exclusive, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, Stock Market, Supreme Court, stock market 2021, Movers, Trading, Stocks, Markets >
- New York Magazine 21:26June 23, 2021‘Cussing Cheerleader’ Wins in Supreme Court Free-Speech CaseThe Court decided 8-1 that obscene student tirades made on social media are protected unless they disrupt public-school activities.
< politics, u.s. supreme court, first amendment, free speech, cussing cheerleader, brandi levy, public schools, in loco parentis, snapchat, social media, tinker v. des moines >
- New York Magazine 21:02June 23, 2021Democrats’ Voting Rights Push Stalled. It Was Still Worth It.The effort to enact the For the People Act was a smart investment that will pay off richly for Democrats.
< politics, voting rights, filibuster reform, for the people act, john lewis voting rights act, joe manchin, stacey abrams, voting rights act of 1965, u.s. supreme court, mitch mcconnell, donald trump, joe biden, voter suppression >
- Snopes 20:39June 23, 2021High Court Limits when Police Can Enter Home Without WarrantThe high court ruled that when officers are pursuing someone suspected of a misdemeanor, they cannot always enter a home without a warrant if a suspect enters.
< supreme court >
- Snopes 17:58June 23, 2021Justices Rule for Cursing Cheerleader over Snapchat PostThe Supreme Court ruled that a Pennsylvania public school wrongly suspended a cheerleader over a vulgar social media post.
< supreme court >
- Business Insider 16:31June 23, 2021I was a Division I college football player. The Supreme Court's NCAA ruling isn't just a huge moment for college athletes - it's a major warning to America's biggest businesses.Not only does the Supreme Court's ruling weaken the NCAA's stranglehold on college sports, it shows they're open to action against modern monopolies.
< Opinion, Sports, Politics, Economy, Markets, Policy, Economy, NCAA, Supreme Court, College Sports, Brett Kavanaugh, Antitrust, FTC, Department of Justice, Neil Gorsuch, BI Commentary, permalancer, Opinion >
- New York Magazine 02:24June 22, 2021The NCAA Looks Like a Dead Organization WalkingJustice Brett Kavanaugh, of all people, has stuck a dagger into college sports’ unjust business model.
< games, politics, ncaa, college sports, supreme court, labor, brett kavanaugh >
- Business Insider 18:48June 21, 2021Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh ripped the NCAA, saying the organization is 'not above the law'Justice Brett Kavanaugh criticized the NCAA's business model as part of the Supreme Court's ruling against the organization on Monday.
< News, Speed desk, Brett Kavanaugh, NCAA, Supreme Court >
- Breitbart News 17:56June 21, 2021Supreme Court Sides with Athletes, Rejects NCAA Use of Compensation LimitsIn a landmark decision on Monday, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) restrictions on student compensation violate federal antitrust laws.
< Education, Politics, Sports, Mark Emmert, NCAA, NCAA vs. Alston, Neil Gorsuch, Paying College Athletes, U.S. Supreme Court >
- Business Insider 17:24June 21, 2021The Supreme Court unanimously ruled against the NCAA's limits on compensation for student athletesIn an opinion written by Justice Neil Gorsuch, the Supreme Court unanimously ruled against the NCAA.
< Sports, News, Politics, Speed desk, Supreme Court, SCOTUS, NCAA >
- Business Insider 15:04June 19, 2021The US job market is about to turn into a giant science experiment - with millions of Americans as guinea pigsHalf of America's governors are cutting off enhanced unemployment benefits for workers and subjecting millions of people to economic shock therapy.
< Opinion, Politics, Markets, Economy, Unemployment benefits, COVID-19, Bernie Sanders, Job Market, Wages, Unemployment, Joe Biden, Supreme Court, BI Commentary, permalancer, Opinion, Economy, Policy >
- New York Magazine 22:55June 17, 2021Supreme Court Keeps Its Powder Dry on Religious LibertyThe ruling in favor of a Catholic foster-care agency was a setback for LGBTQ equality, but conservative justices could have gone much further.
< politics, supreme court, same-sex couples, foster care, fulton v. city of philadelphia, john roberts, brett kavanaugh, amy coney barrett, samuel alito, neil gorsuch, clarence thomas, obamacare, incrementalism >
- New York Magazine 21:51June 17, 2021Why Republicans Could Never Tell Their Voters the Truth About ObamacareThe legal crusade against affordable health care loses again.
< politics, the national interest, obamacare, supreme court >
- Breitbart News 19:42June 17, 20211st Amendment Victory: SCOTUS Strikes Down Philadelphia Law Forcing Same-Sex Adoption at Catholic OrgThe Supreme Court of the United States (SCOTUS) on Thursday unanimously overturned a lower court ruling regarding the City of Philadelphia barring foster children from being placed with the Catholic Social Services due to its unwillingness to endorse same-sex couples.
< Faith, Politics, John Roberts, Neil Gorsuch, religious liberty, Samuel Alito, SCOTUS, Supreme Court >
- The Guardian 17:48June 17, 2021US supreme court upholds Obamacare after Republicans seek to gut lawJustices affirm constitutionality of Affordable Care Act amid Republican attacks on key provisionThe US supreme court has upheld the Affordable Care Act, better known as Obamacare, after Republicans attempted to gut an important provision of the law during the Trump era.In a 7-2 decision, the court ruled Republican states ultimately did not have “standing” or the right to sue. The ruling avoided the issue of whether the tax provision of the law called the “individual mandate”, and therefore the entire law, was unconstitutional. Continue reading...
< US healthcare, US news, US supreme court, Law (US), Law >
- Breitbart News 17:35June 17, 2021Supreme Court Rejects Obamacare Challenge over Standing Issues, 7-2The U.S. Supreme Court rejected a challenge to Obamacare on Thursday in California v. Texas on technical grounds, holding 7-2 that the plaintiffs -- some 17 Republican-led states -- lacked the standing to bring a suit against the law.
< Health, Politics, California v. Texas, Obamacare, Supreme Court >
- Business Insider 17:34June 17, 2021The Supreme Court unanimously rules in favor of Catholic charity in case that pitted religious freedom against LGBTQ rightsSCOTUS ruled in favor of a Catholic child welfare organization in a case in which the charity declined to place foster children with same-sex couples.
< Politics, News, Speed desk, Supreme Court, SCOTUS, Philadelphia, LGBTQ Rights >
- Business Insider 17:08June 17, 2021The Supreme Court upheld the Affordable Care Act, ruling Texas doesn't have standing to challenge Obama's signature health care lawThe case, filed by a coalition of states led by Texas, challenged the "individual mandate" provision of the Affordable Care Act.
< Politics, News, Speed desk, Supreme Court, SCOTUS, California, Texas, Affordable Care Act >
- Breitbart News 05:47June 15, 2021Whitehouse: Now Is 'the Right Time' for Breyer to RetireOn Monday’s broadcast of MSNBC’s “The Last Word,” Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI) stated that “now would be the right time” for Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer to retire. Host Lawrence O’Donnell asked, “Are you hoping that Justice Breyer creates a
< Clips, Politics, Sheldon Whitehouse, Stephen Breyer, Supreme Court >
- The Guardian 21:37June 14, 2021McConnell: ‘Highly unlikely’ I would let Biden fill supreme court seat in 2024Senate minority leader’s remarks prompt increasing calls for Stephen Breyer to step down during Biden administrationThe Senate minority leader, Mitch McConnell, said on Monday it was “highly unlikely” he would allow Joe Biden to fill a supreme court vacancy arising in 2024, the year of the next presidential election, if Republicans regained control of the chamber. Related: Senior DoJ official to exit amid outcry over seizure of Democrats’ records Continue reading...
< US supreme court, US Senate, US news, Republicans, US politics, Law (US) >
- New York Magazine 21:31June 14, 2021McConnell All But Admits He Would Never Confirm a Biden Supreme Court PickWith McConnell pledging obstruction, Democrats need to make the Supreme Court a major campaign issue for the midterms.
< politics, supreme court, 2022 midterms, mitch mcconnell, merrick garland, brett kavanaugh, robert bork, donald trump, joe biden, barack obama, partisanship >
- Business Insider 18:42June 14, 2021McConnell says it's 'highly unlikely' he'd let Biden fill a Supreme Court seat in 2024McConnell, who previously blocked Obama from filling a court vacancy in 2016, told Hugh Hewitt he'd do the same to Biden.
< Politics, Mitch McConnell, Supreme Court >
- New York Magazine 23:50June 11, 2021Merrick Garland Unveils Plan B for Protecting Voting RightsAs new congressional legislation stalls, the Justice Department will utilize the powers it already possesses to fight voter-suppression measures.
< politics, voting rights, merrick garland, department of justice, civil rights division, kristen clarke, shelby county v. holder, u.s. supreme court, section 2 voting rights act, voting rights act of 1965, john lewis voting rights act, for the people act, voter suppression, election audits >
- New York Magazine 20:40June 11, 2021Will Women Be Required to Register for the Military Draft?After the Supreme Court dodged the question, Congress could move to include women — or abolish registration altogether for the first time since 1940.
< poltiics, military draft, draft registration, u.s. supreme court, sonia sotomayor, draft lottery, selective service system, women in the military, equal rights amendment, vietnam war >
- Breitbart News 02:27June 8, 2021Supreme Court Declines to Hear Case on Military Draft for WomenThe Supreme Court on Monday announced it had denied hearing a case, National Coalition For Men v. Selective Service System.
< Politics, ACLU, draft, SCOTUS, Supreme Court, U.S. military >
- Business Insider 16:59June 7, 2021The Supreme Court said it won't hear a case challenging male-only draft registrationJustice Sonia Sotomayor acknowledged women's changing role in the military but said the court would defer to Congress "for now."
< News, Military & Defense, Politics, Speed desk, selective service, Supreme Court, Military >
- New York Magazine 16:00June 6, 2021The Biggest Supreme-Court Decisions Coming This TermWhat to watch for in the coming weeks, including rulings on religious liberty, voting rights, and yet another Obamacare challenge.
< supreme court, the law, politics, obamacare, religious liberty, election law, first amendment >
- Business Insider 17:41June 3, 2021Trump's 3 Supreme Court appointees joined the 3 liberal justices to put limits on a landmark federal cybercrime lawThe Supreme Court issued an opinion on Nathan Van Buren v. United States on Thursday, putting limits on the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act.
< Politics, Speed desk, Cybercrimes, Supreme Court, supreme court decisions, Computer Fraud and Abuse Act >
- Business Insider 00:29June 3, 2021Trump is pushing conservative writers to say the 2020 election was stolen from him, according to a reportTrump "does really exist strongly in this right-wing ecosystem," NYT's Maggie Haberman said in an interview on CNN.
< Politics, News, Donald Trump, Elections, White House, Joe Biden, Maggie Haberman, New York Times, Mike Lindell, MyPillow, Supreme Court >
- The Guardian(UK) 08:00May 27, 2021UK supreme court to take on paid interns from underrepresented groupsScheme for aspiring lawyers comes as court faces scrutiny over lack of diversityThe supreme court has announced its first paid internships for aspiring lawyers from underrepresented communities as it seeks to increase diversity in the judiciary.The initiative by the UK’s highest court, in collaboration with the charity Bridging the Bar, comes as the supreme court, judiciary and legal profession more widely face scrutiny over accessibility. Continue reading...
< UK supreme court, Law, UK news, Race >
- New York Magazine 14:00May 26, 2021The Radicalism of the Abortion Law the Supreme Court Took UpChief Justice Roberts is thought to favor an incremental-change model. This is far from that.
< supreme court, abortion, intelligencer chats >
- Breitbart News 23:38May 24, 2021Actress Rosanna Arquette Wonders 'How Many Supreme Court Judges Are Members of the KKK'Left-wing Hollywood actress Rosanna Arquette asked her 189k Twitter followers on Monday how many U.S. Supreme Court "judges" are members of the Ku Klux Klan.
< Entertainment, Politics, Social Justice, Hugo Black, Rosanna Arquette, Supreme Court >
- Business Insider 17:04May 24, 2021Supreme Court sends 3 climate change cases against oil and gas companies back to lower courtsThe Supreme Court asked lower courts to reconsider the cases in the wake of its decision on BP PLC v. Mayor and City Council of Baltimore.
< Politics, Speed desk, US Supreme Court, Supreme Court, Politics >
- The Guardian 09:00May 23, 2021Trump’s revenge: tilting of supreme court to the right poised to bear fruitCases on voting rights, abortion and gun control will be a test of the ex-president’s laser-like focus on reshaping the judiciaryDonald Trump’s presidency was capricious and chaotic, but there was one issue on which he focused with laser-like discipline: tilting the judiciary to the right.Now America is about to reap that harvest. In the next year the supreme court is set to consider healthcare, voting, LGBTQ rights, guns and, most explosively, abortion. The cases provide a vivid demonstration of how, after being rejected at the ballot box, conservative partisans could push their agenda through the courts instead. Continue reading...
< US supreme court, US justice system, US news, Donald Trump, US politics, Law (US) >
- Business Insider 21:42May 22, 2021Democratic senators appear to resist calling on Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer to retire: 'That's up to him'Democrats face a court with a 6-3 conservative majority, with abortion rights and gun laws on the line in a highly polarized political environment.
< Politics, Stephen Breyer, Supreme Court, federal judiciary, Senate Democrats, President Joe Biden, Ketanji Brown Jackson >
- Business Insider 02:49May 18, 2021The potential effects of the Supreme Court's abortion case are 'really disturbing,' especially for low-income women and women of color, a lawyer on the case saysThe case concerns a 2018 Mississippi law that bans abortion after 15 weeks. Lower courts so far blocked the law from taking effect.
< Politics, News, Supreme Court, Abortion, Mississippi >
- New York Magazine 00:39May 18, 2021Is Roe v. Wade Now Doomed?We’ve been here before, when the Supreme Court surprised everyone in 1992 by upholding the right to choose. But this new challenge doesn’t look good.
< politics, u.s. supreme court, abortion, roe v. wade, planned parenthood v. casey, dobbs v. jackson women's health organization, john roberts, brett kavanaugh, amy coney barrett, samuel alito, clarence thomas, neil gorsuch, mississippi, anthony kennedy, sandra day o'connor, david souter >
- New York Magazine 19:41May 17, 2021Supreme Court to Hear Case That Threatens Roe v. WadeThe Court will review Mississippi’s 15-week abortion ban, giving the new 6-3 conservative majority its first chance to gut abortion rights.
< scotus, u.s. supreme court, abortion rights, abortion, politics, roe v. wade >
- Business Insider 19:00May 17, 2021The Supreme Court ruled unanimously against police who seized a man's guns from his house without a warrantEdward Caniglia agreed to go to the hospital for a psychiatric evaluation, but after he left, police entered the home and took his two handguns.
< News, Politics, Speed, Supreme Court >
- Business Insider 16:48May 17, 2021The Supreme Court agreed to take up a major abortion case that could seal the fate of Roe v. WadeThe case, Dobbs v. Jackson Women's Health Organization, concerns a law in Mississippi that bans most abortions after 15 weeks.
< Politics, News, Abortion, Supreme Court, Mississippi, Speed >
- The Guardian 16:46May 17, 2021US supreme court agrees to consider major rollback of abortion rightsCourt will take up Mississippi’s bid to enforce a 15-week ban on abortion, setting up a showdownThe US supreme court agreed on Monday to consider a major rollback of abortion rights, saying it will take up Mississippi’s bid to enforce a 15-week ban on abortion. The court’s order sets up a showdown over abortion, probably in the fall, with a more conservative court seemingly ready to dramatically alter nearly 50 years of rulings on abortion rights. Continue reading...
< US supreme court, Abortion, Mississippi, Law (US), US news, Women, World news >
- Snopes 19:07May 13, 2021Justices Consider Hearing a Case on ‘Most Offensive Word’The case is a test of whether the justices are willing to wade into the ongoing, complex conversations about race happening nationwide.
< supreme court >
- Business Insider 16:32May 9, 2021Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer should just retire alreadyDemocrats are barely holding onto the Senate. So the right time for Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer to retire is now.
< Opinion, Politics, Opinion, BI Commentary, columnist, Stephen Breyer, Supreme Court, Politics, Senate Democrats, Joe Biden, Donald Trump, Brett Kavanaugh >
- Breitbart News 16:38May 5, 2021Facebook 'Supreme Court' Upholds the Blacklisting of Donald TrumpFacebook's "Supreme Court" has upheld Mark Zuckerberg's blacklisting of former President Donald Trump's accounts temporarily, giving Facebook another six months to announce whether it will be lifting the suspension or deleting Trump's pages.
< Economy, Politics, Tech, Censorship, Donald Trump, Facebook, Facebook Supreme Court, Free Speech Online, Mark Zuckerberg, Masters of the Universe >
- Breitbart News 18:12May 3, 2021Facebook 'Supreme Court' Will Announce Decision on Trump Blacklisting WednesdayThe Facebook "Supreme Court" will announce its final decision on former President Trump's Facebook account on Wednesday morning, according to a recent announcement.
< Economy, Politics, Tech, Censorship, Donald Trump, Facebook, Facebook Supreme Court, Free Speech Online, Instagram, Mark Zuckerberg, Masters of the Universe, Twitter, YouTube >
- Business Insider 16:34May 2, 2021America hasn't addressed its brutal gun violence crisis because of cowardly, callous leadership. It's time for someone to be courageous.Gun deaths keep adding up and yet leaders do nothing to address the problem. How much tragedy would finally force this country to make real change?
< Opinion, Politics, News, gun violence, Joe Biden, Gun Control, Second Amendment, Supreme Court, Mass Shootings, BI Commentary, Opinion >
- New York Magazine 01:17April 30, 2021Kris Kobach Won’t Go AwayThe Republican Party’s gift that keeps on giving to Kansas Democrats is running for attorney general.
< politics, kansas, 2022 midterms, kris kobach, sam brownback, nativism, presidential commission on election integrity, laura kelly, jeff colyer, roger marshall, pat roberts, donald trump, sb 1070, voter fraud, u.s. supreme court >
- Snopes 22:23April 29, 2021An Unusual Coalition As Supreme Court Rules for ImmigrantBy a 6-3 vote, the court sided with Agusto Niz-Chavez, a Guatemalan immigrant who has been in the United States since 2005.
< immigration, supreme court >
- New York Magazine 19:26April 26, 2021Supreme Court Accepts Case That Could Overturn State Gun LawsA New York concealed-carry licensing regulation that requires demonstration of a distinctive need for self-defense outside the home could soon fall.
< politics, second amendment, guns, gun violence, district of columbia v. heller, concealed-carry laws, brett kavanaugh, amy coney barrett, john roberts, clarence thomas, samuel alito, u.s. supreme court >
- Snopes 18:57April 26, 2021Supreme Court to Take Up Right to Carry Gun for Self-DefenseThe case, which reviews a ruling on New York's restrictive gun permit laws, probably will be argued in the fall.
< gun control, supreme court >