- The Independent Feed 00:48May 22, 2022Treasury earmarks £500,000 of public cash for focus groups and pollsLabour said it is ‘staggering’ the department has green-lit a ‘vanity exercise’ for the Chancellor, but sources insist the research is policy-focused.
< UK >
- The Independent Feed 00:39May 22, 2022Patel urges MPs to avoid ‘mob rule’ and back new Bill to limit protestersInterfering with key national infrastructure – such as railways, roads and printing presses – would become a criminal offence
< UK >
- The Guardian(UK) 00:30May 22, 2022Priti Patel in fresh bid to push through strict anti-protest measures‘We do not make policy through mob rule,’ home secretary will say as she urges MPs to back bill that criminalises obstructing trafficPriti Patel will tell MPs that “we do not make policy through mob rule in this country” as she urges them to give their support to the new public order bill.It represents the home secretary’s latest attempt to introduce measures that have previously been blocked by the House of Lords as part of the police, crime, sentencing and courts bill. Continue reading...
< Priti Patel, Conservatives, Protest, Police, Law, Politics, UK news >
- The Independent Feed 00:00May 22, 2022Charles and Camilla to star in EastEnders special Jubilee episodeThe special programme starring the royal couple is due to be aired on June 2.
< UK >
- The Hill 00:00May 22, 2022Time for a strategic pause on NATO expansionIt’s easy to understand why some would think bringing Sweden and Finland into NATO is a good idea. It would serve Putin right to have his illegal, immoral, and unjustified invasion of Ukraine end up more than doubling Russia’s border with NATO. It would reflect what appears to be the majority sentiment in Finland and a growing majority of Swedes....
< Congress Blog, Foreign Policy, Finland, nato expansion, russian invasion of ukraine, Sweden, ukraine war >
- The Independent Feed 23:53May 21, 2022More than £66,000 donated to Black schoolboy, 11, who lost finger while fleeing ‘bullies’The boy’s mother set up a GoFundMe page with a target of £10,000 to crowdfund the purchase of a prosthetic finger for her son
< Home News, UK >
- The Independent Feed 23:29May 21, 2022Truss and US politicians discuss ‘cast-iron commitment’ to Good Friday AgreementForeign Secretary says topics of conversation ranged from the peace treaty to ‘the importance of free trade’ and Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.
< UK >
- The Independent Feed 23:00May 21, 2022Labour MP opens up about horror of daughter’s hit-and-run deathPeter Dowd said he had no idea that the collision had taken place roughly 100 yards from his home.
< UK >
- The Independent Feed 22:07May 21, 2022Iain Duncan Smith calls for benefits to be boosted in line with inflationThe former Tory leader said a raise in benefits would provide a ‘shield’ against the sting of mounting living costs
< UK >
- Business Insider 21:37May 21, 2022Biden says meeting with Kim Jong Un is dependent on whether the North Korean leader is 'sincere' and 'serious'The Biden administration has aimed to have talks with North Korea without preconditions, but Pyongyang has been resistant to the proposition.
< Politics, International, Joe Biden, Kim Jon Un, North Korea, South Korea, Yoon Suk-yeol, Japan, Donald Trump, Asia, Nuclear Weapons, Nuclear Testing, ballistic missiles, Foreign Policy, weekend BI US >
- FoxNews 21:31May 21, 2022Ukraine leader Zelenskyy proposes deal on Russia compensationUkraine's president Volodymyr Zelenskyy said Russia and Russian President Vladimir Putin should be held financially responsible for their destructive acts during the war in Ukraine. He proposed a deal that would ensure compensation from Russia.
< 549d7c95-def1-50e8-a0c6-d0bbddc4462d, fox-news/world/volodymyr-zelenskyy, fox-news/world/conflicts/ukraine, fox-news/world/world-regions/russia, fox-news/world, fox-news/world/personalities/vladimir-putin, fnc, fox-news/world, article, Fox News, Julia Musto >
- The Guardian(UK) 21:25May 21, 2022Boris Johnson to sacrifice top official over Partygate to save himselfCivil service head will carry the can, amid row over claims that No 10 tried to interfere with Sue Gray’s findingsBoris Johnson is expected to scapegoat the head of the civil service Simon Case this week in a desperate effort to save his own job, as both men face stinging criticism in a report into lockdown-breaking parties in Downing Street.The long-awaited findings of the senior mandarin Sue Gray will, according to several sources, lay particular blame on Case, the UK’s most senior civil servant, for allowing a drinking culture to develop in which rule-breaking parties became commonplace during lockdowns. Continue reading...
< Boris Johnson, Politics, Conservatives, UK news, Metropolitan police, Angela Rayner, Labour >
- FoxNews 21:19May 21, 2022Ukraine war: Zelenskyy's wife waiting for reunification of her family, 'like all families' thereOlena Zelenska said she is awaiting the day she and her family can be reunited with her husband Volodymyr Zelenskyy, just like 'all Ukrainian families.'
< e1836f7a-ae16-5f13-8011-8ca2d0d0b7de, fox-news/world/conflicts/ukraine, fox-news/world/volodymyr-zelenskyy, fox-news/world/personalities/vladimir-putin, fox-news/world/world-regions/russia, fnc, fox-news/world, article, Fox News, Caitlin McFall >
- The Independent Feed 21:05May 21, 2022Monkeypox: Doctors warn of ‘massive impact’ on sexual health services as staff self-isolateClinics were ‘already under significant pressure,’ a sexual health consultant has said
< Home News, UK >
- Business Insider 20:09May 21, 2022Russian oligarchs and companies aren't invited to Davos for the 2022 World Economic Forum annual meeting, marking their first absence since the fall of the USSROligarch Oleg Deripaska is known for his lavish parties at Davos, where models dressed as flight attendants reportedly spoon-fed caviar to guests.
< Economy, Politics, News, Putin, Russia, Ukraine, Davos, World Economic Forum, Switzerland, Ukraine War, Oligarchs, Oleg Deripaska, weekend BI US >
- The Independent Feed 19:51May 21, 2022Johnson congratulates Australian prime minister-electThe UK Prime Minister issued a statement hailing Britain and Australia’s ‘long history’ and ‘bright future’.
< UK >
- FoxNews 19:06May 21, 2022Russia likely running short on drones, hindering key war reconnaissance strategy: UKRussia may be running low on unmanned aerial vehicles advised the U.K. Ministry of Defense Saturday, a problem that could hinder its war effort.
< 11136558-afe9-5dd3-b73e-edd07dc1754b, fox-news/world/conflicts/ukraine, fox-news/world/world-regions/russia, fox-news/world/personalities/vladimir-putin, fox-news/world/volodymyr-zelenskyy, fox-news/world/world-regions/united-kingdom, fnc, fox-news/world, article, Fox News, Caitlin McFall >
- The Independent Feed 19:01May 21, 2022Legal smoking age in UK could rise to 21 after ‘radical’ reviewNew recommendations on smoking policy have the alleged backing of health secretary Sajid Javid
< Home News, UK >
- The Guardian(UK) 19:00May 21, 2022Revealed: one in five patients leave some A&E departments in England without treatmentLong waiting times and difficulty in accessing other NHS facilities drive a trebling in those leaving without completing careMore than one in five patients at some hospitals are leaving accident and emergency departments before completing treatment, and in some cases before being seen for assessment at all, with the rate across England trebling since before the pandemic.Experts told the Observer that the increase was probably driven by a combination of long A&E waiting times and by difficulties accessing NHS facilities such as GPs, community health services and NHS 111. Continue reading...
< NHS, Health, UK news, Society, Hospitals, Health policy, Public services policy >
- The Independent Feed 18:38May 21, 2022Grenfell Memorial Cup ‘more important’ than winning Baftas – Big ZuuThe rapper spoke with the PA News Agency at the tournament, hosted by Queens Park Rangers.
< UK >
- Business Insider 18:17May 21, 2022Maternal death rate isn't as bad if you don't count Black women, GOP senator saysLouisiana's Bill Cassidy said the state's maternal death rate isn't so high if you "correct our population for race," Politico reported.
< News, Politics, Healthcare, Bill Cassidy, Roe v Wade, Racism, Black Women, UK Weekend News >
- Breitbart News 18:07May 21, 2022Joe Biden Flies $40 Billion Ukraine Bill to South Korea to Sign as Russia Claims Strategic Victory in MariupolPresident Joe Biden signed a $40 billion bill providing aid to Ukraine on Saturday in South Korea after it passed in Congress.
< Politics, Joe Biden, Russia, South Korea, Ukraine, White House >
- The Independent Feed 18:04May 21, 2022Plan to prevent food shortages amid fears of ‘biggest rail strike in modern history’RMT general secretary Mick Lynch warned that ‘a national rail strike will bring the country to a standstill’
< UK Politics, UK >
- The Independent Feed 18:01May 21, 2022Rishi Sunak spends £500,000 of taxpayers’ cash on focus groups ‘to repair his image’Two focus groups and one online poll each week until February 2023 will take the total outlay to above £1.35m, Labour protests
< UK Politics, UK >
- The Independent Feed 17:38May 21, 2022Parliament could burn down ‘any day’, says Andrea LeadsomMPs must ‘get on’ with plans to repair the ageing estate, former cabinet secretary says
< UK Politics, UK >
- Business Insider 17:37May 21, 2022Russian state TV guest says the Ukraine war is just a 'rehearsal' to 'test and go up against NATO weapons'"Maybe it will be a learning experience for a future conflict," Russian professor Alexei Fenenko said of the war in Ukraine.
< News, Politics, International, Ukraine, ukraine-russia, Russia, NATO, Vladimir Putin, Putin >
- Business Insider 17:33May 21, 2022'Casanova Scammer' faces jail for defrauding more than 30 women of $1.3 million on dating appsBrian Wedgeworth posed as a doctor for nearly five years, promising women on dating apps that he would help pay off their debts.
< News, Technology, Weekend BI UK, Tinder Swindler, Casanova Scammer, Hinge, Scam, Fraud >
- The Guardian(UK) 17:31May 21, 2022Iain Duncan Smith calls for benefits to rise in line with inflationTory MP says immediate increase in universal credit would provide ‘shield’ against cost of living crisisThe former Conservative leader Sir Iain Duncan Smith has called for benefits to be immediately brought in line with inflation to provide a “shield” against the sting of mounting living costs.He said rebates and discretionary funds represented “a step in the wrong direction for tackling poverty”, arguing it would be better to uplift universal credit (UC) as it “links benefits to work”. Continue reading...
< Welfare, Cost of living crisis, Benefits, Universal credit, Iain Duncan Smith, Politics, UK news, Society >
- FoxNews 17:23May 21, 2022Zelenskyy says UN, Red Cross order Russia to take its 'mountains of corpses'Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy say the UN and the International Committee for the Red Cross had to tell Russian President Vladimir Putin to take his corpses.
< 3bdbe546-3af0-5e01-aba8-fb073aecf00a, fox-news/world/conflicts/ukraine, fox-news/world/world-regions/russia, fox-news/world/volodymyr-zelenskyy, fox-news/world/personalities/vladimir-putin, fox-news/world/united-nations, fnc, fox-news/world, article, Fox News, Caitlin McFall >
- Guardian 17:00May 21, 2022Crypto is starting to lose its cool – just look at El Salvador | Rowan MooreFantasies of a Bitcoin City have been undermined by the country’s huge losses in cryptocurrencyTo its evangelists, bitcoin is a frictionless, empowering form of money that liberates citizens of the world from the shackles of banks and national governments. To sceptics, the cryptocurrency is a tool of kleptocrats and gangsters, environmentally monstrous in its consumption of energy, a digitally glamorised Ponzi scheme whose eventual crash will most hurt those least able to afford a loss.Confidence may or may not have been enhanced by the unveiling, by President Nayib Bukele, of images of a proposed bitcoin-shaped Bitcoin City in El Salvador, funded with a bitcoin bond, the currency’s logo embedded in the central plaza, a metropolis powered with geothermal energy from a nearby volcano. Bukele, the self-styled “coolest dictator in the world”, a former publicist who wears baseball caps back to front, has already made El Salvador the first country to adopt bitcoin as the official currency. “The plan is simple,” he said. “As the world falls into tyranny, we’ll create a haven for freedom.” Continue reading...
< Bitcoin, UK news, Cryptocurrencies, Technology, El Salvador, World news >
- Business Insider 17:00May 21, 2022Russian and Ukrainian restaurants in New York City get tangled in the warWe take a look at how two restaurants in New York City, one Ukrainian and the other Russian, are faring as the war in Ukraine continues.
< Retail, News, Video, Ukraine, Russia, restaurant, Customers, Ukraine War, Ukraine Conflict, Ukraine crisis, New York City, New York City Restaurants, Boycotts, video format insider docs >
- Business Insider 16:56May 21, 2022England's medieval lords were mainly vegetarian and only occasionally gorged on meat at 'massive barbecues,' archeologists sayEngland's pre-Viking elite were "flexitarians" who only consumed huge feasts of meat on special occasions, according to isotopic skeleton analysis.
< Science, UK, Medieval, flexitarian, Meat, plant-based, UK Weekend, News UK >
- Huffington Post UK 16:42May 21, 2022BGT Bosses Speak Out Following Backlash Over Professional And 'Recycled' Acts
< Entertainment, uktv, we love tv, britain's got talent, bgt, we-love-tv, britains-got-talent >
- The Independent Feed 16:40May 21, 2022Celebrities take part in football tournament in memory of Grenfell Tower victimsQPR are hosting the Grenfell Memorial Cup to remember the blaze’s 72 victims.
< UK >
- The Hill 16:30May 21, 2022Russia cuts off natural gas supply to Finland amid NATO disputeFinnish energy company Gasum announced on Saturday that Russia cut off its natural gas supply to Finland following moves by the Nordic country and Sweden earlier this week to formally apply to NATO. “Natural gas supplies to Finland under Gasum’s supply contract have been cut off,” Gasum said in a release. “Starting from today, during...
< Energy & Environment, Finland, NATO, Russian energy, Russian natural gas, Russian war in Ukraine, Sweden, Vladimir Putin >
- Business Insider 16:24May 21, 2022Top Twitter exec says Elon Musk's approach to his takeover has created a 'chaos tax' for the companyJay Sullivan, Twitter's new head of product, said he expected the upheaval caused by Musk's rocky takeover bid to continue.
< News, Technology, Weekend BI UK, Musk, Twitter, Parag Agrawal, Takeover, Twitter takeover >
- The Guardian(UK) 16:23May 21, 2022Plans to keep passengers moving and shelves stocked as UK rail strike loomsWith 40,000 RMT members voting, union warns of ‘potentially biggest rail strike in modern history’Contingency plans are being drawn up to try to keep passenger and freight trains running and prevent empty supermarket shelves after unions warned of “potentially the biggest rail strike in modern history”.The National Union of Rail, Maritime and Transport Workers (RMT) is balloting 40,000 members on the strike, which network sources have reportedly said would create “serious challenges” in keeping goods moving and supermarket shelves stocked. Continue reading...
< Rail transport, Transport, RMT, Trade unions, Politics, UK news, Network Rail, Rail industry, Business >
- Business Insider 16:10May 21, 2022Scientists 'really surprised' after gene-editing experiment unexpectedly turn hamsters into hyper-aggressive bulliesGeorgia State University scientists were "really surprised" after a gene-editing experiment led to Syrian hamsters showing high levels of aggression.
< Science, Hamsters, Aggression, Neuroscience, Experiment, UK Weekend, News UK >
- Business Insider 16:05May 21, 2022Putin is losing his grip on power and top Russian security officials think the Ukraine war is 'lost,' expert saysThe "informed elite" within Russian security forces "understand that the war is lost," said Bellingcat's lead Russia investigator Christo Grozev.
< International, News, Putin, Russia, ukraine-russia, UK Weekend, News UK >
- The Guardian(UK) 16:00May 21, 2022How London’s new rail project has created a sanctuary for birdsMillions of tonnes of earth from the Crossrail development has been used to create a nature habitat on the Wallasea Island, Essex stretch of the Elizabeth lineLondon’s new Elizabeth line will allow commuters to start taking high-speed trains under the city this week, on part of a 73-mile route that stretches from Reading in the west to Shenfield in the east. They will not be the first travellers to enjoy the benefits of the new line, however.On Wallasea Island in Essex, thousands of birds have already taken advantage of the £19bn rail project – on a mosaic of lagoons, islands, and bays that have been created out of 3.5m tonnes of earth that were dug up during construction of its new stations and 13 miles of twin tunnels. Continue reading...
< Birds, Conservation, Animals, Environment, Wildlife, Crossrail, UK news, Essex, London >
- Business Insider 15:46May 21, 2022Jair Bolsonaro, who's accused of trying to silence critics on Twitter, calls Musk's buyout a 'breath of hope'Brazilian president has been accused of trying to silence those who criticize or disagree with him and positioned himself as a free-speech champion.
< International, News, Weekend BI UK, Jair Bolsonaro, Brazil, Elon Musk, Amazon Rainforest, SpaceX, Tesla >
- Business Insider 15:32May 21, 2022Biden signs a $40 billion aid package for UkraineThe bill includes $20 billion in military assistance, $8 billion in economic support, and $5 billion to address global food shortages.
< AP, Associatd Press, Biden, Ukraine, Russia >
- FoxNews 15:19May 21, 2022Biden signs $40B Ukraine aid bill that was flown to South KoreaPresident Biden signed $40 billion aid package to Ukraine from South Korea after it passed with large bipartisan support this week.
< 2b113b4f-9eae-598c-bb29-8863ef2f5169, fox-news/person/joe-biden, fox-news/politics/executive/white-house, fox-news/world/conflicts/ukraine, fox-news/world/world-regions/south-korea, fnc, fox-news/politics, article, Fox News, Caitlin McFall >
- The Independent Feed 15:16May 21, 2022Boris Johnson and Sue Gray clash over ‘secret meeting’ about Partygate reportReport team furious about No 10 claim she initiated the talks – while opposition parties demand answers
< UK Politics, UK >
- Business Insider 15:15May 21, 2022The commodities shock has raised fears of 1970s-style stagflation happening again. Here's why this time could be different."By some measures, recent events look even more disruptive than those of the 1970s," a report from the Bank for International Settlements said.
< Markets, MI Exclusive, Russia, Ukraine, Markets, Commodities, War, Inflation, Stagflation >
- Business Insider 15:13May 21, 2022Shanghai is finally lifting its lockdown after 7 weeks. The global economy has yet to feel its full impact, experts warn.The lockdown shuttered factories across the city and caused delays at ports. The ripple effects are being felt by Starbucks, Apple, and more.
< Transportation, News, Features, Supply Chain, Shanghai, Lockdown, Transportation, Transportation & Logistics, Shipping, shipping companies, Starbucks, Amazon, Tesla, COVID-19, Weekend BI UK >
- Guardian 15:00May 21, 2022TikTok and tiaras: the youngsters leading a new generation of royalistsA 70-year reign is being hailed in 60-second video clips to mark the Queen’s platinum jubilee – winning over hundreds of thousands of followers Charlie Richardson, 19, known on TikTok as notaroyalexpert, has been working tirelessly over the past few weeks to update his online audience on the Queen’s recent appearances, as well as dispelling rumours that she has died and is now a CGI hologram.His recent edits include footage of the Duchess of Cambridge and other royals shaking hands at a Buckingham Palace garden party to the soundtrack of Lizzo’s dancefloor anthem About Damn Time. Another shows an avatar of the Queen spinning round to Abba’s Dancing Queen. Naturally, he is already planning what to upload on the momentous day of Her Majesty’s platinum jubilee. Continue reading...
< TikTok, Queen's platinum jubilee, The Queen, Monarchy, Young people, Society, Technology, Internet, UK news >
- Business Insider 14:53May 21, 2022Boeing's Starliner docks with the International Space Station for the first timeBoeing's Starliner docks with the International Space Station for the first time on its second test flight, showing its ability to transport people.
< Space, News, Space, NASA, Boeing, ISS, BI Weekend UK >
- FoxNews 14:50May 21, 2022Ukraine's Zelenskyy pushes for new security agreements without Russia, apart from peace talksUkrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said Russia will not be involved in any future international security guarantees following its violation of the Budapest memorandum.
< 93b8850c-ef49-5d96-8ada-d4f3b7ac9f7f, fox-news/world/conflicts/ukraine, fox-news/world/volodymyr-zelenskyy, fox-news/world/world-regions/russia, fox-news/world/personalities/vladimir-putin, fox-news/politics/defense, fnc, fox-news/world, article, Fox News, Caitlin McFall >
- The Independent Feed 14:38May 21, 2022Dorries’ claim that Channel 4 reality show used paid actors ‘unfounded’The production company behind Tower Block Of Commons believes the Culture Secretary’s claims to be unfounded but said it will investigate the matter.
< UK >