- New York Times 10:00October 19, 2021These U.S. Veterans Won't Rest Until They've Kept a Promise to AfghansAn informal network that includes former government and military officials is working around the clock to fulfill a pledge to save Afghans who put their lives on the line for America.
< United States Defense and Military Forces, Afghanistan War (2001- ), Veterans, Politics and Government, United States Marine Corps >
- Huffington Post UK 07:00October 19, 2021The Comfort And Joy Of Making Afghan Food
< Life, Family, Food, wellbeing, Food and Drink, cooking, Afghanistan, family, food, food-and-drink, afghanistan >
- Breitbart News 02:27October 19, 2021Report: Rampant Domestic Abuse by Afghan Men at U.S. Bases Prompts Deployment of 'Gender Advisors'Domestic abuse has become such an issue among Afghans brought to the United States, and temporarily living at various U.S. military bases, that "gender and protection advisors" are being deployed to help with the problem.
< Immigration, Politics, Afghanistan, Afghans, Domestic Abuse, Fort McCoy, Joe Biden, legal immigration, mass immigration, refugee resettlement, refugees, U.S. military, Wisconsin >
- Breitbart News 02:22October 19, 2021State Department Inspector General Will Investigate President Biden's Botched Afghanistan PulloutDiana Shaw, acting inspector general for the State Department, has launched a series of investigations into the Afghanistan withdrawal.
< Asia, Politics, Afghanistan, Antony Blinken, Inspector General, Joe Biden, State Department >
- Breitbart News 00:50October 17, 2021Poll: Joe Biden's Job Approval Hits New Low at 36 PercentPresident Joe Biden's job approval continues to crash with a new low of 36.4 percent during the first nine months of his presidency, according to a Zogby poll, after facing a botched Afghanistan withdrawal, and more recently, a supply chain crisis.
< Politics, Afghanistan, job approval, Joe Biden, poll, supply chain >
- Business Insider 18:39October 16, 2021Desperate Afghan parents are selling their kids to pay off debt as poverty levels deepen following Taliban takeover"If life continues to be this awful, I will kill my children and myself," one Afghan woman told the Wall Street Journal.
< International, News, Afghanistan, Taliban, Taliban Takeover, Children, Poverty, weekend BI US >
- Business Insider 16:14October 16, 2021Marjorie Taylor Greene has Zoom call silenced after irrelevant' impeachment testimony during hearing of Lt. Col. Stuart SchellerGeorgia Rep. Greene used her testimony on behalf of Lt. Col Scheller to call for the impeachment of President Biden, which the judge ruled as irrelevant.
< Politics, Military & Defense, UK Weekend, Marjorie Taylor Greene, Afghanistan, Impeachment, Marines >
- The Guardian 06:44October 16, 2021US offers payments, relocation to family of Afghans killed in botched drone attackPentagon says it is also working to relocate any of those relatives to the US, almost two months after Kabul strikeThe Pentagon has offered unspecified condolence payments to the family of 10 civilians who were killed in a botched US drone attack in Afghanistan in August during the final days before American troops withdrew from the country.The US defence department said it made a commitment that included offering “ex-gratia condolence payments”, in addition to working with the US state department in support of the family members who were interested in relocation to the United States. Continue reading...
< Afghanistan, South and Central Asia, US news >
- Business Insider 06:42October 16, 2021US says it will pay the family of the 10 Afghans killed in a failed drone strike and help them relocate to USThe 10 Afghans, including seven children, were killed in error by a US drone strike on August 29 during the US troop withdrawal.
< Military & Defense, Politics, Afghanistan, Drone strike, Pentagon, Kabul, Afghanistan withdrawal >
- The Guardian 12:49October 15, 2021‘Heavy casualties’ as explosion hits Shia mosque in AfghanistanLarge blast rips through building in southern city of Kandahar during Friday prayersA large explosion tore through a Shia mosque in the southern Afghan city of Kandahar during Friday prayers, causing heavy casualties, a spokesperson for the Taliban government’s interior ministry said.Qari Saeed Khosti said authorities were collecting details of the explosion, which took place days after Islamic State claimed a bombing at a Shia mosque in the northern city of Kunduz that killed scores of people. Continue reading...
< Afghanistan, South and Central Asia, Taliban, World news >
- Business Insider 01:08October 15, 2021The real reason European countries are upset about the US's withdrawal from AfghanistanThe 2015 migrant crisis pushed the EU to its limits, and it now appears to be preparing to prevent a repeat after the US withdrawal from Afghanistan.
< Military & Defense, International, Nordic, Afghanistan, Afghanistan withdrawal, Syrian Civil War, Syrian Refugee Crisis, Syrian refugees, European Migration Crisis, european migrants, Migration Crisis, Refugee Crisis, analysis, News Contributor, Mildef freelance >
- Breitbart News 19:59October 14, 2021Congressman Unveils Bill that Would Give States Power to Veto Refugee ResettlementA plan by Rep. Matt Rosendale (R-MT) would strip President Joe Biden's authority to resettle hundreds of thousands of refugees across the United States with no input from Congress or American communities.
< Immigration, Politics, Afghanistan, Afghans, Joe Biden, legal immigration, mass immigration, Matt Rosendale, refugee resettlement, refugees >
- Business Insider 15:39October 14, 202120 years of fighting terrorism took a heavy toll but has helped prepare for a bigger fight, US special operators sayIn Afghanistan and Iraq, US special operators "were at the tip of the spear, and we fought relentlessly," a retired Delta Force operator told Insider.
< Military & Defense, International, US Special Operations Command, US special operations, Army Special Forces, Army Rangers, Delta Force, Navy Seals, Afghanistan, Iraq, War on Terror, News Contributor, Mildef freelance >
- The Guardian 10:00October 14, 2021Afghan refugees accuse Turkey of violent illegal pushbacksMigrants, many fleeing the Taliban regime, claim they are being beaten, harassed and turned back by Turkish border forcesAs the sun sets over a dusty ravine on the outskirts of Van city in eastern Turkey, Muhammdullah Sangeen and dozens of other Afghans are preparing for another night sleeping rough.The 22-year-old, who has a bruised left eye and fresh cuts all over his arms, arrived from Iran a few days earlier with the help of smugglers. “I am not OK,” said Sangeen, his legs trembling. “I’m not feeling human.” Continue reading...
< Global development, Afghanistan, Refugees, South and Central Asia, Iran, Turkey, United Nations, World news, Migration >
- The Guardian(UK) 20:39October 13, 2021Afghan refugee stabbed to death in London in front of schoolchildrenHazrat Wali, 18, who came to UK two years ago, attacked near sports field where children were playing rugbyA teenage Afghan refugee was stabbed to death on a sports field in south-west London in front of schoolchildren playing rugby.The victim, named by the Evening Standard as 18-year-old Hazrat Wali, was attacked at about 4.45pm on Tuesday on Craneford Way, Twickenham, yards away from Richmond Upon Thames college, which he attended. Continue reading...
< UK news, Afghanistan, Refugees, London >
- Business Insider 15:37October 13, 2021US Marine who slammed the Afghanistan withdrawal in viral video plans to plead guilty, lawyers sayLt. Col. Stuart Scheller is hoping to avoid jail time and receive a discharge that would let him keep some military perks, per The Washington Post.
< Military & Defense, News UK, Afghanistan, US Marine, Marine >
- Business Insider 12:49October 13, 2021Inside the gargantuan civilian effort to get remaining Americans out of Taliban-controlled AfghanistanProject Dynamo is still evacuating Americans and US visa holders out of Afghanistan even after Western militaries have all withdrawn from the country.
< Military & Defense, Politics, UK News, Afghanistan, Taliban, Refugees >
- Time 06:18October 13, 2021With a Humanitarian Crisis Looming, the G20 Demands Aid Access to Afghanistan as the E.U. Pledges CashThere are concerns that an already precarious humanitarian situation will grow catastrophic over the winter
< Uncategorized, Afghanistan, overnight, wire >
- New York Times 20:09October 12, 2021E.U. Plans $1.15 Billion in Aid to Stabilize Afghanistan Region“We need to do it fast,” a European leader declared, announcing an aid package for Afghanistan and its neighbors.
< Afghanistan, European Union, Humanitarian Aid, Refugees and Displaced Persons, von der Leyen, Ursula, Taliban >
- Business Insider 19:43October 12, 2021H.R. McMaster once skewered an army colonel for suggesting Afghans were 'inherently more corrupt' than Americans, according to a new bookRep. Adam Schiff wrote that General McMaster made the remarks to the colonel in front of him during a trip to Kabul before Trump became president.
< Politics, Mcmaster, National Security Advisor, H.R. McMaster, Afghan, Afghanistan, Afghanistan War >
- The Guardian 11:24October 12, 2021Afghanistan ‘at make-or-break point’ says UN as G20 ministers meetLeaders will discuss UN proposal to channel funds to Afghanistan to ease growing humanitarian catastropheG20 leaders and ministers will meet by video-conference on Tuesday to discuss a United Nations proposal to channel funds to Afghanistan to ease its worsening humanitarian catastrophe.It will be the first time the world’s richest nations have met to discuss the consequences of the US withdrawal from Afghanistan and the Taliban takeover on 15 August. Afghanistan was 75%-dependent on foreign aid before the takeover, and funds held overseas have been frozen by the US. Continue reading...
< Afghanistan, South and Central Asia, World news, G20, Italy, Europe, Russia, China >
- Time 05:57October 12, 2021Afghanistan Faces a ‘Make-or-Break Moment,’ U.N. Chief Says"With assets frozen and development aid paused, the economy is breaking down,” Antonio Guterres told reporters
< Uncategorized, Afghanistan, overnight, wire >
- Breitbart News 03:37October 12, 2021Joe Biden Flying 1K Afghans to U.S. Every Day Until German Base EmptiedPresident Joe Biden's administration is reportedly flying about 1,000 Afghans to the United States every day from the U.S. Air Force base in Ramstein, Germany, until the base is emptied.
< Asia, Immigration, Politics, Afghanistan, Afghans, Joe Biden, legal immigration, mass immigration, refugee resettlement, refugees >
- Business Insider 19:46October 11, 2021An Afghan interpreter who helped to rescue Joe Biden during an emergency in 2008 has escaped the country: reportKhalili was part of a team that helped to rescue then-Sen. Biden, along with Sens. John Kerry and Chuck Hagel, during a 2008 helicopter transport.
< News, International, Speed desk, Breaking, Afghanistan, Biden >
- Breitbart News 18:06October 11, 2021Gabbard: ‘The American People Are Being Lied to’ by the Biden AdministrationFormer Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-HI) said Saturday on Fox News Channel's "Justice" that the Biden administration is lying to the American people about the border crisis and the chaotic Afghanistan withdrawal.
< Clips, Politics, Afghanistan, coronavirus, Jeanine Pirro, Joe Biden, Tulsi Gabbard, U.S.-Mexico border >
- Time 07:09October 11, 2021The U.S. and the Taliban Discuss Security and Terrorism Concerns in DohaIt's their first direct talks since the chaotic U.S. withdrawal from Afghanistan in August
< Uncategorized, Afghanistan, overnight, wire >
- The Guardian 05:35October 11, 2021US to give humanitarian aid to Afghanistan, Taliban sayUS says it discussed aid in talks in Doha but Taliban say deal agreed that stops short of formal recognition of new rulersThe United States has agreed to provide humanitarian aid to a desperately poor Afghanistan on the brink of an economic disaster, but refused to give political recognition to the country’s new rulers, the Taliban said on Sunday.The statement came at the end of the first direct talks between the former foes since the chaotic withdrawal of US troops at the end of August. Continue reading...
< Taliban, Afghanistan, World news, Islamic State, South and Central Asia, US foreign policy >
- Business Insider 19:29October 10, 2021Photos show homeless heroin addicts in Afghanistan rounded up and forced into grim rehab by the TalibanHomeless heroin users were rounded up by Taliban fighters and taken to the Avicenna Medical Hospital for Drug Treatment on the outskirts of Kabul.
< UK News, UK Weekend News, drug addiction, Kabul, Afghanistan, Taliban >
- The Guardian 09:00October 10, 2021Biden administration delivers brusque message to PakistanWith relations frosty over Taliban victory and Pakistani repression, deputy secretary of state visits for ‘specific and narrow purpose’A senior US official visiting Islamabad has made clear to Pakistan that the Biden administration has downgraded the bilateral relationship.On the eve of her arrival, the deputy secretary of state, Wendy Sherman, used a public event in Mumbai to lay out in blunt terms the new parameters of US-Pakistan relations, stressing there would be no equivalence with Washington’s deepening ties to India. Continue reading...
< Pakistan, US foreign policy, South and Central Asia, World news, Imran Khan, US news, Afghanistan, Taliban, India >
- Breitbart News 06:32October 10, 2021Trump Blasts Gen. Milley at Save America Rally for Abandoning Military Equipment in AfghanistanFormer President Donald J. Trump blasted General Mark Milley for the abandoned military equipment in Afghanistan at the Save America Rally on October 9, in Des Moines, Iowa.
< Asia, Midterm Election, Politics, Afghanistan, Donald Trump, Joe Biden, Mark Milley, Military Equipment >
- Breitbart News 00:44October 10, 2021Clinton, Bush, Obama, Biden Working Closely to Resettle Afghans Across U.S.A non-governmental organization (NGO) backed by former Presidents Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, and Barack Obama, as well as First Ladies Hillary Clinton, Laura Bush, and Michelle Obama, is working closely with President Joe Biden to resettle tens of thousands of Afghans across the United States.
< Immigration, Politics, Afghanistan, Afghans, Barack Obama, Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, Joe Biden, legal immigration, mass immigration, refugee resettlement, refugees >
- Business Insider 21:26October 9, 2021The Taliban says it will not cooperate with the US to weed out the Islamic State from Afghanistan"We are able to tackle Daesh independently," a Taliban spokesperson told the AP, using an Arabic acronym for the Islamic State.
< International, Military & Defense, News, Taliban, Islamic State, extremists, Afghanistan >
- New York Times 19:12October 9, 2021‘I Never Believed That Would Happen’: After 20 Years of War, an Abrupt EndAmid the uncertainty that lies ahead under a Taliban-controlled government, Afghans reflect on the final months of fighting.
< Afghanistan War (2001- ), United States Defense and Military Forces, Taliban, Afghanistan >
- Time 17:08October 9, 2021Taliban Say They Won’t Work With U.S. to Contain Islamic StateIS has carried out relentless assaults on the country’s Shiite Muslims since emerging in eastern Afghanistan in 2014
< Uncategorized, Afghanistan, wire >
- Business Insider 16:02October 9, 2021Afghans are still trying to escape their country and find new homes, but as the world's attention turns elsewhere, the money is drying upAgencies are working day and night to get Afghans resettled. Just because the media has moved on doesn't mean the crisis is over.
< Opinion, Politics, Nordic, News, Military & Defense, Opinion, Afghanistan, Foreign Policy, Refugees, Immigration, NGOs, BI Commentary, Commentary Freelancer >
- Modern Tokyo Times 12:36October 9, 2021Shia Muslims killed inside a mosque in Afghanistan by a Uighur terroristShia Muslims killed inside a mosque in Afghanistan by a Uighur terrorist Murad Makhmudov and Lee Jay Walker Modern Tokyo Times Another devastating terrorist attack against Shia Muslims occurred in the city of Kunduz in Afghanistan. The current death toll isn’t fully known. However, the BBC reports that at least 50 people have been killed. […]
The post Shia Muslims killed inside a mosque in Afghanistan by a Uighur terrorist first appeared on Modern Tokyo Times.
< Asia, China, Geopolitics, Religious Persecution, Terrorism, ISIS Takfiris, Japan news agency, Modern Tokyo News, Modern Tokyo Times, Muslim terrorists from China, Muslim terrorists from Xinjiang, Persecution in Panjshir, Persecution of the Shia, Shia Mosque attacked in Afghanistan, Shia Muslims killed in Kunduz mosque, sunni islamic jihad, sunni islamic zealots, Takfiri terrorism, Takfiris kill the Shia, Taliban and ISIS, Taliban and ISKP, Tokyo news, Tokyo news agency, Uighur Muslim kills the Shia, Uighur Muslim terrorism >
- The Guardian 10:48October 9, 2021US to hold talks with Taliban over easing evacuationsFocus of talks in Qatar will be allowing foreigners and at-risk Afghans to leave Afghanistan, says US officialUS officials will meet senior Taliban figures this weekend for talks aimed at easing the evacuation of foreign citizens and at-risk Afghans from Afghanistan, a US official said.The focus of talks on Saturday and Sunday in Doha, Qatar, would be holding Afghanistan’s Taliban leaders to commitments that they would allow Americans and other foreign nationals to leave, along with Afghans who once worked for the US military or government and other Afghan allies, the official said. Continue reading...
< Afghanistan, World news, US news, Taliban, Qatar >
- Breitbart News 04:20October 9, 2021Malliotakis: China Is Aggressive Towards Taiwan 'Because They See What Occurred in Afghanistan'On Friday’s broadcast of the Fox Business Network’s “Mornings with Maria,” Rep. Nicole Malliotakis (R-NY) stated that China’s increased aggression towards Taiwan is “because they see what occurred in Afghanistan and that the Biden administration is incredibly weak at this time.”
< Asia, Clips, Politics, Afghanistan, China, Nicole Malliotakis, Taiwan >
- Business Insider 18:11October 8, 2021A bomb detonated at a packed mosque in northern Afghanistan and killed or wounded at least 100 peopleThough there was no immediate claim of responsibility, the country's Islamic State faction has a history of attacking members of the Shiite minority.
< News, International, Military & Defense, Speed desk, Breaking, Afghanistan, Taliban, Explosion, Death, Injuries >
- The Guardian 16:30October 8, 2021Shia mosque bombing kills dozens in Afghan city of KunduzNo immediate claim of responsibility for blast, which occurred during Friday prayersAt least 50 people have been killed in a bomb attack on a Shia mosque in the Afghan city of Kunduz, in the bloodiest assault since US forces left the country. Scores more victims from the minority community were wounded in the blast, which has not been claimed but appears designed to further destabilise Afghanistan after the Taliban takeover. Continue reading...
< Afghanistan, South and Central Asia, World news >
- New York Times 14:53October 8, 2021Lethal Blast Strikes Shiite Mosque in Northern AfghanistanThere was no immediate claim of responsibility. But the Islamic State frequently targets Shiite Muslims in Afghanistan, focusing on the Hazara ethnic minority.
< Terrorism, Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS), Taliban, Kunduz (Afghanistan), Muslims and Islam, Mosques, Afghanistan >
- Business Insider 22:04October 7, 2021The CIA smuggled people through a secret gate at the Kabul airport in the desperate final hours of evacuation, Wall Street Journal reportsThe report said that the gate was "used to smuggle out priority cases for the CIA, including intelligence assets, local agents, and their families."
< Military & Defense, Politics, Speed desk, Afghanistan, CIA >
- Business Insider 22:00October 7, 2021Refugee group sues Antony Blinken, alleging State Department forced father to leave his children behind in AfghanistanAn Afghan father waited years for the US government to process his application for a Special Immigrant Visa, the lawsuit says. It never happened.
< Law, International, Politics, Afghanistan, Special Immigrant Visas, State Department, Immigration, Refugees, Taliban >
- New York Times 21:04October 7, 2021The Afghan War: A Photographer’s Journal Since 2001The Times photographer Tyler Hicks, who chronicled the 20-year war, captured American troops in battle, the deaths of civilians, schoolgirls in class and the struggles of ordinary Afghans to survive.
< Afghanistan War (2001- ), Photography, News and News Media, Northern Alliance, Taliban, Afghanistan, Hicks, Tyler, New York Times, Korengal Valley (Afghanistan), Bagram Air Base (Afghanistan) >
- Breitbart News 16:08October 7, 2021Joe Biden Failing on Major U.S. Crises While Pushing Stalled Multitrillion-Dollar Spending AgendaPresident Joe Biden continues pressing for his multitrillion-dollar domestic agenda, which has stalled in Congress, but has failed to personally address crises growing in the United States.
< Politics, Afghanistan, China, coronavirus, Gas Prices, Jen Psaki, Joe Biden, Taiwan >
- Breaking Defense 15:34October 7, 2021US Conduct In Afghanistan Requires A 9/11 Commission-Style ReviewThe terrorist attack that killed nearly 3,000 Americans and set the US on a course for war in Afghanistan also prompted a formal commission to deeply examine how the US government allowed the attack to happen. Twenty years later, retired Brig. Gen. James Scott O’Meara argues in this op-ed that a similar commission is crucial…
< Congress, Pentagon, 911, 911 Commission, afghanistan, op-ed. op-eds. commentary, policy, Taliban >
- Business Insider 14:00October 7, 2021The Taliban are helping remaining US citizens evacuate from Kabul because 'they don't want Americans in their country anyway,' activist saysAn activist with Project Dynamo, a civilian-run group helping with ongoing Kabul evacuations, told Insider the Taliban have posed no problems.
< Military & Defense, News, News UK, Afghanistan, Kabul >
- Breitbart News 04:38October 7, 2021Report: Biden Turns Fort McCoy into 'Small City' for Afghans with 'Culturally Appropriate Clothing, Food'President Joe Biden's administration has turned Fort McCoy in Monroe County, Wisconsin, into a "small city" for Afghans brought to the United States, including "culturally appropriate clothing and food," a new report details.
< Immigration, Politics, Afghanistan, Afghans, Fort McCoy, Joe Biden, mass immigration, refugee resettlement, refugees, Wisconsin >
- Breitbart News 02:54October 7, 2021Kabul Airport Bomber Was Released from Prison Abandoned by BidenThree U.S. officials on Wednesday confirmed the suicide bomber who killed 13 American servicemembers plus at least 169 Afghans at the Kabul airport on August 26 was released from prison by the Taliban eleven days earlier.
< Asia, National Security, Afghanistan, bagram, ISIS-K, Joe Biden, suicide bomber, Taliban >
- Breitbart News 02:37October 7, 2021Biden Restarts Flying Afghans to Pennsylvania After Measles Outbreak on U.S. BasesPresident Joe Biden has restarted flying thousands of Afghans to the United States, through the Philadelphia International Airport in Pennsylvania, after flights had been halted due to a measles outbreak by Afghans on multiple U.S. military bases.
< Health, Immigration, Politics, Afghanistan, Afghans, Joe Biden, Measles, Pennsylvania, refugee resettlement, refugees, United States >