- Business Insider 23:29July 25, 2021Democratic Sen. Mark Warner will support 'small carve-out' on filibuster to pass voting-rights legislation"If we have to do a small carve out on filibuster for voting rights - that is the only area where I'd allow that kind of reform," Warner said.
< Politics, Mark Warner, Voting Rights, For the People Act, John Lewis Voting Rights Act, filibuster reform, Senate >
- Business Insider 19:17July 9, 2021GOP lawmakers caught on video telling activists to thank Manchin and Sinema for not blowing up the filibuster: 'Without that we would be dead meat'Former Sen. Rick Santorum said in the video that Republicans are unlikely to roll back social programs once they're in place.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Joe Manchin, Kyrsten Sinema, Filibuster, Joe Biden, Economy, Infrastructure, Policing, White House, Republicans, Democrats, Policy, Rick Santorum, filibuster reform, filibustering >
- New York Magazine 00:22July 9, 2021Kamala Harris Unveils Another Fallback Strategy for Voting RightsGetting voters to the polls despite hostile state laws is a valuable Plan B for voting rights, not a mere a gesture after failure in Congress.
< politics, voting rights, kamala harris, for the people act, john lewis voting rights act, voting rights act of 1965, merrick garland, section 2 voting rights act, voter suppression, republicans, filibuster, filibuster reform, joe manchin, kyrsten sinema >
- Business Insider 15:35July 5, 2021How Republicans out of power are trying to dictate policy to DemocratsSome Republicans are pushing Democrats to dial down a big social spending package. They're also trying to control governance from the minority.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, Congress, Republicans, Democrats, Chuck Schumer, infrastructure bill, Taxes, Mitch McConnell, analysis, Policy, Economy, Filibuster, filibuster reform, filibustering, Reconciliation >
- New York Magazine 21:02June 23, 2021Democrats’ Voting Rights Push Stalled. It Was Still Worth It.The effort to enact the For the People Act was a smart investment that will pay off richly for Democrats.
< politics, voting rights, filibuster reform, for the people act, john lewis voting rights act, joe manchin, stacey abrams, voting rights act of 1965, u.s. supreme court, mitch mcconnell, donald trump, joe biden, voter suppression >
- New York Magazine 22:17June 10, 2021Joe Manchin’s Silent Partners in the SenateThe West Virginian is happy to take the heat for Democrats who quietly oppose filibuster reform, and they are happy he’s happy.
< politics, filibuster reform, joe manchin, kyrsten sinema, chris coons, jacky rosen, jon tester, angus king, catherine cortez masto, maggie hassan, mark kelly >
- Business Insider 18:38June 7, 2021Rep. Jamaal Bowman calls Sen. Joe Manchin 'the new Mitch McConnell' and accuses him of 'doing everything in his power to stop democracy'Former President Donald Trump, who wanted Republicans to nix the filibuster while in office, thanked Manchin for his support of the filibuster.
< Politics, jamaal bowman, Joe Manchin, Mitch McConnell, Voting Rights, For the People Act, Progressives, Filibuster, filibuster reform >
- New York Magazine 19:00June 3, 2021Manchin Probably Welcomes Biden’s Criticism on Voting RightsBiden promised action on voting rights and called out Senate centrists for standing in the way, but the truth is he has little leverage over them.
< politics, voting rights, joe biden, tulsa massacre, joe manchin, kyrsten sinema, republicans, democrats, filibuster reform, for the people act, john lewis voting rights act >
- New York Magazine 16:00May 30, 2021Democrats Need a New Plan to Defend Voting RightsThe outlook is dim for voting rights legislation. DOJ enforcement and voter mobilization may be Democrats’ best shot for defending democracy.
< politics, voting rights, john lewis voting rights advancement act, for the people act, john roberts, kristen clarke, joe biden, voter suppression, shelby county v. holder, joe manchin, filibuster reform, lisa murkowski, donald trump, maga, voting rights act of 1965 >
- New York Magazine 18:55May 18, 2021Is Joe Manchin’s Voting-Rights Campaign Serious?The West Virginia senator is calling for bipartisan action to restore the Voting Rights Act. But absent filibuster reform, it may not matter.
< politics, john lewis voting rights advancement act, voting rights, joe manchin, for the people act, filibuster reform, shelby county v. holder, voting rights preclearance, voter suppression, joe manchin, lisa murkowski >
- New York Magazine 20:48April 21, 2021Reconciliation May Not Solve Democrats’ Immigration WoesAs with the $15 minimum wage, a path to citizenship could succumb to a Senate parliamentarian’s ruling. And then there’s Joe Manchin.
< politics, immigration, comprehensive immigration reform, congressional hispanic caucus, budget reconciliation, dreamers, raul ruiz, joe biden, lindsey graham, marco rubio, $15 minimum wage, senate parliamentarian, elizabeth macdonough, byrd rule, chuck schumer, filibuster reform, american rescue plan, infrastructure >
- Business Insider 21:08April 15, 2021McConnell reportedly wants GOP senators to praise Manchin and Sinema, so they won't move to scrap filibusterHe told Senate Republicans that the Democratic duo could "save this institution" with their resistance to eliminating the filibuster, Politico reports.
< Politics, Economy, Markets, Policy, Joe Manchin, Kyrsten Sinema, Republicans, Democrats, Joe Biden, Infrastructure, Minimum Wage, Voting Rights, Stimulus, Immigration Reform, Economy, Filibuster, filibuster reform, Reconciliation >
- Business Insider 17:42March 28, 2021Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin said he remains opposed to removing the filibuster, amid growing pressure from liberals to erase itManchin holds huge power in a Senate evenly divided between Republicans and Democrats, and is putting a break on liberal demands for sweeping reform.
< Joe Manchin, Democratic Party, U.S. Senate, filibuster reform, UK Weekend >
- New York Magazine 21:25March 25, 2021Manchin Values Bipartisanship Over Voting RightsThe West Virginian doesn’t seem interested in voting rights if it means filibuster reform — unless he’s setting up a test Republicans will fail.
< politics, voting rights, joe manchin, for the people act, bipartisanship, john lewis voting rights act, shelby county v. holder, early voting, partisan gerrymandering, filibuster reform, covid-19 stimulus, budget reconciliation >
- Business Insider 03:15March 24, 2021Pressure is mounting to ditch the filibuster and pass gun reform after back-to-back mass shootings in the USThe dual tragedies have again reinvigorated calls for federal gun control and activists have zeroed in on ditching the filibuster as a first step.
< Politics, boulder shooting, Colorado shooting, Atlanta shootings, filibuster reform, Filibuster, Gun Control >
- Business Insider 20:44March 20, 2021Dianne Feinstein is 'open' to filibuster reform, citing GOP 'abuse' of the Senate procedureSen. Feinstein has long been leery of dramatically altering the procedural tool, pushing instead for bipartisan consensus on a range of legislative issues.
< Politics, Dianne Feinstein, Filibuster, Senate, filibuster reform, Chuck Schumer, Mitch McConnell, Joe Biden >
- Business Insider 23:29March 18, 2021Elizabeth Warren says the filibuster has 'deep roots in racism'In his eulogy for Rep. John Lewis, former President Barack Obama called to abolish the filibuster if it would allow federal voting laws to be passed.
< Economy, Markets, Politics, Economy, Elizabeth Warren, Filibuster, filibustering, filibuster reform, Joe Biden, Mitch McConell, Infrastructure, Policy, Civil Rights Act >
- New York Magazine 17:00February 6, 2021How Much Has the Filibuster Cost America?The damage to progressive legislation and human rights has been inestimable but massive, and it’s past time for reform.
< politics, filibuster, budget reconciliation, civil rights, anti-lynching legislation, voting rights, obamacare, climate change, civil rights act of 1964, civil rights act of 1957, reconstruction, jim crow, filibuster reform, senate >
- New York Magazine 21:11January 29, 2021Why Democrats Must Keep the Filibuster From Killing Voting RightsWith red states racing to further restrict voting, some limited filibuster reform to allow voting-rights legislation to be passed is now essential.
< politics, filibuster, filibuster reform, voting rights, john lewis voting rights act, for the people act, gerrymandering, voter suppression, mitch mcconnell, joe manchin, kyrsten sinema, susan collins, lisa murkowski >