- Breaking Defense 17:31January 14, 2022Pentagon R&E chief pushes new tech initiatives, expects bump in fundingUndersecretary for Research and Engineering Heidi Shyu to brief defense secretary today on how Pentagon can bridge over the dreaded tech “valley of death” between the lab and the battlefield.
< All Domain, Congress, Networks / Cyber, Pentagon, All Domain Operations, artificial intelligence, chief technology officer, Heidi Shyu, hypersonics, NDAA, Rapid Defense Experimentation Reserve, Undersecretary for Research & Engineering >
- Modern Tokyo Times 08:52January 13, 2022North Korea weapons program: Japan watching from afarNorth Korea weapons program: Japan watching from afar Kanako Mita and Lee Jay Walker Modern Tokyo Times The Korean Peninsula is witnessing an upsurge in new sophisticated weapons. Hence, North Korea and South Korea – despite tensions not being heightened in recent times – are focused on strengthening their respective military capabilities. However, for Japan, […]
The post North Korea weapons program: Japan watching from afar first appeared on Modern Tokyo Times.
< America, Asia, China, Geopolitics, Japan, Japan Geopolitics, Miitary Conflict, Geopolitics of Japan, Geopolitics of North Korea, Geopolitics of Northeast Asia, Geopolitics of South Korea, Hypersonic weapons, Japan geopolitics, Japan news agency, Modern Tokyo News, Modern Tokyo Times, North Korea geopolitics, North Korea hypersonic weapons, North Korea military program, Tokyo news agency >
- Breaking Defense 21:20January 12, 2022Space missile warning system to include MEO backup in case of attack: TournearSpace Development Agency will soon issue a request for proposals for the first 28 of its own missile tracking satellites in Low Earth Orbit, the agency’s chief said.
< Space, Hypersonic and Ballistic Space Sensor (HBTSS), hypersonic defense, hypersonic missiles, L3Harris, lockheed martin, missile defense agency, missile tracking, missile warning, National Defense Space Architecture, Next Generation Overhead Persistent Infrared Next-Gen OPIR, Northrop Grumman, Space Based Infrared Systems, Space Development Agency, SpaceX >
- Business Insider 19:47January 11, 2022North Korea fired off a 'more advanced' missile that flew at 10 times the speed of sound, South Korean military saysThe weapon tested Tuesday was much faster than the one tested last week, according to the South Korean military.
< Military & Defense, International, North Korea, Hypersonic missiles >
- Breaking Defense 21:12January 7, 2022In new agreement US, Japan team up on counter-hypersonic researchThe agreement was announced just a day after a North Korean missile test and months after the eye-opening Chinese test of a fractional orbital bombardment system.
< Global, Pentagon, Space, China, Fractional Orbital Bombardment System FOBS, hypersonic, Japan, North Korea >
- Breaking Defense 14:10January 4, 2022L3Harris streamlines with a focus on missile defense, spaceThe reorg eliminates the company’s Aviation Systems segment, which is responsible commercial aviation solutions, systems, networks and pilot training.
< Space, ballistic missile defense, Hypersonic and Ballistic Space Sensor (HBTSS), L3Harris, missile defense agency, missile warning, Space Development Agency, Tracking Layer >
- Breitbart News 16:00January 1, 2022Hayward – The Next War: A Look Ahead at Hypersonic Missiles, A.I., Space Combat, and Bio-Weapons2021 was a year of mounting apprehension about the next great power conflict - perhaps triggered by a Chinese invasion of Taiwan, or a Russian invasion of Ukraine - coupled with uncertainty about what the “next war” will look like.
< National Security, Tech, A.I., biological weapons, China, coronavirus, COVID-19, Drones, hypersonic missiles, Nagorno-Karabakh, Russia, Satellites, Space Force, Taiwan, Ukraine >
- Breaking Defense 15:04December 27, 2021Popular in defense: Breaking Defense’s most read stories in 2021WASHINGTON: Breaking Defense is honored to count among its readers key policymakers, practitioners and top industry officials in the sprawling world of defense — those in the know, for whom JADC2 is not some inscrutable acronym but something totally logical to say to one another. With that comes a great gift for reporters: we are…
< Air Warfare, Land Warfare, Naval Warfare, Pentagon, Space, China, darpa, F35, Fractional Orbital Bombardment System FOBS, hypersonic, socom, Wedgetail, Year in Review 2021 >
- Breaking Defense 01:50December 21, 2021A resilient, layered space-based architecture is well suited to missile warning systems[Sponsored] While the GEO-based Space-Based Infrared System continues to serve US missile-warning needs, emerging threats and an increasingly contested space environment may benefit from a layered architecture in multiple orbits.
< Space, Sponsored Post, Air National Guard, Army, DOD, hypersonic, Missiles, Presented by Raytheon Intelligence & Space, Raytheon, Raytheon Intelligence & Space, raytheon-avalon, Roger Cole, satellite, SBIRS GEO, sponsored content, technology >
- Breaking Defense 20:30December 20, 2021Air Force hypersonic weapon runs into trouble after a third failed testDuring a Dec. 15 test, AGM-183A Air-Launched Rapid Response Weapon (ARRW) booster failed to launch.
< Air Warfare, AGM-183A, Air Force, Air-Launched Rapid Response Weapon ARRW, hypersonic, lockheed martin >
- Business Insider 16:48December 14, 20215 emerging weapons that aircraft carriers will have to defend againstModern carriers have ways to defend themselves, but emerging weapons will pose a new challenge to the next generation of aircraft-carrier designers.
< Military & Defense Contributors, Military & Defense, 19fortyfive, News Contributor, U.S. Navy, Aircraft Carrier, unmanned underwater vehicles, Unmanned Aerial Vehicle, Cyberattack, Hypersonic cruise missile, Hypersonic Weapons >
- Breaking Defense 20:40December 1, 2021Navy defends $80M industrial expansion to fill hypersonic missile gapLawmakers say the money is “early to need,” but Navy argues cuts could imperil the Pentagon’s efforts to ensure its hypersonic weapon programs stay on track.
< Congress, Naval Warfare, Conventional Prompt Strike, HAC, industrial base expansion, Long Range Hypersonic Weapon, SAC >
- Breaking Defense 19:00December 1, 2021New White House space framework highlights military resilience amid ‘serious threat’Despite increasing threats to and from space, the new priorities document stresses that “confrontation or conflict” is not inevitable.
< Global, Space, Chinese hypersonic weapon test, President Joe Biden, Russian anti-satellite test, space debris, space domain awareness SDA, space resiliency, Vice President Kamala Harris >
- Business Insider 01:13December 1, 2021Putin warns NATO of Russia's unstoppable missiles if his 'red line' in Ukraine is crossedPutin warned NATO that deploying troops or advanced missiles to Ukraine would cross a "red line" for Moscow, and boasted of Russia's hypersonic missiles.
< Politics, Military & Defense, International, News, Vladimir Putin, Ukraine, Crimea, Hypersonic missiles >
- Breaking Defense 00:17November 30, 2021It’s a FOBS, Space Force’s Saltzman confirms amid Chinese weapons test confusionChina’s recent test of a FOBS/HGV hybrid is “a very forward-edge technology capability,” said Space Force’s Lt. Gen. Chance (Salty) Saltzman.
< Global, Space, China, Chinese hypersonic weapon test, Fractional Orbital Bombardment System FOBS, hypersonic, Indo-Pacific, Outer Space Treaty, Pacific MMR 2021, Space Force >
- Breaking Defense 12:43November 24, 2021China’s mysterious hypersonic test may take a page from DARPA’s past“Calling it ‘breaking the laws of physics’ does not lead to rational scrutiny,” Secure World’s Victoria Samson said of the recent Chinese hypersonic test.
< Global, Space, Air Launched Rapid Response Weapon, China, Common Aero Vehicle, darpa, hypersonic, hypersonic missiles, X-37B >
- Business Insider 19:21November 22, 2021A Chinese hypersonic weapon that alarmed top US military leaders fired something off as it sped toward its targetThe projectile, possibly a missile or a countermeasure, was reportedly launched mid-flight inside the atmosphere somewhere over the South China Sea.
< Military & Defense, International, China, Hypersonic Weapons, South China Sea, Fractional Orbital Bombardment System, Hypersonic missiles >
- Business Insider 17:08November 21, 2021A Space Force general said US hypersonic missile capabilities are 'not as advanced' China and Russia'sGen. David Thompson said on Saturday: "We're not as advanced as the Chinese or the Russians in terms of hypersonic programs."
< Military & Defense, Science, News UK, UK Weekend, Space Force, Russia, China, Hypersonic missiles >
- Breaking Defense 01:19November 20, 2021Raytheon, Northrop, Lockheed to compete for hypersonic interceptorThe GPI is being developed to knock down hypersonic missiles as they glide through the Earth’s upper atmosphere at about 70 kilometers in altitude at speeds greater than Mach 5.
< Nuclear Weapons, Space, Glide Phase Interceptor, Hypersonic and Ballistic Space Sensor (HBTSS), hypersonic missiles, missile defense agency, SM-3, thaad >
- Breaking Defense 22:38November 17, 2021Hypersonic spy planes and cargo transports? Pentagon is interestedYou can imagine a reusable system that can fly around and drop payloads and come back, or a hypersonic system that can carry other hypersonic systems,” said Gillian Bussey, head of DoD’s Joint Hypersonics Transition Office.
< Air Warfare, Land Warfare, Naval Warfare, Space, Air Launched Rapid Response Weapon, Common Hypersonic Glide Body, Conventional Prompt Strike, HyFly2, Hypersonic Air Breathing Weapon Concept, Joint Hypersonic Transition Office, Long Range Hypersonic Weapon, SR-71 >
- Breaking Defense 19:48November 11, 2021MDA: Hypersonic missile tracking prototypes on point for 2023 launchWhat happens after the HBTSS prototype demonstrations, however, is yet to be determined, according to MDA and industry officials.
< Space, hypersonic and ballistic tracking space sensor (HBTSS), hypersonic missiles, L3Harris, missile defense agency, Next Generation Overhead Persistent Infrared Next-Gen OPIR, Northrop Grumman, Space Based Infrared Systems / SBIRS >
- Breaking Defense 17:32November 11, 2021Chinese orbital bombardment? Don’t panic!Around this time last month the defense world was sent a tizzy by a reported Chinese hypersonic orbital weapons test. While many questions remain unanswered, Bleddyn Bowen and Cameron Hunter of the University of Leicester have some advice: calm down. The following is an abridged and updated summary of a report published by the Asia-Pacific…
< Global, Space, China, Fractional Orbital Bombardment System FOBS, hypersonic, nuclear, op-ed. op-eds. commentary, Pacific MMR 2021 >
- Breaking Defense 00:00October 29, 2021‘Hundreds’ Of China Hypersonic Tests Vs. 9 US; Hyten Says US Moves Too SlowlyGen. Hyten said he’s “probably” going to approve “today or tomorrow a new requirement for Integrated Air and Missile Defense,” which is a pillar of the Joint Warfighting Concept (JWC).
< All Domain, Pentagon, Space, acquisition reform, All Domain Operations, China, Fractional Orbital Bombardment System FOBS, Gen. John Hyten, hypersonics, integrated air and missile defense, vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs >
- Breaking Defense 16:46October 28, 2021No Time To Go Wobbly On HypersonicsIt’s worth recalling just why the United States is now vigorously pursuing hypersonic weaponization with a sense of urgency. A clue: it isn’t because hypersonic zealots just “got their way.”
< Air Warfare, Pentagon, Air Force, China, hypersonic, Missiles, Russia >
- Business Insider 16:07October 27, 2021Top US general says Chinese hypersonic weapon test very close to 'Sputnik moment' and 'has all of our attention'"I think it's very close to that," Gen. Mark Milley said of a reported Chinese hypersonic weapon test. "It has all of our attention."
< Military & Defense, International, China, Hypersonic missiles, Mark Milley, Fractional Orbital Bombardment System, Chinese People's Liberation Army, chinese military, Asia >