- Business Insider 00:49May 12, 2021GOP-led states are cutting $300 weekly federal unemployment benefits. Here's the 9 states doing so this summer.Several Republican-governed states are ending Biden stimulus jobless aid months before they legally expire in September. More might join them.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Policy, Republicans, Democrats, enhanced unemployment insurance, Unemployment benefits, Biden stimulus, Joe Biden, Economy, Jobs, Back to work bonus, Hiring bonus, Employment, Tennessee, Montana, South Carolina, Mississippi, Arkansas, Alabama, Missouri, Doug Burgum, Asa Hutchinson, Henry McMaster, Tate Reeves, Mike Parson, Greg Gianforte, Kim Reynolds, kay ivey >
- Business Insider 00:04May 11, 2021Some GOP states are moving to end federal unemployment benefits, which could impact at least 276,000 workersRepublican-governed states moving to end federal benefits two months early could affect hundreds of thousands, an unemployment expert told Insider.
< Economy, Markets, Politics, Economy, Unemployment, Unemployment aid, Unemployment benefits, labor shortage, Policy, Greg Gianforte, Montana, Indiana, South Carolina, Arkansas, Henry McMaster, American Rescue Plan, Joe Biden >
- New York Magazine 19:00May 4, 2021Whatever Happened to ‘the Clinton Kid’?The curious reappearance of the man at the heart of a mostly forgotten conspiracy theory.
< politics, bill clinton, arkansas, roger stone >
- Business Insider 16:32April 18, 2021The recent slew of anti-trans bills shows the GOP brand is built on blocking progress and keeping marginalized people downThe GOP brand stands for standing against other Americans. The new law out of Arkansas is the latest attack on American's civil rights.
< Opinion, Politics, News, Trans Rights, Arkansas, Republican Party, GOP, BI Commentary, Opinion >
- Business Insider 20:28April 11, 2021Arkansas Gov. Hutchinson says debate over the anti-trans bill he vetoed is about 'the future' of the GOPHutchinson was targeted by his own party for vetoing the bill, including by former President Donald Trump who called him a "lightweight RINO."
< Politics, News, Arkansas, Out Insider, Asa Hutchinson, Transgender >
- Business Insider 19:49April 7, 2021Arkansas faces a trans exodus after passing 3 anti-trans bills in 3 weeksNow that 19 states have taken up similar bills, one trans woman said there could be "a lot of places to run from."
< News, Politics, News-freelancer, Trans, Arkansas, Politics, LGBTQ, LGBT rights >
- The Guardian 03:06April 7, 2021Arkansas is first state to ban gender-affirming treatments for trans youthLawmakers overrode the governor’s veto despite criticism that the measure would harm an already vulnerable communityArkansas has become the first state to ban gender-affirming treatments and surgery for transgender youth, after lawmakers overrode the governor’s objections to enact the ban on Tuesday.The state’s governor, Asa Hutchinson, had vetoed the bill on Monday following pleas from pediatricians, social workers and the parents of trans youth who said the measure would harm a community already at risk for depression and suicide. The ban was opposed by several medical and child welfare groups, including the American Academy of Pediatrics. Continue reading...
< Transgender, Arkansas, US news >
- Business Insider 01:40April 7, 2021The meeting with two trans women that might have helped convince the Arkansas governor to oppose the anti-trans billBefore he tried to stop Arkansas' anti-trans bill, Governor Asa Hutchinson sat down with the state's only openly trans elected official, she said.
< News, Politics, News-freelancer, Trans, Arkansas, politcs, Gender >
- Breitbart News 01:07April 7, 2021Arkansas Lawmakers Override Governor's Veto to Ban Transgender Drugs, Surgeries for MinorsThe Arkansas legislature voted to override Gov. Hutchinson on a bill that will block minors from receiving transgender drugs and surgeries.
< Health, Politics, Social Justice, Arkansas, Asa Hutchinson, cross-sex hormones, Gender Transition, minors, override, puberty blockers, Transgender, transgender youth >
- Business Insider 21:39April 6, 2021Arkansas House overrides Gov. Hutchinson's veto of the state anti-trans bill that would ban treatment for trans youthGov. Asa Hutchinson vetoed the bill after saying its measures blocking health care coverage for trans youth were "overboard" and "extreme."
< Speed, Arkansas, Transgender, Hutchinson >
- Guardian 09:00April 1, 2021Minari review – a Korean family sows seeds of hope in ArkansasInfused with a wonderful sentimentality, Lee Isaac Chung’s fictionalised account of his rural US childhood explores the growing pains of a family farmMinari is an east Asian herb, sometimes called water dropwort or water celery, grown in the wild and treasured by connoisseurs, a little like samphire grass in England. Its appearance in this movie is a sign of something mysterious and providential, an indication of good things coming from the soil.This is a wonderfully absorbing and moving family drama with a buttery, sunlit streak of sentimentality. Writer-director Lee Isaac Chung based it on his childhood growing up on a farm in Arkansas in the 1980s. Minari already has the look of a well-loved classic, whose every scene feels familiar and loved, and it has an amazing way of recreating childhood. Watching it, I remembered for the first time in decades what it was like as a kid to sit in the back of a hot, stationary car in those days before air-conditioning, waiting for your mum and dad with the sun beating down, maybe a wisp of wind through the open window, and the hot plastic seats sticking to your bare legs.Steven Yeun gives a piercingly intelligent performance as Jacob, a Korean incomer to the United States in the Reagan era; he and his wife, Monica (Han Ye-ri), and their two kids, elder daughter Anne (Noel Cho) and little son David (Alan S Kim), have arrived in Arkansas from California, where Jacob had been making a joyless but reliable factory wage in chicken hatcheries. Jacob has a big dream: he will farm the land here, and get rich growing real Korean vegetables for the many Korean immigrants in the US yearning for a taste of home. But Monica is already disappointed with this new, hard life he has given them. Han plays her brilliantly, as proud and self-contained as an exiled princess. Continue reading...
< Film, Drama films, Arkansas, South Korea, Period and historical films, Culture, US immigration >
- Breitbart News 23:55March 30, 2021Sophia Bush Says Arkansas Law Banning Minors from Sex-Change Operations Is 'Tantamount to Murder'Actress Sophia Bush has blasted Arkansas' new law banning minors from receiving sex-change operations, puberty blockers, and other life-altering medical procedures, saying the legislation is "tantamount to murder."
< Entertainment, Social Justice, Sports, Arkansas, Asa Hutchinson, Sophia Bush >
- Business Insider 22:00March 30, 2021Arkansas becomes the latest state to lift its mask mandate, Gov. Asa Hutchinson announcesArkansas' mask mandate is set to expire at the end of March and it will not be renewed for April the governor said.
< Politics, Science, Arkansas, Speed, mask mandate, coronavirus >
- Business Insider 01:14March 30, 2021Arkansas becomes first state to pass bill prohibiting doctors from providing gender-affirming medical care to trans youthThe state Senate voted 28-7 in favor of the bill Monday; the state House previously passed a version. It now goes to the governor for signature.
< Politics, News, Transgender, Trans, Arkansas, Asa Hutchinson, Breaking >
- Business Insider 17:12March 27, 2021Arkansas governor's new 'medical conscience objections' law could result in LGBTQ+ people being refused treatment, human rights group saysGov. Asa Hutchinson signed legislation on Friday that allows doctors to refuse to treat patients because of religious or moral objections.
< News, Healthcare, Politics, Asa Hutchinson, Arkansas, Healthcare, LGBT, LGBT rights, LGBTQ discrimination, state laws, UK Weekend, News UK >
- Breitbart News 20:10March 26, 2021Arkansas Joins Idaho and Mississippi in Preserving Women’s Sports for WomenArkansas became the third state in the nation Thursday to protect girls’ and women's sports from males claiming to identify as females.
< Politics, Social Justice, Sports, Alliance Defending Freedom, American Principles Project, Arkansas, biological sex, Equality Act, Fairness in Women's Sports Act, gender identity, gender ideology, Idaho, Mississippi, North Carolina, Save Women's Sports, Transgender Sports, War on Women, women's sports >
- Business Insider 23:24March 21, 2021Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson calls COVID-19 vaccine skepticism among Trump supporters 'a natural resistance to government'"We'll get the 50 percent vaccination rate of the population, but we're going to have a harder time getting from 50 percent to 70 percent," he said.
< Politics, COVID-19 vaccine, Donald Trump, Asa Hutchinson, Arkansas, coronavirus pandemic, mask mandate, conservative base >
- Business Insider 22:10March 21, 2021Arkansas GOP governor said the near-total ban on abortion he signed is designed to land before the Supreme Court to overturn Roe v. Wade"This is a direct challenge to Roe v. Wade," Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson said of the near-total ban. "And that's the intent of the legislation."
< Politics, News, Abortion, Asa Hutchinson, Arkansas, Roe v Wade >
- Huffington Post UK 12:00March 10, 2021Arkansas Governor Signs Into Law A Near-Total Abortion Ban
< News, Politics, Health, Politics and Government, government, Abortion, Supreme Court of the United States, Medical Specialties and Services, OBGYN, Pregnancy Termination Services, Anti-abortion movement, Arkansas, health, politics-and-government, abortion, supreme-court-of-the-united-states, medical-specialties-and-services, obgyn, pregnancy-termination-services, anti-abortion-movement, arkansas >
- Breitbart News 02:48March 4, 2021Arkansas Considers Removing Mask Mandate in MarchArkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson (R), who lifted most COVID-19 restrictions put in place on businesses in his state last week, has reaffirmed that he is committed to ending a statewide mask mandate should hospitalizations and the number of reported cases continue to fall.
< Health, Politics, Arkansas, Asa Hutchinson, coronavirus, COVID-19, Face Masks, Jose Romero >
- Breitbart News 05:41February 25, 2021Arkansas AG Wants Law to Protect Women from Competing in Sports Against Biological Males Arkansas is crafting legislation to protect female athletes from competing against biological men who claim to be transgender women.
< Politics, Science, Sports, Arkansas, athletes, Joe Biden, sports, Title IX, Transgender >
- Business Insider 18:48February 20, 2021An Arkansas lawmaker who is ditching the GOP said Trump's attempt to 'overturn the results of a fair and free election' was the 'final straw'State Senator Hendren said that he witnessed GOP leadership "too often taking a backseat rather than leading" in response to Trump's actions.
< Politics, News, Arkansas, Donald Trump, Capitol Siege >
- Business Insider 21:31February 16, 20219 governors asked President Biden to fix 'unnecessary confusion' created by the CDC's vaccine reportingThe CDC's tracker doesn't reflect various vaccine rollout programs that the states don't have a say in, the governors said.
< Healthcare, News, Politics, CDC, COVID-19, coronavirus vaccine, President Joe Biden, New York, Massachusetts, Arkansas, Maryland, Alabama, Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Michigan, Governor Cuomo, Gretchen Whitmer, Charlie Baker, Doug Ducey, Jared Polis, Michelle Lujan Grisham, kay ivey, Larry Hogan >
- Business Insider 18:50January 27, 2021Sarah Huckabee Sanders bets Trump's culture wars will help make her Arkansas' next governor"Without Trump, she would not be able to be in this position, to be a force in national politics," one Democratic strategist told Insider.
< Politics, News, Sarah Huckabee Sanders, President Donald Trump, Arkansas, governor, White House >
- The Guardian 06:27January 25, 2021Sarah Sanders, former Trump press secretary, to run for Arkansas governor – reportsA formal announcement is expected on Monday as the 38-year-old bids to succeed her father, Mike Huckabee, in the state leadership roleSarah Sanders, Donald Trump’s former chief spokeswoman and one of his closest aides, is running for Arkansas governor, according to multiple reports.Sanders, who left the White House in 2019 to return to her home state, planned to announce her bid on Monday, according to Associated Press and Reuters, citing anonymous sources. Continue reading...
< US politics, US news, Arkansas, Donald Trump >
- Business Insider 05:38January 25, 2021Sarah Huckabee Sanders, Trump's former press secretary, is running for governor of ArkansasSanders plans to make a video announcement of her candidacy on Monday.
< Politics, Sarah Huckabee Sanders, Arkansas, governor, Elections, Press Secretary >
- New York Magazine 05:20January 25, 2021Sarah Huckabee Sanders to Announce Run for Arkansas Governor: ReportWhile the position of White House press secretary isn’t often used as a platform for higher office, Sanders has been long expected to run in 2022.
< arkansas, politics, sarah huckabee sanders, 2022 midterms >