- Business Insider 16:42September 21, 2021Climate disaster turned these millennials into 'forever renters': 'Being flexible is the new American dream'Samuel Naujokas said wildfires made him rethink his idea of success. "Maybe there's something wrong with" the value we give homeownership, he said.
< Real Estate, Economy, Sustainability, Climate Change, Climate, Real Estate, Homeowner, Homeownership, Rent, Renters, Homeowners, Wildfires, Wildfire, BI-freelancer, Contributor 2021, contributor 2019, Business News Contributor >
- Business Insider 16:35September 21, 2021This startup's $18,000 electric car only has one seat. Its CEO told us why he thinks buyers will eat it up.As the world slowly switches from gas power to electric cars, EV startup ElectraMeccanica also asks us to rethink how many passengers we really need.
< Transportation, Tech Insider, Electric, electric vehicle, EV, EVs, EV cars, BI-freelancer, Contributor 2021, contributor 2019, Business News Contributor >
- Business Insider 15:51September 20, 2021I can't get vaccinated because of an immigration loophole. I feel invisible - and constantly worry about falling seriously unwell or infecting others.Brexit forced Brits in EU countries like Portugal to get new paperwork. Mairead Finlay describes how bureaucracy has left her without a COVID vaccine.
< Healthcare, COVID, Portugal, vaccination, COVID-19, Freelancer UK, contributor 2019, Contributor, Contributor 2020, Contributor 2021 >
- Business Insider 15:52September 18, 2021TikTok is turning decade-old books into bestsellers for the first time as it inspires a reading renaissance"Many authors I follow say their sales have never been as high as they are now, thanks to BookTok," user Sydney Blanchard told Insider.
< Retail, Media, Retail, Book, Books, TikTok, BI-freelancer, contributor 2019, Contributor 2020, Contributor 2021, Business News Contributor >
- Business Insider 17:26September 15, 2021I'm an army veteran whose puppy eased my PTSD. Now I own a dog-training school - here's what my job is like.Dave Shade didn't have money to send his foster dogs to training, so he learned how. It was the start of a new career: his own puppy-training school.
< Careers, Small Business, dog training, Pets, Dogs, Puppies, Puppy, Careers, Small Business, BI-freelancer, contributor 2019, Contributor 2021, Business News Contributor >
- Business Insider 17:01September 14, 2021Paralympians describe barriers they face finding 9-to-5 jobs after the games, from stigmas to 'pigeonholing'"The Paralympic Games have so much more recognition than they ever have," three-time Paralympian Karolina Wisniewska told Insider.
< Sports, Careers, Strategy, Sports, Paralympians, Paralympic Games, Paralympics, Careers, Jobs, Athletes, Athletics, BI-freelancer, contributor 2019, Contributor 2021, Business News Contributor >
- Business Insider 17:45September 13, 2021I'm a freelancer living feast or famine to survive on US healthcare - and I'm scared of what comes nextPeople used to think the US would become a free-agent nation. But current US healthcare significantly limits our ability to reach the American dream.
< Opinion, Strategy, Careers, Nordic, Freelance, Freelance income, Freelance Jobs, Freelance writer, freelance writing, Writer, Writing, contributor 2019, Contributor 2021, Career, Careers, BI-freelancer, Business News Contributor, Opinion >
- Business Insider 16:19September 10, 2021When COVID-19 shut Broadway down, digital theater filled the gap - and many think it's here to stayDigital theater will likely continue to thrive after COVID-19. "Certain opportunities are more convenient online," Broadway actor Salisha Thomas said.
< Entertainment, Theater, Broadway, Plays, contributor 2019, Contributor 2021, BI-freelancer, Business News Contributor >
- Business Insider 18:12September 8, 2021How a New Orleans bar crawled out of Hurricane Ida with a Bluetooth speaker, a power generator, and $1 beersThe owners of Pepp's Pub estimate they lost $30,000 in Hurricane Ida. They told Insider about the last night before the storm and the bar's reopening.
< Small Business, Hurricane Ida, New Orleans, Small Business, Bar, Bars, Pubs, Louisiana, contributor 2019, Contributor 2021, Business News Contributor, BI-freelancer, Fast Food >
- Business Insider 17:25September 8, 2021I'm a Louisiana nurse whose hospital was inundated by Hurricane Ida and COVID-19. This is what it was like.A Louisiana nurse said their hospital wasn't only overwhelmed by Hurricane Ida and COVID-19, but also people trying to use A/C and charge phones.
< Healthcare, Hurricane Ida, Hurricane, Hurricanes, Hospital, COVID-19, Nurses, BI-freelancer, contributor 2019, Contributor 2021, Business News Contributor >
- Business Insider 16:11September 8, 2021I just got a Pfizer booster shot. I felt dizzy, but the side effects were way milder than the first 2 doses.Emyle Watkins recently got a third dose of the Pfizer vaccine. While she was initially nervous, she thinks it'll make her feel safer in the long run.
< Healthcare, COVID, COVID-19, booster shot, pfizer vaccine, Pfizer, covid vaccine side effects, covid vaccine, COVID-19 vaccine, BI-freelancer, contributor 2019, Contributor 2021, Business News Contributor >
- Business Insider 16:04September 7, 20215 simple ways to honor and improve your mental health, according to a psychotherapistPsychotherapist Amy Morin says mental health practices, like planning a fun activity or using relaxation strategies, are important to include in your routine.
< Strategy, Careers, Nordic, Amy Morin, Mental Health, Wellness, Advice, BI-freelancer, contributor 2019, Health >
- Business Insider 18:52September 3, 2021A small school district made national news defying Texas' ban on mask mandates. Its leaders don't regret it.Paris ISD went against Texas Gov. Greg Abbott and made masks part of its dress code. The decision was "obvious," the district's lawyer told Insider.
< Education, Politics, Texas, Greg Abbott, COVID-19, mask mandate, mask mandates, school, School Districts, BI-freelancer, contributor 2019, Contributor 2021, Business News Contributor >
- Business Insider 18:33September 3, 2021Review: The $36,000 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid isn't just wildly practical - it's also a masterclass in styleWith around 50 mpg combined and a $28,000 base price, the 2021 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid is a great deal - and it doesn't compromise looks to achieve it.
< Transportation, Hyundai Sonata, Hyundai, Hybrid, Hybrid Cars, hybrid car, BIReviews, Car Review, car reviews, Contributor 2021, contributor 2019, Business News Contributor >
- Business Insider 19:15September 2, 2021Driving the $47,000 Acura TLX sedan reminded me that all you really need in a car is a bright-red interiorOn every model but its $160,000 NSX sports car, Acura offers the A-Spec sport-appearance package with an optional red interior. It's incredible.
< Transportation, car reviews, Car Review, Acura, acura tlx, a-spec, BIReviews, Car, Business News Contributor, contributor 2019, Contributor 2021, original contributor >
- Business Insider 17:28September 2, 2021The rise of remote jobs is huge for deaf applicants like me - but dated hiring formats are holding us backIn a world where masks make lipreading impossible, remote work is a beacon for deaf job candidates like me. But I struggle to get past the interview.
< Careers, Nordic, Strategy, Careers, Unemployment, Job Interviews, interviews, Deaf, Deafness, BI-freelancer, contributor 2019, Contributor 2021, Business News Contributor, Personal Essay, Personal Essays >
- Business Insider 17:21September 2, 2021I'm a California teacher, and my school's lacking COVID-19 protocols show how we're being set up to failTeachers aren't just teachers anymore. We provide social, emotional, and academic support to increasingly traumatized kids while risking our safety.
< Opinion, Education, Teaching, teacher, Teachers, COVID, COVID-19, Schools, school, BI-freelancer, contributor 2019, Contributor 2021, Business News Contributor, Opinion >
- Business Insider 19:01September 1, 2021Why realtors warn against writing 'personal letters' to home sellers - and what they recommend insteadThe US housing market is hot right now, meaning buyers want to stand out. But realtors say writing letters to sellers can create a lot of problems.
< Real Estate, Nordic, Real Estate, Real Estate Advice, home buyer, Home Buyers, Home buying, Housing Market, BI-freelancer, contributor 2019, Contributor 2021, Business News Contributor >
- Business Insider 18:22September 1, 2021The biggest barrier to electric cars isn't tech - it's making public chargers feel safer and more accessiblePublic car charging isn't up to snuff. But companies like Chargepoint, Electrify America, and Blink - plus California - are working on improving it.
< Transportation, BITranspo, EV charging, EV charging station, ChargePoint, Electrify America, Blink Charging, California, EVs, autos, original contributor, contributor 2019, Contributor 2021, Business News Contributor >
- Business Insider 16:40September 1, 2021Review: The $360,000 McLaren 720S Spider isn't just an incredible car - it makes you feel like a kid againThe McLaren 720S Spider starts at $315,000 and climbs from there. As with many cars of its kind, it's everything you'd ever dreamed of and more.
< Transportation, Life, McLaren, McLaren 720S, BIReviews, Car Review, car reviews, supercar, Supercars, Contributor 2021, contributor 2019, Business News Contributor >
- Business Insider 14:00August 29, 2021I'm a Yale grad who charges students up to $85,000 a year for college prep - here's what it takes to get into the top schools"The families we work with spend $250,000 to maintain their boat for a single season, so investing in their children's future for a fraction of that cost is a no-brainer."
< Careers, Education, Nordic, job diary, College, college admissions, college advice, Yale, Ivy League, BI-freelancer, contributor 2019, Education, Students >
- Business Insider 18:27August 27, 2021We rode in an apocalypse-ready SUV created by one of the world's richest men - here's what it was likeThe Ineos Grenadier is expected to come to the United States in 2023. We got to ride in it across the English countryside and came away impressed.
< Transportation, Transportation, Off-roading, SUVs, SUV, BI-freelancer, contributor 2019, Contributor 2021, Business News Contributor >
- Business Insider 17:22August 26, 2021Restaurants from NYC to small-town Texas are shifting to plant-based menus - and customers can't get enoughWhile some restaurants just tried to survive the COVID-19 pandemic, others used the time to trade meat and dairy for fully plant-based menus.
< Retail, Small Business, Sustainability, Nordic, Vegan, vegan food, Vegetarian, plant-based, Plant-Based Foods, BI-freelancer, contributor 2019, Contributor 2021, Business News Contributor >
- Business Insider 17:33August 25, 2021I'm a professional 'Hamilton' actor. This is what Broadway's 18-month shutdown - and return - has been like.Fergie L. Philippe made ends meet during Broadway's shutdown, but now he's headed back. "I'm scared I'm going to forget my lines," he told Insider.
< Careers, Entertainment, Broadway, Hamilton, Theater, contributor 2019, Contributor 2021, BI-freelancer, Business News Contributor >
- Business Insider 17:53August 24, 2021I convinced my vaccine-hesitant boyfriend to get the COVID-19 shot - here's howMy boyfriend didn't plan to get the COVID-19 shot due to a bad reaction to the meningitis vaccine as a kid. It took time to convince him, but I did.
< Healthcare, COVID-19, COVID-19 vaccine, covid vaccine, Vaccine, vaccine hesitancy, contributor 2019, Contributor 2021, Business News Contributor, BI-freelancer >
- Business Insider 16:36August 23, 2021I'm a nutritionist in the Hamptons. My days go from negotiating with personal chefs to being sent very personal photos - here's what it's like.Charlotte LaGuardia prefers to work with clients who want to improve their overall lifestyle - not do a quick cleanse before a big event.
< Careers, Nordic, Strategy, Life, job diary, contributor 2019, Laura Casado, The Hamptons, UHNWI, Nutrition, Health, health coach, Wellness, BI-freelancer, Contributor 2021 >
- Business Insider 14:01August 22, 2021I stayed at luxury treehouse resorts in 4 different states. My favorite perk was the outdoor hot tubs - here's what they were likeJessica Kelly says one treehouse in Connecticut had an outdoor terrace, a steam room, a double fireplace, and a spacious jacuzzi tub.
< Travel, Real Estate, Life, Travel, Vacation, AirBnB, hotel, resorts, Treehouse, Luxury, BI-freelancer, contributor 2019, Contributor 2021 >
- Business Insider 13:45August 21, 2021A real estate CEO appraises the home ownership inequality problem in the US - and how to fix it"The number one thing that businesses can do (to support affordable housing) is support higher taxes," says Redfin CEO Glenn Kelman.
< Opinion, Economy, Nordic, Real Estate, Opinion, Pitchfork Economics, Paul Constant, Housing, Inequality, Homeownership, affordable housing, original contributor, contributor 2019, Laura Casado, Contributor 2021 >
- Business Insider 15:33August 20, 2021I quit my 10-year career as a bank manager when I felt the 'real me' slipping away. Becoming an entrepreneur saved me."I knew I was on a slippery slope of falling away from who I was and who I wanted to be," says entrepreneur and former bank manager Rahkim Sabree.
< Strategy, Nordic, Careers, Careers, Work, Jobs, original contributor, contributor 2019, Laura Casado, Contributor 2021 >
- Business Insider 14:00August 19, 2021How to stop your dread of networking from hurting your career and start using it to your advantageA simple mindset shift can help people who dislike employee events and happy-hours get back in the game and make stronger connections.
< Strategy, Nordic, Kellogg Insight, Networking, Connections, Professionals, Happy Hour, Contacts, Promotion, Opportunity, Contributor, contributor 2019, Lauryn Haas >
- Business Insider 15:00August 18, 2021An epidemiologist describes what schools need to do in order to reopen safely this fallBrandon Guthrie says in many situations students can safely return to school in person, as long as layered prevention measures are followed.
< Strategy, Nordic, The Conversation, Contributor, COVID-19, Schools, Vaccines, reopening schools, Education, Children, Safety, contributor 2019, Lauryn Haas, Opinion >
- Business Insider 21:39August 17, 2021A philosophy professor breaks down why the US has a moral responsibility for the tragedy unfolding in AfghanistanThe US withdrawal from Afghanistan, although supported when first announced by President Biden, will come at heavy costs for the Afghan people.
< Military & Defense Contributors, Nordic, Opinion, The Conversation, Kabul, Afghanistan, Morality, Joe Biden, President Biden, Taliban, Violence, Women's Rights, Contributor, contributor 2019, Lauryn Haas, War, Opinion >
- Business Insider 18:52August 17, 2021How a nonprofit is working with retail giants like Whole Foods to ditch toxic 'forever chemicals' in products and packagingThe Mind the Store campaign has found that competitors tend to follow suit in banning PFAS in their packaging once one brand is on board.
< Sustainability, Nordic, Retail, BI-freelancer, Sustainability, contributor 2019, Lauryn Haas, Partners for a Sustainable Future, Chemicals, Biodegradable, biodegradable packaging, PFAS, basf-plastics, Edit Series >
- Business Insider 17:21August 17, 2021I'm a landlord with 24 properties. We're suffering during Biden's eviction ban, too, and no one is helping.The US eviction moratorium now lasts through Oct. 3. It "ties the hands of hardworking landlords like me," says Julio Gonzalez.
< Economy, Real Estate, Nordic, Eviction, eviction moratorium, Eviction ban, Eviction freeze, evictions, Landlord, Landlords, BI-freelancer, contributor 2019, Business News Contributor >
- Business Insider 14:00August 17, 2021Rating algorithms on freelance platforms like Upwork are making gig workers increasingly paranoid - here's whyEvery time a customer rates an Amazon purchase or a Lyft driver, they are potentially affecting others freelancers' livelihoods.
< Strategy, Nordic, Kellogg Insight, Contributor, contributor 2019, Lauryn Haas, Ratings, Scores, Upwork, Fiverr, Freelancing, Freelancer, freelance work, review, Reviews >
- Business Insider 16:10August 16, 2021A cofounder of Bleacher Report shares how to avoid burnout as a top creator"Giving yourself permission to step off the hamster wheel can be incredibly freeing" and help you stay motivated, says Dave Nemetz.
< Tech Insider, Nordic, Strategy, Dave Nemetz, Advice, Contributor, contributor 2019, Personal Essay, Success, Bleacher Report, Lauryn Haas, Burnout, Creators, Vacation, Mental Health >
- Business Insider 16:00August 16, 2021Robots are coming for the lawyers - which could be bad for attorneys but great for their clientsThere's a bumper crop of tech startups jostling to automate various types of legal work, and the results could help save both time and money.
< Tech Insider, Strategy, Nordic, The Conversation, automation, Lawyers, Legal Services, Robots, Law, Contributor, contributor 2019, Lauryn Haas, Opinion, AI >
- Business Insider 13:42August 16, 2021I gave into the hype and bought a Peloton bike. After 30 days of using it, my life has genuinely improved."I found the culture around spinning to be a bit intimidating," writes Michelle Gross, who says she already feels stronger after using the bike for a month.
< Tech Insider, Nordic, Life, Peloton, Cycling, Exercise, Wellness, Health, BI-freelancer, contributor 2019 >
- Business Insider 14:28August 15, 2021People aren't going back to work, and I don't blame them. I left the office 15 years ago and never looked back.Melissa Petro says more workers are realizing they shouldn't have to sacrifice their lives to low wages and abusive bosses.
< Opinion, Careers, Strategy, Nordic, Work, WFH, Working parents, BI-freelancer, contributor 2019, Laura Casado, Unemployment, Careers, Strategy, Personal Essay >
- Business Insider 15:45August 14, 2021I'm living all over the US for free by pet-sitting for strangers - here's what it's likeIt took Meagan Drillinger a matter of days to line up pet-sitting gigs in multiple states. She's been able to stay for free while experiencing local life.
< Travel, Real Estate, Nordic, Careers, Life, Careers, house sit, Pet sitting, Travel, Pets, Dogs, BI-freelancer, contributor 2019 >
- Business Insider 14:48August 14, 2021Only in America is filing taxes such a complicated mess. Here's how other countries do it better.Across Europe, governments send people their estimated tax filing instead of making them guess at it under the threat of being charged with tax fraud.
< Opinion, Nordic, Economy, Politics, Pitchfork Economics, Opinion, Paul Constant, Taxes, Filing Taxes, Tax refund, original contributor, contributor 2019 >
- Business Insider 14:05August 14, 2021A global immune system that spots new diseases and curbs their spread could stop the next pandemic - here's howCreating a global information network that spans borders could help identify and stop new pathogens before they threaten world health.
< Science, Nordic, Opinion, Knowable Magazine, Disease, Disease Control, Pandemic, disease prevention, Immune System, Transmission, Illness, Sickness, Lauryn Haas, Contributor, contributor 2019 >
- Business Insider 21:25August 13, 2021SCOTT GALLOWAY: Success and financial security for Americans today depends on 2 things - individual drive and government aidScott Galloway writes about the kind of hunger that drove him to achieve economic security: "Let's hope 61% more kids now have that chance."
< Opinion, Nordic, Scott Galloway, Prof G, Opinion, Contributor, contributor 2019, Poverty, Hunger, Motivation, Fatherhood, low income, Lauryn Haas >
- Business Insider 17:58August 13, 2021I'm a chief flavorist who's developed over 2,000 scents and tastes for some of your favorite foods and beverages. Here's what my day looks like.Marie Wright's favorite flavor of all time is black truffle. Right now she's focused on energy drinks and alternative seafoods.
< Careers, Nordic, Retail, BI-freelancer, Careers, Flavors, Taste, Food & Beverages, Food, Drinks, citrus, Lauryn Haas, contributor 2019, Leadership >
- Business Insider 14:43August 13, 2021I'm a hotel 'vibe manager' who gets paid to curate playlists, set mood lighting, and help guests record their own songsRamon Olguin Sanchez, who works at the Hard Rock Hotel in Los Cabos, Mexico, says his favorite part of the job is planning live concerts.
< Careers, Nordic, Travel, job diary, Careers, Hospitality, Hotels, BI-freelancer, contributor 2019, Work, Music, Hard Rock Hotel, Mexico, Laura Casado >
- Business Insider 22:27August 12, 2021I'm the captain of a yacht that costs $195,000 a week to charter. I do more than just drive the boat - here's what my job is like.Albert Rodriguez manages nine crew members and has been busy with back-to-back trips during the pandemic. It's a dream job, he says.
< Careers, Nordic, BI-freelancer, Yacht, yachting, captain, job diary, The Bahamas, Boating, Boats, Yacht Crew, contributor 2019, Lauryn Haas >
- Business Insider 20:01August 12, 2021Take a look inside Mini's one-of-a-kind EV featuring see-through airbag compartments and a panoramic roofThe Mini Strip is comes from Mini and British fashion designer Paul Smith, who wanted to showcase simplicity and the beauty of raw materials.
< Transportation, MINI, Mini brands, Paul Smith, Car, EV, EV cars, Electric car, contributor 2019, BI-freelancer, Business News Contributor >
- Business Insider 15:09August 12, 2021This $175,000 sedan uses solar power. Its 30-year-old creator is paving the way for more affordable options.EV startup Lightyear was born when an engineer saw how capable his university's solar-powered cars were. Now it wants to bring the tech to the market.
< Transportation, EVs, electric vehicle, Startups, Lightyear, contributor 2019, BI-freelancer, Business News Contributor >
- Business Insider 14:00August 12, 20215 tips for parents navigating the uncertainty of back-to-school season this fallFor caregivers juggling remote, in-person, or hybrid learning, creating set routines and being in touch with teachers will help your kids stay on track.
< Strategy, Nordic, The Conversation, Back to School, remote learning, Hybrid, classroom, Teachers, Technology, Learning, Reading, Lauryn Haas, Contributor, contributor 2019 >
- Business Insider 15:48August 11, 2021This UK firm transforms old Range Rovers into $200,000 collector cars - here's what it's like to drive oneKingsley Cars takes old Range Rovers and gives them a makeover, from their upholstery to their mechanicals. Driving one is as good as it sounds.
< Transportation, Car, Car Review, car reviews, kingsley cars, Classic Cars, Range Rover, Land Rover, contributor 2019, BI-freelancer, Business News Contributor >