- Business Insider 00:10September 21, 2021Democrats' 'bold' new attempt at bipartisan voting rights reform is failing to win over Manchin's GOP alliesSen. Joe Manchin is set on securing bipartisan support for the new bill as the two parties are increasingly occupying different worlds on the matter.
< Politics, Voting Rights, Filibuster, Senate, Compromise >
- New York Magazine 18:29September 15, 2021Surrendering to Republicans on Voting Rights Won’t Save DemocracyJoe Manchin seems to think voting-rights reforms have to be bipartisan to work. But letting Republicans run wild won’t encourage them to compromise.
< politics, voting rights, joe manchin, voter suppression, ned foley, republicans, democrats, john lewis voting rights act, for the people act, voting rights act of 1965, u.s. supreme court, 2022 midterms, vision 2024, kyrsten sinema >
- New York Magazine 16:00September 14, 2021How a Filibuster Reform for Voting Rights Could HappenJoe Manchin and others Democrats could push voting rights reform through the Senate without killing the filibuster — if they want.
< politics, filibuster reform, voting rights, filibuster carve-out, congressional budget act, cloture, reconciliation, joe manchin, kyrsten sinema, joe biden >
- Business Insider 23:55September 13, 2021Sen. Alex Padilla says Democrats will have 'no choice' but to 'revisit' filibuster reform if the GOP blocks a voting-rights compromise bill"I think if we're not successful in getting 10 Republicans to do the right thing, then we have no choice but to revisit the rules of the Senate," he said.
< Politics, Alex Padilla, Voting Rights, For the People Act, Joe Manchin, Dianne Feinstein, Filibuster, filibuster reform, GOP, Senate >
- New York Magazine 19:00September 12, 2021Democrats May Have to Change the Subject From Biden in 2022Midterms are usually a referendum on presidents. But if Biden’s numbers don’t improve, Dems can run against Trump or GOP extremism in its many forms.
< politics, 2022 midterms, donald trump, covid-19, vaccines, anti-vaxxers, joe biden, abortion, voting rights, republicans, democrats, gavin newsom, 2021 california recall election >
- Snopes 21:55September 7, 2021Texas Governor Signs New GOP Voting Restrictions into LawDemocrats spent months protesting what they say are efforts to weaken minority turnout and preserve the GOP's eroding dominance.
< texas, voting rights >
- Business Insider 19:31September 7, 2021How The Supreme Court gave Texas Republicans a boost in defending their controversial new election billElection officials and a slew of civil rights groups just filed the first federal lawsuits against Texas' Senate Bill 1. They face an uphill battle.
< Politics, Texas, Supreme Court, Voting Rights, analysis >
- Business Insider 19:25September 7, 2021Texas Gov. Greg Abbott signs voting legislation that expands early voting hours for most and places new rules on absentee votingThe enactment of Senate Bill 1 marks a defeat for Democrats who staged a weeks-long walkout to break quorum and block the bill from becoming law.
< Politics, Texas, Voting Rights >
- New York Magazine 03:11September 1, 2021Texas Republicans Pass Long-Delayed Voter Suppression BillDemocrats fled the legislature and even the state to thwart a Republican bill aimed at minority voters, but couldn’t stop it forever.
< politics, texas voting law, greg abbott, harris county, carol alvarado, crystal mason, vote suppression, voting rights, texas democrats >
- Business Insider 00:27September 1, 2021Texas Republicans prevail in passing voting legislation that sparked a standoff with their Democratic colleaguesThe passage of Senate Bill 1 marks a defeat for Democrats who staged a weeks-long walkout to break quorum and block the bill from becoming law.
< Politics, Texas, Voting Rights >
- Business Insider 02:00August 29, 2021'Old battles have become new again': Thousands march in Washington, DC, and across the US in push for voting-rights legislationMarchers pushed for lawmakers to pass key bills that have stalled in Congress - the For the People Act and the John Lewis Voting Advancement Act.
< Politics, Voting Rights, March on Washington, For the People Act, John Lewis Voting Rights Act, Al Sharpton, Martin Luther King Jr., Martin Luther King III, Terri Sewell, Mondaire Jones, Filibuster, Washington DC >
- Business Insider 01:56August 26, 2021These members of Congress are keeping the pressure on the Senate over voting rights - even if it means arrestGOP lawmakers across a total of 17 states have passed over 28 bills tightening access to the ballot box, according to the Brennan Center for Justice.
< Politics, Features, Voting Rights, For the People Act, Capitol Hill, Washington DC, Protest, rally, Demonstration >
- New York Magazine 20:30August 25, 2021What Would the John Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act Actually Do?The legislation, which just passed the House again, would slow down state voter-suppression measures. But it is opposed by nearly all Republicans.
< politics, voting rights, joe manchin, john lewis voting rights act, for the people act, filibuster, lisa murkowski, brian fitzpatrick, voting rights act of 1965, pre-clearance requirement, voter suppression, shelby county v. holder, brnovich v. dnc >
- Breitbart News 04:06August 25, 2021House Democrats Pass Federal Takeover of America’s ElectionsHouse Democrats passed legislation Tuesday that would federalize America's electoral system, giving President Joe Biden's Department of Justice (DOJ) significant control over election law.
< Politics, Department of Justice, DOJ, election law, Joe Biden, John Lewis, voting rights >
- The Guardian 02:25August 25, 2021US House passes voting rights bill, restoring critical provision of landmark lawBill that requires places with history of discrimination to be under federal supervision passes 219-212 – but could fail in the SenateThe US House of Representatives has passed an update to the 1965 Voting Rights Act, restoring a critical provision of the landmark civil rights law that requires places with a history of voting discrimination to be under federal supervision.The John Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act passed 219-212 on a party-line vote. Continue reading...
< US voting rights, US politics, Democrats, US Congress, US news >
- Business Insider 02:18August 25, 2021House passes major bill to restore the Voting Rights Act with no Republican supportThe bill named for late Rep. John Lewis takes on the Supreme Court's significant undermining of voting rights protections over the past decade.
< Politics, Congress, Voting Rights, Elections, John Lewis >
- Breitbart News 00:40August 25, 2021America Last: Biden Talks $3.5 Trillion Spending Bill Before Afghanistan CrisisPresident Joe Biden delivered a statement to the nation on the crisis in Afghanistan on Tuesday evening -- but not before talking about his "Build Back Better" agenda.
< Politics, Afghanistan, budget reconciliation, Build Back Better, Joe Biden, John Lewis Voting Rights Act, Taliban >
- Business Insider 00:28August 25, 2021Pennsylvania to end prison gerrymandering, boosting the power of Philadelphia and Democrats' chances in 2022Pennsylvania will no longer consider incarcerated people to be "residents" in the predominantly white, rural counties where state prisons are located.
< News, Politics, Law, Redistricting, Pennsylvania, Elections, Voting Rights >
- Breitbart News 14:00August 24, 2021Exclusive — True The Vote Conducting Massive Clandestine Voter Fraud InvestigationConservative election integrity group True The Vote has been conducting a months-long massive and clandestine voter fraud investigation into the 2020 presidential election, the results of which may soon start coming out, Breitbart News has learned exclusively.
< Politics, Arizona, ballot dropbox, ballot harvesters, Catherine Engelbrecht, election fraud, election integrity, Georgia, HR1, John Lewis Voting Rights Act, Michigan, On the Hill, Pennsylvania, Texas, True the Vote, voter fraud, Wisconsin >
- Business Insider 19:24August 23, 2021Congressional Democrats take a machete to the Supreme Court's election jurisprudence in new voting rights billA bill named for John Lewis would undo Supreme Court decisions weakening the Voting Rights Act, the "crown jewel" of the civil rights movement.
< Politics, Voting, John Lewis Voting Rights Act >
- New York Magazine 01:04August 18, 2021Democrats Update the John Lewis Voting Rights ActDrafted to anticipate and overcome recent Supreme Court decisions, the bill still faces a huge hurdle in passage.
< politics, john lewis voting rights advancement act, terri sewell, shelby county v. holder, brnovich v. dnc, section 2 voting rights act of 1965, section 5 voting rights act of 1965, joe manchin, john roberts, mitch mcconnell, voting rights, lisa murkowski >
- New York Times 04:43August 16, 2021In Zambia Election, Opposition Leader Storms to Decisive Win Over PresidentVoters picked Hakainde Hichilema, a businessman who had lost five previous bids for the job, to take over from Edgar Lungu, who has led the southern African nation since 2015.
< Voting Rights, Registration and Requirements, Elections, Politics and Government, Patriotic Front (Zambia), Hichilema, Hakainde (1962- ), Lungu, Edgar C, Zambia, United Party for National Development >
- Business Insider 00:29August 14, 2021A month after Texas Democrats fled the state to protest the GOP voting restrictions bill, dozens still haven't returned home and it looks like the bill will become law anywayWith the US Senate on August recess, there's very little for Democratic state lawmakers to do in Washington, DC, but they're still there.
< Politics, News, Analysis, analysis, Texas, INSIDER Data, Voting Rights >
- Breitbart News 05:51August 13, 2021Eric Holder: 'Citizens Need to Be in Streets' Getting Arrested over Voting RightsFormer Obama administration Attorney General Eric Holder said Thursday on MSNBC's "The Rachel Maddow Show" that protesters needed to be "in the streets" getting arrested in the political fight over voting laws.
< Clips, Politics, Eric Holder, For the People Act, Rachel Maddow, voting rights >
- New York Magazine 23:55August 11, 2021Raffensperger Struggles to Get Back His MAGA Street CredUnlike Brian Kemp, Raffensperger doesn’t have the political capital or luck in opponents to survive a Trumpian purge with right-wing posturing.
< politics, 2022 midterms, brad raffensperger, non-citizen voting, donald trump, election coup, vision 2020, donald trump, brian kemp, georgia election law, stacey abrams, voting rights, jody hice, david bell isle >
- New York Magazine 17:20August 11, 2021Texas Republicans Issue Arrest Warrants for Dems Who FledThis is probably not going to end well for the Democrats, legislatively speaking.
< voting rights, greg abbott, texas democrats >
- New York Magazine 17:09August 11, 2021One Cheer for the Infrastructure DealIf a bipartisan infrastructure bill was necessary to get 50 Senate Democrats to vote for the reconciliation bill it was worth it — but just barely.
< politics, bipartisan infrastructure bill, fy 2022 budget reconciliation, joe biden, bipartisanship, voting rights, john lewis voting rights act, comprehensive immigration reform, minimum wage increase, joe manchin, kyrsten sinema >
- Business Insider 16:07August 11, 2021Sen. Ted Cruz blocked Senate Democrats' late-night efforts to take up voting and democracy reform bills before August recessSenate Democrats are under pressure to keep voting rights on the agenda ahead of the midterm elections and a high-stakes redistricting cycle.
< Politics, Voting Rights, Congress >
- The Guardian(UK) 04:08August 11, 2021Senate Democrats poised for voting rights push to counter Republican restrictionsSenate expected to reintroduce Democrats’ marquee election reform bill known as the For the People Act before summer recessTop Democrats in the Senate are poised to make another attempt to push through voting rights legislation before the chamber leaves Washington for a summer recess, in a sign of their determination to counter a wave of Republican-led ballot restrictions across the nation. Related: Biden hails Senate passage of giant $1tn bipartisan infrastructure bill Continue reading...
< US voting rights, US Senate, US news, US politics, Democrats, Biden administration >
- Business Insider 00:33August 7, 2021Democrats' voting rights agenda checks off advocates' boxes and they're 'holding out hope' it'll breakthrough the filibuster impasse"Hope springs eternal," a leading House Democrat on voting rights told Insider about garnering bipartisan support to restore the Voting Rights Act.
< Politics, Voting Rights, Congress >
- New York Magazine 16:33August 3, 2021Is Kamala Harris’s Popularity Level a Problem for Democrats?Much of the claim that Harris is deeply and increasingly unpopular doesn’t bear scrutiny, particularly coming from fans of less popular Republicans.
< politics, kamala harris, joe biden, favorability ratings, mike pence, donald trump, dick cheney, barack obama, mitch mcconnell, nancy pelosi, kevin mccarthy, chuck schumer, immigration, voting rights >
- New York Magazine 22:25August 2, 2021State Democrats Should Go Anywhere But D.C. for Voting-Rights LobbyingDemocratic state lawmakers are just reinforcing Republican talking points by running to Washington. How about pressing Sinema on her home turf?
< politics, voting rights, filibuster reform, texas democrats, for the people act, john lewis voting rights act, joe manchin, joe biden, kyrsten cinema, texas democrats >
- New York Magazine 14:00August 2, 2021Will Republicans Gerrymander Their Way to a House Majority?Democratic efforts to thwart the GOP’s redistricting advantage don’t look promising. But there are practical limits to mapmaking mischief.
< politics, 2022 midterms, redistricting, gerrymandering, voting rights, lucy mcbath, independent redistricting commissions, republicans, democrats, carolyn bourdeaux >
- Business Insider 23:02July 30, 2021Congressional Democrats are on a renewed push to act on voting rights with a 'sword and shield' approachTop House Democrat Jim Clyburn told reporters that lawmakers would unveil a long-awaited restoration of the Voting Rights Act by August 6.
< Politics, Congress, Voting Rights, Elections >
- The Guardian 04:06July 30, 2021Sheila Jackson Lee is third Black lawmaker to be arrested during voting rights protestsCongress members Joyce Beatty and Hank Johnson were previously arrested for participating in separate demonstrationsSheila Jackson Lee, a Democratic representative of Texas, was arrested in Washington DC on Thursday while protesting lawmakers’ delay in passing legislation to protect voting rights, becoming the third member of the Congressional Black Caucus to be arrested for civil disobedience in recent weeks. Related: Voting curbs enacted in 18 US states this year despite none finding widespread fraud Continue reading...
< US voting rights, Protest, Texas, Democrats, US politics, US news, Washington DC >
- Business Insider 17:27July 29, 2021Arizona and Michigan election officials plead with Congress for protection against mounting threats and harassment: 'We need your help'"If it weren't for the work of local election officials, none of you would be here in this room," Detroit Clerk Janice Winfrey told lawmakers.
< Politics, Voting Rights, Elections, Election administration >
- New York Magazine 22:21July 26, 2021J.D. Vance: How About We Give Parents Extra Votes?The Senate candidate’s trollish proposal is just the flip side of Republicans’ usual thinking on voter suppression.
< politics, 2022 midterms, voting rights, voter suppression, j.d. vance, 2022 ohio republican senate primary, natalism, mitt romney, conservative christians, nancy pelosi, nancy pelosi, joe biden >
- Business Insider 23:29July 25, 2021Democratic Sen. Mark Warner will support 'small carve-out' on filibuster to pass voting-rights legislation"If we have to do a small carve out on filibuster for voting rights - that is the only area where I'd allow that kind of reform," Warner said.
< Politics, Mark Warner, Voting Rights, For the People Act, John Lewis Voting Rights Act, filibuster reform, Senate >
- New York Magazine 18:00July 24, 2021Democrats Can’t Out-Organize a Gerrymander — or Outflank Joe ManchinVoting rights advocates shouldn’t expect Biden to do the impossible in Congress, while Biden should understand there are laws you cannot out-organize.
< politics, voting rights, joe biden, voter suppression, filibuster, joe manchin, kyrsten sinema, 2022 midterms, republicans, democrats >
- Breitbart News 03:45July 24, 2021Hank Johnson: 'Folks Are Trying to Kill Us' on Voting - Must Confront 'Evil' That 'Is Ready to Choke Us' Unless We Show We'll 'Seize Control'On Friday’s broadcast of MSNBC’s “The ReidOut,” Rep. Hank Johnson (D-GA) stated that “these folks are trying to kill us right now as far as our right to vote. They’re trying to kill our democracy,” and urged people “confront this
< Clips, Politics, Hank Johnson, voting, voting laws, voting rights >
- Business Insider 17:36July 23, 2021White House officials tell civil rights leaders they can 'out-organize voter suppression' as voting rights bills stall: reportThe officials told advocates that they believe it's possible to "out-organize voter suppression," according to a report from the New York Times.
< Politics, Voting Rights, Biden administration, For the People Act, John Lewis Voting Rights Act >
- Business Insider 23:10July 22, 2021Just over half of Americans believe voting is a 'fundamental right' as states pass legislation tightening ballot access, Pew poll showsA new Brennan Center analysis found that 18 GOP-controlled states have passed 30 laws with provisions that tighten voting rules midway through 2021.
< Politics, Voting Rights >
- Business Insider 16:30July 22, 2021Biden says eliminating the filibuster would 'throw the entire Congress into chaos' and 'nothing will get done'Biden has frustrated voting rights advocates with his hesitancy to push for changes to the Senate filibuster while decrying restrictive election laws.
< Politics, President Joe Biden, Filibuster, Voting Rights >
- New York Magazine 07:20July 19, 2021Democratic Lawmakers Flee Texas to Stop GOP Crackdown on VotingFive of the state representatives have tested positive for the coronavirus.
< politics, democratic party, republican party, texas, voting rights >
- The Guardian 01:35July 17, 2021Arizona counties find fewer than 200 possible voter fraud cases among 3m 2020 ballotsFindings undermine Trump’s claims after Biden beat him by more than 10,000 votes in stateArizona county election officials have identified fewer than 200 cases of potential voter fraud out of more than 3m ballots cast in last year’s presidential election, undercutting Donald Trump’s claims of a stolen election as his allies continue a disputed ballot review in the state’s most populous county.The 182 cases identified by the Associated Press represent instances where problems were clear enough that officials referred them for further review. So far, only four cases have led to charges, including those identified in a separate state investigation. No one has been convicted. No vote was counted twice. Continue reading...
< Arizona, US voting rights, US news, US elections 2020, US politics >
- Breitbart News 00:30July 17, 2021Democrat Joyce Beatty Draws Comparison Between Her Arrest and Martin Luther King Jr.'sRep. Joyce Beatty (D-OH), who was arrested in the Hart Senate Office Building by Capitol Police this week after she led a protest into the building, drew a comparison between her arrest and the arrest of civil rights icon Martin Luther King Jr.
< Politics, Congressional Black Caucus, Hart Senate Office Building, Joyce Beatty, Martin Luther King Jr., voting rights >
- Business Insider 00:33July 16, 2021Capitol police arrested Rep. Joyce Beatty as she led a demonstration to advocate for voting rightsBeatty, who serves as chair of the Congressional Black Caucus, urged lawmakers to pass legislation to expand voting rights.
< Politics, Joyce Beatty, John Lewis Voting Rights Act, For the People Act, Voting Rights >
- The Guardian(UK) 23:29July 15, 2021Democratic congresswoman arrested during voting rights protest at CapitolJoyce Beatty, chair of Congressional Black Caucus, was calling on the Senate to pass a key election reform billCongresswoman Joyce Beatty, a Democrat of Ohio, was arrested during a voting rights protest at the Capitol this afternoon.Beatty, who serves as the chair of the Congressional Black Caucus, shared a photo on Twitter of US Capitol police officers putting a zip-tie on her and escorting her out of the building. Continue reading...
< US voting rights, US news, US Congress, House of Representatives, US Senate, Protest, US politics >
- Business Insider 21:02July 14, 2021Texas Democrats' voting rights walkout is part of a storied history of lawmakers hiding out in garages and crossing state lines to block legislationThe lawmakers are part of a historic tradition in Texas that also played out in 1979 and 2003, but they face higher odds to achieve their goals.
< Politics, Texas, Voting Rights >
- Business Insider 19:28July 14, 2021McConnell criticizes Texas Democrats for staging a walkout, saying they've come 'to snap selfies and bask in the limelight'They "decided to grab some beer, hop on a private plane and flee the state in what they are pretending is some great moral crusade," McConnell said.
< Politics, News, Mitch McConnell, Texas, Democrats, Greg Abbott, Voting, Voting Rights, Tucker Carlson, Fox news, Kamala Harris, Congress >