- Business Insider 17:33May 21, 2022'Casanova Scammer' faces jail for defrauding more than 30 women of $1.3 million on dating appsBrian Wedgeworth posed as a doctor for nearly five years, promising women on dating apps that he would help pay off their debts.
< News, Technology, Weekend BI UK, Tinder Swindler, Casanova Scammer, Hinge, Scam, Fraud >
- Business Insider 16:24May 21, 2022Top Twitter exec says Elon Musk's approach to his takeover has created a 'chaos tax' for the companyJay Sullivan, Twitter's new head of product, said he expected the upheaval caused by Musk's rocky takeover bid to continue.
< News, Technology, Weekend BI UK, Musk, Twitter, Parag Agrawal, Takeover, Twitter takeover >
- Business Insider 15:46May 21, 2022Jair Bolsonaro, who's accused of trying to silence critics on Twitter, calls Musk's buyout a 'breath of hope'Brazilian president has been accused of trying to silence those who criticize or disagree with him and positioned himself as a free-speech champion.
< International, News, Weekend BI UK, Jair Bolsonaro, Brazil, Elon Musk, Amazon Rainforest, SpaceX, Tesla >
- Business Insider 15:13May 21, 2022Shanghai is finally lifting its lockdown after 7 weeks. The global economy has yet to feel its full impact, experts warn.The lockdown shuttered factories across the city and caused delays at ports. The ripple effects are being felt by Starbucks, Apple, and more.
< Transportation, News, Features, Supply Chain, Shanghai, Lockdown, Transportation, Transportation & Logistics, Shipping, shipping companies, Starbucks, Amazon, Tesla, COVID-19, Weekend BI UK >
- Business Insider 14:09May 21, 2022Ethereum cofounder Vitalik Buterin says he's no longer a billionaireCrypto has crashed in recent weeks, wiping billions from the fortunes of the market's most prominent entrepreneurs and evangelists.
< Personal Finance, News, Weekend BI UK, crypto, cryptocurrency, TerraUSD, Luna coin, Bitcoin, Vitalik Buterin, Billionaire >
- Business Insider 12:55May 21, 2022Elon Musk jokes about letting YouTube cofounder Chad Hurley touch his 'wiener' amid sexual misconduct claimsMusk has been accused of sexual misconduct by a SpaceX flight attendant, which reportedly happened in 2016 when he was dating Amber Heard.
< Tech Insider, News, Weekend BI UK, YouTube, Elon Musk, Chad Hurley, SpaceX, Tesla, Sexual Misconduct >
- Business Insider 12:42May 21, 2022A union leader representing 50,000 flight attendants says they're 'not just another accessory on Musk's little rocket'An Insider investigation found that SpaceX paid a flight attendant $250,000 to settle a sexual misconduct claim against Elon Musk in 2018.
< Transportation, Weekend BI UK, Elon Musk, SpaceX, Union, Flight attendant >
- Business Insider 11:49May 21, 2022Elon Musk called out Twitter over 2016 Hillary Clinton tweet linking the Trump Organization to a Russian bank"That tweet is a Clinton campaign hoax for which their campaign lawyer is undergoing a criminal trial," Musk tweeted.
< Technology, Weekend BI UK, Musk, Elon Musk, Twitter, Clinton, Russia >
- Business Insider 11:25May 21, 2022Elon Musk is recruiting 'hardcore streetfighters' for a new Tesla 'litigation department'Musk has been accused of sexual misconduct against a former SpaceX flight attendant and the company reportedly paid $250,000 for her silence.
< Tech Insider, News, Weekend BI UK, Elon Musk, Tesla, SpaceX, Amber Heard, Sexual Misconduct, NDA >
- Business Insider 11:00May 21, 2022Trips that offer a 'human connection' will replace typical business travel as workers spread across the US — but graduates could be marginalized, experts say"Business travel is an obvious human need. I know that people need this human connection," Avi Meier, CEO of TravelPerk, told Insider.
< Transportation, Careers, BI Graphics, Savanna Durr, Weekend BI UK, Travel, Business Travel >
- Business Insider 11:00May 21, 2022A dinosaur skeleton that was only half-real sold at Christie's for $12 million. Paleontologists say it's part of a huge inflation problem driven by invisible, ultra-rich buyers."These fossils literally disappear into the collection of some nameless uber-rich person," said paleontologist Steve Brusatte.
< Retail, Science, dinosaurs, Deinonychus, T. rex, Christie's, Paleontology, Weekend BI UK, Vicky Leta, BI Graphics >
- Business Insider 10:45May 21, 2022I drove a Ferrari that costs $1,500 a day to hire from a luxury car rental service. I felt like a celebrity.Starr Luxury Cars has a selection of cars from Ferrari and Lamborghini to Rolls Royce and Jaguar. Driving a Ferrari made me feel like another person.
< Transportation, Features, Weekend BI UK, transport, Cars, Motoring, Startups >
- Business Insider 10:00May 21, 2022I tried a vegan filet mignon. It's delicious – but fancy plant-based protein is still too pricey for most.Juicy Marbles makes what it says is the world's first plant-based filet mignon, made from soy protein and marbled like real steak.
< Retail, News, Features, Vegan, vegan food, Food, Weekend BI UK, plant-based meat >
- Business Insider 10:00May 21, 2022I spent 17 months working remotely during the pandemic. Now I'm back in the office and love my job againI started a new job in August 2020. It wasn't until January 2022 that I finally moved to London and went to the office for the first time.
< Careers, Employees, Work, Jobs, WFH, Working From Home, work from home, blog, Weekend BI UK >
- Business Insider 10:00May 21, 2022Luxury powerhouse LVMH doesn't plan to stop selling fur anytime soon. Its owner's son explains why.LVMH is experimenting with lab-grown fur fibres but its brands, including Louis Vuitton and Fendi, still sell products made with real fur.
< Retail, News, LVMH, Bernard Arnault, Financial Times, Retail, luxury retail, Luxury, Fur, Fur industry, Weekend BI UK >
- Business Insider 18:16May 15, 2022A startup that operates a buy-now, pay-later model for healthcare bills is hoping to drive the uptake of psychological careCEO Roshan Patel told Insider the company was realising huge growth as the pandemic left more people with poor mental health.
< Startups, Healthcare, Weekend BI UK, Startups, Healthcare, Medical, Obamacare, Venture Capital >
- Business Insider 17:48May 15, 2022California fishermen and fish processors received a $230 million settlement after devastating 2015 oil spill"This settlement should serve as a reminder that pollution just can't be a cost of doing business," attorney Matthew Preusch told Associated Press.
< Energy, News, Weekend BI UK, Oil, Exxon Mobil, Wildlife, lawsuit, Damages >
- Business Insider 17:35May 15, 2022MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell wants to file lawsuits in all 50 states to keep pushing election fraud claimsLindell is a major GOP donor, who has repeatedly supported Trump's claims challenging the integrity of the 2020 election.
< News, Weekend BI UK, Mike Lindell, Donald Trump, Election 2020, Voting, Fraud >
- Business Insider 17:31May 15, 2022The impact of Russia's invasion of Ukraine on food and energy supplies will be long-lasting, experts sayAs the war in Ukraine rages on, Western countries are being forced to reckon with their reliance on Russian imports.
< Energy, Politics, Weekend BI UK, Russia, Ukraine, Oligarchs, Roman Abramovich, Sanctions, European Union, Silovarchs, global supply chain, Food supply, economic activity, Money transfer >
- Business Insider 17:27May 15, 2022Jasmine Pearls Tea, Iced Hibiscus, and Cookies & Cream Frappuccino – I tried these UK Starbucks drinks that don't feature on US menusStarbucks in the UK has a larger selection of herbal teas but the US is home to more iced coffees.
< Retail, Life, Features, Starbucks, Cafes, Coffee, Tea, Food and beverage, beverage, Drinks, London, UK, Weekend BI UK >
- Business Insider 14:08May 15, 2022'I'll lose $500,000 a year thanks to YouTube's Russian ad ban,' says this YouTuber who is scrambling to shift his followers onto social platforms not hit by Western sanctionsYouTube's monetization ban on Russian content has forced some streamers to Russian platforms but most of their subscribers haven't followed.
< News, Creators, YouTube, Russia, BI Graphics, Shayanne Gal, Weekend BI UK, Influencer, Digital Culture >
- Business Insider 13:46May 15, 2022A Russian billionaire acted as a 'straw owner' to hide true owner of $1 billion worth of superyachts, including one linked to Vladimir Putin, court filings sayEduard Khudainatov is the former president of Rosneft and US officials believe him to be a "straw owner" to hide the owners' true identity.
< Transportation, International, News, Weekend BI UK, Russia, Ukraine, Superyachts, Superyacht, Vladimir Putin, Suleiman Kerimov >
- Business Insider 13:10May 15, 2022Goldman Sachs bosses can take unlimited vacation, leaked memo saysThe "flexible" holiday scheme removes a cap on the amount of time off for senior staff at the investment bank.
< News, Careers, Weekend BI UK, Goldman Sachs, Holiday, Vacation, Burnout >
- Business Insider 12:43May 15, 2022A museum may breach sanctions if it returns a Fabergé Egg to its Russian oligarch owner, a report saysAcquired by oligarch Viktor Vekselberg, the bejeweled ornament is on loan to the Victoria and Albert museum in London.
< International, News, Weekend BI UK, Ukraine, Russia, Viktor Vekselberg, Vladimir Putin, Victoria and Albert Museum, Faberge, Egg, Fabergé Egg >
- Business Insider 11:59May 15, 2022The EU is drafting a plan to pay for Russian gas without violating sanctions, insiders sayNew guidance could allow gas importers to open a state-owned Gazprombank account and pay in euros or dollars, which would then be converted to rubles.
< News, Energy, Weekend BI UK, Russia, EU, Gas, Ursula von der Leyen, Energy, Sanctions >
- Business Insider 11:34May 15, 2022Portugal has frozen Roman Abramovich's $10 million property he tried to sell before the invasion, report saysA shell company tried to sell the property the oligarch's behalf, but a bank flagged the move to authorities.
< Real Estate, News, Weekend BI UK, Roman Abramovich, Russia, Ukraine, Portugal, sanctions evasion, Property, Vladimir Putin >
- Business Insider 11:30May 15, 2022Photos show what it's like to shop at Aldi rival Lidl, from cluttered aisles to own-label products that look just like big brandsLidl has around 11,500 stores worldwide. The store I visited was cluttered, with products in the wrong places and empty crates littering the aisles.
< Retail, News, Features, Lidl, Retail, Aldi, Grocery, Grocery Store, Supermarket, Weekend BI UK >
- Business Insider 18:16May 14, 2022Oligarch Alisher Usmanov likes waiters to open champagne bottles with swords at a luxury getaway known as his 'special place,' a report saysUsmanov was reportedly staying in a Bavarian town when he was added to the EU's sanctions list in February and hopped on his private jet hours later.
< International, News, Weekend BI UK, Alisher Usmanov, Russia, Ukraine, sanctions evasion, Sanctions, Oligarchs, lavish, Germany >
- Business Insider 15:15May 14, 2022Former Treasury secretary Larry Summers branded Biden's price-gouging bill 'dangerous', comparing it to Trump's claims 'bleach injections' could treat Covid-19"The price-gouging stuff is to economic science what President Trump's remarks about disinfectant in your veins was to medical science," Summers said.
< Politics, Economy, Weekend BI UK, Biden, Inflation, Gas Prices, Trump, Economics >
- Business Insider 15:14May 14, 2022The Oppenheim twins from 'Selling Sunset' built a $2 billion empire and a hit Netflix show — here's their advice for getting the best deal on a home and how 'perception' can add valueJason and Brett Oppenheim told Insider they almost always buy poorly presented homes, and focus on how a property feels before they buy.
< Real Estate, Entertainment, Weekend BI UK, Real Estate, Negotiate, Housing Bubble, Home Buyers >
- Business Insider 14:33May 14, 2022The US Treasury unveiled a raft of new sanctions targeting Russian oligarchs, citing their role in the Ukraine invasionThe Treasury outlined its action plan to increase transparency in the US financial system and strengthen anti-money laundering measures.
< Finance, News, Weekend BI UK, Ukraine, Russia, oligarch, Oligarchs, Money Laundering, Sanctions, sanctions evasion >
- Business Insider 13:51May 14, 2022New York officials ban airports from charging up to $28 for a beer — a price tag that they described as 'totally indefensible'The Port Authority Office of the Inspector General capped airport beers at "street prices," plus 10%, after a photo last July showed a $28 price tag.
< Transportation, Retail, News, Weekend BI UK, Airport, LaGuardia, Beer, Samuel Adams, Port Authority of New York and New Jersey >
- Business Insider 12:33May 14, 2022Boeing submitted incomplete documents for its grounded $12.5 billion 787 Dreamliner jets, authorities saySources at the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) told Reuters noted a number of omissions in documents submitted for approval of 787 jets.
< News, Transportation, Weekend BI UK, Boeing, Planes, FAA, transport, Virgin Atlantic >
- Business Insider 12:12May 14, 2022Putin's hockey pal and Russia's richest man Vladimir Potanin has been 'snapping up banks for cheap' amid an exodus of Western ownersThe oligarch has not been hit by sanctions from the US, UK, or EU due to his importance in the global metal markets.
< Finance, News, Weekend BI UK, Ukraine, Russia, Vladimir Putin, Vladimir Potanin, Oligarchs, Sanctions, Banks >
- Business Insider 11:55May 14, 2022Russia's largest shipping company is selling ships to buyers in Dubai and Singapore to repay its debts to western banks, a report saysA Sunday deadline for companies in the EU to cease business with Russia has pushed Sovcomflot to find ways to repay its debts to western banks.
< Transportation, News, Weekend BI UK, Russia, Ukraine, Shipping, shipping companies, EU, Sanctions >
- Business Insider 11:45May 14, 2022Sanctioned Russian oligarchs may resort to payment systems like those used by terrorists, experts sayHawala is an informal payment system used legitimately by migrant workers but has been linked to financing for the 9/11 attacks.
< Politics, Finance, News, Weekend BI UK, Hawala, Russia, Ukraine, Middle East, Terrorism, sanctions evasion >
- Business Insider 11:00May 14, 2022The evolution of the Apple iPod, from the 'scroll wheel' to the Shuffle, Nano, and TouchSince its release in 2001, Apple kept reinventing its revolutionary music player with the Shuffle, Nano and Touch.
< Technology, Retail, Features, Apple, Technology, iPod, iPod Nano, iPod Shuffle, iPod Touch, Steve Jobs, Weekend BI UK >
- Business Insider 17:55May 8, 2022Sanctioned oligarchs' use of the Hawala payment system is a desperate move but not necessarily illegal, experts sayRussian oligarchs appeared to have anticipated sanctions by moving money through an informal payment system known as Hawala.
< Politics, News, Weekend BI UK, Hawala, Money transfer, Ukraine, Russia, Oligarchs, sanctions evasion, KleptoCapture, Tax Evasion >
- Business Insider 15:42May 8, 2022Russia's space agency chief said the country could destroy NATO countries in 'half an hour' during a nuclear warDmitry Rogozin, who leads Roscomos, has previously made provocative and sometimes outlandish claims, amid the Ukraine war.
< Politics, News, Weekend BI UK, Ukraine, Russia, Roscosmos, Dmitry Rogozin, Vladimir Putin, Space >
- Business Insider 14:11May 8, 2022Joe Biden's new proposal to sell off seized assets belonging to sanctioned oligarchs seems unattainable, experts saySince Russia invaded Ukraine, an EU taskforce has been busy snagging more than $30 billion in boats, helicopters, real estate, and artwork.
< Politics, Transportation, Weekend BI UK, Russia, Ukraine, russian oligarchs, Assets, Yachts, united states, Sanctions, weekend BI US >
- Business Insider 13:58May 8, 2022SpaceX's president predicts people will reach Mars before the end of the 2020s and land on the moon soonerElon Musk previously predicted that people would be on Mars within the next decade but engineering issues posed a challenge.
< Tech Insider, News, Weekend BI UK, SpaceX, Elon Musk, Gwynne Shotwell, Mars, Moon, Starbase, Starship >
- Business Insider 12:11May 8, 2022Ukraine minister calls for immediate Russian energy embargo to make it harder for Putin to fund his militaryPresident Joe Biden announced in early March the US would ban Russian energy imports. Meanwhile, the EU has proposed a ban on Russian oil imports.
< Energy, News, Weekend BI UK, Ukraine, Russia, Oil ban, Oil embargo, european comission, Ursula von der Leyen, oil imports >
- Business Insider 12:02May 8, 2022Coca-Cola opened its first European store in London, featuring a mocktail bar and $250 branded sneakers – take a lookThe pop-up store is open for five months and sells limited edition items including replica Coke bottlers' uniforms and themed mocktails.
< Retail, Life, Features, Retail, News, Coca-Cola, Sprite, Fanta, Apparel, Soda, Drinks, London, Destinations, Weekend BI UK >
- Business Insider 11:30May 8, 2022Russia is playing whack-a-mole as it repeatedly blocks niche parts of the internet spreading information about Ukraine, including a pet grooming site, a scary story blog, and a sudoku siteA pet grooming site, a scary story blog, and a sudoku site are among sites blocked to stop information about Ukraine getting through to Russians.
< Tech Insider, News, Military & Defense, Ukraine, Russia, Censorship, splinternet, Invasion, Activism, Internet, Weekend BI UK, BI Graphics, Rachel Mendelson >
- Business Insider 11:00May 8, 2022How two Michelin-starred chefs founded a thriving gelato brand by creating a frozen treat that can be enjoyed all year roundThe boss of Hackney Gelato told Insider his sweet treats are more of a dessert than ice cream, setting his brand apart from competitors.
< Strategy, Weekend BI UK, Gelato, Ice cream, Retail, Dessert, Small Business, business owner, Food, Strategy >
- Business Insider 17:58May 7, 2022Millions of Californians could experience blackouts this summer due to energy shortage, Governor's office warnsCalifornia Governor Gavin Newsom and state officials said an adverse weather event would leave the state short of thousands of megawatts of energy.
< News, Energy, Weekend BI UK, Fire, Energy, Renewable Energies, California >
- Business Insider 16:38May 7, 2022The FBI found crucial evidence aboard a $325 million superyacht seized in Fiji, which incriminated its oligarch owner Suleiman Kerimov, a report saysKerimov's yacht was seized Thursday by Fijian authorities at the United States' request, with the help of the FBI and the KleptoCapture taskforce.
< Transportation, News, Weekend BI UK, Suleiman Kerimov, Russia, Ukraine, Sanctions, sanctions evasion, Invasion, Oligarchs >
- Business Insider 15:11May 7, 2022Elon Musk wants to hire thousands of new employees at Twitter, shed some existing staffers, and quintuple revenue by 2028, report saysIn meetings with investors, Musk shared his plans for the social media platform including doubling or tripling their money if they backed his deal.
< Tech Insider, News, Weekend BI UK, Elon Musk, Twitter, Tesla, SpaceX >
- Business Insider 14:08May 7, 2022Biden seeks to pass $10 billion COVID-19 bill to prevent a potential wave of 100 million infections in the fallA White House official told The Washington Post in a background briefing the US could have 100 million new COVID infections over the coming fall.
< News, Economy, Politics, Weekend BI UK, News, Biden, COVID, Congress, Health >
- Business Insider 13:23May 7, 2022These luxury yachts are priced from $2.5 million and feature en-suite master bedrooms, bathing decks, and 'mini beach clubs' — take a look onboardThe three Sunseeker models vary in size and price. The Sport Yacht is the least expensive at $2.5 million, while a larger vessel can reach $4 million.
< Transportation, Life, Features, Boats, Yachts, Megayacht, Transportation, Floating home, Toys, Weekend BI UK >