- Business Insider 16:25June 24, 2021Biden nominates Cindy McCain for ambassadorship with the UN food agencyCindy, the widow of the late Sen. John McCain and an Arizona businesswoman, broke with the GOP to endorse Biden during the 2020 campaign.
< Politics, International, White House, cindy mccain, United Nations >
- The Guardian 19:34June 23, 2021IPCC steps up warning on climate tipping points in leaked draft reportScientists increasingly concerned about thresholds beyond which recovery may become impossibleClimate scientists are increasingly concerned that global heating will trigger tipping points in Earth’s natural systems, which will lead to widespread and possibly irrevocable disaster, unless action is taken urgently.The impacts are likely to be much closer than most people realise, a a draft report from the world’s leading climate scientists suggests, and will fundamentally reshape life in the coming decades even if greenhouse gas emissions are brought under some control. Continue reading...
< Climate change, Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), Environment, World news, United Nations, Climate change, Greenhouse gas emissions >
- Business Insider 16:40June 22, 2021Cryptocurrencies and blockchain technology could help fight the climate crisis and make the global economy more sustainable, UN report says"One of the most useful aspects of cryptocurrencies, as far as the UN is concerned, is transparency," the organization said.
< Markets, MI Exclusive, Markets, United Nations, UN, blockchain technology, cryptocurrency, crypto, World Food Programme >
- New York Times 12:09June 22, 2021North Korea to Washington: Timetable on Talks Is Up to Us, Not YouThe country turned down an American offer to resume negotiations “without preconditions,” as President Biden’s envoy visited the region.
< North Korea, United States International Relations, Defense and Military Forces, Diplomatic Service, Embassies and Consulates, Nuclear Weapons, Embargoes and Sanctions, Workers' Party of Korea, ABC News, Korean Central News Agency, United Nations, Biden, Joseph R Jr, Kim Jong-un, Kim Yo-jong, Sullivan, Jacob J (1976- ) >
- New York Times 11:32June 22, 2021U.N. Says Great Barrier Reef Is ‘in Danger.’ Australia Bitterly Disagrees.UNESCO has called on the government to quickly mitigate the effects of climate change on the natural wonder and tourist destination, but officials say they are already doing plenty.
< Reefs, Coral, World Heritage Sites, Global Warming, United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, Great Barrier Reef (Australia) >
- Breitbart News 02:46June 22, 2021United Nations Applauds Biden Bringing 4X More Refugees to U.S. as TrumpThe United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees Filippo Grandi is praising President Joe Biden's plan to bring four times as many refugees to the United States this year as former President Trump had planned.
< Immigration, Politics, Afghanistan, Joe Biden, legal immigration, mass immigration, refugee resettlement, refugees, Trump, United Nations >
- The Guardian 01:29June 22, 2021UN warns of worst ‘cascade of human rights setbacks in our lifetimes’Rights chief calls for concerted global action, citing recent violations in China, Russia and EthiopiaThe UN rights chief has called for concerted action to recover from the worst global deterioration of rights she had seen, highlighting the situation in China, Russia and Ethiopia among others.“To recover from the most wide-reaching and severe cascade of human rights setbacks in our lifetimes, we need a life-changing vision, and concerted action,” Michelle Bachelet told the opening of the UN Human Rights Council’s 47th session. Continue reading...
< United Nations, Michelle Bachelet, Human rights, World news, China, Russia, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Uyghurs, Alexei Navalny, Xinjiang >
- The Guardian 00:51June 22, 2021Great Barrier Reef should be listed as ‘in danger’, Unesco recommendsAustralian government ‘stunned’ by recommendation and will strongly oppose draft decision, environment minister Sussan Ley saysThe Great Barrier Reef should be placed on to a list of world heritage sites that are “in danger”, according to a recommendation from UN officials that urges Australia to take “accelerated action at all possible levels” on climate change.The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization says the world’s biggest coral reef system should be placed on the list at the world heritage committee meeting next month. Continue reading...
< Great Barrier Reef, Sussan Ley, Environment, Australia news, Australian politics, Unesco, Climate change, United Nations, Queensland >
- The Guardian 21:56June 21, 2021Venice may be put on endangered list if cruise ships not banned, says UnescoThe UN heritage agency says the historic centre is in danger if ships are not diverted to another portThe UN art heritage agency has said it would examine a proposal to put Venice on its endangered list if the lagoon city does not issue a permanent ban on cruise ships docking there, according to the Italian news agency Ansa.Unesco said on Monday it will discuss the issue at its plenary session on July 16-31. If approved, the agency could demand urgent action by the Italian government by next February. Continue reading...
< Italy, Unesco, Heritage, Culture, Europe, World news, United Nations, Shipping industry >
- Breitbart News 13:47June 21, 2021Angelina Jolie: Climate Change will Force Hundreds of Millions into Refugee StatusAngelina Jolie made a fly in-fly out visit to a remote camp in Burkina Faso on Sunday to address refugees who have fled Islamic jihadist violence in the region, warning them the threat of climate change is real and could lead millions to a fate like theirs.
< Africa, Entertainment, Politics, Angelina Jolie, Burkina Faso, Climate Change, United Nations, West Africa >
- The Guardian(UK) 12:30June 20, 2021UN blasts world leaders for failing to seal £72bn-a-year deal on climateFinancial aid ‘critical’ to help developing countries limit fossil fuels – and make Cop26 a success, says UNThe head of climate change at the UN has warned that world leaders are still “far away” from securing a deal to limit the disastrous effects of global heating, with less than five months to go before a key summit in Glasgow.Time is now running out, said Patricia Espinosa, who was formerly foreign minister of Mexico but now leads the UN on climate policy. She told the Observer that although advances had been made at the G7 meeting in Cornwall last weekend, progress had not been made on honouring past commitments to find $100bn (£72.5bn) a year to help developing countries invest in green technologies. Continue reading...
< Cop26: Glasgow climate change conference 2021, Climate aid, Extinction Rebellion, Climate change, G7, United Nations, Fossil fuels, COP 21: Paris climate change conference 2015, Energy, Climate change, UK news, Global climate talks, Greenhouse gas emissions >
- The Guardian 23:37June 18, 2021United Nations condemn military coup in MyanmarGeneral Assembly also calls for arms embargo in rare move that demonstrates global opposition to juntaIn a rare move, the UN General Assembly has condemned Myanmar’s military coup and called for an arms embargo against the country in a resolution demonstrating widespread global opposition to the junta and demanding the restoration of the country’s democratic transition. Related: Trial of Aung San Suu Kyi begins in closed courtoom in Myanmar Continue reading...
< Myanmar, World news, United Nations, South and Central Asia, Protest >
- New York Times 14:17June 16, 2021Mediators Push to Restore Cease-Fire in Gaza After Overnight StrikesForeign diplomats worked to calm tensions on Wednesday after the first armed exchange between Hamas and Israel since an 11-day air war in May.
< War and Armed Conflicts, Palestinians, Peace Process, Hamas, United Nations, Gaza Strip, Israel >
- The Guardian 18:30June 11, 2021UN decries Myanmar ‘catastrophe’ as Aung San Suu Kyi’s trial loomsHuman rights commissioner says junta is ‘singularly responsible for crisis’ ahead of ousted leader’s trialMyanmar has descended into a “human rights catastrophe”, the UN’s top human rights official has warned in the run-up to the scheduled start of the trial of Myanmar’s ousted leader, Aung San Suu Kyi, who faces criminal charges that could lead to decades in prison.Aung San Suu Kyi, who previously spent a total of 15 years in detention at the behest of Myanmar’s generals and is widely revered as a symbol of the country’s yearning for democracy, is expected to appear in court in Naypyidaw on Monday. Continue reading...
< Myanmar, United Nations, Human rights, Aung San Suu Kyi, South and Central Asia, World news >
- Observer 17:42June 9, 2021Shirley Temple, Iconic Actress and Diplomat, Is the Star of Today’s Google DoodleTemple retired from Hollywood at the age of 22 and went on to lead a life of public service.
< "On the Good Ship Lollipop", google doodle, Stand Up and Cheer, U.N. Conference on the Human Environment, United Nations >
- New York Times 16:16June 9, 2021Biden Aims to Bolster U.S. Alliances in Europe, but Challenges LoomThe good will President Biden brings on his first trip abroad papers over lingering doubts about U.S. reliability and the cost that Europe will be expected to pay.
< Biden, Joseph R Jr, United States Politics and Government, United States International Relations, Group of Seven, Europe, Russia, Putin, Vladimir V, Trump, Donald J, Cold War Era, Presidential Election of 2020, Cyberwarfare and Defense, China, Global Warming, Greenhouse Gas Emissions, United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change >
- New York Times 12:10June 8, 2021A U.N. Declaration on Ending AIDS Should Have Been Easy. It Wasn’t.Even with U.N.’s previous goals unmet, delegates tried to water down provisions regarding protections for vulnerable populations and patents for essential drugs.
< your-feed-science, Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome, Discrimination, Inventions and Patents, Vaccination and Immunization, Drugs (Pharmaceuticals), Intellectual Property, Homosexuality and Bisexuality, Prostitution, Sex Education, European Union, United Nations, Russia, Belarus, China, Iran, United States, Switzerland, Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) >
- The Guardian 10:00June 7, 2021We are running out of time to reach deal to save natural world, says UN talks chairWarning comes amid fears of further delays to Kunming summit, which aims to agree on curbing destruction of ecosystemsThe world is running out of time to reach an ambitious deal to stem the destruction of the natural world, the co-chair of negotiations for a crucial UN wildlife summit has warned, amid fears of a third delay to the talks.Negotiators are scheduled to meet in Kunming, China, in October for Cop15, the biggest biodiversity summit in a decade, to reach a hoped-for Paris-style agreement on preventing wildlife extinctions and the human-driven destruction of the planet’s ecosystems. Continue reading...
< Biodiversity, Environment, Conservation, Endangered habitats, Wildlife, Climate change, United Nations, World news, Endangered species, Animals, Coronavirus, China, Asia Pacific >
- The Guardian(UK) 08:00June 7, 2021Spat at, abused, attacked: healthcare staff face rising violence during CovidData shows increased danger for those on the frontline in the pandemic, with misinformation, scarce vaccines and fragile health systems blamed‘They stormed the ICU and beat the doctor’: health workers under attackHundreds of healthcare workers treating Covid patients around the world have experienced verbal, physical, and sometimes life-threatening attacks during the pandemic, prompting calls for immediate action from human rights campaigners.Covid-related attacks on healthcare workers are expected to rise as new variants cause havoc in countries such as India and rollouts of vaccination programmes belatedly get under way in some countries, according to the UN special rapporteur on the right to health. Continue reading...
< Coronavirus, Global health, World news, Health, Doctors, Nursing, Human rights, International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), United Nations, UK news, Nicaragua, India, Sudan, Pakistan, Italy, Africa, Americas, Europe, Middle East and North Africa, South and Central Asia >
- New York Times 00:56June 7, 2021Cholera ‘Forever Destroyed’ U.N.’s Image in Haiti, Ban Ki-moon SaysIn a memoir, the former secretary general said the United Nations should have done far more to combat a cholera scourge traced to peacekeepers. But he also criticized Haitian leaders and the lawyers who sued him.
< Compensation for Damages (Law), Cholera, Earthquakes, Ban Ki-moon, Preval, Rene, Haiti, United Nations >
- New York Times 21:18June 4, 2021Denmark Would Push Asylum Seekers Outside Europe for ProcessingA new law is the latest in a series of hard-line measures that have been introduced in recent years to discourage migration.
< Middle East and Africa Migrant Crisis, United Nations, United Nations High Commission for Refugees, Frederiksen, Mette, Denmark, Europe >
- New York Times 20:31June 2, 2021After Eruption, Residents in Congo Struggle to Find Food and ShelterMount Nyiragongo exploded on May 22, leaving hundreds of thousands of displaced people amid threats of new disasters.
< Volcanoes, Congo, Democratic Republic of (Congo-Kinshasa), Evacuations and Evacuees, United Nations >
- Breitbart News 01:53May 29, 2021U.N. Human Rights Council Puts Israel on Trial, PermanentlyThe United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) voted Thursday to establish a permanent “Commission of Inquiry" into Israel -- and only Israel -- in response to the recent 11-day war in Gaza, launched by Palestinian Hamas terrorists.
< Israel / Middle East, National Security, Politics, anti-Israel, China, Hamas, Israel, Linda Thomas-Greenfield, Palestinians, Russia, unhrc, United Nations, United Nations Human Rights Council >
- New York Times 02:00May 28, 2021U.N. Rights Council Orders Inquiry Into Israel After Gaza StrifeActing in the aftermath of the fighting in Gaza, a United Nations panel in Geneva approved a far-ranging inquiry into Israel’s actions.
< Israel, Gaza Strip, United Nations Human Rights Council, Palestinians, Civilian Casualties, Human Rights and Human Rights Violations, War Crimes, Genocide and Crimes Against Humanity, Bachelet, Michelle, Netanyahu, Benjamin >
- New York Times 20:34May 27, 2021Goma, Congo, Is Partly Evacuated Due to Volcano Eruption Fears [Video]Days after a deadly eruption of Mount Nyiragongo in Democratic Republic of Congo, the threat of another eruption forced the evacuation of much of the city of Goma.
< Earthquakes, Volcanoes, United Nations, Africa, Congo, Democratic Republic of (Congo-Kinshasa), Goma (Congo, Democratic Republic of), Lake Kivu, Mount Nyiragongo (Congo, Democratic Republic of) >
- New York Times 20:04May 27, 2021Goma, Congo, Is Partly Evacuated Due to Volcano Eruption FearsDays after a deadly eruption of Mount Nyiragongo in Democratic Republic of Congo, the threat of another eruption forced the evacuation of much of the city of Goma.
< Earthquakes, Volcanoes, United Nations, Africa, Congo, Democratic Republic of (Congo-Kinshasa), Goma (Congo, Democratic Republic of), Lake Kivu, Mount Nyiragongo (Congo, Democratic Republic of) >
- The Guardian(UK) 13:51May 27, 2021UN rights body debates ‘systematic discrimination’ in Israel and PalestineUN chief says Israel attacks on Gaza could constitute war crimes and accuses Hamas of firing indiscriminate rocketsThe UN’s main human rights body is to meet to discuss launching an investigation into “systematic discrimination and repression” in Israel and Palestine, with the aim of identifying what it said were the root causes of recent Gaza bloodshed.A draft proposal that calls for unprecedented levels of scrutiny of alleged abuses, called at the request of Muslim states, will be put before the 47-member UN Human Rights Council on Thursday. Continue reading...
< Israel, Gaza, United Nations, Human rights, Middle East and North Africa, Palestinian territories, World news >
- New York Times 21:02May 26, 2021Famine Looms in Ethiopia’s War-Ravaged Tigray Region, U.N. SaysThe top humanitarian official at the United Nations warned that parts of Tigray are one step from famine, as the government hinders relief shipments.
< Humanitarian Aid, War and Armed Conflicts, Tigrayans (Ethnic Group), Famine, United Nations, United States Agency for International Development, Ahmed, Abiy, Power, Samantha, Ethiopia >
- Business Insider 20:52May 26, 2021Iran is enriching uranium at levels 'only countries making bombs are reaching,' UN's nuclear watchdog warns"You cannot put the genie back into the bottle," the head of the UN's nuclear watchdog warned of advancements in Iran's nuclear program.
< Politics, International, News, Rafael Grossi, IAEA, United Nations, Iran, iran nuclear deal, jcpoa, Donald Trump, Joe Biden >
- The Guardian 15:21May 25, 2021Children’s bodies wash up on Libyan beach after migrant boats sinkBodies found on beach in Zuwara have been removed and buried in nearby cemeteryPhotos have emerged of the bodies of babies and toddlers washed up on a beach in Libya, highlighting the human tragedy of the migration crisis on Europe’s borders.According to one of the charities that posted the photos on Twitter, the children were travelling with their parents on one of the many dinghies that set off from Libya in recent days. Continue reading...
< Migration, Libya, Europe, United Nations, World news, Africa, Middle East and North Africa >
- The Guardian(UK) 20:41May 22, 2021We don’t recognise our own city: Israeli barrage redraws the map of GazaA ceasefire is finally in force, but traumatised families have little hope as they recall collapsing buildings and deaths of loved onesAs they emerge from hiding, people living in Gaza City have had to adapt their memories. So deformed is this small place on the coast that a mental map of its roads and landmarks from two weeks ago is largely useless today. Shortcuts to avoid traffic may no longer work, as craters dot back streets and rubble blocks roads. Locally famous high-rises no longer exist.Eleven days of bombardment have buckled the city. Air attacks shook the ground so violently that some bomb sites appear as if buildings have been pulled into the earth rather than hit from above. Continue reading...
< Gaza, Israel, Palestinian territories, Middle East and North Africa, World news, Hamas, Benjamin Netanyahu, Egypt, United Nations >
- New York Times 03:14May 21, 2021U.S. Aid to Rebuild Gaza Hinges on Hamas's Rocket ArsenalThe effort could cost billions of dollars, and U.S. officials predicted it would be welcomed by Hamas. But would it moderate the militant group’s actions toward Israel?
< Palestinians, War and Armed Conflicts, United States International Relations, United States Politics and Government, Humanitarian Aid, Hamas, United Nations Relief and Works Agency, Gaza Strip, Israel >
- The Guardian(UK) 17:15May 19, 2021Governments achieve target of protecting 17% of land globallyUN report warns that quantity not matched by quality, with many conserved areas poorly protected, as Germany backs new landscapes fund for developing countriesAn area greater than the land mass of Russia has been added to the world’s network of national parks and conservation areas since 2010, amid growing pressure to protect nature.As of today, about 17% of land and inland water ecosystems and 8% of marine areas are within formal protected areas, with the total coverage increasing by 42% since the beginning of the last decade, according to the Protected Planet report by the UN Environment Programme (Unep) and International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN). Continue reading...
< Biodiversity, Conservation, Wildlife, Environment, United Nations, Germany, Europe, World news, National parks >
- Breitbart News 13:32May 19, 2021Israel Accuses China of 'Blatant anti-Semitism' After State TV Says 'Wealthy Jews' Control U.S. Foreign PolicyThe Israeli embassy in Beijing on Wednesday accused China of "blatant anti-Semitism" after a state TV report on U.S. foreign policy broached Jewish conspiracy theories to explain the ongoing Palestinian Hamas terrorist violence.
< Asia, Israel / Middle East, Politics, anti-semitism, China, diplomacy, Gaza Strip, Israel, Joe Biden, Judaism, United Nations Security Council, Wang Yi >
- The Guardian 07:24May 19, 2021Israel-Gaza conflict: France adds to ceasefire pressure on US as violence ragesFrance pushes draft resolution pushing for humanitarian access and ceasefire as airstrikes and rocket fire continues France has increased pressure on the US to publicly call for a ceasefire in the Israel-Gaza conflict after a UN security council meeting ended without a joint statement, and airstrikes and rocket fire continued into the night.France is pushing a draft resolution – coordinated with Egypt and Jordan – that is intended to focus on a few basic points: a cessation of violence and access for humanitarian relief agencies. There would be no set timetable but the steps in the resolution would be presented as urgent. Continue reading...
< Israel, Gaza, Middle East and North Africa, World news, US news, France, United Nations, Palestinian territories >
- Business Insider 16:07May 18, 2021Biden said the US was committed to accepting more refugees. So where are they?Officials at US refugee agencies told Insider rebuilding the resettlement program will not be easy, but there are signs change is on the way.
< Analysis, Politics, Refugee, Refugee Crisis, UNHCR, United Nations, BI Graphics, Samantha Lee >
- Business Insider 04:08May 17, 2021Netanyahu says military campaign will continue despite increasing calls for ceasefire as Israeli airstrikes killed 42 people in Gaza SundayNetanyahu said the attacks would continue at "full-force" and that "we'll do whatever it takes to restore order and quiet."
< Politics, Israel, Israel-Palestine, Benjamin Netanyahu, United Nations >
- The Guardian 21:54May 16, 2021Israel and Palestine heading for ‘uncontainable’ crisis, UN chief warnsForty-two Palestinians killed by airstrikes in Gaza as Hamas launches more rocket attacks on IsraelThe eruption of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict is heading for an “uncontainable security and humanitarian crisis”, the UN secretary general has warned after a day of significant escalation with 42 Palestinians killed by airstrikes in Gaza.The death toll made it the deadliest single attack since fighting broke out between Israel and the Palestinian militant group Hamas a week ago. Fifty Palestinians were injured. Meanwhile, air-raid sirens sounded for the seventh consecutive day across southern Israel as Hamas and other militant groups in Gaza launched more rocket attacks into the country – and reaching further – than in the entirety of the 2014 war. Continue reading...
< Gaza, Israel, Palestinian territories, United Nations, Benjamin Netanyahu, US foreign policy, Joe Biden, Middle East and North Africa, World news >
- The Guardian(UK) 15:46May 16, 2021UN champions Mauritian control of Chagos Islands by rejecting UK stampsRefusal to recognise British Indian Ocean Territory stamps is latest move to assert Mauritian sovereigntyStamps issued by the British Indian Ocean Territory could soon be rendered invalid after the United Nations’ Universal Postal Union (UPU) council recommended they no longer be recognised, in the latest step rejecting the UK’s claim to the Chagos Islands.The move by the UPU, the second oldest international organisation, is in recognition of Mauritian sovereignty over the strategically important islands in the Indian Ocean and is the first of what is likely to be many by UN specialised agencies, such as the International Civil Aviation Organization and International Monetary Fund. Continue reading...
< Chagos Islands, Mauritius, World news, United Nations, Africa, Colonialism >
- The Guardian(UK) 07:24May 16, 2021Israel PM Netanyahu vows to continue Gaza attacks for ‘as long as necessary’Three Palestinians were killed in bombardments early Sunday as the UN security council prepared to meet later in dayIsrael’s prime minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, has said attacks in Gaza will continue “as long necessary”, amid continuing hostilities that have so far killed 148.At least three Palestinians were killed in airstrikes early on Sunday, health officials said, and many were injured as the sounds of heavy bombardment took place through the night. Continue reading...
< Gaza, Israel, United Nations, US news, Middle East and North Africa, Palestinian territories, World news >
- New York Times 00:17May 15, 2021In Clash of Israeli Arabs and Jews, Ripples From 1948Just after Israel’s modern birth, the town of Lydda posed a test of how the state would treat some Palestinian communities. It is a legacy playing out today in mob attacks in Lod, as it’s now known.
< Palestinians, War and Armed Conflicts, United Nations, Ben-Gurion, David, Lod (Israel), Israel >
- The Guardian(UK) 08:00May 14, 2021Rape is being used as weapon of war in Ethiopia, say witnessesEthiopian nun speaks of widespread horror she and colleagues are seeing on a daily basis inside the heavily isolated region of Tigray‘Bodies are left to be eaten by hyenas; girls as young as eight are being raped’Thousands of women and girls are being targeted by the deliberate tactic of using rape as a weapon in the civil war that has erupted in Ethiopia, according to eyewitnesses.In a rare account from inside the heavily isolated region of Tigray, where communications with the outside world are being deliberately cut off, an Ethiopian nun has spoken of the widespread horror she and her colleagues are seeing on a daily basis since a savage war erupted six months ago. Continue reading...
< Global development, Sexual violence, Ethiopia, Rape and sexual assault, War crimes, Africa, World news, United Nations, Human rights, Law, Society, Women, Life and style, Eritrea, Human rights, Internally displaced people >
- Business Insider 19:01May 12, 2021McConnell says Israel is displaying 'restraint' as the UN warns of 'full-scale war' with dozens of Palestinians already killedMcConnell's statements on Wednesday came as Democratic lawmakers have increasingly criticized Israel over the violence.
< Politics, International, News, Mitch McConnell, Israel, Palestine, Israel-Palestine, United Nations >
- The Guardian 17:50May 12, 2021Israel vows not to stop Gaza attacks until there is ‘complete quiet’Defence minister rules out ceasefire as Israeli military says it has killed four senior Hamas commandersIsrael will not stop its military operation in Gaza until “complete quiet” has been achieved, the country’s defence minister has said, as airstrikes and rocket fire continued throughout Wednesday.The Israeli military said it had killed four senior Hamas commanders and a dozen more Hamas operatives in a series of strikes. It said it had undertaken a “complex and first-of-its-kind operation” jointly with the Shin Bet security service. Continue reading...
< Israel, Palestinian territories, Middle East and North Africa, Hamas, Benjamin Netanyahu, United Nations, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, Gaza, World news >
- The Guardian(UK) 04:10May 12, 2021Israel-Gaza violence: death toll rises to 38 as UN envoy warns over escalationFurther airstrikes and rocket fire reported early on Wednesday in Gaza, Tel Aviv and Beersheba What has caused Jerusalem’s worst violence in years? Israeli jets and Palestinian militants traded fresh airstrikes and rocket fire early on Wednesday as the UN’s Middle East envoy called for a cessation of hostilities, warning: “We’re escalating towards a full-scale war.”The death toll since unrest broke out early on Tuesday rose to 38 – 35 in Gaza and three in Israel – as Israel carried out hundreds of airstrikes in Gaza and Palestinian militant groups fired multiple rocket barrages at Tel Aviv, Beersheba, and other central Israeli cities. Continue reading...
< Israel, Palestinian territories, Middle East and North Africa, United Nations >
- The Guardian 18:09May 9, 2021Libya’s foreign minister pressed to quit after calling for Turks to leaveNajla El-Mangoush subjected to personal abuse after demanding withdrawal of Turkish troops and mercenariesLibya’s first female foreign minister has come under pressure to resign and been subjected to personal abuse seven weeks into the job, after she called for Turkish troops and mercenaries to leave her country.Najla El-Mangoush, a lawyer and human rights activist’ was appointed foreign minister by the country’s interim prime minister, Abdelhamid Dbeibah, after he faced a backlash for backtracking on promises that 30% of ministerial posts would go to women. Continue reading...
< Libya, Africa, Middle East and North Africa, World news, United Nations, Turkey, Russia, Foreign policy, US foreign policy, Europe >
- The Guardian 07:41May 8, 2021China tries to scupper UN talk on plight of UighursBeijing’s mission asks other members not to attend, with Human Rights Watch saying it continues pattern of ‘trying to bully governments into silence’China is trying to convince UN member states to boycott an event planned next week by Germany, the US and Britain on the repression of Uighur Muslims and other minorities in Xinjiang, according to a note seen by Reuters on Friday.China charged that the organisers, who include several other European states along with Australia and Canada, use “human rights issues as a political tool to interfere in China’s internal affairs like Xinjiang, to create division and turbulence and disrupt China’s development”. Continue reading...
< United Nations, Xinjiang, China, World news >
- Business Insider 01:17May 8, 2021Blinken confronts Russia and China at the UN, calling them out for fueling global disorderThe top US diplomat warned China and Russia that Washington would "push back forcefully when we see countries undermine the international order."
< Politics, International, News, antony blinken, China, Russia, United Nations, Joe Biden >
- Breitbart News 17:12May 7, 2021Reports: ACLU Seeks EZPass Through Border for Selected MigrantsThe ACLU is advocating for President Biden to grant U.S. entry to some of the "most vulnerable" migrant families.
< Immigration, Latin America, Politics, ACLU, Alejandro Mayorkas, American Civil Liberties Union, Border Crisis, DHS, U.N., U.S. Department of Homeland Security, United Nations >
- New York Times 20:38May 6, 2021Three Months After Coup, Myanmar Returns to the ‘Bad Old Days’Police are now stopping random people on the streets. A group of secret informers has reappeared. The killings continue, but so does the resistance.
< Defense and Military Forces, Politics and Government, Coups D'Etat and Attempted Coups D'Etat, Desertion (Military), Elections, Interrogations, Civilian Casualties, Prisons and Prisoners, Censorship, Aung San Suu Kyi, Min Aung Hlaing, Kachin Independence Army, Tatmadaw (Myanmar), Telenor Communications SA, United Nations >